PDA

View Full Version : New Humidor

Sooner in Tampa
6/3/2005, 07:55 AM
I do love a good cigar from time to time, so when we saw this humidor in the paper for a mere $40...I had to check it out...it holds 350 cigars, which is a bit much. The deal was just too good to pass up.

http://secure.thompsoncigar.com/images/products/853_1.jpg

6/3/2005, 08:14 AM
You know, I enjoy a cigar from time to time. I guess at one every, oh, five or so years, it's hardly a habit.

The thing that bothers me about them is the way my food tastes for the next couple of days.

If you are in Florida, can't you just leave them unwrapped on the kitchen counter?

Sooner in Tampa
6/3/2005, 08:19 AM
The thing that bothers me about them is the way my food tastes for the next couple of days.

If you are in Florida, can't you just leave them unwrapped on the kitchen counter?I think that most folks would agree about making your food taste funny until you get the right kind of cigar...I am really partial to coronas...they are really light and they don't leave a crappy taste in your mouth.

As far as leaving them on the counter...just about. It doesn't take a lot of work to keep the humidity up...but you still want them fairly cool.

Okla-homey
6/3/2005, 08:50 AM
I think that most folks would agree about making your food taste funny until you get the right kind of cigar...I am really partial to coronas...they are really light and they don't leave a crappy taste in your mouth.

As far as leaving them on the counter...just about. It doesn't take a lot of work to keep the humidity up...but you still want them fairly cool.

Me likey seegars. One a day, more on the weekends. 70 degrees/70% humidity fellas.

BeetDigger
6/3/2005, 08:55 AM
I do love a good cigar from time to time, so when we saw this humidor in the paper for a mere $40...I had to check it out...it holds 350 cigars, which is a bit much. The deal was just too good to pass up.

Let me know what you think about it after you buy it. Does it seal real well? Does it include the hygrometer? Some of the best deals on humidors can be found at JR's. The really good deals are at the stores, but they don't have any down here in Texas, the bastages. Went to the one in High Point NC - was like a kid in a candy store.
:texan:

KABOOKIE
6/3/2005, 08:56 AM

Stop smoking Swisher Sweets! ;)

You might find me on the West End in October with an Ashton Magnum. That West End cigar shop is a nice addition. :texan:

ultimatesooner1
6/3/2005, 11:15 AM
I got a 100 cigar humidor off of ebay a few months ago. I like to keep it stocked with Cuban Monte Cristos and Cohibas

OUthunder
6/3/2005, 11:17 AM
I have a huge desk top humidor that I've had since 1999. It holds 100 stogies and is a beautiful piece of work. I should post a pic of it.

Nice dor make sure it has a good hygrometer!!!!

LilSooner
6/3/2005, 11:17 AM
http://www.armoredhumidor.com/

I bought this for my step dad at christmas he takes it with him when he goes hunting.

OUthunder
6/3/2005, 11:21 AM
http://www.armoredhumidor.com/

I bought this for my step dad at christmas he takes it with him when he goes hunting.

heh! no woodsie flavor gonna be in his smokes. :)

lexsooner
6/3/2005, 11:34 AM
I have a smaller humidor which holds maybe fifty cigars. I have always struggled to keep 70% humidity. My previous humidor, even smaller, had the same problem. A guy at the cigar store said smaller humidors have this problem. I have tried crystals and other solutions, reconditioning, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Okla-homey
6/3/2005, 11:41 AM
I have a smaller humidor which holds maybe fifty cigars. I have always struggled to keep 70% humidity. My previous humidor, even smaller, had the same problem. A guy at the cigar store said smaller humidors have this problem. I have tried crystals and other solutions, reconditioning, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

These have worked very well for me over the years. Available at most decent tobacconists. They're cheap and they do the job.

http://img116.echo.cx/img116/4539/drymwith9ch.gif

link (http://www.drymistat.com/techn.html)

OUthunder
6/3/2005, 11:42 AM
Credo hudification systems are pretty darned good.

Sooner in Tampa
6/3/2005, 01:45 PM
Nice dor make sure it has a good hygrometer!!!!It has the digital hygrometer, it just needs a new battery...he thew an extra one in there...POS plastic case around it :( I am going to go and get a battery for the digital one and see how that works, or I am going to an buy an regular one to just lay in there...NO way I will EVER have 350 stogies...and off to the smoke shop I go :D I will probably head down to Ybor tomorrow...get some cigars that were rolled today :D

OUthunder
6/3/2005, 01:48 PM
It has the digital hygrometer, it just needs a new battery...he thew an extra one in there...POS plastic case around it :( I am going to go and get a battery for the digital one and see how that works, or I am going to an buy an regular one to just lay in there...NO way I will EVER have 350 stogies...and off to the smoke shop I go :D I will probably head down to Ybor tomorrow...get some cigars that were rolled today :D

Just curious, did you get it at Thompson Cigar?

Sooner in Tampa
6/3/2005, 02:07 PM
Just curious, did you get it at Thompson Cigar?HEH...the guy I bought it from did...why, what's up?

OUthunder
6/3/2005, 02:15 PM
HEH...the guy I bought it from did...why, what's up?

It just looked VERY familiar and I have ther catalog sitting in my bathroom and there it was. I bought my first cigar from those guys but now I use www.jrcigars.com for most of my purchases. Great price for what you paid. What's the brand of the humidor?

What kind of cigar do you prefer? I smoke only Cubans and Maduros these days and very rarely do to the kiddies. The golf course is my new smokers haven so to speak.

This is my dor'

http://www.jrcigars.com/graphics/accessories_detail/POLMH.jpg

Sooner in Tampa
6/3/2005, 02:43 PM
Thunder...very nice dor...I like the double coronas that I get in Ybor. A local cigar shop, I usually can get that they rolled today or the previous day. I smoke the Thompson Belemondo or I get a sampler...just to keep trying different stuff. My faves are Arturo Fuentes...but at $7.50 a pop, I stick with the others.

JR's used to have an outlet in NC...is it still there?? I know who dude who is moving the family north to DC and they will be passing through on I-95...I told him that it would be WRONG to NOT stop at JR's. I will book mark that site...they really had some nice stuff. I just HATE waiting for **** to come in the mail. I live 10 minutes from the Thompson outlet here in Tampa.

BeetDigger
6/3/2005, 03:28 PM
Almost positive that there is still one in NY. I seem to remember that it was at about Madison and 42nd or so. I never went to it much though since De La Concha is in NY.

OUthunder
6/3/2005, 04:22 PM
The one in washington was still there when I visited it in 2000. :)

Okla-homey
6/3/2005, 05:03 PM
It has the digital hygrometer, it just needs a new battery...he thew an extra one in there...POS plastic case around it :( I am going to go and get a battery for the digital one and see how that works, or I am going to an buy an regular one to just lay in there...NO way I will EVER have 350 stogies...and off to the smoke shop I go :D I will probably head down to Ybor tomorrow...get some cigars that were rolled today :D

Look. Trust me on this. The digital hygrometers are bullsh*t. The ones sold for humidor use cannot be calibrated and are often wildly innacurate. The analog guage is the only one to trust. If you doubt me, ask your tobacconist to put your digital one in his humidor overnight for you and check it out. I bet you a cigar that it will be between ten and 20 points off his humidor which you can bet he'll have at or very near 70%. That said, there is a digi one made by a company called "Taylor" used by greenhouse types that is worth a sh*t, but they're about $80.00. You can find them on the innerweb. Best analog guage is made by a company called "Credo" which will set you back about $22-25.

Last bit of advice, all of which I've learned the hard way...whatever your box capacity states, its really about half that. Cigars should'nt be crammed in tightly, they need dead space for air in the box to circulate to remain at peak flavor.

There ya go. :texan:

sooneron
6/3/2005, 05:05 PM
Let me know what you think about it after you buy it. Does it seal real well? Does it include the hygrometer? Some of the best deals on humidors can be found at JR's. The really good deals are at the stores, but they don't have any down here in Texas, the bastages. Went to the one in High Point NC - was like a kid in a candy store.
:texan:
I've got one ten minutes from me. Whaddaya want?

lexsooner
6/3/2005, 05:18 PM
Credo hudification systems are pretty darned good.

Thanks for the advice. I will give Credo a try. The humidor itself is a nice one, but I think a lot of humidors come with very inexpensive humidfication systems. My last two came with the standard disk shaped humdifier with the holes, velcroed to the bottom of the lid, kind of cheap-looking actually. I suspect this is at the root of the humidification problem.

I would like to eventually get a larger one with a glass top and sections inside, so I can admire my Cuban babies without opening the humidor. My girlfriend always laughs about how much time and effort and money I spend on something I don't regularly indulge in - smoke them, that is (maybe once a month or so). She thinks I like talking about them more than smoking, especially after I received my Habana shipment. I think she may be right, like car lovers or golf lovers who love to talk more than driving or playing. She's the first woman I know who willingly shares a cigar with me. This must strike a nerve among guys, because they act like it's the sexiest thing they can think of.

lexsooner
6/3/2005, 05:27 PM
Has anyone tried Cigarbid.com for buying humidors or other accessories? I believe it's run by Cigar International. I bought a five pack of cigars a few years ago and thought their prices were great, especially on items without huge name appeal. Today the site is better known and has more bidders which drives the prices up, but I would think you can still find some good deals, even steals, on humidors and other cigar products.

Okla-homey
6/3/2005, 06:05 PM
Straight up fellas. Here's the dealio. The shop I frequent here in the 'Gump are great folks. Call 'em and see what they can do for you on whatever you want..cigars, humidors, accessories, etc.

No kiddin', I watched every Sooner game there on their big screen last season and they love me.

Just give them a call, ask for Mark or Fred and tell them Keith sent you. You wont be disappointed. Heck, after I move to Tulsa this summer, they'll still be my cigar hook-up.

The cigar hook-up. (http://www.smokedoc.com/)

Al Gore
6/3/2005, 06:49 PM
Thunder...very nice dor...I like the double coronas that I get in Ybor. A local cigar shop, I usually can get that they rolled today or the previous day. I smoke the Thompson Belemondo or I get a sampler...just to keep trying different stuff. My faves are Arturo Fuentes...but at $7.50 a pop, I stick with the others.

JR's used to have an outlet in NC...is it still there?? I know who dude who is moving the family north to DC and they will be passing through on I-95...I told him that it would be WRONG to NOT stop at JR's. I will book mark that site...they really had some nice stuff. I just HATE waiting for **** to come in the mail. I live 10 minutes from the Thompson outlet here in Tampa.I was there last week....Is it the one across from the record store?

Sooner in Tampa
6/6/2005, 01:46 PM
I was there last week....Is it the one across from the record store?Is it the one the is not far from I-95? As you are going north on 95 there are tons of signs for it? If that is the one, then it is the one that I am thinking of.

lexsooner
6/6/2005, 04:51 PM
I have a new humidor coming through the mail. It holds up to 100, though it is true a humidor should not have nearly as many cigars as the full capacity advertised. I also ordered a nice Credo humidifier to go with it.

Here is my question: The traditional advice for conditioning a new humidor is wipe the inside down with distilled water and then use a damp sponge placed on plastic inside the humidor, and let the cedar condition itself. I have heard others strongly disagree with this, and they say wiping down the cedar can damage the wood. They advise putting in a cup of distilled water and the full humidifier, and then just let it condition itself to 70% humidity. I would prefer to do the latter, especially since the Credo system is top of the line. Does anyone have any thoughts on this old debate?

Okla-homey
6/6/2005, 05:40 PM
I have a new humidor coming through the mail. It holds up to 100, though it is true a humidor should not have nearly as many cigars as the full capacity advertised. I also ordered a nice Credo humidifier to go with it.

Here is my question: The traditional advice for conditioning a new humidor is wipe the inside down with distilled water and then use a damp sponge placed on plastic inside the humidor, and let the cedar condition itself. I have heard others strongly disagree with this, and they say wiping down the cedar can damage the wood. They advise putting in a cup of distilled water and the full humidifier, and then just let it condition itself to 70% humidity. I would prefer to do the latter, especially since the Credo system is top of the line. Does anyone have any thoughts on this old debate?

If you have a cigar shop nearby, ask them to keep your open humidor in their big walk-in humidor for you for a few days. It will season nicely and be ready to go when you take it home. Be sure to buy a few smokes from them as a thank-you.

OUinFLA
6/6/2005, 05:46 PM

You still have my phone number, don't you?

Sooner in Tampa
6/7/2005, 06:47 AM
You still have my phone number, don't you?HEH...we will have to put this to good use during football season :D

picasso
6/7/2005, 07:54 AM
golf course only for me. and 12 is right, the really good cigars leave the bad after taste for a wee bit. :)

OU4LIFE
6/7/2005, 08:08 AM
I don't smoke, but if I did, this thread would be MOST enlightening.

TexasLidig8r
6/7/2006, 05:29 PM
So Carolina.. how did that humidor end up working out for you?

picasso
6/7/2006, 05:38 PM
http://www.tobaccobymail.com/images/SwisherSweetLittleCigars.jpg

Sooner in Tampa
6/8/2006, 07:51 AM
So Carolina.. how did that humidor end up working out for you?It is great. I stocked it with about 120 "everyday" cigars...and a few good ones. I absolutely love it. It really holds more cigars than I will probably ever have on hand, but it nice to have all of that storage space.

I am really leaning towards getting some of those crystals inside it and see how they work out.

http://www.accboards.com/accboards/emoticons/000beach.gif

OUinFLA
6/8/2006, 08:09 AM
So? When you gonna call me and ask me over for "The Great Smoke-in" ?

Sooner in Tampa
6/8/2006, 08:11 AM
So? When you gonna call me and ask me over for "The Great Smoke-in" ?We are going to have to do this during the summer...nothing like sitting out back by the pool enjoying a good smoke. I will have to get down to buisness and set a date.

SicEmBaylor
7/2/2006, 12:16 AM
I can't stand to go a day now without having my cigar. It started out as a weekly habit but has grown into an, on average, once a day habit. On holidays and other occasions I may smoke between 4-5 a day (but that's definitely not the norm).

Someone on this site, a year or two ago, suggested that I try ordering from JR cigars which I've found to be a pretty decent and reasonable online/mail order place. There's also a humidor in Waco that I go to after class for my daily cigar between box orders. There used to be a great humidor in Muskogee that I'd go to, but I was disappointed to discover that they went out of business.

I've got a box of my prefered brand (H.Upmann coronas) coming in, I think, at the end of the week; however, I need a few to tie me over for the 4th on Tuesday at the usual big family gathering in Salina (OK not KS). So, I'm thinking I'll make a trip to Ted's in Tulsa on Monday. I've been to their Utica location before and didn't care much for it, so I think I'll try their location at The Farm.

And 70/70 is considered best, but I have two humidors. I keep one at 70/70 for long term storage, but I keep another one at 73-75% humidity that I put my cigar in when I know I'll be smoking it in the VERY near future (can't leave it in there long term). I do this because I like my cigars just SLIGHTLY over-humidified.

Someone also suggested Plantations in Norman whenever I'm in the OKC area, and I found them to be great as well. I've only been to the Sooner Mall location and the selection was pretty good.

SicEmBaylor
7/2/2006, 12:21 AM
Look. Trust me on this. The digital hygrometers are bullsh*t. The ones sold for humidor use cannot be calibrated and are often wildly innacurate. The analog guage is the only one to trust. If you doubt me, ask your tobacconist to put your digital one in his humidor overnight for you and check it out. I bet you a cigar that it will be between ten and 20 points off his humidor which you can bet he'll have at or very near 70%. That said, there is a digi one made by a company called "Taylor" used by greenhouse types that is worth a sh*t, but they're about $80.00. You can find them on the innerweb. Best analog guage is made by a company called "Credo" which will set you back about $22-25.

Last bit of advice, all of which I've learned the hard way...whatever your box capacity states, its really about half that. Cigars should'nt be crammed in tightly, they need dead space for air in the box to circulate to remain at peak flavor.

There ya go. :texan:

That's VERY sound advice. I had a box of Cohibas that I got for my birthday one year totally ruined because the digital hygrometer that I had just bought was junk. I ditched the thing (sadly along with most of the Cohibas) and won't even look at a digital again.