PDA

View Full Version : Hey poison ivy knowing about people. I have a question about how to get it out of my

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 03:44 PM
watch band.

Here's my question:

How do I get poison ivy out of my watch band?

Thanks!

colleyvillesooner
5/25/2005, 03:44 PM
Get a new watch band.

You're Welcome.

Mjcpr
5/25/2005, 03:46 PM
Hot, soapy water would be my guess. It's the oil from the plant that irritates the skin so something that gets rid of oil.

Mjcpr
Hot, soapy water would be my guess. It's the oil from the plant that irritates the skin so something that gets rid of oil. Also, a 72 Vega will work.

Stanley1
What is the exact question?

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 03:47 PM
Considering you didn't answer my question, I will retract my gratuity.

I can't get rid of the band because it's part of the watch. And I'm not getting rid of that either. I need to know how to clean it.

I typed it into google and i guess when people talk about "watch" and "poison ivy" they're all, like, "ooh watch out."

Okla-homey
5/25/2005, 03:48 PM
battery acid would work...but then you'd have a different problem.

seriously, try taking an old toothbrush and some toothpaste to it. Sounds wierd, but the toothpaste will cut the plant oil and your watchband will be minty fresh.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 03:49 PM
Hot, soapy water would be my guess. It's the oil from the plant that irritates the skin so something that gets rid of oil.

Notice I did not ask for "guesses." If you don't know for sure how to do it, please stay out of my sight.

When I want your opinion, I will post something like, "Hey poison ivy guessing about people... blah blah blah.."

Thanks!

IB4OU2
5/25/2005, 03:50 PM

I can't get rid of the band because it's part of the watch. And I'm not getting rid of that either. I need to know how to clean it.

I typed it into google and i guess when people talk about "watch" and "poison ivy" they're all, like, "ooh watch out."

Beano use this-

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=45517&catid=82241&aid=335933&aparam=burts_bees_farmers_frie

Your'e Welcome......

crawfish
I don't know, so I'm not giving an answer.

Mjcpr
Notice I did not ask for "guesses." If you don't know for sure how to do it, please stay out of my sight.

When I want your opinion, I will post something like, "Hey poison ivy guessing about people... blah blah blah.."

Thanks!
In that case, I'm certain about the '72 Vega.

BajaOklahoma
5/25/2005, 03:51 PM
Leather or metal band?

TopDaugIn2000
5/25/2005, 03:52 PM

seriously, try taking an old toothbrush and some toothpaste to it. Sounds wierd, but the toothpaste will cut the plant oil and your watchband will be minty fresh.

beano's next thread:

Hey poison ivy knowing about people. I have a question about how to get it out of my teef

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 03:53 PM
Leather or metal band?

Black plastic.

Okla-homey
5/25/2005, 03:53 PM
beano's next thread:

Hey poison ivy knowing about people. I have a question about how to get it out of my teef

OK miss smarty-britches. You will note above, I specified an old toothbrush. And it will work. I promise.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 03:55 PM
Beano use this-

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=45517&catid=82241&aid=335933&aparam=burts_bees_farmers_frie

Your'e Welcome......

That appears to be a product for use to clean your skin and help reduce the oozing blisters and the itching.

While this did not answer my question, I will give you partial credit for actually posting something useful.

TopDaugIn2000
Black plastic.

and you refuse to get rid of that WHY?????

BajaOklahoma
Watchcase - plastic or metal?
Waterproof? Or water resistant?

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 03:56 PM

This, I think I will try. And this also saves me from having to post my next thread which was about how to remove stinky bo smells from a watch band.

Top Notch work there Homey.

Mjcpr
Baja is going to give a great and useful answer, I can just feel it.

achiro
I was also thinking this...washing it would be a good place to start. :D

Okla-homey
5/25/2005, 03:57 PM
That appears to be a product for use to clean your skin and help reduce the oozing blisters and the itching.

While this did not answer my question, I will give you partial credit for actually posting something useful.

Okay then, ignore me. The solution to your problem is as close as your tube of Crest.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 03:57 PM
Watchcase - plastic or metal?
Waterproof? Or water resistant?

Metal Case, but the surrounding part is plastic. It's water resistant. I don't think they can make all those buttons on the calculator actually water proof.

Okla-homey
5/25/2005, 03:58 PM
This, I think I will try. And this also saves me from having to post my next thread which was about how to remove stinky bo smells from a watch band.

Top Notch work there Homey.

Hah. Sweet vindication.

BTW, my wife cleans her jewelry with toothpaste and an old toothbrush too, Believe it or not, the technique cuts the crud right off diamonds and other sparkly things.

Mjcpr
5/25/2005, 03:59 PM
Exactly. Having said that though, if you washed it in a boiling vat of acid for 72 hours, I would still never put it on my wrist. Poison ivy is hell.

OklahomaTrombone
5/25/2005, 04:00 PM
http://www.ebuycenter.com/ProductImages/images/CMD40B-1.jpg?

mdklatt
Here's my question:

How do I get poison ivy out of my watch band?

You'll get much better results if you're honest. We all know it's not really your "watch band" that got stuck in poison ivy.

IB4OU2

Actually Beano you use it before you come in contact with the plant or if you suspect you did come in contact with it you can use it to remove the oil.... I use it occasionally....I'm very allergic and take preventive measures, since there's so much of it on my property.....Thanks for the partial credit though.........:)

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 04:01 PM

Which is the main point of this thread... what do I wash it with? Pay attention.

BajaOklahoma
5/25/2005, 04:03 PM
Metal Case, but the surrounding part is plastic. It's water resistant. I don't think they can make all those buttons on the calculator actually water proof.

Do you think that you might have gotten it into the calculator area?
Or just the band?
Or not sure?
Brand of watch?

OUthunder
5/25/2005, 04:03 PM

try soaking it in rubbing alcohol overnight.

You're welcome.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 04:04 PM
You'll get much better results if you're honest. We all know it's not really your "watch band" that got stuck in poison ivy.

Ha! An innuendo. Wow. Did not see that coming. No sir ree. Smacked me right out of the blue. I think that actually made the old ticker skip a beat I was so surprised.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 04:05 PM
Do you think that you might have gotten it into the calculator area?
Or just the band?
Or not sure?
Brand of watch?

I was just kidding about the calculator. Here's the watch:

http://www.sport-tiedje.de/suunto/suuntoobserverst_detail.jpg

Right now it's sitting on the counter in the bathroom.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 04:09 PM
try soaking it in rubbing alcohol overnight.

You're welcome.

Yeah, this seems like a good bet. I know that alcohol can act as a solvent for some types of oil. I was just kinda wondering if anyone knew of a commercial product specifically for this purpose.

Instead, everyone is all over me with wisenheimer remarks and stuff.

What did I ever do to you people?

mdklatt
5/25/2005, 04:09 PM
Ha! An innuendo.

I think technically an innuendo would have been a lot more subtle.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 04:13 PM
I think technically an innuendo would have been a lot more subtle.

Well, technically, it's the amps, not the volts that kill you, but I wouldn't go throwing a hairdryer in the bathtub all the same.

TopDaugIn2000
5/25/2005, 04:17 PM
I vote for rubbing alcohol as well

achiro
5/25/2005, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't soak it in alcohol. Maybe after you wash it with good old soap and water, a quick swipe with a cotton ball soak with alcohol but I'd be afraid the alcohol would damage the sexy chick magnet type band and you'd be stuck replacing it with some cheap plastic looking thing...oh wait.

BajaOklahoma
5/25/2005, 04:27 PM
1. You really want to keep this watch.

2. Do not wear it again until it has been cleaned and all signs of poison ivy on your arm has cleared up. The heat/sweat from the watch would make it difficult to decide if the watch still still poison ivy oil on it or if it didn't fully clear up on your arm.

3. The absolute best way to clean it is to take it to a watch place. You have 5 possible openings in which the cleaner of your choice will enter the watch. The more important the watch is to you, the more likely it will happen. They can open the case, remove the workings and clean it. I have no idea what it will cost.

4. Call the manufacturer's service department. They may be able to clean it very cheaply and do a better job.

5. Do not use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide as your watch will not look as pretty as it does now. The posion ivy soap may work (I have never seen it before), but you would have to be very careful around the case. Q-tips, artist paint brushes (not to be used again). Plastic cleaners may work, though using it on the glass crystal is not good. Lint-free towel. But this is my least favorite of the options - I am afraid the watch may not work when you are done.

6. Don't work in areas with poison ivy while you are wearing anything you remotely want to keep.

Mjcpr
5/25/2005, 04:29 PM
Toldya.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 04:29 PM
Nevermind. Turns out it was just a heat rash.

Penguin
5/25/2005, 04:30 PM
No. No alcohol.

Poison ivy oil reacts with rubbing alcohol and creates 100% pure cyanide gas.

Go to K-Mart and buy you a brand spanking new calculator watch. Get one that beeps a lot. I love that.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 04:30 PM
Nevermind. Turns out it was just a heat rash.

Just kidding. Thanks baja. That's some good work you done there.

I didn't know there was poison ivy back there til it was too late. I was just clipping up a branch that fell off a tree during a storm.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 04:32 PM
1. You really want to keep this watch.

2. Do not wear it again until it has been cleaned and all signs of poison ivy on your arm has cleared up. The heat/sweat from the watch would make it difficult to decide if the watch still still poison ivy oil on it or if it didn't fully clear up on your arm.

3. The absolute best way to clean it is to take it to a watch place. You have 5 possible openings in which the cleaner of your choice will enter the watch. The more important the watch is to you, the more likely it will happen. They can open the case, remove the workings and clean it. I have no idea what it will cost.

4. Call the manufacturer's service department. They may be able to clean it very cheaply and do a better job.

5. Do not use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide as your watch will not look as pretty as it does now. The posion ivy soap may work (I have never seen it before), but you would have to be very careful around the case. Q-tips, artist paint brushes (not to be used again). Plastic cleaners may work, though using it on the glass crystal is not good. Lint-free towel. But this is my least favorite of the options - I am afraid the watch may not work when you are done.

6. Don't work in areas with poison ivy while you are wearing anything you remotely want to keep.

How do you know so much about poison ivy and watches?

BajaOklahoma
5/25/2005, 04:32 PM
I had to include one smart*** answer, just so I could fit in.

Mjcpr
5/25/2005, 04:33 PM
How do you know so much about poison ivy and watches? Weren't you on the board yesterday? Her husband is a dentist.

Edit: Okay, that was OUS...mom. Same diff though, really.

Beano's Fourth Chin
5/25/2005, 04:35 PM
Weren't you on the board yesterday? Her husband is a dentist.

Edit: Okay, that was OUS...mom. Same diff though, really.

baja is a chick?

Ok, nevermind. No way I'm doing any of that stuff now.

I'm just gonna put it in the dish washer.

Beef
5/25/2005, 04:37 PM
I think DC still wants his sponsor gift. Give it to him.

1stTimeCaller
5/25/2005, 04:40 PM
rub with bleach, let dry, rub with bleach again, let dry again.

You are very welcome

BajaOklahoma
5/25/2005, 04:40 PM
How do you know so much about poison ivy and watches?

I am an R.N. (no, that is not a registered nut).
I work at an elementary school and we see poison ivy every spring.
I am old and have learned a lot over the years.
My great-uncle was the jeweler at John A. Browns in downtown OKC for many years. My step-father also liked to repair things, so i picked up tidbits from him - especially electronic stuff.

And I didn't want to let Mjcpr down.

BajaOklahoma
5/25/2005, 04:41 PM
baja is a chick?

Ok, nevermind. No way I'm doing any of that stuff now.

I'm just gonna put it in the dish washer.

Hey! :mad: :mad:

Okla-homey
5/25/2005, 05:11 PM
I am an R.N. (no, that is not a registered nut).
I work at an elementary school and we see poison ivy every spring.
I am old and have learned a lot over the years.
My great-uncle was the jeweler at John A. Browns in downtown OKC for many years. My step-father also liked to repair things, so i picked up tidbits from him - especially electronic stuff.

And I didn't want to let Mjcpr down.

pheww. Thats a relief. I was starting to fear you were casing Beano's watch for some future larcenous activity.

OUSoonerFan3
5/25/2005, 06:19 PM
Try Tecnu.

http://www.teclabsinc.com/pro_tecnu.html

GDC
5/25/2005, 09:57 PM
I'm not allergic to it so I've never really thought about it. Try some acetone or ether.