PDA

View Full Version : Pistachios RMFO!!!

Veritas
5/25/2005, 09:01 AM
Wifester sent a bag to work with me today. I popped the hatch on them about five mintues ago. I CAN'T STOP.

I'm like some sort of crazed ginormous squirrel, huddled over in my little darkened corner of the office cracking shells and chewing as fast as I can, only stopping to lick the salt off my mouth when it starts to sting.

Ok, back to the frenetic snacking.

colleyvillesooner
5/25/2005, 09:10 AM
Brought to you by google image search for "Pistachio"

http://www.rodriguezbrothers.com/images/familyalbum/pistachio.jpg

King Crimson
5/25/2005, 09:16 AM
my g-maw in a typically oddball December gift (fur hat with earflaps, 8 pack of tube socks, etc.) bought me a HUGE bag of pistachios one year--good times.

IB4OU2
5/25/2005, 09:24 AM
One of the few things that come from California that I like, but they can add the pounds real quick if you get addicted to them......

Veritas
5/25/2005, 09:31 AM
but they can add the pounds real quick if you get addicted to them......Yeh buddy. Those things are high in fat. We went to Sam's last week and I came up to the cart clutching a 4 lb bag of them and Wifester was like, "so I guess you've given up on that whole cutting bodyfat thing, eh."

I slinked back over and put them away.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/25/2005, 09:32 AM
I almost posted this same thread last night. Yum,

OUthunder
5/25/2005, 09:32 AM
Only the white ones because the red ones are messy and stuff.

Oldnslo
5/25/2005, 09:33 AM
Pistachios are The Great Snack Food.

colleyvillesooner
5/25/2005, 09:35 AM
Yeh buddy. Those things are high in fat. We went to Sam's last week and I came up to the cart clutching a 4 lb bag of them and Wifester was like, "so I guess you've given up on that whole cutting bodyfat thing, eh."

I slinked back over and put them away.

That's one way to handle it. I'd have gone with one of these: ;)

http://www.hudsonmartialarts.com.au/members/images/Strikes/BackHand.jpg

Yes, I'm still single and No I'd never hit a girl..

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/25/2005, 10:17 AM
I can just picture V all hunched over his desk hissing at anyone that tries to take his precious...

Veritas
5/25/2005, 10:19 AM
I can just picture V all hunched over his desk hissing at anyone that tries to take his precious...
Close. I'm now hiding under it in the darkest recess...

Oldnslo
5/25/2005, 10:20 AM
nuts?!

proud gonzo
5/25/2005, 11:02 AM
i've never eaten pistachios.

BlondeSoonerGirl
5/25/2005, 11:06 AM
i've never eaten pistachios.

Holy crap.

Your mission for the day to buy some, eat them and give us a report.

They're guuuud.

Scott D
5/25/2005, 11:11 AM
Wifester sent a bag to work with me today. I popped the hatch on them about five mintues ago. I CAN'T STOP.

I'm like some sort of crazed ginormous squirrel, huddled over in my little darkened corner of the office cracking shells and chewing as fast as I can, only stopping to lick the salt off my mouth when it starts to sting.

BUSTED!!!!!!

proud gonzo
5/25/2005, 11:14 AM
Holy crap.

Your mission for the day to buy some, eat them and give us a report.

They're guuuud.

Yes ma'am :D

AlbqSooner
5/25/2005, 12:01 PM
Originally, Pistachios were imported to the U.S. from Persia. Later from Iran. When the Shah croaked, Pistachios were as rare as Cuban Cigars. Then some people in California, and Southern New Mexico started raising them.

Red Pistachios will stain your fingers for approximately 3 weeks per pound eaten. FWIW

Boarder
5/25/2005, 12:03 PM
Why on Earth did they start dying them red anyway? I always thought that was ignorant.

KC//CRIMSON
5/25/2005, 12:03 PM

i thought you guys only ate corn nuts?

Sooner51
5/25/2005, 01:42 PM
Why on Earth did they start dying them red anyway? I always thought that was ignorant.
Hmmmmmm.

Pistachio Fact & Fiction:
Why are pistachios sometimes dyed red?
The California pistachio industry often explains that this is done to hide blemishes on the shells. Actually, there's a different reason:

In the Middle East, pistachios were often left in their reddish husks and were brined before roasting. This gave the shells a pink cast. When pistachios were first imported into the U.S., processors attempted imitating the color by using red dye. They found that the coloring made the nuts more noticeable in retail displays and made the nuts even redder! (Middle Eastern people, who until recently were the biggest pistachio consumers, were accustomed to eating nuts with blemished shells and wouldn't care whether or not the nuts were dyed.)

Amidst current trends toward more “natural” foods, consumption of dyed red pistachios has declined dramatically in recent years.

Veritas
5/25/2005, 01:44 PM
i thought you guys only ate corn nuts?
No, we ARE corn nuts.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
5/25/2005, 02:54 PM
Why on Earth did they start dying them red anyway? I always thought that was ignorant.In South Bend they dye them green. When I went to Notre Dame last yr they gave me a big bag. I loved those nuts!

Mjcpr
5/25/2005, 02:55 PM
This is why you never hear of Leprauchans making good watch dogs.

DCSooner
5/25/2005, 02:56 PM
Man there is nothing like cozying up with a warm bag of nuts.

royalfan5
10/23/2006, 09:20 PM
Pistachios are far and away the best nut. The good as nuts, pudding, ice cream, and probably more. I heart pistachios.

sanantoniosooner
10/23/2006, 09:24 PM
Pistachios are far and away the best nut. The good as nuts, pudding, ice cream, and probably more. I heart pistachios.
Good to see you take that whole "search before you post" thing so seriously.

royalfan5
10/23/2006, 09:28 PM
Good to see you take that whole "search before you post" thing so seriously.
But aren't pistachios great though?

sanantoniosooner
10/23/2006, 09:31 PM
pistachios are one of my favorites.

I like variety too much to say one is the best. Almonds are right up there to me. Black Walnut Ice Cream rocks. White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies are worthy of obsession.

royalfan5
10/23/2006, 09:35 PM
pistachios are one of my favorites.

I like variety too much to say one is the best. Almonds are right up there to me. Black Walnut Ice Cream rocks. White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies are worthy of obsession.
I agree with all your assertions right there. In general nuts are a great snack, although I have never cared that much for pecans.

sanantoniosooner
10/23/2006, 09:38 PM
I agree with all your assertions right there. In general nuts are a great snack, although I have never cared that much for pecans.
Pecan Praline Sunday Cones from Schwan's are worth robbing a yellow truck for.

royalfan5
10/23/2006, 09:39 PM
Pecan Praline Sunday Cones from Schwan's are worth robbing a yellow truck for.
I'll keep that in mind

william_brasky
10/23/2006, 09:43 PM
Anybody remember the scene from Naked Gun when they're staking out Ricardo Montalban's penthouse?

proud gonzo
10/23/2006, 10:09 PM
for the record, I've still never eaten pistachios.

sanantoniosooner
10/23/2006, 10:11 PM
And I've never been to Boston in the fall.

crawfish
10/23/2006, 11:00 PM

BSG is soooo gonna poke your ear.

Boarder
10/23/2006, 11:04 PM
And I've never been to Boston in the fall.
Pirates Who Don't Do Anything Spek!

Whole Foods had shelled roasted unsalted pistachios on thier mixed nuts bar.

I was going to call it thier warm nut bar but I didn't think that'd go over well 'round here.

GottaHavePride
10/24/2006, 12:34 AM
Why not? I like when my nuts are warm.

Veritas
10/24/2006, 08:47 AM
I still love pistachios. Mmm...warm nuts.

WILBURJIM
10/24/2006, 08:48 AM
When the Shah croaked, Pistachios were as rare as Cuban Cigars. Then some people in California, and Southern New Mexico started raising them.

I remember those inbetween days, months, years. Still think the Iranian nuts
taste better than the California ones.

colleyvillesooner
10/24/2006, 08:55 AM
I still love pistachios. Mmm...warm nuts.

VERITAS SIGHTING!!!

Veritas
10/24/2006, 09:16 AM
VERITAS SIGHTING!!!
:O :O

Yeah, I hate not being able to **** away work like I used to on SF.com. :(

colleyvillesooner
10/24/2006, 09:18 AM

You haven't missed much. We'll keep the light on for ya. :D

Scott D
10/24/2006, 12:36 PM

I'm just sayin'...if some callahan lovin yahoo would gimme a call when there's a job openin......but nooooooo.

proud gonzo
10/24/2006, 12:43 PM
BSG is soooo gonna poke your ear.hell, i'm probably allergic to pistachios :rolleyes:

Sooner_Bob
10/24/2006, 01:30 PM
hell, i'm probably allergic to pistachios :rolleyes:

You still haven't tried them?