PDA

View Full Version : if this turns out as predicted, lots of us are toast.

Okla-homey
5/19/2005, 08:00 PM
About every 100 years, more or less, the world has an influenza outbreak. This is not the 3-day congestion variety, but the serious killer shiite. Here's the latest:

Chicken McNugget's Revenge (http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/panflu/news/may1905wha.html)

Last time was 1918, so we are a few years early. That flu killed an estimated 20 million people. Made Bubonic plague look like the sniffles in comparison. :eek:

Jerk
5/19/2005, 08:12 PM
The preacher man says it’s the end of time
And the Mississippi River she’s a goin’ dry
The interest is up and the Stock Markets down
And you only get mugged
If you go down town

I live back in the woods, you see
A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me
I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive
And a country boy can survive
Country folks can survive

I can plow a field all day long
I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn
We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too
Ain’t too many things these ole boys can’t do
We grow good ole tomatoes and homemade wine

Because you can’t starve us out
And you cant makes us run
Cause one-of- ‘em old boys raisin ole shotgun
And we say grace and we say Ma’am
And if you ain’t into that we don’t give a damn

We came from the West Virginia coalmines
And the Rocky Mountains and the and the western skies
And we can skin a buck; we can run a crop line

I had a good friend in New York City
He never called me by my name, just hillbilly
My grandpa taught me how to live off the land
And his taught him to be a businessman
He used to send me pictures of the Broadway nights
And I’d send him some homemade wine

But he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife
For 43 dollars my friend lost his life
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Cause a country boy can survive

Cause you can’t starve us out and you can’t make us run
Cause one-of- ‘em old boys raisin ole shotgun
And we say grace and we say Ma’am
And if you ain’t into that we don’t give a damn

We’re from North California and south Alabam
And little towns all around this land
And we can skin a buck; we can run a crop line

jk the sooner fan
5/19/2005, 08:20 PM
my maternal great grandfather died from the flu epidemic in the late 1910's...something my grandmother always talks about.......just hard to imagine scores of people dying like that

KaiserSooner
5/19/2005, 08:27 PM
Last time was 1918, so we are a few years early. That flu killed an estimated 20 million people. Made Bubonic plague look like the sniffles in comparison. :eek:
I don't konw about that, considering the Black Death killed something along the lines of a third of the world's population.

Okla-homey
5/19/2005, 08:53 PM
I don't konw about that, considering the Black Death killed something along the lines of a third of the world's population.

I think it was just a third of Europe. Tragic, but not a pandemic.

jk the sooner fan
5/19/2005, 08:54 PM
bring out yer dead...........bring out yer dead..........

KaiserSooner
5/19/2005, 09:01 PM
I think it was just a third of Europe. Tragic, but not a pandemic.
Europe and Asia. Either way, it killed something like 10 times the number of the flu outbreak after WWI.

Penguin
5/19/2005, 09:04 PM
We're toast. I'm quitting my job and spending my savings on cheap booze and even cheaper hookers.

KaiserSooner
5/19/2005, 09:08 PM
Here's a blurb from wikipedia...

During the mid-1300s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1300s), the Black Death, a massive and deadly epidemic swept through Eurasia, killing one-third of the population by some estimates, and subsequently changing the course of both Asian and European history. The 200 million people who died was the largest death toll from any known epidemic of any disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_Plague

Blitzkrieg
5/19/2005, 09:10 PM
Really? (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35450&highlight=tsunami)

The number of dead from the black death is debateable, many say it was 25 million in 5years. Some say 200 million, the truth is no one knows. The spanish flu is worse, and more deadly, it ran its course in a few months.

Stop and think if a terrorist refined this strain, and sporead it via suicide soldiers through air travel. 200 million would be nothing.

Okla-homey
5/19/2005, 09:16 PM
Ever read Stephen King's "The Stand?" I know its fiction (and damn good fiction too) but somehow, I think we'd have a tougher time of it today than they did in 1918 or during the Middle Ages in Eurasia. People are far less independent and self-sufficient now -- Jerk's "Bocephus" lyrics notwithstanding.

That, and the fact that at least until the inevitable social chaos ensued and the power went off, the media and the innerweb would whip everyone up into an absolute homocidal frenzy.

No sir, even a pandemic that only killed one in ten would probably cause the end of life as we know it for several years.

Harry Beanbag
5/20/2005, 12:59 AM
Whatever happened to the small pox virus samples that came up missing a couple of years ago? That can really spook you if you think about it. How long has it been since we stopped vaccinating for the pox? I'm 33 and I was never immunized against it.

Harry Beanbag
5/20/2005, 01:05 AM
From homey's original link:

Chinese authorities confiscated contaminated eggs from Vietnam hidden in the carry-on luggage of two airline passengers on separate flights, according to The Standard newspaper of China. Dogs sniffed out the 45 chicken, duck, and goose eggs Apr 28. The duck and goose eggs tested positive for the presence of H5N1 virus, the newspaper said.

What the hell is wrong with people?

silverwheels
5/20/2005, 01:05 AM
Ever read Stephen King's "The Stand?" I know its fiction (and damn good fiction too)

That's funny. That's the first thing I thought of when I went through the thread.

Baby, can you dig your man?

Okla-homey
5/20/2005, 05:11 AM
Whatever happened to the small pox virus samples that came up missing a couple of years ago? That can really spook you if you think about it. How long has it been since we stopped vaccinating for the pox? I'm 33 and I was never immunized against it.

Did you know a couple years ago they started giving smallpox vaccinations to us in the miltary, and lots of civilian first-responders?

Like everyone else older than 35 or so, I had been vaccinated as a child, but they made me go thru it again becaise they believe the childhood vaccination ceases to protect after 20 years or so.

SoonerBorn68
5/20/2005, 08:42 AM
my maternal great grandfather died from the flu epidemic in the late 1910's...something my grandmother always talks about.......just hard to imagine scores of people dying like that

Well, that was weird...exact same thing happened in my family.

colleyvillesooner
5/20/2005, 08:56 AM
That's funny. That's the first thing I thought of when I went through the thread.

Baby, can you dig your man?

I thought "bum de bum de bum" :D

OUstudent4life
5/20/2005, 10:40 AM
The US would see a major flu coming (since, for various reasons, it never really starts here), and would stock up on not just vaccines, but the major antivirals. From what I remember from pharm class, there are some nasty (for the flu, not for us) drugs to stop the flu cold, no pun intended. Well, ok, kinda intended. I'm not that funny.

StoopTroup
5/20/2005, 11:11 AM
Remember to wash your hands after using the bathroom folks...

Also avoid touching anything and always where your latex gloves and SARS mask...;)

1stTimeCaller
5/20/2005, 11:16 AM
Did you know a couple years ago they started giving smallpox vaccinations to us in the miltary, and lots of civilian first-responders?

Like everyone else older than 35 or so, I had been vaccinated as a child, but they made me go thru it again becaise they believe the childhood vaccination ceases to protect after 20 years or so.

I'm good to walk through a room filles with small pox and anthrax.

Boarder
5/20/2005, 11:30 AM
Ever read Stephen King's "The Stand?" I know its fiction (and damn good fiction too) but somehow, I think we'd have a tougher time of it today than they did in 1918 or during the Middle Ages in Eurasia. People are far less independent and self-sufficient now -- Jerk's "Bocephus" lyrics notwithstanding.

That, and the fact that at least until the inevitable social chaos ensued and the power went off, the media and the innerweb would whip everyone up into an absolute homocidal frenzy.

No sir, even a pandemic that only killed one in ten would probably cause the end of life as we know it for several years.
If the power went off, it'd be kind of hard to look at the internet. :D

asher
3/18/2006, 05:51 AM
Normally in every country bird flu viral took place. It is main issue in all the countries that how is this possible to remove these viral infections, yesterday I meet my friend he gave me information about avian flu infection and suggested a drug named Tamiflu drug it is very useful in viral infection tamiflu drug you can try it
http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s3353-s-tamiflu.aspx
Bird flu is not spread by human to human , this spread by birds.Anti-virus drugs such as Tamiflu are used to treat diseases that are caused by viruses thus, the name antiviral

Mongo
3/18/2006, 07:35 AM
does Tamiflu work for herpes?

Tailwind
3/18/2006, 03:37 PM
When do you think they'll have the vacination shots ready?

slickdawg
3/18/2006, 03:41 PM
The preacher man says it’s the end of time
And the Mississippi River she’s a goin’ dry
The interest is up and the Stock Markets down
And you only get mugged
If you go down town

I live back in the woods, you see
A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me
I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive

Kid Rock had a nice spin on this in 1999

Computer Man says its the end of time
December 31st 1999
I live back in the woods you see
So Y2K doesn't mean a ****ing thing to me

walkoffsooner
3/18/2006, 04:09 PM
What is a crop line?I have a trot line. Get on meth can't even make those people feel bad much less kill them.

GDC
3/18/2006, 04:35 PM
Actually influenza pandemics occur more frequently than every 100 years. We also conveniently forget that AIDS and malaria kill millions of humans every year.

Penguin
3/18/2006, 04:55 PM
Normally in every country bird flu viral took place. It is main issue in all the countries that how is this possible to remove these viral infections, yesterday I meet my friend he gave me information about avian flu infection and suggested a drug named Tamiflu drug it is very useful in viral infection tamiflu drug you can try it
http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s3353-s-tamiflu.aspx
Bird flu is not spread by human to human , this spread by birds.Anti-virus drugs such as Tamiflu are used to treat diseases that are caused by viruses thus, the name antiviral

Do you work for Tamiflu? Odd that you would register just to post in a year old thread. :texan:

MamaMia
3/18/2006, 10:52 PM
I have a Sharper Image Ionic Breeze, some coral calcium and a case of Noni juice to wash them down with, so I'm good. :D