PDA

View Full Version : Flags of our Fathers

Harry Beanbag
5/16/2005, 07:41 PM
Anbody else read this book yet? It's about the lives of the six Marines in the famous Iwo Jima flag raising photograph. It's actually written by one of their sons. I read it over the weekend and it is a very informative and emotional book that I recommend to anybody interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/055338029X/ref=dp_nav_0/104-2967332-2807932?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=507846&s=books

Okla-homey
5/16/2005, 07:45 PM
Call him drunken Ira Hayes, he don't answer anymore,
not the whisky drinkin' Indian, or the Marine who went to war...

Actually, one of the most poignant songs Johnny Cash ever did.

(Poor Hayes died face down in a bar ditch on the reservation on a cold night after he got home from WWII...at least that's the legend.)

Harry Beanbag
5/16/2005, 07:48 PM
According to the book he died face down in old shack after drinking and playing cards all night in 1955. He was a tortured soul even before the war.

critical_phil
5/16/2005, 07:53 PM
there was a documentary on this recently on the history channel.

from the 60th anniv. thread:

i was fortunate enough to get a tour of iwo back in 92.

it's a weird feeling. hard to describe. i don't believe in ghosts, but there is a strange energy about that place.

i still get the heebie jeebies everytime i think of iwo.............

Seibu
5/17/2005, 02:18 AM
God Bless the Corporation.

http://www.mobileguru.co.uk/Jokes/Iraq/images/iraq_mcdonalds_jpg.jpg

IB4OU2
5/17/2005, 08:17 AM
Anbody else read this book yet? It's about the lives of the six Marines in the famous Iwo Jima flag raising photograph. It's actually written by one of their sons. I read it over the weekend and it is a very informative and emotional book that I recommend to anybody interested.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/055338029X/ref=dp_nav_0/104-2967332-2807932?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=507846&s=books

Yes, I read it a few years ago.....it's an excellent book.....

salth2o
5/17/2005, 08:54 AM
Yes, I read it last summer, its a great book.

SoonerSpidey69
5/17/2005, 09:40 AM
Clint Eastwood's next directorial project as well...

...using the same screenwriter from Million Dollar Baby who just made his directorial debut this month with Crash

imjebus
5/17/2005, 11:41 AM
It seems like I read that all but one of those guys got killed within hours after that picture. Don't know if thats right but It seems like it was on a documentary or something I watched.

Harry Beanbag
1/9/2006, 09:23 AM
It seems like I read that all but one of those guys got killed within hours after that picture. Don't know if thats right but It seems like it was on a documentary or something I watched.

Three of them were killed within the month. The other three survived the war.

Just an update, the Eastwood directed movie is scheduled for an August 2006 release. I've heard that the author of the book, James Bradley, thinks the film will be better than his book. We'll see I guess.

The cast is interesting. I'm not crazy about the guy playing Ira Hayes (Adam Beach), but there's potential with some of the rest. Ryan Phillippe is playing the author's father, James Bradley. Barry Pepper is playing the oldest of the main characters, Mike Strank. The other three main characters are all very young unknown actors.

SoonerBorn68
1/9/2006, 09:48 AM
I think it'll be my next read. A few years ago I bought this signed photo of Charles Lindberg from Ebay.

http://members.aol.com/happyii/lindberg.jpg

OklahomaTuba
1/9/2006, 09:55 AM
Ryan Phillippe is playing the author's father, James Bradley.

Heh. Thats funny.

Harry Beanbag
1/9/2006, 10:01 AM
Heh. Thats funny.

Why? I don't get it.

booomer
10/29/2006, 08:46 PM
We saw this movie yesterday......I thought it was very good and I'm ashamed to admit it, but I didn't know that there was some controversy surrounding the planting of the flag.

Go see it, but be prepared for some "Saving Private Ryan" type moments.

crawfish
10/29/2006, 10:18 PM
I saw it Friday. I enjoyed it even though it felt a little disjointed at times. The battle scenes were very well done - a very interesting contrast with Saving Private Ryan, very different kinds of battles.