PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360

Mjcpr
5/13/2005, 11:40 AM
Due to hit stores in North America around Thanksgiving (I'm shocked!!). Supposed to have HD-like graphics and Surround Sound.

Screen Shot:
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/608/608242/2-days-to-vegas-20050428111814886.jpg

The Console:
http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1141/1114223718.jpg

mdklatt
5/13/2005, 11:43 AM
Wow. Xbox already supports HD, although I haven't seen any games that go beyond 480P (DVD resolution).

My Opinion Matters
5/13/2005, 11:52 AM
Look out Beano! Fire truck behind you!

Mjcpr
5/13/2005, 11:54 AM
This is your assignment: search for XBox 360 screenshots. It took me quite a while just to find that one.

mrowl
5/13/2005, 11:59 AM
its not "hd like", it is HD. And I have heard anything from 720p to 1080i

Mjcpr
5/13/2005, 12:01 PM
I'm sorry, pixel nerd. I was just going from what I briefly read and my memory ain't what she used to be. :)

GottaHavePride
5/13/2005, 12:01 PM
So will it do anything else other than just adding HD and 5.1 functionality to the X-Box? Cause if that's it, I'll just pick up a regular X-Box. My tv doesn't support HD anyway.

mrowl
5/13/2005, 12:03 PM
here ya go... here is the fact sheet:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/factsheet.htm

I think I just found my new DVD player.

Mjcpr
5/13/2005, 12:04 PM
So will it do anything else other than just adding HD and 5.1 functionality to the X-Box? Cause if that's it, I'll just pick up a regular X-Box. My tv doesn't support HD anyway. ........free online games, slideshows, music and video chats with friends.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,156436,00.html

mdklatt
5/13/2005, 12:06 PM

Doesn't the current Xbox support this?

mrowl
5/13/2005, 12:06 PM
supposedly can be used as your HD tv "card" for your pc.... cool.

mrowl
5/13/2005, 12:07 PM
Doesn't the current Xbox support this?

only at 480, not really...

silverwheels
5/13/2005, 12:08 PM
*cough* PlayStation 3 *cough*

mrowl
5/13/2005, 12:13 PM

I think the reason xbox will end up winning out is the ability to interact with Windows, pdas, phones, mp3 players, etc... Sony does not have that kind of market.

mdklatt
5/13/2005, 12:15 PM

Will that thing finally have a hard drive?

silverwheels
5/13/2005, 12:25 PM
Will that thing finally have a hard drive?

I think it will, along with a better graphics card and faster processor.

silverwheels
5/13/2005, 12:26 PM
I think the reason xbox will end up winning out is the ability to interact with Windows, pdas, phones, mp3 players, etc... Sony does not have that kind of market.

So I can deal with Windows Media Player screwing up on an XBox now too? :rolleyes: ;)

mdklatt
5/13/2005, 12:29 PM
I think it will, along with a better graphics card and faster processor.

PS3 = Xbox :D

GottaHavePride
5/13/2005, 12:30 PM
And there I thought Windows Media Player was one of the few things Microsoft finally managed to get right. (You on v. 10 or still dealing with buggy-as-hell version 9?)

See, I'd like an X-Box, but I don't want to wait till November to get it. I'm looking at a very boring summer.

mdklatt
5/13/2005, 12:33 PM
See, I'd like an X-Box, but I don't want to wait till November to get it. I'm looking at a very boring summer.

I wonder if MS will have an upgrade program for current Xbox owners? Mine will only be a year old or so when the new one comes out. At $150 every three or four years, it's still a lot cheaper than the PC upgrade cycle.

silverwheels
5/13/2005, 12:34 PM
PS3 = Xbox :D

PS3 hardware > XBox 360 hardware

Plus, the PS3 will be using BluRay discs, which hold 27 GBs on a single-layered disc, and 54 on a dual layer. The XBox 360 will still be using DVDs, which hold 9 GBs max on a dual layer.

Norm In Norman
5/13/2005, 12:35 PM
Wow. Xbox already supports HD, although I haven't seen any games that go beyond 480P (DVD resolution).
There's not enough processing power to do 720p, let alone 1080i. I think some matrix game had some HD movie clips but that is about it.

GottaHavePride
5/13/2005, 12:40 PM
PS3 hardware > XBox 360 hardware

Plus, the PS3 will be using BluRay discs, which hold 27 GBs on a single-layered disc, and 54 on a dual layer. The XBox 360 will still be using DVDs, which hold 9 GBs max on a dual layer.
So, the PS3 will be using more expensive media that are completely incompatible with anything else out there?

mdklatt
5/13/2005, 12:42 PM
So, the PS3 will be using more expensive media that are completely incompatible with anything else out there?

Well, it is a Sony product.

silverwheels
5/13/2005, 12:43 PM

I think Sony will make sure the BluRay is affordable before it becomes widely used. Besides, it's not like you need to play PS3 discs on anything else. ;)

There's going to be a media war between HD-DVDs and BluRays in the very near future similar to what happened when DVDs first became available. Only this time there won't be one format that will become accepted. Both hold many times more GBs than the current DVD-9 series.

My Opinion Matters
5/13/2005, 01:02 PM
I'm waiting for Sega's next-gen console. :rolleyes:

SoonersEnFuego
5/13/2005, 01:25 PM
Ha! Pixel Nerd. That's pretty damn funny.

OUDoc
5/13/2005, 01:34 PM
What happened to the "microsoft is the debil" clan that usually hangs around here? I won't get an XBox. Sony already proved it will usually win the game title wars, Halo/Halo2 notwithstanding. I won't get a PS3 if it has a bunch of worthless non-gaming stuff like they originally projected. I don't need my gaming console to link up with my PC, garage door opener or disposal. Just to my TV and the internet.

mdklatt
5/13/2005, 02:01 PM
Sony already proved it will usually win the game title wars, Halo/Halo2 notwithstanding. .

What are some of the outstanding PS2-only games? I only know of some of the Xbox-only games.

Fish
5/13/2005, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by silverwheels

I think Sony will make sure the BluRay is affordable before it becomes widely used.

Does this remind anyone of when CD's first came on the market? I remember paying $8 for my first disc and they said once the media becomes widely used it should be cheaper than albums and tapes.

not picking at/on you silver...I just brought back a memory :)

silverwheels
5/13/2005, 02:08 PM
Does this remind anyone of when CD's first came on the market? I remember paying $8 for my first disc and they said once the media becomes widely used it should be cheaper than albums and tapes.

not picking at/on you silver...I just brought back a memory :)

I'm a little young to remember that. So you can pick on me for that. :P

OUDoc
5/13/2005, 02:10 PM
What are some of the outstanding PS2-only games? I only know of some of the Xbox-only games.
Until the near future, the Grand Theft Auto series leaps to mind. I'll try to think of others.

mdklatt
5/13/2005, 02:22 PM
Until the near future, the Grand Theft Auto series leaps to mind. I'll try to think of others.

That's not a PS2 exclusive, it's just guaranteed to come out on the PS2 first. GTA:San Andreas comes out for Xbox in a few weeks. I'm willing to wait a few extra months for a release, especially if that give them extra time to take advantage of the Xbox's extra bells and whistles.

I think the Sonic games are PlayStation-only.

silverwheels
5/13/2005, 02:22 PM
The Gran Turismo series is exclusively Sony's, as is the Final Fantasy series.

mdklatt
5/13/2005, 02:24 PM
The Gran Turismo series is exclusively Sony's

I think this is what prompted Forza Motorsport for Xbox.

Norm In Norman
5/13/2005, 02:24 PM
What happened to the "microsoft is the debil" clan that usually hangs around here? I won't get an XBox. Sony already proved it will usually win the game title wars, Halo/Halo2 notwithstanding. I won't get a PS3 if it has a bunch of worthless non-gaming stuff like they originally projected. I don't need my gaming console to link up with my PC, garage door opener or disposal. Just to my TV and the internet.
They are still the debil, but the XBox is still superior to the PS2 (hardware wise). The way I saw it with the XBox is they were losing money for every one sold so they lost money when I bought it. Seeing that I have also hacked my XBox, I'm screwing them over that way too.

silverwheels
5/13/2005, 02:27 PM
I think this is what prompted Forza Motorsport for Xbox.

Yep. That would be correct. But GT4's car list is MASSIVE. Much larger than Forza's.

OUstudent4life
5/13/2005, 02:30 PM
The Gran Turismo series is exclusively Sony's, as is the Final Fantasy series.

If FFXII ever freaking comes out.

Guh.

XBox 360 better be back compatible, tho...I still think that's what screwed Nintendo in the early years.

...that, and Halo 2 es muy bueno.

Crap. I'm not going to get any money for my XBox when I trade it in, though...even with the wireless router that I won't need anymore.

I'm going to go watch Red Vs. Blue now, and dream of happier days.

GottaHavePride
5/13/2005, 02:36 PM
The last couple of final fantasy games were kind of girly chick-ified games anyway from what I could tell.

I'm interested to see that Jade Empire game for the XBox. Neverwinter Nights fairly rocked, and they're both Bio-Ware.

Widescreen
5/13/2005, 02:38 PM
I think my 5-year-old son needs one of these. In the worst way. He may not know it yet. I'm just sayin.

OUDoc
5/13/2005, 02:44 PM
That's not a PS2 exclusive, it's just guaranteed to come out on the PS2 first. GTA:San Andreas comes out for Xbox in a few weeks. I'm willing to wait a few extra months for a release, especially if that give them extra time to take advantage of the Xbox's extra bells and whistles.

Yeah, but I got San Andreas in October, 2004. It's more than a few months.
After I picked up a Sega Genesis instead of a Playstation (you have to load every game from a disc?) and saw what a mistake I made, I'm backing Sony from here on out.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/13/2005, 04:32 PM
They are still the debil, but the XBox is still superior to the PS2 (hardware wise). The way I saw it with the XBox is they were losing money for every one sold so they lost money when I bought it. Seeing that I have also hacked my XBox, I'm screwing them over that way too.

does that mean that you don't want me to get you a discounted one from the company store?

Norm In Norman
5/13/2005, 10:10 PM
does that mean that you don't want me to get you a discounted one from the company store?
Did I say that?

Wonder how much they're gonna cost.

GDC
5/13/2005, 10:15 PM
I wish I knew what you all are talking about. I vaguely remember having an Intellivision years ago. :(

TopDawg
5/14/2005, 12:39 AM
The only games I need are made by EA Sports and they make them for both XBox and PS__ so I'll stick with my XBOX and you PS__ dorks can continue settling for less.

Oh how I love game system smack.

silverwheels
5/14/2005, 12:46 AM
Since we're talking about settling for less, did I mention that the XBox 360 will be LESS powerful than the PlayStation 3?

TopDawg
5/14/2005, 12:50 AM
Well the PS3 will be less guud than the XBOX 360 KA-POW!

silverwheels
5/14/2005, 12:52 AM
Well the PS3 will be less guud than the XBOX 360 KA-POW!

:D

Either way, it's going to be fun for the next few years. I hear Nintendo is still trying to keep up. :rolleyes: They lost their edge. Stick with the GBAs.

EDIT: I meant DS. The PSP kicks the DS's *** anyways...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/14/2005, 01:14 PM
Did I say that?

Wonder how much they're gonna cost.

i'll let you know. if the price on the current xbox at the store is any indicator, not much...

My Opinion Matters
5/14/2005, 05:58 PM
I probably won't buy either. I gave up on Sony after my PS2 stopped working...twice. And then there was the whole Sony Vaio computer fiasco.

And as for Microsoft....

die

My Opinion Matters
5/14/2005, 06:01 PM
Which leaves me with whatever POS nintendo releases. Go ahead and make fun of me now.

SoonerInKCMO
5/14/2005, 06:38 PM
Screen Shot:
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/608/608242/2-days-to-vegas-20050428111814886.jpg

From "The Sims - Crack Alley" game I suppose.

Oldnslo
5/14/2005, 09:00 PM
I think my 5-year-old son needs one of these. In the worst way. He may not know it yet. I'm just sayin.
I bought an X-Box for the Beautiful Boy for Chanukah last year, and he'll be 7 in a coupld of weeks. It has been an awesome deal. He and I play football and Burnout 3 all the time. I used to have to take it easy on him, but it's gotten to where the lad can kick my *** if I don't give 100%.

I just don't see why the Wife Unit doesn't count X-Box time as a "father-son" bonding event.

GottaHavePride
7/27/2006, 09:37 PM
The last couple of final fantasy games were kind of girly chick-ified games anyway from what I could tell.

I'm interested to see that Jade Empire game for the XBox. Neverwinter Nights fairly rocked, and they're both Bio-Ware.

OK, for the record: I got bored the other day, was sitting around, noticed Jade Empire had dropped to $20 since the X-Box 360 came out, so I bought it. Started playing about 5:00 in the evening. Realized I should probably take a break about the time it started getting light outside again... Anyway, I just beat it. Man, totally flippin' awesome game. Combines the best parts of an Ocarina of Time-caliber RPG with the fighting goodness of a Ninja Gaiden, if less-complicated.

I shall recount the small things that stuck in my mind as making the game even more totally flippin' awesome than just gameplay alone:

1. John Cleese is a voice in the game - minor side character, but still, it was an "outlander" explorer from outside the Empire set on enlightening the ignorant savages about modern ways of thinking. Character name? Sir Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard. Yes indeed, they stole bri's title for a video game.

2. You know you thought Chun Li was hot. Well, graphics are a lot better now. At times you're almost tempted NOT to run everywhere at top speed so you can watch the "walking" animation. ;)

3. Once you get to the credits they start doing mock "actor interviews" with the characters. High points:

the scarred warrior sidecick - "I mean, here I am turning in an A+ performance as a totally bad-*** loner with a cark past, and then they go and introduce Drunken Master Style and everyone spends the whole rest of the game walking around with that chucklehead throwing bottles of wine at them!" and "Man, re-takes were a bitch. You know how long it takes to glue one of those clay golems back together after someone hits it?"

The girl sidekick: "I was glad the directors didn't ask me about any of my previous stage work. I mean, you know, when you're just starting out you do what you have to do, right? Wait, did I mention I was in a vaudeville act?"

The wise teacher: "One day you fell from 1,000 feat attempting the Walk of Death. You were probably too young, but you did so well on the Walk of Moderate Discomfort... tore your head clean off. I comforted you, told you it was a clean cut, just walk it off. A week later you were back to punching mountains. In space."

bri
7/27/2006, 09:55 PM
Character name? Sir Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard. Yes indeed, they stole bri's title for a video game.

MILLIONARE VIRGIN JIHAD!!!! :mad:

GottaHavePride
7/27/2006, 10:12 PM
Heh. Awww-riiiight.

bri
7/27/2006, 10:20 PM
I mean, maybe "virgin" is a broad generalzation, but I'm just playing the odds. They can't have ALL f*cked Stevie Case yet.

TopDawg
8/1/2006, 06:31 PM
NCAA 2007 looks pretty flippin sweet on the 360.