PDA

View Full Version : 2005 QB: Who starts the season and who ends the season?

Sooners47and7
5/5/2005, 10:14 AM
2005 QB starter from wire-to-wire is Paul Thompson with Bomar on 2nd team (actually seeing significant playing time) with Grady transferring. We'll actually be balanced on offense for the first time in years and will be able to throw (roll out, play action and drop back) and run (inside and outside) with authority if the o-line comes through.

Boomer Sooner!

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/5/2005, 10:53 AM
Nice first post

I guess I will agree since I don't have an opinion on this anyway

colleyvillesooner
5/5/2005, 10:55 AM
I agree too. As much as I wanna say Thompson will start the season and Bomar will be the starter by Texas, I just don't see it happening anymore...No reason, I just thing Bomar will sit one more year, maybe get a little more cleanup time the PT did. I think we win alot of game 21-17 or 28-24 this year...

Harry Beanbag
5/5/2005, 01:00 PM
I thought we were pretty damn balanced last year. Anyway, I think Bomar starts game one.

Sooners47and7
5/5/2005, 01:23 PM
Yeah, we were pretty damn balanced on NC game. We got each butt cheek kicked!

Boomer Sooner!

Texas Golfer
5/5/2005, 01:33 PM
I think Stoops does with the QB as he did with the RB last year. Last year, KJ started and AD came in early and often and became the starter in the 3rd or 4th game.

PT will start the first game and will remain the starter as long as he dominates opposing defenses. Bomar will play early and often and, if PT doesn't play outstandingly, Bomar will be starting by the 3rd or 4th game.

I see Grady transferring, too.

Soonermagik
5/5/2005, 02:47 PM
When I saw Bomar take off in that spring game I was impressed. Bomar has the better arm I say he starts.

Harry Beanbag
5/5/2005, 02:58 PM
Yeah, we were pretty damn balanced on NC game. We got each butt cheek kicked!

Boomer Sooner!

Regardless of how bad OU got spanked by USC, the 2004 offense was the most balanced in the history of OU football.

Taxman71
5/5/2005, 03:09 PM
I agree too. As much as I wanna say Thompson will start the season and Bomar will be the starter by Texas, I just don't see it happening anymore...No reason, I just thing Bomar will sit one more year, maybe get a little more cleanup time the PT did. I think we win alot of game 21-17 or 28-24 this year...

The only problem with that is that PT will be a junior. Thus, it is highly doubtful that Bomar (as a redshirt soph) would beat out PT (as a redshirt senion) in 2006. Besides, with all the QB talent we have, I think the coaches would like to have a 2-year starter at worst (PT) and a 3 or 4-year starter at best (Bomar and Grady). Having rookie QB's (which all the QBs are at this point IMO) 2 years in a row (2005 and 2006) is to be avoided.

Taxman71
5/5/2005, 03:11 PM
I think Stoops does with the QB as he did with the RB last year. Last year, KJ started and AD came in early and often and became the starter in the 3rd or 4th game.

PT will start the first game and will remain the starter as long as he dominates opposing defenses. Bomar will play early and often and, if PT doesn't play outstandingly, Bomar will be starting by the 3rd or 4th game.

I see Grady transferring, too.

Substitute "Stoops" with "Mack", "KJ" with "Applewhite", "AD" with "Chrissy" and "Grady" with "Mock" and you just explained the last 5 years of Whorn football at its worst. No way Stoops fails to learn from that debacle.

Vaevictis
5/5/2005, 03:46 PM
Substitute "Stoops" with "Mack", "KJ" with "Applewhite", "AD" with "Chrissy" and "Grady" with "Mock" and you just explained the last 5 years of Whorn football at its worst. No way Stoops fails to learn from that debacle.

The difference with the whole KJ/AD thing is that each had their strong and weak points (KJ can pass protect if needed, AD not so well), and Stoops used them appropriately. There was no real controversy in how they were used, not as far as I saw anyway.

The only complaint I had with this setup was that the opposing team always knew that if AD was on the field to prepare for the run, and if KJ was on the field to prepare for the pass. Statistically, it was too easy to predict.

SoonerLB
5/5/2005, 04:27 PM
Statistically, it was too easy to predict.
Attention Chuck Long! Please read the above quote 10 times Chuck, and please try to understand it!

Hopefully having better mobility at the QB position will help, no matter which of the 3 is playing, but more than anything, I hope we have some imagination in play calling this year, as opposed to predictability. I really don't want to see any opposing players snatching that flare pass out of the air for a TD, ever again!

Luthor
5/5/2005, 04:30 PM
Hey, don't worry about it guys. Based on all of these threads I have the utmost confidence in the "QB By Committee" solution.

Bob is still on the throne. They're all good. It's all good. Regardless of which one takes the snaps he will still be wear'n red..........right?

(music intro)
Summer time, and the liv'n is easy
The fish are jump'n,
And the cotton is high...

whiteagle
5/5/2005, 10:39 PM
whoever starts the first game will be the starter for the whole season, i will admit i am pulling for bomar so we can at least have the hope of a 3-4 year starter instead of changing qbs every two years.

olevetonahill
5/5/2005, 11:24 PM
I hate this !
I watched Bomar in the texas all star H/S game . He is a winner . Pinpoint accuracy and mobil as hell. I would love to see him out there this fall.
Now If P.T. can do the job , then his loyalty to the team should be rewarded.
AHHHHHHHHH
theres 2 ways this can go and either one will be fine . Bomar will only be here for 2 more yrs anyway . he will go pro. :confused:
Aint it great to have this problem ?
I to see Grady transfering , Hey Mike Need a Great QB ?

85Sooner
5/6/2005, 03:58 PM
I hate this !
I watched Bomar in the texas all star H/S game . He is a winner . Pinpoint accuracy and mobil as hell. I would love to see him out there this fall.
Now If P.T. can do the job , then his loyalty to the team should be rewarded.
AHHHHHHHHH
theres 2 ways this can go and either one will be fine . Bomar will only be here for 2 more yrs anyway . he will go pro. :confused:
Aint it great to have this problem ?
I to see Grady transfering , Hey Mike Need a Great QB ?

Bomar hasn't even played a down of Division 1A college football and he has already decided to go pro?

From what I see, Bomar will be an excellent fit for OU but needs one more year to mature. It will be PT starting unless he gets hurt IMHO and I think many of you are going to be pleasantly surprised.

whiteagle
5/6/2005, 05:48 PM
^^^^ that suggestion would be great give bomar a year to know the playbook in and out and have pt start for a year if PT WAS A SENIOR!!!
if pt starts this year and finishes it he will be the starter next year and that means bomar will only have 2 years to start.

FaninAma
5/6/2005, 06:00 PM
If Thompson starts and is the starter the entire year then I really would have to join the Chuck Long doubters club that has been flourishing since the Sugar Bowl loss to LSU.

If PT is good enough to start this season he should have been good enough to play instead of a QB who was as banged up as Jason White was in the Sugar Bowl.

85Sooner
5/6/2005, 06:57 PM
If Thompson starts and is the starter the entire year then I really would have to join the Chuck Long doubters club that has been flourishing since the Sugar Bowl loss to LSU.

If PT is good enough to start this season he should have been good enough to play instead of a QB who was as banged up as Jason White was in the Sugar Bowl.

Chucks arguement with that would probably be that the offense was mainly schemed for a passing QB and not for a balanced attack. But I agree that I would have rather given Paul a chance (keep in mind that was 2 years ago)

Paul has not been allowed to show his stuff simply based on the offensive style that has been run by the sooners since Nate was there. Paul has put in 3 years and rhett has 1 year as a redshirt. IMHO our defense is the area where we lost the last 3 games and that needs to be addressed. Defense wins championships. And OU lost the last two.

usmc-sooner
5/6/2005, 07:03 PM
Chucks arguement with that would probably be that the offense was mainly schemed for a passing QB and not for a balanced attack. But I agree that I would have rather given Paul a chance (keep in mind that was 2 years ago)

Paul has not been allowed to show his stuff simply based on the offensive style that has been run by the sooners since Nate was there. Paul has put in 3 years and rhett has 1 year as a redshirt. IMHO our defense is the area where we lost the last 3 games and that needs to be addressed. Defense wins championships. And OU lost the last two.

our defense produced against LSU

101sooner
5/6/2005, 08:10 PM
My opinion:

Thompson starts.

Thompson finishes.

PT understands the offense better than Bomar and Grady.

IMHO, at the end of spring football, a wounded Jason White would be a better OU QB than a healthy PT, and Bomar and Grady would provide a circus of interceptions and miscues if pressed to start.

Defense is the key.

King Crimson
5/6/2005, 08:16 PM

so did Kejuan.....when (to paraphrase my angry as a hornet Dad at the Sugar Bowl) we "ran the gawdamned ball out of the gawdamned mother****ing I".

except he was yelling. he was smiling like a cheshire cat on our last drive....and then Chuck starts calling pass plays again. then he was smiling sarcastically.

jccouger
5/6/2005, 08:40 PM
Sure, we had a balnce attack last year. But it was so damn predictable. If we were in the I formation we ran, if we were in the shotgun formation, we passed. We were just in either position 50% of the time.

With a PT or Bomar we will actually be able to pass in the I formation :eek:

*dreams of play action with AD*

Anyway...

PT understands the offense better than Bomar and Grady.

Isn't OU suppose to be changing the offense up this year to fit the more versatiel play at QB with PT and Bomar? If that is true, then they both have the same amount of time to learn the offense. Noone has a leg up in that area...

Texas Golfer
5/6/2005, 10:11 PM
I don't know why we're still discussing this. Stoops will start the one he wants and he'll play the one he wants when he wants.

jccouger
5/6/2005, 10:24 PM
I don't know why we're still discussing this. Stoops will start the one he wants and he'll play the one he wants when he wants.

Because its a sooner fans board, and we talk about stuff related to the sooners. :)

Texas Golfer
5/6/2005, 10:48 PM
Because its a sooner fans board, and we talk about stuff related to the sooners. :)

...and because we like to argue...even with each other?

FaninAma
5/7/2005, 12:03 AM
...and because we like to argue...even with each other?

That would be correct.

If Chuck didn't have enough confidence to play Thompson in the Sugar Bowl then I have to question why he would have enough confidence to make him the starter.

If PT has the skills to be the #1 QB this year then he should have been playing in the Sugar Bowl. It wasn't the defense that cost us that game. They held LSU's offense to 14 points for chris' sakes.

oupride
5/7/2005, 08:06 AM
When I saw Bomar take off in that spring game I was impressed. Bomar has the better arm I say he starts.

Actually, it was this play too that convinced me that Bomar is gonna play and when he threaded a pass for a completion that I thought was impossible with the coverage on it I began thinking he might start. However, I am a Paul Thompson fan and have been waitin 3 years to see the total package. Either way we win.

oupride
5/7/2005, 08:08 AM
By the way FA, I had not thought of that angle. Interesting.

<><
5/7/2005, 10:20 AM
Paul vs. Rhett

PASSING: Advantage Bomar
RUNNING: Advantage Bomar
EXPERIENCE: Advantage Thompson

Bomar is a better overall athlete than Thompson in arm strength and physical quickness, but Thompson has the advantage in maturity and on-field experience. In the end it will come down to who can consistently move the offense - period.

At this point, it seems that Tommy Grady is becoming the odd man out and, though I wouldn't blame him, I'd hate to see him transfer.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/7/2005, 10:25 AM
Paul vs. Rhett

PASSING: Advantage Bomar
RUNNING: Advantage Bomar
EXPERIENCE: Advantage Thompson

Are you sure Bomar has the advantage running? did you not see Thompson running up and down the field two seasons ago?

Texas Golfer
5/7/2005, 10:35 AM
At this point, it seems that Tommy Grady is becoming the odd man out and, though I wouldn't blame him, I'd hate to see him transfer.

I agree.

Texas Golfer
5/7/2005, 10:37 AM
Are you sure Bomar has the advantage running? did you not see Thompson running up and down the field two seasons ago?

That was two years ago. I think his assessment was a comparison of the two this season.

<><
5/7/2005, 10:58 AM
Are you sure Bomar has the advantage running? did you not see Thompson running up and down the field two seasons ago?In straight-line speed they are about even but I'd give Bomar the advantage in overall quickness. He's a quick one.

<><
5/7/2005, 11:00 AM
That was two years ago. I think his assessment was a comparison of the two this season.Yes, my assessment of their comparitive athleticism is based almost exclusively upon Spring practice.

TheUnnamedSooner
5/7/2005, 11:26 AM
Fair enough, I have gotten to see anything this spring, just wanted to make sure. Thanks

GottaHavePride
5/7/2005, 01:19 PM
In straight-line speed they are about even but I'd give Bomar the advantage in overall quickness. He's a quick one.
I've heard repeatedly from interviews with the coaches that Bomar is the "toughest one to tackle" that we have. I'm guessing that takes into account spotting the blitz better, and probably better agility. Possibly a bit more power to keep himself upright after initial contact. Who knows?

Next year should be fun.

Texas Golfer
5/7/2005, 05:53 PM
Rhett Bomar was the nation's #1 rated quarterback out of high school for a very good reason.

Vaevictis
5/7/2005, 07:22 PM

It did? I remember it being a lot worse than the final score indicated; LSU broke for long yardage on the run far too much for comfort. It must have been a break-but-don't-shatter defense or something... which I suppose was better than the shatter-like-glass defense we saw in the Orange Bowl.

usmc-sooner
5/7/2005, 07:25 PM
It did? I remember it being a lot worse than the final score indicated; LSU broke for long yardage on the run far too much for comfort. It must have been a break-but-don't-shatter defense or something... which I suppose was better than the shatter-like-glass defense we saw in the Orange Bowl.

let's see one score was on an interception another was set up off a turnover.

and let's see they didn't even make a first down in the 4th quarter.

Vaevictis
5/7/2005, 07:42 PM
let's see one score was on an interception another was set up off a turnover.

Just a matter of how you interpret things, in my opinion. The two touchdowns that were not returned interceptions were both rushes for about 20 yards.

The very first play of the game, LSU rushed for 64 yards. The only reason that didn't end up a touchdown is because LSU gave us a gift in the form of a botched snap.

and let's see they didn't even make a first down in the 4th quarter.

I'll give them that, they did their job in the fourth, and the offense didn't.

I will grant you that the offense really lost us that game, but IMHO, I thought the defense was sub-standard as well. Allowing 14 points is too many in a championship game, IMHO. But maybe I just expect near perfection :)

What I really want to see them do is what I remember them doing as a kid -- draw a line in the sand, and say, "No further." And then I want them to do it.

JRAM
5/7/2005, 07:50 PM
PT may start out as the first team qb but Bomar will take over soon thereafter if not SOONER.

101sooner
5/7/2005, 08:15 PM
I'm of the opinion that our offensive line will be unsteady early in the season. In that situation, we'd be best served by playing a QB that can run for his life when needed, but at the same time, tenaciously go through his reads and run our offense regardless of what happened on the previous play. It's not that Grady and Bomar can't do this, it's just that they don't have the understanding of our system that PT does.

Hell, the sky is the limit for both Bomar and Grady, but too me, PT seems like the obvious starter. As a matter of fact, given the rebuilding status of our offense, I can't imagine a QB with a better combination of skills, leadership attributes, and experience than PT to lead us through this transition.

BOOMERBRADLEY
5/7/2005, 08:18 PM
OK this is my final word on this thread.

Paul Thompson will start against TCU. Paul Thompson will throw an INT deep in our own territory in the beginning of the 2nd quarter, TCU will then score to even the score at 7.This is due to our traditional slow start on O that's why it's at 7. Rhett Bomar will come onto the field and be announced over the loudspeaker "Filling in at QB #7 Rhett Bomaaaar" (Insert ear deafening scream) Bomar's first play will be a run to AD, and AD will pick up 6 yards. Second play Bomar hits a slanting Travis Wilson for a gain of 8. "First Doooooowwwnn Sooners" (Yelling) Third snap Bomar hands off to AD for a short gain up the middle. Next snap Bomar hits Quentin Cheney deep down the sideline for a 33 yard gain. Next play hand off to AD for a nice TD run down the sideline with a stiffarm at the end .....shweeeew

Ladies and gentelman you just witnessed the birth of starting QB at OU

oupride
5/7/2005, 08:46 PM
Can anyone get me a vhs copy of the RW game?

101sooner
5/7/2005, 09:00 PM
Here's my prediction:

Thompson starts. We get shut down on the first drive. TCU drives and scores. We get shut down on our second drive. TCU drives and scores. We settle down, score a field goal, then shut down down every single offense we face for the rest of the season.

AD rushes for 1800 yards with a hard earned 5.7 yrds a carry, the best quarterback - whomever that may be - throws for 2,986 yards and rushes for 342 yards. On D, we pick off 20+ passes and finish #3 in total D, #1 in turnover margin and # 4 in scoring D. We get no respect, yet move to #2 in the BCS by mid-season.

We beat the Bucknuts 35-10 for #8.

Texas Golfer
5/7/2005, 11:44 PM
101, you'd make a lousy prognasticator.

Down Field Pitch
5/8/2005, 04:39 PM
Whoever it is let's hope that they can move and compete in pressure better than Nate made out in 2001 when we had a similiar situation on the line. I like PT but it doesn't make since to delay the development of the young QB's that are pretty close to him now.

Stoops starts PT then goes to Bomar early.

Widescreen
1/10/2006, 11:50 AM
This was an interesting thread to re-read. Several people got it pretty close.

Octavian
1/10/2006, 03:08 PM
and several missed the boat

Landthief 1972
1/10/2006, 04:03 PM
Some numbers to go with this thread, culled from soonersports.com:

Rhett Bomar, TCU - Kansas (The turning point according to Chuck Long)
741 yds pass, 3 TDs, 5 INTs, 89.59 rating, 90 yds rush, 2 run TDs, 3 lost fumbles, sacked 12 times

Rhett Bomar, Baylor - Oregon
1277 yds pass, 7 TDs, 5 INTs, 127.05 rating, 90 yds rush, 2 run TDs, 1 lost fumble, sacked 7 times (0 times in last three games)

So Bomar maintained his rush threat while avoiding more sacks and increasing his pass effciency rating by 37.5 points.

jbstrick
1/11/2006, 01:51 AM
So Bomar maintained his rush threat while avoiding more sacks and increasing his pass effciency rating by 37.5 points.

Bomar grew, with great justice.

Collier11
1/11/2006, 04:21 AM
Bomar could=Great, and I dont mean heupel great, I mean nfl great! Only time will tell, but he has what it takes if he keeps getting better and smarter~!