PDA

View Full Version : The Official Yankees ...

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Scott D
9/30/2005, 01:25 AM
Wang is a Yankee farm product I believe.

yeah he's one of the two prospects the yanks didn't deal for overrated geezers like Kevin Brown ;)

OUthunder
9/30/2005, 07:51 AM
KB is a bust. Should have released him during spring training.

Scott D
9/30/2005, 01:12 PM
KB is a bust. Should have released him during spring training.

should have released him the day Cashman was forced to get him ;)

OUthunder
9/30/2005, 05:36 PM
"Let's get it On!"

GDC
9/30/2005, 09:49 PM
****ty ump, but how many guys did Posada leave on base? :mad:

GrapevineSooner
9/30/2005, 11:15 PM
That call on Posado wasn't quite as bad as the call that ended the 11th inning of the White Sox-Indians game.

Grady Sizemore beat a throw to second by a mile, but Gary Cederstrom still called him out. An inning later, the White Sox score two to win it.

Not that I'm complaining. ;)

Herr Scholz
10/1/2005, 12:37 AM
****ty ump, but how many guys did Posada leave on base? :mad:
http://www.sallyminker.com/art/2-d/images/grapes-print.jpg

Scott D
10/1/2005, 04:26 AM
That call on Posado wasn't quite as bad as the call that ended the 11th inning of the White Sox-Indians game.

Grady Sizemore beat a throw to second by a mile, but Gary Cederstrom still called him out. An inning later, the White Sox score two to win it.

Not that I'm complaining. ;)

I'm a little biased, but that play was about as close as you can get, and that ump was in the perfect position to make the play.....besides..both of your teams should be the biggest White Sox fans in the world this weekend because if Cleveland takes the last two of the series, they win the wildcard and one of your teams will be sittin at home watching on tv.

p.s. Bobby Jenks still makes me nervous but that kid has one HELL of a curveball to go with his 100mph fastball.

OUthunder
10/1/2005, 07:10 AM
Posada sucked last night. Runners on 2nd & 3rd with one out and he hits a grounder. At least hit a fly ball to the outfield to get one run home and Sierra should be hitting ahead of him. That inning changed the complexity of the rest of the game.

OUthunder
10/1/2005, 03:13 PM
Yanks 8
Sux 4

Top 9th

GO YANKS!

OUthunder
10/1/2005, 03:14 PM
Three outs away from winning the AL EAST...

AGAIN! HATERS!

GrapevineSooner
10/1/2005, 03:15 PM
Uhh, if the Red Sox win tomorrow, Joe Buck and Thunder, they'll be tied.

Scott D
10/1/2005, 03:15 PM
um...if you go up 1 game with 1 game left how do you win?

GrapevineSooner
10/1/2005, 03:17 PM
"It's the one before G"

Uhh, Tim. Why would they even HAVE a G down there?

Stupid dumbass.

Scott D
10/1/2005, 03:18 PM
[Tim McCarver]back in my day we did this[/tim mccarver]

Tim back in yoru day the only reason anyone knew your name was because someone had to be on the other end to catch Bob Gibson....focktard.

GrapevineSooner
10/1/2005, 03:22 PM
Tim McCarver = Sean Salisbury

GrapevineSooner
10/1/2005, 03:28 PM
Oh give me a break, Yankees.

You only won the f***ing division. Which you should when you have the kind of payroll that you guys have.

Celebrate when you win a World Series. ;)

TopDawg
10/1/2005, 03:29 PM
8 str8 :D

GrapevineSooner
10/1/2005, 03:32 PM
You can have your silly celebration on our field for your division title.

Just as long as we get to do this on yours, again, for the pennant.

http://cache.boston.com/sports/special/redsox/2004alcs/globepages/page1_102104.jpg

OUthunder
10/1/2005, 03:49 PM
Jealousy is a terrible thingy. ;)

GrapevineSooner
10/1/2005, 03:56 PM
So will George hand out Division Championship rings before tommorrow's game? :D

GDC
10/1/2005, 09:56 PM
um...if you go up 1 game with 1 game left how do you win?

head to head goes to Yanks

GrapevineSooner
10/1/2005, 10:35 PM
Only if there aren't any other playoff implications.

Had there been a three-way tie between NY, Boston, and Cleveland, they would have had to play a playoff for the division championship. The loser of that playoff would have then had to play Cleveland the next day for the Wild Card.

Scott D
10/2/2005, 02:32 PM
The other implications are close to becoming a moot point with the Good Guys leading 3-1 in the 7th.

OUthunder
10/2/2005, 10:52 PM
Yanks get a tough draw in the Angels.

Not good.

GrapevineSooner
10/3/2005, 12:22 AM
Well, that's what you guys get for spraying champagne in our lockerroom on Saturday. ;)

Herr Scholz
10/3/2005, 12:10 PM
Typical crybaby Yankees wailing about Buck Showalter and the Texas Rangers being at fault for them having to go to Anaheim. How about this Yankees? Don't get swept by the Royals, show up once in a while vs. the Devil Rays OR win the head to head matchup vs. the Angels and you wouldn't be in this situation. It's certainly not Buck Showalter's fault (although he probably enjoyed sticking it to them).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2179632

Stanley1
10/3/2005, 12:51 PM
Yet another reason to hate the Yanks.

Sooner04
10/3/2005, 01:57 PM
You think Buck taking out all of his studs wasn't intentional? He's always looking for another chance to stick that knife a little deeper into Steinbrenner's back.

Stanley1
10/3/2005, 02:12 PM
You think Buck taking out all of his studs wasn't intentional? He's always looking for another chance to stick that knife a little deeper into Steinbrenner's back.

Whether it was, or wasn't intentional, doesn't matter. The starters played about half the game, then he went to the bench. I have no problem with that. If it was so freakin' important to the Yanks, then why'd they not pitch Mussina? They had the opportunity to get homefield advantage themselves, if it meant that much.

TopDawg
10/3/2005, 02:31 PM
Typical crybaby Yankees wailing about Buck Showalter and the Texas Rangers being at fault for them having to go to Anaheim.

Here are the quotes (by Yankees) from the link you provided:

"There's a code of honor when so much is on the line," Rodriguez told the New York Daily News. "You hope people do the right thing. But you can't control what people do."

"It's surprising," Torre told The New York Times. "If his team was in the playoffs, I could understand it a little bit more. It's just surprising he pulled them so soon."

"If we had won one more game, we wouldn't have to be worried about what anybody else did," Cashman told The Times.

Crybabies? Wailing? :mack:

Herr Scholz
10/3/2005, 02:51 PM
Crybabies? Wailing?
Those quotes aren't all they said. You've got to read between the lines. Yes, they're crying that the Rangers didn't win the home field advantage for them (like that's the Rangers' responsibility). They're bitching and moaning like women. Surprises me from Torre, not Pay-Rod.

GrapevineSooner
10/3/2005, 02:53 PM
The crybaby label applies to A-Rod and A-Rod alone.

I'm not so sure it really applies to Torre's quote while Cashman nailed it dead on.

TopDawg
10/3/2005, 03:27 PM
Some of you guys are just ate up with A-Rod hatred. Let it go, man...let it go.

I'm sure A-Rod agrees 100% with what Cashman said. You can read between the lines all you want, but you don't know everything that A-Rod said about the situation. Maybe he went on to say something very similar to what Cashman said. At any rate, what he DID say (at least, what is quoted in that story) only sounds like crying to people who look for something to say about everything A-Rod does. It definetly sounds like there is some bitterness (that is his former team, afterall), but not crying. And certainly not wailing.

And I still don't understand what Herr's got against what Torre said. All he did was say that he was surprised.

Herr Scholz
10/3/2005, 04:30 PM
Maybe wailing was a bit much but when both your best player and manager are complaining that another team didn't win something for you, it comes across as sour grapes and whiny, poor sports. If Torre weren't complaining, he would have said what Cashman did. However, he chose to say something negative (albeit in a subtle way) about the Angels.

Ike
10/3/2005, 05:24 PM
did you know:

the term sour grapes has absolutely nothing to do with being a sore loser. the term comes from the fable of a fox that couldn't reach grapes on a vine, and instead refrences rationalizing defeat. when he finally gave up, he said to himself "I bet they are sour anyways".

you people that use it wrong irritate me like :mack:

GDC
10/3/2005, 08:18 PM
I didn't know about all this, but I saw the Seinfeld episode last night where Buck switches the Yankees to cotton uniforms.

OUthunder
10/5/2005, 12:26 AM
Thuuuuuuuuuh Yankeeeees Win! The Yankees win!

TopDawg
10/5/2005, 12:04 PM
Maybe wailing was a bit much but when both your best player and manager are complaining that another team didn't win something for you, it comes across as sour grapes and whiny, poor sports. If Torre weren't complaining, he would have said what Cashman did. However, he chose to say something negative (albeit in a subtle way) about the Angels.

Well, they do have a right to be a little peaved...if Show would've left in the starters, the Yanks might've gotten home field advantage. Adding to the frustration is the ludicrosity of Show's reasoning for taking them out early. But, like Cash said, the Yanks also could've handled it themselves.

I'm sure it's no surprise that we look at this differently, but I still don't see it much as complaining. I haven't heard much of these interviews, but as far as I know, neither A-Rod nor Torre went on and on about it. The reporters probably asked them what they thought and they told them. And all Torre did was say he was surprised that they did it.

Let's go back to 2001. Let's say that crappy OSU gets ahead early on OU, 28-7 in the 2nd quarter. It's looking like the horns might back-door their way into the Big XII title game. Then Miles takes out his 3 best offensive and defensive playmakers before halftime and the Sooners come back to win. Would it surprise you that Miles did that? Would you fault Mack for saying he was surprised?

At any rate, it's all a moot point because now the Yanks DO have home field advantage. Muah-ha-ha!

OUthunder
10/5/2005, 01:38 PM
heh.

GDC
10/5/2005, 10:10 PM
Chone Figgins sure looks like Willie Randolph.

OUthunder
10/6/2005, 08:42 AM
Plays D like him too.

GDC
10/6/2005, 09:29 AM
Plays D like him too.

Doesn't hit like him though.

TopDawg
10/6/2005, 09:48 AM
Chone's one of my favorite non-Yankees. He helped me win my fantasy baseball league this year.

GrapevineSooner
10/7/2005, 11:22 PM
Go Halos. :D

GDC
10/9/2005, 09:39 PM
3-2 good guys in the eighth, Mo in to pitch

GDC
10/9/2005, 09:40 PM
http://www.theproswing.com/images/playerpics/Figgins.JPG
http://www.streetplay.com/stickball/halloffame/photos/wrandolph-s.jpg

GDC
10/9/2005, 09:45 PM
http://www.onlinesports.com/images/phf-aagj068.gif
http://www.countryreview.com/GarthBrooks/garthbrooks_ap.jpg

GDC
10/9/2005, 09:48 PM
http://members.aol.com/jimaking/images/vince.jpg
http://www.redraiders.com/images/100502/Mike_Leach.jpg

GDC
10/9/2005, 10:21 PM
Yanks win 3-2, one game to see who beats the Sox.

OUthunder
10/9/2005, 11:39 PM
Chacon was huge tonite.

OUthunder
10/10/2005, 12:55 PM
I wonder if RJ is available tonight? It's not like he's pitched in the series or anything like that yet?

GDC
10/10/2005, 07:28 PM
I wonder if RJ is available tonight? It's not like he's pitched in the series or anything like that yet?

They said he could go if needed. Colon looks like the overweight Hispanic version of Harpo Marx.

http://www.nndb.com/people/865/000043736/harpo-marx.jpg

sooneron
10/10/2005, 10:58 PM
They said he could go if needed. Colon looks like the overweight Hispanic version of Harpo Marx.

http://www.nndb.com/people/865/000043736/harpo-marx.jpg
I wish I had whatever Bart's barber is smoking!

Salt City Sooner
10/11/2005, 01:01 AM
Well, it's over for another year. Make no mistake, I will never, ever root for a Yankees loss, but to be quite frank, I can't say that I'm all that broken up about this one. This team did it for a good chunk of the year with smoke & mirrors (esp. in the pitching staff. NY had a 200$ million payroll & a $1.95 staff, imo) & just wasn't nearly as good as past editions imo, & with the early exit, I'm thinking that more attention will be paid to making corrections that need to be made than what would've been had they made any kind of run in the playoffs.

mrowl
10/11/2005, 06:03 AM
nah, nah, nah, nah.... nah, nah, nah, nah... hey, hey, hey....

GDC
10/11/2005, 07:42 AM
I love how this thread gets much more action when the Yanks lose than any other time. :rolleyes:

OUthunder
10/11/2005, 08:27 AM
Matsui had to have left at least 7 runners stranded on base last night. I think we saw him in pinstripes for the final time IMO.

Note to the Yankees ...YOU NEED PITCHING!

Herr Scholz
10/11/2005, 09:57 AM
Yankees lose!! DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Yankees lose!!

Cashman's as good as gone. $205M payroll and he chose Gary Sheffield over Vlad Guerrero when they were both free agents.

GDC
10/11/2005, 10:01 AM
Yankees lose!! DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Yankees lose!!

Cashman's as good as gone. $205M payroll and he chose Gary Sheffield over Vlad Guerrero when they were both free agents.

Vlad sucked during this series also, Shef outplayed him this season, wtf is your point?

OUthunder
10/11/2005, 10:07 AM
Vlad sucked during this series also, Shef outplayed him this season, wtf is your point?

Exactamundo! Shef outplayed just about everyone from an offensive standpoint in the series, hurt I might add.

Vlad is a fine player, but they are both a wash and the only reason that Vlad is still playing and Shef isn't ...is because of pitching and solid defense. Both of which the Yanks lacked sorely this year.

If Cashman is at fault for anything, it's not getting enough good arms in the off season and I bet that this will be corrected next year.

gdc, was right ...all of the Yankee hatuh's do love to post in here when we lose, but I'm proud to be an arrogant *** Yankee fan anyday of the week.

Go White Sox!

Herr Scholz
10/11/2005, 10:11 AM
Vlad is a better hitter. .317 vs. .291 this year. Also, Vlad's 29 and Sheffield's about done at 36. In summation, I guess my point is it was stupid of Cashman to get Sheffield over Guerrero and the Yankees choked again with the highest payroll in MLB. :D

Herr Scholz
10/11/2005, 10:13 AM
...all of the Yankee hatuh's...Go White Sox!
:D

GrapevineSooner
10/11/2005, 10:23 AM
Actually, the biggest reason why the Halos are still playing and the Yankees aren't is because of a lack of production from the Yankees middle of the lineup, punctuated by A-Rod's Buck-33 batting average.

Sure, more pitching would have definitely helped. But if they had gotten ANYTHING from the middle of their lineup in this series, they'd be in Chicago right now preparing to play the White Sox.

Scott D
10/11/2005, 10:23 AM
Exactamundo! Shef outplayed just about everyone from an offensive standpoint in the series, hurt I might add.

Vlad is a fine player, but they are both a wash and the only reason that Vlad is still playing and Shef isn't ...is because of pitching and solid defense. Both of which the Yanks lacked sorely this year.

If Cashman is at fault for anything, it's not getting enough good arms in the off season and I bet that this will be corrected next year.

gdc, was right ...all of the Yankee hatuh's do love to post in here when we lose, but I'm proud to be an arrogant *** Yankee fan anyday of the week.

Go White Sox!

boo....cheer for the Angels....I implore ALL of you :P

OUthunder
10/11/2005, 10:25 AM
Vlad is a better hitter. .317 vs. .291 this year. Also, Vlad's 29 and Sheffield's about done at 36. In summation, I guess my point is it was stupid of Cashman to get Sheffield over Guerrero and the Yankees choked again with the highest payroll in MLB. :D

Actually, if you kept up with the Yankees and the Vladdy situation, Vlad didn't want to go to a "Big Market" team like the Yanks, and have to deal with that type of pressure. Instead, he went from the Expos to the Angels. Most MLB fans knew that, and it was a widely knon fact also. The Yanks DID want him, he didn't want them. he wanted to play for a small market team where he would stand out name wise.

BTW, I hope that Jamie Moyer enjoyed the PLAYOFFS at home in Seattle sipping his mocha latte with with a shot of carmel syrup this year. :mad:

OUthunder
10/11/2005, 10:26 AM
Actually, the biggest reason why the Halos are still playing and the Yankees aren't is because of a lack of production from the Yankees middle of the lineup, punctuated by A-Rod's Buck-33 batting average.

Sure, more pitching would have definitely helped. But if they had gotten ANYTHING from the middle of their lineup in this series, they'd be in Chicago right now preparing to play the White Sox.

A-rod & Matsui mostly. :mad:

Scott D
10/11/2005, 10:57 AM
Just a thought....

If the Yanquis get rid of A-Rod this offseason, they could afford pitching....since they are sorta 0-2 in getting to the World Series since he joined the team...I'm jus' sayin.... :D

Herr Scholz
10/11/2005, 11:04 AM
Pay-Rod has been a curse on every team he's ever been on.

OUthunder
10/11/2005, 02:53 PM

:mad:

Ike
10/11/2005, 03:24 PM
Done.
GO Angels!! Albie Pearson in center and Bo Belinsky... Who doesn't want to root for a team whose first ever opening day pitcher tossed a "no hit gem" later and dated a Playboy centerfold?

I don't

Scott D
10/12/2005, 03:36 AM
Garrett Anderson is going to haunt me for the rest of my life.....

Sooner04
10/12/2005, 08:36 AM
Especially if you don't spell his name correctly.

GDC
10/12/2005, 09:51 AM

I've always liked the way he plays. I guess I'm pulling for the Cards now.

Sooner04
10/12/2005, 10:08 AM
I've always liked the way he plays. I guess I'm pulling for the Cards now.
God in Heaven, don't do that! Anybody but those dogs.

GrapevineSooner
10/12/2005, 10:19 AM
Staying true to my committment to pull for any Texas-based team so long as it doesn't present a conflict of interest to the Red Sox or Giants, I'm pulling for the Astros now.

GDC
10/12/2005, 11:20 AM
God in Heaven, don't do that! Anybody but those dogs.

I grew up watching their AAA affiliate in Tulsa, always had a soft spot for them as my NL team. I always pull for Andy Pettitte, though, and rue the day the Yanks lost him.

Scott D
10/12/2005, 11:25 AM
Especially if you don't spell his name correctly.

heh..good point...Garret has killed the White Sox over the years during the regular season...doesn't really surprize me that he was the difference last night.

I still think a best case scenario for the Sox is Angels in 7....god I wish we'd been playing the MFY's instead. :(

OUthunder
10/12/2005, 01:31 PM
I'm pulling for the Sox because there announcers are funny during the regular season.

Frank Thomas is the suck tho!

tulsaoilerfan
10/13/2005, 09:31 PM
Seems that way, doesn't it? For 252 million, he should have been able to get more RBI's than me in the Division Series. :mad:

sooneron
10/13/2005, 10:10 PM
I'm pulling for the Sox because there announcers are funny during the regular season.

Yeah, but he had about 8 years of pure bad ***!

Salt City Sooner
10/17/2005, 05:51 PM
I hate to lose Mel, but I'm SEVERELY liking this news:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2194428

Scott D
10/17/2005, 07:51 PM

even if he agrees to go there, you know George will screw it up with whatever prehistoric arms he signs.

OUthunder
10/17/2005, 08:27 PM
even if he agrees to go there, you know George will screw it up with whatever prehistoric arms he signs.

Ike
10/17/2005, 08:29 PM

"He Gone!"

I hate hearing that phrase....

Scott D
10/17/2005, 08:41 PM

eh don't get me wrong, he'll do good with the young guys...but if George sends the GM out in free agency, it won't be the best moves for pitching.

GDC
10/17/2005, 09:17 PM

That would be nice. It's frustrating to see all these former Yankee pitchers still at it in the post season.

Salt City Sooner
10/17/2005, 11:30 PM
"Pre-historic" arms weren't what hurt this team the worst, IMO. What killed this team as far as I'm concerned was 1) A TOTAL lack of production from the 2 big name free agent pitchers not named Johnson, that being Pavano & Wright (I ALWAYS wanted to keep Lieber over him due to the fact that he could eat the innings, something that was sorely needed), who are both 29 years old, & 2) an absolutely pathetic bullpen save for Gordon, Rivera, & occasionally Sturtze. If those 3 didn't get it done, it did NOT get done. Making absolutely NO effort to re-sign Pettitte 2 years ago after a 21 win season didn't exactly help either. I can understand Clemens getting away, what with his "I'm retiring, no I'm not" schtick, but to not even make a friggin' offer to Pettitte? In-freakin-excusable, period.

OUthunder
10/18/2005, 11:07 AM
I think Damon will be a Yankee.

Salt City Sooner
10/18/2005, 01:14 PM
I think Damon will be a Yankee.
I'd SOOOO love that. Nothing like killing 2 birds (strengthening your own team while weakening your arch rivals) with one stone. I'm hearing that B.J. Ryan would like to don the pinstripes as well, even in a setup role. Couple him with Gordon, & I'm starting to get visions of that old Nelson/Stanton to get to Rivera pen that was uber-successful.

GDC
10/18/2005, 01:37 PM
I'd SOOOO love that. Nothing like killing 2 birds (strengthening your own team while weakening your arch rivals) with one stone. I'm hearing that B.J. Ryan would like to don the pinstripes as well, even in a setup role. Couple him with Gordon, & I'm starting to get visions of that old Nelson/Stanton to get to Rivera pen that was uber-successful.

Gordon is gone, he wants to be the closer somewhere before he gets any older.

GDC
10/18/2005, 07:24 PM

Mailbag: What's next for the Bombers?
By Mark Feinsand / MLB.com

Do you think the Yankees should keep Jaret Wright and Carl Pavano after the injuries they endured? I like what Wright did when he came back and think the Yanks should keep him, but I think they could trade Pavano for a top-of-the-line reliever and give Aaron Small his spot in the rotation. -- Pamela Jo C., New York

Any team which was willing to deal for Pavano would be taking on three years and about $30 million, so I find it hard to believe that the Yankees would be able to get a top reliever in exchange for the right-hander. Even if the Yankees were willing to pay some of the contract (which they probably would have to in order to deal Pavano), I can't see any team parting with a big-time bullpen guy for a starter with a mysterious shoulder ailment.

Same goes for Wright, who has a history of shoulder trouble and missed four months of the 2005 season. With two years and $14 million left on his contract, most teams would probably stay away from him.

If the team has any starters with real trade value, it would be Chien-Ming Wang, Shawn Chacon and Small, though I don't see them dealing those guys unless an unexpected injury creates a pressing need.

What are the odds that Eric Duncan plays next year? Having played high school baseball against Duncan, I know he's an incredible hitter. As I recall from high school scouting reports and local papers, the only topics of criticism were his defense, particularly his footwork. I noted that a recent article on Yankees.com said he moved to first base, which is obviously better for him considering Alex Rodriguez has third base locked up. While he probably wouldn't add anything to the Yankees defensively at first base, do you think it's possible that we see him in the Majors in 2006? -- Phil A., N.J.

Duncan remains one of the Yankees' top Minor League prospects, but I can't imagine him making an impact for the Major League team in 2006. Of course, no one ever thought that Robinson Cano or Chien-Ming Wang would play such an integral part in the team's 2005 campaign, either.

Duncan, who was the Yankees' first-round draft pick in 2003, didn't have an overwhelming season at Double-A Trenton in 2005, hitting just .235 with 19 home runs and 61 RBIs in 126 games. He walked 59 times and struck out a whopping 136 times in 451 at-bats, reminding people that he is still young. Duncan turns 21 on Dec. 7.

Despite his inconsistency at Trenton, Duncan has been tearing up the Arizona Fall League this month, hitting .429 with five homers and 13 RBIs in the first eight games for the Grand Canyon Rafters. His strikeout ratio is still alarming -- nine Ks in his first 35 at-bats -- but he is showing more aggressiveness at the plate.

As for 2006, I think it's too much to ask him to make a contribution that soon. Duncan has just started to play first base for the first time in the AFL, so he would probably need a year in the Minors to get comfortable with the position. Jason Giambi is signed for three more years, though he could finish his contract as a designated hitter. Duncan could receive an invitation to Major League camp in Spring Training, but in all likelihood, he will start the season at Triple-A Columbus, and he could earn himself a September callup.

Have a question about the Yankees?
E-mail your query to MLB.com Yankees beat writer Mark Feinsand for possible inclusion in a future mailbag column. Letters may be edited for brevity, length and/or content.

First Name, Last Initial:
Hometown:

Email Address:

Question:

For the past few years, the Yankees have been trying to find a solid setup man for Mariano Rivera, but they have gotten closers and ex-closers such as Tom Gordon to do the job. Why don't the Yankees try and find an actual setup man instead of giving an ex-closer the job? -- JoeYank2

Once a pitcher has been a successful closer, it's hard to imagine him being overwhelmed by many circumstances. That's the theory behind bringing in a former closer to pitch the eighth, because with a pitcher such as Rivera ready for the ninth, the game essentially becomes a seven-inning game.

Gordon had great success as Rivera's setup man in his two seasons setting up for the Yankees, going 14-8 with six saves while posting ERAs of 2.21 and 2.57 in 159 appearances.

His performance during the regular season was nothing short of stellar; it was his postseason numbers that caused people to question his effectiveness. Steve Karsay, who signed with the Yankees after closing games for the Indians and Braves, was also an effective setup man in 2002 before encountering several injury problems.

The Yankees will likely look to the free-agent market again to bolster the bullpen this winter, with Orioles closer B.J. Ryan as the likely No. 1 target. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a better pitcher for the Yankees to pursue.

Don't you think that with his stuff and lack of command, Scott Proctor would make a much better starting pitcher than reliever? -- Alex B., N.Y.

Proctor had success in his only start for the Yankees this season, holding Texas to three runs in five innings of a 9-8 Yankees victory. But I don't think his calling is as a starter. With a fastball that consistently hits high-90s, Proctor simply needs to work on his command. If he can do that, he can become a dominant late-inning reliever.

With guys who throw hard, starting isn't necessarily the answer. He has had success as a closer in the Minors, saving 14 games for Columbus in 35 appearances this season. Proctor isn't likely to get a shot as a starter with the Yankees any time soon, so if he is to contribute to this team, it will be as a middle reliever/setup man.

I look at Proctor in the same light as Tanyon Sturtze when it came to starting vs. relieving. Sturtze was very inconsistent as a starter, as he was forced to use four pitches on a consistent basis. Once he moved to the bullpen, he was able to stick with his two best pitches and go into attack mode. Proctor wouldn't be as effective if he had to mix it up as much, as his best pitch is his four-seamer.

Mark Feinsand is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

OUthunder
10/18/2005, 08:02 PM
Ryan would be a good choice unless he punches a wall or pulls a Pavano. ;)

Salt City Sooner
10/19/2005, 01:47 PM
Looking for a new bench coach now, Girardi's now the manager of the Florida Marlins.

OUthunder
10/19/2005, 02:12 PM
Looking for a new bench coach now, Girardi's now the manager of the Florida Marlins.

Good for him bad for us!

GDC
10/19/2005, 03:43 PM
From what I could see this year, Girardi was learning from Torre more than advising him so I would say y'all lost an SBT (Sycophant Bench Toadie) instead of a Bench Coach. ;)

He was being groomed to one day be the Yankee manager, but so is Mattingly.

OUthunder
10/19/2005, 03:56 PM
He was being groomed to one day be the Yankee manager, but so is Mattingly.

I'll take Donnie baseball over Giradi by a hair.

TopDawg
10/19/2005, 04:28 PM
"Pre-historic" arms weren't what hurt this team the worst, IMO.

What killed this team in the post-season is the same thing that killed them last year, and it's just as much a mystery this year as last: no clutch hitting.

GDC
10/19/2005, 05:01 PM

I just wish Mattingly had stayed around as a player a few more years.

OUthunder
10/19/2005, 05:07 PM
I just wish Mattingly had stayed around as a player a few more years.

His back must of been really ****ed up to walk away like he did. He is my favorite Yankee of all time right in front of Maris.

Salt City Sooner
10/19/2005, 05:38 PM
Espn's reporting that talks w/ Mazzone have broken off. On ESPN News, Steve Phillips made mention of the fact that he & Baltimore's manager have been friends since they were kids & he wouldn't be surprised if he lands there. Oh well......

Salt City Sooner
10/19/2005, 05:40 PM
YMSSRA. #23's my all time favorite Yankee. I have SOOO wondered what kind of numbers he'd have put up were it not for that back.

Scott D
10/19/2005, 05:46 PM
What killed this team in the post-season is the same thing that killed them last year, and it's just as much a mystery this year as last: no clutch hitting.

it's not much of a mystery....it wears #13 and plays 3rd base.

GDC
10/19/2005, 07:24 PM

Sheff, Hideki, and Posada weren't much help either. Without Cano the Yanks probably would have gotten swept.

So will Damon and Ryan be enough? Are they going to resign Matsui and Gordon?

Salt City Sooner
10/19/2005, 08:30 PM
He stunk it up for sure, but he had a LOT of company. As a team, they hit .251 vs. the Angels. Take away Jeter's 7 for 21 & Giambi's 8 for 19, & the rest of the team hit all of .211. That just ain't gonna cut it in all probability, regardless of how good your pitching is. Sheff & Cano were the only other ones that were even respectable, & it's not like they exactly lit it up (.286 & .263 respectively).

GDC
10/19/2005, 08:37 PM
He stunk it up for sure, but he had a LOT of company. As a team, they hit .251 vs. the Angels. Take away Jeter's 7 for 21 & Giambi's 8 for 19, & the rest of the team hit all of .211. That just ain't gonna cut it in all probability, regardless of how good your pitching is. Sheff & Cano were the only other ones that were even respectable, & it's not like they exactly lit it up (.286 & .263 respectively).

Yes, but Cano had most of their ribbies.

Scott D
10/19/2005, 08:39 PM
hey I'm just sayin there's better uses for $25 Million a year :)

Salt City Sooner
10/19/2005, 09:27 PM
Jeter & Cano tied w/ 5 RBI each.

OUthunder
10/20/2005, 06:55 AM
I thought that Shef did his job as well.

OUthunder
10/20/2005, 07:02 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-torre&prov=ap&type=lgns

Torre!!!

OUthunder
10/20/2005, 07:32 AM
More Yankee news.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankeesfuture&prov=ap&type=lgns

Salt City Sooner
10/20/2005, 11:16 PM
Interesting....I can think of worse hires than this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2199155

OUthunder
10/21/2005, 08:01 AM
Interesting....I can think of worse hires than this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2199155

IMO, the Yanks could use a little more fire in the clubhouse. Bowa would certainly fit that need.
:)

Salt City Sooner
10/21/2005, 12:12 PM
IMO, the Yanks could use a little more fire in the clubhouse. Bowa would certainly fit that need.
:)
The password (down the road anyway) is Piniella..... ;)

OUthunder
10/21/2005, 12:28 PM
The password (down the road anyway) is Piniella..... ;)

<smoking cig in the dugout> That would be interesting. ;)

Salt City Sooner
10/22/2005, 09:57 AM
The AL East just got a little tougher as Mazzone has officially landed in Baltimore.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2199840

OUthunder
10/22/2005, 10:08 AM
There's a reason why the Yanks wanted him ...to keep him out of enemy hands. The Orioles have the tools to be good, they just lack the leadership and attitude. Mazzone will bring both.

Salt City Sooner
10/22/2005, 02:33 PM
Ok, I had to lol at this. I just got this week's issue of Sporting News & a little blurb on pg. 7 titled "The devil made me do it" caught my eye:

"It's true, Yankee fans are evil. OK, maybe not evil, but definitely vindictive. The past couple of seasons, a Yankees fan/Topps baseball card employee has assigned card # 666 of the Topps Total collection to the player responsible for knocking the Yankees out of the playoffs the previous year. Red Sox pitcher Keith Foulke was # 666 in the 2005 collection; Marlins pitcher Josh Beckett earned the distinction in 2004. Look out Francisco Rodriguez, you're next."

Scott D
10/22/2005, 03:26 PM
the topps employee should give that card # to Alex Rodriguez :D

Salt City Sooner
10/25/2005, 12:00 PM
Looks like Bowa's coming in as 3rd base coach. Sojo doesn't sound too thrilled either:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2202819

OUthunder
10/27/2005, 07:27 AM
Cashman is staying with the Yankees.

Take that how ever you want. Personally, he's OK in my books.

GDC
10/27/2005, 08:30 PM

Yanks turn focus to center field
Several options available for outfield upgrade

NEW YORK -- Bernie Williams has been the Yankees' starting center fielder for the past 15 years, but when the Bombers open the 2006 campaign, there will be somebody new roaming the middle of the outfield for New York.
Williams is a free agent, and the club has made no secret of its desire to bring in some new blood at the position. That leaves the Yankees in the position to acquire a player via the free agent market or in a trade, giving them several options.

Here's a breakdown of where the Yankees could go to fill the void in center field:

Torii Hunter: The Yankees know what Hunter offers, having seen him blossom into an All-Star throughout his career. Hunter is a four-time Gold Glove Award winner, having won each year from 2001-04, and his stellar defense would be precisely what the Yankees have been missing at the position.

Hunter sold his home in Minnesota this year, perhaps a sign that he expects to be dealt this winter. With a salary of $10.75 million in 2006 and a $12 million option in 2007, the cost-conscious Twins could look to move the 30-year-old. New York would be hard-pressed to trade Robinson Cano or Chien-Ming Wang, but prospects such as Philip Hughes or Eric Duncan could probably be dealt.

Juan Pierre: Like Hunter, Pierre could be moved by the Marlins because of salary concerns as he enters his final year before free agency. Pierre could earn a bump in arbitration to the $5 million-$7 million range, which Florida is unlikely to take on for 2006. Pierre's 2005 season wasn't his best, as his .276 average marked the lowest of his career and a 50-point drop-off from 2004.

That said, he did steal 57 bases and would give the Yankees a leadoff hitter, allowing Joe Torre to drop Derek Jeter back to the No. 2 spot and Alex Rodriguez to the third hole. Pierre has one more thing going for him: George Steinbrenner loves to acquire players who have beaten his team. Pierre played a big role in the Marlins' 2003 World Series win over the Yankees, batting .333 with a .481 on-base percentage.

Other potential trade targerts include the Mets' Mike Cameron and the Dodgers' Milton Bradley, each of whom could be shopped by their respective clubs.

Johnny Damon: The best center fielder on the free-agent market, which also includes Preston Wilson. Damon seems like an unlikely fit for the Yankees. After spending the past four years with the Red Sox, Damon has earned a place in the rivalry, so it would be very strange to see him don the pinstripes.

Of course, if Roger Clemens and Wade Boggs can join the Yankees, why not Damon? His defensive skills are better than Williams, though his arm is just as weak. Damon offers leadoff ability, having hit .316 with a .366 on-base percentage and 18 steals in 2005, but defense is the Yankees' top priority in center, so Damon will likely end up elsewhere.

Brian Giles: The two-time All-Star isn't exactly the conventional choice for center field, though he has played 300 of his 1,360 career games at the position. Of that total, he has played just 36 games in center over the last four seasons after playing 241 games in center between 1999-2001.

Giles, a free agent, would give the Yankees a decent bat at the position, though his numbers over the past three years haven't come close to the stellar run he had from 1999-2002. He could also be signed to play left field, which brings us to the next option...

Hideki Matsui: The Yankees are expected to re-sign Matsui, who has played 393 of his 487 games in the Majors in left field. But Matsui has played 77 games in center for the Yankees, including 28 in 2005. Matsui was a center fielder in Japan, so the position is hardly uncomfortable for him. By moving Matsui to center, the Yankees could pursue a new left fielder, possibly Giles, to fill that hole.

Bubba Crosby: If the Yankees decide that none of the options on the market are worth the asking price, they could give Crosby a shot at the starting job. Crosby hit .276 in 98 at-bats this season, including a .327 mark in the final month. He even started two of New York's postseason games, as Torre decided that his defense was more important than Williams' offense. Crosby will be back with the Yankees either way, though playing time is far from a certainty.

Ken Griffey Jr: Is it possible? Sure, why not? Griffey's Reds are not going anywhere, and with a crowded outfield featuring Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns and Wily Mo Pena, Cincinnati could certainly use Griffey's eight-figure salary to bring in some other players. This scenario is not very likely, but wouldn't it be fun to see Junior reunited with A-Rod and Randy Johnson, his former Seattle teammates?

Alfonso Soriano: Yes, we're still talking about center field. Soriano has said he doesn't want to move from second base to the outfield, but would that still be the case if he had a chance to return to the Yankees? Soriano loves New York, still keeps an apartment in the area, and is a year away from free agency. If the Yanks can convince him to move to center, he could be a good fit. Never say never ... two years ago, no one thought it was possible that A-Rod would replace Aaron Boone at third base.

Mark Feinsand is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

OUthunder
10/27/2005, 08:33 PM
I'll take Soriano out of the entire group.

GDC
10/27/2005, 08:33 PM
I'll take Soriano out of the entire group.

That would be sweet.

Salt City Sooner
10/28/2005, 01:05 AM
My choices:

1. Soriano- because A) I HATED to see him leave, B) he didn't want to leave, & C) I'm extremely curious to see if Donnie could instill even just a LITTLE bit of plate discipline in him. The guy's strike zone is still anything between the dugouts. Great power though, & he can steal a base as well.

2. Pierre- He'd give NY a major boost in one of the few categories that the offense could use some improvement in, IMO, that being swiping bases. Sure, they've got some players who can swipe a few (Jeter, ARod), but they don't have that true headache on the bases that can distract a battery enough from doing their job at the plate. I thought Womack could've been this, but for whatever reason, he just hasn't worked out. BTW, Pierre's 57 swipes were 28 less than the entire Yankees team.

3. Hunter- Most definitely would solve the problem defensively. The only drawback I could see with him would be that Jeter would still be the leadoff man, but there are worse things. Above average speed on the bases to go along with good power, although I wonder about his HR total decreasing a bit, what with having to face Death Valley consistently.

4. Damon- the old "weaken your enemy while strengthening yourself" arguement. I'd rank him higher, but as the writer mentioned, his arm is barely a step up from Bernie, which is one of the biggest reasons they're looking for CF's in the first place.

Salt City Sooner
10/31/2005, 02:15 PM
Yankees mailbag this week. Agree 100% on his ARod comments:

"With Joe Torre and Brian Cashman signed for 2006 and beyond, the focus will now shift to the Yankees' winter program, as New York looks to make the moves that will get the club back to the World Series next season.
Hideki Matsui is the first order of business, as the Yankees try to get their left fielder signed, sealed and delivered for another few years. Assuming they get Matsui signed, the Yanks can then turn their attention toward center field and the bullpen.

The season may have ended weeks ago, but it's clear that the Yankees are still on everybody's mind, as the mailbag received more than 1,600 e-mail this week. Keep up the good work.

Let's get to the mail...

I'm disinclined to agree with your assessment of Alex Rodriguez in your recent bravado of praise, Mr. Feinsand. These boys get paid big money to perform at full levels on all aspects of the regular season and postseason. Stop making excuses for A-Rod. He played well all season long and got them to the playoffs alone? Negatory. A good majority aided him on that road and with those salaries, you are mandated to perform to push further than what they have been. What is your take on that reality? -- Jason, Seaford, N.Y.

Well, Jason, I happen to agree that Alex didn't get the Yankees there alone. However, he didn't lose the Division Series alone, either. Consider these statistics:

• Gary Sheffield had zero extra-base hits in the five-game series.
• Matsui hit .200 in the five-game series, with two of his five hits in the Game 3 loss. He also went 0-for-5 and stranded eight men on base in Game 5.
• Bernie Williams hit .211 in the series, going 0-for-7 in the final two games.
• Tino Martinez was hitless in eight at-bats in the series.
• Jorge Posada hit .231 in the series.
• All four homers hit by the Yankees in the series were solo shots.

That "majority" you mentioned is also making serious money, so to absolve them of any blame for the ALDS loss doesn't make any sense. A-Rod certainly contributed to the early exit, but he wasn't alone.

Baseball is not the NBA or NHL, where one player can carry an entire team. Look at the White Sox; did they have one player doing all the damage? This is a team sport, so when a team loses, it's hard to place the blame on a single hitter.

Could you please clarify the status of Jaret Wright's contract? It was reported when he signed that the third year of his contract would become void if he spent more than 72 games on the DL in 2005 (which he did). Was this a vicious rumor, or is next year in fact his last guaranteed year under contract? -- Vincent R., New York

There is a clause in the contract which allows the Yankees to buy out the final year of the contract for $4 million instead of paying Wright $7 million in 2007. Whether that will happen, of course, is unclear.

Wright has another year to show the Yankees why they should hold on to him. If he can stay healthy, he has a chance to be an effective pitcher for New York.

Can you give us your opinion on what's going to happen to our pitching roster in 2006? With the discoveries that Aaron Small, Chien-Ming Wang and Shawn Chacon can really pitch, what are we going to do with our original lineup of Wright, Carl Pavano, etc.? -- Jared D.

With all seven of the starters returning in 2006, the Yankees will have the depth that Joe Torre didn't have last spring. I believe Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Wang and Chacon will likely be in the rotation, with Carl Pavano filling out the final spot.

That leaves Wright and Small in the bullpen, though an injury is bound to pop up with one of the starters. In that case, I see Wright moving to the rotation and Small serving as the long reliever. Small's versatility makes him the ideal candidate for that role, which would still allow him to make a spot start when necessary.

In the Oct. 17 edition of Yankees Mailbag, you said that you think there isn't a better pitcher for the Yankees to pursue than B.J. Ryan. I agree with you, but how likely do you think it is that he would want to come to New York to set up for Mariano Rivera when he could be the closer somewhere else? -- Steve R., Hollis, N.Y.

Why do you feel that B.J. Ryan would be a better fit than Billy Wagner of the Phillies? -- Jared E., Kihei, Hawaii

Ryan would be a perfect fit for the Yankees, being a left-hander with nasty stuff. Yes, Wagner matches that description as well, but at 34, he's five years older than Ryan.

Wagner has also been a closer for his entire career, so he may have his sights set on certain career numbers. He is 16 saves shy of 300 for his career, and having posted a 1.51 ERA last season while notching 38 saves, it's unlikely that he would revert to a setup role at this stage in his career.

Ryan, on the other hand, has been a closer for just one year, so a return to a setup role isn't out of the question. At 29, he has several years left to close, and if the Yankees bring him on, he could eventually replace Rivera when he retires.

Wagner has also made millions of dollars during his career, while Ryan is getting his first crack at free agency this season. The Yankees may be able to tempt Ryan with a huge contract offer and a solid shot at the postseason -- something Ryan has never experienced.

Ramiro Mendoza played such a large role in the Yankees' championship years. Can we ever expect Mendoza to recover from his ailments and return to his former glory? -- Giovanni G., Yonkers, N.Y.

Ramiro Mendoza was brought up from Columbus in September, but was hardly used despite good numbers in the Minors. He has a proven track record for being very effective. What is his status going into the 2006 season? -- Chris B., Willow Grove

I got about 20 e-mails this week asking about Mendoza, showing that Yankees fans don't forget the players from the 1996-2000 championship teams very easily.

However, those fans must not have seen Mendoza pitch on Sept. 1 in Seattle, either. Mendoza didn't look anything like the pitcher he used to be in that outing, leaving one sinker after another up in the zone.

Yes, he had good numbers in the Minors while rehabbing his shoulder, but Torre said in mid-September that Mendoza simply hadn't been able to build his arm strength back to the point where he could be effective.

Mendoza was one of the Yankees players to file for free agency last week, so his status is unknown for 2006. The guess here is that he signs a Minor League contract -- possibly with the Yankees -- and tries to make a big-league roster during the spring."

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051031&content_id=1262597&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

GDC
11/1/2005, 10:15 PM
Jeter wins Gold love.

Salt City Sooner
11/2/2005, 05:05 PM
& Lee Maz returns as bench coach. Unless I'm missing something, Mel's spot is all that's left to fill on the staff unless Sojo gets ticked & splits:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2211539

Salt City Sooner
11/2/2005, 05:15 PM
Also, I don't know if he was in future plans or not, but I just saw on ESPN News that Matt Lawton is getting the 10 day vacation for juicing.

OUthunder
11/2/2005, 06:13 PM
Also, I don't know if he was in future plans or not, but I just saw on ESPN News that Matt Lawton is getting the 10 day vacation for juicing.

He looked a little plump and juicy. He'll get released.

Salt City Sooner
11/2/2005, 08:53 PM
The thing that surprised me a bit is that he's looked that way as long as I can remember, yet he goes this long without getting caught. I had previously hoped that it wouldn't come to this, but a big part of me is now hoping that congress comes in & smacks the snot out of Donald Fehr & his cronies.

Scott D
11/2/2005, 09:28 PM
He looked a little plump and juicy. He'll get released.

that would work if he wasn't a free agent already :D

OUthunder
11/2/2005, 11:37 PM
that would work if he wasn't a free agent already :D

See my point. :D

Salt City Sooner
11/3/2005, 05:53 PM
Looks like Sojo got his promotion, he's now the manager of Tampa. In an addition I REALLY like, Tony Pena is taking his place as first base coach. If Gator (my all time favorite Yankee pitcher) comes on board w/ Kerrigan, I can't see where that staff would take a backseat to anyone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2212827

OUthunder
11/4/2005, 12:58 PM
All the Yanks need now is a decent starting rotation. Or at least, someone who won't hit a wall with there fist or get hit by a batsman every time they take the mound! :)

Salt City Sooner
11/4/2005, 04:10 PM
Mucho happiness! Louisiana Lightning is on board, along w/ Joe K.. I didn't really think about it until now, but as the article says, Mattingly is the ONLY one left who was on staff last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2214003

Ike
11/4/2005, 04:16 PM
rock on.

OUthunder
11/4/2005, 06:51 PM
Donnie Baseball will be manager when Torre steps down.

Take it to da banker.

GDC
11/4/2005, 11:39 PM
Donnie Baseball will be manager when Torre steps down.

Take it to da banker.

Him or Girardi?

Scott D
11/5/2005, 11:09 AM
Him or Girardi?

Ben Ogilvie will be the next manager of the Yanks.

OUthunder
11/5/2005, 10:32 PM
Whatever happened to Paul O'Neil. Is he commentating at all.

I loved the way he played.

Salt City Sooner
11/6/2005, 12:34 AM
He fills in periodically on YES. He was easily my favorite player on those late 90's teams. NOBODY out competed him. Dude just shut up, did his job & did it well. A few times I found my self actually begging teams to run on that cannon he had just for the heck of it. It was hilarious to see that "no freakin' WAY did he just make that throw" look on some of those poor saps faces....:D

OUthunder
11/7/2005, 09:08 AM
Paulie was also my favorite player of the 90's. I loved how he played, his intensity, and like you said above, just shut up and played ball. Opposing teams fans called him a whiner, in reality he was just intense.

Brosius was another guy I really admired. Just played.

GDC
11/7/2005, 10:32 AM
Ben Ogilvie will be the next manager of the Yanks.

What?

Salt City Sooner
11/8/2005, 01:00 AM
& in other news, Cano finished 2nd to Street in the Rookie of the Year balloting. Much as it irks me to give credit to a horn, I'd have to say they got it right.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2216645

"Brosius was another guy I really admired. Just played."
Most definitely. Throw Mike Stanley (even though he later went to Boston), Chili Davis, Mike Stanton, Jimmy Key ( I still say Coney screwed him out of the Cy Young in '94, but considering that DC came over to the good guys, I'll forgive him, lol), & one of my biggest regrets as a Yankee fan, Andy Pettitte.

Oh, & BTW, I am NOT making the next post in this thread, no matter how big the news is.....:D

Scott D
11/8/2005, 04:41 AM
What?

you hatin' on Ben Ogilvie?

GDC
11/8/2005, 03:47 PM
you hatin' on Ben Ogilvie?

Far from it, but that's the first I've heard of that.

Scott D
11/8/2005, 04:11 PM
Far from it, but that's the first I've heard of that.

It's not likely, I just wanted take the opportunity to throw a quality name out there like Ben Ogilvie :)

GDC
11/8/2005, 04:47 PM
It's not likely, I just wanted take the opportunity to throw a quality name out there like Ben Ogilvie :)

Wasn't he part of those awesome Brewer teams with guys like Cecil Cooper from way back?

OUthunder
11/8/2005, 04:51 PM
Does anyone still remember whe the Yanks had Cecil Fielder on the roster?

Good times.

Scott D
11/8/2005, 05:01 PM
Wasn't he part of those awesome Brewer teams with guys like Cecil Cooper from way back?

yeah he was the LF with Cecil Cooper, Robin Yount, Rollie Fingers, and a young injury prone Paul Molitor.

GDC
11/8/2005, 05:08 PM
yeah he was the LF with Cecil Cooper, Robin Yount, Rollie Fingers, and a young injury prone Paul Molitor.

If those teams had had any pitching they would have been unstoppable.

Scott D
11/8/2005, 05:10 PM
If those teams had had any pitching they would have been unstoppable.

no argument here...they should have beaten the Cardinals in 82. How can you let Darrell Porter beat you ;)

Salt City Sooner
11/9/2005, 06:14 PM
Oglivie tied Reggie for the A.L. home run crown in '80 with 41, easily his best overall year. As for their pitching in their W.S. year, they had a nice 1-2 punch with Vuckovich, who won the Cy Young that year, & Caldwell. They also got Don Sutton from Houston late that year. McClure & Haas weren't stellar by any means, but for 4 & 5 guys, they were serviceable. Make no mistake though, it was Harvey's Wallbangers that got them as far as they went.

"Does anyone still remember whe the Yanks had Cecil Fielder on the roster?"
Me & the wife went up to Royals stadium that year to see the Yanks & CF hit a BOMB. One of the longest HR's I've ever seen in that place.

GDC
11/9/2005, 09:02 PM
I see where the best pitcher in the AL, Rivera, was jobbed on the Cy Young. :mad:

Salt City Sooner
11/9/2005, 09:40 PM
I'd have minded it a LOT less, had it been Santana who did the jobbing. Except for wins (& most of that can be attributed to run support), Santana was better in virtually EVERYTHING.

Wins: Colon 21, Santana 16

Losses: Colon 8, Santana 7

ERA: Colon 3.48, Santana 2.87

Both were in 33 games, all starts

Innings pitched: Colon 222 2/3, Santana 231 2/3

Complete games: Colon 2, Santana 3

Hits allowed: Colon 215 Santana 180

Walks: Colon 43, Santana 45

Strikeouts: Colon 157, Santana 238

HR allowed: Colon 26, Santana 22

Exactly WHO had the better year?

Oh, & I'd still give it to Rivera. :D

OUthunder
11/10/2005, 12:51 AM
Colon winning it was a freakin joke.

OUthunder
11/11/2005, 08:57 AM
Looks like the Yanks want to keep Godzilla.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-matsui&prov=ap&type=lgns

Salt City Sooner
11/14/2005, 03:28 PM
Well Halle-freakin-lluah, the voters got ONE right anyway:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2223736

GDC
11/14/2005, 03:29 PM
Well Halle-freakin-lluah, the voters got ONE right anyway:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2223736

Good thing they voted before the playoffs!

Herr Scholz
11/14/2005, 03:39 PM
Congrats to Mr. October Vacation.

Salt City Sooner
11/16/2005, 06:48 AM
Looks like Godzilla's stickin' around. 4 years @ 13 million per year. Sturtze is also coming back:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2225216

Scott D
11/16/2005, 02:16 PM
What about the rumor that Sheff wants out?

OUthunder
11/16/2005, 03:51 PM
Note to Shef:

There's the door... don't let it hit you on the way out!

Salt City Sooner
11/16/2005, 05:34 PM
Haven't heard anything about that. Matter of fact if you remember back to last summer, he was more than a little ticked off at even the suggestion of being traded when the Cameron rumors were swirling. I watched him in an interview about 3 weeks/month ago in which he stated that he'd like to play out the rest of his contract w/ NY, & then in all probability, retire.

Scott D
11/16/2005, 05:47 PM
*shrug* I can't confirm it which is why it's a rumor, just allegedy in some circles it's gone about that he's still miffed about that whole 'team leader' fiasco from late last season. I'd be the first one to say that if that was true it's pretty petty, but then again it *is* Sheffield we're talking about.

OUthunder
11/23/2005, 06:20 PM
The Yanks are striking out on the pitching front.

Salt City Sooner
11/29/2005, 02:48 PM
ESPN News is reporting that Torre is contemplating moving either ARod or Jeter to centerfield, although he has talked with neither player about it yet.

OUthunder
11/29/2005, 02:58 PM
ESPN News is reporting that Torre is contemplating moving either ARod or Jeter to centerfield, although he has talked with neither player about it yet.

BAD IDEA!

Salt City Sooner
12/1/2005, 01:21 AM
Mebbe this is a better idea.... :D Welcome to the Big Apple Mr. Farnsworth:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2243078

I'm taking the loss of Flash a LOT better now.

OUthunder
12/1/2005, 08:58 AM
He throws some major heat. If he stays healthy, it should be a good pick-up.

Salt City Sooner
12/2/2005, 05:03 PM
Farnsworth signs: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2245182

Also heard on ESPN News that the Yanks are now taking a very hard look at Juan Pierre. I can live w/ that, esp. at the price they're asking (Procter & Henn). ESPN said that the Yanks "have not said no" to the deal.

GDC
12/2/2005, 07:37 PM
I hope Varitek ****es him off at some point.

GDC
12/6/2005, 08:32 AM
wtf?

Nomar's agent contacts Yankees
Tellem pitching former shortstop as multi-position player

DALLAS -- The past decade has been considered the golden age of shortstops, with Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and Nomar Garciaparra heading the group for much of that time.
The Yankees already feature Jeter and A-Rod on the left side of their infield, having converted Rodriguez from a Gold Glove shortstop to an MVP third baseman.

Will Garciaparra be joining them this season?

Though it appears to be an unlikely scenario, it's hard to count anything out.

General manager Brian Cashman recently heard from Arn Tellem, who represents Garciaparra, about the idea of the Yankees signing the 32-year-old free agent.

"I've heard from Arn in the past about him," Cashman said. "I'm talking to everybody about anybody on the free agent market that may fit."

According to one person with knowledge of the situation, Tellem has been shopping Garciaparra around as a multi-position player, including an outfielder.

The Yankees have no openings in the infield, with Rodriguez, Jeter, Robinson Cano and Jason Giambi firmly entrenched at their respective positions. But the club continues to look for an upgrade in center field, and with no player penciled in at the designated hitter spot, Garciaparra could see a significant number of at-bats if he were to sign with New York.

That is, if the Yankees decided to take a flyer on Garciaparra as a center fielder.

"I've had people throw ideas my way," Cashman said. "What we need for this team is to be more flexible. We don't need another station-to-station guy with power only who can't run. I would like to get some flexibility."

With the current roster, Giambi and Andy Phillips are penciled in as the first baseman/DH duo for the upcoming season. Cashman said that he is comfortable with that tandem, as the offense is stacked with several high-profile bats, such as A-Rod, Jeter, Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui.

"Andy can swing the bat," Cashman said. "If the season started today, we'd be comfortable with him being that guy. But the season doesn't start today."

Cashman spent the first day of the Winter Meetings speaking with several player agents and club executives, as he continues to search for a center fielder and bullpen help.

"We'll see if it leads to anything or not," the GM said. "They're both areas we'd like to see if we can improve upon."

With Bubba Crosby on the roster, the need for relievers is more urgent than a center fielder, as Cashman would be comfortable using Crosby in center next season.

"The guy was our starting outfielder in the playoffs; why would we be afraid to start him in center on Opening Day?" Cashman said. "What he is is still an unknown. He's got talent, he's got power, he can run and throw. He can do a lot of different things; to what degree, I don't know."

Relievers on the free agent market include Julian Tavarez, Mike Myers, Joey Eischen and Ricardo Rincon. The Yankees already have seven starting pitchers under contract, as well as Mariano Rivera, Kyle Farnsworth and Tanyon Sturtze, giving them 10 pitchers on the roster. That said, Cashman could target two more arms before the offseason is over.

"We could go 11, we could go 12; it just depends on the makeup of the club," Cashman said. "We're just trying to assemble as many quality choices as possible."

Cashman admitted that he has factored the excess of starters into his thinking, as the two hurlers who do not make the rotation will be shifted to the bullpen. Randy Johnson and Mike Mussina are the only two starters assured of spots, with Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, Chien-Ming Wang, Shawn Chacon and Aaron Small fighting for the remaining three spots.

"Some are more well suited for relief than others," Cashman said. "But in all fairness, I think everybody else will compete for the remaining spots."

OUthunder
12/6/2005, 09:02 AM
Nomar as a DH?

Hmmmmn. Might be worth a try and he might stay healthy seeing limited action.

GrapevineSooner
12/6/2005, 11:33 AM
Nomah staying healthy?

The prognosis on that is about as cloudy as the clam chowdah I'm having for lunch today.

Scott D
12/6/2005, 11:57 AM
heh...Yankees should just go with Crosby in center, and work more on getting that 1-2 more middle relievers.

Salt City Sooner
12/6/2005, 03:38 PM
as long as one of them is not named Tavarez. That guy is a THUG. The second things don't go his way, his WAYYY too fragile psyche explodes & he starts headhunting. Absolutely NOT a guy I want anything to do with.

OUthunder
12/6/2005, 03:47 PM
Hunter from the Twins is who I want.

GDC
12/6/2005, 03:54 PM
Hunter from the Twins is who I want.

We need defense and speed for sure, the rest of the lineup has plenty of pop.

Salt City Sooner
12/9/2005, 12:53 AM
Yanks deal Womack to Reds for 2 minor leaguers, & also add lefty reliever Mike Myers from Boston. Good pickup, IMO:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2252972

josh09
12/23/2005, 10:50 AM
BUMP

josh09
12/23/2005, 10:51 AM
i oficially now hate the yankees for the rest of my life. because their roster is so good. they must die.

OUthunder
12/23/2005, 01:31 PM
Damn Yankees.

GDC
1/4/2006, 10:17 PM
Yanks pitching will be fine. (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060104&content_id=1291105&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy)

OUthunder
1/11/2006, 03:40 PM
Goose should be in the HOF.

Writers are so stupid.

GrapevineSooner
1/11/2006, 06:53 PM
You're just bitter because Jim Rice got one more vote than Goose. ;)

GDC
1/11/2006, 08:32 PM
The rest of the AL might as well not show up this year.

The Consumate Showman
1/11/2006, 09:07 PM
I love Cashman and Steinny.....they are like....the odd couple...

Salt City Sooner
1/12/2006, 12:07 AM
Goose should be in the HOF.

Writers are so stupid.
A-FRICKIN-MEN. That era was SO much more difficult for relievers to amass anything resembling the save totals that you see today it's ridiculous. I remember on more than a few occasions when Goose came in in the 5th/6th innings & was expected to finish the game, a scenario you virtually NEVER see in today's specialized game. Also, as a testament to his versatility, in 1976, his one full season as a starter ( & although he did only go 9-17), he threw 15 complete games, something that such studs as Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Greg Maddux, & Tom Glavine to name a few, have never done. In fact, the last time someone bettered that total was Roger Clemens' 18 in 1987 (Jack McDowell in '91 & Curt Schilling in '98 are the only ones to equal it since).