PDA

View Full Version : The Official Yankees ...

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Herr Scholz
7/19/2005, 04:09 PM
OK, it's inequitable. I would like to see an even playing field. The Yankees have a built in advantage in this system.

Herr Scholz
7/19/2005, 04:11 PM
Herr, I hear what you're saying but the Red Sux bought a title lst year and no one said a thing about it. If the Yankees would have won it would have been the same thing ..."George bought another ring."

Winning is about spending money, just look at the Red Sux.
The Yankees payroll is $85 million dollars higher than the Red Sox'. That difference is more than the payrolls of 20 out of the 30 teams in the league. The Red Sox were lucky to be on the same field as the Yankees, much less come back from a 3-0 deficit to perform the greatest comeback (or choke if you're a Yankee fan) in major league baseball history.

TopDawg
7/19/2005, 04:15 PM
OK, it's inequitable. I would like to see an even playing field. The Yankees have a built in advantage in this system.

I can't argue with that.

Now, would you like to see the same thing in collegiate sports?

Herr Scholz
7/19/2005, 04:17 PM
I can't argue with that.

Damnit, TopDawg. No, I want to keep my rich UT athletic department. Damn you. ;)

Although, it's going that way. They already made us get rid of our 500 page media guide and our caffeine energy drinks.

TopDawg
7/19/2005, 04:27 PM
Damnit, TopDawg. No, I want to keep my rich UT athletic department. Damn you. ;)

Although, it's going that way. They already made us get rid of our 500 page media guide and our caffeine energy drinks.

Heh.

At least you can still put trailers in the endzone. :D

GrapevineSooner
7/19/2005, 05:21 PM
I can't argue with that.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TopDawg again.

GrapevineSooner
7/20/2005, 12:35 AM
Well ...well ....well ...look who's in first ****ing place this morning in the AL East?

Heh!
The Red Sox hope you enjoyed your brief stay in first place. ;)

OUthunder
7/20/2005, 10:08 AM

I have very low expectations this year. You know your team sucks when you can only score ONE RUN against the Texas Rangers pitching staff!
:mad:

Pfft.

GrapevineSooner
7/20/2005, 12:10 PM
And that was against Chan Blo Park. :D

TopDawg
7/20/2005, 12:16 PM

Well, we thought it'd be nice to let y'all have it back for a while.

But we'll get it back.

TopDawg
7/20/2005, 12:17 PM
I have very low expectations this year. You know your team sucks when you can only score ONE RUN against the Texas Rangers pitching staff!

Pfft.

That was just a weird game. Both teams are fairly similar...really good hitting, average (at best) pitching. The fact that it went so long without much offense last night was just weird.

GrapevineSooner
7/20/2005, 01:18 PM
The only thing that would have made that game any weirder is if both teams went the 9th scoreless with the Yankees scoring 4 runs only to lose when Gordon gives up 5 in the bottom half.

I wonder what these offenses will have in store for us tonight.

EDIT: My daughter is getting Baserunning by Jason Giambi as a stocking stuffer this Christmas. :D

OUthunder
7/20/2005, 10:52 PM
I think Giambi is returning to his old form. Good for him and Yankees fans. I had given up on him but we shall see. He had two HR's tonight.

OUthunder
7/21/2005, 02:11 PM
Giambi and Tino ...

If Cano could field worth the damn he'd be a ROTY candidate.

Yanks fans thank you. 2/3 from the strangers and now on to Anaheim where I might actually see a game on TV after work.

Sooner04
7/21/2005, 02:38 PM
The New York Yankees - The best slow-pitch softball team money can buy.

;)

TopDawg
7/21/2005, 02:49 PM
If Cano could field worth the damn he'd be a ROTY candidate.

No diggity.

GrapevineSooner
7/24/2005, 01:38 AM
Seems Anaheim's come from behind win on Thursday has rattled them.

All that momentum coming out of the All-Star Break, as well as all those games they gained on the Red Sox, are now gone.

OUthunder
7/24/2005, 03:11 PM
Anaheim owns the Yanks.

OUthunder
7/24/2005, 08:36 PM
Yanks FINALLY take one from the Angels, 4-1. Nice outing by Mussina.

OUthunder
7/27/2005, 12:10 PM
gdc ....come on down!

We actually got a quality start by a starter.

Ike
7/27/2005, 12:56 PM
I miss the days when Angel Stadium was known as Yankee Stadium:West

OUthunder
7/27/2005, 01:10 PM
Me too.

Herr Scholz
7/28/2005, 09:47 AM
I always thought A Rod and Jeter got along pretty well. I've never heard about any rift. I'm not a Yankee fan though.

OUthunder
7/28/2005, 10:55 AM
That's news to me but A-Rod is a lot like Clemens ...a primadonna.

Ike
7/28/2005, 11:21 AM
There are a lot of players that bring more to a team than just their talent. I consider Jeter to be one of thos guys.

A-Rod, not so much.

sooneron
7/28/2005, 08:11 PM
Jeter and Pay Rod are very good friends. Before they were teammates.

Herr Scholz
7/29/2005, 09:32 AM
I'm sorry but Hideo Nomo and now Shawn Chacon? The Yankees are SURE to make the playoffs now. ;)

OUthunder
7/29/2005, 10:52 AM
We just picked up two fine pitchers via trade....compared to Kevin Brown that is. ;)

OUthunder
7/31/2005, 10:00 AM
Thuh.....uhhhhhhhhhh......uhhhhhhh Yankeeeeees win! The Yankees win! :)

Our bullpen with the exception of Rivera blows.

SapulpaSooner
7/31/2005, 07:58 PM
http://www.moviequotequiz.com/reviews/GroundhogDayBig.gif

GrapevineSooner
7/31/2005, 09:09 PM
"That's the exciting part about being a Yankee,'' Giambi said. "Whenever you do anything special, you're joining Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio. That's one of the reasons I came here.''
Yeah, sure Jason. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the money had nothing do with it. :D

AllAboutThe'O'
7/31/2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks Yanks for beating the Angels this weekend and giving us Ranger fans still a glimmer of hope of taking the AL West. When do you guys play Oakland? Would be nice if you could cool those guys off.

GDC
8/1/2005, 09:31 AM
Thanks Yanks for beating the Angels this weekend and giving us Ranger fans still a glimmer of hope of taking the AL West. When do you guys play Oakland? Would be nice if you could cool those guys off.

They go to Cleveland next.

OUthunder
8/1/2005, 04:55 PM
The Indians are our beeyitch.

GDC
8/2/2005, 09:44 PM
The Indians are our beeyitch.

Unfortunately not tonight, 3.5 games back now, need some pitchers to get well.

OUthunder
8/3/2005, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately not tonight, 3.5 games back now, need some pitchers to get well.

This season has been weird and I think that we will be lucky to get the Wildcard this year.

Herr Scholz
8/3/2005, 10:26 AM
This season has been weird and I think that we will be lucky to get the Wildcard this year.
I think your selling your team short now that Giambi's back on the juice. ;)

OUthunder
8/3/2005, 10:32 AM
I think your selling your team short now that Giambi's back on the juice. ;)

When you score five runs against the Indians and can't beat them, you know you have problems. Leiter, Brown, and Mussina are pretty much at the end of there careers & pretty much through as far as I'm concerned. Johnson hasn't been much better and I think that George needs to unload the whole damn core at season's end and start from scratch.

The drop off wouldn't be that significant either.

Giambi is the one bright spot in a very disappointing season.

OUthunder
8/4/2005, 08:37 AM
Mussina.

One of our biggest flop/signings ever. Never lived up to what he was in Baltimore.

GDC
8/4/2005, 12:53 PM
Mussina.

One of our biggest flop/signings ever. Never lived up to what he was in Baltimore.

He was rolling along until the fifth when the wheels came completely off.

OUthunder
8/4/2005, 02:00 PM
Mussina used to be able to at least beat teams like the Indians. Now he can't even do much against those guys.

Soonerborn03
8/4/2005, 04:05 PM
Mussina.

One of our biggest flop/signings ever. Never lived up to what he was in Baltimore.I disagree. With the exception of last season, he had done well for the Yankees and pitched about the same as he had done with the Orioles.

You got a really good year out of him in 2003, but last year he put up one of his worst so he's in between. But to say he's one of your biggest flop/signing ever is a big overstatement. Heard of Ed Whitson?

GDC
8/4/2005, 07:58 PM
Yanks up 2-0 in the fifth, shades of last night.

GDC
8/4/2005, 08:53 PM
A-Rod and Giambi homer in 9th, Yanks up 4-3, Mo should close it out.

OUthunder
8/5/2005, 11:07 AM
The Yanks have ZERO starting pitching. Even if we do make the playoffs, the Angels are our Daddy.

OUthunder
8/6/2005, 09:20 AM
THis Small kid is looking real good right now. Good job last night in some testy spots.

GDC
8/7/2005, 04:18 PM
THis Small kid is looking real good right now. Good job last night in some testy spots.

He's a thirty something kid who went nine years between major league starts. 2 of 3 in Toronto, but Boston won today also.

Paperclip
8/8/2005, 11:33 PM
A-Rod is so weak. That intentional interference thing tonight was pathetic.

GDC
8/9/2005, 07:44 AM
A-Rod is so weak. That intentional interference thing tonight was pathetic.

Yeah, that's a weak 32 homers, 90 rbi, and ~.315 ba :rolleyes:

Paperclip
8/9/2005, 12:46 PM
Yeah, that's a weak 32 homers, 90 rbi, and ~.315 ba :rolleyes:

I don't care if he has 50 homers. He still does weak things on the field like swatting at players gloves like a little girl and hip checking a for sure double play ball.

GDC
8/9/2005, 04:06 PM
I don't care if he has 50 homers. He still does weak things on the field like swatting at players gloves like a little girl and hip checking a for sure double play ball.

Weak wouldn't be the word I would use, how about "competitive"?

Paperclip
8/9/2005, 04:08 PM
Weak wouldn't be the word I would use, how about "competitive"?

Ok, I'll just call Rafael Palmeiro "competitive".

GDC
8/9/2005, 07:22 PM

Reggie Jackson did something similar in a World Series game, I believe, does that make him weak too? Also, it's difficult to equate steroid cheating with A-Rod's aggresive play on the field, at least in my mind.

Paperclip
8/9/2005, 09:03 PM
It's still cheating.

GrapevineSooner
8/10/2005, 01:31 AM
To paraphrase Curt Schilling...

Do you think Jeter (aka, Captain Intangibles) would resort to that?

GDC
8/10/2005, 08:06 AM
It's still cheating.

No way are you getting the last word on this. Aggressive play should be condoned and supported, not ridiculed. When you're the highest paid player you have to be prepared to be a lightning rod for criticism, he seems to be handling it pretty well.

Herr Scholz
8/10/2005, 09:50 AM
A Rod is a chump. He's not a real Yankee. Jeter would never pull some of the crap he does.

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/AR_hh_10.19.jpg.jpg

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/arodschool1.jpg

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/cobrakai1.jpg

GDC
8/10/2005, 09:55 AM
A Rod is a chump. He's not a real Yankee. Jeter would never pull some of the crap he does.

How do you define a "real Yankee"? Do you have to have been drafted by them and/or come up through their farm system?

Herr Scholz
8/10/2005, 10:04 AM
How do you define a "real Yankee"? Do you have to have been drafted by them and/or come up through their farm system?
The Yankees have a proud history. A 'Real Yankee' in my book is a player who respects the game, his team's proud history and plays with class (and also gives the other team respect). Plays all out but not in a cheating fashion. Jeter is a perfect example - diving into the stands or head first slides into 3rd base at the detriment of his own health. Some of the stuff Payrod does is weak sauce, including his play on the field and his punk mouth (BTW I think Schilling is a punk too).

Paperclip
8/10/2005, 10:34 AM
Aggressive play should be condoned and supported, not ridiculed.

I agree. Slapping like a girl and intentionally obstructing a potential double play ball are not aggressive. If he wants to slide hard into 2nd to break up a double play, fine, that's aggressive. Letting a thrown ball hit you is weak.

Ike
8/10/2005, 12:52 PM
The Yankees have a proud history. A 'Real Yankee' in my book is a player who respects the game, his team's proud history and plays with class (and also gives the other team respect). Plays all out but not in a cheating fashion. Jeter is a perfect example - diving into the stands or head first slides into 3rd base at the detriment of his own health. Some of the stuff Payrod does is weak sauce, including his play on the field and his punk mouth (BTW I think Schilling is a punk too).

then lets play "guess the real yankee" that said this:

"I never threw the spitter, well maybe once or twice when I really needed to get a guy out real bad."

GDC
8/10/2005, 01:31 PM
then lets play "guess the real yankee" that said this:

Whitey Ford?

Ike
8/10/2005, 01:35 PM
Whitey Ford?
correct. I could carry this kind of thing on for days and days if I so desired.

while Im not a huge fan of A-Rod, I respect the win at all costs mentality, even if he does some stupid things in that regard. sometimes you get caught, sometimes you dont, but if you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin.

GDC
8/10/2005, 02:53 PM
correct. I could carry this kind of thing on for days and days if I so desired.

while Im not a huge fan of A-Rod, I respect the win at all costs mentality, even if he does some stupid things in that regard. sometimes you get caught, sometimes you dont, but if you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin.

Paging Herr and Paperclip...

Paperclip
8/10/2005, 02:57 PM
yes?

GDC
8/10/2005, 03:04 PM
yes?

No retort? I guess Ike pretty much wrapped this up then.

Paperclip
8/10/2005, 03:06 PM
If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin'? That's what you're hanging your hat on?

GDC
8/10/2005, 03:39 PM
If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin'? That's what you're hanging your hat on?

That's the way baseball's always supposed to have been played.

Herr Scholz
8/10/2005, 03:41 PM
Payrod's still a punk and I don't respect him. "I bet nobody else was up like me at 6 in the morning running stairs..." As if major league baseball players don't know how to stay in shape. Just him. :rolleyes: My favorite moment of last season was when Varitek gave him a face full of catcher's mit.

GDC
8/10/2005, 03:43 PM
Payrod's still a punk and I don't respect him. "I bet nobody else was up like me at 6 in the morning running stairs..." As if major league baseball players don't know how to stay in shape. Just him. :rolleyes: My favorite moment of last season was when Varitek gave him a face full of catcher's mit.

Yeah, it showed Varitek is not afraid to go after someone with catcher's gear on to protect him :rolleyes:

Paperclip
8/10/2005, 03:45 PM
That's the way baseball's always supposed to have been played.

Oh. Well heck, keep corking that bat Sammy. Roid on up Raffy. You're just tryin'.

Herr Scholz
8/10/2005, 03:46 PM
Yeah, it showed Varitek is not afraid to go after someone with catcher's gear on to protect him :rolleyes:
Owned. :D

http://graphics.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/arodandtek.jpg

Sooner04
8/10/2005, 03:48 PM
Win at all costs mentality? If he believed in that he'd restructure his contract and help the Yankees get some legitimate starting pitching to the Bronx.

Giving starts to two Padre castaways, Redding and May, isn't going to help the Yankees get into the playoffs.

I think A-Rod is an outstanding player, certainly one of the best of my generation. At his very soul, though, I still think he's all about A-Rod and not about the team. Jeter'd give both of his nuts if it brought the Yankees another title.

GDC
8/10/2005, 03:53 PM
Win at all costs mentality? If he believed in that he'd restructure his contract and help the Yankees get some legitimate starting pitching to the Bronx.

Giving starts to two Padre castaways, Redding and May, isn't going to help the Yankees get into the playoffs.

I think A-Rod is an outstanding player, certainly one of the best of my generation. At his very soul, though, I still think he's all about A-Rod and not about the team. Jeter'd give both of his nuts if it brought the Yankees another title.

His contract isn't causing the injuries to Pavano's and Wright's shoulders, and Johnson's and Brown's backs. Redding and May aren't needed, they're getting solid starting pitching from Small, Chacon, and occasionally Leiter.

Sooner04
8/10/2005, 04:02 PM
His contract isn't causing the injuries to Pavano's and Wright's shoulders, and Johnson's and Brown's backs. Redding and May aren't needed, they're getting solid starting pitching from Small, Chacon, and occasionally Leiter.
Well, here's what I thought at the beginning of the season. No joke.

Pavano: One-year wonder who was playing for a contract. See Adrian Beltre

Wright: Complete and total disaster. Nobody on Earth gets the four inches outside of the plate besides Leo Mazzone. Once he leaves Atlanta, he's in trouble.

Johnson: Awesome, but not as awesome as the Yankees need.

Brown: Ticking time bomb.

Mussina: Mr. Reliable. A very good pitcher who's never gotten as much credit as he truly deserved.

Chacon "might" be good. Leiter refuses to throw strikes and once AL teams get accustomed to him he'll be at 90 pitches through four innings just like he was with Florida. Small, well, I don't know enough about him.

If this were 1996, A.J. Burnett would be in pinstripes. As it is, not even the Boss could swing that deal because the payroll is too high. They would've gladly taken on Lowell for a chance to put Burnett on the hill every fifth day.

TopDawg
8/10/2005, 05:00 PM
Is it cheating in football to take the ball away from someone at the bottom of a fumble pile?

GDC
8/10/2005, 08:41 PM
Is it cheating in football to take the ball away from someone at the bottom of a fumble pile?

Or for the defense to yell out to try to confuse the snap count? In baseball, how about stealing signs? Or recently when Randy Johnson realized he was tipping his slider because his glove was a bit wider when he gripped the ball for that pitch? Were opposing hitters not supposed to take advantage of this?

GDC
8/10/2005, 08:44 PM
Well, here's what I thought at the beginning of the season. No joke.

Pavano: One-year wonder who was playing for a contract. See Adrian Beltre

Wright: Complete and total disaster. Nobody on Earth gets the four inches outside of the plate besides Leo Mazzone. Once he leaves Atlanta, he's in trouble.

Johnson: Awesome, but not as awesome as the Yankees need.

Brown: Ticking time bomb.

Mussina: Mr. Reliable. A very good pitcher who's never gotten as much credit as he truly deserved.

Chacon "might" be good. Leiter refuses to throw strikes and once AL teams get accustomed to him he'll be at 90 pitches through four innings just like he was with Florida. Small, well, I don't know enough about him.

If this were 1996, A.J. Burnett would be in pinstripes. As it is, not even the Boss could swing that deal because the payroll is too high. They would've gladly taken on Lowell for a chance to put Burnett on the hill every fifth day.

I agree on every point except Pavano, I am reserving judgement on him. They said today his rotator cuff is shot, six weeks rest followed by rehab, stick a fork in him for this season.

Paperclip
8/10/2005, 09:28 PM
Or for the defense to yell out to try to confuse the snap count?
Yeah, I think you can get a delay of game for that.

In baseball, how about stealing signs? Or recently when Randy Johnson realized he was tipping his slider because his glove was a bit wider when he gripped the ball for that pitch? Were opposing hitters not supposed to take advantage of this?

Those things aren't against the rules. Interference is. That's why you get called out if you get caught.

Sooner04
8/10/2005, 10:12 PM
Stealing signs is something you do at your own risk. Get caught, and there's some cheese heading towards your skull next time you come to the plate.

If you're dumb enough to tip your pitches, like Doc Gooden in the '88 NLCS, then you deserve to get shelled.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it against the rules for the defense to mimic the snap count?

TopDawg
8/11/2005, 10:07 AM
Those things aren't against the rules. Interference is. That's why you get called out if you get caught.

So is everything that's against the rules cheating or weak?

Herr Scholz
8/11/2005, 10:09 AM
I know one other thing that was completely weak, that Yankee kid fan who reached over the outfield wall a few years ago and the umps gave the Yankees the HR. Helped them to win the WS.

gdc, do you condone this?

TopDawg
8/11/2005, 10:15 AM
I know one other thing that was completely weak, that Yankee kid fan who reached over the outfield wall a few years ago and the umps gave the Yankees the HR. Helped them to win the WS.

gdc, do you condone this?

That's on the umpires. That's like saying the KC Royals are weak for winning the 1985 World Series on a blown call.

Herr Scholz
8/11/2005, 10:20 AM
That's on the umpires. That's like saying the KC Royals are weak for winning the 1985 World Series on a blown call.
I know. That still sticks in my craw though. ;) The $205M payroll Yankees are the last team that needs a break.

TopDawg
8/11/2005, 10:24 AM
You know what's weak? Crying about something the Yankees do when stuff just like it or worse happens all the time.

Some of you say sliding in to 2nd base hard is fine, but you can end someone's career by doing that. If A-Rod had done that, you'd probably get onto him for it too. No, he just slapped at an opponent's glove. Sure, it was a girly slap, but he was trying to be discreet. He's trying to win the game and that was the only option he had at the time. I'm pretty sure that if he'd done nothing and just been tagged out, you same people would be bagging on him for not giving 100%.

I didn't see the interference thing, but from what it sounds like, he interfered with a throw from 2nd to 1st on a potential double play. Hell, if the fielder throws the ball close enough to you that you CAN knock it away by letting it hit you or bumping it, then why not? The worst that happens is you get called out anyway. Sports are full of people breaking the rules to try to get an advantage. Is every instance of that considered "weak" or "cheating?" In this case A-Rod had two choices, avoid the throw and let the ball be caught for the out or try to discreetly break the rules and possibly get a freebie. Either way, the worst that happens (rule-wise) is an out.

TopDawg
8/11/2005, 10:25 AM
I know. That still sticks in my craw though. ;) The $205M payroll Yankees are the last team that needs a break.

Heh, I wonder what the payroll of those '85 Royals was.

Paperclip
8/11/2005, 11:59 AM
It was actually a throw from right field to first after a caught fly. A-Rod was rounding first and was standing in the infield when he hip checked the throw preventing the runner heading back to first from being doubled up.
I was also upset a week or so ago when Sosa slid into home with his cleats in the air when he was going to be out by several feet.
A-Rod is an incredible ball player. He should be above the petty stuff, but he's not.

TopDawg
8/11/2005, 12:04 PM
Well, maybe that's a little weak. :D

I still don't think the glove slap was weak. I mean, the actual slap may've been weak, but I don't think it's a weak thing to do.

GrapevineSooner
8/11/2005, 12:30 PM
The slap wasn't physically weak. I mean, he knocked the ball out of Arroyo's glove and sent it down the first base line for Cripes Sake. ;)

But I do feel compelled to point out on that infamous play in Game 6 last October that if A-Rod would have simply allowed Arroyo to tag him or even lowered his shoulder as if he were diving for first, Jeter would have advanced to second with two outs with Sheffield coming up.

As it were, because A-Rod had to slap the ball out of Arroyo's glove, Jeter was forced to return to first. Now I realize this whole situation was rendered moot when Sheffield popped out to Varitek to end the inning.

But for the sake of argument, how would you as a Yankees fan have felt if Sheffield singled to put runners on the corners only to have Matsui end the inning with an out knowing that if A-Rod would have simply allowed Arroyo to tag him that in all likliehood, Sheffield's single would have brought Jeter home to make a 4-3 game at that point?

Wouldn't you at least be ragging on A-Rod for the play?

GDC
8/11/2005, 12:51 PM
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCI/is_2_64/ai_n12415302

TopDawg
8/11/2005, 01:09 PM
The slap wasn't physically weak. I mean, he knocked the ball out of Arroyo's glove and sent it down the first base line for Cripes Sake. ;)

That just proves that Arroyo is a weenie. But you can tell that just by looking at him. ;)

GDC
8/11/2005, 01:58 PM
That just proves that Arroyo is a weenie. But you can tell that just by looking at him. ;)

http://www.singaporesoxfan.com/photos/bronsonguitar.jpg

Herr Scholz
8/11/2005, 01:59 PM
Is there one with him wearing this? ;)

http://bornintoit.com/images/2005_humor/red_sox_series_ring.jpg

Scott D
8/11/2005, 02:07 PM
Don't forget how Sheff is the true leader, but unwilling to run full speed to first to beat out a bad throw ;)

I do agree with the other statement though, if A-Rod was such a team oriented guy and doing whatever it'd take to win, he'd have gone to Steinbrenner and Cashman offering to restructure his contract so that the team could afford better pitching.

TopDawg
8/11/2005, 02:16 PM
Is there one with him wearing this? ;)

http://bornintoit.com/images/2005_humor/red_sox_series_ring.jpg

No, it hurts his finger.

TopDawg
8/11/2005, 02:17 PM
I do agree with the other statement though, if A-Rod was such a team oriented guy and doing whatever it'd take to win, he'd have gone to Steinbrenner and Cashman offering to restructure his contract so that the team could afford better pitching.

This same kinda thing could be said about almost any MLB star.

GDC
8/11/2005, 02:28 PM
No, it hurts his finger.

Probably not as much as Jeter's four rings would hurt if he wore them all at the same time.

OUthunder
8/11/2005, 02:39 PM
The Yanks are finished & Moyer is a widdle bitch.

Herr Scholz
8/11/2005, 03:01 PM
Probably not as much as Jeter's four rings would hurt if he wore them all at the same time.
What about Payrod's rings? Oh wait...

Paperclip
8/11/2005, 03:18 PM
Why does a team get better after he leaves?

Scott D
8/11/2005, 03:54 PM
This same kinda thing could be said about almost any MLB star.

true..however the two contracts that absolutely positively should be restructured completely are A-Rod and Manny.

If A-Rod took an NHL type 24% rollback on his salary to drop himself down to a mere $18 Million that's 7 Mil that the Yanks could have thrown at another old pitcher who is past his prime ;)

Beef
8/11/2005, 04:03 PM
I saw Switzer wearing all of his MNC and Super Bowl rings at the same time once. Damn funny.

TopDawg
8/11/2005, 04:05 PM
My brilliant idea is to create a "semi-pro" league of each sport. There is an individual, team and management "salary" cap. No athlete can make more than $500,000. No team can spend more than $X (depending on the sport and number of players). No coach, manager, owner or league administrator can make more than $Y (depending on the sport). Any thing an owner makes over and above Y goes to run the league and then the rest goes to charity.

I mean, c'mon, $500,000? I'd be in hog heaven if I got to play the sport of my choice even for a tenth of that.

OUthunder
8/11/2005, 04:05 PM
I saw Switzer wearing all of his MNC and Super Bowl rings at the same time once. Damn funny.

Was he wearing his fur coat too? :D

Beef
8/11/2005, 04:16 PM
Nah, but he was wiggling all of his fingers and making funny faces.

GDC
8/11/2005, 09:50 PM
9-8 over Rangers, middle relief sucks

GrapevineSooner
8/11/2005, 09:57 PM
For both teams.

That James Baldwin pickup was a real find for John Hart. :mad:

GDC
8/12/2005, 09:54 AM
For both teams.

That James Baldwin pickup was a real find for John Hart. :mad:

You know it's bad when Allan effing Embree is brought in.

Ike
8/12/2005, 10:43 AM
My brilliant idea is to create a "semi-pro" league of each sport. There is an individual, team and management "salary" cap. No athlete can make more than $500,000. No team can spend more than $X (depending on the sport and number of players). No coach, manager, owner or league administrator can make more than $Y (depending on the sport). Any thing an owner makes over and above Y goes to run the league and then the rest goes to charity.

I mean, c'mon, $500,000? I'd be in hog heaven if I got to play the sport of my choice even for a tenth of that.

Baseball already has this. its called the Northern League, the Frontier League, and any other of the handfulls of independent minor league baseball games. except for the charity stuff. they have rules like max age of players they can have (28 in the frontier league at least) max number of players of various 'classes' defined by years in baseball, and all other wacky roster rules. still, every indy game Ive ever gone to has been fun to watch.

TopDawg
8/12/2005, 10:58 AM
Baseball already has this. its called the Northern League, the Frontier League, and any other of the handfulls of independent minor league baseball games. except for the charity stuff. they have rules like max age of players they can have (28 in the frontier league at least) max number of players of various 'classes' defined by years in baseball, and all other wacky roster rules. still, every indy game Ive ever gone to has been fun to watch.

Yeah I had a buddy who played in one of those. But it's not lucrative enough. The salaries need to be a little higher...high enough that someone can still live an extremely comfortable lifestyle so that it's enticing enough for pro players to play while allowing us to look at the MLB players as greedy SOBs who care more about having 6 Benz's instead of 2 and giving to charity.

Ike
8/12/2005, 11:07 AM
Yeah I had a buddy who played in one of those. But it's not lucrative enough. The salaries need to be a little higher...high enough that someone can still live an extremely comfortable lifestyle so that it's enticing enough for pro players to play while allowing us to look at the MLB players as greedy SOBs who care more about having 6 Benz's instead of 2 and giving to charity.

are you trying to tell me that $600 a month isnt comfortable ;)

Scott D
8/12/2005, 08:34 PM

I'm more for a relegation system...that in my opinion is one thing that soccer worldwide has gotten right.

GDC
8/14/2005, 05:45 PM
http://www.umma.lsa.umich.edu/collections/brooms/images/large/s24203%20broom.jpg

OUthunder
8/14/2005, 05:58 PM
If I see one more Buick commercial I'm gonna puke!

mrowl
8/15/2005, 08:49 AM
http://www.umma.lsa.umich.edu/collections/brooms/images/large/s24203%20broom.jpg

the evil empire still won't make the playoffs.

GDC
8/15/2005, 09:48 AM

Doubt you're right about that. Boston and Oakland cannot both maintain their recent success for the rest of the season. The Yankees will slip past Oakland, and be the fourth wild card in a row to win the Series.

TopDawg
8/15/2005, 10:13 AM
I'm more for a relegation system...that in my opinion is one thing that soccer worldwide has gotten right.

I'm not familiar with what they do. Care to explain?

Sooner04
8/15/2005, 10:38 AM
The Yankees will slip past Oakland, and be the fourth wild card in a row to win the Series.
With the pitching stable in Oakland, you'll be slipping past Anaheim in the wild card, not the Athletics.

Those guys are unbelievable.

Herr Scholz
8/15/2005, 10:45 AM
The Yankees will make as much noise this year in the playoffs as my Cubs.

OUthunder
8/15/2005, 03:10 PM
The Yankees have zero pitching, little relief and R. Johnson is starting to show his age a bit.

No shot this year unless our prospects contribute fast and in a big way.

Ike
8/15/2005, 03:33 PM
The Yankees have zero pitching, little relief and R. Johnson is starting to show his age a bit.

No shot this year unless our prospects contribute fast and in a big way.

or unless Johnny Damon, Curt Schilling and Manny Ramirez all get hit by a bus. or suspended for roids. but thats just wishful thinking on my part.

Scott D
8/15/2005, 04:01 PM
I'm not familiar with what they do. Care to explain?

Ok..using the English system since I'm most familiar with it...there are 20 teams in the top division (Premier League). Every season, the bottom 3 teams get relegated down to First Division, and 3 teams from First Division join the Premier League. The relegation trickles down through the lower levels as well. The flaw in trying to maneuver MLB into that besides the Union is the amount of minor league teams that are affiliated with MLB franchises.

Basically it would be a way to instill fresh blood in MLB, and give a lot of cities a chance at least for a single season having a major league team.

GDC
8/15/2005, 08:17 PM

Wright is pitching tough so far tonight, he could be the difference.

GDC
8/15/2005, 09:05 PM
With the pitching stable in Oakland, you'll be slipping past Anaheim in the wild card, not the Athletics.

Yes, I agree about the A's pitching staff, but I don't think Boston or the A's can stay as hot for the rest of the season as they have been the last few weeks. The Yankees have been playing steady after being so streaky earlier in the season. I will amend my previous statement however, as I believe the Yankees will end up ahead of at least one of the teams mentioned and therefore be in the playoffs.

SapulpaSooner
8/15/2005, 09:18 PM
Tigers beat the Red Sox 7 to 6 Yankees now 3 and half games out of 1st place

Paperclip
8/15/2005, 11:21 PM
Tigers beat the Red Sox 7 to 6 Yankees now 3 and half games out of 1st place

Well Happy Birthday to me! Three in the 9th to get the win.

GDC
8/16/2005, 02:58 PM
Well Happy Birthday to me! Three in the 9th to get the win.

Thanks Tigers, and happy birthday, Paperclip. :)

SapulpaSooner
8/16/2005, 09:20 PM
Walk this way. Yankees lose to D-Rays 4 to 3 on a dam Walk. :mad:

GDC
8/16/2005, 09:26 PM
Walk this way. Yankees lose to D-Rays 4 to 3 on a dam Walk. :mad:

After Mo blows the save in the ninth. Wasted a good game by Randy Johnson.

GrapevineSooner
8/17/2005, 01:22 AM
That's Fruitbat's second blown save in a week.

And I use that term affectionately towards Mariano Rivera. ;)

Herr Scholz
8/17/2005, 09:37 AM
The mighty Yankees are 4-8 vs. Tampa Bay this year so far. Playoffs, here we come! ;)

GDC
8/18/2005, 07:46 AM
I am perpetually amused by "anti-fans" who seem to get their jollies more by rooting against certain teams as opposed to supporting their own. Smacks of some serious self-esteem issues, imo.

Sooner04
8/18/2005, 08:34 AM
I am perpetually amused by "anti-fans" who seem to get their jollies more by rooting against certain teams as opposed to supporting their own. Smacks of some serious self-esteem issues, imo.
Now, c'mon, gdc. You know I'd give away body parts for Padre victories, but you have to be on the other side of this fight to understand.

Red Sox fans don't have a dog in this fight, but people like me, fans of small market clubs with payrolls of around 60 million, can't help but be amused when the 200 million dollar Yankees lose nine of 13 to the vaunted Devil Rays.

Herr Scholz
8/18/2005, 09:23 AM
I'm as big a Cubs fan as a Longhorn fan. The two things I want to see before I die are a Cubs World Series championship and a Longhorn national football title. I just hate the Yankees as well. You can be a fan of one team and an anti-fan of another. The two things are not mutually exclusive. Screw the Yankees and their unfair advantages and their obnoxious bandwagon fans.

Herr Scholz
8/18/2005, 09:26 AM
gdc, if you want to talk about self esteem issues, people that jump on the Yankees bandwagon to make themselves feel better about themselves probably have more of these issues than lifelong fans of losing clubs, don't you think? Just sayin'.

GDC
8/18/2005, 09:41 AM
Cubs fans=loveable losers who are okay with it, like their team

Yankee fans=losers who aspire to better themselves by association with a winner

Is that what you're saying?

Also, don't throw the bandwagon **** at me whorn. I've been a Yankee and Sooner fan virtually since birth because of my father. I suffered through the 80's and into the 90's and watched my favorite player, Don Mattingly, never win a Series, and stuck with the Sooners through the 90's, so **** off.

Herr Scholz
8/18/2005, 09:59 AM
OK, you're a true blue Yankees fan. I accept that. Good for you.

The comment about anti-fans having self esteem issues is silly though. Are you telling me you never root against Texas even when it has nothing to do with your Sooners? Of course you do.

GDC
8/19/2005, 09:36 AM
OK, you're a true blue Yankees fan. I accept that. Good for you.

The comment about anti-fans having self esteem issues is silly though. Are you telling me you never root against Texas even when it has nothing to do with your Sooners? Of course you do.

I always root against Texas, and it always has to do with the Sooners because they are in the same conference.

Herr Scholz
8/19/2005, 09:39 AM
I always root against Texas, and it always has to do with the Sooners because they are in the same conference.
Uh huh. And before the Big XII was founded, you didn't root against Texas? :rolleyes: You weren't rooting against Texas in last year's Rose Bowl? Give it a break. You have teams you pull against just like everyone else, not because it helps your team but because you don't like those teams.

GDC
8/19/2005, 09:09 PM
Uh huh. And before the Big XII was founded, you didn't root against Texas? :rolleyes: You weren't rooting against Texas in last year's Rose Bowl? Give it a break. You have teams you pull against just like everyone else, not because it helps your team but because you don't like those teams.

Okay, I effing hate Texas for many reasons, you got me.

Moose is showing up the Cy Young winner tonight.

SapulpaSooner
8/19/2005, 10:46 PM
Yankees beat the White Sox's 3 to 1

SapulpaSooner
8/20/2005, 05:17 PM
Yankees beat the White Sox's 5 to 0. they can beat the White Sox's and the Red Sox's but they can not beat the D-Rays. ;)

GDC
8/22/2005, 07:38 AM

A win tonight ties the Yanks with Oakland for the wild card, I believe.

mrowl
8/22/2005, 08:42 AM
A win tonight ties the Yanks with Oakland for the wild card, I believe.

So, what does a loss do? :D

GDC
8/22/2005, 09:30 AM
So, what does a loss do? :D

You do the math. :mack:

GDC
8/22/2005, 02:01 PM
While my Sawx are no lock for the division, me thinks Cleveland is the team that threatens most for the wild card but then again they are quite erratic...nm

You can't be serious.

Herr Scholz
8/22/2005, 02:03 PM
John Kruk picked the Indians to win the AL Wild Card this weekend. Take that however you like... ;)

GDC
8/22/2005, 02:13 PM
John Kruk picked the Indians to win the AL Wild Card this weekend. Take that however you like... ;)

Yeah, their baseball experts are about as bad as their college football experts. Aren't they taking Texas over OU this year? :texan:

GDC
8/22/2005, 09:13 PM
Apparently Jaret Wright is healthy again.

Sooner04
8/22/2005, 09:24 PM
Apparently Jaret Wright is healthy again.
Physically or mentally?

;)

Salt City Sooner
8/23/2005, 12:14 AM
I was TOTALLY against swapping Lieber for him, but if he keeps throwing like tonight, I will gladly take the crow medium rare. He looked good.

GDC
8/24/2005, 09:49 AM
Great Yankee comeback last night.

GDC
8/25/2005, 08:39 PM
Chacon has proven to be a great pick-up.

Without Thunder and TD I'm beginning to feel like I am talking to myself in this thread.

GDC
8/25/2005, 08:52 PM
I'm here ready to take your smak about Schilling and the sawx

heh (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/boxscore?gid=250825107)

GDC
8/26/2005, 10:29 AM
What is ironic is the Yanks are winning more of the games Chacon, Leiter, and Small pitch than the ones Johnson and Mussina start.

GDC
8/28/2005, 04:26 PM
http://www.mashby.com/images/posts/broom.gifhttp://www.thegordonsworld.co.uk/PHOTO_IMAGES/LONDON/ROYAL_FAMILY.JPG

GDC
8/30/2005, 09:10 PM
first Embree, now this :confused: (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-bellhorn&prov=ap&type=lgns)

jdsooner
8/30/2005, 09:20 PM
Giambi is hot again! I love it!

Herr Scholz
8/31/2005, 09:52 AM
Giambi is hot again! I love it!
That serial cheater is on the juice again. You can tell by looking at him.

GDC
8/31/2005, 02:35 PM
That serial cheater is on the juice again. You can tell by looking at him.

Maybe he has a UT connection for supplements. :texan:

If I could make the money and get the caliber of *** those guys get, I'd take just about anything, actually.

GrapevineSooner
8/31/2005, 02:58 PM
first Embree, now this :confused: (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-bellhorn&prov=ap&type=lgns)
Cesar Crespo's next. ;)

GDC
8/31/2005, 03:00 PM
Cesar Crespo's next. ;)

Bring back Luis Tiant! :texan: :D

Herr Scholz
8/31/2005, 03:26 PM
Maybe he has a UT connection for supplements. :texan:

Caffeine?

GDC
9/1/2005, 07:45 AM
If Johnson keeps pitching like this the rest of the AL might as well pack it in.

GrapevineSooner
9/1/2005, 12:02 PM
If the Red Sox bats keep hitting like this, the rest of the AL might as well pack it in. ;)

GDC
9/1/2005, 12:19 PM
Good pitching will usually trump good hitting, especially in a short series. Your Beantown wankers better keep scoring like this because the pitching's in the toilet.

Herr Scholz
9/1/2005, 01:18 PM
If Johnson keeps pitching like this the rest of the AL might as well pack it in.
Didn't he give up 4 HRs in a single inning this year?

GDC
9/1/2005, 02:15 PM
Didn't he give up 4 HRs in a single inning this year?

Other than that he's been lights out the last few ballgames.

GDC
9/2/2005, 09:58 AM
Speaking of lights out...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050901/capt.watw10609012310.yankees_mariners_watw106.jpg

SapulpaSooner
9/5/2005, 04:38 PM
Yankees take 2 of 3 @ Oakland. now i hope they can take care of the D-rays :eek:

Salt City Sooner
9/6/2005, 12:35 PM
I never thought I'd have to hear myself say this considering who was on the opening day roster, but Shawn Chacon & Aaron Small have been absolute GODSENDS.

GDC
9/6/2005, 01:54 PM
I have no doubt the Yankees will be in the playoffs, the question is if it will be as a wildcard or AL East champ.

SapulpaSooner
9/6/2005, 09:30 PM
Dam the D-rays

GDC
9/7/2005, 07:51 AM
guh

SapulpaSooner
9/7/2005, 09:23 PM
Thank you Jason Giambi. Giambi hits a two run homer to beat the D-rays 5 to 4

GDC
9/9/2005, 09:07 PM
Yanks over Boston, but Cleveland keeps winning.

Salt City Sooner
9/9/2005, 11:39 PM
Somebody wanna give me the pre-season odds on Aaron Small being 7-0? :eek:

That relay throw by RotoRooter was freakin' hilarious as well.....

GDC
9/10/2005, 08:04 PM
Yanks got thrashed today :mad:

GrapevineSooner
9/10/2005, 10:43 PM
Why yes.

Yes they did. ;)

GDC
9/11/2005, 02:50 PM
Great pitching today, Unit outduels Wakefield 1-0.

Scott D
9/11/2005, 04:21 PM
Great pitching today, Unit outduels Wakefield 1-0.

outcripplefights maybe ;)

GDC
9/11/2005, 05:56 PM
outcripplefights maybe ;)

Probably more accurate, but did you know the knuckleball was once banned by baseball?

Scott D
9/11/2005, 08:58 PM
yeah about the time that the spitball was originally banned, no?

GDC
9/11/2005, 09:07 PM
yeah about the time that the spitball was originally banned, no?

I think so. They say a perfect knuckleball can only be hit by accident.

Scott D
9/11/2005, 09:15 PM
sounds about right, since a perfect knuckleball won't even cross the plate in the air.

SapulpaSooner
9/13/2005, 09:29 PM
Yankees beat the dam D-rays 17 to 3. :D :D :D

GDC
9/14/2005, 09:37 AM
Yankees beat the dam D-rays 17 to 3. :D :D :D

Cleveland came back although Boston lost, should be an interesting last three weeks.

SapulpaSooner
9/15/2005, 09:29 PM
Yankees take the D-rays MOJO. win 9 to 5 sweep the series 3 to 0. :cool:

http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/sound_sorting/initial_blends/sw/images/sweep.jpg

GDC
9/15/2005, 09:48 PM
Yankees take the D-rays MOJO. win 9 to 5 sweep the series 3 to 0. :cool:

http://www.rockingham.k12.va.us/sound_sorting/initial_blends/sw/images/sweep.jpg

and Boston is losing and Cleveland didn't play, looking good

OUthunder
9/16/2005, 09:02 AM
GO YANKS!

GrapevineSooner
9/16/2005, 11:03 AM
Down to 1 1/2 after last night's loss to Oakland. :mad:

I really would have liked to have seen us take 2 out of 3 at the Toilet last weekend.

Oh well. Looks like we've got a divisional race on our hands now.

Oh, and welcome back Thunder!! :D

OUthunder
9/16/2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks Grapevine. I think that the Yankees and Red Sox are so evenly matched that it's too close to call. I simply say, that if the Yanks would have even played the D-rays .500 this season, that we'd be in 1st place. When you can't beat that team more times than you lose to them ...then you honestly don't deserve to be in the Playoffs IMHO. The Indians are playing out of there minds right now and they have the upper hand with scheduling as far as the Wild Card race goes. They play a lot of average teams in the upcoming weeks, while the Yanks and Sox beat up on each other and have to play the rugged east teams that are all improved this year.

Should be fun this weekend if the Yanks can take 2/3.

GDC
9/18/2005, 09:31 PM
The balance is restored, Thunder is back.

OUthunder
9/19/2005, 08:24 AM
Thanks gdc. Out of all of the stuff on SF, I missed this forum the best. Friendly, usually respectful discussion, about the Yanks and the Sox no matter how you feel about the other team. It's nice to have a place where the personal attacks are kept to a minimum and the clique pretty much stays "south" of here. It's also nice to have a serious conversation without the inmaturity that you get elsewhere.

With that said, GO YANKS!

Sooner04
9/19/2005, 11:30 AM
Grapevine, what's the mood in Red Sox nation? Is the panic button being pushed right now at all by the Sons of Sam Horn?

You know, as much flak as the baseball purists gave MLB over the Wild Card being instituted in '94, it really has added a ton of drama to September. The baseball being played by Cleveland right now reminds me of the great AL West pennant race of 2002 between Oakland, Anaheim and Seattle. Just great baseball being played every night.

It's really fun to watch and keep track, especially since the NL Wild Card is also very tight.

OUthunder
9/19/2005, 10:00 PM
Sox lead is now only 1/2 game with the Yanks win over Baltimore and the D-rays win over the Sox.

GDC
9/20/2005, 07:45 AM
Sox lead is now only 1/2 game with the Yanks win over Baltimore and the D-rays win over the Sox.

Yeah, eff the wild card, except for Ortiz the Sox are rolling over like the little bitches they'd always been until last year.

OUthunder
9/20/2005, 04:23 PM
Yeah, eff the wild card, except for Ortiz the Sox are rolling over like the little bitches they'd always been until last year.

Heh! The Twins were dumb for letting him go.

GrapevineSooner
9/21/2005, 12:05 PM
Grapevine, what's the mood in Red Sox nation? Is the panic button being pushed right now at all by the Sons of Sam Horn?
If you consider adopting the motto of 'Win or Else' the equivalent of pushing the panic button, well...it's been pushed.

I honestly think the AL East race comes down to that final series at Fenway where both teams split the first two games and the Red Sox overcome a 3 run deficit against Mariano Rivera in the ninth to win it on Tony Graffanino's home run. :D

GDC
9/21/2005, 12:25 PM
If you consider adopting the motto of 'Win or Else' the equivalent of pushing the panic button, well...it's been pushed.

I honestly think the AL East race comes down to that final series at Fenway where both teams split the first two games and the Red Sox overcome a 3 run deficit against Mariano Rivera in the ninth to win it on Tony Graffanino's home run. :D

pfft, they've used their quota of championships and comebacks against Mo for the next 300 years or so

and, no way does Ortiz deserve the mvp over Arod

Ike
9/21/2005, 01:58 PM

or, even more fun, it comes down to a one game playoff at yankee stadium, where Curt Schilling finally has the complete and utter meltdown thats been brewing for some time. :D

OUthunder
9/21/2005, 05:30 PM
pfft, they've used their quota of championships and comebacks against Mo for the next 300 years or so

ROTFLMFAO!

Screw the wild card man.
:D

Scott D
9/21/2005, 05:48 PM

That's like saying that Andruw Jones doesn't deserve it over Derek Lee.

GDC
9/21/2005, 07:53 PM
That's like saying that Andruw Jones doesn't deserve it over Derek Lee.

A-Rod has an average 20-30 points higher, and as many home runs, and oh yeah, he actually plays defense.

OUthunder
9/21/2005, 08:38 PM
A-Rod has an average 20-30 points higher, and as many home runs, and oh yeah, he actually plays defense.

Exactamundo! Ortiz is a hazard on defense plus he ways about 300 pounds and wouldn't last an entire season if he actually had to play defense. As a matter of fact, they probably have an oxygen take for him in the clubhouse after he takes his homerun trot.

GDC
9/21/2005, 09:09 PM
Yanks in first!

trwxxa
9/21/2005, 09:59 PM
This is so sweet. I love how the ESPN News breaking story is Red Sox fall to 2nd instead of Yankees climb into first. I would like to watch the meltdown on SportsCenter, but I do not watch it anymore.

Big papi my butt!

GrapevineSooner
9/22/2005, 01:59 AM
Silly Yankee fans.

Didn't last October teach you guys not to celebrate too early? ;)

elvis_minor
9/22/2005, 02:35 AM
Silly Yankee fans.

Didn't last October teach you guys not to celebrate too early? ;)

Maybe... but last CENTURY taught us that even though there may be an occasional bump in the road (ie the sun shining on that dog's posterior of a team in Boston last year)... that the Yankees will always find their way back to the promised land.

GDC
9/22/2005, 07:56 AM
Aahh, it was nice to open the paper this morning and read about the Yankees' magic number and see Boston in the wild card standings. :)

OUthunder
9/22/2005, 08:17 AM
I see that I can officially refer to the Red Sox as the Red Sux again. Feels good if only for a day.

GDC
9/22/2005, 08:10 PM
I see that I can officially refer to the Red Sox as the Red Sux again. Feels good if only for a day.

At least two days, Yanks about to go up a full game :D

OUthunder
9/23/2005, 07:54 AM
One is the lonliest number.

GDC
9/23/2005, 07:56 AM
It's going to be hilarious if the Red Sux end up not even making the playoffs.

OUthunder
9/23/2005, 08:54 AM
That would be funny.

They had a nice run.

OUthunder
9/24/2005, 07:56 AM
SEE YA!

mrowl
9/24/2005, 01:30 PM
uh-oh.... :D

mrowl
9/24/2005, 03:25 PM
Uh-Oh! You guys better hope Boston puts up an L tonight... :D

SapulpaSooner
9/25/2005, 04:00 PM
Yankees beat the Blue Jays 8 to 4 and Red Sox beat the Orioles 9 to 3. Yankees and Red Sox Tied for 1st at 91 and 64

OUthunder
9/25/2005, 04:17 PM
The Yanks are on the road the rest of the year while the Sux are at home.

Advantage: Sux

GDC
9/25/2005, 05:27 PM
The Yanks are on the road the rest of the year while the Sux are at home.

Advantage: Sux

Boston Sucks

Advantage: Yanks

OUthunder
9/25/2005, 06:12 PM
Heh

GDC
9/25/2005, 08:25 PM
This will be a fun week if you like baseball.

GrapevineSooner
9/26/2005, 11:19 AM
Toronto has given the Sox fits this season while Baltimore...

Well, it's clear they're just playing out the string now.

GDC
9/26/2005, 11:26 AM
Toronto has given the Sox fits this season while Baltimore...

Well, it's clear they're just playing out the string now.

Their season went to ****.

I almost feel sorry for the White Sox.

OUthunder
9/26/2005, 01:31 PM
Their season went to ****.

I almost feel sorry for the White Sox.

Frank Thomas is still on the Sox roster so I can't feel a bit sorry for them. It's quite enjoyable actually.

Salt City Sooner
9/27/2005, 12:13 AM
It was a long wait, but the Yanks posted a 11-3 win tonight. 6 shutout innings from Unit, & Giambi went deep. About the only thing negative was that Embree looked like crud (allowed all 3 runs in the 9th), but it's been happening so much I'm getting used to it.

GDC
9/27/2005, 07:48 AM
It was a long wait, but the Yanks posted a 11-3 win tonight. 6 shutout innings from Unit, & Giambi went deep. About the only thing negative was that Embree looked like crud (allowed all 3 runs in the 9th), but it's been happening so much I'm getting used to it.

I still can't believe they ever even picked up that POS Embree, he has always sucked.

OUthunder
9/27/2005, 10:14 AM
I still can't believe they ever even picked up that POS Embree, he has always sucked.

except when he pitched against the Yanks. I say we use him wehn we're getting drilled like 11-0 in the 4th inning or something.

Salt City Sooner
9/27/2005, 01:44 PM
He frustrates me almost as bad as Contreras did. Their stuff is NOT in question whatsoever (just look at the year Jose's having in Chicago), but they just couldn't/can't put it together in New York. Oh well, the Curse of Whitson ain't dead yet I guess..... :(

OUthunder
9/27/2005, 02:43 PM
Sux-3
Jays-1

F

GrapevineSooner
9/27/2005, 09:59 PM
Sox lose to Toronto.

Yankees will trail by at least four when they come up for the 9th.

OUthunder
9/28/2005, 08:26 AM
I hope that Mussina is in the final year of his contract. He has been a flop!

OUthunder
9/28/2005, 09:21 PM
One game lead for the Yanks!

OUthunder
9/28/2005, 09:32 PM
We should pick up the entire Jays starting rotation before the playoffs!

GDC
9/28/2005, 09:46 PM
looking good

Salt City Sooner
9/28/2005, 10:54 PM
& Chacon comes through again. 4 hits & 1 run over 6 & two-thirds. That guy has been abosolute NAILS.

elvis_minor
9/29/2005, 01:09 AM
Chacon, Small, and Wang have saved the Yankees bacon on the mound this year. Maybe Cashman will quit overpaying aging superstars and try to develop some of this young talent for a change.

... heh... I said Small Wang

GDC
9/29/2005, 07:40 AM
& Chacon comes through again. 4 hits & 1 run over 6 & two-thirds. That guy has been abosolute NAILS.

Remember he was pitching for the Rockies, no pitcher looks good at Coors field.

OUthunder
9/29/2005, 07:58 AM
Remember he was pitching for the Rockies, no pitcher looks good at Coors field.

excellent point.

Salt City Sooner
9/29/2005, 10:49 AM
It still blows my mind to think that Hideo Nomo threw a no-no at that place.

GrapevineSooner
9/29/2005, 04:39 PM
You guys are in trouble now.

We just picked up Mike Stanton (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2005/09/red_sox_add_sta.html).

GDC
9/29/2005, 06:45 PM
You guys are in trouble now.

We just picked up Mike Stanton (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2005/09/red_sox_add_sta.html).

speaking of POS lefty set-up men...

tulsaoilerfan
9/29/2005, 08:27 PM
Chacon, Small, and Wang have saved the Yankees bacon on the mound this year. Maybe Cashman will quit overpaying aging superstars and try to develop some of this young talent for a change.

... heh... I said Small Wang
Chacon was a trade from the NL; I think Small was some sort of waiver pick-up, and not sure where Wang came from, but those 3 have outperformed all the big names except for Johnson.

GDC
9/29/2005, 08:30 PM
Chacon was a trade from the NL; I think Small was some sort of waiver pick-up, and not sure where Wang came from, but those 3 have outperformed all the big names except for Johnson.

Wang is a Yankee farm product I believe.

OUthunder
9/29/2005, 08:53 PM
yes.

GDC
9/29/2005, 09:09 PM
Yanks win but Boston's tied it up in the eighth.

BillyBall
9/29/2005, 09:41 PM
Boston wins... This weekend is going to be nuts. Especially since the White Sox might lay down considering they already wrapped up their division this afternoon. The Tribe might get a few cheap wins and sneak in the backdoor. NTTAWWT....

Salt City Sooner
9/29/2005, 10:42 PM
I bet you're not sure because he actually came up through this novel concept (at least in N.Y., lol) called a FARM SYSTEM. :D As for Small, they called him up from Columbus, but before that he was a journeyman if there ever was one. He signed as a free agent.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/smallaa01.shtml

elvis_minor
9/29/2005, 11:16 PM
Wang is a Yankee farm product I believe.

I definitely do NOT want to visit the farm where they produce Wang. ;)

And, at least regarding Aaron Small... I believe I misspoke about YOUNG talent. I think I read he was 33 and had been up and down for a bunch of different teams over the last 8 years...

Still... it would be nice to see our farm system used as something more than a "trade-bait development system."