PDA

View Full Version : Chris Walker inks with OU

Rhino
5/2/2005, 10:12 AM
Chris Walker
Point Guard
6-3, 185
San Joaquin Delta College (Stockton, CA)

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/21/219940.jpghttp://webzoom.freewebs.com/markgodi/arc1.jpg

GDC
5/2/2005, 12:46 PM
Is this a good thing? Isn't he like plan d or plan e?

Enrico Palazo
5/2/2005, 12:58 PM
enrico believes kelvin has had success in the past with cornrowed point guards.

enrico believes it is the cornrowed frontcourters that give kelvin trouble.

Rhino
5/2/2005, 02:12 PM
Good passer, not a good shooter.

Basically, a Kelvin point guard.

GDC
5/2/2005, 03:59 PM
Good passer, not a good shooter.

Basically, a Kelvin point guard.

Thanks for the timely posts, Rhino. I'm not finding much info on this guy.

The choice of a lifetime: basketball over football
Early on Chris Walker had to make a choice in high school and it was the right one; he's now the star point guard for the Delta Mustangs
By Filippo Goodman
Published: Friday, March 4, 2005
Article Tools:Email This ArticlePrint This Article Page 1 of 2Next Page

Chris Walker stands six foot three inches and is ready for Delta to get past SFCC and on to San Diego for the State Tournament, March 10-13.
Media Credit: Karyn Gilbert
Chris Walker stands six foot three inches and is ready for Delta to get past SFCC and on to San Diego for the State Tournament, March 10-13.

As a teenager in high school, young Chris Walker wrestled with a mandate handed down by his mother that created a fork in the road for the young man. Feeling as though her son was being stretched too thin, Ms. Walker wanted her son to choose between playing organized basketball or football.

"It was a tough decision at the time, but I'd like to think that I made the right choice," said Walker.

He probably wouldn't be alone in that opinion. After all, being a star point guard is all about making the right decision.

If Walker had chosen a different route on that motherly created intersection, perhaps Gary Barlow would be reaping the benefits from Walker's ability and not head basketball coach Brian Katz.

As things currently stand Walker is the starting point guard for the Mustangs, manning a 28-1 ship that sees destiny on the horizon in the form of a state championship.

"We take every game at a time, but we really feel confident about our chances to compete for a state championship and ultimately win it," said Walker.

Walker oozes an unaffected quiet confidence which has translated onto the basketball court. Part of the job description of a point guard is to assume the role as a leader, and in many ways become an on-the-court extension of the head coach. Talent is one thing, but grasping the intangibles leads to swelling in the win column.

"Every decision he makes has a team-first goal," said Katz. Not only is he a great player, but he does the little things that often don't show up in the box score. He is exceptional when it comes to understanding the team concept."

A league championship, and a second seed in the Northern California playoffs was probably the furthest thing from the Mustangs' mind after Diablo Valley provided a reality check, when they beat the Mustangs in the first game of the season. A loss like that could have easily sent the season spiraling- the Mustangs' resolve and Walker's leadership was given an early season pop quiz.

"Unquestionably that loss was the low point of the season," said Walker. "I'm a competitor along with the rest of my teammates. We put winning above everything else, so as a team we knew we had to regroup and refocus ourselves." Continued...

http://www.theimpactonline.com/main.cfm?include=subApplication&subApplicationName=quickRegister&fuse=registrationOrLoginRequired&thereferer=http%3A//www.theimpactonline.com/news/2005/03/04/Sports/The-Choice.Of.A.Lifetime.Basketball.Over.Football-887683.shtml

King Crimson
5/2/2005, 07:37 PM
gdc: there's more info on Walker on the first couple-three pages at OUinsider.com's Lloyd Noble forum.

GDC
5/2/2005, 08:20 PM
gdc: there's more info on Walker on the first couple-three pages at OUinsider.com's Lloyd Noble forum.

thanks

King Crimson
5/2/2005, 08:24 PM
Is this a good thing? Isn't he like plan d or plan e?

i think plan c is accurate. FWIW.

Big Red Ron
5/3/2005, 11:42 AM
Welcome Chris, now get a hair cut!

kelloggOUballa
5/3/2005, 08:15 PM
haha im lovin the hair

TopDawg
5/12/2005, 03:54 PM
I'd prefer seeing this thread in the "last post" section instead of the "Jammal Brown drops OU..." thread.

Jimminy Crimson
5/13/2005, 03:25 PM
He's such a supa.star, they've already named a dorm for him! OMG!!!!!!11!!!