PDA

View Full Version : David Blaine

Widescreen
4/27/2005, 05:08 PM
That dude is a freak. He does some pretty amazing stuff. I caught the last several minutes of one of his street performance shows last night.

Soonerbabeinbama
4/27/2005, 05:23 PM
David Blaine is fantastic. Probably one of the best magicians ever

proud gonzo
4/27/2005, 06:45 PM
SBiB's a Blaintologist! :eek:

sooner_born_1960
4/27/2005, 06:51 PM
Whew! Thank God you were referring to the magician. I was thinking of the other David Blaine.

RedRum
4/27/2005, 08:03 PM
That guy does some of the most incredible card tricks i've ever seen. I think he's from Hell. :)

Soonerbabeinbama
4/27/2005, 08:07 PM
That guy does some of the most incredible card tricks i've ever seen. I think he's from Hell. :)

Have you ever seen him levitate? Very freaky.......... :eek:

RedRum
4/27/2005, 08:12 PM
Have you ever seen him levitate? Very freaky.......... :eek:

Yeah, that was off the hook. The one that got me, was when he threw the deck of cards against the window and the dude's card was stuck on THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GLASS!!!!
I need a old priest and a young priest.

JohnnyMack
4/27/2005, 08:15 PM
Yeah, that was off the hook. The one that got me, was when he threw the deck of cards against the window and the dude's card was stuck on THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GLASS!!!!

Still to this day can't figure that one out.

Trips my **** out every time!

And mad 'spek for the Exorcist reference.

Rhino
4/27/2005, 08:16 PM
AntiChrist.

Soonerbabeinbama
4/27/2005, 08:16 PM

Or when his card turned up in the policeman's shoe!! I believe I have found another "Blaintologist" - do you think we should to to a pm RR? :D

bri
4/27/2005, 08:26 PM
Did he eat his own head?

StoopTroup
4/27/2005, 08:42 PM
I liked the one were he evidently steals this girls watch and then reveals it to her in a store front window. He gets you thinking that he could have easily handed it off to someone to put in the window and then....he does the newpaper thing on the glass and reachs through the glass and brings her watch out then pulls the paper away and taps on the store front glass and it's untouched.

I have no idea how he staged that one...

Boggles the mind...

BeetDigger
4/27/2005, 09:34 PM
I hate magicians. No, I hate magic, or shall I say, ILLUSIONS. Take a whole bunch of time, a lot of money and a bunch of craftmanship to make it look like you can defy physics and logic. If they can really defy and/or alter physics, then I wish they would all spend their time and energy on developing a nuclear fusion reactor that can solve all of the worlds energy problems. Now that would be something that I would applaud.

Soonerbabeinbama
4/27/2005, 09:43 PM
I hate magicians. No, I hate magic, or shall I say, ILLUSIONS. Take a whole bunch of time, a lot of money and a bunch of craftmanship to make it look like you can defy physics and logic. If they can really defy and/or alter physics, then I wish they would all spend their time and energy on developing a nuclear fusion reactor that can solve all of the worlds energy problems. Now that would be something that I would applaud.

Did your mama dress you funny when you were little?

BeetDigger
4/27/2005, 10:06 PM
Did your mama dress you funny when you were little?

Yes, but what does that have to do with it? :D

Czar Soonerov
4/27/2005, 11:28 PM
Eh, he's a hack.

proud gonzo
4/27/2005, 11:29 PM
Or when his card turned up in the policeman's shoe!! I believe I have found another "Blaintologist" - do you think we should to to a pm RR? :D

you guys should form a club--you could call yourselves "Blainiacs"

Soonerbabeinbama
4/27/2005, 11:36 PM
you guys should form a club--you could call yourselves "Blainiacs"

"Blainiacs" is good - I like that :)

proud gonzo
4/27/2005, 11:59 PM
yeah, and you could even all dress alike and stuff, that'd be awesome!

Widescreen
4/28/2005, 12:09 AM
And a secret handshake.

Soonerbabeinbama
4/28/2005, 08:25 AM
And a secret handshake.

I got your secret handshake right here!! :cool:

OUDoc
4/28/2005, 08:38 AM
You guys never saw the special on TV revealing that a lot of his tricks from that show were carefully edited to make them look more dramatic than they were? Especially the levitating bit. All those scenes didn't happen at the same time, supposedly. The scene showing both feet off the ground didn't actually happen in front of witnesses. That's the only reason I'm skeptical about his work, because otherwise, he's a freak of nature! :D

Oh, and almost everyone will pick "37" if you ask them to think of a number between 1 and 50 using only odd digits that are different. Weird.

Reno
4/28/2005, 08:54 AM
Buy the DVD Bavid Blaine: Fearless

My favorite is where he helps the homeless dude win an instant win game from the lottery. He tells him to go buy any three tickets, pick the one he wants and throw the other two away. He then tells him to scratch off the card with the magic coin he gives him. He wins all the prizes he scratches off and wins $16,000 bucks! To show that it was legit they follow the guy to the cashing office and film him getting paid out. It was amazing.

There is a guy running around trying to sell books that tell you how to perform many of his tricks. It's too bad people have to try and steal his spotlight because they aren't as successful.

Frozen Sooner
4/28/2005, 10:41 AM
mwah.

Soonerbabeinbama
4/28/2005, 10:46 AM
You guys never saw the special on TV revealing that a lot of his tricks from that show were carefully edited to make them look more dramatic than they were? Especially the levitating bit. All those scenes didn't happen at the same time, supposedly. The scene showing both feet off the ground didn't actually happen in front of witnesses. That's the only reason I'm skeptical about his work, because otherwise, he's a freak of nature! :D

Oh, and almost everyone will pick "37" if you ask them to think of a number between 1 and 50 using only odd digits that are different. Weird.

awwww man - why did you have to go and spoil it for me?? :(

Widescreen
4/28/2005, 10:50 AM
Well, what OUDoc is saying is true, but it's not as bad as it sounds. He really did appear to be levitating which is why the people on the street were freaked out. I looked it up and it's called a Balducci Levitation which has been around awhile. The edit that they put in was when they had the camera at ground level and you could see completely under his feet - they were using a crane and wires then. But with a Balducci levitation, you have to have the observer at a very specific angle from you so you can hide the fact that one foot is actually on the ground lifting you up.

TopDaugIn2000
4/28/2005, 10:56 AM
I think he's great.

and btw, I'd hit it.

bri
4/28/2005, 11:05 AM
I think he's great.

and btw, I'd hit it.

Signed,
Fiona Apple

Soonerbabeinbama
4/28/2005, 01:08 PM
I think he's great.

and btw, I'd hit it.

I agree TD - he is rather "easy on the eyes" isn't he? ;)

TopDaugIn2000
4/28/2005, 01:10 PM
I agree TD - he is rather "easy on the eyes" isn't he? ;)

yup.

Reno
4/28/2005, 01:11 PM
I wish I could levitate...

Soonerbabeinbama
4/28/2005, 01:19 PM
Well, what OUDoc is saying is true, but it's not as bad as it sounds. He really did appear to be levitating which is why the people on the street were freaked out. I looked it up and it's called a Balducci Levitation which has been around awhile. The edit that they put in was when they had the camera at ground level and you could see completely under his feet - they were using a crane and wires then. But with a Balducci levitation, you have to have the observer at a very specific angle from you so you can hide the fact that one foot is actually on the ground lifting you up.

I refuse to believe that David Blaine uses cranes and wires....... it's magic I tell you!!

proud gonzo
4/28/2005, 02:35 PM
I think he's great.

and btw, I'd hit it.

huh. I always thought he was creepy lookin and bizarre as hell...

:D

Soonerbabeinbama
4/28/2005, 02:56 PM
huh. I always thought he was creepy lookin and bizarre as hell...

:D

And that's what separates you from the "Blainiacs"! :cool:

BeetDigger
4/28/2005, 03:06 PM
It's not so much the fact that they are not really defying physics, it's that look of superiority over you that they exhibit after they have done a trick. David Copperfield has it down pat. Just once I want someone to go up and smack him when he gives that freakin look of smugness. Just once I tell you.

Soonerbabeinbama
4/28/2005, 03:09 PM
It's not so much the fact that they are not really defying physics, it's that look of superiority over you that they exhibit after they have done a trick. David Copperfield has it down pat. Just once I want someone to go up and smack him when he gives that freakin look of smugness. Just once I tell you.

But they are so good - they deserve to look smug!! Not knowing how they do their "tricks" is what makes it so much fun. I don't want to know -

Widescreen
4/28/2005, 03:17 PM
What's to know? He gets his powers from the Satanic abyss - just like David Hasselhof.

Soonerbabeinbama
4/28/2005, 03:21 PM
What's to know? He gets his powers from the Satanic abyss - just like David Hasselhof.
David Hasselhof?? :confused:

Widescreen
4/28/2005, 03:23 PM
His career can only be explained by the influence of Satanic power.

achiro
4/28/2005, 03:33 PM
http://www.esquilax.com/baywatch/devil1.jpg

http://www.esquilax.com/baywatch/index.shtml

picasso
4/28/2005, 03:56 PM
anyone ever see that street magic commercial where the white dude levitates with a wide angle shot? he says it's easily taught.

all I know is Blaine freaked out the Dallas Cowboys (Emmit and Deion days)and they're not easily freaked out judging by the taylored suits they wear.

Soonerbabeinbama
4/28/2005, 04:07 PM
His career can only be explained by the influence of Satanic power.

heh! I think you're on to something there! :D

bri
4/28/2005, 04:35 PM
anyone ever see that street magic commercial where the white dude levitates with a wide angle shot? he says it's easily taught.

all I know is Blaine freaked out the Dallas Cowboys (Emmit and Deion days)and they're not easily freaked out judging by the taylored suits they wear.
Maybe they'd gotten a bad batch of coke.

BeetDigger
4/28/2005, 08:32 PM
But they are so good - they deserve to look smug!! Not knowing how they do their "tricks" is what makes it so much fun. I don't want to know -

Ace a physics final. Then they can look smug. Your not going to get me to support you on these magicians. Martinis however.... :texan:

Soonerbabeinbama
4/28/2005, 08:38 PM
bump the physics final - these guys are making scadwads of money. I'd look smug too.

afs
8/27/2006, 08:13 PM
has a facination with teh 4 of Hearts. all of his shows have been on TLC this evening and there has been a reoccurring theme with the 4 of Hearts in card tricks.

it's all illusions and slight of hand but is still pretty cool to see.

SOONER44EVER
8/28/2006, 12:58 AM
I like the one where he takes the girl's engagement ring and makes it disappear. It ends up about 30 feet away in a beer bottle that is laying on the ground. They have to break the bottle to get the ring out! :eek: