PDA

View Full Version : Women's hoops 05-06

AllAboutThe'O'
4/26/2005, 09:35 PM
Anyone have an early idea on how far the Sooner women can go in 2005-06? Obviously, the addition of the Paris sisters will be huge, but we still need to shoot the ball well on a consistent basis in order to be serious contenders. Plus, the Big XII looks to be loaded again this year. I do know that OU wasn't ranked in the preseason top 10 by SI for next season.

Sybarite
4/29/2005, 01:29 AM
OU will be top ten. Having a dominant center takes the pressure off the guards when they shoot. Courtney is a force as yet not seen in women's basketball. But, if Ashley had played this year, she would probably have been the most dominating rebounder in the Big Twelve. She is as big as anyone now playing. With those two inside, Leah will have open shots from 10-15 feet. Can you say ouch?

With that kind of presence on the boards, the guards don't have to fear missing shots. Relax and shoot. A missed shot may simply be a pass to Courtney and Ashley.

Didn't Martina McBride do a song, "How Far?"

AllAboutThe'O'
4/29/2005, 09:08 PM
Didn't Martina McBride do a song, "How Far?"
I don't know, but I knew she did "This One's For the Girls," which we heard on the endless ESPN NCAA women's tourney promos.
Just a thought. If the Paris sisters make a big impact next season and OU is ranked high, would they (and teammates) be featured in next year's ESPN promos? One good thing about the "This One's For the Girls" promos this past season was not seeing Diana Taurasi or Geno Auriemma in them.

whiteagle
4/29/2005, 09:19 PM
i think they can go as far as the elite eight next year, but they probably might end up in the sweet 16.

that being said the future is very bright for both basketball teams.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/29/2005, 09:55 PM
i think they can go as far as the elite eight next year, but they probably might end up in the sweet 16.

that being sad the future is very bright for both basketball teams.
That's kind of along the lines I'm thinking of.
I'm not expecting big, big things next year but 2007 could be a fun one. Plus, I believe the Final Four's up the road in St. Louis.

Sybarite
4/29/2005, 10:14 PM
Women's basketball supposedly hasn't seen anyone with the size and athleticism as Courtney. She is someone that is being called the beginning of a new era by Lisa Leslie. Is she the Chamberlain or Alcindor of women's basketball?

As much as is being said about Courtney, Ashley is as big as any player in the Big Twelve this year, and she can move. That's a tough combination inside. What does it take to make the final four?

whiteagle
4/29/2005, 10:33 PM
What does it take to make the final four?

no injuries, plenty of depth at all positions and talent up the wahzoo.

SicEmBaylor
4/29/2005, 11:14 PM
no injuries, plenty of depth at all positions and talent up the wahzoo.

It takes Kim Mulkey Robertson =)

Sybarite
4/29/2005, 11:24 PM
Actually, Sherri is as good as Kim, if not better.

Women's basketball is probably more like men's basketball used to be. Two or three good players, especially outstanding players, are enough to carry a team. If the Paris Twins are as good as projected, OU will be a final four team simply because of them. Women's teams simply don't have that kind of depth yet.

When UConn beat us, they did have that kind of depth. That was a superteam. Most teams seem to have a couple of really good players to go with some good players.

AllAboutThe'O'
5/1/2005, 11:16 PM
I will be interested to see how the Parises fare next season against Baylor's Sophia Young. That could be an irrestible force-meets-immovable object scenario.

badger
5/16/2005, 11:37 PM
as long as we crush baylor's little spirit... man, i can't believe i'm saying that... about BAYLOR...

it just show how much your athletics have improved, sic em.

SicEmBaylor
5/17/2005, 03:26 PM
as long as we crush baylor's little spirit... man, i can't believe i'm saying that... about BAYLOR...

it just show how much your athletics have improved, sic em.

Absolutely. I mean even within the last few years since we weeded out the 3 S's of evil (Sloan, Stanton, and Steele) the progress toward a better athletic department has been phenomenal. The women's program really is the shining beacon of athletic greatness at Baylor right now. But we can't leave out the men's tennis team (yeah I know..tennis..but still) who are on their way to a 2nd National Championship or the Baseball team and the success they've had (their typical post season implodes not withstanding).

The great thing about KMR is that at the rally when the team came back from Indianapolis, she made a challenge to Baylor athletics. She made every coach and every player stand up and she told them that they could have be successful. It isn't enough to blame losses on the fact that we're Baylor. We can and we WILL do better in the future. I think a couple of people got mad at her calling the rest of the athletic department out, but the woman has a pair of brass ones and it definitely needed to be said.

And as for football. I know our record hasn't changed much but anyone who has watched Baylor play during the Steele era and then see a game coached by Guy Morriss would be SHOCKED at the turn around. I think we have a realistic shot of getting 4-6 wins a year at some point in the future.

But yeah women's basketball has been a ton of fun and a source of pride for the school. And the women sooners did give us a bit of a scare this past year!

Remembering Tom Stidham
5/17/2005, 08:58 PM
Last season we had good athletes, excellent scorers. What we lacked was quickness and a dominant inside player. This lack of quickness was particularly noticeable on defense. If Sherri is bringing in some quick perimeter players, who can help early, then the California posts might just be enough to get us to the final four.

Sherri and Kim are very similar in multiple ways. Both are outstanding. Kim has done it. Sherri will, someday.

Soonerborn03
5/18/2005, 09:44 AM
But yeah women's basketball has been a ton of fun and a source of pride for the school. And the women sooners did give us a bit of a scare this past year!I'm still pissed off at Baylor for hitting that shot with .9 seconds left this year in Norman :mad:

We make that big comeback and finally take the lead late in the game, and then you guys knock down the dagger just outside of the free throw line. I was sick to my stomach after that one.

badger
5/18/2005, 02:08 PM
Smoke the bears!
http://www.ruidoso-info.com/smokeybear/museum/smokey%20it%20fits%20hat.gif

TopDawg
4/6/2006, 11:20 PM
We make that big comeback and finally take the lead late in the game, and then you guys knock down the dagger just outside of the free throw line. I was sick to my stomach after that one.

Your hometown girl's got your back.

The Consumate Showman
4/6/2006, 11:27 PM
Another question that I need an answer to. I heard both ways on this.

Is that point guard from Tennessee coming to OU. I heard she was going to transfer/did tranfer already/then she wasn't coming at all. What's the scoop people???

The Consumate Showman
4/6/2006, 11:28 PM
I am stoked about seeing my favorite all-time NBA b-ball player in Norman for the next four years. Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is/was a bad AZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!

Ruuuuuufus
4/7/2006, 12:23 AM
Another question that I need an answer to. I heard both ways on this.

Is that point guard from Tennessee coming to OU. I heard she was going to transfer/did tranfer already/then she wasn't coming at all. What's the scoop people???

She transferred to Maryland at the semester. From what I heard the girl has a bit of a 'tude and we might have backed off. That could just be sour grapes though :o

AllAboutThe'O'
4/7/2006, 11:27 PM
She transferred to Maryland at the semester. From what I heard the girl has a bit of a 'tude and we might have backed off. That could just be sour grapes though :o
As if Maryland wasn't loaded enough as it already is.