PDA

View Full Version : Poll: UFC or Boxing?

Widescreen
4/13/2005, 01:54 PM
Every once in awhile I catch one of the Ultimate Fighting Championships on TV. I'm curious to see whether my fellow hillbillies like UFC or traditional boxing better.

Scott D
4/13/2005, 01:58 PM
WTF, where's the option of Both seem to be pretty gay nowadays. NTTAWWT

mdklatt
4/13/2005, 02:04 PM
Man, I haven't eaten at KFC in forever.

OUDoc
4/13/2005, 02:04 PM
Wasn't Weird Al in that?

mdklatt
4/13/2005, 02:07 PM
Wasn't Weird Al in that?

Yeah, and Kramer too.

Sooner51
4/13/2005, 02:57 PM
I caught that ufc bout last saturday, pretty awesome I must say. I didn't agree with the judges, but wicked fight nevertheless. I still prefer boxing though.

n8v_ndn
4/13/2005, 03:05 PM
UFC is awesome, I started watching it beginning with UFC 2. It got me more interested in martial arts. I began studying Ketsugo Jiu Jitsu because of it.

I liked it a little more back in the day, when you could see:

400+ lb Sumo wrestler vs. 160 lb Kenpo Karate
Western boxers vs. Ninjitsu
Wrestling vs. Kickboxing

Now, there are weight classes and blended Mixed Martial Arts. Most of the 'pure' martial artists shy away from competing, cuz they feel it gives grapplers an advantage.

But it's still awesome.

sooner n houston
4/13/2005, 03:23 PM
I saw my first UFC match this weekend. It bothered me that they can tackle a guy, hold him down and beat the crap out of him! I prefer either college wrestling or boxing.

n8v_ndn
4/13/2005, 03:27 PM
I saw my first UFC match this weekend. It bothered me that they can tackle a guy, hold him down and beat the crap out of him! I prefer either college wrestling or boxing.

Well, the guy on the bottom is allowed to get up...if he can ;). A knockout can happen at any moment, and it's more versatile than western boxing, since you can strike with the feets, elbows, knees, etc.

Widescreen
4/13/2005, 03:32 PM
The main thing that bothers me is that they spend too much time on the ground in the missionary position. My wife walked by the TV and said "What on earth are you watching???"

Oldnslo
4/13/2005, 03:46 PM
UFC, and it isn't close.

Reno
4/13/2005, 03:47 PM
Boxing has rules that fellow competitors must follow. It's not only a battle of power, speed, and toughness, but quick-thinking and strategy. The best fighters in Boxing are some of he greatest athletes in the world. Many UFC competitors have tried and failed in another area. The sweet science still provokes more attention in big events than some of the biggest sporting events. Tyson alone was, and maybe still is, one of the biggest attractions in the world of sports. Boxing, because it's always the ninth inning/fourth quarter/third period/second half and it can end in the blink of an eye. Just ask Roy Jones. Sure that can happen in UFC, but it's happening to people who wouldn't last three rounds in a heavyweight title (boxing) fight.

n8v_ndn
4/13/2005, 04:13 PM
Boxing has rules that fellow competitors must follow. It's not only a battle of power, speed, and toughness, but quick-thinking and strategy. The best fighters in Boxing are some of he greatest atheletes in the world. Many UFC competitors have tried and failed in another area. The sweet science still provokes more attention in big events than some of the biggest sporting events. Tyson alone was, and maybe still is, one of the biggest attractions in the world of sports. Boxing, because it's always the ninth inning/fourth quarter/third period/second half and it can end in the blink of an eye. Just ask Roy Jones. Sure that can happen in UFC, but it's happening to people who wouldn't last three rounds in a heavyweight title (boxing) fight.

Oh my...the UFC does have rules now (can't kick with shoes on, certain elbow strikes are forbidden, no fish hooks or eye gouges).

While boxing does tax a body and demands a great many talents, grappling sports demand the same and more...without benefit of 12-15 1 minute breaks to catch one's breath. There's quite a difference between trying to breathe standing next to someone and/or sitting on a stool versus having them put their full weight on you and choking you at the same time. A lot of these Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) athletes were world class olympic wrestlers...and that sport's mantra is 'never gas'. I think they'd last well beyond 3 rounds with Don King watching.

As far as quick thinking and strategy, I've seen western boxers absolutely flounder at MMA events--they don't realize their legs/feet are striking weapons, and they typically can't defend against takedowns. The successful MMA athlete featured in the UFC has to know how to execute and defend against all these tactics.

The UFC fight cards are dotted with world class athletes who have excelled in other sports--Kickboxing, Karate, Vale Tudo, Chinese Boxing, Greco Roman Wrestling, Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Sumo and Arm Wrestling :D

C&CDean
4/13/2005, 04:47 PM
On the evolutionary chart, boxers are about 2 levels above UFCers. Who are several levels below the average NHL player.

I like a good fight, but for the life of me, I don't know why anybody would actually want to be a fighter. That **** hurts.

Sooner_Bob
4/13/2005, 04:48 PM
Well said n8v_ndn. At least today UFC seems to be much more interesting to me. But I also miss the matches that you'd see in the early UFC's as well. I remember the big huge black dude that got beat by a 200 lb. striker. The small guy had the big dude beat and then continued to pummel him and ended up breaking his hand and had to drop out of the competition. Back in the early UFCs guys would fight 2 sometimes 3 times on a card and that my friends was way brutal.

Sooner_Bob
4/13/2005, 04:49 PM
On the evolutionary chart, boxers are about 2 levels above UFCers. Who are several levels below the average NHL player.

Now this I'd have to disagree with.

I like a good fight, but for the life of me, I don't know why anybody would actually want to be a fighter. That **** hurts.

This not so much.

Scott D
4/13/2005, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&CDean

Now this I'd have to disagree with.

http://www.detnews.com/pix/2001/03/06/f04probert.jpg

This guy took on 6 cops :P

course he was a drunken cokehead when he did it.

In his prime I'd take him and Kocur over any UFC dude.

Sooner_Bob
4/13/2005, 04:57 PM
Sorry, there's several UFC dudes that I think could more than hold their own against anyone anywhere.

n8v_ndn
4/13/2005, 04:58 PM
...I remember the big huge black dude that got beat by a 200 lb. striker. The small guy had the big dude beat and then continued to pummel him and ended up breaking his hand and had to drop out of the competition. Back in the early UFCs guys would fight 2 sometimes 3 times on a card and that my friends was way brutal.

Exactly...that's what I was referring to when I said '400+ lb Sumo wrestler vs. 160 lb Kenpo Karate'. The Karate guy was closer to 200, you're right.

That was the same event where the lanky Royce Gracie beat the 6'5, 300+ lb European Judo champ with a choke using his own gi sleeve :D

That gladiator style, all night bracket was brutal...the 2 survivors were typically on their last legs at that point.

n8v_ndn
4/13/2005, 05:01 PM
http://www.detnews.com/pix/2001/03/06/f04probert.jpg

This guy took on 6 cops :P

course he was a drunken cokehead when he did it.

In his prime I'd take him and Kocur over any UFC dude.

The feathered mullet guy with the white turtleneck? Frank Mir would win by rear naked choke using the turtleneck in about 30 seconds :D

Scott D
4/13/2005, 05:05 PM
heh you guys underestimate how truly screwed up in the head Bob Probert really was at that point....Dave 'Tiger' Williams is probably more of a UFC kind of guy though

Sooner_Bob
4/13/2005, 05:06 PM
Tank Abbott . . . the dude got choked out a bunch but man could he fight.

Widescreen
4/13/2005, 05:12 PM
Plus he looked MEAN. No way I'd do anything to irritate him.

MamaMia
4/13/2005, 10:09 PM
I didnt even know what UFC was until I clicked on this thread. :O

Reno
4/14/2005, 09:57 AM
Sorry, there's several UFC dudes that I think could more than hold their own against anyone anywhere.

Yet, you're probably basing this on fights you've seen with them against other UFC guys. Not to go back to someone that has taken so much away from the sport, but Mike Tyson has taken some beatings. And for that matter so has Mickey Ward and Arturo Gatti. I don't think I've seen a guy in a UFC fight take that kind of punishment and still be in the fight, every second of every round. The better sport is Boxing because it is a sport. Regulations are strict and it is about making the best matchups possible. UFC seems more like a traveling circus where they pick one guy who is lightning quick but no more than 5'2" against a guy who could start for the Dallas Cowboy's at Left Guard. Occasionally you will get a good fight, but you take guys with conflicting styles, and body weights and throw them into a Tekken 4 melee against one another. I'm not saying it's not fun to watch, but the better sport and the more cometitive athletes are in boxing. Boxing has a great history. Right now UFC to Boxing is what the XFL was to the NFL. If allowed to flourish and gain world wide recognition as a true sport it will only get better.

Widescreen
4/14/2005, 10:05 AM
UFC seems more like a traveling circus where they pick one guy who is lightning quick but no more than 5'2" against a guy who could start for the Dallas Cowboy's at Left Guard. Occasionally you will get a good fight, but you take guys with conflicting styles, and body weights and throw them into a Tekken 4 melee against one another.

You obviously haven't watched in awhile. They don't do that anymore. As mentioned above, they have weight classes and actual rules. Because of this, they are getting sanctioned everywhere they tried. Before, when it was like you're describing it, the states were banning UFC right and left. The UFC fighters are now a lot more well-rounded fighters because they have to be. They have to fight as well on the ground as they do standing up.

Scott D
4/14/2005, 10:07 AM
[mocking voice]Jet Li could kick all their asses at once, I saw it in a movie[/mocking voice]

Rhino
4/14/2005, 11:14 AM
Boxing hasn't been entertaining since the mid-90s.

n8v_ndn
4/14/2005, 11:35 AM
BTW: Those of you who've gotten a taste and would like to see more, UFC 52 is on PPV this Saturday!!!

linkage: UFC52 (http://www.ufc.tv/multimedia/multimedia.asp?assetID=1768)

Reno
4/14/2005, 11:40 AM
Boxing hasn't been entertaining since the mid-90s.

You didn't like Gatt-Ward I-III!?
How about De La Hoya v. Mosely I and II?
Lewis-Klitchko?
Manny Pacquiao-Eric Morales?
Kostya Tzsu-Zab Juddah?
Zab Juddah-Corey Spinks I and II?
Any Angel Manfredy fights?
Roy Jones-Antonio Tarver I and II?
Manny Pacquiao - Miguel Marquez?

All of which has happened within the last 5 years. Awesome fights!

Rhino
4/14/2005, 01:27 PM
That's the problem with boxing right now. A bunch of no-names and alsorans. When Lennox Lewis is your heavyweight champ, you know you have a problem. And any fight with a slow white Russian guy in it is destined to be crap.

I've never bothered with much under the heavyweight category. I have no desire to see two wittle guys punch and avoid each other.

On another note, technical fighting kills me. Go ten rounds of hopping around with the occasional punch and then have the judges decide it? Boring. I might as well be watching racecars go round and round on TV. Go until someone is knocked out or gives up.

Reno
4/14/2005, 01:52 PM
That's the problem with boxing right now. A bunch of no-names and alsorans. When Lennox Lewis is your heavyweight champ, you know you have a problem. And any fight with a slow white Russian guy in it is destined to be crap.

I've never bothered with much under the heavyweight category. I have no desire to see two wittle guys punch and avoid each other.

On another note, technical fighting kills me. Go ten rounds of hopping around with the occasional punch and then have the judges decide it? Boring. I might as well be watching racecars go round and round on TV. Go until someone is knocked out or gives up.

So you're saying you've never been a fan of the sport. There are 10 to 12 rounds in professional fights. Would you get up and leave in the second quarter of a football game if it's a deadlock? You watch to see knockouts. That is not boxing! The object is to outsmart, outlast and outpunch your opponents. Most of the fights you see with guys that are throwing haymakers the entire fight usually ends up a forfeit by one of the fighters simply too tired to continue. You obviously don't think Ali was very good if you think it's all about Knockouts in the first round. By that measure you wouldn't have liked Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Oscar De La Hoya, Evander Holyfield, Ken Norton, Rocky Marciano, Floyd Mayweather Jr.,Pernell Whitacker, Julio Caesar Chavez, Roberto Duran... and all the other great BOXERS who out fought their opponents rather than trying to Mike Tyson every one. Hasim Rahman threw one of the best haymakers on one night in boxing history. After one fight he fell to the bottom of the boxing world and hasn't even come close to another title shot. The haymaker is always a fun thing to watch but it rarely makes a fighter great.

As for those "No-name guys"

Pacquiao fought Marquez last year and it was one of the best fights I've ever seen. Pacquiao knocked Marquez down 3 times in the first round. Marquez would not stop even though he was getting blasted into oblivion by the one time Thai kickboxer. Marquez came back round after round fighting his heart out and fought to a draw. He basically had to win every round after that disasterous first to get back in the fight. I'm sorry but that was better than any grapple contest I've ever seen.

Rhino
4/14/2005, 02:56 PM
I've been a fan of the sport. Just not since it started being boring. In fact, reading about Jack Johnson, Gene Tunney, Jack Dempsey, etc. was one of the more fascinating and captivating things I did in college.

The main problem boxing has currently is that the best athletes aren't looking at boxing as an option any more. They're going for baseball, football, basketball, soccer, etc. What you have now are these guys that were either born into the sport or are third-rate athletes -- especially in the upper divisions. And ultimately, that's what turns me off from boxing.

Reno
4/14/2005, 03:02 PM
I've been a fan of the sport. Just not since it started being boring. In fact, reading about Jack Johnson, Gene Tunney, Jack Dempsey, etc. was one of the more fascinating and captivating things I did in college.

The main problem boxing has currently is that the best athletes aren't looking at boxing as an option any more. They're going for baseball, football, basketball, soccer, etc. What you have now are these guys that were either born into the sport or are third-rate athletes -- especially in the upper divisions. And ultimately, that's what turns me off from boxing.

Very good points. But I still like it.

Sooner_Bob
4/14/2005, 03:27 PM
Yet, you're probably basing this on fights you've seen with them against other UFC guys. Not to go back to someone that has taken so much away from the sport, but Mike Tyson has taken some beatings. And for that matter so has Mickey Ward and Arturo Gatti. I don't think I've seen a guy in a UFC fight take that kind of punishment and still be in the fight, every second of every round. The better sport is Boxing because it is a sport. Regulations are strict and it is about making the best matchups possible. UFC seems more like a traveling circus where they pick one guy who is lightning quick but no more than 5'2" against a guy who could start for the Dallas Cowboy's at Left Guard. Occasionally you will get a good fight, but you take guys with conflicting styles, and body weights and throw them into a Tekken 4 melee against one another. I'm not saying it's not fun to watch, but the better sport and the more cometitive athletes are in boxing. Boxing has a great history. Right now UFC to Boxing is what the XFL was to the NFL. If allowed to flourish and gain world wide recognition as a true sport it will only get better.

I'll just concur with Widescreen's reply to you and leave it at that. :D

Sooner_Bob
4/14/2005, 03:29 PM
You obviously haven't watched in awhile. They don't do that anymore. As mentioned above, they have weight classes and actual rules. Because of this, they are getting sanctioned everywhere they tried. Before, when it was like you're describing it, the states were banning UFC right and left. The UFC fighters are now a lot more well-rounded fighters because they have to be. They have to fight as well on the ground as they do standing up.

Exactamundo . . . while the mismatched fights were fun back in the day things are actually a lot better now.

But hey, I enjoyed watching those big dudes get beat down as much as anyone.

Reno
4/14/2005, 03:30 PM
I'll just concur with Widescreen's reply to you and leave it at that. :D

<sigh> okay...

Widescreen
4/14/2005, 03:37 PM
But whatever you do, don't mess with Bob. He's 6'4" and at least 180 lbs which the BMI rates as morbidly obese. His shadow alone could decapitate you and kancho your corpse. :D

Sooner_Bob
4/14/2005, 03:39 PM
Actually it's a slim 244 lbs. :D

Sooner_Bob
4/14/2005, 03:40 PM
<sigh> okay...

:D

Reno
4/14/2005, 03:42 PM
But whatever you do, don't mess with Bob. He's 6'4" and at least 180 lbs which the BMI rates as morbidly obese. His shadow alone could decapitate you and kancho your corpse. :D

Yeah, but I'd totally kill him if we were in the same weight division...:D

Scott D
4/14/2005, 04:16 PM
So you're saying you've never been a fan of the sport. There are 10 to 12 rounds in professional fights. Would you get up and leave in the second quarter of a football game if it's a deadlock? You watch to see knockouts. That is not boxing! The object is to outsmart, outlast and outpunch your opponents. Most of the fights you see with guys that are throwing haymakers the entire fight usually ends up a forfeit by one of the fighters simply too tired to continue. You obviously don't think Ali was very good if you think it's all about Knockouts in the first round. By that measure you wouldn't have liked Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler, Oscar De La Hoya, Evander Holyfield, Ken Norton, Rocky Marciano, Floyd Mayweather Jr.,Pernell Whitacker, Julio Caesar Chavez, Roberto Duran... and all the other great BOXERS who out fought their opponents rather than trying to Mike Tyson every one. Hasim Rahman threw one of the best haymakers on one night in boxing history. After one fight he fell to the bottom of the boxing world and hasn't even come close to another title shot. The haymaker is always a fun thing to watch but it rarely makes a fighter great.

As for those "No-name guys"

Pacquiao fought Marquez last year and it was one of the best fights I've ever seen. Pacquiao knocked Marquez down 3 times in the first round. Marquez would not stop even though he was getting blasted into oblivion by the one time Thai kickboxer. Marquez came back round after round fighting his heart out and fought to a draw. He basically had to win every round after that disasterous first to get back in the fight. I'm sorry but that was better than any grapple contest I've ever seen.

*cough* How dare you refer to Jack Johnson, Joe Louis, and Sugar Ray Robinson as 'other boxers' :P

SoonersEnFuego
4/14/2005, 06:01 PM
I watch them both whenever possible.

Sooner_Bob
4/16/2005, 09:16 PM
Yeah, but I'd totally kill him if we were in the same weight division...:D

Heh . . . after reading that post of yours about Atlanta I'll stay far far away. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/24/2006, 02:40 PM
When the boxing heavyweight division was good, this might have been a bit more difficult to answer....

Widescreen
5/24/2006, 03:21 PM
Wow, I forgot I started this pole. I'm still bigtime relevant!!!!11!1!!!\

Boarder
5/24/2006, 04:15 PM
http://cagefuryonline.com/e107_images/newspost_images/posteronline.jpg

I play basketball with the dude in the upper left (with the belt). Wayne Cole. He's actually a very nice guy. Good at basketball, too. His last fight, he knocked the guy out in 30 seconds.

Cack
5/24/2006, 04:23 PM
I play basketball with the dude in the upper left (with the belt). Wayne Cole. He's actually a very nice guy. Good at basketball, too. His last fight, he knocked the guy out in 30 seconds.

note to yourself ... if you ever call a foul on him ... and he says he didn't foul you ... HE DIDN'T FOUL YOU

Widescreen
5/24/2006, 05:07 PM
http://cagefuryonline.com/e107_images/newspost_images/posteronline.jpg

Boarder, I was looking at the undercard on that poster and it looks like TBA is fighting TWICE! :eek: That's one tough SOB!

BeetDigger
5/24/2006, 05:39 PM
note to yourself ... if you ever call a foul on him ... and he says he didn't foul you ... HE DIDN'T FOUL YOU

Exactly. And if he goes for a rebound, I'd back off and let him have it.

That is unless you are built like Ninja Bob. In which case, go for it. :D

Harry Beanbag
5/24/2006, 06:22 PM
Boxing blows.

olevetonahill
5/25/2006, 02:42 AM
Wheres the "kill em all ,let God sort em out " option ?

royalfan5
2/1/2007, 09:36 PM
I'm a pretty big boxing fan as well. I think the people involved in boxing fascinate me as much as the actual fights. Boxing is full of wildly flawed characters and that entertains me as much as the actual boxing.

Sooner_Bob
2/1/2007, 09:42 PM
I still say boxing is getting pwned by the UFC and Pride FC . . .

Boarder
2/1/2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah, he lost that fight.

MiccoMacey
2/2/2007, 10:18 AM

Not sure where this is coming from, unless you're just a former boxer. Boxers only have to worry about one thing...a punch. UFCers have to worry about a punch, kick, takedown, choke hold, etc...

On the evolutionary scale, boxers aren't even upright walkers. They're the knuckle draggers to the current homo sapiens of UFC.

Sure it hurts. So does getting hit in the nose while boxing. Fighting is just the next step up from boxing. I wish I were younger... or this had come around mainstream when I was still in my 30's. I'd have loved to train for it.

I actually like both sports (as long as they're good bouts). I'm not knocking boxing at all. I'm just more of a UFC fan.

MiccoMacey
2/2/2007, 10:20 AM
Wonder if this is the same Wayne Cole that wrestled for Iowa State as their HWT.

If so, he looks much better (shape-wise) from what I remember.

C&CDean
2/2/2007, 10:32 AM
Dang, a 2-year old thread. But I still hold true to what I said.

Judas H. Priest with a pulpy face, what kind of nimrod would fight somebody for the little $$ they offer in UFC?

Also, how many of you fight lovers hate ****/dog fighting? In my simple mind, it's much preferable for a couple of animals to hook it up than a couple humans. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a really great boxing match, but it's just such a pointless sport. And like Rhino said two years ago, boxing over the past several years has been pretty much "meh."

Boarder
2/2/2007, 11:52 AM
He did say that he wrestled. It may be.

Come on, Dean. Some people fight because someone bumped into them on the dance floor at the Arbuckle. Any $$ would be a bonus!

Tulsa_Fireman
2/2/2007, 12:10 PM
Can we please get back on topic?

Yeah, and Kramer too.

I didn't know this. (http://tulsatvmemories.com/uhf.html)

MiccoMacey
2/2/2007, 02:32 PM
Dang, a 2-year old thread. But I still hold true to what I said.

Judas H. Priest with a pulpy face, what kind of nimrod would fight somebody for the little $$ they offer in UFC?

Also, how many of you fight lovers hate ****/dog fighting? In my simple mind, it's much preferable for a couple of animals to hook it up than a couple humans. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a really great boxing match, but it's just such a pointless sport. And like Rhino said two years ago, boxing over the past several years has been pretty much "meh."

1) Didn't see this was a two year old thread (note to self...start checking thread dates).

2) The differences between human fights and animal fights are many. A human enters into this under his own free ill. He trains if he so chooses, he fights if he so chooses. He can walk away if he chooses not to. He isn't discarded because he lost. Animals have no say so, they fight whether they want to or not, and while using weapons such as knives and spurs would land a human time in jail, they are routinely used for fight birds (along with many other tactics). If they lose, especially if they show fear or back down they are killed.

There are rules to all UFC and boxing matches. They are not "to the death". Bite wounds are many many many times more serious and lethal than punches and kicks. Look at any statistic...the amount of humans that die in boxing or UFC...very few. How many animals have died while fighting? Way too many to count.

And if boxing is such a pointless sport, how is animal fighting different? Two contestants enter...they fight...there is a winner and a loser. I'd much rather watch two humans box than watch two animals fight anyday.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/2/2007, 02:41 PM
...and while using weapons such as knives and spurs would land a human time in jail, they are routinely used for fight birds...

I had an uncle that raised gamecocks. He'd let his birds spar with these cool lil' boxing gloves that'd go on like gaffs, over the spur and around the leg. Leather with stuffing, the whole nine yards.

Those birds would beat the living **** outta each other.

It was funny.

C&CDean
2/2/2007, 02:44 PM
1) Didn't see this was a two year old thread (note to self...start checking thread dates).

2) The differences between human fights and animal fights are many. A human enters into this under his own free ill. He trains if he so chooses, he fights if he so chooses. He can walk away if he chooses not to. He isn't discarded because he lost. Animals have no say so, they fight whether they want to or not, and while using weapons such as knives and spurs would land a human time in jail, they are routinely used for fight birds (along with many other tactics). If they lose, especially if they show fear or back down they are killed.

There are rules to all UFC and boxing matches. They are not "to the death". Bite wounds are many many many times more serious and lethal than punches and kicks. Look at any statistic...the amount of humans that die in boxing or UFC...very few. How many animals have died while fighting? Way too many to count.

And if boxing is such a pointless sport, how is animal fighting different? Two contestants enter...they fight...there is a winner and a loser. I'd much rather watch two humans box than watch two animals fight anyday.

Different strokes....

And I'd rather just watch a football game than a fight. To me, fighting (boxing included) is just one of those things that has carried over from Roman times. And I fought so much as a kid/young adult I'm pretty much burned out on it. We boxed at the paper stops, we boxed in the Army, we fought every chance we got outside the ring too.

In all the fights I've ever been in, I've never come out of it thinking "wow, that accomplished something." In fact, it's always been "gee, now I feel like a real ******* for smashing that guys face on the curb in front of his girlfriend."

And it doesn't even matter if he deserved it or not. It just doesn't accomplish anything.

MiccoMacey
2/2/2007, 02:50 PM
We agree to disagree on competitive fighting for humans and animals.

We agree to agree that non-competitive fighting is ridiculous. It never accomplishes anything.

C&CDean
2/2/2007, 02:56 PM
We agree to disagree on competitive fighting for humans and animals.

We agree to agree that non-competitive fighting is ridiculous. It never accomplishes anything.

Actually we agree to agree at least a little on the humans/animals thing too. I don't like animal fighting either, I just don't have the problem with it that a lot of folks do. And I do enjoy a really good fight, but have trouble watching UFC just because of how they hold each other down and continuously smash face. Been there, done that, and it brings back a lot of bad memories, so I don't care to watch it anymore.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/2/2007, 02:57 PM
What if they just held 'em down and gave out a rash of noogies?

C&CDean
2/2/2007, 02:58 PM
What if they just held 'em down and gave out a rash of noogies?

Dude, my dad damn near noogied me to death a few times so that's no good either.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/2/2007, 03:01 PM
Dude, my dad damn near noogied me to death a few times so that's no good either.

Well crap. Short of wet willie contests, I'm drawin' a blank, man.

MiccoMacey
2/2/2007, 03:03 PM
Actually we agree to agree at least a little on the humans/animals thing too. I don't like animal fighting either...

Pansy. :D

What if they just held them down and went "motor boat" all over their stomach until they pased out laughing?

C&CDean
2/2/2007, 03:05 PM
Well crap. Short of wet willie contests, I'm drawin' a blank, man.

Chinese water torture.

I always thought that was a load of crap - until the old man showed me about it. Only he didn't use water, he used his finger. I was popping off about it one day when I was about 12 or so and he says "c'mere boy, let me show you what it is." So, I lay on the floor, the old man pins my shoulders down with his knees and slowly starts tapping his finger on my forehead. I'm laughing going "that ain't bad, what's the problem." Well, after about a minute or two I'm starting to go "OK, I get the point" but he just keeps tap-tap-tap-tap....and after about another minute I'm thinking "please get off me soon cause this ****'s gonna drive me nuts." It was terrible stuff. About the time my face started to change colors and I was about to give myself whiplash trying to get up he let's me up and goes "so boy, what'ya think about it now?" I go "if the Chinese ever catch me I'm gonna talk, cause that **** drove me crazy."

MiccoMacey
2/2/2007, 03:09 PM
I go "if the Chinese ever catch me I'm gonna talk, cause that **** drove me crazy."

Had a mean neighbor named Lloyd who did the same thing but wouldn't let me up until I cried.

It was embarrassing as hell walking back to my house with my wife and kids watching me cry all the way home. ;)

C&CDean
2/2/2007, 03:10 PM
Heh.

Sooner_Bob
2/4/2007, 10:26 PM

So $500,000 to 1 mill per fight for some of the UFC stars is little $$? That's not counting endorsements which could be 2 or 3 times that amount.

Granted it's not Mike Tyson money but considering that some of these guys fight 4-6 times a year that's not a bad income.

bluedogok
2/4/2007, 10:29 PM
Where is the "could care less option"?

Sooner_Bob
2/4/2007, 10:33 PM
Right next to the "I've never watched the UFC option".