PDA

View Full Version : Bands You Just Don't Get.............

critical_phil
4/12/2005, 10:30 AM
here are the ground rules:

the band has to have some kind of sustained popularity or critical acclaim. for instance, you can't say "i never got into 98 degrees for some reason"; because, what the hell, there was really nothing to get.

i'll start:

pink floyd.

i've tried - i just don't get it. this may be sacrelige to some of you - but i said that i gave it a try.

also ran:

NIN.

ughh.

Veritas
4/12/2005, 10:32 AM
Great thread c_p. I love Gilmour's solos, and NIN is an acquired taste. To each their own...

Two for me:
Radiohead
Wilco

Fugue
4/12/2005, 10:32 AM
Snow Patrol
Modest Mouse

(ducking)

yermom
4/12/2005, 10:35 AM
old NIN is good, like Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral, i don't care for the new stuff

and Floyd? really? Dark Side of the Moon is just full of classics, i keep meaning to get a copy of The Wall

how about Radiohead? i just don't see it, i have kinda tried

and Dave Matthews Band, maybe they are better live?

yermom
4/12/2005, 10:37 AM
Snow Patrol
Modest Mouse

(ducking)

yeah, i don't get it either

i still think they sound like a bad Talking Heads ripoff

oh yeah, how about Talking Heads..

ou4me
4/12/2005, 10:37 AM
guns -n- roses

I think it's the "-n-" part of the name.

Well, and the music succs. Succs, I say.

fadada1
4/12/2005, 10:38 AM
creed
nirvana (never like 'em)
smashing pumpkins

btw, you should be 'band' for saying floyd.

yermom
4/12/2005, 10:38 AM
guns -n- roses

I think it's the "-n-" part of the name.

Well, and the music succs. Succs, I say.

dude, weak

yermom
4/12/2005, 10:40 AM
hehe, i remember this thread now

it was called "overrated bands" or something

also known as "lets raise yermom's blood pressure by dissing GNR, Nirvana and Pearl Jam" :mad:

;)

Veritas
4/12/2005, 10:41 AM
creed
nirvana (never like 'em)
smashing pumpkins

btw, you should be 'band' for saying floyd.
Hail yeah on everything you just said. I did like Siamese Dream, but after that album it's like Corgan decided "**** it, I'm not going to bother singing anymore, I'm just going to wail and scream."

Fugue
4/12/2005, 10:42 AM
yeah, i don't get it either

i still think they sound like a bad Talking Heads ripoff

oh yeah, how about Talking Heads..

I honestly haven't heard either one of them, heck I don't even know if snow patrol is a band. :D
You do realize that Brangel will destroy us for this. Shoot, BSG might even poke some ear for good measure.

ou4me
4/12/2005, 10:43 AM
Yermom, don't be jealous 'cause we've been online all day dissin' GNR. ;)

yermom
i was talking about Modest Mouse

i haven't heard Snow Patrol

yermom
Yermom, don't be jealous 'cause we've been online all day dissin' GNR. ;)

:mad:

Oldnslo
4/12/2005, 10:44 AM
I love Pearl Jam, but I've also just been told that it's surprisingly easy to rock my appendages off.

So, boldly setting forth my musical mistastes, I'll state that I just don't get:

Phish.

And I'm certain that NIN is the soundtrack playing in Hell.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/12/2005, 10:45 AM
Please God, save me from the Scandinavian ***-kickin' I might get from one beautiful VK but...

U2.

I just don't get it. I want to get it but I don't. Please help me get it.

BudSooner
4/12/2005, 10:45 AM
Ratt and Rush.

I kid, I kid...about the Ratt part. :D

Fugue
4/12/2005, 10:47 AM
Please God, save me from the Scandinavian ***-kickin' I might get from one beautiful VK but...

U2.

pffft, and i was worried about getting a beat down for my post. You're screwed, heh. :texan:

mdklatt
4/12/2005, 10:48 AM
Pink Floyd
Grateful Dead
Elvis Presley
Beatles
Creed
Green Day
White Stripes
Weezer
R.E.M.

Scott D
4/12/2005, 10:49 AM
any band comprised of the standard "Beat Me Up Please" whiners who had a nice cushy and comfy middle class upbringing where mommy and daddy got them the stuff they wanted, who make music about how hard and tough life is for them.

critical_phil
4/12/2005, 10:50 AM
hehe, i remember this thread now

it was called "overrated bands" or something

i'm not saying overrated, per se - just that i don't get it.

though i'm pretty sure NIN has no identifiable talent...............

:D

mdklatt
4/12/2005, 10:51 AM
any band comprised of the standard "Beat Me Up Please" whiners who had a nice cushy and comfy middle class upbringing where mommy and daddy got them the stuff they wanted, who make music about how hard and tough life is for them.

So any band formed since 1995 then?

jk the sooner fan

U2.

woot! is there room for more on that bandwagon?

creed is an obvious choice...

Widescreen
here are the ground rules:

the band has to have some kind of sustained popularity or critical acclaim. for instance, you can't say "i never got into 98 degrees for some reason"; because, what the hell, there was really nothing to get.

:mad: Nick Lachey is a dreamboat!

Starship. When they changed from Jefferson Starship to Starship, it made me want to hurl. "We built this city"???? Blech.

ou4me
4/12/2005, 10:52 AM

So, pop music in general, then?

fadada1
Rush.

oh my :eek:

fadada1
So any band formed since 1995 then?
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!

Scott D
4/12/2005, 10:53 AM
So, pop music in general, then?

pop...most 'angst filled alternative' .... angst my ***...that's like sayin will smith came up in the rap game rappin that he was a gangsta :P

critical_phil
4/12/2005, 10:53 AM

yep........

is studio angst really angst at all ?????

My Opinion Matters
4/12/2005, 10:55 AM
Anything from the Korn/Limp Bizkit genre, I've always hated that crap.

mdklatt
4/12/2005, 10:57 AM
Anything from the Korn/Limp Bizkit genre, I've always hated that crap.

Korn and Limp Bizkit are in the same genre?

C&CDean
4/12/2005, 10:57 AM
Besides many that have already been mentioned (U2, Nirvana), my biggest thing is with all the "chick" rockers. They all sound exactly the same. They kinda remind me of when Pearl Jam started the grunge thing. Every band for about 5 years had to have the angst-ridden vocalist with a growling voice singing angry lyrics about **** that they don't have a clue about.

And rap. Any rap. I ****ing hate it. I've had to listen to it having 5 sons and all, but I just don't get it. My whole deal with music is talent. Can you play an instrument well? Can you sing well? Lyrics are pretty much filler for me. And when it's some electronically produced, mind-numbing throbbing drumbeat, with some dip**** in gold teeth going "muh****ah', muh****ah, muh****ah, kill the muh****in' ho, bling, hood, ghetto, kill the man, muh****ah, deucey deuce, Mac-9, OE fowdy, kill the muh****ah" I just can't stomach it.

My Opinion Matters
4/12/2005, 10:58 AM

Probably not. In which case, I hate both of those genres.

colleyvillesooner
4/12/2005, 10:58 AM

U2.

Ditto...clap, clap, clap-clap-clap...

critical_phil
4/12/2005, 10:59 AM

yep.

the Anthrax genre..............

My Opinion Matters
4/12/2005, 10:59 AM
Oh yeah, and not really a band, but Eminem.

And white people that listen to rap.

Sorry.

colleyvillesooner
4/12/2005, 11:00 AM

They used to be...

ou4me
4/12/2005, 11:00 AM
pop...most 'angst filled alternative' .... angst my ***...that's like sayin will smith came up in the rap game rappin that he was a gangsta :P

Angst filled alternative is about as angst filled as gangsta rap is gangsta filled.

Scott D
4/12/2005, 11:04 AM
Angst filled alternative is about as angst filled as gangsta rap is gangsta filled.

to a degree I'll agree.....unfortunately, some of the gangsta rappers have been dumb enough to live the lifestyle they're glorifying in song. I really don't care for that much either with the exception of a few artists, and most of them were ones that I listened to when i was younger. I'm more of an 'underground' rap kind of listener..I'll take Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, and Brother Ali over Fiddy Cent, Eminem, Snoop, and Jay-Z any day.

And Dean, there are actually some groups whom play instruments....convince one of your boys to listen to The Roots. :)

jk the sooner fan
4/12/2005, 11:05 AM
i'm gonna **** somebody off with this one..........

bruce springsteen........seriously......he's crap....whats IS the big deal about him?

GDC
U2

Veritas
And rap. Any rap. I ****ing hate it. I've had to listen to it having 5 sons and all, but I just don't get it. My whole deal with music is talent. Can you play an instrument well? Can you sing well? Lyrics are pretty much filler for me. And when it's some electronically produced, mind-numbing throbbing drumbeat, with some dip**** in gold teeth going "muh****ah', muh****ah, muh****ah, kill the muh****in' ho, bling, hood, ghetto, kill the man, muh****ah, deucey deuce, Mac-9, OE fowdy, kill the muh****ah" I just can't stomach it.
I have learned to make sure I don't have a mouthful of coffee before reading Dean's posts. :D

jk the sooner fan
4/12/2005, 11:06 AM

my sentiments exactly

colleyvillesooner
4/12/2005, 11:08 AM
U2

Wow that's 5 or 6 now....we might need to start a club :D

Widescreen
4/12/2005, 11:08 AM

bruce springsteen........seriously......he's crap....whats IS the big deal about him?

Yeah, I totally agree. He must have something going for him to be popular for this long. But I don't get it at all.

yermom
4/12/2005, 11:12 AM
i agree on U2, Rush and the "Boss"

hehe, but i have to retire from this thread, it's making my head hurt

otherwise, i might have to have unkind words with mdk :D

mdklatt
4/12/2005, 11:17 AM
Jimmy Buffet...don't how I left him off my first list
Bruce Springsteen

GDC
4/12/2005, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I totally agree. He must have something going for him to be popular for this long. But I don't get it at all.

I agree, I never quite understood what the fuss was about with Springsteen.

C&CDean
4/12/2005, 11:20 AM
Jimmy Buffet...don't how I left him off my first list
Bruce Springsteen

I'm with you on Springsteen, but you lost all cred when you said Elvis and The Beatles. I ain't crazy about either, but if you "don't get them" I gotta wonder what do you get?

GDC
4/12/2005, 11:31 AM

That new guy, "The Game" is so freaking phony and such an obvious record company put-on it's hilarious.

Scott D
4/12/2005, 11:32 AM
That new guy, "The Game" is so freaking phony and such an obvious record company put-on it's hilarious.

apusooner
4/12/2005, 11:34 AM
The White Stripes...they are awful.

and on the rap thing--it is kind of fun to see if you can figure out which song is being sampled in the background. i think it is at least, of course i did major in music

Scott D
4/12/2005, 11:37 AM
heh History of Jazz taught by that old guy at OU back in 94 changed my perspective on all music.....although one of the funniest music moments I've had was when I was listening to a Stevie Wonder's greatest hits cd, and Pasttime Paradise came on...the kid came running into the room and said "I thought you didn't like Coolio!" I looked at her and said "This is the Stevie Wonder song that idiot sampled."

Rhino
4/12/2005, 11:42 AM
Uncle Kracker, R. Kelly, pretty much every country band and artist (the exceptions being Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Steve Earle and a handful of red dirt bands)

=============

If you people want to hear real hip-hop, you're not going to hear it on the radio.

Go download A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots or Jurassic 5. Then get back to me about hip-hop. On the flip, if you hate Jay-Z, I probably hate you.

DCSooner
4/12/2005, 11:44 AM
I just cannot get into,

Rush
Beatles
Modest Mouse
ANY new country

And for the record, U2 is my favorite. Got tickets for the Dallas show BISQUICKS!!!!

mdklatt
4/12/2005, 11:46 AM
WTF is Modest Mouse? Never heard of them except for the dozen times they've been mentioned in this thread.

EDIT: I just went to their web site, which I'm not going to provide a link to because I'm not a hateful human being. The sample of "The World At Large" makes me want to jab a pen into my ears so that:

1) I puncture my eardrums and don't have to listen to it anymore.

2) I hopefully kill the part of my brain where the memory of that song resides.

yermom
4/12/2005, 11:52 AM
why all the hate on The Beatles? i think one of the most common CD's i hear musicians say is in their CD player is The White Album, lots of people have them as an influence

and all this talk about The White Stripes is making me very unhappy

i'm with Rhino on Jay-Z and the Roots... good stuff

yermom
4/12/2005, 11:53 AM
WTF is Modest Mouse? Never heard of them except for the dozen times they've been mentioned in this thread.

they have that "Float On" song that got over played there for a while

haven't heard too much about them lately

TUSooner
4/12/2005, 11:58 AM

My fairly wealthy friends (great friends bytheway) have a 20-someting son who's all into hip-hop. He's friends and "partners" with Pharell Williams's brother or something. (Pharell evidently being a big rap deal, but what do I know?) Daddy bought him a Navigator, rooms full of electronic recording gear, and college courses in electronic music. I haven't actually heard any of his music, but from talking to the family I perceive he's following the rap "raw hard life" orthodoxy. I can't figure out for the life of me what he's got to be angry about. Can you whine about being too spoiled?

mdklatt
4/12/2005, 11:59 AM
why all the hate on The Beatles?

I don't hate The Beatles, it's more of an "eh". Actually, I kinda sorta like a few of their songs, but given their enormous popularity this qualifies as an "I don't get it."

yermom
4/12/2005, 12:02 PM
I don't hate The Beatles, it's more of an "eh". Actually, I kinda sorta like a few of their songs, but given their enormous popularity this qualifies as an "I don't get it."

hehe, that one wasn't directed just at you

i just recently got back into them after a long time, they have SO much music out there...

TUSooner
4/12/2005, 12:11 PM
Not that I don't like them some, but...

Springsteen - I guess ya gotta be from Joisey

The Rolling Stones - Sure I liked some of their stuff (mostly older), and I've been to see em. But what's really there after the name? And when did Mick Jagger decide that understanding lyrics doesn't matter any more?

<returns to cave>

Scott D
4/12/2005, 12:11 PM
My fairly wealthy friends (great friends bytheway) have a 20-someting son who's all into hip-hop. He's friends and "partners" with Pharell Williams's brother or something. (Pharell evidently being a big rap deal, but what do I know?) Daddy bought him a Navigator, rooms full of electronic recording gear, and college courses in electronic music. I haven't actually heard any of his music, but from talking to the family I perceive he's following the rap "raw hard life" orthodoxy. I can't figure out for the life of me what he's got to be angry about. Can you whine about being too spoiled?

Sure, 'angst filled alternative bands' do it all the time.

I don't 'hate' Jay-Z Rhino....I'm just more of a Nas fan :P

Rhino
4/12/2005, 12:16 PM
Ugh. Nas is R. Kelly-horrible.

I feel the same way about Kanye West. My dislike for Kanye has less to do with his mediocre music and more to do with his primadonna attitude.

yermom
4/12/2005, 12:19 PM

NO ONE is R Kelly horrible

HoserSooner
4/12/2005, 12:31 PM
I can't get into The Beatles either. While I have total respect for what they did and what they started, the music just does nothing for me.

I hate any of that "Bling Bling" crap, where guys jump around thinking they are the 21st century's version of Mr. T. "Look at me, I've gots lots 'o gold". :confused:

Gay.

Charlie Sheen
4/12/2005, 12:35 PM
I don't get Nickleback.

Oh, wait. You said "Bands" not "S.O. posters."

I don't get Nickleback.

TUSooner
4/12/2005, 12:36 PM
For you Beatles-not-getters, try the White Album and don't think about who you are listening to. Feel free to skip Paul's syrupy blobs; you'll know them when you hear them. Just sayin...

OUthunder
4/12/2005, 12:45 PM
Rush
Pink Floyd
U2
Neil Young (Worst singing musician ****ing evar!!!)
Springsteen
Billy Joel (2nd worst singing musician ever)
Nirvana
The Eagles (I don't get it)

HoserSooner
4/12/2005, 12:46 PM

Worse than Bob Dylan? :eek:

TUSooner
4/12/2005, 12:51 PM
word

"Hotel California" could make the Hell sound track.

OUthunder
4/12/2005, 12:53 PM
Worse than Bob Dylan? :eek:

I knew I was leaving someone out.

He was it.

LosAngelesSooner
4/12/2005, 01:00 PM
Rush
Pink Floyd
U2
Springsteen
Nirvana
You clearly "just don't get" a thing called MUSIC.

LosAngelesSooner
4/12/2005, 01:01 PM
I knew I was leaving someone out.

He was it. OMG...

the herasy...

GottaHavePride
4/12/2005, 01:01 PM
The Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan. I just don't "get" them.

and as to hip-hop/rap, I don't like a lot of it for the same reasons Dean listed. However, some of those guys have talent. As an example: Mos Def. I've heard him rap off the top of his head, using five, six, and seven-syllable words, rhyming them correctly, and not resorting to cussing except where it actually means something. the crazy part was that he was selecting the words for the rhythmic patterns of consonants in them. (I'm a music geek, I notice stuff like that.)

Dean might agree with Mos Def:

Once upon a time not long ago
When people wore Adidas and lived life slow
When laws were stern and justice stood
And people was behavin' like hip-hop was good
There lived a little boy who was misled
By a little Sha-tan and this is what he said
"Me and you kid we gonna make some cash,
Jackin' old beats and makin' the dash..."

They jacked the beats, money came wit' ease
But son, he couldn't stop, it's like he had a disease
He jacked another and another, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder
Set some R & B over the track for 'Deep Cover'
The kid got wild startin' actin' erratic
He said "Yo, that presidential I got ta have it..."
Tryin' to pretend the ends justify the means
This ain't funny so don't you dare laugh
It's just what comes to pass when you sell your ***
Life is more than what your hands can grasp...

OUthunder
4/12/2005, 01:04 PM
You clearly "just don't get" a thing called MUSIC.

post reported.

C&CDean
4/12/2005, 01:13 PM

Well I would, but I'd probably just say it like:

Way back in the day,
a couple hacks were gay,
they ripped off older artists,
and thought they were the smartest,
but karma is a bitch, and **** has a way,
now the little pissants are gonna pay and pay....

Everybody say yo....

BudSooner
4/12/2005, 01:13 PM
Heh, LAS likes Springsteen...blech.
YO!
Hey Yo, Dean he gotta diss
all my little homies rap
cause the music makes him wanna ****
they say it ain't crap
if ya listen like this*hands over ears*
i wanna grab the mic and make it go snap!

GDC
4/12/2005, 01:15 PM
I don't get Nickleback.

Oh, wait. You said "Bands" not "S.O. posters."

I don't get Nickleback.

Hey Charlie, how was Chloe? Heard she goes for about $30K/night. :texan: :D

Okla-homey
4/12/2005, 01:21 PM
Dave Matthews Band...I always am a bit taken aback by the folks running the little Euro-oval sticker thingees that say "DMB."

C&CDean
4/12/2005, 01:22 PM
Heh, LAS likes Springsteen...blech.
YO!
Hey Yo, Dean he gotta diss
all my little homies rap
cause the music makes him wanna ****
they say it ain't crap
if ya listen like this*hands over ears*
i wanna grab the mic and make it go snap!

Absolute living proof that ANYBODY can "flow."

BudSooner
4/12/2005, 01:28 PM
Absolute living proof that ANYBODY can "flow."

Thanks Brau!:D
http://www.gothamist.com/images/2003_8_dogchapman.jpg

Interesting note-Dog is the bounty hunter who captured Andrew Luster...I did not know that.

VeeJay
4/12/2005, 01:30 PM
The Cure
Whitney Houston
...and lest we forget...The Steve Miller Band

VeeJay
4/12/2005, 01:35 PM

He's sort of an oxymoron of himself now that he's wealthy beyond his means. It used to be "Yeah, I'm Bruce Springsteen from Asbury Park, New Jersey. I grew up on the Jersey shore with hot rods and girls sitting in my lap."

Now, it's "Hey, everybody, now that I've sang 'Born To Run' let's go down to the polls and register to vote and cast your ballot for my guy, you know, the candidate for you, me and the working man, then I'm gonna have to get on my private jet and fly off someplace else."

Beef
4/12/2005, 01:36 PM
I know they were indirectly mentioned, but I don't get Linkin Park at all. Biggest whiners I've ever heard.

Soonerchaz
4/12/2005, 01:39 PM
Bright Eyes
I received one of their records as a gift and I really respect the gift givers taste in music...but I can't make it through. The little punk singer has talent...but the songs just grate.

Whoever mentioned The Grateful Dead...yup...dead on.

Jeff Buckley...so many folks just **** themselves over "Grace". It just doesn't do it for me. Funny thing is...I LOVE Tim Buckley.

Post-Summerteeth Wilco. Love...love...love Wilco...but Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born continue to gather dust. I'm gonna keep trying though.

mdklatt
4/12/2005, 01:42 PM
Bright Eyes
Jeff Buckley
Wilco

:confused:

I thought we were only supposed to list bands that people had heard of?

LosAngelesSooner
4/12/2005, 01:55 PM
post reported.

:rolleyes:

Uh...cool? Report away...

Scott D
4/12/2005, 02:01 PM

I feel the same way about Kanye West. My dislike for Kanye has less to do with his mediocre music and more to do with his primadonna attitude.

Nas' biggest problem is he has really ****ty production...some of his best tracks are when he gets into the studio with DJ Premier and even Alchemist, but he's too loyal to Remi Salaam who is just mediocre as a producer. I do agree with the fact that Kanye's entire issue is that he thinks he's god's gift to the industry...he's turned into the Puffy of Chicago to me..he's gotta get his mediocre skills on the microphone in basically every song he produces. His production skills are slightly above average as well...he's basically taken the same formula that Alchemist uses (especially his drum patterns) and tries to rehash it as something new.

Dean, I'm tellin ya...you really do need to hear some of the songs by The Roots....they play their own instruments. As for sampling...unless the entire song is the sample with nothing original in drum patterns or little twists in it, it's pure laziness....however using samples in songs really isn't much different than other groups (non rap) whom make remakes of songs, or take portions of riffs from other groups, because that goes on all the time as well.

C&CDean
4/12/2005, 02:23 PM
Scott,

The 3rd graders up at the school play those little flute thingies too. Damn, what the hell are they called (the little flute thingies, not the 3rd graders)? I sure don't wanna spend a whole lot of time listening to them.

Anyhow, my deal with music is this:

A turntable is not an instrument. A digital synthesizer (you know the ones with buttons instead of a keyboard?) is not an instrument. "Mixing" electronic sounds (bass, drums, etc.) is not playing an instrument. "Producing" is not a musical talent. I will admit it takes a good "ear" but not much else.

I can sometimes be spellbound by someone who is a virtuoso on his/her chosen instrument. I can enjoy music played by musicians who are not so much virtuosos, but who are proficient enough to put together a great musical package. I enjoy a great cello solo as much as I enjoy a Walter Trout screaming guitar solo. To me, it's all about the talent.

We're all musicians at heart. How many of us have fantasized about playing in a band? How many sing in the shower or in the car? Music has been identified as one of the 4 things a human has to have to be happy.

I like lots of "black" music. Blues is my favorite type of music. I love jazz. I love old R&B, and some new R&B. I like Prince.

But I just cannot stand the whole rap thing. My disgust for the whole genre makes it difficult for me to even pay attention the minute I hear the "ba dap dap dap" of a fakey drumbeat. I just envision some dildo in a dew rag with a yankees hat on over it, shades, teeth, wife beater over baggy-assed jeans, and the whole "hand" thingie going on. I swear to God, if you tied a rappers hands behind his back he couldn't speak a word. Seriously, WTF is it with the hands?

A 9 year old semi-retarded Chinese child can "flow." No great talent there. Of course if he was flowing in a voice like Pavaroti, or Robert Plant, or even muh****in' Buddy Guy, then I might be more inclined to listen and like. But nooooo. It's always the same "I'm a bad muh****ah and da bitches be likin' it" in my most bestest ghetto thang. pfffft.

And I feel almost as strongly about the "growl" of the whole angst/grunge voice too.

Beef
4/12/2005, 02:30 PM
Scott,

The 3rd graders up at the school play those little flute thingies too. Damn, what the hell are they called (the little flute thingies, not the 3rd graders)?
Recorders?

C&CDean
4/12/2005, 02:31 PM
Recorders?

guhzactly

Thanks Beef. You do actually serve a useful purpose.

Dio
4/12/2005, 02:31 PM
red dirt bands.

critical_phil
4/12/2005, 02:33 PM
The 3rd graders up at the school play those little flute thingies too. Damn, what the hell are they called ...........

stanley candy ?????????

mdklatt
4/12/2005, 02:43 PM
red dirt bands

Charlie Sheen
4/12/2005, 02:43 PM
Hey Charlie, how was Chloe? Heard she goes for about $30K/night. :texan: :D

It was $15,000 for the night.

I didn't ask her to marry me. If you doubt that, read my sig.

http://web1.ami-admin.com/perl/trackimage.pl?I=59701&H=iwon%2Ecom&Image=http%3A%2F%2Fweb1%2Eami-admin%2Ecom%2Fimages%2F49448%2Ejpg

She was ai'ight.

Jenna Jameson is better.

Jenny Carlson wrote this reply for me.

I wouldn't stab that if she paid ME.

Word.

Scott D
4/12/2005, 02:52 PM
That's what I'm trying to tell ya Dean...The Roots are more of a rap band than a rap group...they have the standard guitar, bass, drums setup that most bands have, and they actually play them in addition to rapping :)

GDC
4/12/2005, 02:52 PM
It was $15,000 for the night.

I didn't ask her to marry me. If you doubt that, read my sig.

She was ai'ight.

Jenna Jameson is better.

Jenny Carlson wrote this reply for me.

I wouldn't stab that if she paid ME.

Word.

heh, spek :texan: :D

SoonerInKCMO
4/12/2005, 03:11 PM
Hmm...

U2
Rush
Dave Matthews
Grunge of any sort
Any boy band where the boys have nasally, whiny voices. If you're a singing man, sound like you're a damn man when you sing.
Any chick whose choreography is more important than her singing. If you have to use backing tracks at your concerts because you're too winded from gyrating around the stage to be able to sing well, then maybe you should get into another line of work.
Beatles. They a'ight - I just don't get their phenomenal popularity. Maybe if I were older.
Bob Dylan
'The Boss'
Anything that has ever been at the top of the 'College Radio' charts. I mean, really :confused:

SoonerProphet
4/12/2005, 03:12 PM
I dig The Boss. Can't understand how some folks don't understand Floyd..imo Roger Waters is a god...but hey, to each their own.

I never understood the fascination with folk singers, like S&G, blech.

Fugue
4/12/2005, 03:17 PM
Barry, I mean what is it with that guy? freakin' cheater. :mad:

Red October
4/12/2005, 03:46 PM
My List:

The Eagles
Willie Nelson
ACDC
Air Supply
Steely Dan
Charlie Daniels

The biggest mystery is: Cake. WTF???? Not talented, and just really bad music.

JohnnyMack
4/12/2005, 03:49 PM
The Dead
Nirvana
Smashing Pumpkins

OUAndy1807
4/12/2005, 04:37 PM
I ****ing hate the Eagles, and I hate Don Henley.

mrowl
4/12/2005, 04:40 PM
Weezer
Green Day
U2

BigRedJed
4/12/2005, 04:46 PM
I take a lot of satisfaction that The Flaming Lips have yet to be mentioned. Of course, that could mean nobody in this thread knows who the **** The Flaming Lips are.

My votes:

Springsteen - (clap, clap) oh-verated!

Pearl Jam - Frankly I like(d) them, but I never thought they were "all that." Nirvana broke new ground. I don't know that PJ did.

I disagree with some of the White Stripes bashing, and at the same time agree. I think they blew up to quickly and there was a backlash. They have been built up to be the next, I don't know... ...something. They are NOT the second coming of Zeppelin, or something like that. They're not breaking new ground. That said, if you just accept that they are derivative, you can still enjoy the fact that they can ****ing ROCK.

Soonerchaz
4/12/2005, 05:44 PM

I thought we were only supposed to list bands that people had heard of?

:( What am I supposed to say? I'm sure there are others here that have heard of these guys (Bright Eyes/Jeff Buckely/Wilco). They've all sold at least several hundred thousand records.

Just offering something different.

DCSooner
4/12/2005, 05:47 PM
I take a lot of satisfaction that The Flaming Lips have yet to be mentioned. Of course, that could mean nobody in this thread knows who the **** The Flaming Lips are.

My votes:

Springsteen - (clap, clap) oh-verated!

Pearl Jam - Frankly I like(d) them, but I never thought they were "all that." Nirvana broke new ground. I don't know that PJ did.

I disagree with some of the White Stripes bashing, and at the same time agree. I think they blew up to quickly and there was a backlash. They have been built up to be the next, I don't know... ...something. They are NOT the second coming of Zeppelin, or something like that. They're not breaking new ground. That said, if you just accept that they are derivative, you can still enjoy the fact that they can ****ing ROCK.
Dude, you don't have U2's back??????

Scott D
4/12/2005, 05:54 PM
heh, I know this is a broken record, but here's a bio on The Roots

Though popular success has largely eluded the Roots, the Philadelphia group showed the way for live rap, building on Stetsasonic's "hip-hop band" philosophy of the mid-'80s by focusing on live instrumentation at their concerts and in the studio. Though their album works have been inconsistent affairs, more intent on building grooves than pushing songs, the Roots' live shows are among the best in the business.

The Roots' focus on live music began back in 1987 when rapper Black Thought (Tariq Trotter) and drummer ?uestlove (Ahmir Khalib Thompson) became friends at the Philadelphia High School for Creative Performing Arts. Since the duo had no money for the DJ essentials -- two turntables and a microphone, plus a mixer and plenty of vinyl -- they recreated classic hip-hop tracks with ?uestlove's drum kit backing Black Thought's rhymes. Playing around school, on the sidewalk, and later at talent shows, the pair began to earn money and hooked up with bassist Hub (Leon Hubbard) and rapper Malik B. Moving from the street to local clubs, the Roots became a highly tipped underground act around Philadelphia and New York. When the group was invited to represent stateside hip-hop at a concert in Germany, they recorded an album to sell at shows; the result, Organix, was released in 1993 on Remedy Records. With a music-industry buzz surrounding their activities, the Roots entertained offers from several labels before signing with DGC that same year

IronSooner
4/12/2005, 06:10 PM
I'm surprised how many on here don't like U2 and Springsteen. Oh well.

My list:
Nirvana
Rush
Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
Coldplay
White Stripes
Modest Mouse
The Killers
Any of the new "alternative" crap. Can't stand it. All sounds the same.

critical_phil
4/12/2005, 06:15 PM
way to go scott.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/critical_phil/deadhorse.jpg

soonerspiff
4/12/2005, 06:23 PM
One I haven't seen mentioned is Bjork. I have a friend who just loves her but other than a few songs, I really can't get into her music. The same goes with Jeff Buckley. He has an amazing voice, I'll give him that, but I just don't like a lot of his melodies.

Other than that here are a few:
Springsteen
ACDC - I can't stand them...
The Eagles
Motley Crue - another band I really really hate

BudSooner
4/12/2005, 06:41 PM
ACDC
Oh come on now Spiff, whats not to like about them? I'm still hooked on them..mainly the old stuff. Anything newer than Back in Black just plain sucks.

I forgot one group, and I'm going to get beaten over the head for this-LED ZEPPLIN!
just the sound of Robert Plants voice gives me the urge to take a dump.

BigRedJed
4/12/2005, 06:45 PM
Dude, you don't have U2's back??????Yeah, I've got U2's back. They're freaking awesome. All of you naysayers can suck it. Do you hear me talking to you, BSG? Up yours!

mrowl
4/12/2005, 06:59 PM
bonos hair plugs are what ruined it for me.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/12/2005, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I've got U2's back. They're freaking awesome. All of you naysayers can suck it. Do you hear me talking to you, BSG? Up yours!

I see your lips moving but...

BigRedJed
4/12/2005, 07:29 PM
Sweetie, my lips are Flaming. Get it right.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/12/2005, 07:31 PM
I think I can take you.

BigRedJed
4/12/2005, 07:32 PM
You might want to keep your distance. That flaming lips thing is catching.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/12/2005, 07:33 PM
Must...resist....evil....

SoonerObsession
4/12/2005, 08:15 PM
The Rolling Stones!

I get them, I just think they suck.... <duck>

I kind of liked "No Satisfaction", but that's about it.

Rhino
4/12/2005, 10:00 PM
Godsmack.

RacerX
4/12/2005, 10:18 PM
Wow. I agree and disagree with a lot of people here.

Frozen Sooner
4/13/2005, 02:20 AM
I absolutely have to say WTF to some of you people and your alleged taste in music.

That being said, here's some of my bands that get way too much critical acclaim for not being that great:

Rachel Yamagata.
Fiona Apple. One good song. That's it. And yes, I've heard the album that Sony thought was too terrible to release.
Bright Eyes-I recognize the talent, I just don't like the music.
Beck-Same. Though there's a few tunes of his I like.
The Sugarcubes/Bjork
10,000 Maniacs/Natalie Merchant
The Streets
The White Stripes. Dude's a hell of a guitarist, but...
Queens of the Stone Age. Decent rockers, but don't deserve the attention
Franz Ferdinand. Haven't heard a single thing from them I've liked.
The Killers

LosAngelesSooner
4/13/2005, 04:04 AM
I have three

Beck
Seal
Yo Yo Ma

They're all considered "geniuses," but I've heard better.

4/13/2005, 04:21 AM
I think you have to see Yo Yo Ma live to fully appreciate him. I did recently and, well, "WOW WOW MA!"

Zeppelin. Hate 'em. Always have. Tried desperately to like them to no avail.

The Boss. I agree with JK. This guy just isn't someone I want to work for.

U2. Again, I tried, they sucked.

afs
4/13/2005, 07:50 AM
Rush

C&CDean
4/13/2005, 08:47 AM
WTF?

I suppose I can understand somebody not caring for Led Zeppelin (I mean if you're just a loser dickhead dildo buttwipe and all), but if you don't "get them" then you're also a retard.

I can understand people who don't like Rush, as it is strictly an acquired taste. Only music afficiandos and people with a true ear for talent can appreciate them. Average to below average folks just don't get them.

Lots of hate on The Eagles. I can't stand the egomaniac Don Henley, but "Best of my Love" got many a pair of skivvies to drop back in the day. All their early stuff rocked, and if you ever get a chance to see them live, do it.

And Yo Yo Ma rocks. Big time. So does Yanni (which I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet). So does John Tesh. Surprise, surprise.

4/13/2005, 08:52 AM
Yanni.

Who's the retard NOW?

Fugue
4/13/2005, 08:54 AM
I think Yanny and Tesh are horribly overrated but what they do well is surround themselves with lots of people who can actually play. Heck, I'm not even sure Yanny's keyboard is turned on. All he has to do is flip his horselike mullet around.
Yo Yo isn't bad but he's like a hip new blues guitarist while in the back of your head you know that in many a hole in the wall bar there are much better musicians. Just my 2 cents.

BigRedJed
4/13/2005, 08:57 AM
I'm surprised how many on here don't like U2 and Springsteen. Oh well.

My list:
Nirvana
Rush
Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
Coldplay
White Stripes
Modest Mouse
The Killers
Any of the new "alternative" crap. Can't stand it. All sounds the same.You are dead to me. And once again, "the Boss" sucks.

BigRedJed
4/13/2005, 09:00 AM
I absolutely have to say WTF to some of you people and your alleged taste in music.

That being said, here's some of my bands that get way too much critical acclaim for not being that great:

...Fiona Apple. One good song. That's it. And yes, I've heard the album that Sony thought was too terrible to release...

...Beck-Same. Though there's a few tunes of his I like.
The Sugarcubes/Bjork
The KillersYou sir, also dead. Dead, I say.

Although I agree about Fiona Apple, and as I've said before, the White Stripes aren't all that.

soonerspiff
4/13/2005, 09:01 AM
Tesh sucks except for the "NBA on NBC" jingle. That rocked.

C&CDean
4/13/2005, 09:01 AM
Yanni.

Who's the retard NOW?

Uh, you?

I think he's just an average front man, but the folks he assembles have more talent in their pinkies than most of the groups mentioned in this thread.

Of course there's no mix-master K-Y Jellyroll in his group, so that means he's gotta suck.....

4/13/2005, 09:04 AM
ROTFLMMFAO!!!!!!

Not really.

I wish I liked Zeppelin. It would save me a lot of time surfing the radio.

KC//CRIMSON
4/13/2005, 09:09 AM
WTF?

I suppose I can understand somebody not caring for Led Zeppelin (I mean if you're just a loser dickhead dildo buttwipe and all), but if you don't "get them" then you're also a retard.

I can understand people who don't like Rush, as it is strictly an acquired taste. Only music afficiandos and people with a true ear for talent can appreciate them. Average to below average folks just don't get them.

Lots of hate on The Eagles. I can't stand the egomaniac Don Henley, but "Best of my Love" got many a pair of skivvies to drop back in the day. All their early stuff rocked, and if you ever get a chance to see them live, do it.

And Yo Yo Ma rocks. Big time. So does Yanni (which I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet). So does John Tesh. Surprise, surprise.

That can be said for just about every band on this thread.... :cool:

BigRedJed
4/13/2005, 09:10 AM
Heh. Dean likes Yanni.

C&CDean
4/13/2005, 09:11 AM
Alright 12, who do you like?

I'm with you on Springsteen (he's got a worse underbite than my rat terrier, and a worse voice than Dylan). And I'm with you on U2 (no-talent rythym/chord strumming tater heads). But Zep? Who can't start rocking out when the opening riff of "Heartbreaker" starts?

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2005, 09:13 AM
or kashmere.......love that song

C&CDean
4/13/2005, 09:14 AM
Or The Lemon Song?

4/13/2005, 09:17 AM
I'm a huge fan of Steely Dan. I like Steppenwolf. There isn't much better than Van Morrison's And It Stoned Me on a rainy night.

Listen, I don't mind you peeing on my tires and stuff, but the "loser dickhead dildo buttwipe" stuff is a little over the top.

Sorry I don't like your band. It really isn't a personal issue.

C&CDean
4/13/2005, 09:27 AM
I'm a huge fan of Steely Dan. I like Steppenwolf. There isn't much better than Van Morrison's And It Stoned Me on a rainy night.

Listen, I don't mind you peeing on my tires and stuff, but the "loser dickhead dildo buttwipe" stuff is a little over the top.

Sorry I don't like your band. It really isn't a personal issue.

I don't recall saying "12 is a loser dickhead dildo buttwipe." However, there are certain criteria that categorize folks. And Led Zeppelin ain't "my band." But they are in most everyone's Top-5 R&R bands of all time.

Steely Dan are alright. A little one-dimensional, but I like them. I also like Steppenwolf. And CCR. And I've got lots of Van Morrison. But my "rainy night" song is "Into the Mystic."

4/13/2005, 09:30 AM
Okie dokie. Rock on.

picasso
4/13/2005, 09:35 AM
oh man, CCR? they suck much 60's-70's ***. John Fogerty? heh.

C&CDean
4/13/2005, 09:35 AM
Rock out.

C&CDean
4/13/2005, 09:36 AM
oh man, CCR? they suck much 60's-70's ***. John Fogerty? heh.

And now the artist formerly known as someone with talent shows up.....

BigRedJed
4/13/2005, 09:38 AM
This thread rocks.

Soonerchaz
4/13/2005, 09:40 AM

Rachel Yamagata.
Fiona Apple. One good song. That's it. And yes, I've heard the album that Sony thought was too terrible to release.
Bright Eyes-I recognize the talent, I just don't like the music.
Beck-Same. Though there's a few tunes of his I like.
The Sugarcubes/Bjork
The Streets
Queens of the Stone Age. Decent rockers, but don't deserve the attention
The Killers

Pretty solid list...and I mostly agree. I can handle Beck...and "Sea Change" from a few years back was probably his best. Franz Ferdinand? Good summer music (if you know what I mean)...nothing more...nothing less.

And glad someone else shares my feelings on Bright Eyes.

OUthunder
4/13/2005, 09:44 AM
I forgot one.

The Dixie Chicks. I hate em!

My Opinion Matters
4/13/2005, 09:52 AM
Someone said it. AC/DC.

I hate their music, and I don't want to like it. I always change the radio whenever they come on.

Rhino
4/13/2005, 11:37 AM
Yawny.

Steely Dan aren't musicians.

boomersooner28
4/13/2005, 11:58 AM
Didn't read throught the whole thread, but this one is easy for me.....

"NO DOUBT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get it....Gwen's voice annoys tha hell outta me!

Howzit
4/13/2005, 12:08 PM
Steely Dan aren't musicians.

Please elaborate. You mean Fagan and Becker aren't musicians? Or Steely Dan is Fagan and Becker plus and everchanging cast of studio musicians?

I've always liked Steely Dan because the guitar was unpredictable - the riffs took unexpected twists and turns. Becker is good at this, and back when Jeff Baxter sat in a bunch he was really good at it. I think Bodhisattva was Baxter playing, but whoever it was , it's a perfect example of what I am talking about and what I liked in Steely Dan.

Led Zepplin is one of my all-time favorites, largely because of my age. They were gods when I was a teenager, and I believe whoever one idolizes in their formative teen years is who one tends to think of as "greatness."

TUSooner
4/13/2005, 12:15 PM
CONFESSION: With very few exceptions, I really don't "get" any popular or rock music that was recorded after, say, 1969. Hell, I don't even recognize half the bands mentioned on this thread. And of the other half, I could hardly identify a single song, unless maybe you played it for me and I'd say, "Ohh, THAT's them." So my posts on this thread should all be ignored (except this one), and I apologize to those of you who made life-changing decisions based on my previous posts. Wow, confession IS good for the soul! That is all.

Howzit
4/13/2005, 12:17 PM
1969? I could see 1974, MAYBE 1973, but 1969? There was some great music put out between '69 and '74!

Not so much since then...

BigRedJed
4/13/2005, 12:18 PM
1969? I could see 1974, MAYBE 1973, but 1969? There was some great music put out between '69 and '74!

Not so much since then...Phhhht.

Howzit
4/13/2005, 12:20 PM
heh.

TUSooner
4/13/2005, 12:31 PM

Not so much since then...
I guess I just wasn't paying attention. I heard all kinds of stuff and liked some, still do. But I never got fired up enough to buy a lot of records or really get familiar with anybody. And I just didn't hear anything popular to match the creativity, ingenuity, and expressiveness of the Beatles in their post-mop-top years (i.e., the drug influenced years before they imploded). I'd guess that 80% or more of the music I bought or actually listened to from 1970 to the present has been classical or some other non-popular music. I must have the "musically unhip" gene. :eek:

LosAngelesSooner
4/13/2005, 01:26 PM
WTF?

I can't believe this, but...

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to C&CDean again.

Rhino
4/13/2005, 02:26 PM
Please elaborate. You mean Fagan and Becker aren't musicians? Or Steely Dan is Fagan and Becker plus and everchanging cast of studio musicians?

I've always liked Steely Dan because the guitar was unpredictable - the riffs took unexpected twists and turns. Becker is good at this, and back when Jeff Baxter sat in a bunch he was really good at it. I think Bodhisattva was Baxter playing, but whoever it was , it's a perfect example of what I am talking about and what I liked in Steely Dan. The first time I heard Steely Dan's 'Gaucho', I...

A) Was struck by just how seamless their jazz/rock alloy had become, yet was deeply disturbed by the coked-out ennui and unadulterated decadence that they had descended into. Becker and Fagen captured an atmosphere of total burned-out collapse on the record that is unmatched.

B) Turned it off. I ****ing hate Steely Dan. Boring bastards.

C) Thought I'd never get 'Hey, Nineteen' out of my head.

D) Fell asleep.

C&CDean
4/13/2005, 02:34 PM
The first time I heard Steely Dan's 'Gaucho', I...

A) Was struck by just how seamless their jazz/rock alloy had become, yet was deeply disturbed by the coked-out ennui and unadulterated decadence that they had descended into. Becker and Fagen captured an atmosphere of total burned-out collapse on the record that is unmatched.

B) Turned it off. I ****ing hate Steely Dan. Boring bastards.

C) Thought I'd never get 'Hey, Nineteen' out of my head.

D) Fell asleep.

Gaucho is the worst SD record. Ever. Well right after Aja.

Can't Buy a Thrill is a pretty good album though.

And Rhino, I ain't buying the "deeply disturbed by the coked-out ennui and unadulterated decadence" bull****. Not for a second. You know as well as I that anything SD did was lameo and weinie when compared to todays "artists." Half of today's artists use "muh****ah" as a verb, noun, pronoun AND adjective in their "music."

Howzit
4/13/2005, 02:37 PM
Rhino, you do realize they recorded other material...;)

4/13/2005, 02:40 PM
I think Steely Dan probably put on the most complete, amazing concert of any I have seen.

Oh, and anyone who ever listened to the Gaucho album more than once is a loser dickhead dildo buttwipe.

Rhino
4/13/2005, 02:45 PM
C'mon people. You think I wrote that myself?

http://www.metalcity.org/archives/000192.php

Howzit
4/13/2005, 02:47 PM
No.

Widescreen
4/13/2005, 02:57 PM
I believe whoever one idolizes in their formative teen years is who one tends to think of as "greatness."

Loverboy. True greatness. :D

TUSooner
4/13/2005, 02:58 PM
"Reeling in the Years" is a good song. Thus endeth my sayings of Steely Dan.

"The things you think are precious, I can't understand."

Scott D
4/13/2005, 03:06 PM
I've never been a fan of Rush or Pink Floyd....I think my not being a fan of Rush is partly cuz I thought the singer's voice was an annoying pitch...and more importantly the fact that they are Canadian ;). Tom Sawyer is an ok song though...and I've developed more of a tolerance for them now than I had 10 years ago.

My wife loves Pink Floyd....I've just never heard anything by them that makes me go "Wow". Besides, anyone who allegedly has an entire CD that is a musical score/soundtrack to The Wizard of Oz should be shot, not beloved :P

C&CDean
4/13/2005, 03:09 PM
C'mon people. You think I wrote that myself?

http://www.metalcity.org/archives/000192.php

Muh****in' Rhino......

Howzit
4/13/2005, 03:11 PM
Aw c'mon Dean, I knew no ****in' hillbilly done wrote that...

mandrake
4/13/2005, 03:40 PM
my list:

Rolling Stones - Jagger never could sing
Van Halen - just plain overrated
Springsteen - a few decent songs, but mostly boring
Dylan - how'd he win all those grammys?
Grateful Dead - i'm not enough of a stoner to appreciate them
Eric Clapton - O-VER-RAT-ED and is a lousy songwriter
Dave Matthews - blech
those weird sounding bands that bri likes

And for all the Rush dissers, you have no taste. That is all. :D

Sooner_Havok
4/13/2005, 03:42 PM
Kiss-WTF are they supposed to be anyway?
Damn Yankees- Love the Nuge, but....
Poison
Elton John
Dave Mathews
Rap

Sooner_Havok
4/13/2005, 03:45 PM
Rush, Zeppelin, and AC/DC rock out loud bisnitches!!!

GDC
4/13/2005, 03:48 PM
Rush, Zeppelin, and AC/DC rock out loud bisnitches!!!

If you don't "get" those three, there is no hope for you :texan:

My Opinion Matters
4/13/2005, 09:59 PM
Styx.

Oh god, I hate that band so much.

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2005, 10:00 PM
Styx.

Oh god, I hate that band so much.

you are dead to me

My Opinion Matters
4/13/2005, 10:01 PM
you are dead to me

This hardly qualifies as news.

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2005, 10:05 PM
well before you were just sorta dead.....now you're like the pope, in 3 coffins on display for the world to see how dead you are

My Opinion Matters
4/13/2005, 10:10 PM
I can't believe you, or anyone that doesn't have a feeding tube for that matter, actually likes Sticks.

I'm not giving you any slack on this just because you're old either.

Hearing their music makes me physically angry. Seriously.

MamaMia
4/13/2005, 10:11 PM
Has anyone said 'DEVO' yet? Those boys were very strange. :eek:

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2005, 10:13 PM
I can't believe you, or anyone that doesn't have a feeding tube for that matter, actually likes Sticks.

I'm not giving you any slack on this just because you're old either.

Hearing their music makes me physically angry. Seriously.

they're older stuff was actually pretty good.....mr roboto sucked hard, and they had another album that was very "soft"......but before that they were good

they were popular when i was in high school....which was probably when you were still in diapers

My Opinion Matters
4/13/2005, 10:25 PM
You're saying that you're so old that you remember when they didn't suck that hard. Which is the same as me saying I'm old enough to remember to when Michael Jackson wasn't a child-molesting, doorstop-nosed, testerone-suppressed, partially-overly-surgically-artificial mulatto freak.

Doesn't change the here and now.

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2005, 10:26 PM
i'm saying i graduated in 81....when they were good

i like(d) them.....

My Opinion Matters
4/13/2005, 10:27 PM

i like(d) them.....

Oh, I know you liked them. Up until about 15 minutes ago. ;)

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2005, 10:28 PM
listen to the guitar track on Lady.....

My Opinion Matters
4/13/2005, 10:29 PM
listen to the guitar track on Lady.....

You're just trying to anatagonize me now.

jk the sooner fan
4/13/2005, 10:31 PM
i think this is hardly news

SoonerObsession
4/14/2005, 03:07 PM
ABBA - I feel lunch coming up!

Widescreen
4/14/2005, 03:32 PM

i like(d) them.....

Paradise Theater. Great album.

jk the sooner fan
4/14/2005, 03:39 PM
Paradise Theater. Great album.

yeah but after that, not so good

RiddlerOK
4/14/2005, 03:44 PM
my sentiments exactly
Ditto...................

RiddlerOK
4/14/2005, 04:00 PM
The Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan. I just don't "get" them.

and as to hip-hop/rap, I don't like a lot of it for the same reasons Dean listed. However, some of those guys have talent. As an example: Mos Def. I've heard him rap off the top of his head, using five, six, and seven-syllable words, rhyming them correctly, and not resorting to cussing except where it actually means something. the crazy part was that he was selecting the words for the rhythmic patterns of consonants in them. (I'm a music geek, I notice stuff like that.)

I can understand your not getting the Grateful Dead. They were an improvisational act therefore, you should never listen to their music with high expectations that you're going to get it. They're just jamming, that's all.

As for Bob Dylan, he was the voice of an angst-ridden generation that was coming of age in the early 60's. Unless you lived during that time,...............ok, the expectation levels again. True, he really hasn't put anything of note out since 1968, but that's more of a commercialized music fan's perspective, which just proves the point that music isn't about the meaning anymore than it's about who's going to capitalize on the next big money haul from an album cut.

I didn't grow up listening to Bob Dylan, because he was a generation ahead of me but, I do understand his message more clearly nowadays.

As for those who don't get Bruce Springsteen, I agree with you. As I get older, I realize he was just nothing more than the product of media hype from 1973-1984 and he played it well, especially on Born To Run. He may have been a great rocker (and he certainly had one of the great live supporting casts in the E Street Band) but, his message wasn't anything groundbreaking. Maybe that's why it took him so long to hit the big time.

Bands I don't care to understand:

Slipknot
Modest Mouse
White Stripes (to a small degree)
Just about any non-hiphop rap group out today
Any low-fi emo band trying to make it big

Depressing, absolutely depressing. There's no joy in their music. It's all hate, depression and more hate. A sad commentary on our current musical tastes.

OK, stepping down from my soapbox.

RiddlerOK
4/14/2005, 04:06 PM
Alright 12, who do you like?

I'm with you on Springsteen (he's got a worse underbite than my rat terrier, and a worse voice than Dylan). And I'm with you on U2 (no-talent rythym/chord strumming tater heads). But Zep? Who can't start rocking out when the opening riff of "Heartbreaker" starts?

Led Zeppelin II, III, IV and Houses of the Holy............... a grand slam of albums!

RiddlerOK
4/14/2005, 04:13 PM
Anyhow, my deal with music is this:

A turntable is not an instrument. A digital synthesizer (you know the ones with buttons instead of a keyboard?) is not an instrument. "Mixing" electronic sounds (bass, drums, etc.) is not playing an instrument. "Producing" is not a musical talent. I will admit it takes a good "ear" but not much else.

I can sometimes be spellbound by someone who is a virtuoso on his/her chosen instrument. I can enjoy music played by musicians who are not so much virtuosos, but who are proficient enough to put together a great musical package. I enjoy a great cello solo as much as I enjoy a Walter Trout screaming guitar solo. To me, it's all about the talent.

We're all musicians at heart. How many of us have fantasized about playing in a band? How many sing in the shower or in the car? Music has been identified as one of the 4 things a human has to have to be happy.

I like lots of "black" music. Blues is my favorite type of music. I love jazz. I love old R&B, and some new R&B. I like Prince.

But I just cannot stand the whole rap thing. My disgust for the whole genre makes it difficult for me to even pay attention the minute I hear the "ba dap dap dap" of a fakey drumbeat. I just envision some dildo in a dew rag with a yankees hat on over it, shades, teeth, wife beater over baggy-assed jeans, and the whole "hand" thingie going on. I swear to God, if you tied a rappers hands behind his back he couldn't speak a word. Seriously, WTF is it with the hands?

A 9 year old semi-retarded Chinese child can "flow." No great talent there. Of course if he was flowing in a voice like Pavaroti, or Robert Plant, or even muh****in' Buddy Guy, then I might be more inclined to listen and like. But nooooo. It's always the same "I'm a bad muh****ah and da bitches be likin' it" in my most bestest ghetto thang. pfffft.

And I feel almost as strongly about the "growl" of the whole angst/grunge voice too.

My sentiments exactly....................................

royalfan5
11/16/2006, 05:44 PM
It still baffles me how the Black Eyed Peas are popular. Radiohead does nothing but make me sleepy, and want to punch the people that like them. I never got much out of Built to Spill either. All the interchangeable Killer's and Killeresque bands,(Muse, I'm looking in your general direction), Pantera, Willie Nelson, O.A.R.

TexasSooner01
11/16/2006, 06:03 PM
I have never been able to get U2.

My 9year old likes Big & Rich (the country guys) Ughhhhhh....they sound like a cat w/its tail slamed in a door!

And who in the **** is Modest Mouse?

I absolutely HATE rap. Seriously, if you cant sing...you dont have the talent...find another job!

yermom
11/16/2006, 06:12 PM
It still baffles me how the Black Eyed Peas are popular. Radiohead does nothing but make me sleepy, and want to punch the people that like them. I never got much out of Built to Spill either. All the interchangeable Killer's and Killeresque bands,(Muse, I'm looking in your general direction), Pantera, Willie Nelson, O.A.R.

where did Pantera come from in all that?

proud gonzo
11/16/2006, 06:12 PM
The Doors
Fleetwood Mac

yermom
11/16/2006, 06:13 PM
I have never been able to get U2.

My 9year old likes Big & Rich (the country guys) Ughhhhhh....they sound like a cat w/its tail slamed in a door!

And who in the **** is Modest Mouse?

I absolutely HATE rap. Seriously, if you cant sing...you dont have the talent...find another job!

for the most part i agree about U2, but there are a few songs by them that are just amazing. i'd say the same thing about the Rolling Stones

royalfan5
11/16/2006, 06:16 PM

where did Pantera come from in all that?
I got on a momentery roll. They Might be Giants can **** off too. Now that I thought about it some more

yermom
11/16/2006, 06:18 PM
The Doors
Fleetwood Mac

dead.

to.

me.

JohnnyMack
11/16/2006, 06:19 PM
Radiohead RMFO bugeater.

JohnnyMack
11/16/2006, 06:19 PM
In my office we've sent unworthy musicians to the "Island of No Return". I sent Fleetwood Mac off and my boss sent Gloria Estefan.

proud gonzo
11/16/2006, 06:44 PM
dead.

to.

me.
can't stand jim morrison and stevie nicks

sanantoniosooner
11/16/2006, 06:47 PM
Aaron Neville

yermom
11/16/2006, 06:49 PM
Aaron Neville

ooh, now we're talking

then combine him with Linda Ronstadt

*shudder*

royalfan5
11/16/2006, 06:59 PM
I need to mention the worthlessness that is Trace Adkins too.

KC//CRIMSON
11/16/2006, 08:04 PM
Radiohead RMFO bugeater.

Ditto.:cool:

yermom
11/16/2006, 08:19 PM
fags

sanantoniosooner
11/16/2006, 08:44 PM
Black Eyed Peas

soonerboomer93
11/16/2006, 08:46 PM
wow

some of you are dead to me

MamaMia
11/16/2006, 08:57 PM
wow

some of you are dead to meThose Bevo or Divo people with the cone hats who danced like jumping beans. I do not get them. :P

soonerboomer93
11/16/2006, 09:08 PM
Bush
Live

most rap
most country

soonerboomer93
11/16/2006, 09:09 PM
Those Bevo or Divo people with the cone hats who danced like jumping beans. I do not get them. :P

Yes, they were strange

actually, I'm refering to the Pink Floyd haters out there

yermom
11/16/2006, 09:17 PM
ooh, Bush

11/18/2006, 10:13 AM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/zebthethird/frozframe.jpg

I've tried to get the Led out, friend. And I guess I can see why people like them. It just doesn't work for me.

Just to pile it on myself, Bob Seger and Skynyrd also warrant an immediate station change for me.

I like Hendrix, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple... so it isn't a matter of commercial appeal. Most of the Sabbath stuff is crap. Hendrix took a few musical dumps himself. But there is so much good material from them that I can still enjoy listening.

I like the Yonder Mountaing Stringband.

I like them like an old liking thing.

11/18/2006, 10:13 AM
Oh, this was a reply to Dean from page 8, I think.

Cam
11/18/2006, 11:00 AM
I'll probably get negged like hell for this...

The Flaming Lips

Average at best IMO.

SoonerObsession
11/18/2006, 11:17 AM
You know, I'm glad God created free will. He wanted people to chose Him, not be forced to obey Him. But I think He should have forced people to see things the way I see them because if you think differently than me, it hurts my feelings. ;) How in the world can you not see that U2 is one of the best rock bands of all time?

WILBURJIM
11/18/2006, 12:35 PM
Bob Seger, he is like a God up here in Michigan. He just started his tour last week, a couple miles from my home. He hasn't toured in forever, and the people I work with, and family members were just ecstatic they were going to see him. Then the whole "best concert ever" the next day. Ugghh. I don't hate his music but, I'd rather hear my friends band do a reggae version of "Turn The Page" than hear Bob sing it live. My head be splodin' mon.

proud gonzo
11/18/2006, 01:40 PM
edit: nm

Frozen Sooner
11/18/2006, 01:42 PM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/zebthethird/frozframe.jpg

I've tried to get the Led out, friend. And I guess I can see why people like them. It just doesn't work for me.

Just to pile it on myself, Bob Seger and Skynyrd also warrant an immediate station change for me.

I like Hendrix, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple... so it isn't a matter of commercial appeal. Most of the Sabbath stuff is crap. Hendrix took a few musical dumps himself. But there is so much good material from them that I can still enjoy listening.

I like the Yonder Mountaing Stringband.

I like them like an old liking thing.

How did I get dragged into this?

11/18/2006, 04:31 PM
Dude, that photo rocks like Deep Purple.

critical_phil
12/28/2006, 04:26 PM
U2

Howzit
12/28/2006, 04:40 PM
ditto.

And Coldplay.

Sorry...every one of there songs sounds the same to me.

NormanPride
12/28/2006, 04:45 PM
Coldplay and Evanescenceseceecesescessce. :mad: One whines and cries into a microphone and the other wails like a banshee.