PDA

View Full Version : PG Jamaal Brown drops OU from contention

soonerspiff
4/8/2005, 11:15 AM
Brown eliminates Sooners; OSU remains in the picture

By Mike Baldwin
The Oklahoman

STILLWATER — Southern Idaho point guard Jamaal Brown said Oklahoma is no longer in his recruiting plans, but Oklahoma State remains on his list.

“I really did like them (Oklahoma), but after I sat down and looked at the whole situation about certain things, they’re not in it,” Brown said. “It was a little personal. They’re just not in it no more.”

Brown, who signed with the Cowboys two years ago but never played at OSU, has narrowed his choices to Gonzaga, Missouri and OSU.

Brown will visit Gonzaga on April 15 and Missouri on April 22.

OSU head coach designate Sean Sutton was in Idaho on Wednesday to visit Brown, who gives the coaching staff another option if Gerald Green, a 6-foot-8 high school shooting guard, decides to go to the NBA.

Even if Green plays at OSU, Brown also would play a significant role, and possibly start, if he signed with the Cowboys.

“(OSU) is going to be good next year,” Brown said. “They’re going to be young but talented and will do some damage. The following year they’ll be really good. But their program will always be good. They’re one of the top programs in the country.”

Brown averaged 15.1 points, 7.9 assists, 2.5 steals and 3.9 rebounds and led Southern Idaho to a third-place finish at the junior college national tournament.

“Their coaches know I’m a winner,” Brown said. “I’ve being doing it my whole life. They know I can help lead that Oklahoma State team to another Final Four.”

Brown signed with OSU in November 2003 after one season at Utah Valley State. Brown took a year off from basketball and enrolled in classes in Chicago to have three years eligibility at OSU. He didn’t maintain his eligibility and enrolled at Southern Idaho. OSU began to show interest again midway through this past season.

“I liked them (two years ago) because you’re surrounded by good people,” Brown said. “They never were really out of the picture with me. We lost contact. Both parties had something to do with that. I was disappointed. They were disappointed. I had a long talk with Sean (Sutton) and Eddie (Sutton) about it. Everything is cool.”

Brown planned to visit Stillwater this weekend, but NCAA rules prohibit him from making another visit since he made an official visit two years ago. Originally from Chicago, Brown is friends with former OSU guard Tony Allen, now with the Boston Celtics.

“I talked to Tony after he played against (former OSU player) Desmond Mason Wednesday night,” Brown said. “He really liked it there, which is another reason I have great respect for all their coaches.”

--------------

Ok, so Brown is out and I hear that Crump is probably headed to Purdue, so that leaves us with our third choice, which is Mario Taybron from Eastern Oklahoma CC. He's 6'2, 190 and PG/SG. Apparently he started as a frosh for Temple, but had to leave because of grades. He should be pretty good, but I'm not so sure we can land him, and if Drew is really on his way out with us then we REALLY need another PG. Cross your fingers guys.

Mjcpr
4/8/2005, 11:56 AM
Well that's great. I guess if Lavender leaves, Everett will be the full time PG.

jreed13
4/8/2005, 12:33 PM
that sucks

LSUdeek
4/8/2005, 03:05 PM
Please fill me in on the status of Drew Lavender? I thought he was about to become a JR this upcoming year?

AustinTXHorn
4/8/2005, 04:40 PM
Please fill me in on the status of Drew Lavender? I thought he was about to become a JR this upcoming year?
Rumor is that he is going to transfer.

usmc-sooner
4/8/2005, 05:15 PM
we don't need no stinkin point guards

GDC
4/8/2005, 07:32 PM
Rumor is that he is going to transfer.

So we have devolved to a whorn answering a tiger's question about a probable transfer to Minnesota or Wisconsin on a Sooner board.
:texan:

bri
4/9/2005, 10:38 AM
Eh, so the kid dropped us from his list. He was just gonna transfer anyway.

soonerspiff
4/19/2005, 02:33 PM
We're officially down to our third choice now for a Juco PG. Rivals is saying that Crump committed to Purdue today. :(

Hopefully Sampson has been keeping in touch with Mario Taybron recently so he'll be willing to commit to us.

GDC
4/21/2005, 09:21 AM
Just let Everett do it.

Rhino
4/22/2005, 02:28 PM
Brown to OSU.

GDC
4/22/2005, 02:33 PM
Wow, who will be the back up point guard next year?

PrideTrombone
4/22/2005, 04:20 PM
We're officially down to our third choice now for a Juco PG. Rivals is saying that Crump committed to Purdue today. :(

Hopefully Sampson has been keeping in touch with Mario Taybron recently so he'll be willing to commit to us.

We lost a recruit to freaking Purdue????

GottaHavePride
4/24/2005, 11:38 PM
We lost a recruit to freaking Purdue????
Man, everyone knows Indiana teams freaking pwn us.

soonerspiff
4/29/2005, 12:48 PM
Hmm... I don't know if we are offering Mario Taybron or some California Juco player named Chris Walker, 6-3 PG, who led his team to the Cal Juco FF. Washington, UTEP, A&M, and Arizona State are all offering him a scholarship. I think he may be our third choice, but Greg Swaim reported we already offered Taybron a scholarship, which I kind of doubt. So most likely, Chris Walker, if we can sign him, will be our point guard next year.

colleyvillesooner
5/4/2005, 11:19 AM
Hmm... I don't know if we are offering Mario Taybron or some California Juco player named Chris Walker, 6-3 PG, who led his team to the Cal Juco FF. Washington, UTEP, A&M, and Arizona State are all offering him a scholarship. I think he may be our third choice, but Greg Swaim reported we already offered Taybron a scholarship, which I kind of doubt. So most likely, Chris Walker, if we can sign him, will be our point guard next year.

DING!