PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Fans

Herr Scholz
4/7/2005, 09:37 AM
Nice, give a standing O to a serial cheater Giambi and boo Mariano Rivera after all he's done for the team. They'll turn on Giambi quick when he starts tanking. He'll be gone by the All-Star break.

And they gave the Red Sox manager chest pains.

GDC
4/13/2005, 10:30 AM
Pity reply for our whorn "friend". Actually, I can't believe Monday's game hasn't been discussed, what with the rings, Derek Lowe, Pavano getting nailed, and the Yanks getting their asses handed to them.

Herr Scholz
4/13/2005, 10:40 AM
Thanks. ;) And I thourougly enjoyed the Yankees getting whipped at Fenway after the Sox got their rings. Perfect. I don't see the Yankees winning it all this year with this bunch. Bernie Williams is old and hanging on, Giambi isn't the same player anymore, and Kevin Brown, Mike Mussina and Mariano Rivera are past their primes. Jaret Wright throws beach balls up there.

Of course the Yankees will buy 5 new players by the all star break to add to their $210M payroll. :rolleyes:

Herr Scholz
4/13/2005, 10:55 AM
Big Papi!

OUthunder
4/13/2005, 11:31 AM
When the Red Sux players get three more rings in a five year span, then there fans can talk smack all they want.

Until then ...STFU!

Herr Scholz
4/13/2005, 12:56 PM
It's obviously been a long offseason for Yankee fan. :D

The question is, if the Yankees don't win it all this year with a $200M+ payroll for the second year in a row, will Georgie then fire everyone?

Regardless, the Yankees will still hold the distinction of the biggest choke in MLB playoff history.

TopDawg
4/14/2005, 11:02 AM
Regardless, the Yankees will still hold the distinction of the biggest choke in MLB playoff history.

While the record will show that we're the only team to blow a 3-0 lead, I think last year's "choke job" still falls short of the Red Sox choke job against the Mets. There was more on the line when the Sox choked and they were so close to getting it.

The Yankees choke job was monumental, no doubt, but I don't think it's on the same level as the 86 Sox choke.

Herr Scholz
4/14/2005, 11:05 AM
Both monumental chokes, yes. Poor Billy Buckner had to move to Oregon or Washington or something. Ruined his life. There were signs at the World Series last year, 'We forgive you Bill Buckner'. He was like, 'Stick it'.

OUthunder
4/14/2005, 01:00 PM
Both monumental chokes, yes. Poor Billy Buckner had to move to Oregon or Washington or something. Ruined his life. There were signs at the World Series last year, 'We forgive you Bill Buckner'. He was like, 'Stick it'.

Actually he's living in Vermont making maple syrup and in the offseason he's a migrant fruit worker in the south.

Herath
4/14/2005, 01:23 PM
While the record will show that we're the only team to blow a 3-0 lead, I think last year's "choke job" still falls short of the Red Sox choke job against the Mets. There was more on the line when the Sox choked and they were so close to getting it.

The Yankees choke job was monumental, no doubt, but I don't think it's on the same level as the 86 Sox choke.
I disagree about the 1986 choke being bigger. The Red Sox were playing on borrowed time throughout the whole postseason. They shouldn't have even been in the World Series that year anyway---if Dave Henderson doesn't hit a 7-iron out of the Big "A" in Anaheim in Game 5 the Angels make the series and Donnie Moore is still alive today.

What caught up with the Sox in Game 6 against the Mets was the same thing that gave them trouble the whole season: bullpen. Schiraldi had good stuff but he was a head case. Stanley, well, Stanley was Bob Stanley. Other things played against them, like McNamara leaving Buckner in for the 10th at first.

The Yankee collapse was much bigger because they lost the last two games at home. The Sox lost two on the road to the best team in baseball in 1986.
The Mets weren't exactly pushovers---they won 108 games that year.

----Oh yeah. Buckner now lives in Idaho and owns a few car dealerships.

TopDawg
4/14/2005, 02:15 PM
I disagree about the 1986 choke being bigger. The Red Sox were playing on borrowed time throughout the whole postseason. They shouldn't have even been in the World Series that year anyway---if Dave Henderson doesn't hit a 7-iron out of the Big "A" in Anaheim in Game 5 the Angels make the series and Donnie Moore is still alive today.

What caught up with the Sox in Game 6 against the Mets was the same thing that gave them trouble the whole season: bullpen. Schiraldi had good stuff but he was a head case. Stanley, well, Stanley was Bob Stanley. Other things played against them, like McNamara leaving Buckner in for the 10th at first.

The Yankee collapse was much bigger because they lost the last two games at home. The Sox lost two on the road to the best team in baseball in 1986.
The Mets weren't exactly pushovers---they won 108 games that year.

----Oh yeah. Buckner now lives in Idaho and owns a few car dealerships.

But by that same token, the Yankees should have never been up 3-0. The Red Sox were the better team that year and it was a pretty big choke job by them to fall behind 3-0.

Having said that, I forgot that the Yankees went into the 9th in game 4 with the lead. Letting Boston tie it and then win it in extra innings and then sweep the next 3 was pretty bad. But I still think the Yanks had no business being up 3-0 to begin with. That's why the 0-3 comeback has never happened before...rarely does the better team allow themselves to fall behind 3 games to none.

But still, "all" that was on the line there was the AL pennant, not the World Series title like in '86. Plus, it's not like the Yankees GAVE it away, they Red Sox just played brilliantly down the stretch. In '86 the Sox GAVE it away. They were up by 2 needing only one out...which was given to them...and they blew it. And that, to me, makes it a bigger choke job.

Herr Scholz
4/14/2005, 02:21 PM
"I will call the Red Sox my Daddy..."

Sincerely,
Mariano Rivera :D

GDC
4/14/2005, 02:33 PM
"I will call the Red Sox my Daddy..."

Sincerely,
Mariano Rivera :D

Uh, they weren't his daddy last night, they were his little bitches.
:texan:

Herath
4/14/2005, 02:48 PM
But by that same token, the Yankees should have never been up 3-0. The Red Sox were the better team that year and it was a pretty big choke job by them to fall behind 3-0.

Having said that, I forgot that the Yankees went into the 9th in game 4 with the lead. Letting Boston tie it and then win it in extra innings and then sweep the next 3 was pretty bad. But I still think the Yanks had no business being up 3-0 to begin with. That's why the 0-3 comeback has never happened before...rarely does the better team allow themselves to fall behind 3 games to none.

But still, "all" that was on the line there was the AL pennant, not the World Series title like in '86. Plus, it's not like the Yankees GAVE it away, they Red Sox just played brilliantly down the stretch. In '86 the Sox GAVE it away. They were up by 2 needing only one out...which was given to them...and they blew it. And that, to me, makes it a bigger choke job.
Good points, all, especially about being up two and only needing one out. But I'm sure a team has been right on the cusp of winning it all before and blown it as magnificently as the 1986 Sox did.

I find it hard to justify your basis that the Yanks didn't deserve to be up 3-0. They won the first two games in New York in solid fashion and then just smoked Boston at Fenway. It wasn't as if Boston had blown any leads in any of the games. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure they ever even had one lead in any of the games before Ortiz's walk-off in Game 4.

To me, the trump card in all this is the Yankees losing at home twice. Going on the road and losing two straight, well, that happens. Losing them at home, though, that triggers the ol' gag reflex.

TopDawg
4/14/2005, 04:03 PM
I find it hard to justify your basis that the Yanks didn't deserve to be up 3-0.

I'm basing that on the regular season matchups. Boston was 11-8 against the Yanks during the regular season. I'm also basing it somewhat on my outlook. I'm not one of those pesimistic fans...I'm one of the more optimistic fans I know and I couldn't see the Yankees winning the series before it started.

To me, the trump card in all this is the Yankees losing at home twice. Going on the road and losing two straight, well, that happens. Losing them at home, though, that triggers the ol' gag reflex.

Yeah, maybe I just look at choking differently. To me, choking is more like when you fold under pressure. The Yankees had several chances to win the series but, to me, it was more a case of the Red Sox just stepping it up when they needed to rather than the Yankees choking. It wasn't like the Yankees just folded under the pressure...the Red Sox just played almost flawlessly. I might be more inclined to call the Yankee's performance last year as the biggest "disappearance" in MLB postseason history. They really didn't do anything wrong, but they certainly couldn't do anything right.

But in 1986 the World Series Championship belonged to Boston and they blew it. They were one out away from their ultimate goal and it was handed to them and they dropped it...to me chokes don't come much bigger.

GrapevineSooner
4/14/2005, 09:08 PM
Idaho, actually. And as I've mentioned before, I don't blame Buckner for the Game 6 loss. By that point, the Red Sox had already been resigned to their fate when Schiraldi, Stanley, and Gedman let the Mets off the ropes.

Blaming Buckner for that loss makes about as much sense as blaming Tim Wakefield for the Game 7 loss in the 2003 ALCS.

GrapevineSooner
4/14/2005, 09:30 PM
Oh, and an open letter to some of my fellow Red Sox fans after the events of the 8th inning:

Jeer the Yankees, but don't act like morons.

BudSooner
4/14/2005, 10:26 PM
If its time to bash the Yankees, then throw the Cards into the mix since they were the one team that almost everybody picked to crush the Bosox dreams of winning it all last year...they NEVER put up a fight, at least the Yanks swung the bat now and then.
TD was right about the quality of last years Sox...they were a team of destiny, and performed damn near flawless.
I'm sure they would have wanted to win the east but in my opinion its better to be well rested and runner up than to head into the biggest games of the year showing up as the walking wounded. Boston earned those rings-with every pitch, catch, and swing of the bat....nobody and I mean NOBODY could stop them from doing it.
F*CK, I sound like a Boston fan. :D

GDC
4/15/2005, 09:36 AM
Oh, and an open letter to some of my fellow Red Sox fans after the events of the 8th inning:

Jeer the Yankees, but don't act like morons.

Tremendous self control exhibited by Sheffield.

Herr Scholz
4/15/2005, 09:50 AM
Tremendous self control exhibited by Sheffield.
I think Sheffield was scared. He didn't want a piece of that drunk Red Sox fan. ;)

GDC
4/15/2005, 09:52 AM
I think Sheffield was scared. He didn't want a piece of that drunk Red Sox fan. ;)

I think Millar is playing drunk, since he can't stay upright when he runs. :texan:

Red Sox's pregame ritual: Jack Daniel's
Team did shots before ALCS Game 6, and World Series

Boston Red Sox first baseman Kevin Millar told Fox Sports that the team took shots of Jack Daniel's whiskey before Game 6 of the American League Championship Series and before all four World Series games.

Millar made the surprising admission on "The Best Damn Sports Show Period" on Friday, and he also told Boston's Channel 4 about the unusual pregame regimen, ESPN said.

"It was one of those group team things, like shaving our heads last year," Millar told Fox. "What we had was one small Gatorade cup, with a little Jack Daniel's in it. We passed it around and everyone symbolically drank out of the same cup, because we are a team. It wasn't as if guys were drunk. Can you imagine Trot Nixon or Jason Varitek or Mike Timlin actually sipping alcohol before a game? No way."

Millar added that manager Terry Francona did not participate.

"First, he never would," Millar told Fox. "Second, this was just between the players. It's not a story about 25 shot glasses, it's one small Gatorade cup that we shared as a symbol. And once we won Game 6, we had to do it before Game 7, just like the lucky coin I had in my pocket every game."

But, on the Late Show with David Letterman on Monday, outfielder Johnny Damon said the Jack Daniel's story was "nice," but was taken too far.

The Red Sox made the most amazing comeback in baseball history, defeating the Yankees in the ALCS after trailing the best-of-seven series three games to none. Then, the Red Sox won four straight from the St. Louis Cardinals.

Herr Scholz
4/15/2005, 10:27 AM
Interesting.

GDC
4/15/2005, 10:30 AM
Interesting.

If you missed it, he fell coming out of the dugout to begin the game Wednesday night, and then fell rounding first last night.

Herr Scholz
4/15/2005, 10:39 AM
They ARE a bunch of idiots. Great! :D

GrapevineSooner
4/15/2005, 11:29 AM
If you missed it, he fell coming out of the dugout to begin the game Wednesday night, and then fell rounding first last night.
I heard the East German judge gave him a 2.5 and 2.6 for his efforts. :D

And BTW Kevin, when the opposing pitcher intentionally walks the guy in front of you in the lineup, you're supposed to make him pay.