PDA

View Full Version : Sooners Pre-Season #1

HateTheWhorns
4/6/2005, 01:07 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8359477

Good article about next year's team and the new additions we will have.

King Crimson
4/6/2005, 02:12 AM
that's just what we need with our "Fire Calvin" fanbase: expectations.

ESPN has us at 7, which sounds about right to me. 7-10.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2030071

Greg Doyel grew up in Norman, btw.

BarryBnds
4/6/2005, 09:24 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8359477

Good article about next year's team and the new additions we will have.

Anyone who believes we will win it is an idiot. You have to have NBA talent.

Big Red Ron
4/6/2005, 09:45 AM
Taj Gray and Terrell Everett are NBA talent. Ever heard of Nate Carter?

TopDawg
4/6/2005, 09:55 AM
We've got just as much NBA potential as the 2002 Maryland team that won it all.

TheBoz
4/6/2005, 11:29 AM
I think we will have a great season

Cant wait to kick OSU's *** at poopwater :eddie:

Big Red Ron
4/6/2005, 12:04 PM
Anyone who believes we will win it is an idiot. You have to have NBA talent.You didn't actually read the link above, did you?

Carter is the 6-foot-6, 225-pound junior who redshirted this past season after transferring from UC Riverside. In two seasons there, he averaged 16 points and six rebounds per game. If that doesn't tell you how good he is, this should:

"Nate Carter would have started for us this season," Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson says.

Any more questions about Nate Carter?

As for Neal, he's a juco transfer along the lines of 2004-05 stars Taj Gray (/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/525039) and Terrell Everett (/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/525036). The 6-4 Neal was considered the country's best juco shooting guard this season.

The NBA Draft is significant to the Sooners on two levels. One, Gray chose not to enter it; he'll enter 2005-06 as a candidate for national player of the year. Two, the other teams CBS SportsLine.com considered for the No. 1 ranking -- Duke, North Carolina, Connecticut and Louisville -- all could lose key players and/or recruits to the 2005 draft.

The CBS SportsLine.com Pre-Preseason Top 25:

1. Oklahoma (/collegebasketball/teams/page/OK): The last time the Sooners had this much talent and depth, they reached the 2002 Final Four. Oklahoma could have the country's best starting frontcourt next season in Gray, Carter and Kevin Bookout. The backcourt will be wicked deep with Everett, Neal, Lawrence McKenzie, Drew Lavender and David Godbold. That's eight quality players, and seven are juniors or seniors

boomersooner28
4/6/2005, 12:45 PM

Wow, your neg spek to post ratio is impressive! Keep it up BarryBnds!

oumartin
4/6/2005, 12:58 PM
Hey BarryBnds, Maybe a little shot of juice will get your spek back!

FaninAma
4/6/2005, 01:04 PM
Who knows with Kelvin's teams and the way they play offense. OU may very well make it to the Final Four or they could have a horrendous offensive performance like they did against Utah and be out in the round of 32 again.

GDC
4/6/2005, 01:12 PM

I hate it when posters comment on threads before they actually read them.

BarryBnds
4/6/2005, 03:34 PM
I read the article. Taj Gray has less talent than Aaron Mcghee. And if Carter was such an NBA talent why is he still going to college?

Call it neg spek or whatever you want. Sean May would kick the hell out of our front line.

If you want me to drink the koolaid with you guys I will. But I refuse to buy into ANY Big XII program actually being a contender until they win something.

TopDawg
4/6/2005, 04:47 PM
Who knows with Kelvin's teams and the way they play offense. OU may very well make it to the Final Four or they could have a horrendous offensive performance like they did against Utah and be out in the round of 32 again.

I don't really think this is fair to say about Kelvin. I mean it's not like we couldn't get any open looks in the game, we just couldn't knock them down. There were several good teams that got knocked out of the tourney early just because they had a bad game...whether it be offensive, defensive or a combo of both.

GottaHavePride
4/6/2005, 05:11 PM
Taj Gray has less talent than Aaron Mcghee.
I could not disagree more. McGhee had a nice jumper, but Taj has already shown more inside presence and defensive ability that McGhee. Plus, McGhee only got good the last half of his last year.

And if Carter was such an NBA talent why is he still going to college?
Maybe some guys believe in perfecting your fundamentals in college and developing physically enough to make an immediate impact, rather than riding the bench for three years in the NBA while they develop?

BarryBnds
4/6/2005, 05:29 PM
I could not disagree more. McGhee had a nice jumper, but Taj has already shown more inside presence and defensive ability that McGhee. Plus, McGhee only got good the last half of his last year.

Maybe some guys believe in perfecting your fundamentals in college and developing physically enough to make an immediate impact, rather than riding the bench for three years in the NBA while they develop?

You can disagree all you want. I've got no problem with that. The fact is Mcghee stepped up big time and led us to the Final Four.

And about some guys want to perfect their skills before going to the NBA?????? Have you watched the NBA draft lately???

Listen, I got no problem with anyone saying we are returning a very talented team. But would any of you bet your mortgage we even make the final four next year?

PrideTrombone
4/6/2005, 06:00 PM
Hey, I think they'll be able to build on the positives from this year, but #1? I don't know about all that.

If Mike Neal is to shooting guards as Taj was to post players, we'll be fairly well off. We still need consistent point guard play, though, whether that comes from Drew or Brandon Rush or the Jamal Brown kid if we get one of them.

soonervegas
4/6/2005, 06:38 PM
"You can disagree all you want. I've got no problem with that. The fact is Mcghee stepped up big time and led us to the Final Four."

Let's wait till after Taj's senior year until we make this comparison. I think people forget that McGee struggled at times during his Junior year, much like Taj has.

BarryBnds
4/6/2005, 06:46 PM
Hey, I think they'll be able to build on the positives from this year, but #1? I don't know about all that.

If Mike Neal is to shooting guards as Taj was to post players, we'll be fairly well off. We still need consistent point guard play, though, whether that comes from Drew or Brandon Rush or the Jamal Brown kid if we get one of them.

Easy there Pride. Any doubts towards King Kelvin are not taken lightly on this board.
:)

PrideTrombone
4/6/2005, 06:48 PM
It's not the doubts people mind about you. It's that you're an ***. :)

oumartin
4/6/2005, 08:30 PM
I'll take the wait and see approach. It does appear the recruiting has picked up a tad. Any reason for this? Is it the new assistants?
I am certain after the final four run that the Sooners were a favorite to win it all the next year and it just didnt' happen. But nothing would make me happier than to see them win it all. Well, except the sweep in football and bball

jccouger
4/6/2005, 09:24 PM
I'll take the wait and see approach. It does appear the recruiting has picked up a tad. Any reason for this?

Recruiting violations.

BarryBnds
4/6/2005, 10:18 PM
It's not the doubts people mind about you. It's that you're an ***. :)

Internet toughguys scare me. Especially band geeks. Could you not remember the whole "I'm rubber you're glue..." arguement?

I asked the question and no one has answered. Would any of you bet your mortgage that OU even makes the Final Four?

PrideTrombone
4/6/2005, 10:27 PM
Internet toughguys scare me. Especially band geeks. Could you not remember the whole "I'm rubber you're glue..." arguement?

I asked the question and no one has answered. Would any of you bet your mortgage that OU even makes the Final Four?

Who's being a toughguy? I didn't threaten you, I just mentioned that you can't get a point across without sounding really argumentative, much like the actual Barry.

That being said, I wouldn't bet $5 on OU getting to the Final Four. Unless I was getting some good odds in Vegas. :)

TopDawg
4/6/2005, 10:36 PM
BarryBnds, will you put your mortgage on no OU players getting drafted into the NBA?

stonecoldsoonerfan
4/7/2005, 08:23 AM
But I refuse to buy into ANY Big XII program actually being a contender until they win something.

this is the definition of a fair weather fan.

colleyvillesooner
4/7/2005, 08:54 AM
Wonder how his depth points change with McKenzie and Lavender gone...

Bourbon St Sooner
4/7/2005, 09:52 AM
Why are you all arguing with the troll? He's obviously an aggot in disguise.

BarryBnds
4/7/2005, 11:14 AM
Why is stating we have no chance a fairweather fan? History is on my side on this one. You think we are the greatest team in the nation. I don't. I can leave it at that. I'll be there at every home game cheering them on and hoping they do well. But I'm not going to get too caught up in it.

And I would bet my mortgage ten times over that we don't have any NBA talent on this roster vs. betting it that we win it all.

TopDawg
4/7/2005, 11:18 AM
And I would bet my mortgage ten times over that we don't have any NBA talent on this roster vs. betting it that we win it all.

That's not the question. If I had to choose between the two, I'd also pick that one because it's so difficult to win the tournament. But that's not what I asked.

Would you bet your mortgage that nobody from next years team gets drafted into the NBA?

soonervegas
4/7/2005, 01:33 PM
Barry...that's kind of a hard bet to take. Unless you have overwhleming talent...everything is a toss up once the round of 32 starts. I would bet that OU finishes in the Top 10 next year.

BarryBnds
4/7/2005, 03:07 PM
I would bet that at least one player transfers after the season. :)

Big Red Ron
4/7/2005, 06:52 PM
I would bet that at least one player transfers after the season. :)DOUCH..........SPIT!

BarryBnds
2/14/2008, 10:43 AM
I love being right about Coach Denim all along!

stoopified
2/14/2008, 11:47 AM
I should of checked the original post date first.I was terribly confused at first,now that I realize it is a KS thread I just don't care.

sooneron
2/15/2008, 09:09 AM
I love being right about Coach Denim all along!
Yay! You! awesome!:rolleyes:

jccouger
2/15/2008, 02:03 PM
Recruiting violations.

Woah.....

BarryBnds
2/16/2008, 09:40 AM
Yay! You! awesome!:rolleyes:

Keep s*cking on Kelvin. He ain't gonna come back.