PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listen to XM baseball games yet?

AllAboutThe'O'
4/5/2005, 03:51 PM
I'm already loving it. Listened to parts of the Padres-Rockies and A's-Orioles games yesterday. Then, I summoned enough courage to listen to the Yankee broadcast of the game against Boston today. That means having to listen to John Sterling and his sidekick, what's her name. Also, they're in midseason form with their promo plugs. In the middle of the third, Sterling gave a reminder that with the 15th out of the game, now's a good time to call GEICO insurance, where 15 minutes or less saves you money on car insurance. Then, he reminded all that they're doing the broadcast from the Lowe's broadcast booth. Did Lowe's build the broadcast booth or what?
Can't wait to hear Vin Scully on the Dodger broadcasts and Marty Brennaman on the Reds.

Soonerborn03
4/5/2005, 05:21 PM
I know Vin Scully does the tv broadcasts, but does he do radio broadcasts as well?

AllAboutThe'O'
4/5/2005, 08:53 PM
I know Vin Scully does the tv broadcasts, but does he do radio broadcasts as well?
I think they simulcast Scully's TV broadcast on their radio network. Must be an L.A. thing, they do the same thing with Lakers games, simulcast the same announcers (especially in Chick Hearn's day) on both their radio and TV networks.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/5/2005, 09:00 PM
Also, I got to listen to the Braves-Marlins and Dodgers-Giants. For some reason, we got the Braves network even though we generally are supposed to get the home team's broadcast. Which meant, as the Braves and John Smoltz were getting pounded, new Braves voice Chip Caray publicly lamented his bad career move. "I leave a team that scored 16 runs in its opener to a team that can't score diddly-squat in theirs?" Or something to that effect.
The Giants' broadcast provided a treat as Jon Miller did the play-by-play. I really never got to hear Jon Miller on radio, since he's done the Giants and before that, for many years, the voice of the Orioles. But he sounds the same as he does on ESPN as well as the ESPN 2K5 video game (best one on the market BTW). He did make a faux pas when, reading the account of the Braves' game, he mistook John Smoltz for former Braves farmhand and Giants ace Jason Schmidt.

BarryBnds
4/5/2005, 09:06 PM
Who does the Met games? I may have to get that package.

GrapevineSooner
4/6/2005, 10:31 AM
That means having to listen to John Sterling and his sidekick, what's her name.
Mary Kay. :D

I mean Michael Kay.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/12/2005, 09:49 PM
Greatness! I got to hear the first part of the Dodger home opener today and, indeed, Vin was behind the mike. And Vin was in usual storytelling form.
But they (meaning the Dodgers) saved the best for last. Charley Steiner, the ex-ESPN and Yankee announcer, took over as PBP voice for the final innings, and got to call the dramatic four-run comeback in the ninth over the Giants. My first walk-off call heard on XM ever, and it came from, of all people, Charley Steiner. Didn't have him in my pool.

GDC
4/13/2005, 10:28 AM
yes

GrapevineSooner
4/13/2005, 01:07 PM
Greatness! I got to hear the first part of the Dodger home opener today and, indeed, Vin was behind the mike. And Vin was in usual storytelling form.
But they (meaning the Dodgers) saved the best for last. Charley Steiner, the ex-ESPN and Yankee announcer, took over as PBP voice for the final innings, and got to call the dramatic four-run comeback in the ninth over the Giants. My first walk-off call heard on XM ever, and it came from, of all people, Charley Steiner. Didn't have him in my pool.
I turned that game off after the top of the 9th when I had plans to go pick up my daughter at my in-laws. They called and told me they would drop her off so I went back to MLB.com where I found out the bad news that Armando Benitez had blown a three run lead in the 9th and it was due to an error on Ellison. :mad: