PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball predictions

AllAboutThe'O'
4/1/2005, 11:36 PM
What are your picks for the upcoming MLB regular season? Here's how I think it shakes out:

AL East (in order)
Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays, Devil Rays
The top two could be reversed, but on paper, the Yankees have the better team. But they could be done in by injuries, inconsistent starting pitching and chemistry issues, so the Red Sox could very well win the division. I think Sammy Sosa rebounds with the Orioles, and Lou Piniella will still wonder why he left Seattle to go back home and take over a perennial woebegone franchise.

AL Central
Twins, Tigers, Indians, White Sox, Royals
This may very well be the most interesting division in baseball. Actually, every team with the possible exception of the Royals could win the title. I think Detroit is ready to make a major move, but I still think the Tigers are a year away. The Twins will reload for another run, and the White Sox are definitely a mystery team.

AL West
Angels, Rangers, Athletics, Mariners
Even though I'm a Rangers fan, and I think we'll have another good season, they're a year away from being serious contenders. Right now, I'll put the Angels at the top because of their overall talent. The A's will sorely miss the 1-2 punch of Tim Hudson and Mark Mulder and the Mariners will be improved but not enough to make a run at the division title.

NL East
Braves, Marlins, Mets, Phillies, Nationals
I'm finally learning my lesson this year. Until they don't win it, the road to the NL East crown goes through Atlanta. Hudson and the return of Smoltz to the rotation will give the Braves the edge solely because of that. Mets will be a fun team to watch, they had a good offseason, and the Marlins will contend if their starting pitching stays healthy. Nationals finally have a home, but still reside in a brutal division.

NL Central
Astros, Cardinals, Cubs, Reds, Pirates, Brewers
Like the AL Central, could easily be flip flopped between the top three or four teams. If Pettitte stays healthy and Clemens continues his Cy Young form, the Astros could do it. Mulder gives Cardinals the starting ace they lack but the Cubs have health issues with their rotation. Watch out for the Reds, they probably won't win the division but they'll be a team no one wants to face. Of course, one factor will depend on the health of Griffey. Pirates and Brewers have some good young faces but still reside in the bottom of the division.

NL West
Giants, Padres, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Rockies
Even without Barry Bonds, the Giants have enough talent to win the division. Dodgers have too many holes to fill and the Padres are still trying to figure out how to hit the big fly at Petco. D'backs will be improved while the Rockies may possibly sport the worst record in the majors.

AL Wildcard: Red Sox
NL Wildcard: Marlins

ALCS: Red Sox over Yankees (no comeback this time)
NLCS: Marlins over Braves (Braves fall short in the postseason again)
World Series: Red Sox over Marlins (as if New England and the city of Boston have already celebrated enough).

Your thoughts?

Scott D
4/1/2005, 11:40 PM
no way the Tigers and Indians finish before the White Sox

OklahomaTrombone
4/1/2005, 11:44 PM
I don't think the Astros will win the Central.

colleyvillesooner
4/2/2005, 01:01 AM
no way the Tigers and Indians finish before the White Sox

ditto

GrapevineSooner
4/2/2005, 02:04 AM
I'll be honest...

I have some concerns about the Red Sox starting rotation. Hell, they're having trouble staying healthy already with Schilling and Miller starting the season on the DL. Not to mention, David Wells' back and the enigma of Matt Clement.

That all having been said, I doubt Randy Johnson makes it through the entire year without getting into some back trouble of his own. And I still think the Yankees should have done more to address their issues with middle relief. IMO, the inability to bridge the gap between the starting pitching and Tom Gordon and Mariano Rivera played the biggest role in their ALCS collapse.

BudSooner
4/2/2005, 09:53 PM
You all are sooooooooo wrong-the Devil Rays and Nationals are going to shock the world!!!!
Not really, Rangers in the west, Yanks in the east,Chicago in the central.
NL-Braves(although, i'm kinda leaning towards the Mets..call me crazy)in the east,Cards in the central,and the Dodgers in the west.
NLCS-Dodgers over the Cards.
ALCS-Start spread'in the news.....i'm leaving today, I want to be a part of it, thats right kiddos...the Yanks head back to the series!
Yanks win the championship in game 5 with a home run by Jeter.

JohnnyMack
4/2/2005, 11:05 PM
I predict that come October, I'll still hate the Yankees.

OUthunder
4/3/2005, 09:42 AM
I'm a Yankee homer but I agree with what one of the abover posters stated. The Yankees did not shore up there middle relief which led to there collapse in the ALCS last year. Adding Johnson was a nice touch, but I have this terrible feeling that he'll be another Kevin Brown, which is one of the worst deals that Cashman has made since being with the Yankees. Of course Johnson is a much better pitcher and more of a gamer IMO. Brown is a prick, he's not a gamer, and his teamates hate his guts wherever he plays. They should have cut bait in the off season and traded him or released his ***. It would not surprise me in the least, if he pitches in fewer than ten games and retires during the season due to his back.

The Yankees other big weekness last year was left handed relief and picking up Stanton was basically a roll of the dice. I know that he's proven but his age is also a factor IMPO and his best years are behind him IMO. 1st base is also a concern. While some baseball analysts say that Giambi will be back and have a big year, I disagree. The Yankees bringing Tino back to the Bronx was proof of how much confidence they s really have in Giambi ...NOT MUCH! IMHO, bringing back Tino was one of the better off season moves that they made ...now if we can just get Paul O'Neil to come out of retirement, I'll be a very happy camper!!! .)

In the end it all boils down to pitching, pitching pitching. On paper, it's a dead heat. But IMHO (A Yankee homer) the Red Sox not only have the advantage in the bullpen with more arms ...they have the psychological advantage of doing what NO professional sports franchise had ever done before ...Come back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the greatest professional sports franchise of all time! What the Red Sux did in the ALCS last year was unfreakinbelievable!!! And if any Yankee fan tells you different or says that it was luck and that it didn't hurt ...they're lying through their Bambino teeth!

My prediction? Who knows? I'll say Red Sux-Yanks in the ALCS again and the curse once again appears in Yankee Stadium. Yanks win the ALCS in a brawl filled game, 4-3 with a walk-off homer by Jeter and then the Yanks beat the Cards 4-2 in the Series.

I told you I was a Yankee homer! :)

soonerjoker
4/3/2005, 10:42 AM
i'm a long time fan of dodgers. i think they look pitiful. they did get some new guys to help, but look who they let go. mainly beltre.
also, gagne is on the dl.
why did they let LoDuca go ???
hope i'm wrong.

BudSooner
4/3/2005, 08:17 PM
now if we can just get Paul O'Neil to come out of retirement
Man you are so right about that! I sure missed him in the big games last few years.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/3/2005, 08:57 PM
i'm a long time fan of dodgers. i think they look pitiful. they did get some new guys to help, but look who they let go. mainly beltre.
also, gagne is on the dl.
why did they let LoDuca go ???
hope i'm wrong.
Because the Dodger GM is an idiot. He's a disciple of Billy Beane, the Mack Brown of MLB general managers, and he came in with these crazy ideas that on-base percentage is where it's at. At the time last year, even though I'm not a Dodger fan, I rued the day they traded LoDuca and I still feel this way. Plus, I think they should have made an effort to keep Beltre and stay away from J.D. Drew. :mack:

AllAboutThe'O'
4/3/2005, 09:02 PM
I'm a Yankee homer but I agree with what one of the abover posters stated. The Yankees did not shore up there middle relief which led to there collapse in the ALCS last year. Adding Johnson was a nice touch, but I have this terrible feeling that he'll be another Kevin Brown, which is one of the worst deals that Cashman has made since being with the Yankees. Of course Johnson is a much better pitcher and more of a gamer IMO. Brown is a prick, he's not a gamer, and his teamates hate his guts wherever he plays. They should have cut bait in the off season and traded him or released his ***. It would not surprise me in the least, if he pitches in fewer than ten games and retires during the season due to his back.

Kevin Brown came up with the Rangers, and while he had a decent first couple of years, he showed signs of the prickliness he would become world reknowned for. I'm glad we cut his ***, and I have no regrets. Didn't surprise me one bit when I heard he got hurt when he slammed his hand against the wall last year, the punk deserved it.

Herr Scholz
4/4/2005, 11:03 AM
Cubs. Period.

OUthunder
4/4/2005, 11:11 AM
Man you are so right about that! I sure missed him in the big games last few years.

O'Neil, Mattingly and Munson are my favorite Yanks of all time. Maris and Mantle are way up there as well, just a tad before my time though.

Scott D
4/4/2005, 12:21 PM
Cubs. Period.

they'll be on it by mid June...when half the pitching staff is on IR. :D

Soonerfan85
4/5/2005, 08:37 AM
Cubs. Period.

Correction: Astros rule, Cubs drool. :D

I predict the Astros will not have to settle for a wildcard spot this season. ;)

Herr Scholz
4/5/2005, 11:41 AM
Correction: Astros rule, Cubs drool. :D

I predict the Astros will not have to settle for a wildcard spot this season. ;)
Which moniker irks you more, Lastros or Disastros? Because that's the one I'll use. ;)

And the Cardinals got better with Mulder. The Lastros got worse with the losses of Wade Miller and Tim Redding. The Cubs will be healthy this year. Disastros come in 3rd at best. Maybe the Reds catch you.