PDA

View Full Version : Nov 6 in Sooner History

B1rd
11/6/2003, 04:08 PM
1904 - Guthrie hosts first OU-OK A&M game on the banks of Cottonwood Creek. There were no out-of-bounds rules! OU wins 75-0, still the most lopsided score in the series. OU wins first 11 games and holds OSU scoreless until game 9 in 1914.

setem
10/11/2006, 09:46 PM
This is a grand ole bump!

Just to add to this thread a bit more.

The Sooners had three coaches over the next four seasons. Fred Roberts led the Sooners to a 3-2 season in 1901, Mark McMahon recorded an 11-7-3 record in his two years as coach from 1902 and 1903, and Fred Ewing recorded a 4-3-1 record in 1904.[3] The most notable event of those four years came in 1904 when OU had its first match against its instate rival, Oklahoma A&M. The game was played on November 6, 1904 at a park in Guthrie, Oklahoma. The OU team soundly defeated the Oklahoma Aggies 75-0, but it was an unusual touchdown that is remembered most of that game.

Oklahoma Sooners football
The day was bitterly cold with blustery winds out of the north. The boundaries were vaguely defined. And one of the oddest touchdowns ever recorded in football history occurred when an Aggie punt was carried backward by the wind until it bounced into Cottonwood Creek. Players from both teams pursued the evasive football into the deeper, chilly waters of the creek, but it was a Rough Rider who prevailed and climbed ashore with the football. Incidentally, every player on the OU squad scored that day, soundly defeating the Aggies 75-0.

Oklahoma Sooners football

—Taken from statue in Guthrie, Oklahoma. See photo.

****** football was born that day.

I searched the forums...kill me if this is dumb.

goingoneight
10/11/2006, 10:00 PM
I really don't like or care for Aggy. The series speaks for itself, they're a pit and always will be a pit. Little Brother Junior College, IMHO.

The Maestro
10/11/2006, 11:21 PM
Wow...when we lose to texas we get REEEEEAAAAAAL bored, huh?

olevetonahill
10/12/2006, 12:23 AM
instant replay would have killed all that mojo