PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Lent starts tomorrow...

Okla-homey
2/8/2005, 03:31 PM
what are you giving up?

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2005, 03:32 PM
Not Catholic....so NUTHIN!!!!!!!!

Okla-homey
2/8/2005, 03:36 PM

there are other denominations who observe the Lenten season besides Catholics ya know.

DCSooner
2/8/2005, 03:36 PM

Okla-homey
2/8/2005, 03:37 PM

who's?

DCSooner
2/8/2005, 03:37 PM
mine.

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2005, 03:39 PM
there are other denominations who observe the Lenten season besides Catholics ya know.

Ok, I'll try this:

I'm Baptist, so NUTHIN!!!!!

wait, there are other denominations out there????

Beano's Fourth Chin
2/8/2005, 03:40 PM
Probably not girl scout cookies on account they get delivered today.

Mostly we try to do something additional to our daily routine instead of giving something up. For some reason that seems to make the focus on something positive instead of something negative (such as giving up somehting you like), but that's just me and my wife.

PrideTrombone
2/8/2005, 03:42 PM
Ok, I'll try this:

A liberal baptist? Whaa?

TexasLidig8r
2/8/2005, 03:42 PM
Being cantakerous or sarcastic on here????

..... nah .....

Or... better yet... if the Sooner posters on here can raise $500.00 by this Friday and donate it to a legitimate charity of my choice to be approved by the Moderators on here... I will give up posting on this website until Easter..

How is THAT for being charitable?

Sooner_Bob
2/8/2005, 03:43 PM
No offense, but I've never seen the point in giving up something for Lent.

Okla-homey
2/8/2005, 03:43 PM
Ok, I'll try this:

Sure, they got Episcopalians...all the ritual of Rome, with none of the guilt complex

Lutherans...Methodists...etc.

Sexy Sooner Angel
2/8/2005, 03:44 PM
I'm Catholic and I believe in not giving anything up for lent. Instead I firmly believe in helping others during this time.

So my lenten promise is to be there more for TD and help her in whatever ways I can. :D

Other than that I don't know yet.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
A liberal baptist? Whaa?Yeah, we're a rarity.

TopDaugIn2000
A liberal baptist? Whaa?

I know, watch out...we are a VERY rare breed.

TexasLidig8r
Sure, they got Episcopalians...all the ritual of Rome, with none of the guilt complex

Episcopalians are merely Catholic who don't like to exercise.

Stand, kneel, sit.. Stand, kneel, sit.

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2005, 03:45 PM
So my lenten promise is to be there more for TD and help her in whatever ways I can. :D

awwwwwwwwwwwww, thanks SSA. I'm there for ya too.

Sexy Sooner Angel
2/8/2005, 03:46 PM
I know, watch out...we are a VERY rare breed.
I know and there are 3 of you on this board!

Granted me being a liberal Catholic is close to the same. I couldn't tell you how many W04 stickers there are at the church parking lot. It's sad. :P

TopDaugIn2000

same here. and why is fish NOT considered meat??? never understood that.

Beano's Fourth Chin

Detailed explanation on Lent:
http://www.christtheking.com/worship/worship_files/lent.pdf

Sexy Sooner Angel
2/8/2005, 03:47 PM
same here. and why is fish NOT considered meat??? never understood that.
Because a fish isn't a mammal.

Mjcpr
2/8/2005, 03:47 PM
http://www.users.vance.net/tprewitt/lint.gif

Mjcpr
2/8/2005, 03:48 PM
Because a fish isn't a mammal. Dolphins are......ask Hank Hill.

yermom
2/8/2005, 03:48 PM
what's lent?

Fugue
2/8/2005, 03:49 PM
http://www.users.vance.net/tprewitt/lint.gif

SPEK

TopDaugIn2000
Because a fish isn't a mammal.

oh man....I could get this thread locked so easily with that.....

yikes.

Sexy Sooner Angel
Lent was obviously very important in my family growing up, but I never really got into it.

Sexy Sooner Angel
2/8/2005, 03:50 PM
oh man....I could get this thread locked so easily with that.....

yikes.
oops! I forgot who I was directing that too. ;)

Mjcpr
2/8/2005, 03:50 PM
Lent was obviously very important in my family growing up, but I never really got into it.
It's just as well, you can almost never get it off of your clothes.

Sexy Sooner Angel
2/8/2005, 03:51 PM
Being cantakerous or sarcastic on here????

..... nah .....

Or... better yet... if the Sooner posters on here can raise $500.00 by this Friday and donate it to a legitimate charity of my choice to be approved by the Moderators on here... I will give up posting on this website until Easter..

How is THAT for being charitable?
Hey Lid, are you going to church tomorrow?

Norm In Norman
I'm giving up lint.

Sooner_Bob

I guess I just feel you should have the same Christ-like, repentance attitude year-round. :)

Ike
2/8/2005, 03:52 PM
I decided to give up giving up.

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2005, 03:53 PM
It's just as well, you can almost never get it off of your clothes.

I've always wondered:

Every load of clothes that I dry fills up the lint trap, even the old ones....How much longer will it be before I open up the dryer door and the clothes have totally disintegrated?!?!?!?!

Norm In Norman
2/8/2005, 03:54 PM
Detailed explanation on Lint:
http://www.answers.com/lint&r=67

TexasLidig8r
2/8/2005, 03:55 PM
Hey Lid, are you going to church tomorrow?

Yep.. morning mass at St. Monica. Gotta get those ashes.

Razoos tonite though...

Laissez les bon temp roulez!!!!!!!!!!

Sexy Sooner Angel
2/8/2005, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I don't think I am going to make it to mass. Get some extra ashes for me. :D

Okla-homey
2/8/2005, 04:05 PM
I'm Catholic and I believe in not giving anything up for lent. Instead I firmly believe in helping others during this time.

Actually, that is a very introspective and commendable approach. In a lotta ways, it beats giving something up (like brussels sprouts, asparagus or lamb chops) since if adhered to, it would involve your time, which is your most valuable resource. Spek to you!

You'll notice I ignored the latter part of your initial post;)

IMHO, its all about doing something to help remind us daily of the "reason for the season"...short of watching "The Passion" everyday or something similarly over the top.

Sexy Sooner Angel
2/8/2005, 04:06 PM
Oh I don't do it daily. I try and do something out of my way once a week. Granted some of the things I do to help others during this time might not be that holy. ;)

Okla-homey
2/8/2005, 04:08 PM
I've always wondered:

Every load of clothes that I dry fills up the lint trap, even the old ones....How much longer will it be before I open up the dryer door and the clothes have totally disintegrated?!?!?!?!

That's why its better to hang stuff on the line if possible. You've quite rightly concluded that lint is actually your clothes decomposing in the dryer.

JohnnyMack
2/8/2005, 04:29 PM
I'm an athiest, but what the hell.

I'll give up something. Could be fun.

Any suggestions?

Fugue
2/8/2005, 04:31 PM
I'm an athiest, but what the hell.

I'll give up something. Could be fun.

Any suggestions?

all your warm clothing, you won't need it. :texan:

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2005, 04:32 PM
all your warm clothing, you won't need it. :texan:

heh, SPEK

Scott D
2/8/2005, 04:59 PM
Episcopalians are merely Catholic who don't like to exercise.

Stand, kneel, sit.. Stand, kneel, sit.

Hey be nice, we don't do confession either. :)

lexsooner
2/8/2005, 05:03 PM
You don't have to give something up for Lent, nor do you have to be Catholic to follow the traditions of Lent. You can do something affirmative during Lent rather than merely refraining from something. This time I plan to do something nice for someone at least once each day. I belong to the UMC, and Methodists are encouraged to follow Lent, not mandated. It is a period of penance for your sins by giving something up or doing something affirmative, and any Christian can do this.

47straight
2/8/2005, 06:24 PM
Trivia number #324

Ash Wednesday is the most attended mass of the year, even above Christmas and Easter.

St. Albert's tomorrow for me at 6:30 - a friend who is converting is signing in as a candidate. :)

critical_phil
2/8/2005, 07:06 PM
A liberal baptist? Whaa?

anyway, thanks for the lotto vote.............

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2005, 07:11 PM
anyway, thanks for the lotto vote.............

lotto, gay marriage......you name it.

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2005, 07:14 PM

Other than that I don't know yet.

exactly which of the catholic beliefs do you ascribe to?

BigRedJed
2/8/2005, 07:21 PM
exactly which of the catholic beliefs do you ascribe to?Stand, kneel, sit.. Stand, kneel, sit. ;)

SweetheartSooner
2/8/2005, 08:01 PM
Instead of giving something up, I will spend more time in prayer and/or go to weekday masses or adoration or something to that extent.

usmc-sooner
2/8/2005, 08:51 PM
I shot a Muslim in Reno just to watch him die in honor of Lent

daMentor
2/8/2005, 09:18 PM
I will be pulling some "lent" out of my belly button. Okay, that's all I got.

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2005, 09:18 PM
usmc---

don't be hate-n

swardboy
2/8/2005, 10:21 PM
Why observe a Christian tradition that isn't in the Bible....screw the "do this - don't do that" legalists.

proud gonzo
2/8/2005, 10:43 PM
i don't give up anything for lent. never have. i'm not particularly religious. aside from that, if the purpose is to try to improve yourself by giving something up (or whatever) for lent then I don't need Lent for that. I think i'm a pretty decent person anyway. But I also think everyone should try to improve themselves every day, not just for 40, therefore the concept of doing something extra simply because it's lent is a little silly. IMO.

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2005, 10:46 PM
the purpose isnt to prove you're a good person.....the purpose is to sacrifice something....

there are ALOT of things all denominations do that arent in the bible......i dont remember reading anywhere in the bible that after the collection, every methodist church in the US stands up and sings the doxology.....but we do it

Scott D
2/8/2005, 10:46 PM
I was gonna give up sex, then I remembered that I got married :)

daMentor
2/8/2005, 10:52 PM
the purpose isnt to prove you're a good person.....the purpose is to sacrifice something....

there are ALOT of things all denominations do that arent in the bible......i dont remember reading anywhere in the bible that after the collection, every methodist church in the US stands up and sings the doxology.....but we do it
The thing that gets me about Catholics doing this tradition is just that Catholics doing it. I mean not to get into the whole religious talk here, but this comes from a religion that believes in HUGE RICH churches and what not. I don't know. Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression.

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2005, 10:54 PM
The thing that gets me about Catholics doing this tradition is just that Catholics doing it. I mean not to get into the whole religious talk here, but this comes from a religion that believes in HUGE RICH churches and what not. I don't know. Maybe I'm getting the wrong impression.

i'm not sure i understand your point.....what does huge rich churches have to do with making a personal sacrifice during the time of the year when Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice?

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2005, 10:55 PM
how bout we give up TOP O THE PAGE BEYONCEYS

Ike
2/8/2005, 11:00 PM

Im a little confused....the church that started the tradition shouldn't continue with it because they are rich now?

GottaHavePride
2/8/2005, 11:02 PM
"We eat only fish this month... because the prophet Brutha eschewed meat, um, while he was wandering in the desert, see."

"What, like 32 times each bite?"

daMentor
2/8/2005, 11:14 PM
Im a little confused....the church that started the tradition shouldn't continue with it because they are rich now?
No. All I'm saying is it seems to me that Catholic churches are always these HUGE cathedral type places. If I'm not mistaken, it talks about "worldy goods" in the bible. So, why do they believe in these huge rich cathedrals (worldly goods). Yet, they have a tradition where they "sacrifice" something. Maybe they should be sacrificing the costs of building those huge churches and do something more productive with that money?

Again, this is just the impression I get. I could be way off base here. So, don't take it the wrong way. I'm not a very avid reader of the bible. I don't even currently go to church or even claim a religion for that matter. I do belive in god, however I feel I should worship him in my own way.

daMentor
2/8/2005, 11:17 PM
how bout we give up TOP O THE PAGE BEYONCEYS
Ok, is this going to turn into the normal post at the top of the page? We hereby designate this space for someone to say TOTP BEYONCES. :D

jk the sooner fan
2/9/2005, 09:09 AM
No. All I'm saying is it seems to me that Catholic churches are always these HUGE cathedral type places. If I'm not mistaken, it talks about "worldy goods" in the bible. So, why do they believe in these huge rich cathedrals (worldly goods). Yet, they have a tradition where they "sacrifice" something. Maybe they should be sacrificing the costs of building those huge churches and do something more productive with that money?

Again, this is just the impression I get. I could be way off base here. So, don't take it the wrong way. I'm not a very avid reader of the bible. I don't even currently go to church or even claim a religion for that matter. I do belive in god, however I feel I should worship him in my own way.

i see your point and dont totally disagree with you, but i think the ornateness of any church is more representative of an appropriate shrine to God..

usmc-sooner
2/9/2005, 09:14 AM
must resist Catholic Priest and little boys joke. :D

I kid, I kid

SweetheartSooner
2/9/2005, 09:23 AM
Actually, the Catholic Church is the largest chairty in the world...

JohnnyMack
2/9/2005, 11:23 AM
Red Meat it is!

My new wallpaper:

http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/ilm/outreach/calving/photos/cute%20calf.jpg

TopDaugIn2000
2/9/2005, 11:24 AM
yummmmmmmm

Sexy Sooner Angel
2/9/2005, 11:25 AM
I hate this week. No meat today or on Friday. :( Granted I have never really followed this, but I still feel a little bad.

Fugue
2/9/2005, 11:48 AM
I hate this week. No meat today or on Friday. :( Granted I have never really followed this, but I still feel a little bad.

:meat: :meat: :meat: :meat: :meat: :meat: :meat: :meat: :meat:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

daMentor
2/9/2005, 01:12 PM
Actually, the Catholic Church is the largest chairty in the world...
You see, I did not know that. That's why I left it open. That's just the impression that I got. If that is the case, I will now look at the Catholic church in a different light. Thanks for the info.

Mjcpr
2/9/2005, 01:24 PM
What is that you do do that makes you Catholic then? You know aside from not doing the lent thing, eating meat thing, etc.

;)

soonerscuba
2/9/2005, 01:37 PM
I think protestants are catching up on the building enormous churches thing, go to 71st and Memorial in Tulsa look NE. I really don't know how all the godless Tulsans allowed such a thing.

Scott D
2/9/2005, 02:21 PM

fishsticks time in the SSA house :D

SoonerAtKU
2/9/2005, 03:45 PM
What is that you do do that makes you Catholic then? You know aside from not doing the lent thing, eating meat thing, etc.

;)

Something funny...my wife didn't change her name and doesn't wear a wedding ring. People ask her all the time, "so what makes you married?"

wait...maybe that's not funny.

am I really married?

Sexy Sooner Angel
2/9/2005, 03:52 PM
fishsticks time in the SSA house :D
Oh god that makes me want to hurl!! No it just means more salads and tuna.

JohnnyMack
2/15/2005, 04:57 PM
One week with no red meat down!

I expect to cruise to victory!

SoonerInKCMO
2/15/2005, 05:03 PM
I think protestants are catching up on the building enormous churches thing, go to 71st and Memorial in Tulsa look NE. I really don't know how all the godless Tulsans allowed such a thing.

They turned Woodland Hills Mall into a church?

:confused:

Mjcpr
2/28/2006, 03:47 PM
Oh yeah, this was the one.

Sooner_Bob
2/28/2006, 03:54 PM
Way to go Pat . . .

mdklatt
2/28/2006, 04:12 PM
No. All I'm saying is it seems to me that Catholic churches are always these HUGE cathedral type places. If I'm not mistaken, it talks about "worldy goods" in the bible. So, why do they believe in these huge rich cathedrals (worldly goods).

Prestonwood Baptist Church (http://www.prestonwood.org)

Buffness is next to godliness.

The Sports and Fitness Center opened on April 1, 2000. Indoor facilities include three basketball courts, a batting cage, a weight room, cardio room and an aerobic room.

Outdoor facilities currently include two sand volleyball courts and football, softball and soccer fields.

Prestonwood makes it easier than ever for you give us your money with online giving.

What are the benefits of online giving?

You can increase your faithfulness. Have you ever forgotten your gift, left it at home or pledged to double it in the future? Have you had times where you have fallen behind because of travel and other schedule interruptions? Online giving provides a way to strengthen your faithfulness.

Strengthen your faithfulness! Give us money!

Take a look at a panorama (http://prestonwood.org/sitedata/143/files/pan/cafe.html) of the beautiful Main Street Cafe, conveniently located on the sprawling Prestonwood campus (http://www.prestonwood.org/sites/document.asp?did=4468)

Don't forget to get some freshly brewed Starbucks coffee while you're there!