PDA

View Full Version : Need Washer help (laundry washer).

colleyvillesooner
2/8/2005, 12:24 PM
I just moved a clothes washer from one apartment to another. It worked fine but after the move, the water just trickles out, no pressure. They came out and checked the pressure and it was fine. The maintenance man said to check the water Fill valve. How would one go about this? The washer is a Whirpool top loading washer that is 5 years old. It has never had any work done on it.

TIA

Flagstaffsooner
2/8/2005, 12:31 PM
Thats a float valve, remove the exterior panels, it should be on back where the water comes in. Moving it may have dislodged some crap and blocked it.

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2005, 12:33 PM
Thats a float valve...

I thought those were in terlets

BigRedJed
2/8/2005, 12:35 PM
Good post, Archie Bunker.

Flagstaffsooner
2/8/2005, 12:39 PM
You turds are lots of help to a man with a problem.;)

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2005, 12:42 PM
Sorry, but I don't know much about washers.

Toilet float valves....I do jiggle with those from time to time.

1stTimeCaller
2/8/2005, 12:43 PM
I would take it apart piece by piece then put it back together. When you find you have some parts left over after it put back together, don't worry. They always put in extra parts that aren't needed and actually slow the machine down.

fadada1
2/8/2005, 12:43 PM
get a bigger hammer!!!!

Okla-homey
2/8/2005, 12:45 PM
Serious attempt to be helpful: Do you have the same problem whether you've selected Hot, Warm or Cold?

colleyvillesooner
2/8/2005, 12:53 PM
Do you have the same problem whether you've selected Hot, Warm or Cold?

I'll have to try that when I get home. I only ran cold so far.

Thanks to everyone with suggetions, not you turds ;)

Okla-homey
2/8/2005, 12:59 PM
I'll have to try that when I get home. I only ran cold so far.

Thanks to everyone with suggetions, not you turds ;)

Speaking as a former assistant warsher repair dude (in HS), if its just the hot or the cold, that probably just means you've kinked the respective supply hose running from the tap behind the machine to the inlet on the back of the machine. If it is the same flow rate regardless of temp selected, you've got an inlet valve problem. You can prolly remove the old one and replace it yourself for forty bucks or less.

Hope that helps. Not to be a smarty or anything, but next time buy a Maytag. We did 10 repairs on the other brands for every Maytag call.

colleyvillesooner
2/8/2005, 01:14 PM
Speaking as a former assistant warsher repair dude (in HS), if its just the hot or the cold, that probably just means you've kinked the respective supply hose running from the tap behind the machine to the inlet on the back of the machine. If it is the same flow rate regardless of temp selected, you've got an inlet valve problem. You can prolly remove the old one and replace it yourself for forty bucks or less.

Hope that helps. Not to be a smarty or anything, but next time buy a Maytag. We did 10 repairs on the other brands for every Maytag call.

Thanks again, I've heard good things about Maytag, but I got these Whirpools as a set for $300 when Circuit City got out of appliances. Have a brother who worked there with a discount didn't hurt either ;)

Okla-homey
2/8/2005, 07:34 PM
well?

colleyvillesooner
2/8/2005, 07:35 PM
well?

Not home yet, stopped by my parents. I'll post later tonight with an update. thanks again.

Blue
2/8/2005, 07:39 PM
***UPDATE***

The sink problem from a week ago was a hot water heater hose dissolving into the flow and stopping up the whole system. We've flushed it and if that don't work, time for a new hot water heater.

Okla-homey
2/8/2005, 07:39 PM
Not home yet, stopped by my parents. I'll post later tonight with an update. thanks again.

Dayum son! You live in the same town with your mom and you have need of a washing machine. We gotta talk!

Okla-homey
2/8/2005, 07:41 PM
***UPDATE***

The sink problem from a week ago was a hot water heater hose dissolving into the flow and stopping up the whole system. We've flushed it and if that don't work, time for a new hot water heater.

Thanks. That's very considerate. It is considered quite rude to ask for home repair wisdom from the collective SO braintrust and then not close the loop.

Just saying.

colleyvillesooner
2/8/2005, 09:48 PM
Dayum son! You live in the same town with your mom and you have need of a washing machine. We gotta talk!

It's the same low pressure with hot or cold water. Guess I'll start researching how to replace that valve.

1stTimeCaller
2/8/2005, 09:59 PM
Fine. Ignore my professional advice. See if I try to help any of you hillbillies ever again.

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2005, 10:56 AM
**UPDATE**

Well, I figured out it is the Water linet valve, but I can't get to it. My washer doesn't have a liftable top, so I can't just lift it up and reach behind and grab the valve to replace it. Looks like I'll have to have a Sears guy come out, since I have no intention in taking off the entire cover.

OUDoc
2/15/2005, 11:01 AM
**UPDATE**

Well, I figured out it is the Water linet valve, but I can't get to it. My washer doesn't have a liftable top, so I can't just life it up and reach behind and grab the valve to replace it. Looks like I'll have to have a Sears guy come out, since I have no intention in taking of the entire cover.
I replaced one a few months ago. Very easy to do, if you can get the part ordered. Takes about 10 minutes to replace.

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2005, 11:18 AM
I replaced one a few months ago. Very easy to do, if you can get the part ordered. Takes about 10 minutes to replace.

I know that's what drives me crazy. I have a manual on how to do it and it looks simple I just can't get to the bugger.

OUDoc
2/15/2005, 11:20 AM
I know that's what drives me crazy. I have a manual on how to do it and it looks simple I just can't get to the bugger.
The back of the washer doen't come off?

Okla-homey
2/15/2005, 11:25 AM
The back of the washer doen't come off?

If it's a top loader, you should be able to remove some screws on the back and lift the whole top up which should then permit access to the inlet valve. Its probably got clips on the front of the top where it attaches to the cabinet, which will act rather like hinges once the back is free.

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2005, 11:33 AM
If it's a top loader, you should be able to remove some screws on the back and lift the whole top up which should then permit access to the inlet valve. Its probably got clips on the front of the top where it attaches to the cabinet, which will act rather like hinges once the back is free.

OOH OOH it has those!! I'm gonna try that and if it doesn't work, I'll post a picture of it when I get home tonight. Thanks!

olevetonahill
2/15/2005, 11:46 AM
Ben , these guys are prolly correct . But befor I replaced anything Id take the water hoses off and check the screens in em to make sure they arnt partly blocked . Could be in the move you knocked some junk loose and it pluged em up . :)

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2005, 11:52 AM
Ben , these guys are prolly correct . But befor I replaced anything Id take the water hoses off and check the screens in em to make sure they arnt partly blocked . Could be in the move you knocked some junk loose and it pluged em up . :)

Yeah, I checked the screens. One had little crap in it, but not enough to block that much water.

Okla-homey
2/15/2005, 01:00 PM
OOH OOH it has those!! I'm gonna try that and if it doesn't work, I'll post a picture of it when I get home tonight. Thanks!

Goody! This is going to be like one of those movies where they are forced to do an emergency appendectomy on a guy and all they have is a rusty pocketknife, a bottle of scotch and weak radio contact with a doctor. ;)

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2005, 05:32 PM
Well, I've got it taken apart, but I don't have the tool to get the little hex head screw off the drain. I got all the rest off with pliers, but this bugger ain't moving. Off to home depot!! I SHALL RETURN! Here are some pics I'll keep you guys updated, as if anyone cares ;)
http://img31.exs.cx/img31/2203/dsc009676zh.jpg http://img31.exs.cx/img31/4922/dsc009685ch.jpg

Okla-homey
2/15/2005, 05:48 PM
Well, I've got it taken apart, but I don't have the tool to get the little hex head screw off the drain. I got all the rest off with pliers, but this bugger ain't moving. Off to home depot!! I SHALL RETURN! Here are some pics I'll keep you guys updated, as if anyone cares ;)
http://img31.exs.cx/img31/2203/dsc009676zh.jpg http://img31.exs.cx/img31/4922/dsc009685ch.jpg

Git-R-Done...you're home free my man. I love any excuse to buy new tools. Nut drivers. Buy a set. English and Metric. Very handy. Also, there'll prolly be a hose clamp attaching that drain hose to the pump. You may need to remove it to get the hose outta the way, but not likely.

I trust you have the new inlet valve?

Don't worry, I'm right here with you. ;)

1stTimeCaller
2/15/2005, 06:16 PM
This kid is thinking. I'd have pulled it out 3 feet then climbed over the washer and been cussing the whole time. Not my man Colleyville, he pulled it out, turned it around and now has ample space and light to to the jorb.

Look at the big brain on Colleyville!!!!!

TOTP, do-it-yourselfing yeotches :D

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2005, 07:10 PM
Git-R-Done...you're home free my man. I love any excuse to buy new tools. Nut drivers. Buy a set. English and Metric. Very handy. Also, there'll prolly be a hose clamp attaching that drain hose to the pump. You may need to remove it to get the hose outta the way, but not likely.

I trust you have the new inlet valve?

Don't worry, I'm right here with you. ;)

Now where would the fun be in already having the new valve? ;) I just wanted to make sure I could get it out before I ordered the part. Cause if I couldn't, I was gonna have to call the Sears guy, and his *** could bring the new valve. But it's out and a new one is on the way. Hopefully I'll revive the thread next week and tell you all is A-OK. If not, I may end it all... :D

Okla-homey
2/15/2005, 07:23 PM
Now where would the fun be in already having the new valve? ;) I just wanted to make sure I could get it out before I ordered the part. Cause if I couldn't, I was gonna have to call the Sears guy, and his *** could bring the new valve. But it's out and a new one is on the way. Hopefully I'll revive the thread next week and tell you all is A-OK. If not, I may end it all... :D

there is nothing that cannot be done with SF.com!!!! Now, how's your car running?

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2005, 07:29 PM
there is nothing that cannot be done with SF.com!!!! Now, how's your car running?

HEH! Better to potentially destoy a $300 product than a $20,000 one :D

OUDoc
2/15/2005, 08:07 PM
Ought to get some new hoses. They're a BITCH if they rupture in the middle of the night (mine did once). The steel-braided ones are awesome! Good job.

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2005, 09:10 PM
Ought to get some new hoses. They're a BITCH if they rupture in the middle of the night (mine did once). The steel-braided ones are awesome! Good job.

Way ahead of ya, picked up two steel ones at home depot tonight :D

Okla-homey
2/15/2005, 09:56 PM

When we finally settle down and build our dream casa, the laundry room will have a floor drain cause sooner or later, it'll be needed. There will be a utility sink and a floor drain in the garage too.

just saying.

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2005, 09:57 PM
When we finally settle down and build our dream casa, the laundry room will have a floor drain cause sooner or later, it'll be needed. There will be a utility sink and a floor drain in the garage too.

just saying.

Utility sinks rule...they come in handy all the time

OUDoc
2/15/2005, 10:17 PM
My parents are building a house. Don't think I've convinced them of the beauty that is the utility sink. I'll convince them.

I'm so proud of you, colley! :D

OUDoc
2/24/2005, 08:56 PM
Well?

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2005, 01:05 AM
Ordered the part from Sears, but got disconnected while giving my card info. Called back, gave it, said it would be here Feb 22. It doesn't show, so I call back, and get this:

CSR : Looks like your order never got processed. It will get there Mar. 1 or you can pay $15.95 for Express Shipping to get there the 28th
Me: You mean I can pay only 15.95 for express shipping to get it here one day early when you guys messed up my order?
CSR : That's correct.
Me: Uhh, no.

She then tried to sell me a drill set.

I will update when I fix it, complete with pictures. Believe me, if I fix this thing, I will be bragging. :D

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2005, 03:53 PM
Oh I forgot to mention that I get pissed everytime I pass the laundry room...not good for my stress level...

colleyvillesooner
3/6/2005, 11:34 AM
I RULE! Washer now flows water.

Hear for your self - Success! (http://colleyvillesooner.com/stuff/Washer.wmv)

Only Problem now is this:

http://colleyvillesooner.com/stuff/plug.jpg

Doesn't fit into this:

http://colleyvillesooner.com/stuff/outlet.jpg

Is it easier to change out the wire, or the outlet? Keep in mind my first successful home repair is documented in this thread, and I'm not really looking to tackle something that might kill me. Thanks for everyone's help.

GottaHavePride
3/6/2005, 12:33 PM
You all missed the point! Look:

...I do jiggle with those from time to time.
A female poster said this and NOT ONE JOKE HAS BEEN MADE! You all are slipping. Seriously.

colleyvillesooner
3/6/2005, 01:23 PM
Sorry , I was in a zone...

Okla-homey
3/6/2005, 04:27 PM
I RULE! Washer now flows water.

Hear for your self - Success! (http://colleyvillesooner.com/stuff/Washer.wmv)

Only Problem now is this:

http://colleyvillesooner.com/stuff/plug.jpg

Doesn't fit into this:

http://colleyvillesooner.com/stuff/outlet.jpg

Is it easier to change out the wire, or the outlet? Keep in mind my first successful home repair is documented in this thread, and I'm not really looking to tackle something that might kill me. Thanks for everyone's help.

Get a new pigtail for the dryer. I can talk you thru it. 20 bucks or so. Your skillz are not yet sufficient to safely re-wire the outlet. Good jorb!

colleyvillesooner
3/6/2005, 04:35 PM
DONE!! Fixed the dryer plug and I am washing and drying clothes as we speak! I may just have to get a tool belt ;) Thanks again

OUDoc
3/7/2005, 09:55 AM
DONE!! Fixed the dryer plug and I am washing and drying clothes as we speak! I may just have to get a tool belt ;) Thanks again
Good job! I knew you could do it (I just didn't think it would take 6-8 weeks):D.

colleyvillesooner
3/7/2005, 10:28 AM
Good job! I knew you could do it (I just didn't think it would take 6-8 weeks):D.

Well, thanks to Sears it did. Installation wasn't that bad. Putting the washer back together 4 weeks after taking it apart was interesting to say the least... ;)

colleyvillesooner
8/8/2005, 04:51 PM
Just to make sure and appease SBSB, the washer is still working. Water doesn't come out as fast as I would like it on the cold setting, but, hey like extra screws when your done, it's all part of the process. :D

colleyvillesooner
3/15/2006, 11:39 AM
*Update*

After fixing the inlet valve, the pressure on the cold water wasn't as strong as could be. I called the apartments, they check and said pressure is fine. must be my machine. Well, I just moved to a new place, and wouldn't you know, cold and hot come out full blast. Stupid old apartments.

Now, if I could just get the washing tub to quit knocking. I checked and the machine is level, but it makes an awfully loud knocking sound when spinning. I swear, I can;t move this thing without something else going wrong with it.

Stanley1
3/15/2006, 12:27 PM
Heh

Okla-homey
3/15/2006, 12:34 PM
*Update*

After fixing the inlet valve, the pressure on the cold water wasn't as strong as could be. I called the apartments, they check and said pressure is fine. must be my machine. Well, I just moved to a new place, and wouldn't you know, cold and hot come out full blast. Stupid old apartments.

Now, if I could just get the washing tub to quit knocking. I checked and the machine is level, but it makes an awfully loud knocking sound when spinning. I swear, I can;t move this thing without something else going wrong with it.

Sounds like the transmission (seriously) about to go out. If that's it, time for new washer bro.

Petro-Sooner
3/15/2006, 01:23 PM
I bought at the time a brand new washer, three years ago or so. The hot water just trickles in. Did it from the start. Similar problem Colleyville had??

Okla-homey
3/15/2006, 01:31 PM
I bought at the time a brand new washer, three years ago or so. The hot water just trickles in. Did it from the start. Similar problem Colleyville had??

If you're sure the hot water inlet hose isn't kinked and the hot water tap is turned all the way, yep.

Petro-Sooner
3/15/2006, 01:51 PM
Now what again is this inlet value? Water flows from the wall into the hose into the back of the machine. I'm assuming that the water enters said value before it enters the tub. Correct? What s the role of the value? Thanks! Its always bugged me that it does this.

colleyvillesooner
3/15/2006, 02:32 PM
Now what again is this inlet value? Water flows from the wall into the hose into the back of the machine. I'm assuming that the water enters said value before it enters the tub. Correct? What s the role of the value? Thanks! Its always bugged me that it does this.

The valve is what you connect the hose to on the back of the washer, it has a filet screen on it to filter out stuff.

To test if it's your water pressure, disconnect the hose from the back of the washing machine only. Put the open end in the washer and turn it on. If the water comes out full blast, then it's probably the valve.

colleyvillesooner
3/15/2006, 02:33 PM
Sounds like the transmission (seriously) about to go out. If that's it, time for new washer bro.

Really, cause it really sounds like a kncoked the tub around while moving it. I can hold the back of the washer tight and it will quiet (not eliminate) the noise. Can the tub's get "off" or is it the transmission you speak of? I might video it and post it here tonight.