PDA

View Full Version : I hate the Happy Birthday Merge Thread

Howzit
2/5/2005, 11:41 AM
And want to drown it's kittens.

Just sayin.

Tailwind
2/5/2005, 07:35 PM
I also hate that thead........what was wrong with just saying happy birthday in individual threads? Sometims I think Mods hve way too much power.(ducks)

bri
2/5/2005, 08:47 PM
I don't see what the problem is...I got my own birthday thread. :D

Tailwind
2/5/2005, 10:15 PM
Yes, my dear...but we can't all be the Bri you know.

Norm In Norman
2/6/2005, 10:49 PM
This is quite an easy one. After months of having a new happy birthday thread every single day, WE HAD ENOUGH! If you really want to wish someone a happy birthday, then PM them or post in the thread. Every single day is someone's birthday. Do we really need 365 bd threads every year? This way it's at the top and I can ignore it easier.

If someone posted a thread entitled "I love pork chops" every day I'd merge them too.

And delete them. Should I delete it and all future BD threads? Maybe I missed the point.

Tailwind
2/6/2005, 11:39 PM
Ok, ok...I give. Although I do hate to wade through all those pages. But ok.....your wish is my command........unless your wish is that I shut up, anyway. :D

Beano's Fourth Chin
2/7/2005, 07:14 PM
I also hate that thead........what was wrong with just saying happy birthday in individual threads? Sometims I think Mods hve way too much power.(ducks)

In my opinion, mods don't have nearly enough power.

If I might make a suggestion, Norm.

Is there any way you could write a program so that I could reach through my monitor and slap a poster on the back of their head when I feel like it? Namely anyone with a one word userid.

Nobody in this thread, of course, you would totally expect it now. When i slap you, I want it to be a surprise.

jk the sooner fan
2/7/2005, 10:11 PM
soon-er-fan-jay-kay....whew, not one word.....carry on

btw, i agree with howzit and tailwing......personally the board should be "for the users", not for the mod's ....the birthday threads rarely stayed on page one longer than half a day....the old threads were more personal....

Tailwind
2/7/2005, 10:52 PM
In my opinion, mods don't have nearly enough power.

If I might make a suggestion, Norm.

Is there any way you could write a program so that I could reach through my monitor and slap a poster on the back of their head when I feel like it? Namely anyone with a one word userid.

Nobody in this thread, of course, you would totally expect it now. When i slap you, I want it to be a surprise. Hey, you can't slap me on the back of the head......I already ducked..(see I knew I would annoy someone) :P

Howzit
2/8/2005, 02:57 PM
I understand, and really am not complaining. But a couple of points:

To the "it's somebody's bd every day" argument, I would say yes, but how many of those are regulars on South Oval that someone would start a tread for?

To the argument that it promotes all these extra threads, I guess I would ask, so what? Maybe I'm missing something, but does an additional 365 threads matter? Is it the fact that you have to read them? My only real problem with it is that I think there are lot of birthdays I miss due to the merged thread, but it's no big deal. If it reduces your workload I can understand.

Thanks for the time you put in. Seriously.

I love you, Beano.

Norm In Norman
2/8/2005, 03:45 PM
Every single day on the front page it shows everyone's birthday. If you look there in the morning you won't miss a birthday.

What's the obsession? Couldn't you just pm, email or call someone and tell them happy birthday? Is the point of the thread to wish someone a happy birthday or to prove how nice you are in front of others? I honestly don't get it. I am a member of or browse several boards and this is the only one where I've seen people start a thread every single day to wish everyone a happy birthday. Even the Boston Terrier board I used to read occasionally doesn't do that and it was composed of about 95% females.

If there was 1 thread per day I probably wouldn't have had too much of a problem with it. If I remember correctly, the thing that set it all off though was when there were multiple birthday threads on one day for several days in a row. When I started merging them some wise *** decided to start more. Then I got pissed and decided to be a wiser ***.

And I take it that you 3 are the voice of the people? I've actually had a few people tell me I was right on about it - and that's not counting Beano or his troll handles.

I don't know - maybe we'll reconsider. I doubt it though. Another admin would have to back it up. And Dean's "Who gives a ****" doesn't count.

Sooner_Bob
2/8/2005, 03:48 PM
Give 'em an inch and they take a mile . . . :D

I got nuthin.

Howzit
2/8/2005, 03:49 PM
Norm, honest, it's not that big of a deal. I though this forum was for problems/suggestions, I made a suggestion. Take it or don't.

I don't claim to be the "voice of the people." Sorry.

Norm In Norman
2/8/2005, 04:00 PM
Hey, I got nothing better to do. I figured I may as well make it a big deal. Should I move this to the SO and make it a sticky? Just in case?

I guess my tone came off a bit Norm-ish. I'm really just trying to understand why some like it so much. I wasn't trying to start anything, I just wanted to understand. Maybe there is a reason I hadn't thought of, you know? I generally just assume I'm wrong.

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2005, 04:01 PM
the problem with PM'ing a "happy birthday" is it sort of defeats the point......i mean, do you celebrate birthday parties in private? no, they're done with others around....its a moment to remind everybody that its "so and so's" birthday....then others chime in, and it gives that person a "good feeling" for a day that some or most of his friends might take a moment to recognize him

with all the other crap on the board, i'm not sure how this is such a problem....its not like they stay on page 1 for very long anyway

Howzit
2/8/2005, 04:08 PM
No big Norm. I love you every bit as much as I love Beano.

I have two reasons behind it:

1) I am old. I forget ****, like all the time. I forget to look at whose bd it is. Shoot, I forget to look in the merged thread let alone go to the front page.

2) I am lazy. Even if it were not for 1), I would probably still not go look every day. If I see a hb thread wishing someone a happy birthday that I know, or whose posts I enjoy, I'll chime in.

But seriously, if it adds extra posts that you guys have to through that you normally wouldn't, don't do it.

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2005, 04:10 PM
alot of people just gloss over the sticky's, probably because they are overused and left up there too damn long........the IT being one of them

Howzit
2/8/2005, 04:16 PM
Well, not mine, little mister. I have MY OWN STICKY.

and it's wonderful...

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2005, 04:17 PM
another example of the mod's creating their own misery.....

Howzit
2/8/2005, 04:23 PM
Well it was wonderful while it lasted.

Norm In Norman
2/8/2005, 04:29 PM
I can't look at the name Beano any more.

Tailwind
2/9/2005, 12:44 PM
Sheesh, Normie....it was just an opinion......and, I never stopped to consider the extra work it makes for the mods. Ooops, sorry. Carry on. :D

Sooner_Bob
2/9/2005, 12:47 PM
What else is a message board for if not to wish birthday greetings to the masses? :mack:

They say it's your birthday . . . :eddie:

Tailwind
2/9/2005, 06:52 PM
Happy Birthday to you..........:D

Norm In Norman
2/10/2005, 04:24 PM
C'MON YOU QUITTERS! I'M NOT CONVINCED YET!

Howzit
2/10/2005, 09:50 PM
Whose trying to convince you? It was just a suggestion. Poll whiner.

OklahomaTrombone
2/12/2005, 09:50 PM
heh.

DCSooner
6/6/2005, 04:30 PM
Could we get an update on this?

TIA