PDA

View Full Version : How many Amway presentations you been to?

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/28/2005, 12:12 PM
I've been to 2, been hit up for many more.

For some reason, they don't hit me up anymore. But when I was a little younger, I could almost recite the little speech.

The best one was a friend from school who had moved to another state gave my name to a local Amway dude and he cold called me. He had the best tactic because I didn't catch on that it was Amway until I walked into the meeting room at the hotel. That's when mr. silver tongue got up to the podium. After I ate the free ordurves I was outta there.

Preying on your friends like that... that's not right.

dolemitesooner
1/28/2005, 12:14 PM
What is amway?

critical_phil
1/28/2005, 12:18 PM
i don't think they even call it amway anymore...........

it (network marketing) is a great concept, but it's not for everyone. i've actually made money at it (not amway).

most people get into it thinking it's a lotto ticket and don't realize that it's networking.

OUDoc
1/28/2005, 12:19 PM
None.

VeeJay
1/28/2005, 12:26 PM
Two.

I can see 'em coming now.

The last approach was many years ago. My friend kept yammering about "financial freedom." Said it was his goal, decried working 40 hours for someone else, then asked me if I was interested in "financial freedom."

I asked is it Amway and he stuttered a bit and said, "well, yes, it is."

Mrs. VJ was in it for a while before we got married and had so much crap stashed away in her townhouse. She had a filter for her kitchen faucet she's paid around $400 for. That thing was so big it took up half the counter space.

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/28/2005, 12:28 PM
They have good soap.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/28/2005, 12:29 PM
Now that got this new-fangled thing called 'Arbonne'.

And I've been invited to a couple already this year.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 12:30 PM
One. Pretty clever hook too.

I too was young (just out of school) and a dude stopped me at the airport (in OKC) as I was getting my luggage. He says "You look so familiar, where do you work?"...thinking he might know me, I told him. He said "no, that's not it. Anyway, thanks for your time."

A few days later, while at work he calls me (after getting my name through the company directory). Says he has a great businsess deal and is looking for someone to hire that wants to be in management and make a lot of money.

So, I fall for it and meet him for coffee.

I couldn't run away fast enough.

The end.

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/28/2005, 12:33 PM
that reminds me of a time I was travelling down in S. Texas for work. I stopped in at Chili's one night for dinner.

Then a couple of days later at home, I get a phone call. It was my waitress from Chili's calling to axe me out on a date. I'm like, you're crazy and I should have you fired. I guess she got my name off the credit card slip and then called everybody with my name in Houston until she got me.

The End.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/28/2005, 12:35 PM
It was your lips.

You're welcome.

AlbqSooner
1/28/2005, 12:35 PM
Approximately 1/10 of 1 percent of those who get into Amway or similar marketing programs make very good money.

The rest end up with a garage full of soap and an extended family that will no longer take their phone calls.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 12:36 PM
I once returned a rental car to Hertz and had the dude that takes the car (around to be cleaned, fueled, etc) tell me I had a nice suit, and then asked if he could borrow $50.

That's the best I got for you.

The end.

1/28/2005, 12:37 PM
This topic... man. I hate Amway.

It's happened twice. Both were good friends and great guys. They both were trying to do something to help their young families at the time.

Whoo-friggin' boy.

Been over a decade and I don't know how either of them are doing. I ended up being downright rude to both of them, but let them know I'd still be around to go fishing some time.

There is no other way out of that pitch.

What a bummer.

Howzit
1/28/2005, 12:37 PM
I once returned a rental car to Hertz and had the dude that takes the car (around to be cleaned, fueled, etc) tell me I had a nice suit, and then asked if he could borrow $50.

Hey, I was a little short. Cheapskate. And your leisure suit succed.

The end.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 12:39 PM
Hey, I was a little short. Cheapskate. And your leisure suit succed.

The end.

Hey, this is mine and beano's little game. Don't gay it all up!

The end.

Sooner51
1/28/2005, 12:39 PM
Confederated Products (http://www.moviequotequiz.com/othersounds/ConfederatedProducts.wav)

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/28/2005, 12:43 PM
I'm flipping you guys off through my computer monitors again.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 12:45 PM

But I thought we were bonding. No?

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2005, 01:01 PM
never amway, but I did get roped into a Mary Kay thing once. My friend just kept on and on that I just show up, didn't have to buy anything, but just my being there would get her free stuff. So I went, and right after we got started the girl passed around a piece of paper with boxes on it to everyone. In each box was a blank for a person's name and #, as well as prizes listed. For every person's name and # you filled in, you would get the prize listed in that particular box (mascara, lipstick, etc). I wasn't about to do that to my friends!!!! I'd have some free **** that I'd never use, and NO FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!

Could have done it to my "not so much friends", but I'm not even that mean.

yermom
1/28/2005, 01:07 PM
my Great-Grandparents made $$$ on Amway, they were in it pretty early, i never really had to deal with it, but i did see a lot of Amway products around my family's houses

i had other friends get into network marketing stuff, it usually ends up pretty sad

critical_phil
1/28/2005, 01:12 PM
my Great-Grandparents made $$$ on Amway, they were in it pretty early

timing is everything........................

Howzit
1/28/2005, 01:13 PM

Sorry Beano.

I actually used to sell Amway. Had a pretty clever hook too.

I would wait at the OKC airport for young, stupid looking dorks at the baggage claim.

I'd say "You look so familiar, where do you work?"...said young, stupid looking dork, thinking he might know me, would tell me. I'd say "no, that's not it. Anyway, thanks for your time."

Have you heard this?

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/28/2005, 01:15 PM
But I thought we were bonding. No?

Not just you, everyone. It's a stress reliever.

For when giving negative reputation points just won't cut it.

the-boulder
1/28/2005, 01:17 PM
this stuff is out of control these days- every female I come in contact with is doing arbonne, party light, southern living, tupperware, pampered chef, etc, etc.

IMO, it's a zero sum game. You can't make money because if you throw a party for your product and all your friends come over and buy it, then over the next few months you will be invited to all their parties and have to buy their stuff too. So, after a good rotation you have just spent as much as you brought in.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/28/2005, 01:19 PM
I know a chick that hosts sex toy parties. Invite a bunch of women, get them all crocked and sell them hot pink jelly vibes.

She's making a killing. She's about to quit her 'real' job.

I went to one of her 'parties' and I'll just say - they ain't like Pampered Chef parties.

Whoo-boy...

Howzit
1/28/2005, 01:23 PM
What did you buy?

1/28/2005, 01:24 PM
Well, I'm going to hell now.

OUDoc
1/28/2005, 01:28 PM
I know a chick that hosts sex toy parties. Invite a bunch of women, get them all crocked and sell them hot pink jelly vibes.

I went to one of her 'parties' and I'll just say - they ain't like Pampered Chef parties.

Whoo-boy...

Go on.......

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 01:28 PM
Did I mention the guy that approached me at the airport was clearly homosexual?

critical_phil
1/28/2005, 01:30 PM

i am making money. i did quit my "real" job. i'm NOT selling any hot pink jelly vibes.

i hate amway/shaklee/melaleuca/herbalife as much as the next guy, but imagine this: somewhere, long ago, there were a few folks that were the first people to introduce amway to oklahoma. those people were wildly successful. they were probably hard-working people that made their own circumstances and not excuses. after the ball got rolling, the system made them a killing.

all i know is that i quit my job after three months in Pharmanex. i have a nice home, nice cars, and go and do the things that i want to most of the time.

oh, and i'm in my underwear right now.....................

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/28/2005, 01:30 PM
Oh for the love of pete!?!

not you critical, those other people.

Norm In Norman
1/28/2005, 01:31 PM
Well, I'm going to hell now.
I'll be waiting for you.

Howzit
1/28/2005, 01:32 PM
Beano, you're flipping us off again. I just know it.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/28/2005, 01:33 PM
Sorry. The discussion just made me think of her. She's really making good money with it.

Gooooooooooooood money.

Howzit
1/28/2005, 01:35 PM
And your discussion made us think of...stuff.

Thanks.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 01:36 PM
And your discussion made us think of...stiff.

Thanks.

Holy cow Howzit...can we go one day without this crap?!

Norm In Norman
1/28/2005, 01:37 PM
I got pitched amway once in college. My cousin's hubby told me he wanted to test his pitch on me. I show up and I end up getting pitched by my high school chemistry teacher. He quit teching to become a fireman and sell amway. he was about the worst teacher I ever had.

He kept asking me why I didn't want to be rich and why I didn't want to have new cars every year. He "wasn't pushing me" or anything, but he "couldn't understand why I didn't want to be rich." That guy really screwed my cousin and husband over. They actually quit college because they thought they could pay off all their debt with amway. He only had 1 semester in engineering left too.

critical_phil
1/28/2005, 01:37 PM
sorry. i took the bait, and i knew better...................

i've never prospected ANYONE on this board (but i can't be held responsible if someone i have prospected gets to you.....and they will).

again, it's not for everyone. it's been outstanding for me.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/28/2005, 01:40 PM
*Sigh.*

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/28/2005, 01:41 PM
You're surprisingly cordial about all of this critical_phil. I tip my hat to you.

Beano's Fourth Chin
I got pitched amway once in college. My cousin's hubby told me he wanted to test his pitch on me. I show up and I end up getting pitched by my high school chemistry teacher. He quit teching to become a fireman and sell amway. he was about the worst teacher I ever had.

He kept asking me why I didn't want to be rich and why I didn't want to have new cars every year. He "wasn't pushing me" or anything, but he "couldn't understand why I didn't want to be rich." That guy really screwed my cousin and husband over. They actually quit college because they thought they could pay off all their debt with amway. He only had 1 semester in engineering left too.

Why don't you want to be rich Norm?

8timechamps
Me too, unless you were the dude at the airport. Then I tip my middle finger to you.

Boarder
1/28/2005, 01:43 PM
You know, Norm, if you were rich you could buy a Best Buy and fire everyone.

You'd have to be supa rich to buy the East side Wal Mart and straighten it out.

But, I guess if you don't wanna.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/28/2005, 01:45 PM
Norm would rather work for the state.

OUDoc
1/28/2005, 01:49 PM
I'll be waiting for you.
Satan? Is that you?

SoonerAtKU
1/28/2005, 01:49 PM
... called everybody with my name in Houston until she got me.

The End.

Honestly, how many Fourthchin, Beanos are there in the Houston book?

critical_phil
1/28/2005, 01:56 PM
You're surprisingly cordial about all of this critical_phil. I tip my hat to you.

and on this note, i must bid you farewell. i have to get cleaned up and drive to ardmore to do some networking.

you guys have a nice day.

http://www.gotyournumber.com (http://www.gotyournumber.com/)

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 01:57 PM
He got me. I clicked it.

SoonerAtKU
1/28/2005, 01:58 PM
There were a group of 3 guys who started working at my old job as temps. They'd show up every day in very similar clothes, all wearing black pants and vaguely shiny monochromatic shirts. I had to train one or two of them on occasion and they asked what I was pursuing a degree in. I said "Information Systems".

Blank look.

"What exactly is that?" Me: "well, it has to do with the transfer and storage of information, usually via computer networks."

Idiot's eyes get really bright: "What do you know about Marketing Networks?"

game over.

Norm In Norman
1/28/2005, 02:00 PM
I don't know why I don't want to be rich, I just don't. leave me alone.

BlondeSoonerGirl
I take back my 'sorry'.

It just wasn't sincere.

Sooner_Bob
My mom and dad sold it for a while. We really like their laundry detergent and other soaps. Sometimes their cleaning stuff was good too.

Now my wife buys something called Meleluca (sp) their cleaning stuff is pretty much all we use.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 02:02 PM
I buy most of my household cleaners and such at Target. Just FYI.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/28/2005, 02:03 PM

Whoo-boy...Is her name Andy Dick?

Norm In Norman
1/28/2005, 02:03 PM
Target? It sounds good. Could we have a meeting about why I should go to Target?

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 02:04 PM
I like Target. SuperTarget that is.

It's even got a little Starbucks in it.

Sooner_Bob
1/28/2005, 02:05 PM

Whoo-boy...

Oh to be a fly on the wall at one of those parties. :D

Norm In Norman
1/28/2005, 02:05 PM
So if I went to Super Target I would be able to go to Starbucks? How can I sign up for this awesome deal?

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 02:07 PM
I'll put a call in. Maybe I can pull a few strings for you. Would you like that?

Norm In Norman
1/28/2005, 02:08 PM
As long as it won't make me rich. i hate that.

Boarder
1/28/2005, 02:12 PM
As long as it won't make me rich. i hate that.
Why don't you want to be rich?

Howzit
1/28/2005, 02:13 PM
It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to pass through the gates of heaven.

Or something.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 02:15 PM
It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to pass through the gates of heaven.

Or something.

You are soooo stupid!

It's
It's easier to stick a needle in your eye than it is to make a camel rich.

SoonerAtKU
1/28/2005, 02:15 PM
Don't worry, nobody ever got rich by BUYING a cup of coffee for $5.

Now just be careful they don't try to talk you into SELLING it.

Howzit
1/28/2005, 02:16 PM
You are soooo stupid!

It's
It's easier to stick a needle in your eye than it is to make a camel rich.

I said or something!

GrapevineSooner
1/28/2005, 02:23 PM
I was at a park with my wife, mother-in-law, and my daughter when this other guy who was playing with his kids noticed my Red Sox hat and said 'Hey, I'm a Sox fan, too.' He then said he was running his own business and was looking to add some people specialized in tech support, so I told him I wouldn't mind making a little money on the side.

We exchanged phone numbers and a few days later, he called me and setup the 'interview' at my home (this should have been my first clue). As it turned out, the 'interview' was a sales pitch for Quixtar, a ponzi scheme just like Amway. I let him go through his entire pitch making him believe that I was going to bite before telling him I wasn't interested. :D

So he hands me his card and says 'well I'm going to give you my card just in case you know anyone is interested. Even if you rip the card up after I leave (which I did), I'll still make $1,000 just by handing you this card.'

OUDoc
1/28/2005, 02:26 PM
Even if you rip the card up after I leave (which I did), I'll still make $1,000 just by handing you this card.'
You should have made him a millionaire and ripped up all his cards. Be a giver, grapevine.

TUSooner
1/28/2005, 02:38 PM
Once. I was in law school and another student's husband started taking to me about his "business". Everything nice and vague until I went over to the house. When I finally heard "Amway" it was all over. I thought of my dear old Amway-selling Aunt Leona (God rest her soul - did I tell you she used to babysit Toby Keith?). But anyway, I could have shot him and his wife cold dead with just my eyes. I felt like a sucker, a real mad homicidal sucker. But I got over it. Now, whenever somebody starts to talk about their "business" I stab their guts out (figuratively speaking, of course).

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 02:42 PM
Did I ever tell you how much I like you TUSooner? I mean, you wouldn't want to hurt me or anything, right?

TUSooner
1/28/2005, 02:58 PM
Did I ever tell you how much I like you TUSooner? I mean, you wouldn't want to hurt me or anything, right?
Did I sound angry? Sorry, I've just been talking to Mrs. TU on the phone, and I may perhaps be a just little agitated. heh. Don't worry, I hardly ever REALLY kill anybody!

dolemitesooner
1/28/2005, 03:08 PM
ok so now after reading this thread the answer is o

Norm In Norman
1/28/2005, 03:14 PM
ok so now after reading this thread the answer is o
You are the funniest guy on this board. Seriously.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 03:15 PM
I haven't laughed this much at the SO in a loooong time.

Mjcpr
1/28/2005, 03:17 PM
I haven't laughed this much at the SO in a loooong time.
Clearly, I've missed something.

;)

Norm In Norman
1/28/2005, 03:17 PM
THE ANSWER IS O, DAMNIT!

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 03:22 PM
THE ANSWER IS O, DAMNIT!

No, it's o.

Howzit
1/28/2005, 03:24 PM
oh.

HoserSooner
1/28/2005, 03:31 PM
I got tricked into attending a sales pitch for a thing called 'Primerica' about 10 years ago. Kind of the same 'Multi-Level Marketing' deal that Amway does, but it was for selling Insurance.

Got out of there in a hurry.

StoopTroup
1/28/2005, 03:31 PM
Melalueca...

Man they have some really great products.

Man they have alot of weirdos running it.

If they would give me full control and let me do some house cleaning, I could take that baby public and put some of these other crap-ways to death...

Of course their would be some Melaueca Products I would need to bury too...but I can tell you that we miss using some of them...

I don't miss making Mr. Pember, the Tulsa rep...very rich however...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/28/2005, 03:34 PM
I've never been to an Amway presentation, but in college I went to a "seminar" for a company that wanted me to sell knives door to door. You had to buy your kit of butcher knives. Now that sounds safe for a college girl, no?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/28/2005, 03:35 PM
Melalueca...

Man they have some really great products.

Man they have alot of weirdos running it.

If they would give me full control and let me do some house cleaning, I could take that baby public and put some of these other crap-ways to death...

Of course their would be some Melaueca Products I would need to bury too...but I can tell you that we miss using some of them...

I don't miss making Mr. Pember, the Tulsa rep...very rich however...Melaleuca products are good, but they no longer have the tea tree oil market cornered.

Norman Norm In
1/28/2005, 03:36 PM
It's all about the O.

oh, and I do want to be rich.

SoonerInKCMO
1/28/2005, 03:36 PM
I've never been to an Amway presentation, but in college I went to a "seminar" for a company that wanted me to sell knives door to door. You had to buy your kit of butcher knives. Now that sounds safe for a college girl, no?

Vector Marketing? Cutco Cutlery?

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 03:37 PM
I got tricked into attending a sales pitch for a thing called 'Primerica' about 10 years ago. Kind of the same 'Multi-Level Marketing' deal that Amway does, but it was for selling Insurance.

Got out of there in a hurry.

Yeah, a lot of people get roped into that. They are to the financial world what Amway is to the retail world.

BigRedJed
1/28/2005, 03:39 PM
After being offline most of the day, I come into this thread and am shocked at the lack of play BSG's jelly vibe post got. I'm very disappointed in you people. Frankly, I'm pitching a tent over here.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 03:41 PM
After being offline most of the day, I come into this thread and am shocked at the lack of play BSG's jelly vibe post got. I'm very disappointed in you people. Frankly, I'm pitching a tent over here.

I don't think your doctor would like to know that.

Howzit
1/28/2005, 03:44 PM
Jed, just don't ask her "how did it phil?"

Between the double entendre and the word "phil" she might rip off your head and poot in your neck.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 03:47 PM
What your language Howzit!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/28/2005, 03:47 PM
Vector Marketing? Cutco Cutlery?Vector sounds familiar. I didn't know it was knife sales until I got there.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/28/2005, 03:48 PM
After being offline most of the day, I come into this thread and am shocked at the lack of play BSG's jelly vibe post got. I'm very disappointed in you people. Frankly, I'm pitching a tent over here.BSG is hosting a party on Sunday afternoon. You can come by for the samples.

Mjcpr
Vector sounds familiar. I didn't know it was knife sales until I got there.
What's your Vector, Victor?

Widescreen
So he hands me his card and says 'well I'm going to give you my card just in case you know anyone is interested. Even if you rip the card up after I leave (which I did), I'll still make $1,000 just by handing you this card.'

GVS, you should've asked him how much he got if you kicked his ***. And then proceeded to do so before he could answer.

I had a high school friend that called me out of the blue when I was a year or so out of college. He wanted me and my wife to meet he and his girlfriend at a restaurant so we went. Everything was fine. 2 days later, he calls and tells me he's got a business opportunity he wants me to get in on so he comes over and starts in with the Amway stuff. He laid on the "why don't you want to be rich?" crap and I responded "Look around you, dumbass. I am rich." He didn't really know how to respond to that. I told him to get out and I haven't spoken to him since. (Note: I'm not actually rich. But I apparently would have been had I sold Amway).

The very first time I got hit up for Amway was when the barber that I went to through college started talking it up while I was in his chair with him having sharp objects in his hands. He kept pushing to have to go to a meeting at some hotel. He lost a longtime customer that day.

PhxSooner
1/28/2005, 04:01 PM
Had a friend of a friend ask me just to "let" her show me Mary Kay. Like an idiot, I go to the local meeting, which was like a revival/mob meeting. They cheered for new lipstick, and "gently" trashed the girls who weren't selling alot. My new friend asks if I want to join, and I tell her that I have no intention of handing over $3K for makeup. End of new friendship!

Rhino
1/28/2005, 04:08 PM
That guy really screwed my cousin and husband over. NTTAWWT.

OUDoc
1/28/2005, 04:17 PM
I tried to draw attention to it, but the "triplets" keep posting together. :D

And, I thought you were tentless, Jed.

Mjcpr
1/28/2005, 04:20 PM
Sad. What has the SO come to?

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 04:21 PM
Those damn triplets!

Herr Scholz
1/28/2005, 04:23 PM
You guys don't know anything. My poor Dad got into that Amway crap. One summer he took the whole family up to the Amway national convention in Missouri. What a freaking cult that was.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/28/2005, 04:26 PM

And, I thought you were tentless, Jed.The only triplets around here are named Dahm.

Mjcpr
1/28/2005, 04:27 PM
The only triplets around here are named Dahm.
They've been dahm quiet lately.

Or else they've been drowned out by the other triplets.

;)

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 04:28 PM
I got yer triplets...

Mjcpr
1/28/2005, 04:28 PM
I got yer triplets...
Better get that checked out 8x, one of 'em is probably an ovary.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 04:29 PM
A south ovary to you!

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2005, 04:41 PM
I remember all the people selling Advocare. In my hometown I think there were more people trying to sell it than people living there! It was nuts.

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/28/2005, 04:52 PM
No way this thread has over a hundred posts.

I'm giving all of you the double finger now.

Can you deal with THAt?1!!

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 04:53 PM
I'm not sure, but I think you ended that on a dolemite note.

Mjcpr
1/28/2005, 04:54 PM
I'm giving all of you the finger now.

Can you deal with THAt?1!! Same here MF'ers!!! Take that....plus I'm whacking it on the monitor for effectiveness.

Wait...

Norm In Norman
1/28/2005, 04:55 PM
There's too far, and then there is where mjcpr takes it.

Mjcpr
1/28/2005, 04:55 PM
There's too far, and then there is where mjcpr takes it.
My middle finger....sick bastage.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 04:56 PM
Kinda like this?

A. Too Far

B. Mjcpr

C. dolemite ****zz!!11!! yo!!1

OUDoc
1/28/2005, 04:57 PM
....plus I'm whacking it on the monitor for effectiveness.
Probably what's making it fluffy.

Mjcpr
1/28/2005, 04:57 PM
Kinda like this?

A. Too Far

B. Mjcpr

C. dolemite ****zz!!11!! yo!!1
*sigh*

This forum has been in the gutter for the better part of 2 months and I get called it for that?

Okay......:rolleyes:

Mjcpr
1/28/2005, 04:58 PM
Probably what's making it fluffy. Too far.

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2005, 04:58 PM
http://brian76.mystarband.net/baby-finger.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/28/2005, 04:59 PM
JELLY VIBES!!!

8timechamps
*sigh*

This forum has been in the gutter for the better part of 2 months and I get called it for that?

Okay......:rolleyes:

Save it, triplet!

TopDaugIn2000
BSG, I better get invited to the next vibe party!!!!!!!

Howzit
1/28/2005, 05:00 PM
Can I PLEASE get a post in here?

Howzit
1/28/2005, 05:02 PM
I'm philin' that good vibration
it's givin me ex-ci-tation

Rhino
1/28/2005, 05:03 PM
This isn't an Amway story, but another pyramid scheme story.

So, I was two years out of college and had just been laid off from my first full-time job. This was at the height of the unemployment climb in 2003. I was unemployed for six months before I finding my current job. I'm sending out around twenty-some-odd resumes per week and getting about negative one responses per week. And these are for jobs I don't even want.

I get this call from a "sports and entertainment marketing firm" and they invite me in for an interview. The first interview, I meet a couple of their marketing team. Nice people. Highly motivated dude interviews me. Seems like a fun place to work. But, I question -- why do they only have three offices for eight people? Why are there five other people interviewing at the same time as me? Why did the ad say to contact Shirley, when no Shirley even works here? Questions like that didn't really matter to me at that point in my life. I could be hired as a hit man and I would be happy just having a job.

A couple days after the first interview, I get called back for a second interview and shadowing session. Over the phone, they say I'll spend the day with a jr. consultant or some crap. They tell me I'll join him as he meets with clients throughout the day and learn the business.

So, I show up and there's like four other dudes there shadowing too. In walk the four jr. consultant dudes. We pile in two cars and head to fill up on gas. They feed us some lines about the company, its history, etc. to distract us. We start driving and, as they're distracting us, I look up and think to myself "why are we passing Yukon? That's the furthest west part of the metro." About ten minutes pass, I look up and think to myself "why are we passing El Reno? That's the furthest west part of Oklahoma civilization." About ten more minutes pass, I think to myself "man, we sure are driving a lot. I hope we're marketing a new rollerball sport or something." Then we arrive to our city's location and I think to myself "hey, my sister lives in Weatherford! Are we visiting my sister?"

I'm still unsure what we're doing in Weatherford, I figure we're doing something with SWOSU. (For those not familiar with Weatherford, it's about 75 miles west of Oklahoma City.) Then we get a city permit for something and we go to this neighborhood and park the car. "Well, guys - here's what we're doing today. We're in a race with the other team beginning now to sell the most coupons we can before 6pm" (Mind you, it's 11am at this point.). "We're selling coupons to Alfredo's Mexican Restaurant, where if they buy 10 coupons, they've paid for their cost ten fold." At this point, I ask, "What does this have to do with sports or entertainment marketing?" He replies, "Well, this is just a special two-week promotion. We don't solely do sports and entertainment marketing". (Looking back, I should have asked what it had to do with "marketing".) So, I'm sure you've realized by now what we're doing.

DOOR-TO-DOOR "MARKETING"

For the next seven hours, I walk around this hot summer-*** heat in a suit and tie with uncomfortable-*** shoes, selling ****ing coupons. At lunch, they explain the pyramid scheme and how we could get super-rich after we walk our asses around door-to-door for five years. Also, if you sell ten coupon books a day, you get paid $10 per book and pay out your sr. manager dude like 10%. If you sell under ten books, you still get paid $10 per book, but pay our your sr. manager dude like 15%. What horse****.

In hindsight, I should have called my sister at lunch and asked her to come get me and take me back to OKC. So, after a handful of miles, more than a handful of upset and annoying families, tons of blisters on my sweaty-*** feet and a sunburned bald-*** head, we head back to OKC. Right before we get to the office, they tell us we're going to go inside and get the paperwork finished for us to begin working the following week. It's like 8pm at this point.

We arrive at the office and I pull jr. consultant dude aside and say, "I'm not interested in the job so I'm not coming in." He replies, "Why not?" I, trying to be as nice as possible, say, "I'm just not interested." He replies, "Well, good luck trying to find something that will pay you more money than this." At that point, I should have kicked him in the teeth. Had he not had all of my information on file, I probably would have.

Man. I never want to be unemployed again.

Norm In Norman
1/28/2005, 05:04 PM
Did you like type all that?

Rhino
1/28/2005, 05:05 PM
unfortunately.

1/28/2005, 05:05 PM
Herr went to an Amway convention.

HAR DE FRIGGIN HAR!!!

Mjcpr
1/28/2005, 05:07 PM
Save it, triplet!
Nuh uh. You're not dragging me into your sick world.

8timechamps
1/28/2005, 05:07 PM
All I could think about while reading Rhino's story was Uncle Rico from Napolean Dynamite.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/28/2005, 05:08 PM
JELLY VIBES!!!They don't care. They really don't care. It makes me :(

Rhino
1/28/2005, 05:08 PM
http://img86.exs.cx/img86/3117/cliffnotes.jpg

I was unemployed.
Got an interview.
Shady.
Yukon, El Reno, Weatherford, WTF?
Mexican coupons?
Door to door :mad:
Horse****!
No thanks, *********.

Herr Scholz
1/28/2005, 05:09 PM
Herr went to an Amway convention.

HAR DE FRIGGIN HAR!!!
Painful.

Norm In Norman
1/28/2005, 05:09 PM
unfortunately.
Dude, that's horrible. Did you at least get some money out of it? About Yukon I would have been afraid that I was going to be shot in the head or sold to some sort of Russian mafia as a slave or something.

BigRedJed
1/28/2005, 05:13 PM
...And, I thought you were tentless, Jed.I wasn't tentless for long. I'm a survivor.

1/28/2005, 05:14 PM
I think I bought some cologne or a gold chain or something from Rhino one time.

God bless 'em.

Mjcpr
1/28/2005, 05:17 PM
unfortunately.
I think I would've taken a cab home before I would've sold anything door-to-door. That would have succed. Hard.

jk the sooner fan
1/28/2005, 05:17 PM
does shaklee count?

BigRedJed
1/28/2005, 05:18 PM
BSG is hosting a party on Sunday afternoon. You can come by for the samples.Don't tempt me. I've been wanting to try this thing out on someone, just to make sure it still works.

Widescreen
1/28/2005, 05:23 PM
Don't tempt me. I've been wanting to try this thing out on someone, just to make sure it still works.

Just 'someone'? Please tell me that doesn't mean 'Anyone in close proximity'.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/28/2005, 05:23 PM
Rhino.

Dude.

That succs. And that's really the best way I know to say it.

Rhino
1/28/2005, 05:32 PM
Dude, that's horrible. Did you at least get some money out of it? About Yukon I would have been afraid that I was going to be shot in the head or sold to some sort of Russian mafia as a slave or something. No money whatsoever, just a wasted day and an entertaining story.

I've been a Russian mafia slave before. It's good work, just not much money.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/28/2005, 05:32 PM
Way to take one for the team, man.

BigRedJed
1/28/2005, 05:33 PM
Dude, that's horrible. Did you at least get some money out of it? About Yukon I would have been afraid that I was going to be shot in the head or sold to some sort of Russian mafia as a slave or something.I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks for typing all that Rhino. You're one of the few people who could post something that long which I'd bother to read, FWIW.

TUSooner
1/28/2005, 05:49 PM
Great story, Rhino. It makes me almost want to know WTF really happened. :D

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2005, 03:24 PM
I just wanted to revive this thread...I JUST GOT A CALL AT WORK FROM A PRIMERICA GUY........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Apparenlty someone gave out my name and ##......ARCGH!

saucysoonergal
2/8/2005, 03:36 PM
I had a friend call me one day to come pick him up on the southside...he was doing the same thing for the Oklahoma Wildlife Foundation.

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2005, 03:36 PM
but to call me AT WORK!!!!!!!!!

guess it's better than dinner time at home. not so sure though.

once i figured it out he was like "did I catch you at a bad time?" and I go "well, I don't think WORK is the best place to call a person when you are asking if they want another job!!!"

GrapevineSooner
2/8/2005, 03:39 PM
Damn.

Rhino's story makes my little fling with a Ponzi scheme seem like a walk in the park.

Beano's Fourth Chin
4/14/2006, 05:43 PM
This isn't an Amway story, but another pyramid scheme story.

So, I was two years out of college and had just been laid off from my first full-time job. This was at the height of the unemployment climb in 2003. I was unemployed for six months before I finding my current job. I'm sending out around twenty-some-odd resumes per week and getting about negative one responses per week. And these are for jobs I don't even want.

I get this call from a "sports and entertainment marketing firm" and they invite me in for an interview. The first interview, I meet a couple of their marketing team. Nice people. Highly motivated dude interviews me. Seems like a fun place to work. But, I question -- why do they only have three offices for eight people? Why are there five other people interviewing at the same time as me? Why did the ad say to contact Shirley, when no Shirley even works here? Questions like that didn't really matter to me at that point in my life. I could be hired as a hit man and I would be happy just having a job.

A couple days after the first interview, I get called back for a second interview and shadowing session. Over the phone, they say I'll spend the day with a jr. consultant or some crap. They tell me I'll join him as he meets with clients throughout the day and learn the business.

So, I show up and there's like four other dudes there shadowing too. In walk the four jr. consultant dudes. We pile in two cars and head to fill up on gas. They feed us some lines about the company, its history, etc. to distract us. We start driving and, as they're distracting us, I look up and think to myself "why are we passing Yukon? That's the furthest west part of the metro." About ten minutes pass, I look up and think to myself "why are we passing El Reno? That's the furthest west part of Oklahoma civilization." About ten more minutes pass, I think to myself "man, we sure are driving a lot. I hope we're marketing a new rollerball sport or something." Then we arrive to our city's location and I think to myself "hey, my sister lives in Weatherford! Are we visiting my sister?"

I'm still unsure what we're doing in Weatherford, I figure we're doing something with SWOSU. (For those not familiar with Weatherford, it's about 75 miles west of Oklahoma City.) Then we get a city permit for something and we go to this neighborhood and park the car. "Well, guys - here's what we're doing today. We're in a race with the other team beginning now to sell the most coupons we can before 6pm" (Mind you, it's 11am at this point.). "We're selling coupons to Alfredo's Mexican Restaurant, where if they buy 10 coupons, they've paid for their cost ten fold." At this point, I ask, "What does this have to do with sports or entertainment marketing?" He replies, "Well, this is just a special two-week promotion. We don't solely do sports and entertainment marketing". (Looking back, I should have asked what it had to do with "marketing".) So, I'm sure you've realized by now what we're doing.

DOOR-TO-DOOR "MARKETING"

For the next seven hours, I walk around this hot summer-*** heat in a suit and tie with uncomfortable-*** shoes, selling ****ing coupons. At lunch, they explain the pyramid scheme and how we could get super-rich after we walk our asses around door-to-door for five years. Also, if you sell ten coupon books a day, you get paid $10 per book and pay out your sr. manager dude like 10%. If you sell under ten books, you still get paid $10 per book, but pay our your sr. manager dude like 15%. What horse****.

In hindsight, I should have called my sister at lunch and asked her to come get me and take me back to OKC. So, after a handful of miles, more than a handful of upset and annoying families, tons of blisters on my sweaty-*** feet and a sunburned bald-*** head, we head back to OKC. Right before we get to the office, they tell us we're going to go inside and get the paperwork finished for us to begin working the following week. It's like 8pm at this point.

We arrive at the office and I pull jr. consultant dude aside and say, "I'm not interested in the job so I'm not coming in." He replies, "Why not?" I, trying to be as nice as possible, say, "I'm just not interested." He replies, "Well, good luck trying to find something that will pay you more money than this." At that point, I should have kicked him in the teeth. Had he not had all of my information on file, I probably would have.

Man. I never want to be unemployed again.

Kidnapping certainly trumps the bad slideshow I had to endure.

Rhino
4/14/2006, 06:04 PM
I think I need to go to my happy place now.

Grimey
8/10/2007, 03:16 PM
Mona Vie is the new Amway.

SoonerBOI
8/10/2007, 06:13 PM
none.

OUWxGuesser
8/10/2007, 10:38 PM
I received a call a year and a half ago during in between finishing up my M.S. and starting work on the PhD. Lady says "hello, your friend recommended you to us. We have an excellent opportunity for you to become a manager" blablabla. I said, let me think about it... get a doctorate or become a manager. That shut her up pretty quick. She asked if I had the phone numbers of any friends that would be interested. Uh no???? I never did find out which "friend" gave out my info.

royalfan5
8/10/2007, 11:53 PM
I get pitched amway or something similar while waiting in line at Target the other day. I wasn't thrilled.