PDA

View Full Version : Chatham (VA) Hargrave Military Academy

Ruuuuuufus
1/25/2005, 02:53 AM
According to Rivals Chatham (VA) Hargrave Military has 19 players ranked in the Top 25 Prep high school football players, all ranked 3 stars or higher. We have a DT commit from there at the moment. Anyone know anything about this school, their size or their team?

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1056

Mjcpr
1/25/2005, 12:09 PM
They're pretty good.

usmc-sooner
1/25/2005, 01:09 PM
when I lived in Virginia they were really good.

my neighbor played there and he played college ball. His father also played there and he played for the Green Bay Packers.

That whole area is rich in recruiting Chatham, Martinsville.

Reno
1/25/2005, 05:13 PM
It was too bad to see De La Salle (Concord, CA) lose this year. Going ten years without a loss, that is probably one of the best records in all of sports. High School or not. My Uncle use to play quarterback for them and still holds a record or two there as a quarterback. I'm not sure if that school can ever be topped for that kind of accomplishment. Chatham is not a school to scoff at though. That's pretty amazing too.

GREENnTN
1/26/2005, 12:40 PM
Prep school football factory... many SEC schools sign and place their nonqualifiers there so that they have another year to qualify (get grades up, pass test) and then re-sign with the original school and have 4 full years of eligibility

RedstickSooner
1/26/2005, 03:18 PM
I have to admit, I'm always a little suspicious when there's so many good players at one school. Yeah, schools like that lure a lot of players to them -- but being on a great team can pad your stats a little, make you look better than you would otherwise.

For instance, let's say you're a great defensive tackle. If you play on a crappy team, you're going to get double and triple teamed every single down. But if you're on a great team, they can't afford to do that -- because the other defensive tackle might be just as dangerous as you are.

A QB on a great team gets more time to block, has better receivers, etc. etc. I'm not saying great teams don't have great players -- just that it sometimes seems as if those great squads inflate the true ability of those players.

Which is also why it always puzzles me a bit that many blue-chip recruits avoid going to play where there is talent at their position. If I was, say, a great defensive lineman, I'd want to play at a school with a couple other great defensive linemen -- because I'd be more likely to get more sacks, since offenses couldn't gameplan to stop me.

Just my two cents, though.

soonerspiff
1/26/2005, 05:33 PM
You make very strong points, redstick, but the thing you have to understand is that these players don't think the way you or I think. They believe they have great stats because of themselves, not necessarily because of the team around them. Often people have been patting them on the back for so long they lose any sense of humility. They think they're "the best", and would rather go to a place where they can play, instead of one where they can win.

SilliSooner
1/27/2005, 11:30 PM
Some really great players came from bad teams.

These players had to scramble, didn't have the best blocking, etc
Clendon Thomas, one of Bud's best running backs, came from Southeast High in Okla City on a team that won three games in two years and once got beat by 82-6.

usmc-sooner
1/28/2005, 07:49 AM
I wasn't so much speaking of the Military Academy as that area. Chatham, Martinsville, Danville produce some outstanding players.

Ruuuuuufus
8/30/2005, 09:38 AM
Was perusing some articles when I found the non-qualifier list for the incoming freshman class.

On the defensive line alone, Hargrave managed to grab (Rivals rank):
Melvin Alaeze (#1 Strongside DE, #4 overall, 6'2", 277, originally Maryland commit)
Justin Mincey (#4 Strongside DE, #44 overall, 6'5", 240, originally FSU commit)
Callahan Bright (#2 DT, #14 overall, 6'2", 315, originally FSU commit)
Jerrell Powe (#3 DT, #24 overall, 6'3", 352, originally Ole Miss commit)

How would you like to be an offensive lineman facing those guys?

If that wasn't enough they also happened to get the #1 OG (Michigan commit) and #5 OT (FSU) nationally.

OUGreg723
8/30/2005, 10:13 AM
Let me tell you, These guys look like they are a DII team. They are one of the faster and scariest High School Football Teams i have ever seen. Well coached team, with good players( who are also good citizens)