PDA

View Full Version : Movie Spoilers

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/20/2005, 11:11 AM
How much time must pass before it's ok to talk about the ending of a particular movie?

I remember reading reviews of Matrix Revolutions and in the opening paragraph it basically laid out the entire plot of Matrix Reloaded (if you can do that in a paragraph).

Now, it's perfectly acceptable to discuss the 'twist' of the Sixth Sense.

Is it just recent movies with a special plot twist that are not allowed?

It still feels a little wrong to talk specifically about the ending of "Usual Suspects" and that one's been out for years.

But with the tv show survivor, if someone found out the winner before hand, it would be big news and perfectly acceptable to talk about.

Your thoughts?

Norm In Norman
1/20/2005, 11:15 AM
His whole life was a TV show! That's why everything was perfect!

We quote office space and christmas vacation all the time. isn't that a spoiler?

bri
1/20/2005, 11:15 AM
*********SPOILER ALERT!!!*************

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/20/2005, 11:16 AM
*********SPOILER ALERT!!!*************

Without one of those things, I'm talking.

jreed13
1/20/2005, 11:17 AM
One of my friends gave away the ending of "the passion".

Norm In Norman
1/20/2005, 11:19 AM
To actually address the issue at hand, I think the first month a movie is out is a given (Theater or DVD). After that, it's free game. There is always going to be someone who hasn't seen a particular movie, so if they didn't want it spoiled they should have watched the movie.

crawfish
1/20/2005, 11:23 AM
Sadly, I never had the experience of watching "Psycho" without knowing that Norman was his mom in drag. :(

Widescreen
1/20/2005, 11:29 AM
Sadly, I never had the experience of watching "Psycho" without knowing that Norman was his mom in drag. :(

WTF? I was going to watch that for the first time tonight. :mad: :D

GDC
1/20/2005, 11:43 AM
I still don't understand exactly what happened in The Usual Suspects, and I have seen it 10-15 times.

TopDaugIn2000
1/20/2005, 11:45 AM
Titanic - It sunk

Boarder
1/20/2005, 12:05 PM
I think message board etiquette says that all discussion must be occompanied by a spoiler alert. Especially on movie sites. I know of one where there is a zero tolerance, even if you say that Dorothy was dreaming about Oz.

It depends on the crowd. This crowd is pretty movie spoiler liberal.

picasso
1/20/2005, 12:09 PM
Both heroes die in Open Water.

Cold, wet and stupid is not the way I wanna go.

Oh yeah, Frodo gives all his buddies a gay stare down at the end of Return of the King.

yermom
1/20/2005, 12:13 PM
Titanic - It stunk

yep.

Jimminy Crimson
1/20/2005, 12:14 PM
There is always going to be someone who hasn't seen a particular movie, so if they didn't want it spoiled they should have watched the movie.

...or just don't click the thread? ;)

Jimminy Crimson
1/20/2005, 12:15 PM
One of my friends gave away the ending of "the passion".

But the book ended differently... :confused:

I kid, I kid!

XingTheRubicon
1/20/2005, 12:26 PM
Depends, if the movie is a suspense flick with a surprise ending........then never.

Pricetag
1/20/2005, 02:50 PM
I remember not long after the last Cheers episode was on, I was hanging out with some of my buddies, and said, "I can't believe Sam and Diane didn't stay together." One of my friends hadn't seen the episode yet, and he wasn't very happy about it.

Reno
1/20/2005, 02:53 PM
Alexander sucked... ahem... was really bad.

OU4LIFE
2/8/2005, 04:02 PM
2 weeks.

Okla-homey
2/8/2005, 04:18 PM
Ray Charles got off heroin and became a beloved international super-star.

So there.

soonerboomer93
2/8/2005, 04:42 PM
the underdogs win on a last second miracle play

Pricetag
2/8/2005, 04:46 PM
the underdogs win on a last second miracle play
I finally saw Friday Night Lights a couple of weeks back, and I can't believe that movie had been out so long and I didn't hear that the ending was not going to be what I expected.

That movie was totally overrated. The character development was nil. We got a precious few fragments of these folks' lives sprinkled randomly throughout the movie. I kept trying to figure out why I was supposed to care about these people. And why the hell was Billy Bob Thornton wearing lipstick? It couldn't touch Remember the Titans.

8timechamps
2/8/2005, 05:00 PM
I think Friday Night Lights was more a story of Texas HS football than that of the influence a racist community had on the team (like Remember the Titans).

I like Friday Night Lights.

BudSooner
2/8/2005, 07:20 PM
I picked up the flick "Deep Throat" thinking it had to do with Nixon and Watergate...who knew??

Anyone know how Oliver Stone's "JFK" comes out?

picasso
2/8/2005, 07:44 PM
I picked up the flick "Deep Throat" thinking it had to do with Nixon and Watergate...who knew??

Anyone know how Oliver Stone's "JFK" comes out?

was there a climactic ending?

badump crash!!!

KC//CRIMSON
2/8/2005, 07:47 PM
Predator wins.

Or does he? Hmmmm.

mdklatt
2/8/2005, 08:56 PM
Einhorn's a man! :eek:

mrowl
2/8/2005, 09:09 PM
when can I talk about how pissed off I was at the end of Million Dollar Baby?!?!?!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

afs
2/8/2005, 09:15 PM
what is the obsession with Russian Roulette in The Deer Hunter?

picasso
2/10/2005, 12:26 AM
what is the obsession with Russian Roulette in The Deer Hunter?

well, it was either that or return home to brown polyester suits, bowling, and women who look like meryl streep.

47straight
2/10/2005, 12:36 AM
Yoda dies.

GDC
7/27/2006, 07:53 PM
It still feels a little wrong to talk specifically about the ending of "Usual Suspects" and that one's been out for years.

I'm curious about anyone else's opinion on this movie. Was Verbal Kint really Keyser Soze, or did he just work for him? Was Kobiyashi or Dean Keaton? How much of Verbal's story was really true? The director says Verbal was Keyser Soze, but the writer says it's open to the viewer's interpretation. Thoughts?

BoogercountySooner
7/27/2006, 08:13 PM
Wilbur win's Best Pig!

BudSooner
7/27/2006, 08:29 PM
Damn GDC is up to bumping threads...again.

Oh and Superman flies.
Sandler gets a zinger of a remote.
Luke Wilson regrets breaking up with Uma..that super ex girlfriend.
the baby in little man, that's not really a baby...but you didn't hear that from me.

SicEmBaylor
7/27/2006, 08:40 PM
Wait, what happened to the spoiler tags?

Oldnslo
7/27/2006, 09:08 PM
Tom Cruise's character starts out as a brash young man, but he suffers a setback while a buddy ends up WAY worse, and the whole thing makes him think about what he's doing and how he can be a better person.

badger
7/27/2006, 09:24 PM
people reviewing the movie "Titanic" after it was clear that it was not going to flop and be extremely popular thought they were being clever by saying "I hope I'm not spoiling it, but the ship sinks."

Likewise, people did the same thing with Star Wars Episode 3 (That ship their building blows up in the next movie... Obi Wan dies in the next movie...) and added quips like "Luke, I am your father..." during some scenes.

I am proud to say that I once offered Sooner fans on here exclusive Harry Potter spoilage three weeks before the book was released... and five Sooner fans immediately PM'd me and wanted to know the dirt. :D

GottaHavePride
7/27/2006, 09:45 PM
HAve you seen the video of that? The guys that drive past the lines of people in costumes at a Barnes and Noble shouting the big spoiler through a megaphone? Hilarious.

SicEmBaylor
7/27/2006, 09:53 PM
people reviewing the movie "Titanic" after it was clear that it was not going to flop and be extremely popular thought they were being clever by saying "I hope I'm not spoiling it, but the ship sinks."

Likewise, people did the same thing with Star Wars Episode 3 (That ship their building blows up in the next movie... Obi Wan dies in the next movie...) and added quips like "Luke, I am your father..." during some scenes.

I am proud to say that I once offered Sooner fans on here exclusive Harry Potter spoilage three weeks before the book was released... and four Sooner fans and one Baylor fan immediately PM'd me and wanted to know the dirt. :D

:sigh:
Uh....fixed!

BudSooner
7/28/2006, 07:37 AM

I am proud to say that I once offered Sooner fans on here exclusive Harry Potter spoilage three weeks before the book was released... and five Sooner fans and one Zima drinker immediately PM'd me and wanted to know the dirt. :D

Fixed correctly.:D :D

GDC
7/30/2006, 05:10 PM
So, any thoughts on The Usual Suspects?

John Kochtoston
7/30/2006, 07:00 PM
I think Friday Night Lights was more a story of Texas HS football than that of the influence a racist community had on the team (like Remember the Titans).

I like Friday Night Lights.

FNL The Book >>> FNL The Movie.

The book was one of the best I've ever read. The movie was very average.