PDA

View Full Version : **Unofficial** South Oval Cookbook, 2005 Edition

SactoSooner
1/10/2005, 12:33 AM
After having great success making JK's Linguine and Shrimp Scampi, I decided to search for other recipes I've seen over the past year. One thing led to another, and long story short I ended up compiling a cookbook with nearly 200 recipes culled from threads dating from Oct. '03 thru Dec. '04.

Hope y'all enjoy it!

The South Oval Cookbook, 2005 Edition (http://www.ocadp.org/Undecided/images/ksimages/2005cookbook.pdf)

OUthunder
1/10/2005, 01:19 AM
Very cool.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/10/2005, 01:19 AM
My PDF is :mack ed up here so I will look at it tomorrow

jk the sooner fan
1/10/2005, 01:21 AM
awesome! even for a liberal ;)

RacerX
1/10/2005, 07:30 AM
Man, I always get left out.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/10/2005, 07:50 AM
Sacto,

Great job! I offered a few suggestions in the PM I sent last night. The pictures are a great touch. :stunned: even made it in there!

Tailwind
1/10/2005, 08:56 AM
How much are you gonna charge per copy?

instigator
1/10/2005, 08:58 AM
That is very cool. Thanks for the had work. I know I'll be benefiting from it very soon. :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/10/2005, 09:19 AM
I do think it's funny to look at the thread titles. There was one thread called chicken and dumplins but no recipe for chicken and dumplins. We are weird.

leavingthezoo
1/10/2005, 10:19 AM
somethin' ain't right. i get mad errors when i try to open it. :(

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/10/2005, 10:37 AM
Zoo, it's a pretty big file. Maybe that is the problem. Do you have PDF installed?

leavingthezoo
1/10/2005, 10:42 AM
i do.

ima try it on my old pc... it likes me and stuff. this new one hasn't made up its mind yet. hehe

leavingthezoo
1/10/2005, 10:50 AM
nevermind. 'tis working now.

kudos sacto! but now i'm hungry. :)

SactoSooner
1/10/2005, 11:45 AM
Man, I always get left out.

If you posted a recipe in the last year (or a photo of yourself or have a more recognizable icon...hint hint to Froz and anyone who still has an OB avatar), point me in the right direction so I can include it. If not...gotta wait till next year! :)

The pictures are a great touch. :stunned: even made it in there!

Think I need to add the original screen shot to one of Boarder's recipes, since he is Da Man who brought us SAF. :D

How much are you gonna charge per copy?

It's FREE! It's FREE! It's FREE!

I do think it's funny to look at the thread titles. There was one thread called chicken and dumplins but no recipe for chicken and dumplins. We are weird.

Yeh...where is that Chicken n' Dumplin's recipe anyway?! Lots of advice, but no instructions. Let's make up for it this year! For starters, I could sure use a gravy recipe to go with that Chicken Fried Steak. ;)
===========================
Okay, Admins...your turn. I also need your input. I pilfered the tailgate photo from SF.com, and therefore need permission to use it...plus I have some questions about saying "Soonerfans.com Presents" on the front page.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback. This project is truly a labor of love on my part...it started off with me just going back to find a few recipes for my daughter, who loves Oklahoma, the Sooners, and all the great food we ate while we lived there even more than I do, and it just snowballed. We've had so much fun putting this together, and just want to thank all of YOU for sharing the goodies that make your taste buds happy.

Beano's Fourth Chin
1/10/2005, 11:59 AM
Send a pm to Phil regarding permission.

I'm sure it will be fine.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/10/2005, 12:06 PM
Sacto, if you need help IDing some of the people at the tailgates I'm sure I can help. I know there is one of Proud Gonzo in there. I also have one of GHP, JK, Dean and me. Do you want a different photo to go with each recipe?

Is my avatar ok, it is still classic, I think.

Also, were my suggestions in the PM ok?

Have I asked enough questions in this message?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/10/2005, 12:07 PM
Oh and I can get both the dumplins and the gravy recipe and post for next yr.

RacerX
1/10/2005, 12:15 PM
Sacto - I'll wait.

BlondeSoonerGirl
1/10/2005, 12:21 PM
Dang, that thing makes me hungry...

Nice jorb, Sacto! w00T!

Rhino
1/10/2005, 12:31 PM
Chicken & Waffles can also be breakfast.

SactoSooner
1/10/2005, 12:31 PM
Heh...SBSB, you actually beat me to the avatar...I was in the process of shrinking the photo down to use as my own when it appeared under your name. :) HIGH SPEK for that photo!!!

If anyone has photos to share, by all means please do! It would be great to include everyone. The more, the merrier, as they say. I should also include the photos of Oldnslo drinking those nasty sodas, if they are still on that radio station's website.

SBSB, I'll work in your suggestions this evening, and upload the new copy. Thanks so much for your help!

And Beano, a PM is on its way to Phil. Gotta say it's way cool to have a photo of Multnomah Falls in the book! My dad's side of the family settled along those parts...I still remember riding along with my grandpa in his ol' green Chevy and seeing the falls for the first time. Good times. We're making a trip up that way in March.

SactoSooner
1/10/2005, 12:35 PM
Oh...and I've gotta pilfer that photo of :norm:. The book wouldn't be complete without it! :D

Tailwind
1/10/2005, 01:17 PM
Great price! I misread that part about printing, etc, etc. So now I have to go out and get a new printer! Good to have another excuse!

DCSooner
1/10/2005, 01:44 PM
Wow. I meant to say Holy Crap! in your spek.

Howzit
1/10/2005, 02:24 PM
That is the most impressive SO-related effort I have seen, EVAR. Props Sacto.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/10/2005, 02:37 PM
next up: The calendar. . .Perhaps this summer

Czar Soonerov
1/10/2005, 05:36 PM
I'ma gonna have to make some chili tonight.

booomer
1/10/2005, 08:20 PM
Wow! Very nice! Great job sacto!

proud gonzo
1/10/2005, 08:37 PM
Sacto, if you need help IDing some of the people at the tailgates I'm sure I can help. I know there is one of Proud Gonzo in there. I also have one of GHP, JK, Dean and me. Do you want a different photo to go with each recipe?

Is my avatar ok, it is still classic, I think.

Also, were my suggestions in the PM ok?

Have I asked enough questions in this message?

oh lord, if you want to use a pic of me let me know and I'll send you a good one--for the love of Jeebus don't use the one from the tailgate! :eek: :D

oh, and great job, Sacto!

SactoSooner
1/10/2005, 08:50 PM
That would be great, PG! I'll PM my e-mail address to you.

It's almost done. I've added more photos and three pages on how to make great omelets. It also has Phil's blessing, and he provided some artwork. It might eventually be available for purchase at the tailgates, too (that would be sooooo cool!). Thanks to everyone for all of your help...and for providing the recipes in the first place!

Sooner_Bob
1/10/2005, 10:53 PM
I've got a cake recipe that so belongs in that thing . . .

Get a cake mix (chocolate or german chocolate seem to taste best).
Caramel (8 or 10 oz. jar)
Cool Whip
Butterfinger or Heath Candy Bar . . . 4 or 5 of whichever one you choose.

Fix the cake according to the directions.

When cake is done remove cake from oven. Get a butter knife poke holes in the cake, and while the cake is still a little warm add some caramel. Let the caramel melt.

Put cake into the fridge for a while to cool. Usually 30-45 minutes works.

Add Cool Whip.

Take the candy bars and break them up and sprinkle them on the cake.

Stick the cake back in the fridge for a few minutes if needed since the cake tastes better cold.

Go pour a huge glass of milk, cut yourself a piece of cake and go to town.

Trust me, it's awesome.

GDC
1/10/2005, 11:10 PM
I've got a cake recipe that so belongs in that thing . . .

Get a cake mix (chocolate or german chocolate seem to taste best).
Caramel (8 or 10 oz. jar)
Cool Whip
Butterfinger or Heath Candy Bar . . . 4 or 5 of whichever one you choose.

Fix the cake according to the directions.

When cake is done remove cake from oven. Get a butter knife poke holes in the cake, and while the cake is still a little warm add some caramel. Let the caramel melt.

Put cake into the fridge for a while to cool. Usually 30-45 minutes works.

Add Cool Whip.

Take the candy bars and break them up and sprinkle them on the cake.

Stick the cake back in the fridge for a few minutes if needed since the cake tastes better cold.

Go pour a huge glass of milk, cut yourself a piece of cake and go to town.

Trust me, it's awesome.

wow

OklahomaTrombone
1/10/2005, 11:21 PM
This thread makes me happy in my pants.

SactoSooner
1/10/2005, 11:52 PM
I have to agree, Bob...I don't think that one can wait until next year! :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/11/2005, 12:09 AM
Use the picture of PG with her skeet gun or whatever it is called. That is a good picture of her.

proud gonzo
1/11/2005, 12:33 AM
that is a pretty good pic of me though it was two years ago. I sent Sacto this one--taken before the orange bowl:

SactoSooner
1/11/2005, 02:27 AM
Version II (http://www.ocadp.org/Undecided/images/ksimages/2005cookbook.pdf) is now available to preview, if you're so inclined. The only thing I'm waiting for now is a recipe from BurningDog, so after I get it, the cookbook will be made available to the general South Oval public.

A special thanks to SBSB for searching for tailgate photos. :D

Sooner_Bob
1/11/2005, 10:47 AM
I have to agree, Bob...I don't think that one can wait until next year! :D

Cool . . . :D

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/11/2005, 11:43 AM
That is great! It's gonna be fun to see everyone's reactions

OUthunder
1/11/2005, 12:00 PM
sweet.

RacerX
1/11/2005, 12:11 PM
LEMON PECAN PIE
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

3 whole eggs<o:p></o:p>

1/3 stick margarine or butter, melted<o:p></o:p>

1 1/2 cups white sugar<o:p></o:p>

3/4 cup pecan halves or pieces<o:p></o:p>

1 teaspoon lemon extract<o:p></o:p>

juice of 1/2 lemon<o:p></o:p>

Mix ingredients in order given, but do NOT use a mixer or beat until frothy. Pour into an 9 inch unbaked pie shell.<o:p></o:p>

Put in preheated oven (400 degrees) and bake about 10 minutes. Then reduce temperature to about 325 degrees and bake another 40 to 45 minutes. <o:p></o:p>

KEY LIME PIE

1 - 14oz can sweetened condensed milk<o:p></o:p>

4 egg yolks<o:p></o:p>

3 or 4 oz of key lime juice<o:p></o:p>

Combine milk and egg yolks at slow speed. <o:p></o:p>

Slowly add juice until well blended. Pour into 9" graham cracker crust pie shell.

Refrigerate overnight or, if preferred, pie may be baked at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.<o:p></o:p>

Top with whip cream or meringue.<o:p></o:p>

Those are for whenever. The Key Lime pie recipe is actually pretty standard.

SactoSooner
1/11/2005, 12:17 PM
And Racer X pulls through! Woo!

How 'bout I divide them...one this year, one next year? The key lime pie can go in with the Peanut Butter and Banana Sammies in the next edition.

Still waiting on BurningDog's recipe...hope he gets it to me SOON! Gettin' antsy to post this thing!

Sooner51
1/11/2005, 12:22 PM
Well done Sacto, very impressive.

RacerX
1/11/2005, 01:02 PM
sacto - there are plenty of pics of me around. There's one in the tailgate section. SBSB should be able to help you out. If not I'll hook you up.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/11/2005, 01:42 PM
sacto - there are plenty of pics of me around. There's one in the tailgate section. SBSB should be able to help you out. If not I'll hook you up.http://img35.exs.cx/img35/6904/meandmatts7jn.jpg

SactoSooner
1/11/2005, 02:09 PM
Cool, cool. Which one is you, and who is the guy with you? Anyone from around these parts? I think I saw another one on a website I have bookmarked at home.

RacerX
1/11/2005, 05:28 PM
I have no idea what helley posted, I'm getting a not found.

http://www.soonerfans.com/gallery/Sooner_Football/2004/Oregon_Tailgate_9-18-04/t040918-0015.JPG

Norm In Norman
1/12/2005, 03:43 PM
The guy standing on the left in that picture is Enigma (or at least that's what his name used to be). The red headed guy with the beard doesn't post but goes to all the tailgates. I talk to him all the time but embarrassingly don't know his name. I know Phil or Leslie know his name for sure.

If you want we can make a sticky on both boards when you get completely done.

Norm In Norman
1/12/2005, 03:47 PM
And if you want, you could use my infamous 04 avatar instead of the one I found by typing in 4 random letters in GIS. it is more identifying than the other one.

http://members.cox.net/normandothemagnificent/Carrot04_av.jpg

bri
1/12/2005, 03:56 PM
that is a pretty good pic of me though it was two years ago. I sent Sacto this one--taken before the orange bowl:
You can tell it was taken before the Orange Bowl because she's still smiling...:D

SactoSooner
1/12/2005, 04:33 PM
Norm, that would be so cool if you could make it a sticky! :) I'll make the changes later this evening and post here to let you know when it's ready.

And btw...thanks for helping me find that grilling thread a few weeks ago! :D

SactoSooner
1/12/2005, 11:50 PM
Changes have been made...just waiting for Phil to ID the mysterious red-bearded man.

Norm In Norman
1/13/2005, 09:16 AM
Norm, that would be so cool if you could make it a sticky! :) I'll make the changes later this evening and post here to let you know when it's ready.

And btw...thanks for helping me find that grilling thread a few weeks ago! :D

I had no idea that's why you were asking me that. It seemed ... weird.

Sneaky.

Norm In Norman
1/13/2005, 09:24 AM
A suggestion - could you put page numbers on and put them in the index or something? My mom made me a recipe book almost entirely unlike this one and I have to look back and forth to find recipes because there are so many in there but there are no page numbers. it would make things a bit simpler. I don't know if you have that capability.

SactoSooner
1/13/2005, 11:07 AM
I'll see what I can do. I've never been successful at indexing without going through the whole thing by hand, which is why I didn't go that route, but the pages are now numbered at least. I'm using OpenOffice for the pdf conversion capabilities...you wouldn't happen to know how to index using that program, would you?

Heh...I promise I won't sneak a "Bedtime Stories by Norm" book in here, although it's tempting!

Norm In Norman
1/13/2005, 11:59 AM
Wow - I'm not to sure. The last time I did that was in word perfect. You could set each heading up as some sort of something and it would automagically create an index. I'll take a look in OO this afternoon if I have time.

Mjcpr
1/13/2005, 12:12 PM
if I have time.
Heh. Good one.

:D

Norm In Norman
1/13/2005, 01:53 PM
Ok smarty mcsmarterson.

Sacto, here is what is in the help file:

Creating a Table of Contents

The best way to generate a table of contents is to apply the predefined heading paragraph styles, such as "Heading 1", to the paragraphs that you want to include in your table of contents. After you apply these styles, you can then create a table of contents.
1.Click in your document where you want to create the table of contents.
2.Choose Insert - Indexes and Tables - Indexes and Tables, and then click the Index/Table tab.
3.Select "Table of Contents" in the Type box.
4.Select any options that you want.
5.Click OK.
If you want to use a different paragraph style as a table of contents entry, select the Additional Styles check box in the Create from area, and then click the (...) button next to the check box. In the Assign Styles dialog, click the style in the list, and then click the >> or the << button to define the outline level for the paragraph style.
Updating a Table of Contents
Do one of the following:
Right-click in the table of contents and choose Update Index/Table.
Choose Tools - Update - All Indexes and Tables.

So basically you would have to turn all of the recipe names into headings then it would work. it might be a lot of work if you didn't use headings in the first place though (well, work as in selecting the recipe name and selecting "heading 1" out of the dropdown).

SactoSooner
1/13/2005, 02:04 PM
Cool...I think I can figure it out from there. I'll work on it again tonight. After this, that's it...NO MORE CHANGES... ;)

Norm In Norman
1/13/2005, 03:04 PM
It's just a suggestion - it's your book. It would be easier to just tell me I'm an idiot.

SactoSooner
1/13/2005, 04:00 PM
Heh...it's actually something I wanted to do in the first place, plus I need to learn how to do it for the ol' job.

SactoSooner
1/13/2005, 05:10 PM
http://www.hairyeyeball.net/jotbook/archives/images/saddamnoogie.jpg

proud gonzo
1/13/2005, 06:33 PM
I'll see what I can do. I've never been successful at indexing without going through the whole thing by hand, which is why I didn't go that route, but the pages are now numbered at least. I'm using OpenOffice for the pdf conversion capabilities...you wouldn't happen to know how to index using that program, would you?

Heh...I promise I won't sneak a "Bedtime Stories by Norm" book in here, although it's tempting!

Hello, children, hello. This is Uncle Norm welcoming you to your own special story. Hello. Today we are going to have a story, so sit comfortably and we can all start.
http://www.montypythonpages.com/pictures/idle_storytime.jpg
One day, Rikki the magic Pixie went to visit Daisy Bumble in her tumbledown cottage. He found her in the bedroom. Roughly he grabbed her heaving shoulders, pulling her down on to the bed and hurridly ripping off her thin- ????

Umm, let's try again, shall we?

Old Nick the Seacaptain was a rough, tough, jolly sort of fellow. He loved the life of the sea and he loved to hang out down by the pier where the men dressed as ladies- ? What, with a melon? Now wait a minute-

Here we go. Rumpletweezer ran the Dinky Tinky shop at the foot of the Magic Oak Tree, by the wobbly dum dum bush in the shade of the magic glade, down in Dingly Dell. There he sold contraceptives- Various appliances? Naked fun???

...No more storytime for today! Goodbye, children!

I just need someone to fark Norm's head onto Eric Idle.... :D

SactoSooner
1/13/2005, 07:28 PM
That's hilarious! This thread needs a sticky more for PG's interpretive story than for my silly ol' cookbook. :D

Speaking of which...Norm...the index is complete. I left it sorted by member's names, just cuz it was easier, so between the chapter indexes and the member's index with page numbers, we should be good to go.

Sticky away!

Norm In Norman
1/14/2005, 04:43 PM
On second thought, Maybe we should only post it in the SO. I think I'll just move this thread if that's OK.

SactoSooner
1/14/2005, 06:17 PM
That's fine. Whatever you decide. :)

Norm In Norman
1/15/2005, 11:12 PM
Love the index and page numbers. Good jorb.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/26/2005, 09:27 AM
I made SBSB's chicken fried steak last night. Tres bon! Seems pretty easy but I'm not a good fry cook and I screwed up the first one. Next 3 were great. Company liked it. I did too. Now I need to larn how to do that gravy thing that goes on top - I guess it's just a white sauce made from roux with seasoning...am I right?Let me ask my mom about that one. Glad you liked it. What did you serve with it?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/26/2005, 09:37 AM
On the gravy, I looked up cream gravy on google and they all pretty much say the same thing.

After your chicken fried steak is done, leave some of your drippings in the pan. Slowly add flour mixing it with a wooden spoon. After the flour is good and brown, slowly add your milk and stir until the mixture is thick. add pepper as well.

Usually when I do the CFS I make steak sandwiches.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/31/2005, 03:59 PM
I made CFS last night and if you do make them, add a little buttermilk to your eggs and some cayenne powder to your flour. YUMMY

Norm In Norman
1/31/2005, 04:19 PM
Gravy is 2tbs pan juices, 2tbs flour, 1 cup of milk or cream. Mix the pan juices and flour in the pan you cooked the meat in with a whisk. I guess it should be at about medium or so heat. The mixture will bubble a bit. Slowly add the milk and whisk until it thickens up. You want all the burnt stuff on the bottom of the pan to come up. Salt and pepper to taste. Those are just basic instructions, so if you want more then increase the amounts to how much you want.

If you add too much flour, it will taste like paste. If you add too much oil/pan juices, it will be greasy and nasty. If you add too much milk, you'll be stirring all night waiting for it to get thick enough. We just had this gravy a couple of nights ago and it is good.

proud gonzo
1/31/2005, 06:39 PM
i've never been able to write down a recipe that works for the gravy we make... neither has my mom or her mom. i more prefer the throw-stuff-in-until-it-looks-right method. it seems to work better for me

jreed13
1/31/2005, 06:44 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SactoSooner again.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/31/2005, 10:01 PM
i've never been able to write down a recipe that works for the gravy we make... neither has my mom or her mom. i more prefer the throw-stuff-in-until-it-looks-right method. it seems to work better for meyeah that is my mom's gravy theory. I made the CFS sandwiches at her house though. I'll do gravy next time.

Norm In Norman
2/1/2005, 11:47 AM
i've never been able to write down a recipe that works for the gravy we make... neither has my mom or her mom. i more prefer the throw-stuff-in-until-it-looks-right method. it seems to work better for me
That never works for me with gravy. I end up with paste, grease, or 30 minute gravy if I don't measure. Any other kind of sauce i use the "Throw good stuff at it" method.

afs
2/10/2005, 10:58 PM
?

SactoSooner
2/13/2005, 10:03 PM
The server I was using to host the cookbook went down for about a week, but it's back up now. Apologies for the inconvenience!

MamaMia
2/19/2005, 10:39 PM
That never works for me with gravy. I end up with paste, grease, or 30 minute gravy if I don't measure. Any other kind of sauce i use the "Throw good stuff at it" method.
The secret to making good gravy is to put your flour, seasonings and about 1/2 cup of the liquid into a jar and shake it first. Gently heat it and add the remaing liquid as you heat.

*Put a little spice in your life with some variety... ;)
Cardamom (just a pinch) makes a good seasoning for poultry gravy.

Boarder
3/1/2005, 12:17 PM
Why is it that "smashed" potatos always taste and sound better than "mashed" potatos?

King Crimson
3/1/2005, 01:35 PM
The secret to making good gravy is to put your flour, seasonings and about 1/2 cup of the liquid into a jar and shake it first. Gently heat it and add the remaing liquid as you heat.

that's how my granddad did it, and he made a living cooking in other people's homes and selling cookware as a young man after returning from WWII. now, he was always making brown gravy for melt in your mouth briskit and his secret liquid ingredient was coffee.

with chicken fry, always cream gravy, no question.

Norm In Norman
3/3/2005, 04:03 PM
I gotta unstick this one.

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/3/2005, 04:04 PM
Maybe we can put a link to the cookbook in an FAQ.

Norm In Norman
3/3/2005, 04:05 PM
Good idea.

Beano's Fourth Chin
3/3/2005, 04:08 PM
by "we" I mean you.

pretty please.

Norm In Norman
3/3/2005, 04:09 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/faq.php?faq=soonerfans_faq#faq_im_hungry

SactoSooner
3/3/2005, 05:19 PM
Can I blame Czar for this? ;)

Tailwind
3/9/2005, 09:46 PM
Oh, I was wondering what happened to this thread.........I haven't had a chance to print the cookbook out yet.....my printer died.

Scott D
3/9/2005, 10:10 PM
hehe...how to avoid sharing your qualitee recipes by me :D I kid, I kid

SactoSooner
3/10/2005, 12:11 AM
Gotta give one up for 2006, Scott! :D

Scott D
3/10/2005, 12:17 PM
but if I do that then they aren't sekrit recipes anymore :D

SactoSooner
9/4/2005, 07:42 PM
Since it's football season, it's time for a good old-fashioned thread revival. Let the cooking begin! :D

Keep posting your recipes...the 2006 edition will be released around January 1.

Okla-homey
9/4/2005, 08:37 PM
Mrs Homey's "Slap Your Mama Good, Guarenteed to Please, South Cackalackey Shrimp-n-Grits"

SHRIMP and GRITS

1-2 lbs raw shrimp
1/2 lb bacon
garlic (minced) to taste
1 large onion
1 pkg sliced mushrooms
Alaga* Hot Sauce to taste (start with one tablespoon)
juice of one lime

Fry bacon until crisp in a well seasoned cast iron skillet -- preferabley the one you inherited from your granny. Remove bacon from skillet and save the bacon grease.

Saute garlic and onion until soft in same skillet. Add mushrooms and
saute until mushrooms are tender (add bacon grease as needed). Remove mixture from skillet.

Add small amount of bacon grease to skillet and add
shrimp. Saute until the shrimp are pink.

Add veggies, hot sauce, and lime
juice. Cook 10-15 minutes. Let rest 10-15 minutes to cool. Serve
over cheese grits.

*****I use Alaga Hot Sauce because of the sweet-hot taste. If you
cannot find Alaga Hot Sauce, you may substitute any hot sauce of your
choice.

GRITS:
1-2 cups stone ground grits (Not "instant"--shudder, or "quick" grits)
3-4 cups chicken stock
1 cup half and half
1-8oz block cheddar cheese
4 oz parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
caynne pepper to taste

Cook grits in chicken stock to desired consistency for approximately
30-45 minutes. Add salt and pepper. May need to add water in order
to get desired consistency. Add half and half. Cook 10-15 minutes and
add cheeses. Stir throughout process. You may want to cook your grits
longer depending on doneness. (I always tell people to cook the grits like
they always cook theirs and just add the cheeses.) Add cayenne pepper.
Serve shrimp over grits and ENJOY!!!!!

*"Alaga" hot sauce may not be available in your area. Tabasco or texass Pete is fine.

Scott D
9/4/2005, 09:22 PM
Since it's football season, it's time for a good old-fashioned thread revival. Let the cooking begin! :D

Keep posting your recipes...the 2006 edition will be released around January 1.

but if I do that then they aren't sekrit recipes anymore :D

I stand by my words! :D

SactoSooner
9/5/2005, 10:43 PM
Then share a pretend recipe! Sheesh. It's your one chance for immortality...don't screw it up! ;)

Scott D
9/5/2005, 11:23 PM
Then share a pretend recipe! Sheesh. It's your one chance for immortality...don't screw it up! ;)

my mother's family is from the highlands.....I'm immortal by proxy ;)

critical_phil
9/5/2005, 11:52 PM
Mrs Homey's "Slap Your Mama Good, Guarenteed to Please, South Cackalackey Shrimp-n-Grits"

i am going to try this one.

no texass pete for me. i am a trappy's red devil man...........