PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Meteorologist Fans

Mjcpr
1/6/2005, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I'm sure that's a short list. :)

Travis Meyer is leaving Channel 8 for Channel 6.

Discuss.

Sexy Sooner Angel
1/6/2005, 03:26 PM
OMG! What are we EVAR going to do!!

:D

Red October
1/6/2005, 03:28 PM
Temperature in Hell is 38 degrees and falling....

bri
1/6/2005, 03:28 PM
Will Channel 8 be replacing him with a hawt weather babe?

And if so, will she be kissing Amanda Juergens on-air?

OklahomaTrombone
1/6/2005, 03:30 PM
I bet this means that Dick and Jim are getting ready to retire.

Leaving us with Trav, James, and Katie.

mdklatt
1/6/2005, 03:32 PM
You guys can have Mike Morgan back.

Mjcpr
1/6/2005, 03:33 PM
I bet this means that Dick and Jim are getting ready to retire.
Jim Giles was really sick a while back so you might be right.

Sooner51
1/6/2005, 03:34 PM
Amanda Juergens, mmmmmmm.

OklahomaTuba
1/6/2005, 03:34 PM
James posts on OUinsider.com alot.

Pricetag
1/6/2005, 03:36 PM
Wow. Travis Meyer has been a fixture over at channel 8 for quite awhile. It's weird that he'd leave for another local station.

Mjcpr
1/6/2005, 03:37 PM
James posts on OUinsider.com alot.
I've seen that person I think....I've always wondered who it was.

SoonerSeven
1/6/2005, 04:03 PM
Channel 6 news sux.
That is all.

KC//CRIMSON
1/6/2005, 04:13 PM
Don Woods and Gary Shore OWN YOU!!

Widescreen
1/6/2005, 04:28 PM
Meyer just wanted to be in a bigger market.

When I was a kid, I lived across the street from Clayton Vaughn. My soccer team won the league championship and I went over there and asked him to announce it on TV - he said he would. I watched the news for 3 straight days and HE NEVER DID IT. Consequently, at the age of 7 I became jaded about the news. I recall theorizing that the TV people were simply egotistical personalities who simply read (in many cases) what other people wrote and were therefore nothing more than puppets. When the Dan Rather thing happened a couple of months ago, I just shook my head and thought "Clayton Vaughn would've done the same thing".

Mjcpr
1/6/2005, 04:29 PM
Meyer just wanted to be in a bigger market.

When I was a kid, I lived across the street from Clayton Vaughn. My soccer team won the league championship and I went over there and asked him to announce it on TV - he said he would. I watched the news for 3 straight days and HE NEVER DID IT. Consequently, at the age of 7 I became jaded about the news. It recall theorizing that the TV people were simply egotistical personalities who simply read (in many cases) what other people wrote and were therefore nothing more than puppets. When the Dan Rather thing happened a couple of months ago, I just shook my head and thought "Clayton Vaughn would've done the same thing".
Isn't it the same market?

I've heard more than once that Clayton Vaughn was an asshat.

Widescreen
1/6/2005, 04:32 PM
Isn't it the same market?

sorry. Should have put ;) afterwards.

bri
1/6/2005, 04:32 PM
Maybe Trav got tired of driving out ot East Bumblef*ck to go to work every day. Downtown is the cool new spot to work these days.

Plus, you can't go wrong with having the Midtown Art Theatre right across the street. :D

Mjcpr
1/6/2005, 04:34 PM
Where is Lookout Mtn anyway?

We were at the McBirney Mansion last weekend and I guessed that I saw it across the river, but I don't know.

bri
1/6/2005, 04:35 PM
Danged if I know. I think it's out in the middle of nowhere with the giant Indian statue.

OklahomaTrombone
1/6/2005, 04:39 PM
Lookout Mtn = Turkey Mtn?

Mjcpr
1/6/2005, 04:40 PM
Lookout Mtn = Turkey Mtn?
Could be....I've always had my doubts about Mike Zigenhorn.

OklahomaTuba
1/6/2005, 04:43 PM
Turkey Mtn???

Isn't that that one place where those people go for you know what????

bri
1/6/2005, 04:45 PM
Turkeys?

Boomhauer
1/6/2005, 04:46 PM
Clayton Vaughn...over the Christmas break me and my fiance were looking for a place to get married. So we went and looked at the rose garden in Tulsa. After looking at it we decided to go next door and look at the mansion that the Historical Society bought a few years back. Well my fiance's uncle used to live in that mansion and now Clayton Vaughn is the director of the Tulsa Historical Society and works in that house. The lady that was showing us around told us that she would go get Clayton and have him meet us. She came back with another ol broad and we started talking to her about the house. Clayton Vaughn comes down in his rabbish attire and glances at us...stops like he is going to come and talk to us....then hesitates and goes back into the door. My fianced and I look at each other and then look back at the door and give him the finger! So yes....he is an asshat!!!!!

OklahomaTuba
1/6/2005, 04:48 PM
What is the OU shirt maybe?

Maybe he is just an aggot in disguise?????

Mjcpr
1/6/2005, 04:48 PM
Turkeys?
Gobblers.

:eek:

OklahomaTrombone
1/6/2005, 04:50 PM
Good a time as any:

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/movies/images/supertroop1.JPG

Bear****er...do you need assistance!

Widescreen
1/6/2005, 05:01 PM
Well my fiance's uncle used to live in that mansion and now Clayton Vaughn is the director of the Tulsa Historical Society and works in that house.

Sweet! Now I know where he is so I can ask him why he never reported my soccer championship 30 years ago. Oh, he remembers! :mad:

KC//CRIMSON
1/6/2005, 05:49 PM
Wasn't there a conspiracy against Clayton Vaughn many years ago, that involved another anchorman on channel six? He used to do the "You've got a friend" segment. Anyway, they found this guy/anchorman dead in a hotel room and some believe Clayton Vaughn had him wacked...?

anyone remember?

Widescreen
1/6/2005, 05:51 PM
Didn't Vaughn claim the guy was ghey? I can't remember the whole story.

Mjcpr
1/6/2005, 05:52 PM
Wasn't there a conspiracy against Clayton Vaughn many years ago, that involved another anchorman on channel six? He used to do the "You've got a friend" segment. Anyway, they found this guy/anchorman dead in a hotel room and some believe Clayton Vaughn had him wacked...?

anyone remember?
Bob Crane?

;)

mdklatt
1/6/2005, 05:55 PM
Oklahoma TV news is seriously f***ed up.

Widescreen
1/6/2005, 06:01 PM
Check it out (for those interested in KC's question above):

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?citeID=15999

Mjcpr
1/6/2005, 06:17 PM
Check it out (for those interested in KC's question above):

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?citeID=15999
Whoa....never heard that before.

I remember that name, but I don't remember what he looked like.

SicEmBaylor
3/20/2005, 03:03 AM
Okay, so I'm really more of a Jim Giles and News on 6 kinda guy but like the banter between Mike and Trav on Channel 8. So I come home for Spring Break and to my astonishment Travis Meyer is no longer the chief meterologist. So I searched the internet and couldn't figure out where in the world he went, but thought maybe soonerfans had some info on it. And of course SF.com did not let me down...

But I haven't seen Trav on Channel 6 since I got home. Will he be a meteorologist or reporter ala Walls going from sports on 6 to (eventually) anchor on 2.

James Aydelot is kind of young but if Giles and Faurot both retire then I'd like to see Aydelot move into the big chair.

Mjcpr
3/20/2005, 03:13 AM
I'm ashamed that I know this much about this subject, but as I understand it, they're still waiting for Meyer to show up on Channel 6. He will, but I haven't heard when. I would assume he'll be a meteoroligist and my guess is he'll take over for Giles eventually. He's had health issues evidently and I see them sliding Trav into his spot when he's gone.

James Aydelot recently accepted a position in Dallas (I think) and will be moving on soon. In fact, he posts on another message board.

Damn. When I was a younger man I was so much cooler. :O

SicEmBaylor
3/20/2005, 03:31 AM
Man, I hate to see Aydelot move to Dallas but at least I'll get to watch him in Waco.

Give me a small taste of home while I'm living in enemy territory.

And Giles has had some heart problems I think. I've met him a couple of times and he's very nice. But if the guy doesn't retire soon he'll drop dead one night on the air. Doing what he loves no doubt, but still.

SicEmBaylor
3/20/2005, 03:33 AM
This thread reminds me of player trading in pro-sports.

Mjcpr
3/20/2005, 03:39 AM
When I heard that Meyer was moving to Channel 6, I asumed that Giles would retire due to health problems and Travis would be their new Chief Meteorologist. We'll see, I guess.

yermom
3/20/2005, 03:44 AM
i remember Robert Joffe's "You've got a friend" segments with the James Taylor song of the same name, my great grandmother's TV was always on Channel 6, even though she had cable, i was always confused by this as a kid

i interviewed Jim Giles for a paper in junior high back when i thought i wanted to go into meterology, he was a really nice guy

i think my mom took care of Travis Meyer's baby briefly after it was born (like 15 years ago or something)

Mjcpr
3/20/2005, 03:49 AM
If you're from this area or remember watching Tulsa TV, this is an interesting website when you're bored.........

http://tulsatvmemories.com/

BudSooner
3/20/2005, 07:44 AM
Lookout mountain is northwest of the I-44 west/Highway 75 south interchange, north of the railroad yard.

Widescreen
3/20/2005, 09:38 AM
Damn. When I was a younger man I was so much cooler. :O

Pffft. ;)

SicEmBaylor
3/20/2005, 11:09 PM
Man..

Did anyone see Jerry Giodarno (sic) tonight on Channel 8?
My god he looked like he just woke up on a street curb after a night of binge drinking.

My Opinion Matters
3/21/2005, 12:15 AM
Man..

Did anyone see Jerry Giodarno (sic) tonight on Channel 8?
My god he looked like he just woke up on a street curb after a night of binge drinking.

I'm pretty sure he gets invited to all the best flamer parties.

And yes, I'm jealous.

SicEmBaylor
5/14/2005, 03:38 AM
Holy Crap,

Got home this weekend and saw the KOTV commercials announcing Travis Meyer's coming in June. So it's true!

Man oh man oh man..you leave for a semester and the world gets turned upside side.

Mjcpr
5/14/2005, 08:22 AM
Holy Crap,

Got home this weekend and saw the KOTV commercials announcing Travis Meyer's coming in June. So it's true!

Man oh man oh man..you leave for a semester and the world gets turned upside side.
What, you think I would lie to you? :)

OklahomaTrombone
5/14/2005, 04:27 PM
James is also getting ready to leave KTOV to go somewhere in Texas.

bri
5/14/2005, 04:45 PM
James SevenAteNinealot?

OklahomaTrombone
5/14/2005, 04:46 PM
yes.

He was in the BA Sports Fan-Attic a few days ago.

bri
5/14/2005, 04:48 PM
Wow, gotta love those Broken Arrow celebrity sightings. :D

GDC
5/14/2005, 09:48 PM
Dick Faurot comes to my school once a year to speak to our students, nice guy.

Mjcpr
11/2/2006, 11:57 AM
Jim Giles is retiring.....kind of expected that when Travis Meyer moved to Channel 6.

News on 6 Chief Meteorologist Jim Giles Announces Retirement

The News on 6 announced some big news from friend and colleague, Chief Meteorologist Jim Giles on Wednesday. Jim is retiring at the end of the month. The News on 6 crew met in the news studio Wednesday evening to wish Jim a happy birthday and hear his announcement. Jim will be with us for the next few weeks.

We'll share some on-air moments from his 25 years of forecasting the weather and tracking storms across Oklahoma. And he'll be working with us at some special events and station projects.

Jim is also starting a new storm shelter business.

http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=113531

Beef
11/2/2006, 11:59 AM
****!

TheHumanAlphabet
11/2/2006, 12:04 PM
Bring back Jeff Lazalier!

SicEmBaylor
11/2/2006, 12:15 PM
Goodbye Jim, oh how we shall miss ye.
Though blessed we are for still not having
to watch Gary England.

bri
11/2/2006, 12:28 PM
Yeah, but the Travis Meyer Drinking Game just isn't as much fun...:(

OUTromBoNado
11/2/2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah, it's too bad about Jim, but not unexpected. I'm actually surprised that this hasn't happened sooner. I'm proud to say that I get to work with him. Same goes for everyone else in the Weather Dept. at KOTV. Awesome group of people.

Jim really has a wealth of knowledge and has seen nearly every side of the weather business. He was always handing me tidbits of advice when I was going through school.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/2/2006, 02:56 PM
Jim's not looking so good, what's wrong with him...

Huge weight loss.

OUTromBoNado
11/2/2006, 03:13 PM
Jim's had a heart condition for the last couple of years.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/2/2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks.

picasso
11/2/2006, 03:22 PM
Jim Giles is retiring.....kind of expected that when Travis Meyer moved to Channel 6.

News on 6 Chief Meteorologist Jim Giles Announces Retirement

The News on 6 announced some big news from friend and colleague, Chief Meteorologist Jim Giles on Wednesday. Jim is retiring at the end of the month. The News on 6 crew met in the news studio Wednesday evening to wish Jim a happy birthday and hear his announcement. Jim will be with us for the next few weeks.

We'll share some on-air moments from his 25 years of forecasting the weather and tracking storms across Oklahoma. And he'll be working with us at some special events and station projects.

Jim is also starting a new storm shelter business.

http://www.kotv.com/news/local/story/?id=113531
he doesn't look healthy to me. I sure hope he doesn't have cancer.

btw-he and Dick Farout fish quite a bit with the Savage brothers up my way. they're big time ranchers.

Mjcpr
11/2/2006, 03:31 PM
he doesn't look healthy to me. I sure hope he doesn't have cancer.

I've thought the same thing.

JohnnyMack
11/2/2006, 03:33 PM
Doesn't he have congestive heart failure?

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2006, 11:09 PM
Doesn't he have congestive heart failure?

That'd be pretty bad. Hopefully not...He's had his fair share of health problems in the past.

Jim Giles>Jack Bauer>Chuck Norris