PDA

View Full Version : attn breast feeding chick in 16d

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2004, 10:20 PM
next time get a window seat or at least warn me before you pull that deflated football out. its been two days and my retinas are still seared.

DCSooner
12/20/2004, 10:21 PM
Don't talk with your mouth full mister!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2004, 10:26 PM
i swear to god the kid was 4, else i might have expected it

Frozen Sooner
12/20/2004, 10:32 PM
You know, I am SO not on the public breastfeeding bandwagon.

Seriously, I know, I'm going to hear all about how it's "natural" and how it's so good for the baby, and all this crap.

I realize that it's good for the baby.

DO THAT **** AT HOME!!!

Rubbing out a good one is GREAT for me, and you don't catch ME dropping trou every couple of hours, do you?

Put those f-ing things AWAY!

yermom
12/20/2004, 10:43 PM
Rubbing out a good one is GREAT for me, and you don't catch ME dropping trou every couple of hours, do you?

i am so glad that is the case

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/20/2004, 10:45 PM
no blanket, no warning, just the old lady from "there's something about mary". they had to help me off the plane and get me a wheelchair.

OUHOMER
12/20/2004, 10:51 PM
Damn, I now have this burning image in my mind

BajaOklahoma
12/20/2004, 10:56 PM
I agree with you guys. It does not belong in public.

And I speak as one who breastfed all 3 of my kids.

yermom
12/20/2004, 10:56 PM
I'm blind Peg!

BigRedJed
12/20/2004, 11:09 PM
You were just peeved because she didn't offer to lighten your coffee up a bit.

SoCal
12/20/2004, 11:49 PM
next time get a window seat or at least warn me before you pull that deflated football out. its been two days and my retinas are still seared.

I think I pissed my pants! :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/21/2004, 09:28 AM

This is killing me. I can't stop laughing...

Dude...

jkm, stop....

Mjcpr
12/21/2004, 09:33 AM
One time we had a temp employee here and she always brought this little carry all thing to work. Figuring that it was her lunch, I asked her one day what she was having. She gave me a funny look and mumbled something and walked away. So, I asked again. Finally, she told me it was her breast pump and breast milk.

:O

Sexy Sooner Angel
12/21/2004, 09:35 AM
I agree too this is not something that should be done in public. Hell now a lot of stores have those family rooms to go into so the mom's can breastfeed. If you know you are going to be on a plane then pump your milk BEFORE hand and put it in a bottle and give it to your kids that way. No one wants to see it. I don't care if it is natural it ain't pretty.

Also if your kid is over the age of 9 months take him off the tit. SERIOUSLY!!!!

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/21/2004, 09:46 AM
One time, I walked into a restroom here at work and I saw something peculiar. An electrical cord running from the last stall to an outlet on an opposite wall. As I walked on into the restroom something 'came on' and started humming.

I see a cord. Going under the door of a stall. And it's humming.

I saw her later on with her little kit - she has just had a baby and was back from maternity leave. But for a few minutes I was like 'we can do that on comapny time? SWEET!'...

Sexy Sooner Angel
12/21/2004, 09:48 AM
Heh. Yeah that would be pretty sweet! :D

BigRedJed
12/21/2004, 09:50 AM
FYI, those come in cordless models now.

mrowl
12/21/2004, 09:51 AM
One time, I walked into a restroom here at work and I saw something peculiar. An electrical cord running from the last stall to an outlet on an opposite wall. As I walked on into the restroom something 'came on' and started humming.

I see a cord. Going under the door of a stall. And it's humming.

I saw her later on with her little kit - she has just had a baby and was back from maternity leave. But for a few minutes I was like 'we can do that on comapny time? SWEET!'...

the company I work at is now required to have a "pump" room on every floor. It's very strange to see the women (with HUGE tattys) walk into a small closet.

BigRedJed
And I don't mean breast pumps.

BigRedJed
Heh. "Pump room."

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/21/2004, 10:00 AM
I start mine like a motorcycle.

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/21/2004, 10:00 AM
Oh, and we now have a 'pump room' in the HR office, too.

Apparently, there's so much pumpin' going on we had to have a room for it.

sooners_71
12/21/2004, 10:01 AM
no blanket, no warning, just the old lady from "there's something about mary". they had to help me off the plane and get me a wheelchair.

Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee *runs screaming into the night*

BigRedJed
12/21/2004, 10:25 AM
I start mine like a motorcycle.Heh.

colleyvillesooner
12/21/2004, 10:29 AM
This thread has gotten significantly better since the start...

SoonerInKCMO
12/21/2004, 10:34 AM
I was at a company picnic one year when a co-worker's wife whipped out a wobbler for her little person while we were talking. She was about 24-25 and this was her first kid and he was still an infant - so she hadn't gotten the deflated football look.

I didn't mind so much.

SoonerBorn
12/21/2004, 10:36 AM
I had a client in my office a few months back that started breast feeding her child during our interview. And, she switched tanks halfway through.

That was awkward, but I thought it was a one-time thing. During the meeting that I introduced the family to the volunteer who would be working with them, she did it again.

There's nothing about how to handle that sort of thing in my Case Managers Manual.

jk the sooner fan
12/21/2004, 10:43 AM
for some odd reason.....the scene in tommy boy comes to mind where tommy is asking where the gym is......

cept replace that with a breastfeeding mom......."ummm, where's the pump room?"

BigRedJed
12/21/2004, 10:47 AM
OK, I'm gonna jump off the jokey bus for a minute and get on my soapbox:

Openly nursing in public is inappropriate. No, it's not dirty, and yes, the concept of a woman breastfeeding is actually wonderful. I have no problem with the ole "under the blanket" trick, in a pinch.

But some women treat it as "it's natural, and it's healthy -- you're the one who has the problem, so just deal with it." It's not quite that easy. Society has so sexualized breasts that there is ALWAYS going to be baggage associated with displaying breasts in public, like it or not. Look, sex is a natural, wonderful thing too. But it would certainly be inappropriate if the couple next to you on the airplane started banging away. That's what they make airliner bathrooms for.

GrapevineSooner
12/21/2004, 11:21 AM
"The image of those deflated footballs is seared. Seared into me."
--jkm

OUthunder
12/21/2004, 11:23 AM
If the chick is hot, OK

If she's not, it's not OK.

yermom
12/21/2004, 11:58 AM
ahh, of course, the Spandex/Thong Rule

Okla-homey
12/21/2004, 12:04 PM
According to Oklahoma law passed just this spring, she can whip that puppy out anytime and anywhere junior needs a snack...she can also get out of jury duty.

HB 2101, Signed by Governor May 2004.
Title 63, Section 1-234.1 (new)

"The Legislature hereby declares that breast-feeding a baby constitutes a basic act of nurturing to which every baby has a right and which should be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health. In furtherance of this right, a mother may breast-feed her baby in any location where the mother is otherwise authorized to be. Breast-feeding shall not constitute a violation of any provision of Title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes."

38 O.S. 2001, Section 28
"C. Mothers who are breast-feeding a baby, upon their request, shall be exempt from service as jurors."

RedstickSooner
12/21/2004, 12:09 PM
Also if your kid is over the age of 9 months take him off the tit. SERIOUSLY!!!!

Great idea! Particularly since the association of pediatricians recommend *exclusive* breastfeeding for the first year.

Unless maybe you're on the metric calendar? :D

Seriously, they're just boobs. Do you eat in secret? No? Then why should a baby?

Breastfeeding is about more than just nutrition -- it's also about bonding and nurturing. Every little bit helps to establish the sense of warmth, trust and love that a baby needs.

And, JKM, seriously -- an airplane is the absolute last place you need to be bitching about a kid nursing. Dunno if you've noticed, but airplane cabins aren't kept at 1 atmosphere of pressure. And while it may have been a while since you were an infant, turns out infants can't clear their ear canals the same way older kids and adults can. THAT is why they scream on planes -- because they're in agonizing pain.

Breastfeeding is one of the few ways they can equalize that pressure, and they CAN'T get the same results from a bottle.

So, let's make a deal. Next time you're on a plane and don't want to see a mom using her fun bags for *precisely* the reason God intended, you can ask her to deny the kid his food -- and then stick some sewing needles into the side of your head to put you on an equal footing with the baby. 'Course, it still won't be an equal footing, since at least you'll know why you're in such agony. The kid, on the other hand, has no way of knowing why he hurts, or why his mom can't make it better.

Pumping in advance is no magical cure-all. It's time consuming (and as most parents have noticed, you find yourself surprisingly short on time when you're taking care of a baby) and it reduces bonding time between mother 'n child. Plus, at a lot of airports, mothers have a hard time even getting their own breastmilk through the security checkpoints -- not that you'd think about the difficulty this mother might have to go through when you were being traumatized by the sight of her boobs.

The fact that Americans have a breast fetish is no reason to deny infants the best possible nutrition they can receive. If we spent a little less time obsessing on the rack, and a little more time encouraging the snack, we'd have happier, healthier and smarter kids.

We're gonna need 'em, if we expect to be drawing any social security thirty years from now, too :D

Viking Kitten
12/21/2004, 12:16 PM
Word.

OklahomaTrombone
12/21/2004, 12:17 PM
I saw some older lady do it in church one day.

I didn't think it was very cool.

SactoSooner
12/21/2004, 12:19 PM
Amen, Redstick!

<---Mom who breastfed in public and on a mission to make it socially acceptable to properly feed my children.

SoCal
12/21/2004, 12:26 PM
Redstick knows how to put a lip whippin' on people! I thought the original story was funny as hell.

Sexy Sooner Angel
12/21/2004, 12:44 PM
You know what Redstick, kids will turn out just fine with out the breast as well. I didn't breastfeed my daughter and she is perfectly healthy inside and out. So please I have been there with the whole parents are busy thing and I had to pump and I managed it just fine.

BigRedJed
12/21/2004, 12:49 PM
Redstick and Sacto, that doesn't disagree with anything I said, I'm just saying PUT A BLANKET OVER YOURSELVES, FOR CRYINOUTLOUD!! It's not too much to ask. You're never going to change the fact that some people are going to associate breasts with sex. Urinating is also very healthy, and natural, and has nothing to do with sex (although it involves organs which also have a sexual function, sound familiar?). BUT DON'T PEE IN A FREAKING JAR NEXT TO ME!! Taking a dump: healthy, and frankly pleasurable. BUT DON'T DO IT WHERE EVERYONE CAN WATCH!!

Redstick enlightened me about some really good reasons for breastfeeding on an airplane. Of course, they lose a little steam in every location below 20,000 feet. Like I said, I think nursing in public while covered by a blanket, if there are no other privacy options, is perfectly acceptable. On the other hand, whipping out the feedbag without any regard to other people's feelings or mores is inappropriate, IMO.

Sexy Sooner Angel
12/21/2004, 12:51 PM
Redstick and Sacto, that doesn't disagree with anything I said, I'm just saying PUT A BLANKET OVER YOURSELVES, FOR CRYINOUTLOUD!! It's not too much to ask. You're never going to change the fact that some people are going to associate breasts with sex. Urinating is also very healthy, and natural, and has nothing to do with sex (although it involves organs which also have a sexual function, sound familiar?). BUT DON'T PEE IN A FREAKING JAR NEXT TO ME!! Taking a dump: healthy, and frankly pleasurable. BUT DON'T DO IT WHERE EVERYONE CAN WATCH!!

Redstick enlightened me about some really good reasons for breastfeeding on an airplane. Of course, they lose a little steam in every location below 20,000 feet. Like I said, I think nursing in public while covered by a blanket, if there are no other privacy options, is perfectly acceptable. On the other hand, whipping out the feedbag without any regard to other people's feelings or mores is inappropriate, IMO.
Exactly, I'm not saying don't do it at all, but it is possible to cover up with a blanket.

bri
12/21/2004, 12:54 PM
You shoulda thrown some beads at her...

SactoSooner
12/21/2004, 12:57 PM
Oh, I understand, BRJ. Discretion is the keyword here! I never used a blanket, but I did wear large shirts. The kids could hide under there, get their nummies, and no one around minded a bit. :D This was 20+ years ago, too, when breast feeding was still frowned upon in public and private.

RedstickSooner
12/21/2004, 01:17 PM

A quick side note on, y'know, bodily elimination -- as that sometimes comes up as an example of how "natural" and "do it in public" don't go together. You're absolutely correct -- taking a leak or dump in public ain't appropriate.

Where you went wrong is in drawing the similarity to breastfeeding. We don't defecate in public because we know instinctively not to. Instinctually, when you gotta go, you find some secret, isolated place to do so -- because that instinct prevents you from contaminating your food and water.

Breastfeeding, on the other hand, does not spread disease -- it helps prevent disease :)

Angel, yes - plenty of kids turn out just fine without a drop of breastmilk. Plenty of kids survived life in cribs where their heads could get lodged. Plenty of kids survived wearing flammable clothes that'd burn like napalm if they got near an ignition source. Oodles of kids survived with lead toys, lead paint, and all sorts of old-fashioned goodness.

Just because it doesn't result in disaster doesn't mean there isn't a better choice. And, just like any other health factor, breastfeeding isn't some magic bullet. For instance, breastfed kids tend to get fewer ear infections -- yet my daughter, who was exclusively breastfed, got tons of 'em, and eventually had to have tubes put in (although she didn't start having real problems with the ear infections until she was two, well past her exclusive breastfeeding stage)

Now, lemme turn things around a bit. How about beating your kids in public?

It offends me, it bothers me to see it, and I don't like my kids to see it. Beating children doesn't fit in with what I believe to be right or proper. I find it offensive, and I'd certainly prefer you do it in private. Does that mean I should have a right to demand you stop?

Probably not. To be an American means you're supposed to have the right to raise your kids the way you see fit. So, I put up with it.

I look the other way.

I'm not sure if I buy an argument that beating your kids is "natural," but I simply leave it at being none of my business. Just as it's none of your business if Mrs. Redstick whips out the udders and plants my rugrat onto one of 'em. Look the other way, dude ;)

When someone beats their kid in public, it's usually because they think they need to beat the kid right away. Same goes for breastfeeding. I'll grant you one big difference -- most feedings last longer than most beatings. Or I sure hope they do. I pity the kid that gets beat on for as long as my wife likes to nurse our son :D

However, with breastfeeding, you only have to deal with a couple very brief flashes of anything truly naughty (yeah, I'm talking nipplage here, people), the rest of the time all you're seeing is some boob-crestage. Crestage which is no more explicit or revealing than anything you'd see walking around any mall in this country. We see *parts* of boobs all the time. You see those same parts when someone breastfeeds, with *very* brief flashes of anything more (and you only see those flashes if you watch the process pretty closely).

Covering up with a blanket is an excellent option -- unfortunately, some kids won't put up with it. Trust me, most women would *love* to keep the pups in their tent. However uncomfortable you might be seeing a mother breastfeed, she's ten times as uncomfortable knowing you're looking at her breasts and thinking of them as sexual objects rather than snacky cakes.

Finally, I'd like to apologize to anyone if I've come across as overly harsh here. As you can tell, it's something I feel quite strongly about. But that doesn't mean I think any less of any of the rest of you for disagreeing or anything... I just want to make the case as strongly as I can, and maybe share stuff I've learned if I think you might find it useful or interesting. Breastfeeding is one of those primal things that's not much talked about. I figure it's worth talking about some, and just hope I can find a way to help some of y'all feel less uncomfortable with the subject ;)

Okla-homey
12/21/2004, 02:17 PM
Just because it doesn't result in disaster doesn't mean there isn't a better choice. And, just like any other health factor, breastfeeding isn't some magic bullet. For instance, breastfed kids tend to get fewer ear infections -- yet my daughter, who was exclusively breastfed, got tons of 'em, and eventually had to have tubes put in (although she didn't start having real problems with the ear infections until she was two, well past her exclusive breastfeeding stage)

Man! You are a hardcore LaLeche League commando. Breastfeeding a two year old? My wife always cut the kids off when they sprouted opposing teeth.

spek!

Norm In Norman
12/21/2004, 02:26 PM
Breast feeding in public - **** YEAH!

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/21/2004, 02:33 PM
Well.

Looks like we've dragged Norm down with us.

**** YEAH!!!

bri
12/21/2004, 02:39 PM
Breast pumps - F*CK YEAH!
Saggy tits - F*CK YEAH!
Reeboks - F*CK YEAH!

Norm In Norman
12/21/2004, 02:41 PM
Flap jacks - **** YEAH!
Deflated footballs - **** YEAH!
National Geographic - **** YEAH!
Oprah - **** YEAH!

Pricetag
12/21/2004, 02:41 PM
Man! You are a hardcore LaLeche League commando. Breastfeeding a two year old? My wife always cut the kids off when they sprouted opposing teeth.

spek!
One of the most bewildering discoveries of young parenthood has been how hardcore many folks are about this, and how determined they are to promote it to others.

My wife tried to breast feed our son, but he was huge (10 pounds, 14 ounces), and she just couldn't get him enough food to satisfy him, so after a couple of sleepless days, we went to formula.

It absolutely amazed us at how cavalier people were about the whole thing. People who didn't even know us very well, and had no business knowing, had no trouble asking her if she was nursing. Half the time, it was the first question out of their mouths after learning that we had a new baby. And other young couples who were nursing often reacted with cocked eyebrows when learning that we were formula feeding him, like she was purposely doing something to harm him or something. My wife was ashamed, and felt the need to justify her decision to these people.

I understand the health benefits of nursing. I was nursed myself, and I wanted us to nurse our boy. I want to try again when we have another child. But to put it mildly, I was shocked and dismayed by the peer pressure-like behavior of some of the folks that we encountered then.

crawfish
12/21/2004, 02:43 PM
I think only attractive women, with well-formed breasts, should be allowed to breastfeed in public, and they should be encouraged to do so.

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/21/2004, 02:46 PM
Man, we're gonna have to make a New Year's Resolution to be not-so dirty.

But since it's still December:

Public Nipples - **** YEAH!
Boob Sucking - **** YEAH!
4 Hour Erections- ****, **** YEAH!

Norm In Norman
12/21/2004, 02:47 PM
Hearing posts in your mind just like the voice in that video - **** YEAH!

bri
12/21/2004, 02:56 PM
Visualizing everyone on the board as marionettes - F*CK YEAH!

BigRedJed
12/21/2004, 03:08 PM
Running around doing errands at lunch, coming back and discovering you're once again a day late and a dollar short on some new SO trend: **** ******

BigRedJed
12/21/2004, 03:08 PM

BigRedJed
12/21/2004, 03:09 PM
Heh.

Norm In Norman
12/21/2004, 03:10 PM
Weird asterisks - **** ******

Norm In Norman
12/21/2004, 03:10 PM
Beano succs - **** ******

BigRedJed
12/21/2004, 03:17 PM
*** candles - **** ******

Rhino
12/21/2004, 03:19 PM
Maybe Janet Jackson was just trying to feed her baby...

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/21/2004, 03:20 PM
consider that bud nipped in.

Norm In Norman
12/21/2004, 03:21 PM
Bud nip - **** ******

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/21/2004, 03:24 PM
Here's a list of places on our trip that have sucky coffee:

Braum's
McDonald's
Love's
My parent's
Border's in Norman

Pretty much anywhere with an apostrophe in the name.

Stoop Dawg
12/21/2004, 03:26 PM
It absolutely amazed us at how cavalier people were about the whole thing. People who didn't even know us very well, and had no business knowing, had no trouble asking her if she was nursing. Half the time, it was the first question out of their mouths after learning that we had a new baby. And other young couples who were nursing often reacted with cocked eyebrows when learning that we were formula feeding him, like she was purposely doing something to harm him or something. My wife was ashamed, and felt the need to justify her decision to these people.

I think I'll reply with "We don't take nutrition advice from people who can't control their OWN weight." That should handle about 90% of the cases in Oklahoma.

Rhino
12/21/2004, 03:28 PM
Border's in Norman Did you tell that to his face?

Norm In Norman
12/21/2004, 03:31 PM
Sooner Boarder - **** ******

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/21/2004, 03:32 PM
Did you tell that to his face?

No, it was 2:30. apparently, he had already left for the day.

Rhino
12/21/2004, 03:35 PM
Freaks on a message board unable to post a picture before the thread is closed by an administrator - **** ******

http://www.oklahomarock.com/SF/freak.jpg

Stoop Dawg
12/21/2004, 03:43 PM
So, let's make a deal. Next time you're on a plane and don't want to see a mom using her fun bags for *precisely* the reason God intended, you can ask her to deny the kid his food -- and then stick some sewing needles into the side of your head to put you on an equal footing with the baby. 'Course, it still won't be an equal footing, since at least you'll know why you're in such agony. The kid, on the other hand, has no way of knowing why he hurts, or why his mom can't make it better.

If taking a one year old on an airplane is like sticking sewing needles into the side of its head then I might reconsider taking the kid on the airplane in the first place.

Also, it might (as the original poster indicated) be polite to mention to the person sitting right next to you that you are about to whip out your "fun bags". Then, of course, there's the lavatory, or the back of the plane - if the lady is really that embarrassed about it. If the plane only has one lavatory that might be a bad idea, but if it has more than one (most do) I'm sure most people would rather have you in there nursing than sitting in your seat with a crying kid.

In short, there is a polite way to go about nursing and an "in your face" way. When you do it the "in your face" way you'll probably encounter people who don't approve. If, on the other hand, you use some common decency I think you'd find that people are probably okay with it.

Czar Soonerov
12/21/2004, 03:54 PM
http://www.methodshop.com/tech/articles/Bad-Inventions/milk.jpg

Viking Kitten
12/21/2004, 03:57 PM
In short, there is a polite way to go about nursing and an "in your face" way. When you do it the "in your face" way you'll probably encounter people who don't approve. If, on the other hand, you use some common decency I think you'd find that people are probably okay with it.

Actually you'd be surprised at how many freaks there are out there who don't approve of breastfeeding whether you are discreet about it or not.

Me personally, I tried to avoid doing it in public, and tried to be discreet about it when I had to do it. But at the end of the day, I am going to do what is best for me and my kid and if the guy in 16C doesn't like it he can feel free to f*** off. The laws are pretty much on my side. :dean:

OUDoc
12/21/2004, 03:59 PM
Actually you'd be surprised at how many freaks there are out there who don't approve of breastfeeding whether you are discreet about it or not.

Me personally, I tried to avoid doing it in public, and tried to be discreet about it when I had to do it. But at the end of the day, I am going to do what is best for me and my kid and if the guy in 16C doesn't like it he can feel free to f*** off. The laws are pretty much on my side. :dean:
Aren't you a little old to breast feed? I mean, if you can log on to the internet, fix your own damn meal.
Oh, you meant.............

bri
12/21/2004, 04:00 PM
Ah, go buy some shoes or something.

jk the sooner fan
12/21/2004, 04:01 PM
i'm on the side of the breast feeders here......while i agree that you have to try and do your best to keep it private....it just doesnt always work out that way....sometimes you have to inconvenience somebody for the sake of feeding your kid...

some people act like its a big taboo or something, or they are uncomfortable with it because they attach some sort of sexual connotation to it....

its not supposed to be that way....

RedstickSooner
12/21/2004, 04:09 PM

Sorry to hear that Pricetag -- down here, it isn't such a problem, as very, very few mothers nurse... So there's nobody to arch eyebrows at 'em if they don't ;)

Another common misconception is that nursing is easy. Yeah, it can be, but for most new mothers, it isn't. There's nothing worse than trying at it, and finding that it's not working out for you.

Last thing in the world I'll ever do is put someone down for not nursing, at least deliberately. I realize it can seem like I'm doing that when I argue for nursing - but that's not what I'm about, yo.

No pressure or anything, but when the next puppy comes down the pike, don't hesitate to speak up if you need any help or advice. My wife had serious problems with the girl (our firstborn), and would've given up if she hadn't had a ton of help. Supply problems are a *very* common issue, and probably the single largest reason why women give up.

Giving up doesn't make you a bad person. Using formula exclusively doesn't make you a bad person. Heck, it's not even my place to encourage a new mother to breastfeed -- that's something her pediatrician should do. Me, I'm just some dude on a message board, y'know?

Where I do speak up is in defense of women breastfeeding wherever they figure they need to - because breastfeeding is part of how I raise my family. Yeah, I have no active role in it, seeing as I'm not the lactating type... But I know it can be a hassle sometimes for the wife, and I figure maybe if I speak up, I might give a few folks an explanation for why people like my wife suddenly pop those suckers out 'n latch them little buggers on :D

And, as to why someone would take an infant on an airplane, Stoop -- what would you suggest they do?

Teleport?

The pain thing is easily fixed through nursing (although if your infant won't latch on once you're airborn and they're in pain, you can have a heckuva time). So, if you're not going to breastfeed in the plane, you have two basic choices:

1) Twelve hours strapped into a car seat.

2) Two hours of piercing pain.

I honestly don't know which is worse. For one thing, nobody knows precisely how bad the pain is from the pressure drop for the infant -- all we know is they scream and cry the entire time... But how would you hook up a baby to a machine to measure precisely how intense the pain is? Is it as intense as, say, a bad headache? A bad toothache? A kidney stone? Somewhere in between?

Suggesting the mom use the lavatory on the plane? You *have* used one of those, right? We're not talking "spacious" here. Additionally, many mothers really hate nursing in bathrooms in general. Because they're bathrooms. Nobody likes to eat dinner in the same room where people take a dump. And, yeah, I realize infants do that precise thing all the time, seeing as they poop wherever they happen to be ;)

I will, however, take this opportunity to make one suggestion to all mothers out there, whether they be using formula, or their own milk -- please be courteous of those sitting behind you when burping your babies.

I got projectile-yacked on during a trans-atlantic flight from Seattle to London, about two hours in. I was ten years old. It sucked.

:D

Rhino
12/21/2004, 04:10 PM
Whipping out your teet in public without discretion is the same as Janet Jackson whipping hers out. Whatever the purpose, it's still a teet.

Those that used the reasoning(s) "my family and I weren't expecting to see that" or "my child shouldn't be subjected to that" in regards to the "costume malfunction" should feel the same way about boob feeding in public.

jk the sooner fan
12/21/2004, 04:12 PM
taking a leak in the lavatory on a plane is dangerous enough, any turbulence while you're in there and you're going to bang your head on something....i cant see taking an infant in there to feed it and it being even remotely safe

Okla-homey
12/21/2004, 04:16 PM
Whipping out your teet in public without discretion is the same as Janet Jackson whipping hers out. Whatever the purpose, it's still a teet.

Those that used the reasoning(s) "my family and I weren't expecting to see that" or "my child shouldn't be subjected to that" in regards to the "costume malfunction" should feel the same way about boob feeding in public.

I respectfully disagree. The Oklahoma legislature and the governor hisself have declared:

HB 2101, Signed by Governor May 2004.
Title 63, Section 1-234.1 (new)

"The Legislature hereby declares that breast-feeding a baby constitutes a basic act of nurturing to which every baby has a right and which should be encouraged in the interests of maternal and child health. In furtherance of this right, a mother may breast-feed her baby in any location where the mother is otherwise authorized to be. Breast-feeding shall not constitute a violation of any provision of Title 21 of the Oklahoma Statutes."

That last sentence means that while publicly flashing boobies is a lewd act and therefore illegal in the Sooner State...publicly exposing the source of infantile nutrition incidental to feeding baby is okey-dokey.

Mjcpr
12/21/2004, 04:18 PM
taking a leak in the lavatory on a plane is dangerous enough, any turbulence while you're in there and you're going to bang your head on something....
Damn.....look at Mr. Ed.

;)

jk the sooner fan
12/21/2004, 04:18 PM
yeah i think comparing janet jackson flashing her boob on stage to a woman breast feeding her baby.....ummm, just apples and oranges

jk the sooner fan
12/21/2004, 04:19 PM
Damn.....look at Mr. Ed.

;)

that took me a minute to get it......but good one! :D

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/21/2004, 04:24 PM
Whenever I'm on a plane, I pretend to be alseep and blow burps at the people around me.

Seriously.

My whole family's goal is to annoy you people.

Pricetag
12/21/2004, 04:27 PM
Another common misconception is that nursing is easy. Yeah, it can be, but for most new mothers, it isn't. There's nothing worse than trying at it, and finding that it's not working out for you.

It seems like such a simple concept, but I was left wondering how the human race survived when nursing was the only option. There was so much frustration involved for both mother and baby.

BTW, I wasn't accusing you or anyone else in this thread of being one of the folks I was talking about. I just wondered if anyone else had run into any of the militant folks we had. What they're advocating is an inherently good thing. It was just the way they did it. It's kinda like someone preaching their religion to you, and then when you say "no thanks," they're like, "Well, you're going to hell, then."

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/21/2004, 04:29 PM
Of all the annoying people on planes, breast feeding lady doesn't even crack the top 20.

jk the sooner fan
12/21/2004, 04:30 PM
Of all the annoying people on planes, breast feeding lady doesn't even crack the top 20.

#1 - the guy that likes to talk to you while you're obviously reading or doing work, or better yet, trying to sleep......and he wont shut up.....ever

he likes to ask really personal questions....he doesnt get how annoying he is

Norm In Norman
12/21/2004, 04:32 PM
#2 - the guy who sits beside you because it is what is printed on his ticket - even though the plane is only half full. GIVE ME SOME ROOM! I WAS HERE FIRST!

Viking Kitten
12/21/2004, 04:43 PM
#3: Screaming baby whose mom is too modest/sexually repressed to just whip out a tittay and put a stop to the racket. ;)

jk the sooner fan
12/21/2004, 04:45 PM
when a problem comes along........you must whip it....

Sexy Sooner Angel
12/21/2004, 04:46 PM
No the #1 is the guy who is sitting by the window and takes his shoes off puts his feet on the side of the wall and sits sideways in his seat and leans on you while reading the paper and flipping each page as loud as possible.

That my friend is annoying

mdklatt
According to Oklahoma law passed just this spring, she can whip that puppy out anytime and anywhere junior needs a snack...she can also get out of jury duty.

What a load. If she can just whip 'em out in the jury box why should she get an exemption?

Rhino
a teet is a teet is a teet.

OUDoc
12/21/2004, 04:47 PM
I just wondered if anyone else had run into any of the militant folks we had. What they're advocating is an inherently good thing. It was just the way they did it. It's kinda like someone preaching their religion to you, and then when you say "no thanks," they're like, "Well, you're going to hell, then."
Breast Nazis.
La Leche League. (http://www.lalecheleague.org/)
Scary. I've seen them make new mothers cry for not wanting to breast feed.

RedstickSooner
12/21/2004, 04:53 PM
Breast Nazis.
La Leche League. (http://www.lalecheleague.org/)
Scary. I've seen them make new mothers cry for not wanting to breast feed.

Just takes a few extremists to turn *any* good idea into a really, really bad one.

Breastfeeding = good
making a new mother feel like crap for ANY reason = bad

New mothers are quite possibly the most emotionally fragile critters on earth. Laying any kind of head trip on 'em is inexcusable.

My wife got a lot of good help & support from the leaches -- but she also got a lot of smothering. Some of the women there reminded her of bad 12-steppers... Y'know, the ones that seem to take a grim sort of joy in the difficulty of life?

Anyhow -- I hope La Leche League can get back to education, and learn how to give mothers their space, so they can do some good again.

Czar Soonerov
12/21/2004, 04:56 PM
http://home.nikocity.de/nomaam/Nomaam/nal.jpg
http://home.nikocity.de/nomaam/Nomaam/n905d.jpg

SoCal
12/21/2004, 04:57 PM
What a load. If she can just whip 'em out in the jury box why should she get an exemption?

http://img87.exs.cx/img87/519/13marshall8dx.jpg

Sexy Sooner Angel
12/21/2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah when a couple of those idiots found out I wasn't breastfeeding they started trying to give me a guilt trip and make me feel bad and I just told them to **** off and leave me and my kid alone.

Mjcpr
12/21/2004, 05:14 PM
Yeah when a couple of those idiots found out I wasn't breastfeeding they started trying to give me a guilt trip and make me feel bad and I just told them to **** off and leave me and my kid alone.
I think this is why your daughter is so headstrong.

I'm just sayin'.....

;)

Viking Kitten
12/21/2004, 05:15 PM
True story:

We were on a trip with our two-month old son. We had checked out of our room and were waiting in the hotel lobby for transportation back to the airport when the baby got hungry. Now, you have to know that this lobby was in this old-fashioned hotel with about 50 couches, about the size of a football field, and additionally, it was two in the afternoon and the lobby was deserted. I chose the remotest corner of said lobby and whipped one out (using a blanket.) This guy walks into the lobby, stops dead in his tracks when he sees what I am doing, ignores the 49 other available couches, and takes a seat on the one directly across from me. He unfolds a newspaper and pretends to read it, but is peering over the top of it and staring at me the whole time. F'ing perv.

Back then, I shot him a "go to hell" look and moved. Now I'd probably tell him he owed me a dollar.

Sexy Sooner Angel
12/21/2004, 05:16 PM
Well hell I never really wondered where she got it from. I just wish she wouldn't have that trait until she is 25. :D

Plus those biyatches needed to back off they didn't know all the crap I went through with Karly before I came to the decision to just use formula. I did try to breastfeed and in turn they called me a quitter among other things.

Mjcpr
12/21/2004, 05:20 PM
VK - the situation you described is all we know to do.

If there's a boob, we're probably going to take a look.

BeetDigger
12/21/2004, 05:22 PM
True story:

We were on a trip with our two-month old son. We had checked out of our room and were waiting in the hotel lobby for transportation back to the airport when the baby got hungry. Now, you have to know that this lobby was in this old-fashioned hotel with about 50 couches, about the size of a football field, and additionally, it was two in the afternoon and the lobby was deserted. I chose the remotest corner of said lobby and whipped one out (using a blanket.) This guy walks into the lobby, stops dead in his tracks when he sees what I am doing, ignores the 49 other available couches, and takes a seat on the one directly across from me. He unfolds a newspaper and pretends to read it, but is peering over the top of it and staring at me the whole time. F'ing perv.

Back then, I shot him a "go to hell" look and moved. Now I'd probably tell him he owed me a dollar.

Pics?

Viking Kitten
12/21/2004, 05:25 PM
Yeah, but most guys would be tad cooler about it, and it's not like I had sequined pasties on or something.

This was a distinguished business-manny type guy too. Freak.

BeetDigger
12/21/2004, 05:52 PM
Yeah, but most guys would be tad cooler about it, and it's not like I had sequined pasties on or something.

This was a distinguished business-manny type guy too. Freak.

Did he have white hair?

mdklatt
12/21/2004, 05:56 PM
http://img87.exs.cx/img87/519/13marshall8dx.jpg

Is that woman breastfeeding her grandson???

SoonerInKCMO
12/21/2004, 05:57 PM
True story:

I'm sorry that I upset you. :(

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/21/2004, 06:03 PM
note to self: funny stuff that happens on airplanes not appropriate for south oval

bri
12/21/2004, 06:27 PM
note to self: nothing is really appropriate for south oval

Cam
12/21/2004, 08:56 PM
My wife's done it, but always with a blanket.

On a plane ride last year, a gal whipped hers out for her daughter. For 2 freakin hours... Her daughter was at least 5 years old. That was a little too much for me.

Sooner_Tuf
12/21/2004, 09:32 PM
Keep em cased unless you mean it. :D

GrapevineSooner
12/22/2004, 12:51 AM
And while it may have been a while since you were an infant, turns out infants can't clear their ear canals the same way older kids and adults can. THAT is why they scream on planes -- because they're in agonizing pain. I'm only going off of what my child's pediatrician said, but airplane rides don't bother a child's ears until three years of age. In fact, we took our daughter on a flight to Reno/Tahoe two years ago when she was just six weeks old and she slept on both legs of the flight.

Not to mention from doing a little research on this subject on the Internet (using other Pedi's sites and the Mayo Clinic) there may be some discomfort that infants experience. But by and large, the effect on their ears is really no different than the effect on an adult's ears. That is, unless the Eustachian Tube (which regulates outside air pressure and the air pressure in our ears) is obstructed in some way. Like by an ear infection.

As for the topic at hand, I feel every attempt should be made by the mom to be as discreet as possible during the feeding process and to cover her boob up, sometimes that's NOT possible. And if anyone were to give my wife grief over the fact she's whipping a tittay out as a last resort, I'd ask the offended a-hole 'would you rather my kid go hungry?'

We were presented with such a situation in the shuttle bus ride home from the airport. My wife had no blankets of any kind to cover up with, but our daughter was hungry.

It's probably not hard to determine what choice my wife made.

Crimson_Balls
12/22/2004, 01:03 AM
I love the sickle of a nipple in the morning!

Czar Soonerov
12/22/2004, 01:23 AM
They have blankets for passengers on airplanes, I'm just sayin'. We had more problems with perverts trying to get a peek than anyone getting mad at us, but like VK said, she was very discreet.

SoonersEnFuego
12/22/2004, 01:26 AM
I'd probably still look even if they had to be tucked into her pants.

SilliSooner
12/22/2004, 01:55 AM
Pumps?

First the judge?
Then the juggs?

Here come de...

RedstickSooner
12/22/2004, 09:49 AM
I'm only going off of what my child's pediatrician said, but airplane rides don't bother a child's ears until three years of age. In fact, we took our daughter on a flight to Reno/Tahoe two years ago when she was just six weeks old and she slept on both legs of the flight.

Not to mention from doing a little research on this subject on the Internet (using other Pedi's sites and the Mayo Clinic) there may be some discomfort that infants experience. But by and large, the effect on their ears is really no different than the effect on an adult's ears. That is, unless the Eustachian Tube (which regulates outside air pressure and the air pressure in our ears) is obstructed in some way. Like by an ear infection.

As for the topic at hand, I feel every attempt should be made by the mom to be as discreet as possible during the feeding process and to cover her boob up, sometimes that's NOT possible. And if anyone were to give my wife grief over the fact she's whipping a tittay out as a last resort, I'd ask the offended a-hole 'would you rather my kid go hungry?'

We were presented with such a situation in the shuttle bus ride home from the airport. My wife had no blankets of any kind to cover up with, but our daughter was hungry.

It's probably not hard to determine what choice my wife made.

Wasn't aware there was disagreement on it -- our pediatrician told us that pressure changes could be very difficult for infants, as their tubes are much smaller and more difficult to clear than an older kid's.

Here's what the Mayo Clinic on the subject (just did a google on breastfeeding airplane pressure)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?id=HQ00197

A lot of topics jusst sort of gloss over the differences, but I've always understood that breastfeeding helps clear the eustachian tubes, while bottle feeding can *block* them.

Here's an exerpt from a site that seems focused on the dental effects of breastfeeding on development:

"C74 to 104 – Otitis media / Pacifiers: There is a full presentation on otitis media elsewhere on this website. Key points: Dr. Neil’s research discovered that during breastfeeding, the breast stretches / extends to the junction of the hard and soft palate or short of it. During breastfeeding, there is no pressure exerted on the soft palate that would force the soft palate up into the chamber where the eustachian tube is located. During the period of obligate nose breathing, the interlock of the soft palate and epiglottis also protects the passage to the eustachian tubes. The above is not true during bottle-feeding. Depending on length, the bottle nipple could force the soft palate up if it was long enough, but the key point during bottle-feeding is the action of the tongue. The tongue is driving back and up – by either forcing the tongue tip back into the mouth, or the tongue is forced back to protect the airway from too much flow from the bottle. This in turn forces the soft palate up and infringes on the space around the eustachian tubes. Improper firing of the muscles controlling the eustachian tubes can also be a contributing factor to otitis media."

http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/bfing_import.htm

So, use the bottle, and the kid often can't clear his ears. Additionally, if you search around a bit, it *is* mentioned that infant eustachian tubes can collapse during pressure changes. Guess I could go hunting for some linkies there...

Hey, here we go -- this is precisely what I've been trying to say:

"Note about infants and air travel:

Infants are particularly susceptible to pain with Eustachian tube collapse during pressure changes on take-off and landing. Breastfeeding your infant during these times can often greatly relieve this discomfort as the suckling reflex helps to activate the muscle that opens the Eustachian tube, thus, releasing pressure on the middle ear. "

That's from the University of Utah's Health Science Center's section on traveling pregnant and with a newborn. It's the sidebar down on the right. Here's the URL:

http://uuhsc.utah.edu/healthinfo/adult/travel/pregnant.htm

Same basic info is found at this site, towards the bottom (just search for "eustachian")

http://www.medindia.net/Patients/PatientInfo/breastfeed.htm

And, interestingly, you'll also find plenty of sites which mention generalized tips, including giving your baby a bottle:

http://www.familytravelguides.com/articles/wisetips/lansky2.html

Which is unfortunate, as bottle feeding can block the tubes itself, as per obsessive dentist guy from above ;)

That's probably information overkill at this point... Short version is, suckling helps relieve the pressure, bottle feeding doesn't accomplish the same (and you may not even be able to get bottled breastmilk onto a plane anyhow), and infant tubes can collapse from the pressure changes of flight.

One other interesting thing I came across during that Google search -- according to a few sites, *crying* can help open up the Eustachian tubes... So I guess if the kid can't get relief one way, he'll get it another :D

RedstickSooner
12/22/2004, 09:59 AM
Okay, searched around some more, and the source for all the similar-sounding tidbits is the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/pregnant.htm

"Women traveling with neonates or infants should be advised to check with their pediatricians regarding any medical contraindictions to flying. Infants are particularly susceptible to pain with eustachian tube collapse during pressure changes. Breast-feeding during ascent and descent relieves this discomfort."

I'm not sure why there seems to be some variance on the subject. The Mayo Clinic (who are known for, y'know, knowing their stuff) say that infants are no different from adults in clearing their Eustachian tubes. The CDC (and a lot of breastfeeding resources) claim that infants are particularly vulnerable.

Me, I think that probably the biggest difference is that adults know what's happening when their ears start to hurt, and can chew, yawn, etc. to clear the pressure -- while with an infant, you have to get them to work their jaws / suckle / etc. to help them do so. Breastfeeding, by protecting the eustachian tubes and also activating the sucking action, is the best method to help the infant to do so.

Or, seems that way to me... As always, if someone can come up with some better data, then I could well be wrong :D

Sexy Sooner Angel
12/22/2004, 10:00 AM
You sir should join the La Leche League

RedstickSooner
12/22/2004, 10:12 AM
And, yet another tidbit, this from the University of Miami (but it's a cached page, as Google couldn't pull up the original page from the linkee for some reason):

"What is the relationship between bottle-feeding and otitis media?

Bottle-feeding is a risk factor for developing otitis media. The position of the breast-feeding child is better than that of the bottle-feeding position in terms of function of the eustachian tube that leads into the middle ear. If a child needs to be bottle-fed, it is best to hold the infant rather than allow the child to lie down with the bottle. Ideally, the child should not take the bottle to bed. (In addition to increasing the chance for acute otitis media, falling asleep with milk in the mouth enhances the risk of tooth decay.) "

Sexy Sooner Angel
12/22/2004, 10:14 AM
Ideally, the child should not take the bottle to bed. (In addition to increasing the chance for acute otitis media, falling asleep with milk in the mouth enhances the risk of tooth decay.) "
No ****, thanks for enlightening me. :rolleyes:

RedstickSooner
12/22/2004, 10:16 AM
You sir should join the La Leche League

Nah, the wife went when she was pregnant with our first child, and made some great friends. However, she was very frustrated with the direction the organization seems headed. Rather than focus on ways to make folks aware that they're available to help mothers, they seem instead intent on making women who *don't* breasfteed feel guilty about it.

Which ain't our thang ;)

An interesting note -- after our daughter was born, at some point the subject of breastfeeding came up with my wife's grandmother (she just turned 80 recently. The grandmother. Not my wife.) and *she* had been turned onto breastfeeding by the La Leche League, waaaaaay back in the 1940s. She lived in Illinois, and apparently that's where the League got started.

The Leaches can be handy if you need help with breastfeeding, but I think they scare a lot of mothers off. I really, really wish they'd focus on getting the message out that breastfeeding can be *very* hard, and that it's okay to need help. I think that message would do a hell of a lot more good than this ridiculous "you're bad because you didn't breastfeed long enough" nonsense.

Anyhow :)

RedstickSooner
12/22/2004, 10:20 AM
No ****, thanks for enlightening me. :rolleyes:

LOL!

Yeah, you gotta wonder about some of the advice those sites include. :D

Okla-homey
12/22/2004, 10:25 AM
Speaking of extremist views, ever encountered any of those folks who insist you should let your babies sleep with you until the kid is old enough to decide its time for his/her own bed?

I don't think they have an advocacy group or anything, but they love to defend the practice by using this line: "Humans are the only animals who push their babies away from them at bedtime" to which I reply,
"Humans are the only animals who use toilet paper - what's your point?"

Stoop Dawg
12/22/2004, 10:41 AM
And, as to why someone would take an infant on an airplane, Stoop -- what would you suggest they do?

Teleport?

If it were me, and it caused my infant pain akin to sticking sewing needles in the side of his/her head, I would try my damndest not to travel at all. I'm having a hard time thinking of a case where putting an infant through that would be necessary.

For one thing, nobody knows precisely how bad the pain is from the pressure drop for the infant -- all we know is they scream and cry the entire time... But how would you hook up a baby to a machine to measure precisely how intense the pain is? Is it as intense as, say, a bad headache? A bad toothache? A kidney stone? Somewhere in between?

So the whole "sewing needle to the temple" thing was just for effect? Well played.

Suggesting the mom use the lavatory on the plane? You *have* used one of those, right? We're not talking "spacious" here.

And the seats are? You said the mom is typically embarrassed, I was providing an alternate location that may be more private.

We can go tit for tat all day, but the bottom line is that courtesy and politeness are called for in this circumstance. The mother needs to realize that it isn't polite to whip out your tit and feed your child anywhere anytime. And people need to realize that when a mother is discretely trying to feed her baby that ain't no big deal. Why is this so hard for people to comprehend? I guess that's what I disliked in your first post. It kinda said "I'll do what I want and you can just f*ck off". That kind of attitude is exactly what's wrong with society in general. Well, that and idiots who don't want a CFB playoff! ;)

Viking Kitten
12/22/2004, 10:54 AM
It kinda said "I'll do what I want and you can just f*ck off".

Actually Redstick didn't kinda say it. I explicitly said it. Redstick is using empirical evidence to support his well-formed and logical arguments. That is the difference between Redstick and myself. :)

GrapevineSooner
12/22/2004, 11:40 AM
Or, seems that way to me... As always, if someone can come up with some better data, then I could well be wrong :D
Well, I'm certainly no expert on the matter. :D

I will concede in instances where the pressure change can cause some pain that suckling certainly alleviates the problem.

Of course, infants also feed on a more frequent basis than us adults. So chances are during a 3 to 4 hour flight, they'll need to feed at least once and maybe twice. And as I mentioned, when they're hungry, they need to feed. And if that requires some breastage to be shown, so be it.

PSK2080
2/5/2005, 08:57 PM
Sorry to dig up a 2 month old post here, but my wife is currently breastfeeding our 10 day old little girl, and I found this thread to be absolutely hilarious...

StoopTroup
2/5/2005, 09:15 PM
Seems i saw where some Woman is using her Pregnant Belly as a billboard now too...

I saw it on the news the other day...

She evidently got the idea from some guy who auctioned off space on his forehead on EBAY...lol

BudSooner
2/5/2005, 10:29 PM
Oh, and we now have a 'pump room' in the HR office, too.

Apparently, there's so much pumpin' going on we had to have a room for it.

Did it look anything like this? It looks like that might cause some harm when putting boob to the intake pipe.

http://www.isvr.co.uk/graphics/pumps2.jpg

Bama/OU
2/5/2005, 10:32 PM
Speaking of breast milk, when is it time to stop? Apparently NEVAR for this guy. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4187697.stm)

:confused:

"It doesn't taste all that pleasant. It's a bit oily and there's an after-taste."
- Howard Cohen

:eek:

Okla-homey
2/6/2005, 09:40 AM
I dunno what this guys' deal is with his obsession for drinking OPBM ( other peoples breast milk ) but I think he's whacked. I could quite easily understand an obsession for the faucets, but the baby juice itself? That's just wrong.

SactoSooner
2/6/2005, 10:23 AM
Mr Cohen, who has a PhD in theoretical physics

That right there explains everything to me!

Okla-homey
2/6/2005, 11:28 AM

yup, him and Ted Ka-whatshisname, you know, the Uni-bomber dood.

Ike
2/6/2005, 11:30 AM
you need more emphasis on the theoretical in there....

theorists are wacknuts.

DCSooner
2/6/2005, 01:12 PM
He sure is tiny for a 59 yr old. See pic:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40748000/jpg/_40748011_feed_close203.jpg

Czar Soonerov
2/6/2006, 02:05 AM
Why I still breastfeed my eight-year-old girl (http://www.davesdaily.com/out.php?id=13353&url=http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=328277)

A PENRITH mum has appeared on national TV to explain why she is still breastfeeding her daughter who is nearly eight – and why she gave her older daughter breast milk as a ninth birthday present.

Veronika Robinson appeared on the Channel 4 programme Extraordinary Breastfeeding as a passionate advocate of allowing children to decided when they give up breast milk.

Mrs Robinson, a former journalist, her husband Paul, and their children, Bethany and Elizah, are all fans of organic food.

Elizah is approaching her eighth birthday and is not happy at the prospect of giving up her daily feed. “I don’t want to be weaned. I want to breastfeed for ever,” she said.

In the Channel 4 programme, broadcast on Wednesday, Mrs Robinson, 38, spoke frankly about her decision to defy convention.

She was one of several families interviewed after the World Health Organisation recommended that children should be breastfed until they are aged two. All share the belief that children should never be forcibly weaned.

While many people in the UK consider her decision odd, other cultures do not take such a dim view of prolonged breast feeding.

In an interview before the TV programme, 38-year-old Veronika described her reaction when Bethany asked for breast milk for her ninth birthday. “I was delighted, if a little taken aback,' she said.

“I'd stopped breastfeeding Bethany when she was five – though I was continuing to feed her younger sister, Elizah – but obviously she clearly remembered what a wonderful feeling it had been. It was the best thing she could imagine and, presented like that, it seemed like a great idea.”

Veronika, who edits an alternative-parenting magazine called The Mother continued: “My girls were brought up to think it was completely normal to ask for a breast in a shop,” she says. “That’s bad enough when they are toddlers, but when they are big girls, people get freaked out by it.

“I try to be discreet, but we have had some odd looks. People tend to be disgusted and disbelieving.”

“I can’t believe any mother wouldn’t love to hold onto that wonderful feeling you get when you are nursing your own child.”

Despite the Breast Is Best campaign, designed to highlight the benefits of breastfeeding to new born babies, only 68 per cent of mums routinely breastfeed. Of those around 80 per cent give up after just six months.

LoyalFan
2/6/2006, 02:24 AM
[QUOTE=Czar Soonerov] Why I still breastfeed my eight-year-old girl (http://www.davesdaily.com/out.php?id=13353&url=http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=328277)

A PENRITH mum has appeared on national TV to explain why she is still breastfeeding her daughter who is nearly eight – and why she gave her older daughter breast milk as a ninth birthday present.

Elizah is approaching her eighth birthday and is not happy at the prospect of giving up her daily feed. “I don’t want to be weaned. I want to breastfeed for ever,” she said.

END EXTRACTS .................................................. .................................

That is some sick stuff!

LoyalFan

TheHumanAlphabet
2/6/2006, 10:03 AM
Heh. "Pump room."

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole...

I had a work colleague who's wife breast feed their youngest until he was about 10. F'ing weird. The kid is a bit off...

critical_phil
2/6/2006, 10:17 AM
this really is strange - especially when the kid states that they want to breast feed forever.

maybe OUDoc can correct me, but i think antibody levels etc. decrease significantly in mature milk so i'm not sure the purpose of the breast feeding - which is why colostrum is available at the health food store if you really feel you need it.

Mjcpr
2/6/2006, 10:18 AM
Want to suckle the bewbie.

Czar Soonerov
2/6/2006, 10:21 AM
this really is strange - especially when the kid states that they want to breast feed forever.

maybe OUDoc can correct me, but i think antibody levels etc. decrease significantly in mature milk so i'm not sure the purpose of the breast feeding - which is why colostrum is available at the health food store if you really feel you need it.

Mmmmmmm, colostrum....

White House Boy
2/6/2006, 11:10 AM
Mmmmmmm, colostrum....

It beats meconium.

Jimminy Crimson
2/6/2006, 11:11 AM
What are your thoughts on strippers with projectile emissions from their bewbs? :texan:

Besides the fact that it stings!

White House Boy
2/6/2006, 11:13 AM
What are your thoughts on strippers with projectile emissions from their bews? :texan:

Besides the fact that it stings!

It beats meconium. :D