PDA

View Full Version : So....

Sooner04
11/19/2004, 10:37 AM
How big of a hit is Auburn's strength of schedule going to take this week? An inferior Alabamuh team is going to hurt their SOS as much as Baylor will hurt ours.

Thoughts?

AUTaxMan
11/19/2004, 10:46 AM
Alabama is 44 in the Sagarin ratings, Baylor is 82. This will unquestionably help Auburn. To what extent I am not sure.

colleyvillesooner
11/19/2004, 10:46 AM
no,
Baylor will be 3-8 afterwards
Alabama will be 6-5 afterwards

Sooner04
11/19/2004, 10:47 AM
How much will Alabamuh fall in the computer rankings when Auburn beats them half to death?

RedstickSooner
11/19/2004, 10:51 AM
How much will Alabamuh fall in the computer rankings when Auburn beats them half to death?

No more than if Auburn beat them by 1 point. Considering that the computers aren't allowed to use margin of victory.

AUTaxMan
11/19/2004, 11:50 AM
Because both teams are so highly ranked, neither team will move much in a loss. Thus, if both AU and OU win, AU gains ground.

Landthief 1972
11/19/2004, 11:51 AM
Since beating #22 OSU by only 3 at OSU is some sort of bad thing according to the Church of Mark May, shouldn't a win by 3 by Auburn against unranked 'Bama mean the Tigers are "overated", and are going to the Gator Bowl? :D

But seriously, shouldn't a close game where 'Bama covers the spread hurt Auburn since the OSU and aTm games are hurting OU?

boomersooner28
11/19/2004, 11:55 AM
I don't think remaining schedule has much to do with it. I don't think Auburn can gain much on us in the computers. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE VOTERS...which is VERY scary. The voters will determine who plays in the MNC game...just like they want it.

SoonerBBall
11/19/2004, 12:03 PM
nm

SoonerBBall
11/19/2004, 12:04 PM
Because both teams are so highly ranked, neither team will move much in a loss. Thus, if both AU and OU win, AU gains ground.
Not enough to matter in the slightest.

Rhino
11/19/2004, 12:04 PM
Alabama is 44 in the Sagarin ratings, Baylor is 82. This will unquestionably help Auburn. To what extent I am not sure. Actually, you're wrong.

The 44 & 82 ranks you're talking about are the overall Sagarin ratings (http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm). The overall Sagarin ratings are a combination of "ELO-CHESS" and "Pure Points".

The BCS only uses the "ELO-CHESS" component of the Sagarin ratings. In the "ELO-CHESS", Alabama is 72 and Baylor is 74.

And since they're both road games, it doesn't help either team very much.

Beano's Fourth Chin
11/19/2004, 12:06 PM
If Baylor was in the SEC, they'd finish above Alabama this year.

SoonerDane
11/19/2004, 12:13 PM
I don't think remaining schedule has much to do with it. I don't think Auburn can gain much on us in the computers. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE VOTERS...which is VERY scary. The voters will determine who plays in the MNC game...just like they want it.

I disagree. Right now it would take appox. 25% of the voters to move Auburn ahead of OU. That is 33 out of 160+ voters.

Will not happen.

OU is going to the orange bow!!!

StoopTroup
11/19/2004, 12:20 PM
It doesn't really matter...it's going to come down to the Conference Championship games.

The one that plays better is going to get the bigger boost is my guess...

boomersooner28
11/19/2004, 12:26 PM
I disagree. Right now it would take appox. 25% of the voters to move Auburn ahead of OU. That is 33 out of 160+ voters.

Will not happen.

Don't hold your breath.

mdklatt
11/19/2004, 12:36 PM
But seriously, shouldn't a close game where 'Bama covers the spread hurt Auburn since the OSU and aTm games are hurting OU?

Only if you expect the pollsters to all be stricken by some kind of virus whose symptoms include honesty, logic, and consistency.

picasso
11/19/2004, 12:44 PM
What if Allahthebama beats Allbarn? Will that help with our umm strength of BCS thing?

mdklatt
11/19/2004, 12:51 PM
What if Allahthebama beats Allbarn? Will that help with our umm strength of BCS thing?

In case you're being serious, an Alabama win would be a Very Good Thing. I'd prefer that Condom Tech got left sucking hind tit, but I'm not greedy.

Jimminy Crimson
11/19/2004, 12:53 PM
Bama is going bowling, so they do have that going for them, but Baylor would be too, if they were in the SEC.

Texas Golfer
11/19/2004, 12:54 PM
ESPN is still touting Auburn as the #1 team in the nation just like they did with LSU last year. No bias?

jreed13
11/19/2004, 12:55 PM
Sooner04's official "im an asshat look at me" thread

I say this assuming that you are not stupid and that you already know the answer so thats all im going to say.

Beano's Fourth Chin
11/19/2004, 01:05 PM
Alabama is 54th in the computers, Baylor is 46th. If OU and Auburn both win out, we'll pull away.

Nothing against Auburn, they're a class program with class fans. They just have the bad fortune of being in a conference on the decline.

mdklatt
11/19/2004, 01:08 PM
Sooner04's official "im an asshat look at me" thread

I say this assuming that you are not stupid and that you already know the answer so thats all im going to say.

Slapfight in 5...4...3...2... ;)

jreed13
11/19/2004, 01:10 PM
Alabama is 54th in the computers, Baylor is 46th. If OU and Auburn both win out, we'll pull away.

Nothing against Auburn, they're a class program with class fans. They just have the bad fortune of being in a conference on the decline.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankings

Ap Poll:

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES
Pittsburgh 31, Georgia Tech 21, Florida 11, Alabama 6, Purdue 5, Texas Tech 5, Toledo 5, UCLA 4, Southern Miss 2, Notre Dame 2, Fresno State 1, MICHIGANST 1, Navy 1, New Mexico 1.

Espn/usatoday:

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES
Northern Illinois 24, Texas Tech 20, Georgia Tech 15, Fresno State 9, Purdue 9, Navy 6, UCLA 6, UAB 5, Michigan State 4, Pittsburgh 3, Florida 3, Alabama 2, Memphis 2, Miami (OHIO) 2, Southern Miss 2, Iowa State 1, Colorado 1.

Nope No Baylor...... I do see alabama getting more points than tech in the AP poll...and more points than colorado and Iowa state in the usatoday poll. Tech is way ahead of bama in the usatoday poll though. Nope still no baylor.

Beano's Fourth Chin
11/19/2004, 01:11 PM
I take it you go to school in Alabama. That would explain the lack of reading comprehension.

computers

jreed13
11/19/2004, 01:14 PM
I take it you go to school in Alabama. That would explain the lack of reading comprehension.

computers

No I can read just fine. Since you compared them in the computer rankings I was comparing them in the human polls. Since we all know the human polls are all that matter :rolleyes: jk

just fyi as far as the school smack goes. OU flew down 3 people to talk to me and 4 other kids from the greater houston area about why we should attend OU. They also treated me to dinner :). I wanted to but they just wern't putting out the money bama was.

Boarder
11/19/2004, 01:33 PM
Tech has 25 points in the human polls vs 8 for Alabalamabala. That's 3 times as many points. That's a rout, I think.

Rhino
11/19/2004, 01:34 PM
Why is Tech running it up on Allahbama?

Leach is mean and stuff.

Sooner04
11/19/2004, 03:44 PM
Sooner04's official "im an asshat look at me" thread Personal attacks are frowned upon on this board. Let's grow up a little bit and refrain from name calling.

Has Alabamuh fallen so far as to proclaim greatness because they RECEIVED votes in the polls? I hope they don't get past 44 votes. According to the Doctrine of 1941, 44 votes in any poll are all that's needed for Alabamuh to claim another national championship.

jreed13
11/19/2004, 04:23 PM
Personal attacks are frowned upon on this board. Let's grow up a little bit and refrain from name calling.

Has Alabamuh fallen so far as to proclaim greatness because they RECEIVED votes in the polls? I hope they don't get past 44 votes. According to the Doctrine of 1941, 44 votes in any poll are all that's needed for Alabamuh to claim another national championship.
People have enough beef with what mark may and trev alberts say and your opinion isnt much better. As far as growing up goes, maybe you need to educate yourself a little better before you post. To think that Alabama is a worse team than baylor is completely ludicrous. In fact the only reason you posted this thread was to take a cheap shot at Alabama. Anybody who has read the posts between us can clearly see that. So that in itself is really childish in my opinion. Last time we argued about Alabama you came up with the intelligent conclusion of "I can hate bama um uh becuase I can". You are absolutely right and I hope you continue to do so. I certainly wouldnt want a person like yoursef cheering for Bama because personally I think you make OU fans look bad. You have done some homework though becuase im impressed with your knowledge of the 1941 MNC. Not all bama fans, including myself, think that is a fairly claimed MNC. In actuality the NCAA recognizes 17 national championships for Alabama but the school claims 12. So tell me Sooner04 how many championships do you think Bama should have and why? As far as the topic goes I feel like im stickin to the topic (which is bashing Bama) becuase we all know that there is no comparison between them and baylor. Also since you seem to hate everything I post Id like you to go find one post where I have ever said anything negative about OU.

jreed13
11/19/2004, 04:27 PM
Not that anybody cares but here is Sooner04s posts that I keep refering to: http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24783

OUthunder
11/19/2004, 04:28 PM

Will not happen.

If OU doesn't win at Baylor and against the north champion on Dec.4, then this is a moot point isn't it?

One day at a time folks.

SoonerDane
11/19/2004, 04:32 PM
Oh, you're right.

All this talk about who should be in the MNC is wrong.

Please everyone stop talking about games that are more than one game out we wouldn't want to offend anyone.

jreed13
11/19/2004, 04:34 PM
If OU doesn't win at Baylor and against the north champion on Dec.4, then this is a moot point isn't it?

One day at a time folks.
your right. Boomer Sooner and Roll Tide :D

OUthunder
11/19/2004, 04:35 PM
Oh, you're right.

All this talk about who should be in the MNC is wrong.

Please everyone stop talking about games that are more than one game out we wouldn't want to offend anyone.

No need to get pissy I was just sayin. :D

SoonerDane
11/19/2004, 04:47 PM
I agree, if OU does not win out then it is all a moot point, including this thread.

Why would we really care about an Auburn/ Bama game.

Most every thread on this board as something to do with OU going to the MNC.

Paperclip
11/19/2004, 04:48 PM
Easy there rookie. ;)

Boarder
11/19/2004, 04:56 PM
Why do you have "Bama's #1" in your title? Then you try to say you're an OU fan.

Bama's NOT #1. That's pretty evident, with only 8 votes received.

jreed13
11/19/2004, 04:59 PM
*sigh*

My title isnt: Bama is #1 - ou fan
it is: Bama's ( as in belonging to alabama) number one OU fan (because I was born and raised in Norman by to alums)

Paperclip
11/19/2004, 05:01 PM
*sigh* as in im the #1 ou fan in alabama. If you took the time to post this then please take the time to read my signiture which i have clearly labled. Huh Bamas not number one :eek: when? where? I had no idea :rolleyes:

My title isnt: Bama is #1 - ou fan
it is: Bama's ( as in belonging to alabama) number one OU fan (because I was born and raised in Norman by to alums)

Go ahead and edit that before you get accused of not understanding sarcasm.

jreed13
11/19/2004, 05:03 PM
Well theres no point in me editing it now that you posted that

Boarder
:lwm: hehe

Rhino
Why do you have "Bama's #1" in your title? Then you try to say you're an OU fan.

Bama's NOT #1. That's pretty evident, with only 8 votes received. Heh.

Sooner04
11/19/2004, 05:47 PM
it is: Bama's ( as in belonging to alabama) number one OU fan (because I was born and raised in Norman by to alums) I wouldn't claim to belong to Alabamuh even if I took a dump in Birmingham.

By to alums? Is that the same as Et tu Brute?

jreed13
11/19/2004, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't claim to belong to Alabamuh even if I took a dump in Birmingham.

By to alums? Is that the same as Et tu Brute?

wow, talking smack because I missed a key while typing. Is that the best youve got? Come on Sooner04 lets have a logical argument. You can do it!

P.S. That was almost as good as your governor smack ;)

jreed13
11/19/2004, 11:51 PM
Alright Im bumpin this to the top because Sooner04 still feels the need to find everything I post and take cheap shots at me. Come on Sooner04 you have fled from every logical argument I have ever made.

Re: So....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner04
Personal attacks are frowned upon on this board. Let's grow up a little bit and refrain from name calling.

People have enough beef with what mark may and trev alberts say and your opinion isnt much better. As far as growing up goes, maybe you need to educate yourself a little better before you post. To think that Alabama is a worse team than baylor is completely ludicrous. In fact the only reason you posted this thread was to take a cheap shot at Alabama. Anybody who has read the posts between us can clearly see that. So that in itself is really childish in my opinion. Last time we argued about Alabama you came up with the intelligent conclusion of "I can hate bama um uh becuase I can". You are absolutely right and I hope you continue to do so. I certainly wouldnt want a person like yoursef cheering for Bama because personally I think you make OU fans look bad. You have done some homework though becuase im impressed with your knowledge of the 1941 MNC. Not all bama fans, including myself, think that is a fairly claimed MNC. In actuality the NCAA recognizes 17 national championships for Alabama but the school claims 12. So tell me Sooner04 how many championships do you think Bama should have and why? As far as the topic goes I feel like im stickin to the topic (which is bashing Bama) becuase we all know that there is no comparison between them and baylor. Also since you seem to hate everything I post Id like you to go find one post where I have ever said anything negative about OU.

Sooner24
12/12/2004, 09:52 PM

In actuality the NCAA does not recognize any D-1 National Champions in football since it does not sanction a championship. If they credit Alabama with 17 then it would have to be at the DII level or lower.

Look at page 290 of this link and you will see that the NCAA does not credit Alabama with any National Titles.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/fall_champs_records_book/2003/2003_fall_champs_records.pdf

jreed13
12/13/2004, 12:04 AM
In actuality the NCAA does not recognize any D-1 National Champions in football since it does not sanction a championship. If they credit Alabama with 17 then it would have to be at the DII level or lower.

Look at page 290 of this link and you will see that the NCAA does not credit Alabama with any National Titles.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/fall_champs_records_book/2003/2003_fall_champs_records.pdf

Sooner24 thanks for digging up this old thread and thanks for playing. I have a question for you. If the NCAA doesnt recognize D1 national championships then Why is there a page titled "Past Division I-A Football National Champions" on the NCAA home page? Link: http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

heres another quote and link:

Editor's note: The NCAA does not conduct a national championship in Divi sion I-A football and is not involved in the selection process. Using all the various or ganizations that named national champions in football going back to 1869, Princeton and Yale have 26 national titles apiece, Notre Dame has 21 and Alabama has 17. If you use the AP poll, Notre Dame has won eight national championships, Oklahoma seven and Alabama six.

http://www.al.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/sports/109005583076210.xml

you can also check out: http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/football_records_book/2004/2004_d1_football_records.pdf (scroll down to the mid 80's)

You are probably just a troll handle of Sooner04 but anyway have fun with that ;)

SelmaBamaFan
12/13/2004, 01:24 AM
Sooner24 is just Sooner04, but 20 years later... right? :confused:

badger
12/13/2004, 01:56 AM
Whoa, guys. I went down to Alabama last year, and aside from those buildings next to your stadium (dorms, possibly??) it was beautiful. Your fans were a lot nicer than nearly any team's in the Big 12 (Exceptions include Nebraska and Baylor), and you've got a great football history.

But so long as we're playing the "my school is better than your school game," why do you claim 13 championships? Why did I hear Bear Bryant's name at least 50 times that afternoon (I don't hear Barry or Bud's name that often in an entire season)?

PS: i'm nobody's troll, and I will claim residence in a neutral state (if you guess which one, I'll give you spek). about all I'll be biased about is OU being the greatest team in the country right now.

SelmaBamaFan
12/13/2004, 02:04 AM
Whoa, guys. I went down to Alabama last year, and aside from those buildings next to your stadium (dorms, possibly??) it was beautiful.

You must be talking about the buck-o-five apartments on the west side of the stadium. Yeah, those are really an eyesore, but are great if you are a student :D You can tear the hell out of those places and no one really cares. They end up charging you like... 50 bucks for repairs heh.

PS: i'm nobody's troll, and I will claim residence in a neutral state (if you guess which one, I'll give you spek).

errr.... Wisconsin??? and how many guesses do I get?

As for the "my school is better, etc" thing... I dont get into that much. It's all a POV thing anyways (aka opinion).

badger
12/13/2004, 02:18 AM
ding ding. you win spek. I considered changing my name after the embarrassing losses, but i see it as more of a state thing as opposed to a football team thing, in which case i would be "sooner," but I assume that name's taken.

those buildings indeed suck, but they must be filled with aesbestos for not burning down yet, right?

jreed13
12/13/2004, 05:24 AM
Whoa, guys. I went down to Alabama last year, and aside from those buildings next to your stadium (dorms, possibly??) it was beautiful. Your fans were a lot nicer than nearly any team's in the Big 12 (Exceptions include Nebraska and Baylor), and you've got a great football history.

But so long as we're playing the "my school is better than your school game," why do you claim 13 championships? Why did I hear Bear Bryant's name at least 50 times that afternoon (I don't hear Barry or Bud's name that often in an entire season)?

PS: i'm nobody's troll, and I will claim residence in a neutral state (if you guess which one, I'll give you spek). about all I'll be biased about is OU being the greatest team in the country right now.

No no no. I think you misunderstand me. I dont want to play the my school is better than your school game. I am a soonerfan first and foremost, but I do go here(bammer) and threrefore I feel the need to defend my school (even though I dont know much about it yet) when somebody makes a post saying we are worse than Baylor. Can you really blame me? Im not trying to force liking my school on anybody. You guys are soonerfans and its up to you on whether or not you choose to respect more than just or own team. Im fine with that because up until six months ago I was the same way.

GulfCoastBamaFan
12/13/2004, 12:54 PM
No no no. I think you misunderstand me. I dont want to play the my school is better than your school game. I am a soonerfan first and foremost, but I do go here(bammer) and threrefore I feel the need to defend my school (even though I dont know much about it yet) when somebody makes a post saying we are worse than Baylor. Can you really blame me? Im not trying to force liking my school on anybody. You guys are soonerfans and its up to you on whether or not you choose to respect more than just or own team. Im fine with that because up until six months ago I was the same way.

My ties to different schools are more convoluted than even yours. I grew up a Bama fan and ended up going to school there. But I was about > < that close to going to LSU. I have a lot of friends who are alumni, including some of my poker buddies and the guy I coach girls basketball with.

By the way, we're 18-1 over the last two years, with two championship trophies already in the case and five years left to coach this team.

But I also have deep family ties to Oklahoma, and feel as much a part of the Sooner Nation as anyone. I just love college football, and I have an innate dislike for anything orange. I don't even like Syracuse.

If you want to use the AP count, that's fine with me. If you want to use the NCAA list, that's fine. If you want to use any count that falls somewhere between those two, that's fine with me as well. As far as I'm concerned, the only national championship that means anything is the one that's about to be decided.

I remember Sooner04 visiting www.tidefans.com during the 2002 season. At least I think it was him. He was a joker and cut-up and didn't care if you took him seriously or not. I didn't. :D

Sooner24
12/13/2004, 07:58 PM
Sooner24 thanks for digging up this old thread and thanks for playing. I have a question for you. If the NCAA doesnt recognize D1 national championships then Why is there a page titled "Past Division I-A Football National Champions" on the NCAA home page? Link: http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

heres another quote and link:

http://www.al.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/sports/109005583076210.xml

you can also check out: http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/football_records_book/2004/2004_d1_football_records.pdf (scroll down to the mid 80's)

You are probably just a troll handle of Sooner04 but anyway have fun with that ;)

The NCAA does not conduct a national championship in Division I-A football and is not involved in the selection process. Since 1998, the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) operated jointly by the ACC, Southeastern, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten and Pacific-10 Conferences has used a ranking system to determine the number one and number two teams at the end of the season. These two teams play each other in a post-season bowl game for the BCS national championship. Below is a year-by-year history of Division I-A football national champions as determined by various organizations:

If you could read you would see that no where in there does it say that they recognize a champion. Heck the Golden Flake potato chip company that Bear Bryant used to advertise for probably picked Alabama on that list somewhere.

Thanks for letting me play. :D

Beano's Fourth Chin
11/9/2006, 09:35 PM
People have enough beef with what mark may and trev alberts say and your opinion isnt much better. As far as growing up goes, maybe you need to educate yourself a little better before you post. To think that Alabama is a worse team than baylor is completely ludicrous.

Alabama IS a worse team than Baylor.

Cam
11/9/2006, 09:39 PM
Beano getting the duster out to bash Bama. Feel the hate.

RacerX
11/9/2006, 10:02 PM
Beano can't do anything to Bama that Shula hasn't already done.

- Bear Bryant

Rogue
11/9/2006, 10:47 PM
Wow, talk about using the search-tool. Beano wields the search tool like a blunt weapon.

Sooner_Bob
11/9/2006, 10:51 PM
DOH!

colleyvillesooner
11/10/2006, 12:05 AM
Wow, talk about using the search-tool. Beano wields the search tool like a blunt weapon.

Bear Bryant invented teh search tool.

SoonerTerry
11/10/2006, 12:18 AM

Thats good stuff man.... made me chuckle..:D