PDA

View Full Version : Dead Batteries!!!!

mrowl
10/4/2003, 09:00 AM
My Remote Control batteries are dead!@#!@$! CRAP!

Where can I steal some double AA's from? Smoke alarm? Alarm clock?

SOONER44EVER
10/4/2003, 09:54 AM
Another remote. If you are like me you have about 15 of them laying around.

afs
10/4/2003, 10:02 AM
it's good to always take the batteries from the smoke detector first because they're almost always freshly charged. i mean how much use do you get out of a smoke detector anyways and it's not like it's all that important.

the only problem is that most of my smoke detectors have 9-volts in them.

mrowl
10/4/2003, 10:09 AM
damn, mine has a 9-Volt. And I can't find my other remotes.

I will take them out of my flashlight. It's daytime, so no need for that.

RedstickSooner
10/4/2003, 11:01 AM

Dude, you've got it all wrong. If you've got an old-fashioned 'puter, it's probably got some kinda nicad AA-based battery backup for the internal clock.

Just rip that puppy out. Who cares what time your computer thinks it is?

Boarder
10/4/2003, 12:53 PM
Go to Sam's. Buy the Super-Mega Pack of AA batteries. Then buy another, and another. Keep them in the drawer, next to the single batteries that you don't know if they are charged or not. Then, you don't run out. When you open the last big package, go get some more.

AA batteries disappear like toilet paper in water around my house.

OUthunder
10/4/2003, 01:25 PM
When it comes to remotes, always have a backup!

mrowl
10/4/2003, 01:39 PM
Thats my problem... I don't have a backup remote. I should store that with the buckets of batteries I am going to buy at Sams.

OUthunder
10/4/2003, 02:39 PM
Sam's has the industrial size packages of batteries! I have some for all of the remotes and the kiddies toys!

RedstickSooner
10/4/2003, 03:36 PM
Actually, Sam's is okay, but the prices on batteries aren't really "write home to mama" quality.

Your best bet for AAs is to wait for an online sale. Circuit City often has these sales for 48 Maxell AAs for $9.99. Yeah, they're Maxell rather than Energizer or Duracell, but they're still Alkaline, and with Maxell, you aren't paying for all those endless battery commercials.

At less than 25 cents per battery, they're a lot cheaper than Sam's typically is (if my memory serves me).

Maybe next time they have one of them sales, I'll post about it somewhere here in the Oval. Y'know.

RedstickSooner
10/4/2003, 03:40 PM
Oh, and one other option is rechargeables.

But, if you go that route, don't do NiCads. NiCads stink.

Get a NiMH. They cost more, but they put out *way* better power, and the good ones last much longer on a full charge than even a brand-new alklaline.

I use 'em in my remote control, because that little bugger gets a serious workout. With so many channels to surf through, I spend a lot of time changing channels. Now, whenever the remote signal seems to be getting weak, I just pop the NiMHs into their charger overnight, and put 'em back in the remote in the morning.

In theory, they'd also be good for any toys your kids like to leave on. That's why I originally got them -- so my daughter could have a flashlight that she could play with and just leave on (up until that point, she'd been doing this with my 3 D-cell-powered Maglite, which was kinda pricey to cope with). When she grew out of her flashlight-fascination stage, I just task-switched the batteries to remote duty. (I chose AAAs because Kodak had a great sale when they closed out their AAA NiMH batteries and chargers)

Anyhow.

Somehow I think this was waaaaay too much detail for the subject matter.

I need to find new things to obsess about.

RedstickSooner
10/4/2003, 03:41 PM
Get a NiMH.

Come to think of it, get more than one.

Flagstaffsooner
10/4/2003, 11:28 PM
Get them out of your wifes vibrator.

sooner_born_1960
10/5/2003, 12:38 AM

Any flashlight with AA batteries isn't a real flashlight anyway.

RedstickSooner
10/5/2003, 12:51 AM
Any flashlight with AA batteries isn't a real flashlight anyway.

Flashlights with AAA batteries can be pretty cool.

I'm still proud of the day I took my wife to the E.R. and the examing physician said "I need a light."

I said, "I've got one," and started rummaging in my pocket.

Him, seeing my scruffy appearance and figuring me for, well, a moronic rube, started to protest that it wasn't "that kind of light".

Then I produced my micro-Maglite-on-a-keychain. When he discovered that it was just as bright as them fancy penlights the docs favor *and* totally focusable, well, you could just color him impressed.

Ever since then, the wife has been totally incapable of making fun of me for my flashlight and/or battery fetish :D

SOONER44EVER
10/6/2003, 03:46 AM
Get them out of your wifes vibrator.
:eek:

OU4LIFE
10/6/2003, 07:57 AM
um, get up and walk to the tv.

sooner_born_1960
10/6/2003, 09:02 AM
I hope I'm never too lazy to tell my wife to get up and change the channel for me.

RacerX
10/6/2003, 10:00 AM
chain together some potatos.

crawfish
2/6/2006, 05:17 PM
I hate people who bump a thread just because it's the oldest and they're bored.

Howzit
2/6/2006, 05:26 PM
You need to apologize for this.

crawfish
2/6/2006, 05:30 PM
I already proactively apologized in the apology thread.

So, no additional apology necessary.

1stTimeCaller
2/6/2006, 05:32 PM
You need to apologize for this.

take it to the D&D forum

GottaHavePride
2/6/2006, 05:33 PM
For the record, a tiny SureFire flashlight with two lithium batteries totaly pwns even a 4 D-cell Mag-Lite. Except in the "clubbing miscreants" category.

Howzit
2/6/2006, 05:35 PM
I already proactively apologized in the apology thread.

So, no additional apology necessary.

That was for not begin funny lately, which has no relevance here.

Howzit
2/6/2006, 05:36 PM
take it to the D&D forum

IT'S FOLDER YOU DOOFUS!!!1

ChickSoonerFan
2/6/2006, 05:49 PM
I have a flashlight that doesn't even need batteries.

You just "pump" it up and down really fast and it has like a little generator in there and then you have light.

see if you hadn't have bumbed this you wouldn't have heard that facinating story :rolleyes:

IB4OU2
2/6/2006, 05:52 PM

You just "pump" it up and down really fast and it has like a little generator in there.

see if you hadn't have bumbed this you wouldn't have heard that facinating story :rolleyes:

Does Stan mind the little generator reference?

Stanley1
2/6/2006, 06:19 PM
Does Stan mind the little generator reference?

:mad:

colleyvillesooner
2/6/2006, 06:28 PM

You just "pump" it up and down really fast and it has like a little generator in there and then you have light.

yeah, um, that's not a flashlight.

crawfish
2/6/2006, 07:34 PM
That was for not begin funny lately, which has no relevance here.

You mean it was funny?

Howzit
2/7/2006, 06:41 AM

You mean like in Parenthood?

sanantoniosooner
2/7/2006, 10:18 AM
Sam's has the industrial size packages of batteries! I have some for all the kiddies toys!
Toy batteries should not be replaceable.

By the time that noisy piece of crap shuts up I'm glad it's dead.