PDA

View Full Version : Gameday Traditions and Superstitions...

Rogue
9/4/2004, 11:01 AM
Myself, I hung my OU Flag up out front, chilled a mug in the freezer, and just poured my first Red Beer of the day.

Nearly panicked. We moved in March and I couldn't find my flagpole, had to improvise with some power tools. Sadly, no duct tape was needed.

Flagstaffsooner
9/4/2004, 11:03 AM
Sung the Chant facing Norman in Red underwear at sunrise.

soonercody
9/4/2004, 11:04 AM
Red Beer, yup.
Boomer Sooner!
The OU Chant!
Hold my breath, turn three times, review the depth chart.
When in Norman, this is all different.

King Crimson
9/4/2004, 11:06 AM
used to be a turkey sandwich with hot mustard at Amspacher's....now it's just rising with the sun. craked a beer just now. wearing all red.

gotta love hearing the Boomer Sooner chant on the radio/net.

My Opinion Matters
9/4/2004, 03:00 PM
Every time I'm watching a game at home on television and we're losing I start washing dishes. It worked every time up until the Big 12 championship game last year.

Rogue
9/1/2007, 09:26 AM
Bump. What are your traditions on gameday?

Other than above, I usually make queso and/or chili. Sadly, this is the first season in 11 years that Kaizer the super german shepherd dog won't be out back playing frisbee/middle linebacker to warm up for the game.

Miko
9/1/2007, 09:31 AM
Red beer, Flag unfurled, red and white flowers for Mrs. Miko. Clean the kitchen before the fam wakes up. Awaken everyone with game day up loud. Threaten the chillins if they touch the television on Saturday!

Newbomb Turk
9/1/2007, 09:46 AM
craked a beer just now.

dang - did a double-take when I read this. Then I noticed the date. :D

I'll be making wings later today. try to make them for every game.

AzianSooner
9/1/2007, 09:52 AM
I won't do any supertitious thing this game nor Miami nor the game after that until --> Texas and OSU.

Newbomb Turk
9/1/2007, 09:54 AM
supertitious

reminds me of an old girlfriend.

UTisLousy
9/1/2007, 09:57 AM
***DID SOMEONE SAY THERE WERE GAMES ON TODAY?***
Foosball and Pool table both uncovered. Cues chalked. Ping Pong paddles of two different varieties available. Electronic Scoreboard on the foosball table functioning properly. Fridge is loaded with beer. When I say loaded I mean there is nothing but beer in this fridge people. Full size fridge too. I'm pretty proud of myself about the fridge and the sheer amount of beer in it as you can tell. That's a new addition this year. Every game the fridge will be crammed packed with beer just like today. I am making that pledge right now to all you fellow posters. The fridge will ALWAYS be completely full on GAMEDAY. Got the cable box set to record on two channels of football. The HD Over the Air tuner in my desktop is working like a champ. Streaming that signal through the Xbox360 is working flawlessly. Last but certainly not least I'm wearing the signed Jason White hat and when THE game comes on tonight I'm going to switch to the shiny Adrian Peterson signed OU hat with the Adrian Peterson signed Jersey.

This day of 1-Sept 2007 I am personally declaring Adrian Peterson Day. We will be honoring Adrian for his Personal and Team accomplishments and also the AWESOME contributions he has now made with the influence his legacy created in helping recruit highly talented running backs to OU. Thank you Adrian you are a Bad A$$ MOFO and cannot be commended enough for all that you have done for OU and what your legacy will be doing for OU in the future.

It's nothing but football, pool, ping pong, and foosball all day and until the the last game going at night hits double zeros. GF's are first screened by properly answering 5 football terminology questions correctly before entering the room. They get all 5 right they can stay. If they miss one or more questions we break up with them or face the consquences of painting our toenails pink. I told my GF she better not risk it and to go do something with her friends. She'll soon realize HER season is over with now. Man, I'm going to miss her. I'm ready for the games folks. :)

jrsooner
9/1/2007, 10:25 AM
Banner Flag just went up in the front room. We have a small overhang section that we put it up every game day. Kids have donned their OU gear, and we've already made fun of Corso this morning.

It's going to be a good day. :)

Kels
9/1/2007, 10:56 AM
Home games?

Make my special homemade barbeque sauce the night before. Each season my tailgate crew names it after our pre-season MVP. This year, it's the Kelly Sauce.

Double-check binoculars, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, binaca, radio, headphones, hand sanitizer, cell phone, and tickets.

Head over to the BSU and set up tents, grill, flatscreen, and chairs.

Brush up on my Spanish (all of my tailgate crew are either Cuban or Mexican).

Eat ungodly amounts of chorizo and eggs, fajitas, and other Latin foods.

Each member of our tailgate crew picks their offense and defensive player of the year from OU, the score, and the first offensive play from scrimmage.

Away games?

Put out an APB to all of my students about our watch party. Typically, we'll have a couple of large video projectors and screens to watch the game.

The arrangement is that every student brings whatever they want to eat, and I'll cook it on my 10 foot grill/smoker. I'll cook everything from salmon to filet mignon to chicken that day.

We'll have over 80 students come over. It's a lot of fun.

FlatheadSooner
9/1/2007, 11:01 AM
Usually watch the weekly Sooners Rewind show with Stoops first thing in the morning and then move on to College Gameday. Bacon and eggs breakfast today. Haven't bought and OU flag yet but plan to this year (have to share flag-time with wife from Purdue). The OU marching band CD gets blared throughout the house about 15 minutes before kickoff - we take turns with the kids leading the march. I'll be wearing crimson OU hat with cream(J.White) jersey. Shiner Bock starts flowing about an hour before kickoff. During bad play and close games I've been know to stand behind the couch and frequently pace. The wife calls those "good games" but she just doesn't quite understand OU football yet.

UTisLousy
9/1/2007, 11:03 AM
Great gameday experience Kels. I especially like the 1st play from scrimmage predictions. The Kelly sauce is a good idea too. I think I'll borrow some of your ideas and install them into the GAMEDAY PREPERATIONS playbook we created.

OUinFLA
9/1/2007, 11:35 AM
wondering if ouflak will show up to start the "Offical Game Thread"?

anyone heard from him lately?

soonercody
9/1/2007, 01:01 PM
Yeah, FLAK is around today. Or he was this mornin'.

OKLA21FAN
9/1/2007, 01:28 PM
my neighbors were 'ready' for me this year in Desoto.(remember last year I had two 'official' police complaints for 'disturbing the piece' for playing Boomer Sooner at the top of every hour till game time over my out door speakers)

well this year the neighbor across the street is playing Texas Fight....heheheee

my system is louder than his ;)

and we have upped the interval to every 30 minutes

but he does like 'Nine and Swing', and ask me to play that more.. :pop:

LIVE ON UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!

SoonerBOI
9/1/2007, 05:02 PM
unfurl the flag in dawg country.

ouflak
9/1/2007, 05:28 PM
Well my normal tradition has been derailed a bit. But since it's just North Texas, it should be ok.

Rogue
8/30/2008, 05:39 PM
Bump...it's been a year.

ouflak
8/30/2008, 05:44 PM
Wow. I was just about to post about the game thread. Glad I read through this.