PDA

View Full Version : RIP Top Daug??

Phil
9/2/2004, 10:59 PM
That's what I hear from a reliable source. Word is that the AD wants to have only ONE mascot, so Top Daug is out. They are going to replace him with a pair of guys in horse costumes called Boomer and Sooner, like the Shetlands. I kid you not.

:eddie:

Harry Beanbag
9/2/2004, 11:17 PM
You've got to be freaking kidding me. That sounds retarded. :o

ouflak
9/3/2004, 07:18 AM
Wait a minute, if the AD (who I think has just a bit too much a tendency to fart around with stuff like this) wants only one mascot, then why would he be replacing the current one mascot with two new ones??

Phil
9/3/2004, 08:41 AM
Wait a minute, if the AD (who I think has just a bit too much a tendency to fart around with stuff like this) wants only one mascot, then why would he be replacing the current one mascot with two new ones??

Heh. You know the answer to this one. :hmfic:

scotplum
9/3/2004, 10:10 AM
I believe this was actually in the OKC Gazette this week (the one with Calvin on the cover). Came as a shock to me.

Beano's Fourth Chin
9/3/2004, 10:27 AM
Will they get to come to football games too? I'm tired of not having a mascot team on NCAA video games.

Rhino
9/3/2004, 11:02 AM
This is ridiculous.

jk the sooner fan
9/3/2004, 11:09 AM
that sucks, i'd like to voice an opinion on that decision with the AD

Scott D
9/3/2004, 12:16 PM
I heard talk about getting rid of Top Daug when Tubbs abruptly left during my Soph. year at OU.

Paperclip
9/3/2004, 12:37 PM
This is ridiculous.

As ridiculous as having a giant dog in the first place? By the way, the avatar limit is back to 80 x 80.

Enrico Palazo
9/3/2004, 02:02 PM
we've got a lot of idiots in high places within the athletic department. they wouldn't know a fan-friendly atmosphere if it came up behind them and beat them to death with a shovel.

GottaHavePride
9/3/2004, 02:44 PM
Hey, other people are starting to catch on to what PrideTrombone and I have been saying all this time... ;)

GottaHavePride
9/3/2004, 02:45 PM
Oh, and they talked about this in the student paper a year or two ago, and student reaction was uniformly negative.

roostercogburn
9/3/2004, 02:56 PM
It's all about money.

Phil
9/3/2004, 03:14 PM
Well, ****, and here I thought I had a scoop. I really did hear it from a reliable source, though.

GottaHavePride
9/3/2004, 03:16 PM
Well, they were only suggesting it at the time. If they went ahead and did it, it's definitely news. :hmfic:

jccouger
9/3/2004, 05:09 PM
As ridiculous as having a giant dog in the first place?

Agreed.

I wonder what our new mascot(s) are going to look like.

sooneron
9/3/2004, 05:12 PM
OU's first mascot WAS a dog- Mex!

I call BS. I love Top Daug

GottaHavePride
9/3/2004, 05:48 PM
Except when he knocks over someone's coke.

King Crimson
9/3/2004, 06:07 PM
bring back the top hat with TD.

OUHOMER
9/3/2004, 06:37 PM
They should have put this on their survey. I bet the over all response would have been keep TD

PrideTrombone
9/3/2004, 11:40 PM
Have I mentioned today that Joe C. is a ****stick? This is just the latest example. I'd gladly kick him in the crotch if given the chance.

Harry Beanbag
9/4/2004, 12:22 AM
Agreed.

I wonder what our new mascot(s) are going to look like.

http://www.funfolly.com/g/mascots/c27170ud.jpg

BigRedJed
9/4/2004, 04:55 PM
...Word is that the AD wants to have only ONE mascot, so Top Daug is out...
Listen, I know Peterson was a huge get, and it looks like he's the real deal, but do you think they should be letting him make decisions of this magnitude? I think they're going a little overboard here...

Harry Beanbag
9/4/2004, 06:12 PM
:D

bri
9/5/2004, 03:41 PM
As usual, we are reminded that Joe C. is...

GOOD at hiring and keeping great coaches
and
BAD at just about everything else

Hey, I've got an idea; maybe the new mascot can be a guy dressed in a sequin-y tux. Oooh, shiny!

OklahomaTuba
9/5/2004, 07:58 PM
thats to bad. Although if done right, the new mascots might be a good thing for OU in the branding/merchandise sales department.

BTW, remember when they tried to screw with the interlocking OU? That didn't go over well at all.

PrideTrombone
9/5/2004, 08:17 PM
As usual, we are reminded that Joe C. is...

GOOD at hiring and keeping great coaches
and
BAD at just about everything else

Hey, I've got an idea; maybe the new mascot can be a guy dressed in a sequin-y tux. Oooh, shiny!

Heh.

the_ouskull
9/6/2004, 09:35 AM
Maybe we can get a few thousand new mascots dressed as fans and plant them randomly throughout the LNC in various chairs so that Kelvin's team will finally get some of the respect and recognition it deserves...

the_ouskull

SoonerShark
9/6/2004, 10:47 AM
I liked Little Red. FSU has a Seminole mascot. We had Little Red, which celebrated our state's native American heritage. Of course, many would say it was not proper to only allow Native American males to be a Native American mascot. Therefore, we need a student who is a hermaphroditic Heinz 57 individual to play the part. Was Top Daug potty trained and neutered?

GottaHavePride
9/6/2004, 01:09 PM
Attention, TopDawg: have you ever had to purchase "Oops, I Crapped My Pants"?

Edit: and yet another good post makes no sense due to a poorly timed top-o-the-page.

Jimminy Crimson
9/7/2004, 02:26 PM
Blame it on the alcohol!

Sooner_Bob
9/7/2004, 02:54 PM
Wouldn't be the same without the dog . . .

TopDawg
9/7/2004, 05:47 PM
I've heard from a reliable source that the costumes aren't all that bad. One of the past TD's is going to be one of the current BS's ;) and word is that the expectation was for goofy costumes, but they are actually okay.

There have been a multitude of bad decisions surrounding this deal. And by "multitude" I mean "mackin lot." :norm:

But nobody asked me...which was one of the bad decisions.

Oh, and I was potty trained, but not neutered. Some of those bratty kids sure did try, though.

PrideTrombone
9/7/2004, 11:18 PM
Enough band angst. Let's have some mascot angst.

GottaHavePride
9/7/2004, 11:42 PM
Didn't you have more respek than that before the pride thread blew up?

The Original "soonerjeff"
9/8/2004, 02:40 AM
I heard the same rumor last week and apparently the student paper on campus was even ready to run a story about it on Friday before the first game. I guess everything fell through, if they were going to unveil it last week. We'll have to wait and see about this week. Maybe this will end up being a year-long game that we play with the Athletic Department: Wait and see if this will be the week that they unveil the new mascot. Its like Russian Roulette with cartoon figures

TopDawg
9/8/2004, 09:08 AM
Originally they were going to go with one crimson pony and one white pony. But in one of the few good decisions surrounding this whole deal, they decided to make them both white horses (ya know, like the REAL Boomer and Sooner). However, the decision came too late to have both costumes ready by last week's game so they had to delay the unveiling until (probably) this week.

Boarder
9/8/2004, 12:36 PM
Could be worse:

http://www.zianet.com/boje/vc/pistolpete2.jpg

MUCH Worse.

Landthief 1972
9/8/2004, 01:15 PM
I like to call Pistol Pete the Child Molestor. He looks like a dirty old man who wants to feel up your kids.

TopDawg
9/8/2004, 04:45 PM
Here's the most recent word I've heard:

The mascots won't be introduced at the next home game...they'll just show up. This is because the higher-ups don't want to upset any alums who might be fans of Top Daw(u)g.

BRILLIANT! :mack:

Boarder
9/8/2004, 04:49 PM
By next home game, you are talking about football? Or the next basketball?

TopDawg
9/8/2004, 05:55 PM
Oh yeah...sorry. Football. Meaning this Saturday.

Harry Beanbag
9/8/2004, 07:34 PM
So we're gonna have two dudes in horse costumes pulling the Schooner around Owen Field now? I'm so confused.

SeattleOUstudent
9/11/2004, 07:40 AM
not dudes, dogs.

GottaHavePride
9/11/2004, 10:58 AM
Dogs dressed up like horses pulling a rickshaw around Owen Field? That'll be sah-weet!

bri
9/12/2004, 01:32 AM
It's bound to **** someone off, though...

GottaHavePride
9/12/2004, 01:10 PM
Only Short Round. He'll be out of a job.

proud gonzo
9/12/2004, 01:15 PM
You say to stand against the wall! I just do what you say! Not my fault! Not my fault!

bri
9/12/2004, 01:22 PM
I'm very little! You cheat very big!

GottaHavePride
9/12/2004, 01:52 PM
Thread = jacked.

bri
9/12/2004, 01:55 PM
Damn skippy it is. :D

My work here is done.

badger
9/12/2004, 07:55 PM
for those of you wondering how we got a "top dawg/daug" in the first place, here is a nice little article from the OU Daily. It ran last January.
---

Mascots entertain, draw in fans and promote OU teams to victory, but they are also representatives of the university.

As a fan favorite who attends every home basketball game and major tournament, Top Daug/Dawg is an icon for the OU. However, after making appearances in everything from car commercials to other events, some are questioning whom OU’s mascot is really representing.

Rick Hart, associate athletic director for marketing and promotions, said he thinks any time a mascot or any other university group such as the RUF/NEKS or spirit squads appear in public they should remember they are representing OU. However, he said there is currently no specific contract that mascots need to follow.

“I feel that mascots need to represent the university in an appropriate manner,” Hart said.

Underneath the fur is Zach Stevens, graduate student, who said he and OU alumnus Kenny Evans rotate among the women’s and men’s basketball games as Top Daug/Dawg. Evans has been Top Daug since the ‘80s and is now a private entertainer. Stevens is in his sixth year as mascot. Stevens said OU has no requirements about what Top Daug/Dawg can and cannot participate in but the athletic department asks that the performers tell the department where they are going to appear first.

“There’s really not a contract, but they ask us to obtain permission first before we make additional appearances outside games,” Stevens said.

Billy Tubbs, former OU men’s basketball head coach, created Top Daug in the 1980s. After borrowing the OU wrestling team’s mascot, “Underdog,” Tubbs thought the team was not the underdog but the top dog.

Stevens said since then the traditional spelling of “Top Daug” has changed to “Top Dawg.” The mascot wearing the white Oklahoma uniform is still called “Top Daug,” while the mascot wearing the red Oklahoma uniform is “Top Dawg.” This year, “Top Daug” appears in men’s games, and “Top Dawg” appears in women’s games.

“On OU merchandise, Top Daug would have the ‘o’ and the ‘u’ interlocking in its name,” Stevens said. “That is where the spelling came from. Since then, our culture’s lingo has changed ‘Daug’ into ‘Dawg.’ You just can’t tell that from the way the name is printed on the jersey anymore.”

Hart said there are no immediate plans to change mascots, despite there currently being different mascots for basketball, football and softball. He said he would like to see something that would reflect OU well when the time comes.

“We would like to see something that could be part of our history,” Hart said. “Nothing specific, just something unified.”

Until Top Daug/Dawg is retired, Stevens said he will enjoy his time as OU’s mascot.

“It’s been a blast,” Stevens said. “The interaction with the kids and the crowds at the games has been great.”
---
I really have no idea what is going on now, however.

Article Link: http://www.oudaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2004/01/27/4015d6a65ff53?in_archive=1

GottaHavePride
9/12/2004, 10:33 PM
Not to mention that our first mascot, Mex, was a dog. That might've had just a bit to do with it.

And there are slight inaccuracies there. Kenny, while an awesome guy, hasn't actually been Top Daug every year since the 80s. He was here for a while, left, and came back just about 3 or 4 years ago.

I think everyone here already knows TopDawg, right? ;)

OklahomaTrombone
9/12/2004, 11:00 PM
Kenny is a cool guy.

Landthief 1972
9/13/2004, 12:22 AM
I didn't see any new pony mascots at the Houston game.

TopDawg
9/13/2004, 09:39 AM
Not to mention that our first mascot, Mex, was a dog. That might've had just a bit to do with it.

Common misconception. It was really just as simple as the wrestling coach wanted a mascot for the OU/OSU wrestling match and the costume shop (or whatever) had a dog suit and since OU was always the underdog, they figured that should work well. Now, Mex may've had something to do with Under/Top Daug/Dawg sticking around for as long as he did, but, as far as I know, it had nothing to do with the original idea for it.

And there are slight inaccuracies there. Kenny, while an awesome guy, hasn't actually been Top Daug every year since the 80s. He was here for a while, left, and came back just about 3 or 4 years ago.

I think everyone here already knows TopDawg, right? ;)

Would it be an Oklahoma Daily story without the slight inaccuracies? Have you read it this year? There's a correction due to an editor's mistake in almost every issue. One of them read something like this: "In yesterday's story 'Boy Eats Elephant' Short Round was quoted as saying 'You say to stand against the wall! I just do what you say! Not my fault! Not my fault!' and 'I'm very little! You cheat very big!'. However, Strong Round did not say any of that."

There was also a neat letter to the editor from some big wig at Heinz attacking a column (probably a political one) from the day before.

I consider myself lucky that all they did in that story was spell my name wrong and twist my quotes around so that they make no sense.

TopDawg
9/13/2004, 09:40 AM
I didn't see any new pony mascots at the Houston game.

Yeah me neither. The TopDawg/Boomer & Sooner saga continues.

TopDawg
9/13/2004, 01:03 PM
Apparently the President's Office hadn't had a chance to approve the new costume before the game, so maybe they'll debut this week. Or maybe we'll never see them.

bri
9/13/2004, 03:23 PM
What's the hold-up? The nipple shields?

GottaHavePride
9/13/2004, 05:39 PM
Common misconception. It was really just as simple as the wrestling coach wanted a mascot for the OU/OSU wrestling match and the costume shop (or whatever) had a dog suit and since OU was always the underdog, they figured that should work well.

I bow before TopDawg's knowledge. I'm surprised the owners of the UnderDog cartoons never wrote a "cease and desist" letter...

bri
9/13/2004, 09:56 PM
Well, if a grown man is going to dress up like a dog, he should at least know the history that led to his furry predicament. :D

TopDawg
9/13/2004, 10:40 PM
Why are you trying to make me feel old? Grown man? :mack:

OklahomaTrombone
9/13/2004, 10:41 PM
If I was still at OU...I'd want to be Top Daug/Dawg.

Or I guess I'd try to be Boomer or Sooner.

Man I miss Women's Basketball games....

TopDawg
9/13/2004, 10:44 PM
They're going to need more Boomers and Sooners than they have now if they plan on sticking with their current plan (having both of them at every home sporting event).

bri
9/14/2004, 12:26 AM
Why are you trying to make me feel old? Grown man? :mack:
Well, dogs DO age at an accelerated rate...

SeattleOUstudent
9/14/2004, 05:39 PM
That's what I hear from a reliable source. Word is that the AD wants to have only ONE mascot, so Top Daug is out. They are going to replace him with a pair of guys in horse costumes called Boomer and Sooner, like the Shetlands. I kid you not.

:eddie:

Listen, Just because Adrian Peterson thinks he is all that, he cant just demand that we get rid of our mascots on a whim. :eddie:

BigRedJed
9/14/2004, 05:44 PM
Listen, Just because Adrian Peterson thinks he is all that, he cant just demand that we get rid of our mascots on a whim. :eddie:
Copycat! http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=314398&highlight=huge#post314398

You owe me a t-shirt.

TopDawg
9/19/2004, 10:11 PM
OK, well I don't know what the deal is now. This has just gotten wacky.

Norm In Norman
9/20/2004, 09:32 AM
I've heard from a reliable source that the costumes aren't all that bad. One of the past TD's is going to be one of the current BS's ;) and word is that the expectation was for goofy costumes, but they are actually okay.

I hear the new costumes are FABULOUS!

http://members.cox.net/normandothemagnificent/newmascot01.jpg

bri
9/21/2004, 08:54 AM
Guh.

OklahomaTrombone
9/21/2004, 10:05 AM
OK, well I don't know what the deal is now. This has just gotten wacky.

So I guess the "coming out" party keeps on getting pushed back?

bri
9/21/2004, 12:44 PM
So I guess the "coming out" party keeps on getting pushed back?

http://members.cox.net/normandothemagnificent/newmascot01.jpg
Keep pushing it back, people. For the love of God, keep pushing it back...

TopDawg
9/22/2004, 04:07 PM
Latest word is that it still hasn't been approved.

GottaHavePride
9/22/2004, 04:39 PM
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/penguincult/_images/hooray.jpg

Sooner51
9/27/2004, 11:42 AM
Bring back Mex dammit!

FaninAma
9/28/2004, 09:00 PM
I liked Little Red. FSU has a Seminole mascot. We had Little Red, which celebrated our state's native American heritage. Of course, many would say it was not proper to only allow Native American males to be a Native American mascot. Therefore, we need a student who is a hermaphroditic Heinz 57 individual to play the part. Was Top Daug potty trained and neutered?

I'm pretty sure all of the Top Daug's were neutered. I doubt that they were hose broken, though.

OklahomaTrombone
10/12/2004, 07:55 PM
umm....so I guess they said

"poop on it"

?

Rhino
10/12/2004, 09:57 PM
Hallelujah!

TopDawg
10/13/2004, 08:14 AM
Maybe these new mascots have gone the way of the Sooner Shockwave.

badger
10/21/2004, 11:03 PM
So what's the word on the mascots? Are they gonna be at baseline bash?

Word on paper: Need I say that most of the editing mistakes are due to EDITOR's errors, when you apparently read the paper's corrections? Rest assured, when the story left the reporter's hands, it did not look like how it was published.

GottaHavePride
10/21/2004, 11:32 PM
Maybe so, but if the editors are that ****ing retarded, who the hell let them be editors in the first place?

TopDawg
10/22/2004, 08:56 AM
Believe me, I know that stories change a lot between the reporters' hands and the paper. But, like GHP said, they should be changes for the better.

At any rate, they still don't know what the deal is with the mascots. It might be that TD isn't dead after all.

badger
10/22/2004, 02:07 PM
no comment on the paper (top dawg, check PM)

i just wanna know what's up. The kids love top dawg. Who gives a bleepity blank what the rest think, because the mascot's there for the kids, or to kill the stanford tree... hell, that thing needs a breathalizer before stadium entry every game... yes, i'm bitter over the women's tourney loss. MEAH!

PS: I love top dawg, as does the rest of Sooner Showmen. If I get word that they're trying to bury ya, my next weird sign will read "SAVE TOP DAWG!"

Jimminy Crimson
10/22/2004, 04:23 PM
Maybe they will be unveiled at the Baseline Bash tonight? :confused:

TopDawg
10/22/2004, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't count on it. But you've seen how accurate my other "predictions" in this thread have been.

Sooner24
10/25/2004, 07:22 AM
So was TD at the Baseline Bash?

suncoastsooner7
11/5/2004, 08:40 AM
Maybe we can get a few thousand new mascots dressed as fans and plant them randomly throughout the LNC in various chairs so that Kelvin's team will finally get some of the respect and recognition it deserves...

the_ouskull

Now theres a concept. Maybe then we could atleast look like we have fans when the cameras pan from end of the court to the other.

TopDawg
11/5/2004, 09:46 AM
If only every game was an NIT game.

splum
11/12/2004, 12:02 PM
http://www.tvdance.com/shop/halloween-costumes/ideas/mascot/2-person-horse/18080.jpg

Come on, give it a chance. Look how cute this one is. Just need a little Rufnek costume on that guy.

GottaHavePride
11/12/2004, 04:44 PM
http://www.tvdance.com/shop/halloween-costumes/ideas/mascot/2-person-horse/18080.jpg

Come on, give it a chance. Look how cute this one is. Just need a little Rufnek costume on that guy.
http://www.chud.com/graphics3/troop3.jpg

splum
11/12/2004, 05:18 PM
http://www.chud.com/graphics3/troop3.jpg
Is that Baylor's mascot? :D

TopDawg
11/17/2004, 05:59 PM
Latest word:

There's been a bit of an uproar that TD hasn't been at the basketball games so they're bringing TD back at least for this season. The horses are on hold.

The Original "soonerjeff"
11/23/2004, 03:00 AM
Top Dawg lives!!!

It/he/she was at the women's game Sunday afternoon! Different (shorter) person than the girl who did it last year (I hear she's doing men's TD now), but just as fun. I was just happy to see TD on the court. Yay for no horses :texan: .

TopDawg
7/12/2005, 05:06 PM
My sources say that the horses will be started this year.

But you've seen how reliable those sources are.

The_Red_Patriot
7/13/2005, 12:55 PM
As ridiculous as having a giant dog in the first place? By the way, the avatar limit is back to 80 x 80.

LMFAO!!!! hahahahhaa

Phil
8/28/2005, 11:58 AM
My sources say that the horses will be started this year.

But you've seen how reliable those sources are.

http://sooner.nmn.speedera.net/pics16/400/YI/YIYJLFODARANXIX.20050827002232.jpg

Pretty reliable, I'd say.

King Crimson
8/28/2005, 02:30 PM
i think i'm gonna puke.

badger
8/28/2005, 06:30 PM
the verdict is out til the first home game. they BETTER not pop outta the schooner again.

Pricetag
8/29/2005, 02:51 PM
Ewww. Joe C. needs to look into the concept of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

TopDawg
8/29/2005, 03:36 PM
Let's hear it for my sources!

By the way...I'm pretty sure this wasn't a Joe C. decision. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't a Boren decision. I mean, both of them were surely in on it, but I don't think either one of them was the one who thought "ya know what, we need a new mascot."

PrideTrombone
8/29/2005, 03:39 PM
Let's hear it for my sources!

By the way...I'm pretty sure this wasn't a Joe C. decision. I'm also pretty sure it wasn't a Boren decision. I mean, both of them were surely in on it, but I don't think either one of them was the one who thought "ya know what, we need a new mascot."

Maybe, but neither one came out and said "You know what, we DON'T need a new mascot."

Ardmore_Sooner
8/29/2005, 03:48 PM
TopDawg are you gonna change your name to GayHorse? :D

TopDawg
8/29/2005, 04:11 PM
Maybe, but neither one came out and said "You know what, we DON'T need a new mascot."

Good point.

But, as far as they knew, it was what the students wanted. I'm about 90% sure this was a student initiative, so maybe they thought it would be met with widespread approval. And, in the grand scheme of things, this mascot change has not been met with widespread disapproval, but rather widespread "not caring." (Based on my experience as TD, I'd be surprised if half of the OU students even knew Top Dawg existed.) In fact, I'm pretty sure that most of the students who originally started this initiative have since moved on and, in fact, probably no longer care themselves.

And then there's this: new mascot = new merchandising = new $$.

soonervegas
9/6/2005, 09:35 PM
While we are throwing around equal signs, all I know is:

New Mascots = 0-1