PDA

View Full Version : How Oklahoma will replace Sterling Shepard's production at wide receiver

Jacie
3/3/2016, 04:24 PM
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/oklahomasooners/2016/03/03/oklahoma-will-replace-sterling-shepards-production-wide-receiver

Dede Westbrook, senior
The first name that jumps out is Westbrook. He naturally fits in as the next No. 1 receiver, being Oklahoma's second-leading receiver in 2015. Westbrook possesses a lot of speed and craftiness. He'll be a problem for a lot of corners in the Big 12 if he continues to develop his route-running, and his confidence will only build as players start to look to him as a senior leader. Westbrook has plenty of talent to become OU's top receiving threat with one full year under his belt in Norman, Okla.

Jarvis Baxter, senior
Baxter was a late addition to Oklahoma's 2015 roster, but he immediately found his way on to the field. He's a quick, shifty receiver with a lot of athleticism to help him compete in the Big 12. Ball control will be very important to his development. Baxter could be a much more serious threat at receiver in 2016. Baxter has a lot to prove, but he can be used in a variety of ways and could develop into something special with the way he stepped on to campus and immediately found playing time.

Geno Lewis, senior
The Penn State graduate transfer will be immediately eligible for Oklahoma. Telling by his tape and production at Penn State, Lewis has all the tools to be a big-time FBS receiver. He was underutilized in his final season at Penn State, but in Lincoln Riley's offense, everyone gets a piece of the pie. And Lewis could be in line to go up and make some big grabs, as he did a lot at his old school. Learning Riley's system shouldn't be difficult to pick up, and he definitely has the potential to make the same impact as Justin Brown had in 2012 as a one-year transfer.

Mark Andrews, sophomore
Yes, Andrews is a tight end. But he was almost automatic for a touchdown whenever Mayfield found him in open field. Andrews has the build of a tight end, but he moves like a receiver. His 6-foot-5 frame makes him difficult to bring down, and he's got the legs to break away for scores. Expect Mayfield to look for Andrews a lot more than just in goal line situations. Riley could get really creative with how he utilizes the third-year sophomore.

John Humphrey, freshman
Shepard has some weight on Humphrey, but the freshman has a lot of potential to become an impact player in 2016. He redshirted in 2015, but was named OU's offensive scout team player of the year. He mimicked some of the best Big 12 receivers on OU's scout team, but opponents might be trying to replicate his speed and talent if he can find a place in OU's rotation. Oklahoma typically has been fortunate to find a star-in-the-making every graduating cycle, and Humphrey could reap the benefits of multiple receiving roles up for grabs.

Mazeppa
3/5/2016, 10:27 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/2v8legk.jpg

Mookie91
3/6/2016, 12:59 PM
They won't

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2016, 03:04 PM
They won't

Agreed - the dynamics of the team will just be different. If Mayfield steps up his level of play, there will be plenty of passing yards registered. BM is quite inexperienced for a returning starter listed as a Senior. But his first year was with a different team and his second year was mostly running scout team in a new (to him) program. He didn't even get the starters snaps last spring and fall until the final 2 weeks before the season began. I expect the type of improvement one would normally sees going from Soph->Junior which is a usually a big step. As effective as he was last year, he has plenty of room to improve - biggest areas would be cut down on sacks and protect himself more often. I think it will be a fun season.

Mookie91
3/6/2016, 07:55 PM
Agreed - the dynamics of the team will just be different. If Mayfield steps up his level of play, there will be plenty of passing yards registered. BM is quite inexperienced for a returning starter listed as a Senior. But his first year was with a different team and his second year was mostly running scout team in a new (to him) program. He didn't even get the starters snaps last spring and fall until the final 2 weeks before the season began. I expect the type of improvement one would normally sees going from Soph->Junior which is a usually a big step. As effective as he was last year, he has plenty of room to improve - biggest areas would be cut down on sacks and protect himself more often. I think it will be a fun season.

Biggest problem with the Sooners under Bob Stoops is the Mike Tyson syndrome. Tyson famously said, "everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth". For me the Sooners, and many here won't like this, play like a bunch of bullies. When they are firing on all cylinders there isn't a team in the country that can hang with them. When they get "punched in the mouth" they are on the mat wearily looking for their mouthpiece.

Westbrook is talented but fumbles. Baxter is solid but is penalty prone. Lewis is an unknown. Andrews could be very good. The question is can this coaching staff finally "Belichick" this team and get rid of the swag and replace it with a chip.

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2016, 09:17 PM
Biggest problem with the Sooners under Bob Stoops is the Mike Tyson syndrome. Tyson famously said, "everyone has a plan 'til they get punched in the mouth". For me the Sooners, and many here won't like this, play like a bunch of bullies. When they are firing on all cylinders there isn't a team in the country that can hang with them. When they get "punched in the mouth" they are on the mat wearily looking for their mouthpiece.

I don't see what this has to do with the WR position. Also, both the Vols and BU both punched back last year and the Sooners did not fold - not even close. They didn't fold against the horns either and fought to the end - they just had a bad game. Clemson was just a better, more talented team and the outcome had nothing to do with swag vs. chip. I would agree with you on some previous squads, but not last years. I expect that trend to continue this year as I think that resilience came from Mayfield/Riley.

Mookie91
3/6/2016, 10:19 PM
I don't see what this has to do with the WR position. Also, both the Vols and BU both punched back last year and the Sooners did not fold - not even close. They didn't fold against the horns either and fought to the end - they just had a bad game. Clemson was just a better, more talented team and the outcome had nothing to do with swag vs. chip. I would agree with you on some previous squads, but not last years. I expect that trend to continue this year as I think that resilience came from Mayfield/Riley.

Just an overall rant about the state of the coaching which I think pertains to the development of players and their success and I did post specifically about WRs.

Just think Tennessee and Texas were no good, Baylor was on it's 3rd string QB and TCU was an extra point away from rallying with a 3rd string QB. Last year was smoke and mirrors. The last 10 years OU is 5-6 in Bowl games with 4 of those losses being by 20+ pts and another was the Boise State debacle. While talent ebs and flows I don't think the terrible games this team has against quality opponents on neutral sites is a direct result of lesser talent. Again my opinion but I'm not overly optimistic about the upcoming season. I think OU has a solid chance of winning the Big 12 but there are many players that will need to step in and step up, including the WRs.

Widescreen
3/6/2016, 11:23 PM
Just an overall rant about the state of the coaching which I think pertains to the development of players and their success and I did post specifically about WRs.

Just think Tennessee and Texas were no good, Baylor was on it's 3rd string QB and TCU was an extra point away from rallying with a 3rd string QB. Last year was smoke and mirrors.
I'm glad you admitted that was your opinion because that's remarkably insulting to the players who have worked tremendously hard and made some fantastic plays to get us to the playoffs last year.

BoulderSooner79
3/6/2016, 11:55 PM

Just think Tennessee and Texas were no good, Baylor was on it's 3rd string QB and TCU was an extra point away from rallying with a 3rd string QB. Last year was smoke and mirrors. The last 10 years OU is 5-6 in Bowl games with 4 of those losses being by 20+ pts and another was the Boise State debacle. While talent ebs and flows I don't think the terrible games this team has against quality opponents on neutral sites is a direct result of lesser talent. Again my opinion but I'm not overly optimistic about the upcoming season. I think OU has a solid chance of winning the Big 12 but there are many players that will need to step in and step up, including the WRs.

I'm just talking about last year - not ranting about the past. You can call it smoke and mirrors if you want, but I saw it differently. It was a team without elite level talent (at least not depth of talent) that overachieved via attitude and resilience. As a fan, that's at the top of my list of what I want to see in a team. Texas was not a good team, but you are wrong about the Vols. And every team needed a bit of smoke and mirrors to get into the CFPs. Bama needed a wild lateral on 4th and effin' 25 in OT by Arkie to stop Ole Miss from taking the SEC west. MSU needed the blocked punt return play of the year. Clemson less so, but they had a few scrapes too. Just he nature of the game. Last year may have been a fluke, but I expect another resilient squad this season too.

badger
3/7/2016, 01:14 PM
It is time for OU to have a tight end that female students can get excited about again.

How could not see Joe Jon Finley and want to draw a heart around him?
https://ct.yimg.com/mr//IMAGES/Player/video/FINNEYJOEJON150_5-8.JPG

Guys, I know you were doing the same to Trent Smith
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/14/3b/b1/143bb14bafc469c060145e4a07967825.jpg

It's time for a new generation of Sooners to experience what we got to in the early to mid aughts.