2/17/2016, 09:06 PM
Lets go!!

JLEW1818
2/17/2016, 10:55 PM
Cousins remains to be a terrible college basketball player

JLEW1818
2/17/2016, 10:57 PM
Our only weaknesses

We away too many rebounds that we should get.
Cousins is a major liability

JLEW1818
2/17/2016, 10:58 PM
****ing terrible
We can't rebound
****ing terrible

Pricetag
2/17/2016, 11:03 PM
OU just refused to win. Huge choke.

Blue
2/17/2016, 11:41 PM
Ehhh, all that matters is the tourney. Barring a huge collapse we are a 3 maybe a 2 and hopefully we have figured it out by then.

Live by the 3 die by the 3. Wish coach could come up with some adjustments to people swarming Buddy and the 3 line.

Blue
2/17/2016, 11:43 PM
Spangler needs to sit for a long while. The new guys will get experience and maybe he can dislodge his head from his ***. Lattin needs to step up as well. We're getting pushed around by these teams.

Eielson
2/18/2016, 12:21 AM
Cousins remains to be a terrible college basketball player

That's an impressively stupid statement even by your standards.

tooslow
2/18/2016, 08:39 AM
Hopefully we heat up by tourney time. We currently look like a 2 win team, 3 at best. :(

Boomer.....
2/18/2016, 09:34 AM
Spangler was brutal offensively.

Once again, we were off offensively. I can understand a game or two, but it's been many in a row.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/18/2016, 09:47 AM
Hopefully we heat up by tourney time. We currently look like a 2 win team, 3 at best. :(

Man it seems like I only post on here when things aren't going well. I guess when we are winning I don't have much to add...

With the exception of Woodard I didn't see any of our guys mixing it up that much out there. Some nights the shots will fall and some nights they don't but if you are the better team and you get the loose balls and rebounds you are going to win.

As good as Buddy is I don't think you should ride him until late in the game. Right now the team is losing because we are getting little to no production from Spangler, Lattin and the bench. Also I don't care how good of a shooting team you are if one team is getting significantly easier shots than you are you are not going to jump shoot your way to a lot of wins. We missed a decent amount of open looks so yeah if we shot better we still win. I am going to tip my cap to the Sand Aggies in that they are clearly playing much better basketball of late. Consecutive wins over ISU,@Bay and OU and they should be in the NCAA tourney.

Saturday the team needs to make a concerted effort early in the game to commit to getting the ball to the basket, get Spangler and Lattin involved. Spangler might be worn down, might just be in a slump but I know he can play because at times the last 3 years he has been a beast. Lattin isn't much of an offensive presence by get him involved early. When it is the second half and it is time for Buddy to take over, more shots will be there.

On the defensive end. Too many offensive rebounds and too many lay-ups. We are at our best when good defense sets up 4-5 easy baskets.

I'm somewhere between pissed and extremely disappointed that we aren't even going to compete for the conference title when 2 weeks ago it was ours to lose...and we did. KU is going to get their 50th conference title in row or whatever it is now and we are looking at finishing somewhere between 2nd and 6th in the conference and the #1 seed barring us winning out from here is probably gone. I think expectations for this team was huge. I still think a #2 or #3 NCAA seed is very doable and we probably get the first 2 games in OKC so we should be a Sweet 16 team but until we decide to outwork the other teams I think Sweet 16 is about what we get. I still think the potential is still there to win 6 games in the tourney if we get back to where we were a month ago.

Pricetag
2/18/2016, 11:08 AM
I think they need to dial back the whole "in the gym eight hours early" thing. They seem to be too tightly wound, to be trying too hard. They're wearing themselves out.

Soonerjeepman
2/18/2016, 11:11 AM
When Lattin was the first guy to shoot the ball with about 5 sec, either the first or second possession left and air balled a 8 ft baseline jumper I knew we were in trouble.

He should NEVER be the first or last option.

Soonerjeepman
2/18/2016, 11:14 AM
our posts are who they are. Teams have figured out how to really pressure the guards..wearing them out, tired legs effects jump shooters.

Can OU win the next 5? sure...but the way we are playing and the way those guys are playing...I see 2 or 3 wins. That puts OU at 10-8 or 11-7 at best. Prob 3 seed...

Yeah, had it all there...ah well...Hopefully a run in March.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/18/2016, 01:40 PM
When Lattin was the first guy to shoot the ball with about 5 sec, either the first or second possession left and air balled a 8 ft baseline jumper I knew we were in trouble.

He should NEVER be the first or last option.

I disagree...sort of. Lattin taking jump shots is not going to be a good formula for winning but I think early in the game running a set play, alley oop, etc. He needs to be taking most if not all of his shots within about 5 feet of the basket. Lattin had 10 and 14 with 6 blocks in Allen Fieldhouse and followed it up with 10 and 10 vs KSU. We need to drive and dish and trade those 8' baseline jumpshots with some dunks.

Early in the second half the offense started running though Spangler and we had some success doing it.

It isn't a huge adjustment but I think the first 4-8 minutes of the game you have a concerted effort to get the ball inside, drive to the basket, spread the ball around. Buddy will get his shots without spending 40 minutes trying to run off screens to shoot contested 3's like we seem to be doing from the opening tip. Spangler and Lattin combined for 5 points. Between the 2 of them they average about 15 this year. I realize Spangler hasn't made a 3-point shot in about 6 games but he can get points inside as well.

Bottom line I'm thinking get everyone involved early, ride Buddy late.

....and this team needs to fight for loose balls a hell of a lot harder than they have been lately.

badger
2/18/2016, 02:51 PM
Dammit, I'm gonna have to post a tumbleweed in the meltdown thread soon... or just venture off to a tarheel board :P

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/19/2016, 10:50 AM
Dammit, I'm gonna have to post a tumbleweed in the meltdown thread soon... or just venture off to a tarheel board :P

If you check the basketball threads on one of the other OU sites you would think we are on par with the Missouri Tigers basketball program right now. I'm down right now because this team's play until the last 3 weeks had our expectations through the roof. if you asked me in preseason if I would take 20-5 and #4 RPI in the country at this point of the year I would have said HELL YES.

I want so very much for OU to win the NC at least once. I'm biased but I think OU is probably the best college basketball program not to win a NC and we are due to win one.

hawaii 5-0
2/19/2016, 12:23 PM
I'm tired of other teams' players having their 'season best' performance against the Sooners.

We should be making them look silly. We're not. Alas.

5-0

badger
2/19/2016, 01:54 PM
if you asked me in preseason if I would take 20-5 and #4 RPI in the country at this point of the year I would have said HELL YES.
I've fallen in love with this team like I used to every year with the WBB team. They've played together so long, we've watched them improve every year in so many different ways... mostly the fact that everyone has a 3-point-shot including Spangles... but like 5-0 said...

I'm tired of other teams' players having their 'season best' performance against the Sooners

Time to crush other teams' hopes and dreams again now that we're not projected as a 1-seed anymore. I would love for a team other than KU to win the Big 12, but I will take an OU win in the Big 12 tournament instead (not a singular win, mind you, but the whole effing show).

It seems like whenever I hear about OSU alums in the NBA (and I say alums knowing full well that perhaps none of them hold a degree, but yknow what I mean) it's always defense this defense that. I hope that OU also has a sizeable (read: more than BG) contingent in the NBA in the coming years, and if Lon Kruger stays around longer than past stops suggest he will, then I'm optimistic... because player development at OU is amazing under him.

At the same time, it's also a reflection of the players themselves, not just the program, SO DAMITOL I WANT THIS TEAM THIS YEAR TO WIN WIN WIN WIN BEFORE THEY HAVE TO GO GO GO.