PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo - Clemson DE Shaq Lawson says there is 'very good chance' he plays (Dr. Saturda

Jenni Carlson
1/9/2016, 12:30 PM
Clemson All-American defensive end Shaq Lawson is optimistic he’ll play in Monday’s College Football Playoff National Championship against Alabama, but it’s not a sure thing. Lawson suffered a sprained MCL in his left knee in the Tigers’ CFP semifinal win over Oklahoma on Dec. 31. Despite the injury, he told reporters Saturday that there is a “very good chance” he plays against the Crimson Tide. “I’m just taking it a day at a time trying to get my knee ready while I’m down here for the game,” Lawson said. "Just trying to get it stronger before I go out there and play." . @Shaq_Lawson90 : "I'm getting better every day...it's a very good chance I'll play." #NationalChampionship pic.twitter.com/fMyUToJvZN — Evan Doherty (@YSportsEvan) January 9, 2016 Lawson was injured in the first quarter of the game against Oklahoma. He came off the field during Oklahoma’s first drive, but returned for the second. However, after registering a third down sack of Sooners’ quarterback Baker Mayfield on OU’s second drive, Lawson again left the field and did not return. Lawson, who leads the country with 23.5 tackles for loss, said the injury is quite painful. “Oh yeah, it hurts right now. I don’t feel no weakness. I can’t really tell right now until I start moving on the field,” Lawson said. Shaq Lawson not ready to say he's going to play Monday. Said his pain level is an 8 on a 1-10 scale. pic.twitter.com/bGhKeaeHf3 — Dr. Saturday (@YahooDrSaturday) January 9, 2016 Lawson said he has been doing his best to get strength back in his knee and is receiving treatment twice a day for two hours a day. Lateral movement has been an issue. “I’m getting better each day on movement,” Lawson said. “Just continuing to work on that and get it back where I was at.” Lawson was limited in practice on Thursday before the team made the trip to Arizona. He says he’s preparing as if he will play, but is not sure who will make the final decision on his status. “I’ve been preparing myself to play. I’ve been preparing myself like I’m on the field every day,” Lawson said. “When I’m not out there with those guys I’m still going through my head like I’m playing. Just keep studying the opponent.” Graham Watson contributed to this post. For more Clemson news, visit TigerIllustrated.com . - - - - - - - Sam Cooper is a contributor for the Yahoo Sports blogs. Have a tip? Email him or follow him on Twitter! Follow @SamDCooper

More... (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/sports/rss/ncaaf/SIG=14381ud3d/*http%3A//rivals.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/clemson-de-shaq-lawson-says-there-is--very-good-chance--he-plays-164810227.html)