PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone really think Stoops...

ObiKaTony
1/8/2016, 12:00 PM
Can win another national title? 0-5 in final nat'l games, scored less than 19 points in every game, and has been dominated twice. Next year will be his last and best chance to do so. If he doesn't, I'll be the first to say its time to go...

And for all the morons who say 'who else you going to get' i encourage you to stand by that line, and use when your boss asks you why you are underperforming relative to the position and salary. This is my 2016 statement, this is his last chance. 16 years is too long for a coach anyway.

CincySooner
1/8/2016, 12:28 PM
Can win another national title?

I don't know... but, as a fan, aren't you willing to find out?

winout
1/8/2016, 12:31 PM
He seems willing to make changes so I'm going to say yes he can win another. Puts a ton of guys in the NFL as well.

badger
1/8/2016, 12:37 PM
I agree that OU will always find a good coach in football... any sport really... thanks to good leadership from Joe and David. Other programs (like Nebraska) might have thought the same thing in the past, but for different, less plausible reasons ("Because we're Nebraska!").

If there's cause for concern, it's that football attendance is down nationwide, especially in the student sections, and in this region of the country, donors/boosters are requesting rain checks on donation pledges due to a tanking oil and energy industry.

Alas, I don't think we should can Bob Stoops just because he gets us to big bowl games only to lose upon arrival. Winning the conference and being in the national title picture on an semi-annual basis should count for something, even at a program like OU.

Pride1Mom
1/8/2016, 12:37 PM
Can win another national title? 0-5 in final nat'l games, scored less than 19 points in every game, and has been dominated twice. Next year will be his last and best chance to do so. If he doesn't, I'll be the first to say its time to go...

And for all the morons who say 'who else you going to get' i encourage you to stand by that line, and use when your boss asks you why you are underperforming relative to the position and salary. This is my 2016 statement, this is his last chance. 16 years is too long for a coach anyway.

If you had a job for 16 years, would you want someone to tell you it was time to go? The National Championship is VERY difficult to get there, too many variables: injuries, other teams win loss records, coaches leaving, players leaving......

ObiKaTony
1/8/2016, 01:11 PM
If you had a job for 16 years, would you want someone to tell you it was time to go? The National Championship is VERY difficult to get there, too many variables: injuries, other teams win loss records, coaches leaving, players leaving......

If my employees stated goal was winning national titles which I paid him/her to do substantially; and he didn't do it for 16 years, then yes, I would let him go. 16 years at a program is a very long time. This year is it for me. Put up or shut up- I personally think we will get killed in the playoffs again making 0-6 for 17 years.

badger
1/8/2016, 01:58 PM
Forgive me for my lowered expectations, but I don't think anyone realistically says that they are paying college football coaches for national titles. I think our $5 million or so annually gets OU to contend for the conference and national titles annually. Coaches can't control injuries and have limited control on national media, but it seems like we have a coaching staff in place leading OU in the right direction.

So, we lost the second half to Clemp. Clemp is probably a few days away from being the national champ. Not too shabby of a season.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/8/2016, 02:02 PM

I'm not going to predict he will but I am certain he can.

Hell Tom Osborne coached 22 seasons, won most of his games but lost bowl games in his last 7 years. Nebraska didn't run him off. Then he won 3 titles in the next 4 years. I'm sure after 22 years a lot of Husker fans wondered if Tom could win a NC.

I don't think we were THAT far away this year. O-line needs to be more physical. I think that is being addressed. I think the D-line hasn't had the impact players in recent seasons. Need a McCoy, Harris, Dvoracek type impact linemen. Land a player like that with solid players around him and this we will be winning a NC. If your answer is Stoops CAN'T do that again then maybe it doesn't happen.

ddub0224
1/8/2016, 02:28 PM

Explain your 0-5 math please. By my calculations Stoops is 1-3 in national title games.

oudanny
1/8/2016, 02:44 PM
Yes, I think he can. It's not exactly an easy thing to do. A lot has to fall just right.

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2016, 02:59 PM
Given that OU won the conference this year and made the CFP, Stoops has no doubt added to his support reserves. We will be favored to win the conference again next season by most analysts or at least co-favored with Baylor. If the team meets those expectations, Stoops can probably pick his own retirement date (regardless of what the fans think).

badger
1/8/2016, 04:59 PM
Explain your 0-5 math please
He's lost five BCS/title games before this most recent one???

By season:
L: 2003 Sugar
L: 2004 Orange
L: 2006 Fiesta
L: 2007 Fiesta
L: 2008 Orange

There you go, 0-5. Please ignore the 2000 and 2015 seasons and those years he won BCS bowls that weren't the nat'l title game :P

achiro
1/8/2016, 06:00 PM
The irony here is that you are calling other people morons. Seriously, why wait a year, do us all a favor and GTFO! I hear that catholic school likes bandwagoneers.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/8/2016, 07:50 PM
Of course a Stoops team can win another title. We would be foolish to run him off.

ObiKaTony
1/8/2016, 08:02 PM
The irony here is that you are calling other people morons. Seriously, why wait a year, do us all a favor and GTFO! I hear that catholic school likes bandwagoneers.

Moron is most certainly applicable to you. I'm a bandwagon fan? Lol. You have no idea how deep my sooner roots go, and just to give you a small example an 85 national chip ship ring is sitting at my grandmothers house so please, just stop.

Based off his bowl and national championship record and the blowouts that have ensued, it's not 'bandwagon' to say this isn't acceptable. You also have to consider the human nature effect, 16/17 years at one program or anywhere is a very long time and anyone would get complacent, that's a fact. One of his first interviews he gave as coach in 99 he said 'it's been 15 for OU to be a national champion, that's too long...' So even by his own standard, he has failed.

Stoops has been and is a good coach, but 'good' at certain places just isn't good enough. **** off on the bandwagon fan, $hit gets old.

BoulderSooner79
1/8/2016, 08:18 PM
If my employees stated goal was winning national titles which I paid him/her to do substantially; and he didn't do it for 16 years, then yes, I would let him go. 16 years at a program is a very long time. This year is it for me. Put up or shut up- I personally think we will get killed in the playoffs again making 0-6 for 17 years.

I seriously doubt that winning the NC is a requirement in Stoops contract - I'm sure it has some nice incentives if he does. The requirement is that the powers that be (JoeC, Boren, regents, large donors) think he is doing a good enough job to continue. I could easily see Bob staying indefinitely w/o winning another NC.

olevetonahill
1/8/2016, 08:31 PM
Yes
All others are ****ing idiots!

olevetonahill
1/8/2016, 08:33 PM
Moron is most certainly applicable to you. I'm a bandwagon fan? Lol. You have no idea how deep my sooner roots go, and just to give you a small example
an 85 national chip ship ring is sitting at my grandmothers house so please, just stop.

Based off his bowl and national championship record and the blowouts that have ensued, it's not 'bandwagon' to say this isn't acceptable. You also have to consider the human nature effect, 16/17 years at one program or anywhere is a very long time and anyone would get complacent, that's a fact. One of his first interviews he gave as coach in 99 he said 'it's been 15 for OU to be a national champion, that's too long...' So even by his own standard, he has failed.

Stoops has been and is a good coach, but 'good' at certain places just isn't good enough. **** off on the bandwagon fan, $hit gets old.

What Pawn shop she buy it from?

swardboy
1/8/2016, 08:54 PM
:pop:

olevetonahill
1/8/2016, 09:07 PM
:pop:

Ditto also too!

Mazeppa
1/8/2016, 10:08 PM
Moron is most certainly applicable to you. I'm a bandwagon fan? Lol. You have no idea how deep my sooner roots go, and just to give you a small example an 85 national chip ship ring is sitting at my grandmothers house so please, just stop.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2n81ret.jpg

ObiKaTony
1/8/2016, 10:16 PM
What Pawn shop she buy it from?

Jelous much? Lol

Grandpa was a big 8 ref, later he owned a jewelry store and helped design the 85 ring due to his relationship with Switzer over the years. Daddy also wrestled for OU, and 3rd generation students 2 of which are dental students.

Now, I really don't give a damn what you guys think, but back to the point.

It's not out bounds to believe stoops needs to win a title inside of 17 years in order to justify him being here, this is Oklahoma-

Mazeppa
1/8/2016, 10:21 PM
How many coaches have won multiple national championships in the last 17 years?

ObiKaTony
1/8/2016, 10:31 PM
How many have won 3 national titles each in 17 years and most with same program?

Urban Meyer (3)
Barry Switzer (3)
Bud W (3)
Nick saban (4)
Bernie beirnab (3)
Frank Lehey (4)
John McKay (3)

and there 15 more with 2 I don't feel
Like tying

Mazeppa
1/8/2016, 10:42 PM
No in the LAST 17 years, college football has changed a lot in the last 20 years or so, it's a lot harder to win consistantly.
according to this only two coaches have won more than 1 national championship in THE LAST 17 YEARS.

http://i66.tinypic.com/8zpw5z.jpg

Mazeppa
1/8/2016, 10:45 PM
You think you could get one of these guys? Nobody else is doing any better.

ObiKaTony
1/8/2016, 11:31 PM
You think you could? So why should you say I'm wrong? I'm going by bobs own standard in 99 boys and girls.

Mazeppa
1/8/2016, 11:36 PM
You think you could? So why should you say I'm wrong? I'm going by bobs own standard in 99 boys and girls.

No Entiendo!

1/9/2016, 03:19 AM
Troll gonna troll.

ObiKaTony
1/9/2016, 11:46 AM
Troll gonna troll.

Which troll is worse, the pot or kettle. This a legitimate thread based off facts spanning over a 17 year period.

mainline13
1/9/2016, 11:53 AM

Ok, so if Bob just isn't good enough, what are you, personally, going to do if he doesn't come through next year?

One other question - are you Tony Casillas? He's been somewhat moronic lately, too; I just thought there might be a resemblance.

SoonerForLife92
1/9/2016, 12:36 PM
Which troll is worse, the pot or kettle. This a legitimate thread based off facts spanning over a 17 year period.

Based off facts lol. Like the "fact" you threw out that stoops is 0-5 in national championship games? And you have the audacity to call others morons.

champions77
1/9/2016, 12:53 PM
Bob had a nice rebound, albeit some help with a few injuries around the conference to key players, but we're conference champions, no easy task. He has made some really good hires of staff recently, unlike for many years staying with average coaches. Took him 13 years to fire his first which is hard to believe really.

Recruiting will be OU's ticket back, I can't tell you the last time OU had a top 5 or even 10 class. That has to change for us to ever be where we want to be.

olevetonahill
1/9/2016, 01:08 PM
Jelous much? Lol

Grandpa was a big 8 ref, later he owned a jewelry store and helped design the 85 ring due to his relationship with Switzer over the years. Daddy also wrestled for OU, and 3rd generation students 2 of which are dental students.

Now, I really don't give a damn what you guys think, but back to the point.

It's not out bounds to believe stoops needs to win a title inside of 17 years in order to justify him being here, this is Oklahoma-

Why would i be jealous?
You dont seem to be the one who did much of anything.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/9/2016, 02:34 PM
He's lost five BCS/title games before this most recent one???

By season:
L: 2003 Sugar
L: 2004 Orange
L: 2006 Fiesta
L: 2007 Fiesta
L: 2008 Orange

There you go, 0-5. Please ignore the 2000 and 2015 seasons and those years he won BCS bowls that weren't the nat'l title game :P

Lost to LSU 2003 season, NC game played in 2004
Lost to USC 2004 season, NC game played in 2005
Lost to Florida 2008 season, NC game played in 2009

So Stoops has lost 3 NC games ...... how many coaches have taken their teams to 4 NC games? I think the coach who gets there and loses did a better job then the coaches who watched the game, but unfortunately the disappointment of the losses is what everyone wants to focus on. If we want to criticize I guess its fair to say that there were some ugly bowl losses in the bunch USC-NC, West Virginia, A&M, Clemson last year, and only one signature win outside of the National Championship - that being 2013 over heavily favored/highly ranked Alabama

So Stoops has been to 17 or 18 Bowl games and won half/lost half. I still say getting there, win or lose, distinguishes you from your peers more so than just focus on the losses. How many coaches havent been to a bowl every year for that last 16 or 17?

There are plenty of great coaches with plenty of bowl losses on their records - it might surprise some to check the records of Saban and Bobby Bowden to name a couple. The only coach I know who has played in plenty of high profile games and won nearly all of them is Urban Meyer.

SoonerStormchaser
1/9/2016, 03:12 PM
I've thought this since the UF game in 2009...we won't win another NC as long as Stoops is here. But, at this point, I could care less.

ObiKaTony
1/9/2016, 03:30 PM
I've thought this since the UF game in 2009...we won't win another NC as long as Stoops is here. But, at this point, I could care less.

So if that's ok with everyone here (and most fans agree with this) then stoops is your coach- that's my only point. But somehow another it's almost politically incorrect to point out the fact stoops isn't going to win a championship...boomer I guess

Soonerjeepman
1/9/2016, 03:37 PM
Not happy OU hasn't won one since 2000, semi-ok with the fact they've played in 3 others and got the playoffs this year. Life is short, yeah it sucks to be 2nd fiddle to bama..and maybe a few others, but the reality is, #1 OU is till good. Not too many teams that can claim OU's past. Yes, bama can..so what. #2 there isn't a dang thing ANYONE can do about it. The brass at OU isn't going to fire Bob. There is NO WAY 85K fans are going to stay home.

I just enjoy the games, win's MUCH MORE THAN LOSSES, and yes it takes a day or 2 to realize it's be ok.

BOOMER.

ObiKaTony
1/9/2016, 03:57 PM
Based off facts lol. Like the "fact" you threw out that stoops is 0-5 in national championship games? And you have the audacity to call others morons.

Audacity! The new word of the month I guess

Lsu
USC (blow out)
Uf
Clemson (elimination game) (not close)
0-4

I had the intent to change but thought to myself screw it since we have got our *** kicked in so many bowl games, granted we have won some too.

SoonerForLife92
1/9/2016, 04:07 PM
Audacity! The new word of the month I guess

Lsu
USC (blow out)
Uf
Clemson (elimination game) (not close)
0-4

I had the intent to change but thought to myself screw it since we have got our *** kicked in so many bowl games, granted we have won some too.

I still count 4 national championship games in which he is 1-3. Not great, but it makes you look ridiculous to throw out stats that aren't even right and then claim your argument is based on facts.

ObiKaTony
1/9/2016, 04:11 PM
I still count 4 national championship games in which he is 1-3. Not great, but it makes you look ridiculous to throw out stats that aren't even right and then claim your argument is based on facts.

He's 1-5 (elimination games not count?) And to point out a simple mistake that doesn't undercut the point:

It's been 16/17 years since we've won one which under stoops own standard is unacceptable is also a joke...

SoonerorLater
1/9/2016, 05:25 PM
No P5 Conference Program has won more games than OU since Bob Stoops has been the head coach. That stat right there should trump all else. National Championships are a result of winning and NC's will take care of themselves over large numbers of games.

pappy
1/9/2016, 06:19 PM
No P5 Conference Program has won more games than OU since Bob Stoops has been the head coach. That stat right there should trump all else. National Championships are a result of winning and NC's will take care of themselves over large numbers of games.

Stoops is also the longest tenured coach in the country since 2000. This makes that stat a little misleading. Stoops also averages 3 losses a season beginning with the 2005 season. ... I think Stoops leaves on his own after his kids graduate high school in a couple more years. ... I'm not saying fire Stoops, but I also don't think he wins another national championship.

I also think Stoops over achieved this year thanks to injuries to other teams. We would have lost to both Baylor and TCU if not for injuries to some of their players. We use injuries as excuses and in all honesty if Seth Russell doesn't get hurt at Baylor they are probably being crowned National Champs in 2 days.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/9/2016, 08:58 PM
Stoops is also the longest tenured coach in the country since 2000. This makes that stat a little misleading. Stoops also averages 3 losses a season beginning with the 2005 season. ... I think Stoops leaves on his own after his kids graduate high school in a couple more years. ... I'm not saying fire Stoops, but I also don't think he wins another national championship.

I also think Stoops over achieved this year thanks to injuries to other teams. We would have lost to both Baylor and TCU if not for injuries to some of their players. We use injuries as excuses and in all honesty if Seth Russell doesn't get hurt at Baylor they are probably being crowned National Champs in 2 days.

Baylor with Russell wouldn't have a prayer against either team playing monday, and I doubt they beat OU. Stidham was a pretty damn good QB - I'm not sure they lost anything going with him.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/239/baylor-bears

And as far as TCU and healthy QB, the same can be said for OU playing without QB courtesy of that goon Ty Summers.

Eielson
1/10/2016, 12:19 AM
Can win another national title?

Yes.

Eielson
1/10/2016, 12:25 AM
I'd love to see somebody make a list of better coaches. If that list was much longer than about 5, we'd have some really good LOL-material to look back on in a few years.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/10/2016, 11:44 AM
I'd love to see somebody make a list of better coaches. If that list was much longer than about 5, we'd have some really good LOL-material to look back on in a few years.

I'd offer that Saban (he's only 8-8 in bowl games, but does have the 4 NCs) and Urban Meyer (he's 9-2 in bowl game with 3 NCs) are the 2 that are better than Stoops. Close NC game losses the 2 very best are hardly a disgrace

Forget about the 4th and 5th that are better - I'd like to hear who the 3rd is. You could argue Les Miles at 8-6 is in the same league, but he's only been to 2 NCs and lost one. Pete Carroll was 7-2 with 1-1 NC game record.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/10/2016, 11:47 AM
If you think about it, all of Barry's success came from 3 recruiting classes (72, 77, 84). Are you saying that Stoops can't put together a single class?

BigTip
1/10/2016, 02:18 PM
A lot of schools would be thrilled to get the chance to lose in "big" games like we have. But we have won some too.

I always think of the Buffalo Bills when they went to four straight Super Bowls, only to lose. Were they a bad team because they didn't win it all? I don't think so.

To me winning it all is sort of like getting a hole in one golfing. You have to be good, but you also have to get lucky.

SoonerorLater
1/10/2016, 02:38 PM
Stoops is also the longest tenured coach in the country since 2000. This makes that stat a little misleading. Stoops also averages 3 losses a season beginning with the 2005 season.

I suppose you could arbitrarily pick a timeline to make a point but the fact remains that under Bob Stoops watch no other P5 program has either won more games or has a higher winning percentage. Combine that with the fact the program seems to now be trending upward and any talk about replacing Stoops is just plain silly.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/10/2016, 07:28 PM
A lot of schools would be thrilled to get the chance to lose in "big" games like we have. But we have won some too.

I always think of the Buffalo Bills when they went to four straight Super Bowls, only to lose. Were they a bad team because they didn't win it all? I don't think so.

To me winning it all is sort of like getting a hole in one golfing. You have to be good, but you also have to get lucky.

Marv Levy isn't in Canton for being a bad coach

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/11/2016, 08:29 AM
Marv Levy isn't in Canton for being a bad coach

Or winning a lot as a college coach.

Breadburner
1/11/2016, 08:39 AM
Doosh thread starters gonna doosh.......

olevetonahill
1/11/2016, 09:06 AM
Doosh thread starters gonna doosh.......

Jealous much? Dont you know his Granny has a Championship ring and his daddy was a rassler?

Turd_Ferguson
1/11/2016, 10:57 AM
daddy...lmao.

badger
1/11/2016, 11:16 AM
Really, we shouldn't be getting on Stoops... where in the hell have our bagmen been to cede control of Texas' top recruits to Texas A&M and the SEC?

Why have our secret boosters allowed these five stars to go elsewhere? Are you worried about the economy? Oh boo hoo, my car dealership doesn't have Clash for Clunkers anymore. My oil portfolio is looking thin with $40 per barrel pricing, and Wall Street has tanked in 2016. Boo freaking hoo, you 1 percenter. DO. YOUR. JOB. Empty your bank account, and start handing out the cash like its 2016 national championship or bust. If Ole Miss is beating you out for recruits, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Starting winning us recruiting wars, or consider yourself FIRED as OU bagmen. We are Oklahoma. Surely we can find other top boosters out there who can perform $100 handshakes better than anyone else in the country.

:D

swardboy
1/11/2016, 11:34 AM
Precisely why I'm all in on Lotto...buy mucho recruits!

Tear Down This Wall
1/11/2016, 12:15 PM
No he will not win another one. He had the ridiculous luck of playing the three other competitive teams in the conference without starting their QBs - and, without some of the defensive starters - plus Kansas State playing a WR at QB.

There is no way that happens again. The Texas games over the past three seasons have been atrocious. And, the Clemson post-season games show we've fallen down to at least ACC-level competitiveness.

That the ACC has caught up to the Big 12 is, really, sad. But, we're a part of that problem in allowing Texas to dictate who comes and goes in the league, Boren and Castiglione following along like lost puppies because Texas agrees to feed us more table scraps than the others.

I expect 3-5 losses every year Stoops remains. I expect to continue to watch physical teams brutalize our undersized lines in important games.

What it has come down to is this: the unexpected 2000 national title, plus the weakening of the Big 12 conference have basically given Stoops a lifetime pass here. The only thing that will trip him up are his own players' off the field antics.

He'll give one too many second chances and will get burned...and, the program along with it.

badger
1/11/2016, 12:37 PM
Precisely why I'm all in on Lotto...buy mucho recruits!

Eff yes. With Powerball, OU will buy all of the recruits.

But isn't there limits to scholarships per class or overall?

Yes, but that is why they walk-on. You'll get all the meals of the real football players, but none of the scholarship that players don't care about anyway.

What shall Powerball provide each OU recruit?

$1,000 for taking an unofficial visit, where recruits will collect

$2,000 upon arrival at campus, where they will verbal, followed by

$500 for each fellow recruit they convince to unofficially visit and (additional $500) verbal, then

$5,000 for signing a LOI, and

$10,000 for arriving on campus and not leaving before the football season starts, at which point, an additional

$10,000 will be paid upon the start of each season the athlete is enrolled, playing football, and not leaving for whatever reason.

:D National championship here we come

rock on sooner
1/11/2016, 12:45 PM

Small point of correction...Kirk Ferentz was hired at Iowa the same
year that Stoops was at OU...(and is still there..overpaid and overrated.)

Okie35
1/11/2016, 12:53 PM
Yes he can... I thought this year we'd be a year away from the playoffs and we are ahead of schedule... If we get through the early season murderers row then I can see us winning.

TAFBSooner
1/11/2016, 01:44 PM

Yes, but that is why they walk-on. You'll get all the meals of the real football players, but none of the scholarship that players don't care about anyway.

$500 for each fellow recruit they convince to unofficially visit and (additional $500) verbal, then

$10,000 for arriving on campus and not leaving before the football season starts, at which point, an additional

$10,000 will be paid upon the start of each season the athlete is enrolled, playing football, and not leaving for whatever reason.

Into the Compliance Corner with you!

swardboy
1/11/2016, 01:54 PM

Well thought out.

badger
1/11/2016, 02:55 PM
Into the Compliance Corner with you!
Look, I dunno about you, but when the Powerball hits, the everything will be ringing off the hook for a handout, and that includes your alma mater. What can you do to ensure that OU will never, ever contact you again?

That's right: Willfully thumbing your nose at the NCAA. :D

Well thought out.
You see, at the lesser schools, Oklahoma State types, they will hand you the cash right away, all up front, when you arrive on campus. But, that generally doesn't work. What's the incentive to stay? What are you going to do when Mike Goodson ticks his new OSU teammates off and goes down for another payment at Texas A&M instead?

As such, you hand the players an allowance per se so that they keep returning your phone calls and keep on the straight and narrow (in all areas other than NCAA rules that disallow payment from boosters, lol).

Now... where's my $1.3 billion, and which politicians must be paid off so that the taxman doesn't take half? ;)

swardboy
1/11/2016, 03:59 PM
Actually I won $8 last week. It's a start.

ObiKaTony
1/11/2016, 06:07 PM

They aren't taking care of themselves in case you haven't noticed...

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2016, 06:26 PM
They aren't taking care of themselves in case you haven't noticed...

Depends on your definition of a large number of games. 50 years worth ought to do it.

ObiKaTony
1/11/2016, 06:38 PM
Depends on your definition of a large number of games. 50 years worth ought to do it.

We have the definntion from our own coach in 99...15 years isn't acceptable

ObiKaTony
1/11/2016, 06:41 PM
Jealous much? Dont you know his Granny has a Championship ring and his daddy was a rassler?

Def jelous much! Lol! And don't forget daddy, bubby went to dental school and the family gives more to the program than I'm willing to bet your on purpose gramtical online persona does...

Bandwagon! Damn right, we helped buy the fuc$in schooner

SoonerorLater
1/11/2016, 07:21 PM
We have the definntion from our own coach in 99...15 years isn't acceptable

15 years is no big deal. Maybe we go 25 years then hit a couple in a row. Like I said no program has won won more games in the time period than OU under Bob Stoops. NC's are great but it's not the be all and end all of college football. Just sit back, relax and enjoy each game for what it is, good or bad.

Turd_Ferguson
1/11/2016, 08:23 PM
Def jelous much! Lol! And don't forget daddy, bubby went to dental school and the family gives more to the program than I'm willing to bet your on purpose gramtical online persona does...

lmao!!! :D

olevetonahill
1/11/2016, 09:04 PM

Im so ****ing impressed i could just ****. Your Family did all that
WTF have YOU done/ And back it up with PROOF or STFU

olevetonahill
1/11/2016, 09:06 PM
lmao!!! :D

Heh, Daddy an Bubby did that, Tony aind did **** LOL

OU Adonis
1/11/2016, 09:26 PM
OU Fans expectations have really gone down hill.

BoulderSooner79
1/11/2016, 09:35 PM

I'll confess I totally enjoyed this season and I didn't let the loss in the CFP push me into total butthurt mode. My bad. But in full disclosure, I'm already psyched for next season and if it is as fun as this one, I'll enjoy it too. So, sue me.

olevetonahill
1/11/2016, 09:40 PM
I'll confess I totally enjoyed this season and I didn't let the loss in the CFP push me into total butthurt mode. My bad. But in full disclosure, I'm already psyched for next season and if it is as fun as this one, I'll enjoy it too. So, sue me.

Yup. Ive decided instead of gettin alll butt hurt , Just to enjoy the season

SoonernAR
1/11/2016, 10:54 PM
I would like to see the same overhaul on defense...... coach and scheme, Mike needs to go. Is there another bright star out there like Lincoln Riley we can get?

Eielson
1/11/2016, 11:27 PM

Considering we want coaches fired for only having the third best team in the country...I'd say you're wrong.

OU Adonis
1/12/2016, 02:21 AM
Considering we want coaches fired for only having the third best team in the country...I'd say you're wrong.

We were not the 3rd best country in the nation... but if that is your expectation then I understand.

SoCalBigRed
1/12/2016, 04:31 AM
We weren't the third best team? So what about MSU? Or Clemson?

MSU made our game look tight. And had we not lost a complete half of our offense, with two RBs that could start for most anyone, going down...

80% of the people on the forum and others predicted 5 or 6 losses.

Weren't the 3rd best team? GTFO of here with that idiocy.

Jacie
1/12/2016, 07:31 AM
It could be argued the Big 10 sent their 2nd best team into the playoff or even the 3rd but then the second guessers said that about the Big XII after the OU loss.

But as bad as I wanted a win last week, I am happy with OUr season and will wear my 2015 Big XII Champions shirt with pride.

SoonerorLater
1/12/2016, 08:38 AM
I would like to see the same overhaul on defense...... coach and scheme, Mike needs to go. Is there another bright star out there like Lincoln Riley we can get?

Why? Our defense was much improved this year. It wasn't just improved it was good. Last night Alabama gave up more points to Clemson than OU did and we all hear what incredible talent Alabama has. We gave up 17 points to Tennessee in regulation Alabama gave up 14 points. So based on our two common opponents the OU defense and the Alabama defense performed about the same.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2016, 08:46 AM
Why? Our defense was much improved this year. It wasn't just improved it was good. Last night Alabama gave up more points to Clemson than OU did and we all hear what incredible talent Alabama has. We gave up 17 points to Tennessee in regulation Alabama gave up 14 points. So based on our two common opponents the OU defense and the Alabama defense performed about the same.

We seriously need to upgrade at linebacker. We've slowly improved since BV left and our linebackers are now "productive", but what we need to defensively turn the corner is for them to be "dominating". We basically need to be able to cut loose our DL and know that the linebackers will clean it up if it goes south.

CincySooner
1/12/2016, 08:47 AM
No he will not win another one. He had the ridiculous luck of playing the three other competitive teams in the conference without starting their QBs - and, without some of the defensive starters - plus Kansas State playing a WR at QB.

There is no way that happens again. The Texas games over the past three seasons have been atrocious. And, the Clemson post-season games show we've fallen down to at least ACC-level competitiveness.

That the ACC has caught up to the Big 12 is, really, sad. But, we're a part of that problem in allowing Texas to dictate who comes and goes in the league, Boren and Castiglione following along like lost puppies because Texas agrees to feed us more table scraps than the others.

I expect 3-5 losses every year Stoops remains. I expect to continue to watch physical teams brutalize our undersized lines in important games.

What it has come down to is this: the unexpected 2000 national title, plus the weakening of the Big 12 conference have basically given Stoops a lifetime pass here. The only thing that will trip him up are his own players' off the field antics.

He'll give one too many second chances and will get burned...and, the program along with it.

Then it sounds like you and OkibaTony can go play golf together on Saturdays next fall. I'll be in front of the TV.

CincySooner
1/12/2016, 08:55 AM

How fortunate for you that your family is able to donate so much money to their favorite athletic program. I feel much better knowing that about you.

dwarthog
1/12/2016, 09:01 AM
We seriously need to upgrade at linebacker. We've slowly improved since BV left and our linebackers are now "productive", but what we need to defensively turn the corner is for them to be "dominating". We basically need to be able to cut loose our DL and know that the linebackers will clean it up if it goes south.

We seemed to have recruited better the last couple of years in the LB area. Got a couple of kids with some potential it looks like anyway.

Have you heard anything with regards to how they are coming along in the program?

olevetonahill
1/12/2016, 09:05 AM
How fortunate for you that your family is able to donate so much money to their favorite athletic program. I feel much better knowing that about you.

Heh, The boy dint say "HIM and his family" He said "His family" Granpa was a b8 ref and daddy was a rasler and bubby (What ever the **** that is ) was a tiddly winks player er some silly ****! Who scrapes teeth.

SoonerMarkVA
1/12/2016, 09:10 AM
We seemed to have recruited better the last couple of years in the LB area. Got a couple of kids with some potential it looks like anyway.

Have you heard anything with regards to how they are coming along in the program?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Seems like Bolton, DeBerry, and Hulk are an upgrade in size, if nothing else.

SoonerorLater
1/12/2016, 10:17 AM
Then it sounds like you and OkibaTony can go play golf together on Saturdays next fall. I'll be in front of the TV.

Yeah and all of this is after an 11-2 year. Apparently 14-0 is the new requirement around here........and we have to look good doing it.

dwarthog
1/12/2016, 10:32 AM
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Seems like Bolton, DeBerry, and Hulk are an upgrade in size, if nothing else.

Here is what the roster shows for LB's today. We know which ones are leaving.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/dwarthog/Screenshot%20from%202016-01-12%2009-27-38_zpsqt8z46p9.png

Looking at 2016 recruiting class on 247 which shows us with 15 "hard commits" there are two LB's on the list.

Tear Down This Wall
1/12/2016, 11:03 AM

I'm a 22 year season ticket holder; so, I'll be at the games. Try again.

SoonerMarkVA
1/12/2016, 11:14 AM
Here is what the roster shows for LB's today. We know which ones are leaving.

Looking at 2016 recruiting class on 247 which shows us with 15 "hard commits" there are two LB's on the list.

Interesting. I thought Bolton was bigger than that.

CincySooner
1/12/2016, 12:09 PM
Yeah and all of this is after an 11-2 year. Apparently 14-0 is the new requirement around here........and we have to look good doing it.

They probably complained that OU didn't have enough offense after the 2001 Orange Bowl also :)

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2016, 12:16 PM
They probably complained that OU didn't have enough offense after the 2001 Orange Bowl also :)

No, that was back in the era of defense. They complained about the safety on the failed punt and losing the shutout ;)

CincySooner
1/12/2016, 12:26 PM
I'm a 22 year season ticket holder; so, I'll be at the games. Try again.

sounds like your wallet has more influence than your words

Tear Down This Wall
1/12/2016, 02:07 PM
No, that was back in the era of defense. They complained about the safety on the failed punt and losing the shutout ;)

This. The Stoops that cared more about defense than offense is long gone. Within two seasons he had a roster full of John Blake recruits breathing fire on defense. No more.

His groups these days talk a lot, call themselves sharks, and all sorts of other stupid things. But, they pale greatly in comparison to the 2000 and 2001 defenses.

ddub0224
1/12/2016, 02:10 PM
This. The Stoops that cared more about defense than offense is long gone. Within two seasons he had a roster full of John Blake recruits breathing fire on defense. No more.

His groups these days talk a lot, call themselves sharks, and all sorts of other stupid things. But, they pale greatly in comparison to the 2000 and 2001 defenses.

Is this the start of a fire Mike Stoops and hire John Blake thread?

SoonerMarkVA
1/12/2016, 02:22 PM
Is this the start of a fire Mike Stoops and hire John Blake thread?

I sure hope so. We need to bring back the excitement of the coach's show when Blake was here.

"Steven Parker ... Jenks, OK ... good job."

Eielson
1/12/2016, 03:25 PM
We were not the 3rd best country in the nation... but if that is your expectation then I understand.

Top 5

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2016, 03:35 PM

That was intended as a joke. You know - the 'ol people will complain even if they are hanged by a new rope bit?

olevetonahill
1/12/2016, 03:44 PM
That was intended as a joke. You know - the 'ol people will complain even if they are hanged by a new rope bit?
Hell Id complain if I was hung witha 24 inch peter!

ObiKaTony
1/12/2016, 06:46 PM
Heh, The boy dint say "HIM and his family" He said "His family" Granpa was a b8 ref and daddy was a rasler and bubby (What ever the **** that is ) was a tiddly winks player er some silly ****! Who scrapes teeth.

Y du u tulk like dis? Seriously, it gets old...

My response was in response to some idiot calling me a bandwagon fan, It's laughable. Why? For saying stoops wont win a national title here again? Seems obvious to me an others he won't...

ObiKaTony
1/12/2016, 06:49 PM

TDTW is absolutely correct. We got lucky this year. The defense def got better, but the same story will unfold when we face physically better teams- we can't recruit the d-linemen anymore, it's pathetic, the last 5 star we had ok defense was last year with DeBerry(spelling) and before that it was what 6 years ago with Reynolds? Program isn't on an elite level since 08...

olevetonahill
1/12/2016, 07:47 PM
Y du u tulk like dis? Seriously, it gets old...

My response was in response to some idiot calling me a bandwagon fan, It's laughable. Why? For saying stoops wont win a national title here again? Seems obvious to me an others he won't...

No, What gets OLD is people like you that think you have superior football knowledge . simply because you and or your family DONATE money or have season tickets.
Bite me moran !
Do you want Bob to do what Saban does? if so then you are not a worthy fan IMHO.

BoulderSooner79
1/12/2016, 07:53 PM
TDTW is absolutely correct. We got lucky this year. The defense def got better, but the same story will unfold when we face physically better teams- we can't recruit the d-linemen anymore, it's pathetic, the last 5 star we had ok defense was last year with DeBerry(spelling) and before that it was what 6 years ago with Reynolds? Program isn't on an elite level since 08...

If the program is pathetic and predictable that it will stay that way, why do you not play golf instead ? (Or go fishing/hunting/hang gliding/etc.). Masochism, perhaps?

ObiKaTony
1/12/2016, 08:57 PM
No, What gets OLD is people like you that think you have superior football knowledge . simply because you and or your family DONATE money or have season tickets.
Bite me moran !
Do you want Bob to do what Saban does? if so then you are not a worthy fan IMHO.

I want bob to do more than what he is doing, bob in 99 would admit he needs to do more than what he is doing. I don't have superior football knowledge, but neither do those saying 'you are stupid! Bob is doing just fine...' In my opinion, that isn't an accurate statement. As far as many goes, my family and I put the money where are mouths are, so anyone calling me a bandwagon fan is a total uninformed fool.

Nice to see you typing normal my friend...

ObiKaTony
1/12/2016, 09:01 PM
If the program is pathetic and predictable that it will stay that way, why do you not play golf instead ? (Or go fishing/hunting/hang gliding/etc.). Masochism, perhaps?

The program isn't pathetic, our recruiting relative to OUs past is, and the program while being good is underperforming...

What's interesting is we have bob stoops pm record saying -15 years is too long. Is bob stoops an uninformed hack?

ObiKaTony
1/12/2016, 09:04 PM
I'll guarantee we don't win a championship next year. We simply don't have the players on both lines of the ball, specifically on the defensive line. Plus, stoops has issues with bowl games, games played out 3-4 weeks out his team typically shut down. How much more evidence does one need?

It's not a crazy nor an uniformed to say stoops' chances of winning a national title are slim to none, the record is what it is...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/12/2016, 09:14 PM
I'll guarantee we don't win a championship next year. We simply don't have the players on both lines of the ball, specifically on the defensive line. Plus, stoops has issues with bowl games, games played out 3-4 weeks out his team typically shut down. How much more evidence does one need?

It's not a crazy nor an uniformed to say stoops' chances of winning a national title are slim to none, the record is what it is...

Weren't you dead wrong last year? You have no clue what this team is going to look like next year. You have no clue what player is going to step up or break out. If fans like you were calling the shots, Nebraska doesn't make the 94-97 run because you would have canned Osborne in the 80s.

ObiKaTony
1/12/2016, 09:17 PM
Weren't you dead wrong last year? You have no clue what this team is going to look like next year. You have no clue what player is going to step up or break out. If fans like you were calling the shots, Nebraska doesn't make the 94-97 run because you would have canned Osborne in the 80s.

Fans like you: we would still have Gary Gibbs, then have his kid as coach...fans like you are gutless, and are afraid of anything proactive even if truth is involved.

ObiKaTony
1/12/2016, 09:20 PM

Wrong? I said this league is a qb driven league. If baker played well we could make some noise. If not, we might not win 7 games (see second half of tcu) spot on.

olevetonahill
1/12/2016, 09:51 PM
I want bob to do more than what he is doing, bob in 99 would admit he needs to do more than what he is doing. I don't have superior football knowledge, but neither do those saying 'you are stupid! Bob is doing just fine...' In my opinion, that isn't an accurate statement. As far as many goes, my family and I put the money where are mouths are, so anyone calling me a bandwagon fan is a total uninformed fool.

Nice to see you typing normal my friend...

I type to the ability of the audience (YOU) to comprehend , Now go smoke a bowl and leave the football talkin to fellers what know what they sayin, Ya hear?

ObiKaTony
1/12/2016, 10:03 PM
I type to the ability of the audience (YOU) to comprehend , Now go smoke a bowl and leave the football talkin to fellers what know what they sayin, Ya hear?

Lol! Ok bud

olevetonahill
1/12/2016, 10:09 PM
Lol!
Ok bud

OK Bud? you got some Good Bud, Share with a brother!

ObiKaTony
1/12/2016, 10:12 PM
OK Bud? you got some Good Bud, Share with a brother!

Honesty don't like the stuff. I steal daddy's scotch and drink that instead (18 year old or older, no exceptions ;))

SoonerFaninAZ
1/13/2016, 12:12 AM
The landscape of college football has changed dramatically over the years. It's very difficult to win these days. Only one team gets the crown. It doesn't mean all the others failed. Sure...We Are Oklahoma. We expect National Championships. But, in reality, should we?

Where are all the great high school football players? With no offense meant toward the young men that play in Oklahoma, there are plenty of other regions in the country that produce better football players. The Sooners will always fill most of their roster with Oklahomans. Should we be able to get the best from Texas? No. It's a surprise--and an upset really--when we steal some of the best from Texas on occasion.

But look at the schools near where these five-star players are from. Powerhouses. Should we expect to get the best in California from USC or even UCLA? Should we expect to get the best from anywhere east of Texas? Should we expect to get the best from the Great Lakes region?

To be honest, I think the Oklahoma Sooners have been very fortunate to get some of the players they've gotten. I think think the Oklahoma Sooners have been very fortunate to have experienced the level of success they actually have on the national stage. Would it be nice to have a couple more rings? Of course. Should we expect it? Probably not.

I will continue to enjoy any and all victories that Bob Stoops and the Sooners produce. I'm a Sooner. Always. Have I "lowered" my expectations to be satisfied winning 10 or 11 games a year? I suppose I have. I don't feel that I'm owed anything. I don't feel the need to bash a team or coach that have provided me, as a fan, with a lot of enjoyment, satisfaction and pride over many, many years.

ObiKaTony
1/13/2016, 12:57 AM
The landscape of college football has changed dramatically over the years. It's very difficult to win these days. Only one team gets the crown. It doesn't mean all the others failed. Sure...We Are Oklahoma. We expect National Championships. But, in reality, should we?

Where are all the great high school football players? With no offense meant toward the young men that play in Oklahoma, there are plenty of other regions in the country that produce better football players. The Sooners will always fill most of their roster with Oklahomans. Should we be able to get the best from Texas? No. It's a surprise--and an upset really--when we steal some of the best from Texas on occasion.

But look at the schools near where these five-star players are from. Powerhouses. Should we expect to get the best in California from USC or even UCLA? Should we expect to get the best from anywhere east of Texas? Should we expect to get the best from the Great Lakes region?

To be honest, I think the Oklahoma Sooners have been very fortunate to get some of the players they've gotten. I think think the Oklahoma Sooners have been very fortunate to have experienced the level of success they actually have on the national stage. Would it be nice to have a couple more rings? Of course. Should we expect it? Probably not.

I will continue to enjoy any and all victories that Bob Stoops and the Sooners produce. I'm a Sooner. Always. Have I "lowered" my expectations to be satisfied winning 10 or 11 games a year? I suppose I have. I don't feel that I'm owed anything. I don't feel the need to bash a team or coach that have provided me, as a fan, with a lot of enjoyment, satisfaction and pride over many, many years.

This says it all folks...btw- OU is centrally located in a recruiting hotbed, and most of our players come from Texas...

Jesus C, I'm calling checkmate here. This is Bob stoops OU program post 2008-

BoulderSooner79
1/13/2016, 01:21 AM
This says it all folks...btw- OU is centrally located in a recruiting hotbed, and most of our players come from Texas...

Checkmate for who? People who enjoy the show or those with constant angst over it?

olevetonahill
1/13/2016, 07:25 AM
Honesty don't like the stuff. I steal daddy's scotch and drink that instead (18 year old or older, no exceptions ;))

Holy hell boy How old are you? You Steal "Daddy's scotch?"
If you under 21 Ima quit arguing with you, Thinkin about it any way cause I suspect you may be border line retarded!

Checkmate for who? People who enjoy the show or those with constant angst over it?

What im thinkin Boulder, This kid dont understand the word "PARITY"
Guess Bob could do the "Gray shirt" deal but then most of us would lose respect for him.
ESPN has ruined CFB as we knew it, Way too much money and way too many games on TeeVee, A kid dont have to sit on a bench a Great program like OU they can be TeeVee stars at baylor and tcu of all places. 15 years ago thos places had crap facilities and crap programs now look at em. ESPN and Money

BoulderSooner79
1/13/2016, 08:10 AM
What im thinkin Boulder, This kid dont understand the word "PARITY"
Guess Bob could do the "Gray shirt" deal but then most of us would lose respect for him.
ESPN has ruined CFB as we knew it, Way too much money and way too many games on TeeVee, A kid dont have to sit on a bench a Great program like OU they can be TeeVee stars at baylor and tcu of all places. 15 years ago thos places had crap facilities and crap programs now look at em. ESPN and Money

You could be on to something. I saw that ratings for the final were way down from last year. Everyone blamed the New Year's Eve thing for the ratings drop for the semis, but maybe that wasn't the only reason. The final was in Monday night prime-time and featured the all and powerful Saba-labama. I guess losing ESPN and CFB isn't enough to stop the cord cutting any more.

SoonerBBall
1/13/2016, 09:49 AM

Enlighten us. Who would you get to replace Bob?

badger
1/13/2016, 09:49 AM
I guess losing ESPN and CFB isn't enough to stop the cord cutting any more
It's just about gotten to that point. I think Time Warner or some other cable company touted that subscriptions have finally gone up in a month/quarter/??? but my guess is that it was people switching from other companies to a cheaper package and are on their way out. They've screwed customers for so long that customers are finally voting with their wallets, as depicted in this semi-NSFW scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0sAVtOt2wA)

SoonerorLater
1/13/2016, 10:16 AM

No that's not how it works. Joe C is supposed to have a go to list of replacements in his desk drawer that he can call up to win a National Championship. :smug:

olevetonahill
1/13/2016, 10:26 AM
No that's not how it works. Joe C is supposed to have a go to list of replacements in his desk drawer that he can call up to win a National Championship. :smug:

http://www.olevetpossehideout.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

CincySooner
1/13/2016, 10:36 AM
Mmmmkay, I'm bowing out of this conversation, but I'll leave you with this.

If the original question is: "Does anyone really think Bob Stoops can win another championship"

Then my answer is: "I sure am excited to find out"

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/13/2016, 04:34 PM
Fans like you: we would still have Gary Gibbs, then have his kid as coach...fans like you are gutless, and are afraid of anything proactive even if truth is involved.

Gary Gibbs was a much better coach than the 2 that came after him. He had a chance, they didn't.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/13/2016, 04:35 PM
Wrong? I said this league is a qb driven league. If baker played well we could make some noise. If not, we might not win 7 games (see second half of tcu) spot on.

Are you saying Baker isn't good enough to win the league next year?

ObiKaTony
1/13/2016, 10:59 PM
Are you saying Baker isn't good enough to win the league next year?

Exact opposite, he was the contributing factor why we won the league...

ObiKaTony
1/13/2016, 11:43 PM

First would be Gary Patterson. Dude is hungry as hell, and he can obviously coach and recruit. He is competitive with Bob at tcu of all places. I all, I believe him to be a better coach.

Second would be Art Briles. Yes, he reminds me of bd kilber from varsity blues, but their is no denying he has outcoachdd bob many times at Baylor. He has built baylorninto a power house of talent which is no easy task.

3rd would be a young bob stoops. A man who has been part of a national championship, and mentored under a great coach. (Spurrier)

Stoops has been awesome, but I really think it's gotten a little stale . This year is it for me. If he can't win this year, move on

Eielson
1/13/2016, 11:52 PM
First would be Gary Patterson. Dude is hungry as hell, and he can obviously coach and recruit. He is competitive with Bob at tcu of all places. I all, I believe him to be a better coach.

Second would be Art Briles. Yes, he reminds me of bd kilber from varsity blues, but their is no denying he has outcoachdd bob many times at Baylor. He has built baylorninto a power house of talent which is no easy task.

3rd would be a young bob stoops. A man who has been part of a national championship, and mentored under a great coach. (Spurrier)

Stoops has been awesome, but I really think it's gotten a little stale . This year is it for me. If he can't win this year, move on

Words can't express how obnoxiously underwhelmed I am by this list.

ObiKaTony
1/13/2016, 11:56 PM
Words can't express how obnoxiously underwhelmed I am by this list.

No doubt, I've seen your responses in the past, I'm kinda glad you don't like them, my list would feel cheated

You think Gary Patterson is less of a coach than stoops?

You think Briles is less of a coach than stoops?

They are playing to at least to his level, Patterson has surely done more with less at tcu, you know, the mid level school in ft worth giving OU fits.

ObiKaTony
1/14/2016, 12:03 AM
Right now, 2016- both Baylor and tcu are kicking our *** in recruiting. We are ranked freakin 35th. It's a joke...

olevetonahill
1/14/2016, 12:13 AM

I said Smoke a Bowl Yer an Ignoramus
This year? Really ?

He just missed so Bob! Do a Hank Snow !

ObiKaTony
1/14/2016, 12:17 AM
This year? Really ?

So Gary Patterson, 2x BCS winner at tcu (should have been in 2015 being number 5 and routing ole miss) and arguably the best team last year with a recruiting class 14 spots better than OU currently at little ole tcu isn't a viable choice? You people are insane. 3-5 years Patterson would win a championship here, there is no doubt in my mind. He plays stoops close every year at at ****ty school in ft worth and now is out recruiting him-

Yeah, totally insane to want him!

ObiKaTony
1/14/2016, 12:19 AM
This year? Really ?

One more time, your online persona of tulkin like a hillbilly from tha Tenn hills is really lame dude

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2016, 12:30 AM
So Gary Patterson, 2x BCS winner at tcu (should have been in 2015 being number 5 and routing ole miss) and arguably the best team last year with a recruiting class 14 spots better than OU currently at little ole tcu isn't a viable choice? You people are insane. 3-5 years Patterson would win a championship here, there is no doubt in my mind. He plays stoops close every year at at ****ty school in ft worth and now is out recruiting him-

Yeah, totally insane to want him!

Patterson is pretty universally respected as a coach. But I assume you realize how absurd it seems to be talking about replacing Stoops right now? He just won the conference out right and made the CFP. There is no scandal coming from the program right now, a facilities upgrade is in progress and OU will start next season with a single digit ranking by it's name. Any call for a coaching change would be even less effective than farting in the breeze. Are you just trying to line up support for 3-4 years down the road?

ObiKaTony
1/14/2016, 12:48 AM
Patterson is pretty universally respected as a coach. But I assume you realize how absurd it seems to be talking about replacing Stoops right now? He just won the conference out right and made the CFP. There is no scandal coming from the program right now, a facilities upgrade is in progress and OU will start next season with a single digit ranking by it's name. Any call for a coaching change would be even less effective than farting in the breeze. Are you just trying to line up support for 3-4 years down the road?

Don't disagree with that at all. But the thread is 'will stoops win another title'. I say hell no, and the inevitable will come...

ObiKaTony
1/14/2016, 01:29 AM
What should scare us all is that OU has taken a nose dive in recruiting. 35th in the nation. That is just unacceptable...

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2016, 07:01 AM
What should scare us all is that OU has taken a nose dive in recruiting. 35th in the nation. That is just unacceptable...

Lots of caveats here.
- Rankings are based on quality of the class and size of the class. This is going to be a smallish class for OU relative to many other teams, so you have to factor that out.
- There are still slots open for more verbals which is not true for all teams currently ranked above OU.
- Signing day always holds surprises as these "commits" are still verbals outside the JC signings

My guess is that OU finishes somewhere around 15th once all the LOIs are signed and if you normalize on average star rating, a few slots above that. But the biggest voodoo is needing to see the future a few years down the road to really judge a class. We've had highly rated classes produce almost no starters and lower rated classes produces several star performers. I'm sure Stoops' performance review includes aspects of recruiting.

BoulderSooner79
1/14/2016, 07:05 AM
Don't disagree with that at all. But the thread is 'will stoops win another title'. I say hell no, and the inevitable will come...

It certainly will, but it may not have anything to do with winning another title. Bob's seat is ice cold right now and it could easily stay that way until the day he voluntarily retires without ever winning another NC title. You would see that if you took off your fan hat for a second and put on JoeC's hat for a while.

Sooner70
1/14/2016, 07:20 AM
One thing for sure....one cannot win a NC unless one contends for a NC, and that usually means winning conference titles & now making playoffs. Stoops has done well at that, so I'd stick with him. Yep, there have been meltdowns in big games (the stomping by USC back in 2003?) that may call into account preparation or something, but no one can deny that Stoops is a winner. For awhile, I sorta subscribed to the burnout/stale theory, but no longer.....this last season proved to me that Stoops still has the fire burning and is all go on it. We love Bob. Now, Mike may be another story.

Here's a thought.....when Bob does decide to hang it up.....how about we get Mark over from Kentucky?

dwarthog
1/14/2016, 08:08 AM
Right now, 2016- both Baylor and tcu are kicking our *** in recruiting. We are ranked freakin 35th. It's a joke...

Right now it's lack of numbers that has us behind those to two teams. Based on the "Star" count we are doing OK. Hopefully signing day will see us getting some of the kids that they been working on for a while which will move us up nicely.

I checked 247's rankings and here is what I found.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/dwarthog/baylor_zpsgjsr49p4.png

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/dwarthog/tcu_zpsfu5ycu7g.png

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/dwarthog/ou_zpsybtp9rfd.png

Just for fun I'm throwing in the Mighty Alabama so we can marvel at their recruiting prowess...

Only 1 5* and they recruited 7 3*????

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/dwarthog/alabama_zpscqh41nvf.png

Since71ASooner4Life
1/16/2016, 11:33 AM
No doubt, I've seen your responses in the past, I'm kinda glad you don't like them, my list would feel cheated

They are playing to at least to his level, Patterson has surely done more with less at tcu, you know, the mid level school in ft worth giving OU fits.

We should start a thread where the critics have an opportunity to name all the coaches, other than Saban and Meyer, who they are certain will win national championships during the next 10 years - thus making them obvious better options then Bob Stoops. That would be funny as hell to read in another 7 or 8 years.

olevetonahill
1/16/2016, 12:35 PM
One more time, your online persona of tulkin like a hillbilly from tha Tenn hills is really lame dude

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/58136222.jpg

Jacie
1/16/2016, 01:33 PM
We should start a thread where the critics have an opportunity to name all the coaches, other than Saban and Meyer, who they are certain will win national championships during the next 10 years - thus making them obvious better options then Bob Stoops. That would be funny as hell to read in another 7 or 8 years.

Let's see, Holgerson? no, WVU has him tied up. Strong? Not going to outbid the whorns for that talent. That leaves Gundy. We HAVE to go after him!

ObiKaTony
1/16/2016, 09:05 PM
In the big 12 itself there are 2 better coaches

Gary Patterson
Art Briles

There programs are on par with OUs in recent success, and both Baylor and tcu have 5 percent of the tradition/glamour that Oklahoma has...

ObiKaTony
1/16/2016, 09:07 PM
It's also important to note that I believe Patterson or Art would be so amped up ton coach at OU (as did bob 17 years ago) I would replace bob in a minute based off the human component of complacency...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2016, 09:26 PM
I was curious about something so I looked it up. There once was a coach with an 8-13 bowl record, 0 national titles (0-3 in those games). He went on to win his last 4 bowl games and finished with 3 national titles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Osborne

ObiKaTony
1/16/2016, 09:31 PM
I was curious about something so I looked it up. There once was a coach with an 8-13 bowl record, 0 national titles (0-3 in those games). He went on to win his last 4 bowl games and finished with 3 national titles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Osborne

Yeah, great analogy...here are some others

Jo Paterno
Frank Beamer

What Tom did was amazing, and it came off OU (ironically enough) getting the hammer after Barry. The analogy stinks, when you consider without Switzer being gone, he wouldn't have been able to win , and right now art and Patterson are better coaches if you consider where there at (small schools) and where Bob is at. The r

JLEW1818
1/16/2016, 09:39 PM
FIRE VENABLES !!!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2016, 09:43 PM

As long as we get to 15 we should be okay. 10-18 seems to be our sweet spot where we get enough playmakers to compete for national titles. Every time we go higher than 10 the class just seems to get decimated by attrition. When looking at individual players, 5.6 to 5.8 seems to be where all of those guys come from.

ObiKaTony
1/16/2016, 09:44 PM
Helped our defense, it helped the Clemson defense..sometimes change is needed for the sake sake of change...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/16/2016, 09:46 PM

Jo Paterno
Frank Beamer

What Tom did was amazing, and it came off OU (ironically enough) getting the hammer after Barry. The analogy stinks, when you consider without Switzer being gone, he wouldn't have been able to win , and right now art and Patterson are better coaches if you consider where there at (small schools) and where Bob is at. The r

That isn't the reason, the reason is that the better college football players are at the lower end of the texas rankings. Think about the team that is dominating recruiting in the state - Texas A&M - they underachieve pretty badly. It reminds me of Rice Baseball during the 00's. They perennially got the guys that weren't going to be drafted and were highly ranked every year.

BoulderSooner79
1/17/2016, 11:20 AM
In the big 12 itself there are 2 better coaches

Gary Patterson
Art Briles

There programs are on par with OUs in recent success, and both Baylor and tcu have 5 percent of the tradition/glamour that Oklahoma has...

Come back when Stoops is on the hot seat or has set a schedule for retirement. The available coaching landscape could be completely different by then. Right now, you just sound like a kid making out an unrealistic Christmas list.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/17/2016, 11:37 AM
Come back when Stoops is on the hot seat or has set a schedule for retirement. The available coaching landscape could be completely different by then. Right now, you just sound like a kid making out an unrealistic Christmas list.

The Gary Patterson one cracks me up. He wouldn't have survived that going for 2 fiasco here.

manateepower
1/17/2016, 08:53 PM

Wouldn't be any funnier than the people who've been mocking anyone who dare to claim that Stoops is anything more than a slightly better Lloyd Carr.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/17/2016, 11:15 PM
Wouldn't be any funnier than the people who've been mocking anyone who dare to claim that Stoops is anything more than a slightly better Lloyd Carr.

Probably not a bad comparison. I'd just like to point out that in the 7 years following Carr, Michigan is a .500 team with 3 losing seasons. You are giving up a chance at a national title for most likely zero chance. Look at Nebraska -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_seasons

Yes, there is an Urban Meyer and a Nick Saban out there, but those guys are RARE. More likely, you get a Gus Malzahn or a Terry Bowden.

olevetonahill
1/17/2016, 11:29 PM

Jo Paterno
Frank Beamer

What Tom did was amazing, and it came off OU (ironically enough) getting the hammer after Barry. The analogy stinks, when you consider
without Switzer being gone, he wouldn't have been able to win , and right now art and Patterson are better coaches if you consider where there at (small schools) and where Bob is at. The r

Do you NOT see the stupidity of your post?
With Bob gone? whats gonna happen?
I say again I believe YOU are boarder line Retarded!
Go steal some more of "Daddies" scotch

Eielson
1/17/2016, 11:45 PM

Generic insult. Cute.

It's really nothing against the two you named; it's more that you only named two, and that you didn't mention the usual guys like Harbaugh, Saban, Meyer, etc. If you want to fire a coach, you should at least be able to reasonably name 10-20 guys the program would be in better hands with. You couldn't even get it to five.

manateepower
1/17/2016, 11:58 PM
Probably not a bad comparison. I'd just like to point out that in the 7 years following Carr, Michigan is a .500 team with 3 losing seasons. You are giving up a chance at a national title for most likely zero chance. Look at Nebraska -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nebraska_Cornhuskers_football_seasons

Michigan didn't make a mistake firing Carr. He was getting stale and had been doing a very poor job developing talent. Michigan fell off because of institutional arrogance, and an awful Dave Brandon.

Nebraska is apples and oranges. Solich was fired after two mediocre seasons (though you could argue that 2003 wasn't all that bad).

Stoops has been around for 17 years, and has a lengthy history of performing poorly against teams with elite talent (you can list exceptions all you want. that is what they are. exceptions).

You could argue that Stoops is rejuvinated and will perform at a higher level AEB this past season. But the beatdown at the hands of Clemson showed how far we had fallen in terms of recruiting in development.

BoulderSooner79
1/18/2016, 12:23 AM
Boy, did Stoops and OU hurt some people's feelers by making the playoffs, but not winning it all. If only that Vol comeback didn't happen and if Parker could have miss-judged the ball on that 2-point try, there might be some sanity to this thread. The butt hurt runs deep at the realization that Stoops is sitting pretty for a couple more seasons. I guess reality does bite.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/18/2016, 08:43 AM
You could argue that Stoops is rejuvinated and will perform at a higher level AEB this past season. But the beatdown at the hands of Clemson showed how far we had fallen in terms of recruiting in development.

It didn't take a beat down at the hands of clemson to show me how far we'd fallen, I could tell that by playing teams like Tulsa (I'm assuming you are talking about last year since this year we were a clapping penalty and 2 red zone INTs away). I've been complaining about our lack of talent AT CERTAIN POSITIONS since 2007. Every one of those positions has a new coach now. If they end up being bad at evaluating talent then you have a case (since his main responsibility is hiring position coaches that can evaluate and develop elite talent).

Our overall talent level has increased markedly over the last several years except for OL and WR. I'm still not sold on Bedenbaugh being good enough to get us to the next level. And I have no clue why Norvell continues to get jobs, that guy would do better picking random WR names out of a hat.

winout
1/18/2016, 05:06 PM
It is interesting that leading into this week's NFL games we were second to only UGA in number of players on the roster of competing teams. Tenn. was third. None of those teams has realistically competed for a national title in the last few years. Is it coaching?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/18/2016, 08:54 PM
It is interesting that leading into this week's NFL games we were second to only UGA in number of players on the roster of competing teams. Tenn. was third. None of those teams has realistically competed for a national title in the last few years. Is it coaching?

If you look at the list, our superstars (the guys that made a crazy impact here) are kind of graying. http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/o.

Interesting Notes:

Now that Davin is out of the NFL (and he graduated in 2004) we have ZERO guards but 3 centers and 5 tackles. In other words, a microcosm of our OL play where we struggle up the middle
We have 3 Linebackers - Loftin (2007), Lewis (effort), Nelson (hurt)
Post 2008, we have a lot of guys who were good here but not outstanding (arguments could be made for some)

Since71ASooner4Life
1/21/2016, 07:19 AM

So are you going to name those who will win?

manateepower
1/26/2016, 03:23 AM
So are you going to name those who will win?

This apologetic needs to be stickied. It's been addressed time and time again.

I have NO IDEA who is going to win. I don't have a crystal. All I can do is go off of the information that we currently have.

While I don't know who is going to win, I DO know that history has shown us that generally coaches who stay around for too long can get stale and complacent after some early success (see lloyd carr, frank beamer, bobby bowden, and I could name many more), and generally do not all of a sudden gain an elite coaching ability out of the blue. Especially not one who is hiring Chaplains to coach the OL, overweight 35 year olds with no play calling experience to run the office, and allowing Tim Kish to coach in ANY CAPACITY.

Getting blown out in a semi-final game is NOT evidence to the contrary. It's just a reflection of how far we have to go to be an elite college football program. I am not confident that a guy approaching two decades and talking about not wanting to coach too long because of family history with health issues is the guy.

Take a chance on a younger, less arrogant and stubborn guy. Who? I don't know. Let's find out. If the Athletic Department is doing their job, they should be doing this kind of research constantly. Keeping an eye as much of the coaching talent as possible.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/26/2016, 08:42 AM
This apologetic needs to be stickied. It's been addressed time and time again.

I have NO IDEA who is going to win. I don't have a crystal. All I can do is go off of the information that we currently have.

While I don't know who is going to win, I DO know that history has shown us that generally coaches who stay around for too long can get stale and complacent after some early success (see lloyd carr, frank beamer, bobby bowden, and I could name many more), and generally do not all of a sudden gain an elite coaching ability out of the blue. Especially not one who is hiring Chaplains to coach the OL, overweight 35 year olds with no play calling experience to run the office, and allowing Tim Kish to coach in ANY CAPACITY.

Getting blown out in a semi-final game is NOT evidence to the contrary. It's just a reflection of how far we have to go to be an elite college football program. I am not confident that a guy approaching two decades and talking about not wanting to coach too long because of family history with health issues is the guy.

Take a chance on a younger, less arrogant and stubborn guy. Who? I don't know. Let's find out. If the Athletic Department is doing their job, they should be doing this kind of research constantly. Keeping an eye as much of the coaching talent as possible.

I'll give you Bowden. However, he didn't win his first national title until his 27th year (the other in his 33rd year). Talk about a guy that very rarely won the big one, that is your guy (12 consecutive top 10 finishes, 2 national titles during that stretch).

Frank Beamer on the other hand, played in one national title game in his career - that 1999 game that Bowden won. He only finished in the top 10 5 times in 28 years. Stoops has finished in the top 10 in 10 out 17 years.