PDA

View Full Version : #1 OU (coaches know more than writers) vs #1 KU

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 08:15 PM
BIG game...

I just don't think we'll get it done. Self is like 190something and 9 at home....are you kidding me? Self never has lost on Big Monday. Not trying to be negative, just trying to see it with my head, not heart.

I'd give OU about a 35-40% chance of winning. I will be mildly surprised if we can pull it out. Spread is 7.5 I think.

The match-up with Ellis will be big. He's like Niang, hits outside, big enough inside. It'll be a guards game. Their big is about as good as Lattin off so it'll be a push there.

Def need the bench to step up.

Boomer!

SoonerorLater
1/4/2016, 08:33 PM
It's tough under any circumstances to win at Allen but I think we have a good chance. Mason, Selden and Graham are tough but I think we match up pretty well with them. Kansas worries me more defensively than offensively. Over the last few games I've noticed our guards being a little lackadaisical with the passes. KU eats that kind of stuff up. Do that tonight and those soft flat passes in the middle of the court end up as 2 points going the other way.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 08:38 PM
yup, totally agree, and what's worse instead of cutting toward the goal, or going to set a pick, we just take another step out and out and out. Good def will jump that.

rock on sooner
1/4/2016, 08:59 PM
Rain the three...rain the three...rain the three...

Heild, Cousins, Woodard, Spangler then Spangler and
Lattin on the boards...Lattin and Manyang block the shots
and rain the threes. Walker can do it, too.
Hmmmm, lessee, the game plan is to rain the threes...
did I mention that? BOOMER!

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 09:04 PM
lol...yes. I just hope IF (actually WHEN) we have a drought we are able to withstand it and keep it close. ku can get on a roll.

The good is we have 4 veterans that have been there...more than once. I've been to an OU game there...years ago with Kevin Bookout, we were up by 10 at half then lost by 10+ I believe. It is an awesome place to play ball. Course that was KS team that hated to score! LOL

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 09:13 PM
tight first few possessions..

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 09:27 PM
ku packing it in...forcing the 3 and we are not hitting them.

just standing around waiting for Buddy to score.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 09:47 PM
man, 24%

Getting no help besides Buddy. Woodard passing up open 3's..maybe Cousin's will turn it on after half. At least we are not in deep foul trouble.

Jacie
1/4/2016, 10:01 PM
After a half, OU 44 KU 40

Sooners took 15 free throws, Jayhawks 1

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 10:25 PM
we drove they shot 3's...and made them..lol.

I hope we have enough in tank to finish. Got to play smart though

Blue
1/4/2016, 10:30 PM
Love the way lattin and Spangler are playing.

Pick it up Isaiah!!!

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 10:36 PM
%uck...

Blue
Is this where the refs take over?

Never feel good about the refs here. They call such bs.

Soonerjeepman
Love the way lattin and Spangler are playing.

Pick it up Isaiah!!!

cousins playing like ****..

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 10:37 PM
Is this where the refs take over?

Never feel good about the refs here. They call such bs.

yup...but we also are playing like $hit. bad passes, stopped driving to the hole,

Blue
1/4/2016, 10:44 PM
I think we are playing damn good considering the environment. Thrilled to be up 8. Now if Cousins can start hitting we can run away.

Props to Jordan Woodard for figuring his shot out. Hes been deadly this year.

Blue
1/4/2016, 10:51 PM
More KU bull****.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 10:52 PM
well damn...too much one on 5

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 10:53 PM
I guess I disagree, it isn't ku bullcrap, it's OU not playing well.

expect spang to foul out though. with no ku fouling out

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 10:56 PM
cousins...UGHHHH

Blue
They are so lucky and we play so dumb sometimes.

Soonerjeepman
lol..jeeze we shi% on ourselves...

JLEW1818
Cousins is just awful.
Not sure what he's suppose to be good at.

Blue
1/4/2016, 10:57 PM
Sometimes he plays like Lebron...sometimes hes a non factor like tonight.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 10:58 PM
They are so lucky and we play so dumb sometimes.

yup

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:00 PM
Sometimes he plays like Lebron...sometimes hes a non factor like tonight.

well, I wouldn't say Lebron, but he's def a much better player than tonight...ah well. Buddy TRIPLE teamed and we stand around.

nice shot cousins...geeze

Blue
1/4/2016, 11:02 PM
Jay Wood!!!!! fer 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:02 PM
well, OU played like **** really and it's a close game...just imagine IF OU actually played well..lol.

Blue
1/4/2016, 11:03 PM
We need one more big shot.

Blue
1/4/2016, 11:04 PM
Damn.

JLEW1818
1/4/2016, 11:05 PM
**** Bill Self

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:06 PM
well, it was a "good" game. No doubt we get them in Norman.

Blue
1/4/2016, 11:07 PM
Whoa!!!! What a bad call but well take it.

Blue
1/4/2016, 11:08 PM
Good call but hard to call w two seconds left.

Blue
1/4/2016, 11:10 PM
Geeeeez!!!!!!!

OT. Lets Go!!!

JLEW1818
1/4/2016, 11:10 PM
"Free throws"

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:18 PM
ugh...c'mon OU..

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:19 PM
Good call but hard to call w two seconds left.

prob was foul on Lattin on drove, but we've been screwed before...yes, it was over the back.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:21 PM
well *uck.

good game, get em in Norman.

JLEW1818
1/4/2016, 11:24 PM
Played with a bunch of heart.
Had them beat so many times and just needed a good stop

Blue
1/4/2016, 11:24 PM
Need a stop. Sooner Magic baby.

Blue
1/4/2016, 11:27 PM
Woooo. 2OT.

JLEW1818
1/4/2016, 11:29 PM
i know they are #1, but the no box out and missed free throw gets me

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:33 PM
i know they are #1, but the no box out and missed free throw gets me

yup, up 2...that wasn't good.

I keep being negative nancy thinking that will sway the bball gods! lol

Blue
1/4/2016, 11:34 PM
Was behind. Caught up on my dvr. Ha. Thought we lost lookin at yalls posts.

Blue
1/4/2016, 11:37 PM
Whoa. Hield needs to take over here.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:39 PM
lol...yeah it looked bad early...unbelievable comeback in the first half

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:42 PM
can we pull it off?

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:45 PM
I'm thinking it's over...

JLEW1818
1/4/2016, 11:46 PM
Win or lose.
A loss means really nothing on our record for the tourney

JLEW1818
1/4/2016, 11:51 PM
Lattin try's hard but geez dude. Come on.

JLEW1818
1/4/2016, 11:53 PM
WHY CANT WE JUST ****ING FINISH DAMMIT

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:55 PM
well, fitting ending...this is it, either way.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:56 PM
Win or lose.
A loss means really nothing on our record for the tourney

yup but damn I HATE ku

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 11:57 PM
well damn...

here it comes...all about ku SHUT THE %UCK vital...

Blue
1/5/2016, 12:04 AM
Great freakin game. Sucks to lose but we just garnered a lot of national respect. I see a one or two seed in our future if we keep it up.

winout
1/5/2016, 12:10 AM
How do you get to be a legendary team with only 3 NCs?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/5/2016, 12:22 AM
Great freakin game. Sucks to lose but we just garnered a lot of national respect. I see a one or two seed in our future if we keep it up.

Going to Ames is no bargain, nor is that trip to Morgantown so we might drop a few games but this team is the first team in a while that I think could win it all. Love the way this team plays.

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2016, 12:27 AM
as bad as you guys in okla think osu is, ku is worse up here.

was texting a guy I know...I admitted to bad calls, told him we were playing horrible due to ku's defense...all he comes back with is horrible call, another horrible call...what a jackass.

Cousins played like **** and we lose by 3. IF we can get all 3 guards rolling we could go a ways. We'll drop unless Maryland and Virgina lost as well.

Like isu said, it's a long haul.

I'd rather had beaten ku twice and give a loss to tt or tcu...damn, damn, damn.

Night

hawaii 5-0
1/5/2016, 12:38 AM
Well now, that was sure exhausting.

After the 1st overtime I woulda been OK with either team winning they were both playinging their hearts out.

Kinda wished Lattin had made a free throw in regulation with 2 seconds left, but there were missed shots (and made shots) all over the court. I knew we were in trouble when the shots hit the front of the rim in OT's. A sure sign of getting tired. I remember playing and trying to make free throws late in the game when my arms felt like noodles. Still, the Sooners sucked it up and played very tough thru 3 OTs. They just came up a little short.

It's taken a lot of effort to keep down the bile in my throat as my least favorite announcer and my least favorite color guy were calling the game. Gawd, I hate those two, individually and especially when they're both there.

Regardless, great effort Sooners.

5-0

Boomer.....
1/5/2016, 09:24 AM
Easily one of the best basketball games that I have ever watched! The players fought so hard and were running on fumes, but sadly came up just a little short. We had a great showing in front of a huge national crowd and shouldn't drop much in the polls.

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2016, 10:02 AM
It's taken a lot of effort to keep down the bile in my throat as my least favorite announcer and my least favorite color guy were calling the game. Gawd, I hate those two, individually and especially when they're both there.

Regardless, great effort Sooners.

5-0

yup those guys are jackwagons...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2016, 01:14 PM
Lon teaches a fan and player friendly type of basketball - basically one on one with a pick and roll being as advanced as the offense gets. However, it is incredibly frustrating when we need a basket to not have at least some kind of off-ball screening to free up your shooters in your hip pocket. There were a couple of possessions in OT where we went 1 on 1 for 30 seconds without a single pass and forced up a bad shot.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/5/2016, 01:22 PM
Easily one of the best basketball games that I have ever watched! The players fought so hard and were running on fumes, but sadly came up just a little short. We had a great showing in front of a huge national crowd and shouldn't drop much in the polls.

One loss and in 3 OT to the #1 team. I don't see why OU should drop in the polls unless you mean dropping to #2 in the coaches poll.

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2016, 02:25 PM
Lon teaches a fan and player friendly type of basketball - basically one on one with a pick and roll being as advanced as the offense gets. However, it is incredibly frustrating when we need a basket to not have at least some kind of off-ball screening to free up your shooters in your hip pocket. There were a couple of possessions in OT where we went 1 on 1 for 30 seconds without a single pass and forced up a bad shot.

very frustrating...several times everyone but the guy with the ball just stood around. I know they were exhausted, but still have to do something.

Event he OOB play...YES the ku guard should have been whistled for violating the space, BUT all Walker? or Cousins did was put one arm out...jab and cut..MOVE.

Ah well, I think we get them in Norman and honestly we still can win the Big 12

FaninAma
1/5/2016, 02:26 PM

i wondered why OU wasn't setting multiple screens to get Buddy open. Even if somebody came off of their man it would open somebody else up for an open shot. Buddy made a few bad passes down the stretchon the kickouts but he played a great game and was probably exhausted in the 3rd OT. BTW, when KU stole the inbounds pass it was obivous the inbounds defender stepped over the line and tounched Buddy as he was trying to pass the ball in.

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2016, 03:05 PM
i when KU stole the inbounds pass it was obivous the inbounds defender stepped over the line and tounched Buddy as he was trying to pass the ball in.

he basically admitted this in post game. Said the ref told him to give him 3 FEET...he backed up then moved back in...guess that's a smart play..puts it on the official to make the call, which he didn't. ESPN, even showed the guard hitting Buddy's arm...basically taking the ball out of his hands.

For all the *itching my ku friend did about FT the first half were negated in the OT, ku shot 17 to OU's 2. ku was 18/23 OU was 18/24

Ton Loc
1/5/2016, 03:10 PM
he basically admitted this in post game. Said the ref told him to give him 3 FEET...he backed up then moved back in...guess that's a smart play..puts it on the official to make the call, which he didn't. ESPN, even showed the guard hitting Buddy's arm...basically taking the ball out of his hands.

For all the *itching my ku friend did about FT the first half were negated in the OT, ku shot 17 to OU's 2. ku was 18/23 OU was 18/24

That play pissed me off. Neither announcer said anything. True, we could do better to get open but that was ridiculous.

rock on sooner
1/5/2016, 03:21 PM
As to Vitale and Musberger, I'd rather have Nance and his sidekick
every time. For Buddy, man, hats off...great game..I think he played
54 of the 55 minutes plus having gone to max against ISU. I feel good
that we' can get KU in Norman AND in the tourney. KU is vulnerable to
ISU and WV, maybe Baylor in Waco. KU is just dayum hard to beat in
Allen Fieldhouse....the crowd reminded me of the Cameron Crazies.

Having said all that, has Ellis been at KU six or seven years now?

SoonerMarkVA
1/5/2016, 04:25 PM
Man am I sick of losing in Lawrence. This was our best chance for the foreseeable future. That monkey on the back has grown into a gorilla!

Soonerjeepman
1/5/2016, 04:47 PM
That play pissed me off. Neither announcer said anything. True, we could do better to get open but that was ridiculous.

I had several guys text me...calling foul or illegal guarding...course the refs didn't call it. Espn after the game said it should have been called.

Yes Buddy played his a$$ off, I just get no satisfaction from that game, EXCEPT knowing we CAN beat them..and will.

I'd say WV, ISU, OU, KU...heck even BU, KSU, TT could sneak up and get a win they shouldn't. UT, TCU and OSU will be the bottom guys.

SoonerorLater
1/5/2016, 07:08 PM

I have wondered that myself. I think the main reason is that they just don't practice running set play off-ball screens given their offense. When executed well it can result in some good open looks. Ray Allen made 20 year NBA career moving without the ball.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/5/2016, 08:28 PM
I have wondered that myself. I think the main reason is that they just don't practice running set play off-ball screens given their offense. When executed well it can result in some good open looks. Ray Allen made 20 year NBA career moving without the ball.

Like I said, it is very player friendly. It teaches them to make contested looks which is very good for them if they want to make it at the next level. My point wasn't that we make it our core offense, it was that we have 1 or 2 plays a game where we absolutely NEED an open look and we have no sets that get us that open look. An example would be that double screen that Kansas had at the end of OT 2. Just one or 2 of those set plays like that would help us to not blow 10 point leads when we miss some contested jumpers.

Soonerjeepman
1/6/2016, 11:17 AM
looking at the "3 feet" rule...

there actually isn't any rule BUT the player is allowed to back up, unfortunately there is no space there, at least not 3 feet, so USUALLY the ref has the def back off a bit.

Bottom line is great movement by Mason, Hield probably thought he'd just stand there and put his arms up. More tired than not...