PDA

View Full Version : Big XII additions, I present two.

winout
1/4/2016, 12:07 PM
If you want to add to the XII you have to look at major institutions in traditional football areas. Forget the BYU's of the world, not enough people and TVs. There are no major schools left west of us worth pursuing. Forget Texas, too much demand there already. Look to the SE and look for any state school that is not already taken. I present two.

The University of Central Florida is an American public research university in Orlando, Florida. It is the largest university in the United States by undergraduate enrollment. They just hired Scott Frost, former Duck OC, as their coach and appear to be committed to football.

Georgia Southern University is a public research university located on a 900-acre (3.6 km2) campus in Statesboro, Georgia, United States.[3] Founded in 1906, it is part of the University System of Georgia and is the largest center of higher education in the southern half of Georgia.

These would provide natural rivals to WV, location wise.

I would submit that the XII go after these schools, take TV money and help them build larger stadiums.

BetterSoonerThanLater
1/4/2016, 12:54 PM
who?

exactly.

:)

swardboy
1/4/2016, 01:02 PM
GSU's stadium only seats 25,000. Statesboro, GA only has 28,000 population. Trade them for USF in Tampa, with a 65,000 seat stadium and we'd rule Florida!

SoonerMarkVA
1/4/2016, 01:17 PM
GSU's stadium only seats 25,000. Statesboro, GA only has 28,000 population. Trade them for USF in Tampa, with a 65,000 seat stadium and we'd rule Florida!

Yeah, I must admit, if we have to expand, I like this idea the best.

Getting those two schools into the XII could catapult them, maybe not as stratospherically but similar to U of M, who was pretty much nothing before the 80s. Florida is certainly a prize state to get a foothold into for the conference.

Honestly, my first choice is for OU to bolt this loser and get into the SEC. Short of that, though, I guess this would be the best of the not nearly as interesting options.

winout
1/4/2016, 01:26 PM
USF and Fl Atlantic are two viable other options. You really just need schools that are committed to building their program. The higher the attendance the more alumni they have and the better chance of raising funds to build the program needed.

I think the SEC is gone unless they want to build a super-conference. I like this option better and think we can compete with the right additions.

SoonerMarkVA
1/4/2016, 03:30 PM
USF and Fl Atlantic are two viable other options. You really just need schools that are committed to building their program. The higher the attendance the more alumni they have and the better chance of raising funds to build the program needed.

I think the SEC is gone unless they want to build a super-conference. I like this option better and think we can compete with the right additions.

Frankly, I assume that's where this ends up.

4 super conferences, with 8-team divisions.

Conference championship between divisions becomes the "round of 8".

Then the 4-team playoff is the winner of each super conference.

XII and ACC were in the battle for that 4th spot, and I believe the ACC won by securing the relationship with ND and the other acquisitions it made. If we could have poached FSU and Clemson, that likely would have tipped the balance. But we balked and/or otherwise faltered, while the ACC struck.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 03:38 PM
Houston

fball 13-1 beat 4 ranked teams (UCF included)
bball 12-2 beat lsu, USF, Wyoming, Temple

I KNOW, it's ANOTHER Texas school...guess what we get a ton of recruits from Texas...just like everyone thought bu and tcu would be pushovers in conf..Houston will compete.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/4/2016, 04:01 PM
Georgia Southern? No way!

tycat947
1/4/2016, 04:19 PM
Houston

fball 13-1 beat 4 ranked teams (UCF included)
bball 12-2 beat lsu, USF, Wyoming, Temple

I KNOW, it's ANOTHER Texas school...guess what we get a ton of recruits from Texas...just like everyone thought bu and tcu would be pushovers in conf..Houston will compete.

We have enough competition. We need new population areas (maybe!) and Cougar High is not it! We have 2 too many TX schools already! NO MORE! We need schools/states that will add to Big 12 viewing range. TCU and Hypocrite U add almost nothing to TV viewership, thus added money to the conference. TCU and Hypocrite U are just sucking onto the Big 12 and drawing a huge paycheck. Two smallest stadiums in Big 12 AND this is after all their so called success and renovation/expansion. They could be 12-0 or 0-12 and it wouldn't affect TV viewership. IF we are to expand we need the POTENTIAL for increased viewership. UCF or USF have more potential than most anyone available but large enrollment isn't everything! University of Phoenix has 213,000 students! We should add them and have them start a football program! They already have stadium!

winout
1/4/2016, 04:45 PM
Georgia Southern? No way!

Can you recommend anyone else? USF valid?

swardboy
1/4/2016, 05:39 PM
University of Phoenix has 213,000 students! We should add them and have them start a football program! They already have stadium!

Bwahahahaha....spek.

Eielson
1/4/2016, 06:01 PM
I've been saying we should be eyeing USF and UCF for a while, but then everybody comes out and tells me I'm an idiot.

SoonerorLater
1/4/2016, 07:22 PM
The idea that adding schools like USF and UCF will somehow open new recruiting avenues in a meaningful way for existing Big 12 schools is mostly wishful thinking. I hate the thought of bringing commuter schools and directional schools on board. Just can't see how this would in any way help the already diminished luster of the Big 12. There isn't one school that is available east of the Mississippi that brings much prestige or value (as a potential P5 program) to the table. In the east maybe we could add Cincinnati and Memphis and hold our noses. At least the Big 12 would enhance their status as a basketball conference.

If the Big 12 expands I would hope they go West but that isn't likely.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 08:07 PM
wow...ucf and usf....geeze

I'd rather join the sec.

tycat947
1/4/2016, 08:22 PM
The idea that adding schools like USF and UCF will somehow open new recruiting avenues in a meaningful way for existing Big 12 schools is mostly wishful thinking. I hate the thought of bringing commuter schools and directional schools on board. Just can't see how this would in any way help the already diminished luster of the Big 12. There isn't one school that is available east of the Mississippi that brings much prestige or value (as a potential P5 program) to the table. In the east maybe we could add Cincinnati and Memphis and hold our noses. At least the Big 12 would enhance their status as a basketball conference.

If the Big 12 expands I would hope they go West but that isn't likely.

There isn't one school PERIOD! Until the NCAA decides that the playoff is going to be 4 conference champions, there is no reason to do anything. OU is going to schedule (out of conference) to give them strength of schedule to compete for the playoff every year. UH and Ohio State next year? That's more than enough. We will take care of ourselves. Adding a Memphis, UCF, USF, etc, is not going to help Big 12 in any significant way. The playoff committee originally said they were going to take the 4 BEST teams. Now, after 2 years, they are saying they are going to take 4 conference champions. If we are Big 12 champs, with our out of conference schedule, we'll make the playoff way more than not IMO.

Soonerjeepman
1/4/2016, 08:36 PM
well, thank the good Lord bu, tcu and wv won their bowl games. I don't know how IF the big 12 had gone 1-6 that being "Big 12 Champ" would mean jack. Sorry, just my opinion. Ya know the other 4 power conf would be lobbying big time to cut the big 12 out, hell they did it this year.

I think eventually it'll be 4 major conf, 16 teams each...some day.

WA. Sooner
1/5/2016, 12:07 AM
Army
Navy

ObiKaTony
1/5/2016, 12:26 AM
OU needs to prepare to leave the big 12 ...

ObiKaTony
1/5/2016, 12:43 AM
I present those 2 show just how shi$$y the big 12 is. OU needs to get the hell out

Tear Down This Wall
1/5/2016, 03:00 AM
OU needs to prepare to leave the big 12 ...

This. At this point, as watered down as the Big 12 has become, I'd go anywhere else: ACC, Pac-12, or Big 10. It doesn't matter anymore.

I had arguments against all three at one time. But, all arguments are gone now that TCU and West Virginia are here, and the possibility of having Houston and one of the Florida startups in the conference is real. I could never have imagined how far down the totem pole OU and Texas would go to control the pie. It's disgusting to watch it unfold.

We've got people excited about possibly being in a conference with the likes of Houston, Florida Atlantic, Central Florida, South Florida, etc. It's truly pathetic.

Stop fighting a abandon the ship. Choice #1: Pac-12, followed by ACC, then Big 10. I no longer care about the travel or game times. Just get us out.

SoonerMarkVA
1/5/2016, 09:29 AM
I've been saying we should be eyeing USF and UCF for a while, but then everybody comes out and tells me I'm an idiot.

Not I. I agree that's our best approach, *if* we choose to expand.

The idea that adding schools like USF and UCF will somehow open new recruiting avenues in a meaningful way for existing Big 12 schools is mostly wishful thinking.

I think some would have made that same argument about bringing in U of M before the 80s. Florida has huge potential to support multiple strong teams. It may or may not work, but it seems like our best bet. And I don't understand the reasoning that it would not open up recruiting avenues, particularly if those schools do get a boost from being in a P5 conference.

winout
1/5/2016, 10:04 AM
This. At this point, as watered down as the Big 12 has become, I'd go anywhere else: ACC, Pac-12, or Big 10. It doesn't matter anymore.

I had arguments against all three at one time. But, all arguments are gone now that TCU and West Virginia are here, and the possibility of having Houston and one of the Florida startups in the conference is real. I could never have imagined how far down the totem pole OU and Texas would go to control the pie. It's disgusting to watch it unfold.

We've got people excited about possibly being in a conference with the likes of Houston, Florida Atlantic, Central Florida, South Florida, etc. It's truly pathetic.

Stop fighting a abandon the ship. Choice #1: Pac-12, followed by ACC, then Big 10. I no longer care about the travel or game times. Just get us out.

Please get over this Pac12 fascination... never ever ever going to happen unless Texas wants us along for the ride. Texas, in reality, is the cause of the demise of the XII. Pac 12 people disdain "flyover" people, believe me, I live out here. Just listen to Cowherd, he moves out west and now Standford is an all-time great team. They lost to NWestern (and Oregon) and Oregon lost to MSU but Standford "deserved" to be in the CFP. Most people in the west have not traveled outside of their state and do not think they need to. Look at the disdain Cali posters have on this board and LT.

I think it's the same for the other two conferences you mentioned.

I think the only way to grow is kick Texas out, add three more in the South and become united as a conference. Everyone wants a quick solution but that isn't going to happen. The phrase "If you don't like the news, write your own headlines" comes to mind.

BTW, I know it's spelled Stanford.

tycat947
1/5/2016, 10:36 AM
well, thank the good Lord bu, tcu and wv won their bowl games. I don't know how IF the big 12 had gone 1-6 that being "Big 12 Champ" would mean jack. Sorry, just my opinion. Ya know the other 4 power conf would be lobbying big time to cut the big 12 out, hell they did it this year.

I think eventually it'll be 4 major conf, 16 teams each...some day.

Until this happens, and it may very well happen, we should just stay put. We're receiving just as much money, or more (including tier 3 rights), than about any other school. And we'll take care of our own scheduling to make sure we are in line for playoff spot with one loss or less. When it evolves that there will be 4 conferences, the other conferences will be begging (and bidding) for Sooners to join. No one will be more valuable (except whorns but without their baggage!) and add more value to that conference than OU!

tycat947
1/5/2016, 10:48 AM
Please get over this Pac12 fascination... never ever ever going to happen unless Texas wants us along for the ride. Texas, in reality, is the cause of the demise of the XII. Pac 12 people disdain "flyover" people, believe me, I live out here. Just listen to Cowherd, he moves out west and now Standford is an all-time great team. They lost to NWestern (and Oregon) and Oregon lost to MSU but Standford "deserved" to be in the CFP. Most people in the west have not traveled outside of their state and do not think they need to. Look at the disdain Cali posters have on this board and LT.

I think the only way to grow is kick Texas out, add three more in the South and become united as a conference. Everyone wants a quick solution but that isn't going to happen. The phrase "If you don't like the news, write your own headlines" comes to mind.

I'm not so sure about PAC12. They need some exposure in a time zone east of PST and MST. Sure, they have the people, but they don't have the interest. Their conference network isn't as successful as they'd hoped and OU would give instant credibility and instantly be the #1 football program in PAC12. I think in hindsight they know they should have accepted OU (even with ostate) the first time. OUr academics are better than half of PAC12 institutions now (both AZ schools, Utah, both OR schools and Wazzu are rated below OU in USNWR ratings). My greatest pleasure in moving to another conference would be to see the facade of Hypocrite U come tumbling down!

SoonerMarkVA
1/5/2016, 11:10 AM
Until this happens, and it may very well happen, we should just stay put. We're receiving just as much money, or more (including tier 3 rights), than about any other school. And we'll take care of our own scheduling to make sure we are in line for playoff spot with one loss or less. When it evolves that there will be 4 conferences, the other conferences will be begging (and bidding) for Sooners to join. No one will be more valuable (except whorns but without their baggage!) and add more value to that conference than OU!

True. As long as we don't collapse in the meantime.

The headwinds against maintaining an elite program in the XII grow stronger each year. Heck, it may already not be possible. We may get to the day when any XII school save perhaps ut won't be able to crack the top 20 in recruiting classes.

If we're talking <=5 years, I think you're right. If we get to >5 years, it starts to get rather uncomfortable to project.

Sooner in Tampa
1/5/2016, 11:20 AM
I have wanted USF in the Big XII for my own selfish reason for years. Coach Taggert does seem to have the team moving in an upward direction and they play at Raymond James Stadium. USF is obviously in the top tier...but neither was TCU when they joined the league. Playing in Tampa every other year would certainly yield some more kids like Eric Striker (Armwood HS consistently puts multiple kids in D-1 top tier programs).

UCF...ugh...they didn't win a single game this year, but they did hire Frost and that seems to be a home run hire by all accounts.

winout
1/5/2016, 11:30 AM
You can sit around and see if you'll get invited by some other conference (like an old maid) or go make your own better now. C'mon, we're Sooners, we don't wait for others!

Rather than Ga. Southern, GSU would probably be preferable.

Georgia State University (GSU) is a public research university in downtown Atlanta, Georgia, United States. Founded in 1913, it is one of the University System of Georgia's four research universities. It has a student population of 32,022, including 24,096 undergraduates

tycat947
1/5/2016, 11:50 AM
True. As long as we don't collapse in the meantime.

The headwinds against maintaining an elite program in the XII grow stronger each year. Heck, it may already not be possible. We may get to the day when any XII school save perhaps ut won't be able to crack the top 20 in recruiting classes.

If we're talking <=5 years, I think you're right. If we get to >5 years, it starts to get rather uncomfortable to project.

We have over 100 years of history! Fewer losing seasons than ANYONE! It's not going to be dependent on who is in Top 5 that year, or for a few years, but the strength of the program. Hypocrite U is at the top of their game now! Who is knocking down their door trying to entice them to join their conference??? NO ONE!

Recruiting class ratings? Seriously???

SoonerMarkVA
1/5/2016, 01:02 PM
We have over 100 years of history! Fewer losing seasons than ANYONE! It's not going to be dependent on who is in Top 5 that year, or for a few years, but the strength of the program. Hypocrite U is at the top of their game now! Who is knocking down their door trying to entice them to join their conference??? NO ONE!

Recruiting class ratings? Seriously???

I hate to point this out, but no one is knocking down our door or trying to entice us, either. The XII isn't doing any of its members any favors individually.

And I have to say, you're the first person I've seen who isn't worried about recruiting. And don't get semantic about how you put no stock in how recruiting classes are ranked. I'm not talking about hand-waving "star" counts. I'm making the direct point that our recruiting suffers due to our conference affiliation, and will continue to get harder as time goes on and the XII atrophies.

Tear Down This Wall
1/5/2016, 01:22 PM

My dear boy, I do not have a "fascination" with the Pac-12. I was vehemently against it in 2011. That is well documented. What I wanted was for us to go to the SEC; also well documented.

Now, times have changed, the conference is sinking, and the best landing place for us of the three conferences that will survives any mass conglomeration of the power conferences is the Pac-12. I look at them as the best of the worst.

Also, you are dreaming of anyone "kicking Texas out." Texas, for better or worse, controls the fate of the conference. We pretend to be hanging in there with them. But, as we saw in 2011, the Pac-12 told us, "No thanks" without Texas.

When Texas does jump ship, we will have to jump with them or be stuck in an even further watered down conference. The Big 12 risks being like the old football Big East - taking on schools simply for the sake of having more members. It didn't work for the Big East, and won't work for the Big 12.

Competition is ultimately the key. The competitiveness of the conference continues to sink. We need out. The sooner the better. Only viable options are Pac-12, ACC, and Big Ten. If, and when, we jump, that is my order of preference; but, I have a fascination with none of them.

winout
1/5/2016, 01:23 PM
Don't you think a yearly trip to either Tampa/Central FL or Atlanta would get us some needed press in that part of the country? Throw some money toward the new athletic departments to build their facilities and grow some rivalries. What is the downside?

ddub0224
1/5/2016, 01:28 PM
Hey tycat947, did you get dumped by a Baylor girl or something? What is your obsession with them? Regardless of whatever the post is about (OU) you find a way to bring in "hypocrite u". That amount of animosity can't be healthy man!

ddub0224
1/5/2016, 01:33 PM
Can someone explain to me how we will open a recruiting pipeline by adding directional Florida schools? So we'll starting stealing 4 and 5 star recruits from the SEC or ACC who would rather play in the Big 12 because they'll get to play 1 game a year back in their home state (as a visitor)?

tycat947
1/5/2016, 01:45 PM
I hate to point this out, but no one is knocking down our door or trying to entice us, either. The XII isn't doing any of its members any favors individually.

And I have to say, you're the first person I've seen who isn't worried about recruiting. And don't get semantic about how you put no stock in how recruiting classes are ranked. I'm not talking about hand-waving "star" counts. I'm making the direct point that our recruiting suffers due to our conference affiliation, and will continue to get harder as time goes on and the XII atrophies.

No one is knocking down doors for anyone because of GOR. If Big 12 collapsed, the the other 4 conferences would be on the phone in a heartbeat to Norman and Austin. Hypocrite U would be at the bottom and not receive a call.

Tell me again how all those Texas recruiting championships helped the whorns get to where they are today? How did the great Oregon recruiting help them lose a 31 pt halftime lead to a Big 12 TCU depleted squad?

tycat947
1/5/2016, 01:49 PM
Hey tycat947, did you get dumped by a Baylor girl or something? What is your obsession with them? Regardless of whatever the post is about (OU) you find a way to bring in "hypocrite u". That amount of animosity can't be healthy man!

No obsession at all. Just calling out that hypocritical institution at every chance. No other Big 12 school is even close to fitting that description.

winout
1/5/2016, 01:54 PM
Can someone explain to me how we will open a recruiting pipeline by adding directional Florida schools? So we'll starting stealing 4 and 5 star recruits from the SEC or ACC who would rather play in the Big 12 because they'll get to play 1 game a year back in their home state (as a visitor)?

Lost of guys come here with nearly zero chance to play at their home field. Striker, Mixon, Stills, Murray and Jefferson just to name a few. We need to expand our recruiting base because the SEC has expanded into Texas.

ddub0224
1/5/2016, 02:28 PM
Lost of guys come here with nearly zero chance to play at their home field. Striker, Mixon, Stills, Murray and Jefferson just to name a few. We need to expand our recruiting base because the SEC has expanded into Texas.

Sorry, just not buying it. Can't see how adding a directional Florida school is going to tip a youngster into choosing OU over an SEC school. When a kid leaves his home state to play across the country it is to play for that university. If we want to beef up recruiting, we need to start winning more games...not adding smaller (success, not enrollment) schools sporadically around the country.

SoonerorLater
1/5/2016, 03:22 PM
My preference would be to move to another conference when the opportunity presents itself. As far as expanding, unless we are talking about adding teams like The University of xxxxxx or xxxxxx State University then we should stand pat. Any schools that are added need to, in and of themselves, add to the prestige of the conference not added just because of the television market where they are located.

Tear Down This Wall
1/5/2016, 05:12 PM
Don't you think a yearly trip to either Tampa/Central FL or Atlanta would get us some needed press in that part of the country? Throw some money toward the new athletic departments to build their facilities and grow some rivalries. What is the downside?

We don't get bad press in any part of the country - we are Oklahoma. We made the playoff this year with the same record rejected Baylor had year: and, our loss this year was to a team with a record worse than the one that beat Baylor!

Respect and press isn't our problem. Our problem is that the conference is becoming C-USA II/SWC Re-treads.

I've got no problem vacationing in Florida. However, I've also got no problem vacationing in Cali, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington. Also, I've got no problem with road trips down along the Eastern seaboard and Southern states of the ACC.

I have little interest in visiting much of Big Ten territory. But...I'd take even the Big Ten over what the Big 12 has become. Schools with long football and basketball traditions interest me far more than Florida startups and TCU, Houston, and the like.

swardboy
1/5/2016, 09:53 PM
UConn?

Conference Realignment: Big 12 Expansion and Why UConn has a Shot

By Aman Kidwai (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Aman%20Kidwai)  @TheUConnBlog (http://twitter.com/TheUConnBlog) on Jan 4, 2016, 9:19a 49 (http://www.theuconnblog.com/2016/1/4/10682504/on-potential-big-12-expansion-and-what-it-would-mean-for-uconn#comments)

Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports
Conference realignment discussions can quickly devolve into meaningless rumor milling and speculation. But recent events suggest a shift may be imminent. Can UConn snag a spot if conferences start playing musical chairs again?

Since the last round of conference realignment left UConn in the American Athletic Conference, speculation has run rampant about the long-term future of the Husky athletic department.
Would it decline as revenue lagged behind the "Power-5" conferences? Should the basketball team find a way to move to the Big East? When will the ACC/Big Ten/SEC/Big 12 come calling?

It was mostly pure speculation until this past offseason, when we learned the Big 12 would not need to dilute the per-school share from its television contract (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/6/26/8846289/big-12-conference-expansion-realignment-revenue) if it expanded. The sharing of the TV money is a huge hurdle to expansion for any conference, as its leadership would have to believe the gains for the next deal would outweigh the short-term loss. As Pete Thamel of Campus Rush said in a report last week (http://www.campusrush.com/big-12-conference-questions-future-expansion-1528668401.html), "if there were obvious and lucrative ways to expand the league and enhance revenue, the Big 12 would have taken those steps long ago."

But now their hand may be forced by the lack of a conference championship game. NCAA rules require a conference to have 12 members to hold a championship game in football. The Big 12 only has 10 following the recent departures of Missouri and Texas A&M. From 1996 to 2010, the conference played a championship game sponsored by Dr. Pepper and broadcast on ABC. The game has taken place in multiple NFL stadiums, including Arrowhead Stadium, AT&T Stadium, Texas Stadium and NRG Stadium. The ACC, Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12 all have conference championship games.

Whereas the ACC and Big Ten are unlikely to consider expansion anytime soon, if at all, the Big 12 has reasonable motivation to add to its ranks. So prepare yourself for rumors, fiery hot takes and speculation this offseason.

Thamel, who has credibility in matters of the Big 12 and conference realignment, spoke to a number of sources and offered a few thoughts about where UConn stands in the article linked above:
UConn came up in a surprising number of conversations considering its geography, lack of relevant football history and void of local recruiting. UConn would be attractive in a scenario in which the league adds a cable network, as it theoretically could bring a lot of eyeballs in the Northeast. The strong academics and basketball program would also be assets, as would the notion of the Big 12 adding a flagship state school. But if the conversation inevitably turns back to football, UConn wouldn't cut it.

For whatever it's worth, Thamel listed UConn third after the two top candidates: Brigham Young and Cincinnati. UC seems like the safest bet right now, but BYU may not have enough mutual interest from the Big 12 for a variety of reasons. I was also surprised by Temple's absence from Thamel's list and to see that the Florida schools are not in the picture.

It may seem as though UConn is not an ideal fit for the Big 12, and it probably isn't. But it does offer one of the best overall packages (quality of athletics, TV markets, academic reputation) of the schools available, and that may supersede geographic convenience.

But if the Big 12 is only adding two, UConn's chances may not be great.

The possibility also exists that it decides to expand to 14. In this scenario, UConn's chances improve dramatically, as the additional schools joining can mitigate the geography issue and the value of UConn's strong northeast presence may hold more significance.

Here are the key dates and conversations which will dictate the Big 12's offseason plans. Feel free to share your thoughts, predictions and/or conspiracy theories in the comments!
1. NCAA Convention, Jan 14-16

This is when the NCAA will vote on the Big 12's appeal for an exception to have a conference championship game with only 10 teams. It appears the appeal will be denied (http://www.theuconnblog.com/2015/12/6/9859266/big-12-commissioner-bowlsby-hints-at-conference-expansion), in which case the Big 12 will almost definitely be looking to add at least two new members. Having a conference championship game represents earnings of roughly $2 million per year per school in addition to offering a marquee matchup to help the conference bid for a spot in the College Football Playoff.
2. Does the Big 12 start a TV Network?

If the conference is working towards building a television network, there may be signs from the media business newswire which precede any other news about actual expansion. A TV network increases the likelihood of the Big 12 expanding to 14, and with it UConn's chances of receiving an invite.
3. UConn's Involvement

UConn Report (https://connecticut.rivals.com/?), a really cool website that you should all subscribe to, reported weeks ago that preliminary conversations have taken place between UConn and the Big 12 (https://connecticut.forums.rivals.com/threads/on-the-big-12-potential-expansion-report.3239/). This information arrived before the news that the Big 12's championship game appeal was likely to be denied (http://www.theuconnblog.com/2015/12/6/9859266/big-12-commissioner-bowlsby-hints-at-conference-expansion).
If a P5 spot is up for grabs, regardless of how snug the fit is, UConn should be going after it. Simple as that. It looks like UConn's leadership appears to be somewhat ahead of the curve this time around, so that's good.
Plus, check out Susan putting the full-court press on Kansas State president Kirk Schulz while KSU was in town for a women's basketball game. Schulz was the head of the Big 12's expansion committee last time around.
4. If there is any expansion, will it be to 12 or 14?

If a TV network is in the works 14 makes the most sense. Having 14 teams also helps the Big 12 in its next round of TV rights negotiations with ESPN, but that isn't for a while.
Still, it may make sense to go to 14 no matter what to grow the conference's presence in more markets, add the best schools available, and better help West Virginia with its geographic isolation.

winout
1/5/2016, 10:11 PM
To the people of UConn: "you might say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/6/2016, 01:38 PM
To the people of UConn: "you might say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

UConn would be big for Men's basketball and huge for Women's basketball. I don't think they do that much for football or the athletic programs in general. I'm not saying they wouldn't work but far from a first choice.

It is too bad ND didn't get snubbed by the playoff committee this year because of no conference affiliation because that would be the best way to go.

Otherwise I concur that the Big 12 is on borrowed time.

badger
1/6/2016, 02:01 PM
Some schools are trying. Cincy, for example, just did a stadium renovation/expansion. Other viable options like BYU and ND just seem to be toying with the Big 12 while enjoying all the perks of being in a conference (i.e. pretending to be a Power 5 program) without the hassle of membership to one.

The only viable options are convincing members of bloated 14-team conferences that it would be better to be in a smaller conference once again. This could be achieved through two means:

1- A top team(s) that wants to be in the Big 12 instead
2- Top teams kicking out lesser conference members, leaving them searching for a new home.

That latter option seems more realistic. Who will the SEC, B1G, PAC or ACC kick out that could join the Big 12 afterward?

You got it: Ex-Big 12 members. Colorado sucks, Nebraska is no longer AAU and Missouri is hardly a southeastern state, let alone a Southeastern Conference-like program. All three act and play like outsiders and have ever since they switched conferences. About the only benefit to their current situation is that they are out of an unstable Big 12... but if they were to return, it would be more stable, yes?

Since Nebby, Weed Mountain and Safe Space No Media Allowed probably would not come unless their hand is forced, let us turn our attention instead to convincing the B1G, PAC and SEC to dump them :D

Okie35
1/6/2016, 02:30 PM
I want to get out of the league honestly

badger
1/6/2016, 03:20 PM
That's an added benefit to getting another Power 5 to kick members out, or convincing a current member to leave: Then there's a spot open for OU :D

ddub0224
1/7/2016, 02:32 PM
When has a Power 5 conference kicked a school out?

tycat947
1/7/2016, 03:21 PM
Some schools are trying. Cincy, for example, just did a stadium renovation/expansion. Other viable options like BYU and ND just seem to be toying with the Big 12 while enjoying all the perks of being in a conference (i.e. pretending to be a Power 5 program) without the hassle of membership to one.

The only viable options are convincing members of bloated 14-team conferences that it would be better to be in a smaller conference once again. This could be achieved through two means:

1- A top team(s) that wants to be in the Big 12 instead
2- Top teams kicking out lesser conference members, leaving them searching for a new home.

That latter option seems more realistic. Who will the SEC, B1G, PAC or ACC kick out that could join the Big 12 afterward?

You got it: Ex-Big 12 members. Colorado sucks, Nebraska is no longer AAU and Missouri is hardly a southeastern state, let alone a Southeastern Conference-like program. All three act and play like outsiders and have ever since they switched conferences. About the only benefit to their current situation is that they are out of an unstable Big 12... but if they were to return, it would be more stable, yes?

Since Nebby, Weed Mountain and Safe Space No Media Allowed probably would not come unless their hand is forced, let us turn our attention instead to convincing the B1G, PAC and SEC to dump them :D

I think some schools are begging! i.e. Brigham Young, Cincy, Memphis, Cougar High, etc. These schools provide absolutely NOTHING to make Big 12 better! In fact, they would weaken conference significantly. ND ain't going nowhere.

Why would Big 12 want (or need) another conference's rejects? We already have 4 Southwest Conf rejects!

tycat947
1/7/2016, 03:23 PM
When has a Power 5 conference kicked a school out?

Never! If it did, we'd have already kicked out Hypocrite U (deadweight)! :victorious:

ddub0224
1/7/2016, 03:58 PM
Never! If it did, we'd have already kicked out Hypocrite U (deadweight)! :victorious:

My point exactly. No one is leaving another Power 5 conference for the Big12 nor is anyone getting kicked out. All that talk is ridiculous.

And pretty sure Baylor is not dead weight when you look at the numbers. (sorry to ruin your fantasy about wiping them off the planet)

tycat947
1/7/2016, 11:48 PM
My point exactly. No one is leaving another Power 5 conference for the Big12 nor is anyone getting kicked out. All that talk is ridiculous.

And pretty sure Baylor is not dead weight when you look at the numbers. (sorry to ruin your fantasy about wiping them off the planet)

They were next to last in Ave Attendance in 2015. As far as TV viewers, they were probably in same position in spite of them having a good record for the team.

HOMEATTENDANCE TENDANCE
G Total Avg High
Baylor (45,000) 6 276,960 46,160 49,875
Iowa State (61,500) 6 339,113 56,518 61,500
Kansas (50,071) 7 190,972 27,282 37,798
K-State (50,000) 7 371,698 53,100 53,671
Oklahoma (82,112) 6 512,139 85,357 85,821
Oklahoma State (60,218) 7 403,677 57,668 59,486
TCU (45,000) 6 280,604 46,767 48,694
Texas (100,119) 6 540,210 90,035 94,299
Texas Tech (60,454) 6 338,042 56,340 61,283
West Virginia (60,000) 7 383,779 54,826 61,174
64 3,637,194 56,831 94,299

Sooner70
1/8/2016, 07:54 AM
University of Houston
BYU

swardboy
1/8/2016, 10:01 AM
They were next to last in Ave Attendance in 2015. As far as TV viewers, they were probably in same position in spite of them having a good record for the team.

HOMEATTENDANCE TENDANCE
G Total Avg High
Baylor (45,000) 6 276,960 46,160 49,875
Iowa State (61,500) 6 339,113 56,518 61,500
Kansas (50,071) 7 190,972 27,282 37,798
K-State (50,000) 7 371,698 53,100 53,671
Oklahoma (82,112) 6 512,139 85,357 85,821
Oklahoma State (60,218) 7 403,677 57,668 59,486
TCU (45,000) 6 280,604 46,767 48,694
Texas (100,119) 6 540,210 90,035 94,299
Texas Tech (60,454) 6 338,042 56,340 61,283
West Virginia (60,000) 7 383,779 54,826 61,174
64 3,637,194 56,831 94,299

Take OU and Texas out of that list and it's just a Mountain West conference AT BEST. We've got to come up with an exit plan 'cause this ship just isn't sailing no matter who we add.

tycat947
1/8/2016, 10:58 AM
Take OU and Texas out of that list and it's just a Mountain West conference AT BEST. We've got to come up with an exit plan 'cause this ship just isn't sailing no matter who we add.

Actually, you take OU and texas out, it's not too bad, except for KU. Big 12 is much higher than PAC12 and ACC. Here's clip from 2014 article:

Conference breakdown

SEC: Once again it led the country in attendance, averaging a record 78,018 fans. Aided by expanded stadiums and Tennessee's fan resurgence, the SEC was up 3 percent. Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky and Vanderbilt were the only SEC teams with a decrease.

Big Ten: Average attendance was 66,939, down from 70,431 last year. That's largely because of introducing Maryland and Rutgers attendance figures -- which are below most Big Ten schools -- into the conference average. Nine of the 14 Big Ten schools improved their crowds.

Big 12: There was a slight dip (1 percent) to 57,624 fans per game. Six of 10 Big 12 schools increased crowds. For the second straight year, the Big 12 had its smallest average since 2005.

Pac 12: Crowds dropped 2 percent to 52,758 and they are down 10 percent since peaking in 2007. Pac-12 attendance leader UCLA ranked 19th nationally. Only four of 12 conference schools had an increase: UCLA, Arizona, Utah and Washington State. A couple of schools' decreases were very minor.

ACC: This league again was last among Power Five schools at 50,016, although its average was up 1 percent in the first year Notre Dame played a condensed schedule against the ACC. Fresh off a national championship, Florida State saw its crowds increase by 9 percent. Half of the ACC's teams had their attendance rise.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/24891415/college-football-attendance-home-crowds-drop-to-lowest-in-14-years

ddub0224
1/8/2016, 02:15 PM
We went from TV markets to now how many people attend games? Who cares!?!?! Based on your statistics, then Iowa St is the third most valuable school to the Big12

This thread was about how to strengthen the conference and you do that with quality play on the field. Which one helps the Big 12 more:
1) A team that will go sub-500 but fills up a stadium, or
2) A team that can win 8-10 games, has a winning record in bowl games, and ability to be ranked in the top 25

I'll take Baylor with 40k fans over ______(insert direction) state U who can fill up a larger stadium but will bring down the conference level of play.

winout
1/12/2016, 03:43 PM
People in Philly want in: Could Big12 invite Temple football?

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/sports/colleges/temple&id=365006591

SoonerorLater
1/12/2016, 04:08 PM
People in Philly want in: Could Big12 invite Temple football?

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/sports/colleges/temple&id=365006591

If the Big 12 just had to expand Temple should be at the top of the list. Large state school, good TV market and they aren't a directional school or located in Texas.

badger
1/12/2016, 04:14 PM
Considering that Baylor, OSU, KSU and others like to schedule cream puffs as non-conference foes, let's just cut out the middle man and bring the cream puffs to the Big 12 :P

ddub0224
1/12/2016, 05:11 PM
Wow, so about half the teams in the American Athletic Conference have now been mentioned!?!? Seriously, this is a conference that had to form itself out of a bunch of leftover teams from other conferences.

What's next? Maybe someone can throw out Wyoming and New Mexico State so that we can expand our "tv geographic exposure" out west too. TV networks couldn't print enough money to show these games on prime time.

Tear Down This Wall
1/13/2016, 02:02 PM
Wow, so about half the teams in the American Athletic Conference have now been mentioned!?!? Seriously, this is a conference that had to form itself out of a bunch of leftover teams from other conferences.

What's next? Maybe someone can throw out Wyoming and New Mexico State so that we can expand our "tv geographic exposure" out west too. TV networks couldn't print enough money to show these games on prime time.

Agree. Just really bad. Dealing with BYU's "we don't play on Sunday" bit for other sports. Houston...I cannot puke enough to give a clear picture of what it would be like to have Houston in the conference. Cincinnati.

F'ing Mizzou sitting over there in the SEC with what would have been our invite if Boren and Castiglione had possessed the nuts to cut Oklahoma State's umbilical cord in 2011.

Awful.

I would honesty take a school as sh*tty as North Texas over either one just for simplicity's sake. BYU will always cause drama because they're accustomed to being the big fish in the small pond. They'd be like a cousin you are always straining to avoid/ignore at family reunions.

Houston has a Joe Jamail-like donor who basically runs the program. Although, he even less polished than now Worm Feed Jamail.

Pride1Mom
1/14/2016, 11:37 AM
Why don't we ALL join the SEC? That way EVERY school will be in the mighty conference!!!