PDA

View Full Version : ESPN fears the Stanford band

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2016, 07:18 PM
I'm watching the Rose Bowl and ESPN broadcast a bunch of the Iowa performance at half time. Then the Stanford band took the field in some formation and they switched to a blimp view from way up high where you couldn't see the field. There was a long awkward pause and then switch to a commercial. They never came back to the band. My guess is that they had no guarantee the band wouldn't do something politically incorrect, so they chickened out. Weenies.

rock on sooner
1/1/2016, 07:29 PM
I'm watching the Rose Bowl and ESPN broadcast a bunch of the Iowa performance at half time. Then the Stanford band took the field in some formation and they switched to a blimp view from way up high where you couldn't see the field. There was a long awkward pause and then switch to a commercial. They never came back to the band. My guess is that they had no guarantee the band wouldn't do something politically incorrect, so they chickened out. Weenies.

I'm watching the game as well and paid particular attention to when the
Stanford band came on the field...I was pretty sure that it would be some
kind of entertaining and then, no voice over, long pull back from the field
and turn to focus on the freaking mountains....weenies aint the word I'd
use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FaninAma
1/1/2016, 07:48 PM
The Stanford band is a joke. I could round up a hundred drunk frat/sorority types and put on the same type of stupid juvenile show. Their schtick is old and tiresome. Acting like an idiot isn't cool or cutting edge.

yermom
1/1/2016, 07:49 PM
something about a giant cow and farmersonly.com or something

yermom
1/1/2016, 07:49 PM
and i disagree. their band is actually fun.

i don't hardly pay attention to ours anymore.

rock on sooner
1/1/2016, 08:10 PM
The Stanford band is a joke. I could round up a hundred drunk frat/sorority types and put on the same type of stupid juvenile show. Their schtick is old and tiresome. Acting like an idiot isn't cool or cutting edge.

I've spent a few years in Lacrosse, WI for Octoberfest when the U of WI
Alum marching band alums brought up the rear of the parade with their
absolutely out of sight routine that brought cheers from the crowd AND

rock on sooner
1/1/2016, 08:14 PM
I went for another brew....the band was hung over, in some cases
still drunk, the brat was hot, beer was cold...fun to be enjoyed by
all! That is what I was expecting from the dayum tree and ESPN
screwed it up....jus sayin...

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2016, 09:05 PM
I know some folks that went to the game and it wasn't much to see. Usually, the band does something to make fun of the opposing team or their fans and that's what I was curious to see. I figured it could even be political this year since we are approaching the Iowa caucuses and the clown car of candidates descending on those poor folks. Or maybe just something about corn. But I guess it was just something weird about snapchat. I like to see what they are up to since I have a degree from Stanford, but they have become way too tame in recent years to be interesting. Lost their edge.

winout
1/1/2016, 09:18 PM
I remember the VW that was strategically placed for Vanessa Williams when they visited OU in 1984.

it was something like this:
W
V

BTW, we are 4-1 vs Stanford.

aurorasooner
1/1/2016, 09:26 PM
That Rose Bowl HT show couldn't be any worse than the Orange Bowl CFB playoff halftime show yesterday that were an endless string of commercials with a few promos of the ESPiN New Year's Eve show which followed the later game. There was just a brief summary of the 1st half right before the 2nd half started, and that's when we switched the main monitor back over to the game channel.

This whole CFB thing being on one network is the chitez imo. Sure glad there are other options than watching brain-dead constant back-to-back info-mercials. Thank goodness for 'net radio where you can get some interesting views/opinions of the 1st half and some FB talk.

FaninAma
1/1/2016, 09:30 PM
and i disagree. their band is actually fun.

i don't hardly pay attention to ours anymore.
I'd be embarrassed and pissed if I was paying $40,000 a year for my kid to go to Stanford and they acted like that on National television. Like I said, if I want stupid and silly as my entertainment I will break out my DVD of Animal House. I've seen more originality from a bunch of toddlers in a Montessori classroom.

They're not funny, they're not original and they sound like ****. And their act is old.

Jacie
1/1/2016, 10:14 PM
The Stanford marching band gets a pass way out of proportion to the talent they display. Yes, they can run around and eventually make a formation on the field but to equate that with what every other college marching band does makes calling them a marching band an insult to all the others.

Marching bands march in tight geometric patterns, playing their instruments as they do it. Their movements are synchronized such that when they do come to rest in a recognizable formation, it is almost magical.

The Stanford marching band is like one for the kids who couldn't follow instructions or failed the tryout.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2016, 10:35 PM
I'd be embarrassed and pissed if I was paying $40,000 a year for my kid to go to Stanford and they acted like that on National television. Like I said, if I want stupid and silly as my entertainment I will break out my DVD of Animal House. I've seen more originality from a bunch of toddlers in a Montessori classroom.

They're not funny, they're not original and they sound like ****. And their act is old.

They are not for the lights-off, missionary position only crowd, but no rule they should be. If I want to see a traditional band, I'll watch the tOSU band (which I do). If my kid got into Stanford, I'd be thrilled and I wouldn't give a crap if they joined the Stanford band. I know they would grow up and be the next CEO of some company. And it wouldn't matter at all if they acted like a goof ball when they were an 18-22 yo.

Soonerjeepman
1/1/2016, 11:44 PM
well, I didn't think they played anything worth a crap...but again tv didn't have any sound from there.

They definitely are over-inflated egos...they act like a$$es, yet they think everyone "loves" them...they have their reputation...whatever. To this 51 yr old they look like idiots. Just my 2 cents..

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2016, 12:34 AM
well, I didn't think they played anything worth a crap...but again tv didn't have any sound from there.

They definitely are over-inflated egos...they act like a$$es, yet they think everyone "loves" them...they have their reputation...whatever. To this 51 yr old they look like idiots. Just my 2 cents..

The Stanford fans and alums like them for the most part and that's all that matters. I happen to be both and I look forward to seeing what they have up their sleeve. If you expect a precision marching band, you're not going to get one as that is a non-goal. They absolutely do not think that everyone "loves" them. In fact, they have stated that one measure of a successful performance is to have the opposing fans boo them. Their performance is based on parody and satire aimed to entertain the home fans. That's always a hit and miss proposition and they have certainly laid some eggs. But they have also come up with some pretty clever skits. Just this 59 yr old 2 cents.

Soonerjeepman
1/2/2016, 10:22 AM
true...the beauty of the message board..we all have our own opinions..

cheers!

SoonerStormchaser
1/2/2016, 11:07 AM
something about a giant cow and farmersonly.com or something

That was the Okie State band.

Tear Down This Wall
1/2/2016, 12:01 PM
This is a network that gave Bruce Jenner dressed up as a woman an award. Yet, a little sophomoric humor from a college band is too much for them?

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2016, 12:42 PM
This is a network that gave Bruce Jenner dressed up as a woman an award. Yet, a little sophomoric humor from a college band is too much for them?

Seriously! The snapchat thing was last year. I guess the skit yesterday (as yermom said) made fun of a specialty online dating site for farmers along with a corn field maze and a reference to cow tipping. Pretty tame stuff, but I wonder if ESPN just didn't want the boos from the Iowa fans coming through the audio (which they ware doing). I wonder what would have happened if some of the pro athletes would have booed Jenner at the awards ceremony?

Eielson
1/2/2016, 01:21 PM
My uncle and I were watching trying to figure out what the heck that cow was doing.

FaninAma
1/2/2016, 02:00 PM
So Boulder, you invite a co-worker and his family over for dinner. When they arrive the co-worker's 15 year old son proceeds to make derogatory jokes about your family and home. Now these jokes would probably get belly laughs from the 15 year old son's friends but somehow I don't think you feel the kid is as cool and humorous as his friends do. Acting like a bunch of morons around friends and family is one thing. Acting like that around strangers who've invited you into their home(University) is just begging for an *** kicking.

The Stanford band doesn't own the name of their band. I am sure they don't pay their way to the games. You would think there are some grownups who would step in and rein these juveniles in. Rude, crude, untalented and socially unacceptable. But I guess that's their schtick, isn't it. Imagine if everybody acted like these spoiled little pricks did around strangers.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2016, 02:14 PM
So Boulder, you invite a co-worker and his family over for dinner. When they arrive the co-worker's 15 year old son proceeds to make derogatory jokes about your family and home. Now these jokes would probably get belly laughs from the 15 year old son's friends but somehow I don't think you feel the kid is as cool and humorous as his friends do. Acting like a bunch of morons around friends and family is one thing. Acting like that around strangers who've invited you into their home(University) is just begging for an *** kicking.

The Stanford band doesn't own the name of their band. I am sure they don't pay their way to the games. You would think there are some grownups who would step in and rein these juveniles in. Rude, crude, untalented and socially unacceptable. But I guess that's their schtick, isn't it. Imagine if everybody acted like these spoiled little pricks did around strangers.

I'm not seeing the analogy. This is sports, not someones home, and there is always banter and taunting between opposing fans. I see no problem unless it is mean spirited. And you are spot on that they are students of Stanford and if the school wants to stop it they could - but they don't. As an alum, I have no issues unless as I said, it becomes mean spirited. Stanford is a great school and if I thought this was a problem, I would speak up. I've known the President of Stanford for 30 years and if this upset me, I'd say something to him (not that it would carry any weight, but I'd try). As it stands, I look forward to what they have cooked up.

yermom
1/2/2016, 02:20 PM
Did they hit too close to home or something? Do they have too much fun with their improvised instruments or something?

What specifically is so offensive?

FaninAma
1/5/2016, 02:31 PM
They are not for the lights-off, missionary position only crowd, but no rule they should be. If I want to see a traditional band, I'll watch the tOSU band (which I do). If my kid got into Stanford, I'd be thrilled and I wouldn't give a crap if they joined the Stanford band. I know they would grow up and be the next CEO of some company. And it wouldn't matter at all if they acted like a goof ball when they were an 18-22 yo.
You're one of the crowd that stayed silent in the story of the Emperor Has No Clothes. You probably think Kim Kardashian is cool and hot, too.

Sorry to be harsh but saying anything positive about that joke of a band and waste of money(not to mention the poor representation they give your alma mater) is silly.

FaninAma
1/5/2016, 02:36 PM
Did they hit too close to home or something? Do they have too much fun with their improvised instruments or something?
I don't dislike them because they are offensive. I dislike them because they're not funny. They're just sophomoric and stupid and they try way too hard to be cutting edge and in-your-face. If they want to be disrespectful why don't they ridicule their own school's traditions and administration starting with their President/Board of Regents? Or they could start with that stupid tree mascot by setting it on fire. Ridiculing the traditions of the opposing team is cowardly. Do something that tweaks the nose of your own university and be prepared to take the heat.

FaninAma
1/5/2016, 02:40 PM
And it sounds like the Sstanford band members are just idiots while they are performing:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/16/stanford-band-banned-from-road-games-next-season-because-misbehavior.html

Bunch of entitled pricks.

bmjlr
1/5/2016, 02:48 PM
And it sounds like the Sstanford band members are just idiots while they are performing:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/16/stanford-band-banned-from-road-games-next-season-because-misbehavior.html

Bunch of entitled pricks.

Oh yes....because that is the only college where that stuff happens. Nowhere else are there immature entitled pricks. Sheesh.

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2016, 04:53 PM
You're one of the crowd that stayed silent in the story of the Emperor Has No Clothes. You probably think Kim Kardashian is cool and hot, too.

Sorry to be harsh but saying anything positive about that joke of a band and waste of money(not to mention the poor representation they give your alma mater) is silly.

I'm just saying as an alum, I have interest in what kind of skit they put together for football halftimes. That's it - if they went away tomorrow it wouldn't bother me just as their goofiness doesn't bother me now. Stanford doesn't require a traditional band to uphold their image. If the wealthy donors and/or administration want to shut it down, they could do it instantly since it is a private school. I'm sure it has caused them some heartburn, but they choose to allow the freedom of expression (for now).

I don't understand why you are so judgmental of the Stanford band unless you have some sort of connection you are not revealing. This seems like a Stanford fanbase/school issue. If you are just commenting as a disapproving (potential) opposing fan, then from the band's point of view - mission accomplished. BTW, the OU band taunts opposing fans too, but they do it from a different angle. I see other fans boards complaining they can't get that goddam "Boomer Sooner" tune out of their heads for 2 weeks after a game against us. More of a water torture approach than direct parody.

TAFBSooner
1/5/2016, 05:12 PM
. I see other fans boards complaining they can't get that goddam "Boomer Sooner" tune out of their heads for 2 weeks after a game against us. More of a water torture approach than direct parody.

I think that's about the worst thing I've ever heard.

How marvelous.

BoulderSooner79
1/5/2016, 05:16 PM
I think that's about the worst thing I've ever heard.

How marvelous.

? I'm sure the OU band would take that as a compliment.

TAFBSooner
1/5/2016, 05:27 PM
? I'm sure the OU band would take that as a compliment.

Meant as such.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/5/2016, 05:30 PM
Saw them at the Sun Bowl a few years back.. Kind of funny at first, but the novelty of it wore off quick.. Didn't make me mad, it was like your drunk uncle telling you the same joke 5 times.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/6/2016, 12:26 PM
The Stanford band is a joke. I could round up a hundred drunk frat/sorority types and put on the same type of stupid juvenile show.

Its what they do... I guess they are the lefty progressive band. Like the Rice band...

badger
1/6/2016, 01:14 PM
Imagine if everybody acted like these spoiled little pricks did around strangers

My only personal encounter with them was in basketball. Pep band had to be repeatedly told by officials to sit down during the game. They did a stupid dance whenever we played Boomer Sooner. Freshmen brought nachos over to us; said it was a Stanford tradition. Most of us were too worried they were tainted to eat them... tubas didn't care, though ;)

The OU band director did a fairly long post on dealing with them before the Sun Bowl on facebook. I don't think he'd mind if I shared an excerpt here:

At the 2009 Sun Bowl, we shared a concert with Stanford. At the appointed start time, we were there ready to perform, predictably they were not. We began to perform and, just as predictably, half way into our first tune, their band came running enthusiastically into the performance area drawing attention to them and interfering with our performance by running through our set-up while we were performing. We didn't react (our students had been briefed and were awesome) and continued performing.

Later in the performance, the Stanford group played a rendition of "Beginnings" by Chicago, which includes a four-measure vamp and drum fill. When they got to this vamp portion they kept repeating it over and over while running through our band. Additionally, about 20 of the students encircled me and the drum major Jason Marshall and blasted us with as much volume as they could muster. We didn't react at all. At. All. Instead, we just stared at them, expressionless. Their own expressions of disbelief were hilarious. After over five minutes of this ear-shattering, soul-crushing nonsense, a Stanford student holding a trumpet said "F#%€ this man, they're not going to react!" Sure enough, the tune ended and they left our area. Final score: Sooners-1, Stanford-0.

If you don't enjoy their antics, just don't play their game. Play your own. Don't expect them to embrace your social mores, play with a characteristic sound, or learn to march in a line. Let them do their thing and just deprive them of the reaction they desire and the massive media attention that accompanies it, because the Stanford administration doesn't care that you're outraged or offended. Who knows, maybe that will free up a few TV cameras to capture some of the great playing and marching being performed by other bands? Probably not, but it can't hurt. At the very least, you can enjoy knowing you deprived this group of the reaction they seek. Boomer Sooner!

1/9/2016, 03:48 AM
Thanks to this thread, I have a reason to be alert to the Stanford band. Ain't it a good time to be alive?

1/9/2016, 03:57 AM
I just did some research, and BOY AM I ANGRY!!! College kids playing music and being silly for laughs... where will it end?? Next thing you know, they'll be buying alcohol and having sex!

yermom
1/9/2016, 11:48 AM
As long as they don't play St. Elmo's Fire, I'm okay

yermom
1/9/2016, 11:49 AM
Or I've Been Working on the Railroad