PDA

View Full Version : Say what you want about the BCS

Okie35
1/1/2016, 06:04 PM
The computers got the regular games right... Matching up teams with similar schedules...

rock on sooner
1/1/2016, 06:48 PM
The computers ought to still have some say with the committee, imo...

Okie35
1/1/2016, 07:26 PM
The computers ought to still have some say with the committee, imo...

Totally agree

OUinFLA
1/1/2016, 07:41 PM
funny, I found myself thinking today...........
maybe the BCS wasn't so bad after all.

but an 8 team playoff would seem to be the best scenario to me.
cut out a regular season game (preferably one of the cupcakes), back the conference championship game up one week. make the first round of playoff at the higher ranked teams field, and make it the second week of December. Then hit the New Years Day bowl circuit with the remaining 4 teams.

This doesn't increase the number of games, gives an advantage to the higher ranked teams with a home field game. Doesn't bankrupt the fans attending another away game. And most of all eliminates leaving out some really good teams that got left out this year. i.e. Stanford, tOSU, ND........

Probably wont happen in my lifetime, but I can at least hope for something better than what we have.

Hopefully we would do better without a 5 week layoff.
I wish it would just all play out week after week after the end of the regular season. That would upset the bowl owners though.

yermom
1/1/2016, 07:48 PM
this shortens the season for ~120 teams. that is a lot of home game hotdogs they aren't going to gouge fans for.

rock on sooner
1/1/2016, 07:52 PM
Wait just a second! Hold on! Who allowed common sense onto
this board? Fess up!

This idea has been cussed and discussed ad infinitum and I STILL
agree. Div II and III can do it (there are some darn good teams
in the lower tiers) so the big boys can, too.....as to the layoff, welp,
everybody should do that except OU, we should play 10 days or less!
Hmmmm, does that successfully rig the whole deal?

Jacie
1/1/2016, 07:54 PM
BCS . . . CFP, all one and the same group of greedy old men manipulating the college football postseason to line their pockets.

If there were a way to bring this cartel to it's knees, I would be all for that.

rock on sooner
1/1/2016, 08:02 PM
BCS . . . CFP, all one and the same group of greedy old men manipulating the college football postseason to line their pockets.

If there were a way to bring this cartel to it's knees, I would be all for that.

Ummmm, Delta Force and Seal Team Six with cocked and locked Glocks and
electronic jamming to keep it quiet (I read a LOT of Brad Thor, Alex Berenson and
David Baldacci!)

Mookie91
1/1/2016, 08:07 PM
After watching a ton of college football I can honestly say Alabama vs Clemson seems like the right matchup, don't know why this system doesn't work. Unless you are Stanford or Ohio State complaining about OU/Mich St.

Soonerjeepman
1/1/2016, 11:47 PM
Wait just a second! Hold on! Who allowed common sense onto
this board? Fess up!

This idea has been cussed and discussed ad infinitum and I STILL
agree. Div II and III can do it (there are some darn good teams
in the lower tiers) so the big boys can, too.....as to the layoff, welp,
everybody should do that except OU, we should play 10 days or less!
Hmmmm, does that successfully rig the whole deal?

have nothing to do with the big money tv contracts...until the playoffs, even then not big.

Soonerjeepman
1/1/2016, 11:48 PM
After watching a ton of college football I can honestly say Alabama vs Clemson seems like the right matchup, don't know why this system doesn't work. Unless you are Stanford or Ohio State complaining about OU/Mich St.

I think OU could have trounced iowa as well...now, maybe stanford would match up with clemson better.

Okie35
1/2/2016, 12:08 AM
I think OU could have trounced iowa as well...now, maybe stanford would match up with clemson better.

We could've beaten both. Stanford would've been a little more of a struggle but we could've beat them

Mookie91
1/2/2016, 09:28 AM

I think OU could've beaten every team in college football this year. What is disappointing is the fact that once again they got embarrassed and the Big 12 appears to be poised on another bowl season debacle

Sabanball
1/2/2016, 04:23 PM
I was and still am a big proponent of the BCS. With the computer component, it pitted the two best teams against one another. Going to the new playoff format has only increased the level of controversy---not reduced it, as many tried to say it would.

Okie35
1/2/2016, 07:01 PM
I was and still am a big proponent of the BCS. With the computer component, it pitted the two best teams against one another. Going to the new playoff format has only increased the level of controversy---not reduced it, as many tried to say it would.

So true...

rock on sooner
1/2/2016, 09:18 PM
We could've beaten both. Stanford would've been a little more of a struggle but we could've beat them

Especially if we play each and every Saturday with no bye weeks! Jus sayin...

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2016, 09:40 PM

Some people may have speculated on decreased controversy, but I don't think that was even a goal. Why would it be? The goal is increased interest in the sport by more fans and controversy actually helps that.

Sabanball
1/2/2016, 09:59 PM
Some people may have speculated on decreased controversy, but I don't think that was even a goal. Why would it be? The goal is increased interest in the sport by more fans and controversy actually helps that.

If that's the goal then we might as well go back to the way things were pre-1998 and let the AP decide it every year.

Jacie
1/2/2016, 10:50 PM

With all that has happened, how can you be so naive? The goal of the BCS and now the CFP is to make as much money as possible for a very select few. Whether the public is entertained or not is immaterial to these guys.

Don't believe me? Read this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/awful-cfp-semifinal-ratings-show-executives-there-is-a-limit-to-greed-001910612-ncaaf.html

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2016, 11:12 PM
With all that has happened, how can you be so naive? The goal of the BCS and now the CFP is to make as much money as possible for a very select few. Whether the public is entertained or not is immaterial to these guys.

Don't believe me? Read this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/awful-cfp-semifinal-ratings-show-executives-there-is-a-limit-to-greed-001910612-ncaaf.html

I don't see how what I said contradicts that. It takes fan interest to generate $$ and the more teams are in the hunt, the more interest. And controversy will pull in interest from fans whose teams are no longer contenders.

EDIT: I don't see the drop in ratings on new year's eve as the powers not caring - it was just a huge marketing screw-up. I'll believe it if they do the same thing next year.

Jacie
1/2/2016, 11:20 PM
You are aware that there was a huge decrease in the number of viewers of both the CFP's and New Year's Day games, right? And if you had bothered to read the article, you would also know 1. there was less not more fan interest in these games and 2. the CFP execs knew that would happen, they did not care that it would happen, the money they received from the games was not affected by the number of fans who actually watched the games.

They do not care what the fans think, do, watch or even attend. The games make them money and that is all they care about.

yermom
1/2/2016, 11:29 PM
ESPN/Disney cares.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2016, 11:34 PM
You are aware that there was a huge decrease in the number of viewers of both the CFP's and New Year's Day games, right? And if you had bothered to read the article, you would also know 1. there was less not more fan interest in these games and 2. the CFP execs knew that would happen, they did not care that it would happen, the money they received from the games was not affected by the number of fans who actually watched the games.

They do not care what the fans think, do, watch or even attend. The games make them money and that is all they care about.

If that's true, it's very short term thinking. The real money comes from ad dollars and those will dry up without ratings to support it. Companies will pay less for ad time next year unless they can be convinced they will get the eyeballs on the screen.

Jacie
1/3/2016, 09:46 AM
You think ESPN didn't try to tell them that? The president of ESPN himself got involved in the discussion as early as January of last year to try and dissuade them from what he and anyone with a lick of common sense knew would be a ratings disaster. With contracts already in place to play these games (Peach, Orange and Cotton) on New Year's Eve through 2025, there is real doubt that anything can or will be done to change things.

As far as the CFP committee is concerned, the fans can go f*ck themselves if they don't approve of the current arrangement. The only pressure that could be brought to bear would be for the big money sponsors, the ones that get their corporate name/logo added to the front of the bowl game names to withdraw their support. Will falling ratings and attendance make that happen? Based on the smiles of the CFP committee, what's that one guys name? Bill Hancock? He doesn't give a damn. And the hand that feeds him. Do you think the Rose Bowl has to go begging for sponsors?

For the fans, you and me, the future of post season college football looks bleak. Pray for a miracle.

BoulderSooner79
1/3/2016, 02:57 PM
If ESPN is that powerless, they deserve what they are getting. They are the ones taking the risks and if the financial incentives are not inline with optimizing viewership, then they are morons for agreeing to the contract. I'm actually surprised the ratings got hit so hard since I had no problem with the games played when they were played, but there should have been pretty good marketing data to show it. Hard for me to GAS about about this power struggle of greed; I don't see it stopping the games from being played or televised (that will be from concussion litigation).

SoonerinLA
1/3/2016, 08:42 PM
Did you know Bill Hancock is an OU grad and Sooner fan?