PDA

View Full Version : Sanchez says he'll forego senior year...

swardboy
1/1/2016, 04:15 PM
I think he should stay another year. Oh well.

Zack Sanchez to skip senior season, head to NFL Draft

Oklahoma cornerback Zack Sanchez (http://247sports.com/Player/Zack-Sanchez-13236) went to Twitter Friday morning with an announcement: he’ll be leaving Norman to enter the NFL Draft a year early.
While Sanchez hasn’t been projected as a first-round draft pick, it isn’t a huge surprise to see him leaving. He said a year ago that he considered bolting for the NFL, and a recent Sports Illustrated article about Sanchez noted how close he was with defensive end Charles Tapper and linebacker Eric Striker, both seniors.

Sanchez intercepted seven passes in 11 games this season, including a pick in Thursday’s Orange Bowl. He intercepted 15 passes over his Sooner career, including six more as a sophomore.

Okie35
1/1/2016, 04:42 PM
He should go. Never know what'll happen next year, plus his stock is still high. He will go late 2nd/3rd round.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2016, 04:50 PM
Pretty much expected. I don't think another year would raise his stock - he'll always be a skinny, wiry guy.

rock on sooner
1/1/2016, 05:00 PM
Pretty much expected. I don't think another year would raise his stock - he'll always be a skinny, wiry guy.
You'd think that 3-4 years with Schmitty would have put meat on his bones.
Okie35 is right, I think....late 2nd or early 3rd. Tapper and Striker both a
little earlier....be fun, come combine time...

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2016, 05:06 PM
Some body types just don't weight under the stress of weight lifting - it's genetic. My guess is that he's tried to get bigger since the first time he strapped on a helmet. If he were to suddenly get bigger, I'd worry about him testing positive for PEDs.

SoonernAR
1/1/2016, 05:43 PM
I selfishly would've like him to stay but can't blame him.

Eielson
1/1/2016, 05:52 PM
I can't even be upset. We got a lot of mileage out of him.

I'm not too concerned about, though. I still expect have one of our better secondaries in quite a while. It's all about replacing Shep and the pass rushers.

rock on sooner
1/1/2016, 06:53 PM
I can't even be upset. We got a lot of mileage out of him.

I'm not too concerned about, though. I still expect have one of our better secondaries in quite a while. It's all about replacing Shep and the pass rushers.

Judging from the number of go to's, Westbrook is a candidate
to replace Shep. Andrews could be a force....7 TD's as a frosh.
Baxter (stiff arm notwithstanding) will be a factor. Biggest loss,
besides Shep is Striker and Tapper. Haven't looked at the incoming
class much yet...enough youth in the front seven otherwise. Sure
hope M. Stoops studies a LOT of film this off season.

Mookie91
1/1/2016, 07:46 PM
Sanchez needs to strike while the iron is hot but don't see his lack of physicality transferring well to the NFL.

Eielson
1/1/2016, 07:54 PM
Judging from the number of go to's, Westbrook is a candidate
to replace Shep. Andrews could be a force....7 TD's as a frosh.
Baxter (stiff arm notwithstanding) will be a factor. Biggest loss,
besides Shep is Striker and Tapper. Haven't looked at the incoming
class much yet...enough youth in the front seven otherwise. Sure
hope M. Stoops studies a LOT of film this off season.

I think Monty brought in a really talented group before he left. I'm not sure just how well we'd be able to replace guys like Tapper and Striker with rsFRs, but I bet they could supplement guys like Ward and Obo if they're ready to go next year.

Hopefully Quick's disappointing year isn't a sign of things to come.

kenth68
1/1/2016, 10:31 PM
He might as well make some money now. Good luck to him and thanks for all the great football.

Mazeppa
1/1/2016, 11:03 PM
He might as well make some money now. Good luck to him and thanks for all the great football.

If he thinks he can make it in the pros then go for it and good luck to him, I'm sure we'll be alright without him.

JLEW1818
1/2/2016, 12:18 AM
He's also a redshirt junior. 4 years in a college program. Nothing left for him here.

azheat4u
1/2/2016, 09:36 AM
I agree 4 yrs in a program and it's time to move on but those that think he's a 2-3 round guy are crazy. He's more of a last day of the draft guy. He's small for the NFL, not physical and his coverage skills are ok. Please don't come back with his INT numbers, many times that indicates they threw his way more than others. He has trouble on slants and bites on any out & up routes or sluggo routes. Don't get me wrong he has been a good locker room guy but I don't see his style of play translating into an NFL CB. I hope I'm wrong and wish him the best.

dwarthog
1/2/2016, 10:01 AM
I wish him all the luck. He's been a solid contributor and changed more than a few outcomes for us.

Hopefully he shines in the Pro's for many years to come. We can't lose having OU show up on pro rosters.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/2/2016, 10:21 AM
Sanchez needs to strike while the iron is hot but don't see his lack of physicality transferring well to the NFL.

We complained that that he was scrawny and didn't tackle well ..... think of all the 220 lb. beasts that play receiver at the next level. How many reps @ 225 will he get at the combine, and will that turn some heads in a bad way? What about 40 time - I've never seen him as someone with outstanding foot speed either. I'd be shocked if he is drafted anywhere other than late rounds.

pappy
1/2/2016, 12:34 PM
I think he probably gets drafted 4th round or later. He could've benefited from another year. He takes a lot of risks which allows for his interceptions, but he gets burned a lot on double moves because of it. He also needs to focus on wrapping up on tackles instead of trying to make a big hit...he isn't a big hit guy, but tries it. I wish him well in the league.

swardboy
1/2/2016, 03:48 PM

You must not have seen the Eagles game last Saturday night.

Okie35
1/2/2016, 07:03 PM

Ppl said the same about Josh Norman. He's a smaller guy. Zack just needs to be in the right system.

SoonerForLife92
1/2/2016, 09:17 PM
I agree 4 yrs in a program and it's time to move on but those that think he's a 2-3 round guy are crazy. He's more of a last day of the draft guy. He's small for the NFL, not physical and his coverage skills are ok. Please don't come back with his INT numbers, many times that indicates they threw his way more than others. He has trouble on slants and bites on any out & up routes or sluggo routes. Don't get me wrong he has been a good locker room guy but I don't see his style of play translating into an NFL CB. I hope I'm wrong and wish him the best.

Usually I agree about the interception numbers. That's why his remain impressive. He can bait the quarterback and takes good calculated risks. Some of the best corners in the NFL play with the same style. Although his size issue remains. I don't see him ever being a consistent starter but I hope he does. He took way too much s*** from some of our fans.

SoCalBigRed
1/3/2016, 01:37 PM
THANK GOD!

Good riddance and good luck!

Okie35
1/3/2016, 01:44 PM
THANK GOD!

Good riddance and good luck!

Why? To be honest... He was one of our best cover corners in a while. He's was a little too aggressive and sometimes missed tackles but the defense usually misses tackles. If I could have one knock on our defenses even when BV was here, we miss a lot of tackles. Against Clemson he covered pretty well.

SoCalBigRed
1/4/2016, 02:31 AM
Because the last 2 years, I've seen him get picked on, by more offensive coordinators, than any other supposed shutdown/cover corner.

Really good corners, get beat, once in a while. They'll bite on a play. Sanchez, will do it for a game. He never adjusts. Just balls to the wall, one speed, good hands, and has a good ability to jump a route.

But, a shut down, cover corner, imo... He's not.

Pride1Mom
1/4/2016, 11:38 AM
Not big enough for the pros...maybe could go to special teams.....