PDA

View Full Version : 800 lb. Gorilla in the room

SoonernAR
1/1/2016, 12:05 AM
Stoops bowl record is now 8-9, it is a legitimate criticism of his tenure because of the way alot of those losses occurred. Nayionally in years to come and we are on the bubble of making the playoffs, these ongoing post season implosions will way heavily in voter's minds.

Jason White's Third Knee
1/1/2016, 12:54 AM
Stoops bowl record is now 8-9, it is a legitimate criticism of his tenure because of the way alot of those losses occurred. Nayionally in years to come and we are on the bubble of making the playoffs, these ongoing post season implosions will way heavily in voter's minds.

The game wasn't pretty, but we were up at the half. Spooky calls aren't fun and they changed the game, but being down to your 4th string RB when that was such a big part of the game? Bob can't fix that. Only Mr. Miagi can

yermom
1/1/2016, 01:05 AM
When you are playing in BCS and championship/playoff games, your competition is going to be better

We were lucky to be where we were thus year

I sure like Shep's story better if he wins this one though. Was still a fun year.

CatfishSooner
1/1/2016, 03:36 AM
Stoops needs to pick it up

Okie35
1/1/2016, 04:22 AM
We overachieved this year ... I thought we'd be in this position next year oh well every team in the playoff had more talent than us .. us and msu were about even. Its about recruiting.

SoonerBorn
1/1/2016, 09:50 AM
My take is that Stoops doesn't do well with that much time off. I don't know if he and his staff switch to vacation mode or what, but it's usually a different team that shows up at the bowl game. Clearly no real adjustments happened on our side at halftime.

FaninAma
1/1/2016, 11:01 AM
Stoops got out-schemed badly. Dabo is a riverboat gambler and it is obvious hiscoaching staff takes their cues from him. He gambled his QB wouldn't get hurt and he used the 3 weeks between theregular season and this game to tweak and adjust their running game. Mike Stoops never adjusted. He never stacked the line while Venables did and dared Riley to abandon the running game and long pass game. Riley will learnand get better. Mike Stoops won't. It appears Clemson's coaching staff studied the Texas game film a lot. Stoops should have anticipated this.

Sooner70
1/1/2016, 11:24 AM
Agree with Okie35. We caught Baylor without their star QB, and eked out a 1 pt victory over a decimated TCU team. OU was fortuate to get this far, but they did what it takes. The heart/soul , swagger and committment of this team was commendable. I think Stoops was sincere when he compared them to his 2000 NC bunch, but they're just not quite there yet. OU has a very, very good football team, but Clemson has an excellent all around team, and Bama appears to have the platinum model again. we'll see.

SoonernAR
1/1/2016, 11:25 AM
Skip Bayless @RealSkipBayless

Bob Stoops, worst big-game motivator in college football, sent out a defense tonight that wasn't ready to match Clemson's intensity.

rock on sooner
1/1/2016, 11:40 AM
Skip Bayless? RILLY? A waste of good keystrokes and on air oxygen!

Mookie91
1/1/2016, 11:43 AM
Two knocks I have on the Stoops dynasty. First it seems as if they are unable to get the little things right namely special teams and penalties. The other is what I call the "Mike Tyson Syndrome", they are bad ***, smack talking swagger junkies when they are throwing their best stuff at the opponent but as soon as they get punched in the face the crumple like a cheap suit.

rock on sooner
1/1/2016, 11:46 AM
SoonerBorn makes a good point...I'd really rather see two weeks or less
between the end of the season and the post season bowl. When Stoops
has his teams on a roll (like the last seven games of this season) the swagger
is more pronounced and the outcomes are more enjoyable and predictable.
This time around all the talking heads had it that OU is the most balanced
team in all three phases, yada yada and, frankly, I think the team heard it
enough that it affected their play. Just my opinion, doncha know?

SoonernAR
1/1/2016, 11:47 AM
Skip Bayless? RILLY? A waste of good keystrokes and on air oxygen!
But in this case, he was on point. Stoops has more than a monkey on his back now, if we are a 1-loss conference champ next year.......the CFP commitee will leave us on the outside.

Pride1Mom
1/1/2016, 11:56 AM
Stoops didn't have the un-sportsmanship penalty, or threw the interceptions, or didn't block the sacks on the QB. OU looked like they had practiced TOO hard, and was already tired. They really missed Charles Walker, who got a concussion during practice. Obviously Perine's ankle injury never healed before this game.....

Clemson looked BIG, and they were faster than I thought they would be. Maybe OU gave up too soon on the Defensive Coordinator.....and settled for the wrong one, brother or no.

PhiDeltBeers
1/1/2016, 12:05 PM
But in this case, he was on point. Stoops has more than a monkey on his back now, if we are a 1-loss conference champ next year.......the CFP commitee will leave us on the outside.

If we finish next year with 1 loss, chances are we'll be number 1 going into the playoffs. Look at the schedule.

PhiDeltBeers
1/1/2016, 12:11 PM
Perspective in this thread is a joke. I'm the farthest thing from a pumper as I thought we might go .500 after the Texas game. We end up with a Big 12 title and a trip to the CFP and we b*tch about Bob's short comings? Am I upset we lost? Yeah, almost lost my voice watching the game, but at the end of the day....damn impressive season and I give it up to them and one of Bob's best coaching years. Boomer!

Mookie91
1/1/2016, 12:17 PM
Perspective in this thread is a joke. I'm the farthest thing from a pumper as I thought we might go .500 after the Texas game. We end up with a Big 12 title and a trip to the CFP and we b*tch about Bob's short comings? Am I upset we lost? Yeah, almost lost my voice watching the game, but at the end of the day....damn impressive season and I give it up to them and one of Bob's best coaching years. Boomer!

I will agree that after Texas I'd have said this would have been an impressive run. Now back to your perspective, don't forget context and we played TCU with a 3rd string QB and Baylor/OSU with a backup.

Eielson
1/1/2016, 12:54 PM
This was one of Stoops' finer years. The fact that we were within 6 quarters of #8 with this team is nothing short of miraculous. We've had WAY more talented teams. It doesn't sound like we'll have any first rounders, and we may not even have any second rounders. I can't really think of a reason not be optimistic about next year at this point.

Eielson
1/1/2016, 12:56 PM
I will agree that after Texas I'd have said this would have been an impressive run. Now back to your perspective, don't forget context and we played TCU with a 3rd string QB and Baylor/OSU with a backup.

Baylor's backup was a stud, and OSU's QB had started plenty of games. Both on the road as well, so they were still impressive.

Mookie91
1/1/2016, 01:01 PM
This was one of Stoops' finer years. The fact that we were within 6 quarters of #8 with this team is nothing short of miraculous. We've had WAY more talented teams. It doesn't sound like we'll have any first rounders, and we may not even have any second rounders. I can't really think of a reason not be optimistic about next year at this point.

You know I'm doom and gloom. You keep hearing Stoops talk about we practice this and we practice that. You'll here, we talked about discipline. The problem seems to be in the heat of it, none of that seems to work. It seems like they need either smarter players or players with better attitudes. I can't say enough about the presence and class of guys like Darlington and Striker but then you have Baker, a Heisman snub, barking at Clemson players pregame and then going out and playing poorly.

Mookie91
1/1/2016, 01:02 PM
Baylor's backup was a stud, and OSU's QB had started plenty of games. Both on the road as well, so they were still impressive.

Still backups and not as good as the starter or they would be.

PhiDeltBeers
1/1/2016, 01:02 PM

I don't really buy the whole backup QB arguments. In Stidham's first start for Baylor, he had better numbers than in any game Russell had played in. His numbers were comparable to Baker's in the OU game. We heavily out rushed them that game which was a major difference maker. Also, Baylor goes and destroys NC playing WR's at QB. TCU game had both teams banged up. We had no Baker and Mixon and Perine struggled to stay on the field in the 2nd half. So that's pretty even both ways. OSU? We pound them if they have Tom Brady playing. They simply are too one dimensional with no run game whatsoever. So, while its easy to say these teams didn't have starters playing, upon further inspection, outcomes would still be the same.

Mookie91
1/1/2016, 01:04 PM
I don't really buy the whole backup QB arguments. In Stidham's first start for Baylor, he had better numbers than in any game Russell had played in. His numbers were comparable to Baker's in the OU game. We heavily out rushed them that game which was a major difference maker. Also, Baylor goes and destroys NC playing WR's at QB. TCU game had both teams banged up. We had no Baker and Mixon and Perine struggled to stay on the field in the 2nd half. So that's pretty even both ways. OSU? We pound them if they have Tom Brady playing. They simply are too one dimensional with no run game whatsoever. So, while its easy to say these teams didn't have starters playing, upon further inspection, outcomes would still be the same.

Sorry all speculation. We played all three teams with backup QBs and that is a fact.

tooslow
1/1/2016, 01:09 PM
All I know is what happened on the field when we finally played a good team with it's starting QB. It wasn't pretty. If anything, the games against Baylor, TCU, and OSU caused the D to be overconfident. If they weren't overconfident, then we ain't going past the first round of the playoffs with Mike as DC. I appreciate what he's done in the past, but I feel a change is needed on that side of the ball to shake things up.

PhiDeltBeers
1/1/2016, 01:12 PM
And we won. That is a fact. We had hurt players too which is another fact. Stidham had better games than their starter. Fact. We beat OSU by 35 points in Stoolwater. Fact. Speculation is you insinuating we lose any of those games if things are different. Low and behold, another fact. I find you saying I'm speculating somewhat ironic. Lot's of if's in sports and that's call speculating. The FACT is we won, no speculating about it.

Eielson
1/1/2016, 01:14 PM

Not many people agree with you about Stidham.

mainline13
1/1/2016, 01:15 PM

Man, if Skip Bayless happens to say what you're thinking, you need to examine you premises, 'cause at least one of them is very likely to be wrong. I only say that because Skip is an idiot.

PhiDeltBeers
1/1/2016, 01:18 PM
All I know is what happened on the field when we finally played a good team with it's starting QB. It wasn't pretty. If anything, the games against Baylor, TCU, and OSU caused the D to be overconfident. If they weren't overconfident, then we ain't going past the first round of the playoffs with Mike as DC. I appreciate what he's done in the past, but I feel a change is needed on that side of the ball to shake things up.

I can be pretty hard on Mike at times, but I wasn't last night. I constantly make fun of Bob for saying the players have to execute, but that was the issue on D last night. Go back and watch how poor the tackling was. First game since Texas we tackle so poorly. How many times did their QB and RB's fall forward for 2-3 more yards. How many times did we hit them at the line or in the backfield and let them get away. I don't think it was about schemes nearly as much as execution. Now on the offensive side of the ball, I put it more on Lincoln's play calling. Love the guy to death but think he was subpar last night. Just the way I saw the game.

soonergirlNeugene
1/1/2016, 01:21 PM
Stoops didn't have the un-sportsmanship penalty, or threw the interceptions, or didn't block the sacks on the QB. OU looked like they had practiced TOO hard, and was already tired. They really missed Charles Walker, who got a concussion during practice. Obviously Perine's ankle injury never healed before this game.....

/agree Was thinking this myself even in the first half.

tooslow
1/1/2016, 01:53 PM
I can be pretty hard on Mike at times, but I wasn't last night. I constantly make fun of Bob for saying the players have to execute, but that was the issue on D last night. Go back and watch how poor the tackling was. First game since Texas we tackle so poorly. How many times did their QB and RB's fall forward for 2-3 more yards. How many times did we hit them at the line or in the backfield and let them get away. I don't think it was about schemes nearly as much as execution. Now on the offensive side of the ball, I put it more on Lincoln's play calling. Love the guy to death but think he was subpar last night. Just the way I saw the game.

Fair assessment. I agree that the tackling was an issue. My main gripe was the QB sweep to the left. Seemed like there were always large chunks of yardage picked up on that same play. If Mike was spying the QB, it didn't show. Clemson had a spy on Mayfield. You can see the spy just sitting back on most plays and waiting for Baker to take off. The defense was eerily similar to how it played against the whorns. If it's not coaching and strictly on the players, then I strongly believe Boykin would have easily done the same thing to us. Mike has never fared well against mobile QBs, especially on a large stage. Or rather the players he coached hasn't.

Bottom line is losing just plain sucks and most people, like myself, want to make excuses or find something/someone to blame. I do think Clemson is much better than I thought. They had several close games this season against teams they should've crushed, but they showed up and gave all they had yesterday.

One more thing I'd like to add is about Baker. Does he get too hyped up or jittery in big games? It almost seems like he needs a while to settle his nerves down. I noticed this in the texas and taco tech games. Of course, it could've simply been a case where he started off poorly, and nothing more than that.

Hopefully the next several days pass by quickly and I can get rid of this knot in my stomach. To be one of the 4 teams playing for it all was a hell of an accomplishment this season. Looking forward to the 2016 season. Boomer!!!

Okie35
1/1/2016, 01:59 PM

Not necessarily ... Some coaches play the seniority card.

Jacie
1/1/2016, 02:06 PM
Am I alone in feeling this one was closer than the final score?

They resorted to a trick play to score their first TD. They did that because momentum was tilting toward Oklahoma and for a half it was an even game and they knew they were a questionable unsportsmanlike conduct penalty away from being down two scores, not one.

Second half, Clemson had 4 good drives, 3 resulted in TD's, 1 a missed FG. OU had 3 good drives, 2 ended with INT's, 1 a turnover on downs.

The Sooners were that close to this one being a one-score game, inspite of less than stellar play-calling and poor tackling as some of you have pointed out already.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
1/1/2016, 02:07 PM
Team had a bad game.

I take Stoops over anyone!

hawaii 5-0
1/1/2016, 03:23 PM
It seemed after the Texas game the Sooners started tackling better. No more one-armed tackles or just shoving the runners out of bounds. Last night the Sooners reverted back to their old form that got them beat in the RRR.

We were up at halftime. No visible adjustments hurt. We were stuffed on both sides of the ball at the line. OK, we were lucky to be up at the half. Giving up 300 yards rushing is an ugly statistic.

We were lucky to have come this far.

My two cents.

5-0

SoonernAR
1/1/2016, 04:09 PM
I was just emphasizing bowl performances under Stoops, the team nor coaches seem to be able to play to their potential with few exceptions. I wish the media would press him on this issue so maybe he can figure out what the problem is.

PhiDeltBeers
1/1/2016, 05:51 PM
Fair assessment. I agree that the tackling was an issue. My main gripe was the QB sweep to the left. Seemed like there were always large chunks of yardage picked up on that same play. If Mike was spying the QB, it didn't show. Clemson had a spy on Mayfield. You can see the spy just sitting back on most plays and waiting for Baker to take off. The defense was eerily similar to how it played against the whorns. If it's not coaching and strictly on the players, then I strongly believe Boykin would have easily done the same thing to us. Mike has never fared well against mobile QBs, especially on a large stage. Or rather the players he coached hasn't.

Bottom line is losing just plain sucks and most people, like myself, want to make excuses or find something/someone to blame. I do think Clemson is much better than I thought. They had several close games this season against teams they should've crushed, but they showed up and gave all they had yesterday.

One more thing I'd like to add is about Baker. Does he get too hyped up or jittery in big games? It almost seems like he needs a while to settle his nerves down. I noticed this in the texas and taco tech games. Of course, it could've simply been a case where he started off poorly, and nothing more than that.

Hopefully the next several days pass by quickly and I can get rid of this knot in my stomach. To be one of the 4 teams playing for it all was a hell of an accomplishment this season. Looking forward to the 2016 season. Boomer!!!

I think Baker is just going to be Baker as far as moxie goes. We'll live and die by it. I like it though. Good post btw.

PhiDeltBeers
1/1/2016, 06:02 PM
Am I alone in feeling this one was closer than the final score?

They resorted to a trick play to score their first TD. They did that because momentum was tilting toward Oklahoma and for a half it was an even game and they knew they were a questionable unsportsmanlike conduct penalty away from being down two scores, not one.

Second half, Clemson had 4 good drives, 3 resulted in TD's, 1 a missed FG. OU had 3 good drives, 2 ended with INT's, 1 a turnover on downs.

The Sooners were that close to this one being a one-score game, inspite of less than stellar play-calling and poor tackling as some of you have pointed out already.

Another good post here. The UC call on Flowers and the fake punt were massive plays in this game. Take those away and we very likely have a 2 or 3 touchdown lead which completely changes the game. Very well could be on the way to a blowout which is what I thought was going to happen. We drove the ball all second half and got to around the 30 yard line twice and goaline once and couldn't capitalize. I even liked the play call on the 4th down when we turned it over. So, you're right....as bad as the defense was and some of the questionable deep route calls by Lincoln on top of the officiating, this game could have easily been a 180 from the outcome we witnessed. We just couldn't overcome the issues.

Mookie91
1/1/2016, 07:49 PM
Not many people agree with you about Stidham.

So offensive genius Art Briles who evaluates players on a daily basis and wants to win decided to go with the lesser player at QB, ok.

PhiDeltBeers
1/1/2016, 08:35 PM
So offensive genius Art Briles who evaluates players on a daily basis and wants to win decided to go with the lesser player at QB, ok.

Wally Pipp also started over Lou Gehrig and we all know how that turned out. Let it go Mook. :-)

Mookie91
1/1/2016, 08:40 PM
Wally Pipp also started over Lou Gehrig and we all know how that turned out. Let it go Mook. :-)

I hear ya :)

Just don't think having a successful season and being disappointed in the final outcome are mutually exclusive. And a lot of things seem to break right for the Sooners at the right time.

PhiDeltBeers
1/1/2016, 08:44 PM
I hear ya :)

Just don't think having a successful season and being disappointed in the final outcome are mutually exclusive. And a lot of things seem to break right for the Sooners at the right time.

I definitely think there were a lot of moments where the planets were in line or Sooner Magic that took place this year. I also think it takes some of that to win it all. I think Stoops has had a lot better teams underachieve and this team overachieved. But it sure was fun to watch when no one expected all this.

Mookie91
1/1/2016, 10:46 PM
I definitely think there were a lot of moments where the planets were in line or Sooner Magic that took place this year. I also think it takes some of that to win it all. I think Stoops has had a lot better teams underachieve and this team overachieved. But it sure was fun to watch when no one expected all this.

I was lucky enough to make the trip from Central NY to celebrate my 40th birthday with a win over TCU this year it will be a season I'll never forget

PhiDeltBeers
1/1/2016, 11:13 PM
Hey, not too far behind you as I turn 39 this year. Living in OK and being semi retired I should have no excuse for missing every game this year. My 2 young girls seem to fill the schedule in my void of work. Flying to Scottsdale, AZ with my neighbor next Sunday for some golf and was hoping to go to the NCC game, but guess we can just concentrate on our swings now. :-) Bit off topic though....all in all an outstanding year and this OSU Ole Miss game is making things better already. ;-)

Tear Down This Wall
1/2/2016, 12:10 PM
You know I'm doom and gloom. You keep hearing Stoops talk about we practice this and we practice that. You'll here, we talked about discipline. The problem seems to be in the heat of it, none of that seems to work. It seems like they need either smarter players or players with better attitudes. I can't say enough about the presence and class of guys like Darlington and Striker but then you have Baker, a Heisman snub, barking at Clemson players pregame and then going out and playing poorly.

The mouthiness of the players is simply a reflection of them not realizing the suck the level of their conference competition. They beat teams like K-State and Oklahoma State, Baylor and TCU and really believe they have accomplished something.

It manifests in undersized players like Zack Sanchez believing he is NFL material. It would be laughable if it weren't so sad.

dennis580
1/2/2016, 12:42 PM
This could actually be considered a positive. As Stoops has made a bowl all 17 years of his career at Oklahoma. He has never failed to make a bowl.

cherokeebrewer
1/2/2016, 12:48 PM
We need to recruit bigger stronger faster players...that's all I got.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2016, 12:54 PM
It manifests in undersized players like Zack Sanchez believing he is NFL material. It would be laughable if it weren't so sad.

I don't understand this comment. You think Zack should just give up on his NFL dreams? I'm sure he is aware of the challenge presented by his size as it has been that way his entire career. I think he should give it his best shot and never look back with regrets if it doesn't happen for him.

Eielson
1/2/2016, 01:22 PM

I'm betting he makes a bigger paycheck than yourself next year.

SoonerorLater
1/2/2016, 03:59 PM
The mouthiness of the players is simply a reflection of them not realizing the suck the level of their conference competition. They beat teams like K-State and Oklahoma State, Baylor and TCU and really believe they have accomplished something.

You do realize that Sanchez by most NFL draft projections will go between round 2-4?

Sabanball
1/2/2016, 04:30 PM
Your loss on Thursday was inept coaching as I see it--which is uncharacteristic of a Stoops-led team. Why no one on your D was assigned to spy Watson is inexplicable to me. Mike Stoops should be fired for incompetence alone for that IMO. Of course we know that won't happen.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2016, 04:43 PM
Your loss on Thursday was inept coaching as I see it. Why no one on your D was assigned to spy Watson is inexplicable to me. Mike Stoops should be fired for incompetence alone for that IMO. Of course we know that won't happen.

I thought Dom was assigned to spy Watson at least part of the time. I'd rephrase that to ask why didn't we do everything possible to force Watson to beat us with his arm? And if that wasn't the original game plan, why wasn't it adjusted at half after watching them easily move the length of the field against us? But I'm sure there were lots of factors on why things were called the way they were. The thing that perplexed me the most is that we seemed to come out after half time *less* aggressive and almost down right passive on that first drive. I knew we were really fortunate to be leading at half and that if we didn't change some things, defeat was inevitable. But looking at things objectively, a whole lot of things would have had to go our way to win as they were just the better team.

Okie35
1/2/2016, 07:00 PM
Your loss on Thursday was inept coaching as I see it--which is uncharacteristic of a Stoops-led team. Why no one on your D was assigned to spy Watson is inexplicable to me. Mike Stoops should be fired for incompetence alone for that IMO. Of course we know that won't happen.

They were the better, more conditioned and more physical. We had a spy he was just tired. The better team won...

mainline13
1/2/2016, 09:51 PM

Yup, I'll tell you what. Stoops is definitely the absolute WORST head coach to have won all the BCS bowls. No doubt about it.

Tear Down This Wall
1/2/2016, 10:01 PM
I'm betting he makes a bigger paycheck than yourself next year.

If you add in a signing bonus, maybe; but, doubtful - and, certainly not over the long haul. Give me the list of OU cornerbacks who have lasted longer than a season or two in the NFL of late.

Jacie
1/2/2016, 10:46 PM
I thought Dom was assigned to spy Watson at least part of the time. I'd rephrase that to ask why didn't we do everything possible to force Watson to beat us with his arm?

That RB did most of the damage the second half.

Okie35
1/2/2016, 11:05 PM

And it was so predictable they'd start running Galman more in the 2nd half.

BoulderSooner79
1/2/2016, 11:40 PM

And that's what I meant by forcing Watson to beat us with his arm. Stop the run regardless of who is running. I.e. more in the box and risk that your secondary can cover. And he may well have been able to beat us with his arm too; it just seemed silly to not adjust to stop something that was killing us.

Eielson
1/3/2016, 12:36 AM
If you add in a signing bonus, maybe; but, doubtful - and, certainly not over the long haul. Give me the list of OU cornerbacks who have lasted longer than a season or two in the NFL of late.

Yeah...I doubt you're making upwards of a million dollars a year. I'm sure you'll say you do, though.

aurorasooner
1/3/2016, 12:42 AM
What seems silly, actually absolutely ridiculous, is not rushing the opposing team's punter/FG/EP kicker at all and our players just standing straight up, not rushing and not even peeling back, looking like they don't give a tinker's damn.
I know this has been hashed over and over, but it really is a huge fan perception issue that our staff doesn't really give a damn about special teams and are coaching scared.
If it's an issue with our guys saving as much energy as possible, then put 2/3 of upper-class scout team guys out there with the D guys (I guess we're allowed to sub when the offense brings in a kicker off their sidelines) and tell them to go full speed to at least make it look like we GAS. We'd probably just get a roughing the kicker penalty though or some trick play would get a 1st down, duh.
There's got to be some reason for the constant kick-safe/punt-safe/constant fair-catch, but it looks like &*it.... Hopefully one of the press guys will ask HCBS about it in the presser.

SoonerMarkVA
1/3/2016, 09:00 AM
My take is that Stoops doesn't do well with that much time off. I don't know if he and his staff switch to vacation mode or what, but it's usually a different team that shows up at the bowl game. Clearly no real adjustments happened on our side at halftime.

Agreed. I expressed my main concern as just this. I also wondered aloud if our buzzsaw run after whorn was fueled by having no more bye-weeks.

Obviously that's something that has to be fixed if Stoops ever wants to achieve a NC. Can't avoid having those 4-5 weeks off.

SoonerMarkVA
1/3/2016, 09:06 AM

Looked to me like D. Alexander was spying Watson. He just tackled as poorly as the rest of the team and whiffed, or was easily taken out of the play by a blocker.

Jacie
1/3/2016, 11:14 AM
There's got to be some reason for the constant kick-safe/punt-safe/constant fair-catch, but it looks like &*it.... Hopefully one of the press guys will ask HCBS about it in the presser.

If you are referring to the way the team stood to watch a field goal attempt in the second half, it might have something to do with a certain play in the first half that kept a drive alive and led to a TD.

I saw a team do the same thing during one of the Jan. 2 bowls.

As for always rushing a punt/FG/PAT, there are arguments for and against. If a team has spent a lot of time to develop a scheme that enables them to actually block some kicks, it is a pretty good idea. What cost OU was someone in the clemson booth detected a tendency and in a close game, which it was at the time, that can lead to a big play. The Sooners got burned on the one punt and given the way the clemson offense was moving at will, that FG attempt could easily have been another trick play waiting to happen.

After the experience of the Fiesta Bowl loss to boise, I wince everytime a team runs a successful trick play vs. OU. I was happy to see them stand during the FG attempt rather than give up another first down.