PDA

View Full Version : O-line sucks

ObiKaTony
12/31/2015, 08:26 PM
That is all

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2015, 08:37 PM
They don't suck, but they were the weak link. Did it take you 13 games to notice?

FaninAma
12/31/2015, 08:39 PM
They did tonight and we missed Walker a bunch on defense.

FaninAma
12/31/2015, 08:47 PM
For those who said getting sent to the Orange Bowl was no big deal: I think this game showed how fos you were. I am sitting here watching the MSU and Alabama games with their statute like QBs and it became pretty obvious how much of a better matchup either team would have been for us. I will smile when Watson gets hurt again on a designed run....and he will get hurt again.

SoonernAR
12/31/2015, 08:50 PM
Lincoln Riley's stock took a plunge tonight but this game reminded me of the Texas loss. We got out-physicaled on both sides of the ball.

winout
12/31/2015, 08:56 PM
aTm got any dissatisfied 5-star OTs?

Okie35
12/31/2015, 08:58 PM
For those who said getting sent to the Orange Bowl was no big deal: I think this game showed how fos you were. I am sitting here watching the MSU and Alabama games with their statute like QBs and it became pretty obvious how much of a better matchup either team would have been for us. I will smile when Watson gets hurt again on a designed run....and he will get hurt again.

Clemson will win out. You should never wish injury on anyone even if you dislike them. Haha that's pretty mean.

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2015, 08:59 PM

Winnah!!

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2015, 09:01 PM
For those who said getting sent to the Orange Bowl was no big deal: I think this game showed how fos you were...

You do realize that no one on this board had any say in the final rankings?

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2015, 09:04 PM

But more seriously, I think we'll be fine at OT after another off season conditioning. We need to be more physical on the interior OL and I think we have some studs in the stable. We'll see.

SoonerMarkVA
12/31/2015, 09:17 PM
Lincoln Riley's stock took a plunge tonight but this game reminded me of the Texas loss. We got out-physicaled on both sides of the ball.

YES. Big time for the defense.

Once Perine, and especially then Mixon, went down, I knew right then we were done because there was no way we were going to have consistent success as a one-dimensional team. So the O's performance was a bit different than whorn, although clearly Mayfield picked a really bad day to have an off day. But the defense--gah, it was so ugly, missing tackles, failing to wrap up, bad angles, and looking like they were in slow motion. Mike laid a major egg.

ObiKaTony
12/31/2015, 09:24 PM
YES. Big time for the defense.

Once Perine, and especially then Mixon, went down, I knew right then we were done because there was no way we were going to have consistent success as a one-dimensional team. So the O's performance was a bit different than whorn, although clearly Mayfield picked a really bad day to have an off day. But the defense--gah, it was so ugly, missing tackles, failing to wrap up, bad angles, and looking like they were in slow motion. Mike laid a major egg.

The defense was out there for 90
Freakin plays. This is the big 12 scorer more than 19
Fuc$ing points

aurorasooner
12/31/2015, 09:25 PM
What sucks even worse than OL tonight was our coaches buying into all that press chatter that these guys had turned the corner this year and were elite, when in-fact they're just average at best.
We've done it all year offensively with Xs/Os, trap blocking and such and the X's/Os were sort of blah today until we fell 3 TDs behind. I think the HT score fooled our coaches and they didn't make any adjustments to the game-plan, did more of the same, and the Clemson staff chewed azz during HT and lit a fire under their players.
11-2 is good year, but I do think that some that is skewed by us playing 3 good teams down the stretch with their starting QBs out/hurt, as well as BMs play and winning the TO battles.
With what I saw in the bowl games from Houston as well as Baylor, our staff better buckle-up or next year's record could easily be the same as last years especially with the Bucs on the schedule.

FaninAma
12/31/2015, 09:26 PM
You do realize that no one on this board had any say in the final rankings?
WTF? What does your statement have to do with anything I said? I merely was pointing out that those who thought it was no big deal that we got dropped to the 4th seed and shipped out to play Clemson were wrong.

Okie35
12/31/2015, 09:27 PM
What sucks even worse than OL tonight was our coaches buying into all that press chatter that these guys had turned the corner this year and were elite, when in-fact they're just average at best.
We've done it all year offensively with Xs/Os, trap blocking and such and the X's/Os were sort of blah today until we fell 3 TDs behind. I think the HT score fooled our coaches and they didn't make any adjustments to the game-plan, did more of the same, and the Clemson staff chewed azz during HT and lit a fire under their players.
11-2 is good year, but I do think that some that is skewed by us playing 3 good teams down the stretch with their starting QBs out/hurt, as well as BMs play and winning the TO battles.
With what I saw in the bowl games from Houston as well as Baylor, our staff better buckle-up or next year's record could easily be the same as last years especially with the Bucs on the schedule.

You say Buckeyes but that Houston game won't be easy either.

FaninAma
12/31/2015, 09:28 PM
Fuc$ing points
I think Venables understands how stubborn the Stoops brothers are and that they would not change their game plans. Did we ever stack the box on defense?

Okie35
12/31/2015, 09:28 PM
WTF? What does your statement have to do with anything I said? I merely was pointing out that those who thought it was no big deal that we got dropped to the 4th seed and shipped out to play Clemson were wrong.

Doesn't matter now and you're right

the only close game in this "bull**** 6" will be this one the rest wont be close ...

Okie35
12/31/2015, 09:31 PM
I think Venables understands how stubborn the Stops brothers are and that they would not change their game plans. Did we ever stack the box on defense?

Not really, no

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2015, 09:36 PM

I just recall you being obsessed about JLEW being happy about getting a 4th seed even though his emotions are irrelevant. As far as people being right or wrong about the Orange Bowl being a better destination - there's no to know since we can't back up and replay history. We do now know our O-line couldn't handle the Clemson D-line and my opinion is we couldn't handle MSU's or Bama's either, but we'll never know. OU played the hand they were dealt and unfortunately, the better team won today.

SoonerMarkVA
12/31/2015, 09:37 PM
Fuc$ing points

Yeah, because they couldn't get off the field. They were playing like garbage long before fatigue set in.

ObiKaTony
12/31/2015, 09:41 PM
We didn't freakin score! We also had 5- 3 and outs...

BoulderSooner79
12/31/2015, 09:59 PM
I'm watching the Cotton bowl and these 2 D-lines look better than Clemson's - Bama is for sure. Our D probably holds up better against these guys, but I don't see us being able to run the ball at all. We just don't face good D-lines in the big12 (which was a good thing this year.)

Soonerjeepman
12/31/2015, 10:07 PM
first drive for clemson, 2nd half.

4 plays, 70 yards, under 2 mins.

knew then we were toast.

Okie35
12/31/2015, 10:50 PM
I'm watching the Cotton bowl and these 2 D-lines look better than Clemson's - Bama is for sure. Our D probably holds up better against these guys, but I don't see us being able to run the ball at all. We just don't face good D-lines in the big12 (which was a good thing this year.)

True...

FaninAma
12/31/2015, 10:51 PM
Yeah, because they couldn't get off the field. They were playing like garbage long before fatigue set in.
Yep. Did Stoops ever bring 7+ into the box?

Soonerjeepman
12/31/2015, 10:53 PM
any blitz we did, Watson ran out of it...

bad tackling AGAIN, just like the texas game.

FaninAma
12/31/2015, 10:54 PM

This.

Indy Sooner
12/31/2015, 11:04 PM

Frighteningly similar: https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/682741750872551424

SoonerMarkVA
12/31/2015, 11:15 PM
Frighteningly similar: https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/682741750872551424

That's pretty scary.

Anyway, this team didn't play like it did from KSU forward (minus TCU, where Mayfield got hurt). I really believe that big run was partly because we didn't get any time off. We kept everything going, every week, and that was the result.

The bad news is, of course, that any bowl--including playoffs--means a break. We obviously have to overcome that if we ever want to have post-season success.

Soonerjeepman
12/31/2015, 11:25 PM
honestly,

I'm thinking IF, bu/tcu/osu had their starting qb's healthy we'd have won 1 game out of those 3, MAYBE 2... osu def and maybe bu.

SoonerMarkVA
12/31/2015, 11:30 PM
honestly,

I'm thinking IF, bu/tcu/osu had their starting qb's healthy we'd have won 1 game out of those 3, MAYBE 2... osu def and maybe bu.

I don't agree. We didn't play tonight like we played from KSU on.

That's not to say it may not have made a difference. But I still think we win all 3, particularly if v. TCU doesn't have Mayfield get hurt.

PhiDeltBeers
12/31/2015, 11:33 PM

That's not to say it may not have made a difference. But I still think we win all 3, particularly if v. TCU doesn't have Mayfield get hurt.

Agreed.

Soonerjeepman
12/31/2015, 11:38 PM

yeah I forgot mayfield got hurt...duh...BUT if Boykin and the receiver was healthy and in the game it definitely would have been a different game, maybe not a loss.

dwarthog
1/1/2016, 09:08 AM

Tackling was just plain awful. I'm beginning to wonder if it's even taught.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/1/2016, 09:56 AM
I didn't think our Defense played all that badly outside of Jordan Thomas in the beginning. It wasn't until Evans went out that they would create formations where we had Shannon and Thomas on the same side that they started gashing us with the run. Up until this point, we've been able to get away with Thomas playing the run like Deon Sanders because of his coverage skills. But tonight, he wasn't even in the same zip code as his guy in passing situations and he got pancaked out of bounds like 10 times on sweeps.

Thomas being so bad against the run allowed them to use a WR to crack block the linebackers with #16. Several of those cracks on Evans were borderline and one of them got him hurt. Once Shannon came in they then went after Alexander with the same stuff and let Shannon isolated on the QB. I don't think he even touched him once.

dwarthog
1/1/2016, 10:15 AM
I was beginning to wonder if Thomas was still sitting in that jail in Chickasha last night. He definitely was not in the game at all.

winout
1/1/2016, 12:44 PM
When you have freshman starters, unless it is an obvious AD situation, you are not coaching effectively. Where is the depth that you don't have juniors or seniors starting? Plus, you have a walk-on QB. These things are very telling.

I'm looking at Alabama's OL starters and they have 2 SR, 1 JR, 1 SO and 1 RFR. We had 2 SR, 1 SO, 1 RFR and 1 FR. I also suspect they have more 5* talent but didn't look at that.

dwarthog
1/1/2016, 01:06 PM
I believe the problem you are describing is one where we basically have 0.0 contributors, maybe not quite that bad but close, with regards to a couple of years of recruiting classes.

That how you get to what you are describing.

Eielson
1/1/2016, 01:11 PM
But more seriously, I think we'll be fine at OT after another off season conditioning. We need to be more physical on the interior OL and I think we have some studs in the stable. We'll see.

I believe we brought in 6 OL next year. One of which was already starting this year (Samia), and that's part of the problem. We'll be better next year, and we'll be even better the following. I think our staff did a phenomenal job covering up this weakness post-Texas.

I think the only position we were truly loaded at was RB, and they were hurt last night.

Mookie91
1/1/2016, 01:14 PM
The O Line has a real chance at being very good but need a bit of an attitude adjustment.

Eielson
1/1/2016, 01:16 PM
The O Line has a real chance at being very good but need a bit of an attitude adjustment.

I don't think so. I think it's a talent adjustment.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/1/2016, 01:51 PM
When you have freshman starters, unless it is an obvious AD situation, you are not coaching effectively. Where is the depth that you don't have juniors or seniors starting? Plus, you have a walk-on QB. These things are very telling.

I'm looking at Alabama's OL starters and they have 2 SR, 1 JR, 1 SO and 1 RFR. We had 2 SR, 1 SO, 1 RFR and 1 FR. I also suspect they have more 5* talent but didn't look at that.

Which was the reason that our old OL coaches lost their jobs in 2013. I'm not exactly sold on Bedenbaugh (mainly because we have no interior linemen right now), but his mid-season adjustments got us to the playoffs so I'll give him that.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2016, 04:59 PM
Which was the reason that our old OL coaches lost their jobs in 2013. I'm not exactly sold on Bedenbaugh (mainly because we have no interior linemen right now), but his mid-season adjustments got us to the playoffs so I'll give him that.

Agreed. Compared to what lined up in the first game and got pushed around by Akron, there was a huge improvement. But we still entered the CFP with the O-line being our weakest link. If I were to pick an area I had to work around as a weakness, the O-line would be the last one on my list. Even an average defense can be protected if the O-line can control the game and keep the D on the bench. Astounding we finished top 5 given the situation.

East Coast Bias
1/1/2016, 07:39 PM
Not a big Alabama fan, but I like the template they use to be in the mix every year. They build their team around the defensive and offensive lines and then move to the skill positions. They can lose players like Cooper and keep on rolling. Rarely does anyone push around either side of their line. That allows them to play pass coverage and on offense the QB always has space to operate.

Mookie91
1/1/2016, 08:08 PM
I don't think so. I think it's a talent adjustment.

Samia and Brown have shown flashes.

BoulderSooner79
1/1/2016, 09:15 PM
Not a big Alabama fan, but I like the template they use to be in the mix every year. They build their team around the defensive and offensive lines and then move to the skill positions. They can lose players like Cooper and keep on rolling. Rarely does anyone push around either side of their line. That allows them to play pass coverage and on offense the QB always has space to operate.

I have nothing against Bama other than sick of them being at the top every year - I want other fans to be sick of OU being at the top every year. But I must tip my cap for the game plan they used yesterday. Everyone figured it would be a steady diet of Henry and the power run game. But they knew that would be a grind against a very good MSU front, so they attacked a much more vulnerable MSU secondary with their skill and speed. They were not afraid to make Coker the star of the game and it paid off with an easy, blow out win.

Since71ASooner4Life
1/2/2016, 10:41 AM

What you say about the OL/DL is true, but its also true that Alabama has built their entire team around bringing in 5-star talent at every position. The #1 overall HS recruit Da'shawn Hand in 2014 is currently last on their DL depth chart - that is insane. Everyone wants to be part of a winner, and they are enjoying the luxurious position they have earned. They don't recruit - they select

It seems like every year they have a new group of stars who never got much playing time previously, and suddenly they are upper classmen ready for the NFL. I thought about that and wondered how they keep a kid like Da'shawn Hand happy hardly playing for 2~3 years after HS. I think the formula is that they've proven "one and done" to be just as likely a route to the NFL, and the sales pitch is that in doing so, not only do you lessen the chances of injury prior to your big payday, you have less mileage on your body and a longer paying NFL career in front of you.

Tear Down This Wall
1/2/2016, 11:52 AM

Agree 135% with that. I predicted we'd lose 3 to 5 games; we lost two. Playing Baylor and TCU without their Heisman candidate QBs figured into the one game difference.

I think we would have beaten Oklahoma State even if they'd had their starter because their defense was horrible.

The other game that played into our favor was the Kansas State tilt. K-State was unsettled at QB all year, to the point of playing a WR at QB many times.

But, to me, the elephant in the room is, rally, the conference competition level: it isn't very high. I don't think it's very far above the AAC.

I think Ohio State will manhandle us next season. Houston might hang with us long enough to win in the end. If so, that will show how far the conference has fallen down.

And, it is questionable as to whether this coaching staff can get the team up for Texas anymore, even as hopelessly sh*tty as Texas has become. They've beaten us physically three years in a row with teams that had no business being within three touchdowns of us.

I predict 3-5 losses again next year.

Eielson
1/2/2016, 01:25 PM
I predict 3-5 losses again next year.

Hooray! We're losing two games at most next year! Thanks!

oudivesherpa
1/3/2016, 01:51 PM
You say Buckeyes but that Houston game won't be easy either.

I live in Houston. I graduated from OU and the U of H, but my kids and money go to OU. That being said, U of H is really pumped about the OU game and how a victory would elevate them to National status. The game is at NRG stadium which holds 75,000. Hopefully, OU ticket allotment will be at least 30,000 and OU fans will show up in droves. What worries me is that we will only get about 5,000 tickets and Houston will have 70,000 fans there. If I can get extra tickets (OU season ticket holder but only with two seats) I plan to bring Kids and Grandkids from Oklahoma, Georgia and Virginia. Let's make the NGR and the trip to Houston feel like a home game for OU!