PDA

View Full Version : Ickey Woods Number On Super Bowl Helmet

jkjsooner
12/23/2015, 08:36 PM
I was watching the 1989 Super Bowl today on the NFL Network. I noticed that Ickey Woods had a number written on the side of his helmet. I looked it up and the number was Stanley Wilson's number. I know Wilson missed the Super Bowl because of a cocaine binge. Does anyone know if the number of Wood's helmet was in fact for Stanley Wilson?

Just curious.

Pride1Mom
12/24/2015, 12:32 PM
The personal story of Stanley Wilson is truly one of the saddest. He became a "street person" and many people tried to help him. Some torments are never gotten over......

Since71ASooner4Life
12/24/2015, 03:14 PM
He was #32

I actually met him when he was in the hospital (Fort Hamilton Hughes) after that super bowl debacle. A friend of mine was 2 or 3 rooms away from him. She was in there for similar problems. I went to visit her and he strolls into her room like a college kid walking into a friends dorm room. We ended up playing cards and talking about the things 20 years old kids talk about. I remember being amazed at how disproportionally short he looked for a guy in the NFL, and how ridiculously large his legs were.

He is locked up in a California prison last I checked. I've thought about writing him a letter and mentioning our chance meeting nearly 30 years ago.

jkjsooner
12/24/2015, 07:16 PM
You can see the number in this photo if you zoom in.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/woods.jpg

Since71ASooner4Life
12/25/2015, 05:59 AM
You can see the number in this photo if you zoom in.

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/woods.jpg

My recollection is he was #32, but its been a long time. His final act of blunder with the Cincinnati Bengals was the night before or the morning of the Super Bowl, when he went back to his hotel room to allegedly get the playbook he's forgot, but it was actually for a cocaine binge. The team did know before the game started what had happened, so it wouldn't be surprising if Ickey Woods had hand written the number of his blocking back teammate on his helmet.

As I think about it more, I believe when I met him it was actually not after the 1989 super bowl, but after incidents which led to earlier year long suspensions from the league. My friend who was in the hospital at the same time had developed a drug and alcohol problem after 3 family members were murdered in 1984. I'm thinking it must during the time which led to Wilson's year long suspension in 1985. I remember signing in at the hospital and seeing Cincinnati Bengal plays signatures on the sign in list, and that when I realized he was there. Then like I said he comes strolling into my friends room (obviously they had developed some friendship as patients together) and she introduces him as "Stan". As bad as I wanted to, I dont think I acknowledged that I knew who he was or my love of the Sooners, because I knew he was there to get serious about solving his problems and not be distracted by "fan dialog".

I'm glad you made this post. He's probably just another forgotten soul that sits rotting in prison these days, and would probably appreciate to get that "anonymous" letter I've thought about writing him, which I'm now thinking I need to finally go thru with and get it done. It might brighten one day in his life to get a letter 30 years later from someone who met him and remembered him under those circumstances, and took the time to wish him well.

jkjsooner
12/25/2015, 12:13 PM
Nice post, 71.