PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Thomas arrested for failure to appear in court

Okie35
12/13/2015, 11:33 AM
Oklahoma cornerback Jordan Thomas was arrested by Grady County police late Saturday night for failure to appear in court for a traffic violation.

Thomas was ticketed by Oklahoma Highway Patrol for speeding in July. Court records show he was going 94 mph in a 75 mph zone. His drivers license was suspended Oct. 1 and a warrant was issued Nov. 19.

Thomas owes $321.50 for the ticket and subsequent fees as of Dec. 13.

Thomas, a sophomore, was suspended for the Sooners' third game of 2015 against Tulsa for a violation of team rules.

Junior cornerback Zack Sanchez called Thomas the best cornerback in the Big 12 after he held now-Biletnikoff winner Corey Coleman to three catches for 51 yards in Oklahoma's 44-34 win over Baylor.

“JT's the best corner in the Big 12 right now by far and one of the best in the country,” Sanchez said. “That was a big thing for him. Once he got his confidence down, his ability speaks for itself. He has all the intangibles. He's a smart, instinctive player. He's big. He got in Corey's face and did his job.

http://m.oudaily.com/sports/oklahoma-football-jordan-thomas-arrested-for-failure-to-appear-in/article_9ec2bd5a-a1a8-11e5-b640-fb588ae53a15.html?mode=jqm

rock on sooner
12/13/2015, 11:42 AM
DAYUM, DAYUM, DAYUM!

yermom
12/13/2015, 12:48 PM
I thought we paid our players better than that!

Seriously though, coming up with $300 ish dollars in college can be difficult. You'd think he'd just stay out of Grady County for a while :)

cherokeebrewer
12/13/2015, 12:53 PM
It would have been much easier if he had just paid the fine and be done with it. Heck, I had impeccable judgement when I was 19...

SoonerorLater
12/13/2015, 02:49 PM

Seriously though, coming up with $300 ish dollars in college can be difficult. You'd think he'd just stay out of Grady County for a while :)

Exactly. When I was in college there were times where it would have been hard to come up 5 dollars. Also if somebody would have given him the money to pay the fine, the school could be looking at an NCAA Investigation.

cherokeebrewer
12/13/2015, 04:50 PM
I agree that the money to pay a fine can be problematic for a college kid, especially if someone in their family won't pony up. I suppose the moral of that story is not to get a speeding ticket. I never got a speeding ticket while in college, likely because I didn't have a car...lol

oudivesherpa
12/13/2015, 05:26 PM
Is the Grady County DA a cowpoke or is Grady County like one of the counties in the Duke's of Hazard?

Soonerjeepman
12/13/2015, 07:41 PM

college? hell I can't do that now...at least not worth the speeding for that money.

SoonerForLife92
12/14/2015, 12:14 AM
Well God****ing damnit.

Really glad Dakota Austin got some good playing time earlier. Maybe Stoops can pull an sec and just suspend him for a half... Or not at all! :biggrin:

Okie35
12/14/2015, 01:56 AM
Well God****ing damnit.

Really glad Dakota Austin got some good playing time earlier. Maybe Stoops can pull an sec and just suspend him for a half... Or not at all! :biggrin:

I don't think he will be suspended at all TBH. I'm just distraught because he should've just went to court and maybe the fine would've been lowered. All would've been clear.

SoonerForLife92
12/14/2015, 02:31 AM
I don't think he will be suspended at all TBH. I'm just distraught because he should've just went to court and maybe the fine would've been lowered. All would've been clear.

You're probably right but idk since this isn't his first screw up this year.

As others have pointed out he probably just had no way to get the money together so freaked and didn't know what to do

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/14/2015, 07:35 AM
Hopefully he will realize that real life requires that you pay attention to legal issues.

KantoSooner
12/14/2015, 09:04 AM
theres a thing in most cars called 'cruise control'. it is your friend on the highway. set it at 80 in 75 zones and you will never be ticketed. speeding tickets are for morons.

olevetonahill
12/14/2015, 09:34 AM
theres a thing in most cars called 'cruise control'. it is your friend on the highway. set it at 80 in 75 zones and you will never be ticketed. speeding tickets are for morons, and 19 year olds.

FIFY

KantoSooner
12/14/2015, 10:02 AM
as a former 19 year old my own self, i assert that there's scant daylight between the two

badger
12/14/2015, 11:09 AM
Me after hearing about Jordan: I really, really need to go pay that parking ticket, or they're going to make me play cornerback versus Clemson :P

Pride1Mom
12/14/2015, 12:15 PM
You can't fix stupid. I know young people don't think through things, but I am sure that OU goes through what is EXPECTED of their players. Failure to appear is not acceptable behavior. When you know you do not have money to pay for poor decisions: speeding, getting arrested, etc., DON'T DO THEM.

KantoSooner
12/14/2015, 01:31 PM
better yet: go to the court, explain yourself and set a payment plan. courts are quite amenable to that

yermom
12/14/2015, 01:40 PM
better yet: go to the court, explain yourself and set a payment plan. courts are quite amenable to that

also, it's expensive being poor.

Turd_Ferguson
12/14/2015, 01:59 PM

This. Been there, done that. Judge was actually very cordial about it, which is nice when you're a young dumb ***, scared that you're getting ready to go to max penitentiary for an unpaid speeding ticket. :D

Tear Down This Wall
12/14/2015, 02:07 PM
Exactly. When I was in college there were times where it would have been hard to come up 5 dollars. Also if somebody would have given him the money to pay the fine, the school could be looking at an NCAA Investigation.

What about the $3-$4,000 stipend the players now get so that they would quit whining about "not being like the non-athlete students?" Did he spend all of his already, in just two or three months?

Okie35
12/14/2015, 02:49 PM
What about the $3-$4,000 stipend the players now get so that they would quit whining about "not being like the non-athlete students?" Did he spend all of his already, in just two or three months?

You would be surprised how fast that can go, especially if you live off campus.

KantoSooner
12/14/2015, 03:01 PM
This. Been there, done that. Judge was actually very cordial about it, which is nice when you're a young dumb ***, scared that you're getting ready to go to max penitentiary for an unpaid speeding ticket. :D
biggest thing judges hate? being ignored.

manateepower
12/14/2015, 03:17 PM

Living costs money, even if you have a scholarship. I don't know what world you live in.

Would you be happy if your job payed a small stipend and put you up in a dorm for free?

Tear Down This Wall
12/14/2015, 04:07 PM
Living costs money, even if you have a scholarship. I don't know what world you live in.

Would you be happy if your job payed a small stipend and put you up in a dorm for free?

The real world. Thanks.

His room and board is paid for, as well as books and tuition. So, again - looks like he's spending his stipend on things he wants instead of taking care of more important things first.

I thought OU - and, really, most schools - now had people on staff to help students learn how to not be knuckleheads. He's already been suspended twice...so, whomever it is who is assigned to these players to make sure they are not getting in trouble needs to step up his or her game with this kid.

Turd_Ferguson
12/14/2015, 04:25 PM
The real world. Thanks.

His room and board is paid for, as well as books and tuition. So, again - looks like he's spending his stipend on things he wants instead of taking care of more important things first.

I thought OU - and, really, most schools - now had people on staff to help students learn how to not be knuckleheads. He's already been suspended twice...so, whomever it is who is assigned to these players to make sure they are not getting in trouble needs to step up his or her game with this kid.

Yes, I agree.

SoonerForLife92
12/14/2015, 06:05 PM
His room and board is paid for, as well as books and tuition

Are books paid for in full with a football scholarship? The price of those in any given semester can vary greatly

Okie35
12/14/2015, 06:29 PM
The real world. Thanks.

Not ALL true and does anyone know if he really lives in the dorms?

Are books paid for in full with a football scholarship? The price of those in any given semester can vary greatly

No. Stipends are for college expenses(outside of tuition which is paid), living expenses, and personal. Also, they vary the only ppl that know how much Thomas had is Thomas and the financial department.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2015, 07:24 PM
Is it known Thomas had money problems? My first guess is that he was simply irresponsible in this instance and didn't bother to show up. The courts get a lot of that.

Tear Down This Wall
12/14/2015, 07:26 PM
A “full” athletic scholarship covers the following costs of college: tuition, certain course-related fees, room and board, and the value or provision of books. An athletic scholarship may not cover all student fees, and also may not cover things like parking fines, a single room in the dorm, library fines or late fees, etc.

http://informedathlete.com/athletic-scholarships-financial-aid-issues/

So:
(1) He jugheaded his stipend, thus couldn't pay the fine or
(2) Didn't jughead the money, but didn't want to pay the fine.

Given his two prior suspensions, I'd lean toward (2). But, wouldn't be shocked if it was (1).

He needs a new "Bridge Builder"...or, to listen more closely to the one assigned to him:
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208803575

Soonerfan88
12/14/2015, 07:29 PM
Yes, books are paid for in football scholarship. There have been several schools get in trouble with the NCAA because the players didn't return the books like they were supposed to and sold them instead. Also, if you don't live in the dorms, you get a housing stipend equivalent to dorm cost that you are expected to use for rent & utilities.

The stipend is intended to help pay for things like computers, other supplies like pencils & notebooks, and transportation costs. Like most other college students who get a refund after the student loan pays their bursar bill, athletes blow it on things like new rims, large tvs, gaming consoles, tattoos, bling, etc. The stipends vary by school but not by individuals at the school.

Eielson
12/14/2015, 07:34 PM
Is it known Thomas had money problems? My first guess is that he was simply irresponsible in this instance and didn't bother to show up. The courts get a lot of that.

Yeah...not sure how this thread became about money.

Tear Down This Wall
12/14/2015, 07:35 PM
Yes, books are paid for in football scholarship. There have been several schools get in trouble with the NCAA because the players didn't return the books like they were supposed to and sold them instead. Also, if you don't live in the dorms, you get a housing stipend equivalent to dorm cost that you are expected to use for rent & utilities.

The stipend is intended to help pay for things like computers, other supplies like pencils & notebooks, and transportation costs. Like most other college students who get a refund after the student loan pays their bursar bill, athletes blow it on things like new rims, large tvs, gaming consoles, tattoos, bling, etc. The stipends vary by school but not by individuals at the school.

As long as the TV and rims were worth more than the fine...? Would be interested to hear the "Bridge Builder's" advice.

Okie35
12/14/2015, 09:26 PM

Exactly. /thread

manateepower
12/15/2015, 12:43 AM
The real world. Thanks.

Instead of making making cynical, ignorant statements about someone's financial decisions, maybe you could develop a little empathy and abandon your simplistic "all of you college athletes are the same" way of thinking.

No, he shouldn't have been speeding, no should not have skipped out on court. Doesn't make a person this awful unredeeming anomination. I know people who work hard, can't afford speeding tickets, and are caught up in there day to day responsibilities, and obligations, such as appearing in court, occasionally slip their minds. Not excusable, but mistakes are made, except for you and your obviously limited, insular circle of friends.

So, he got suspended twice. Have you worked with disadvantaged kids? I have. Many of them do their best with the their unfavorable situations and are prone to doing dumb things, but instead of being so cynical, I try to help show them why what they did was wrong, some learn and go on to live fulfilling g lives, others unfortunately dont.

But your "they are all irresponsible knuckleheads", is tired, ignorant and doesn't accomplish anything

CincySooner
12/15/2015, 09:21 AM

I had an academic stipend in a similar amount... it goes pretty fast when you go to the grocery store instead of eating McDonald's every day.

MiccoMacey
12/15/2015, 10:26 AM
Apparently, the ticket was sent to his parents house in Houston. He didn't know it hadn't been paid. He probably just didn't communicate with his Mom and Dad.

When I was at OSU, I got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign...while on my bike. I thought it was stupid, and I refused to pay it.

Well, they came for me but luckily I was in class. My roommate stopped me before I got to the apartment and told me to go pay the fine before they came back. I did, and it ended up being $10 more because it was late.

Point being, kids do stupid things some times. It's not always about blowing money on needless things. Sometimes it's just poor decisions.

Or in Jordan's case, a lack of good communication.

badger
12/15/2015, 10:40 AM
I remember scholarship kids with stipends spending it at the Cate Center store on snacks and sodas, or at the bookstore on the OU logoed pencils, notebooks and other overpriced stuff... and then be miffed when OU's bursar had an outstanding bill of them at the end of the semester for student fees, etc.

You could put a $10,000 stipend in scholarship students' hands and they would find ways to spend it frivolously, athlete or otherwise. An honors student on a full scholarship lamented in a poli sci class that she "had car payments" and that a full ride to OU was not really a full ride because she had other expenses too. Derp.

Anyways, glad Jordan got it taken care of. He has a big assignment ahead in Clemson

swardboy
12/15/2015, 11:06 AM
Amazing the reaction to possibly losing one player for a bowl game. And deservedly so. Wins and championships are very fragile things. It's not just about quarterbacks and receivers and running backs.

If we win out, I for one won't take it for granted.

KantoSooner
12/15/2015, 12:10 PM
Hearing now that it WAS paid. On time. And that the whole thing was Grady County clerical error. Don't know credibility, but if so, that makes the judge mental look a bit silly.

Tear Down This Wall
12/15/2015, 12:15 PM
Instead of making making cynical, ignorant statements about someone's financial decisions, maybe you could develop a little empathy and abandon your simplistic "all of you college athletes are the same" way of thinking.

No, he shouldn't have been speeding, no should not have skipped out on court. Doesn't make a person this awful unredeeming anomination. I know people who work hard, can't afford speeding tickets, and are caught up in there day to day responsibilities, and obligations, such as appearing in court, occasionally slip their minds. Not excusable, but mistakes are made, except for you and your obviously limited, insular circle of friends.

So, he got suspended twice. Have you worked with disadvantaged kids? I have. Many of them do their best with the their unfavorable situations and are prone to doing dumb things, but instead of being so cynical, I try to help show them why what they did was wrong, some learn and go on to live fulfilling g lives, others unfortunately dont.

But your "they are all irresponsible knuckleheads", is tired, ignorant and doesn't accomplish anything

Stop revising. I knock the kid for not taking care of simple business. I said nothing about speeding or getting a ticket.

Also, if it weren't such a problem, schools wouldn't devote extra money to positions within their athletic departments for things like "Student Life" coaches...or, as they are called at OU, "Bridge Builders."

My point is two-fold, no matter how many times you miss it:
(1) The athletes can't simply play the "I'm poor" card anymore for everything because the NCAA now allows them to have jobs AND allows the schools to give them stipends.
(2) OU does have a mentoring program in place for "disadvantaged" kids, but in spite of it, Thomas has been suspended twice for internal things and arrested once for an external issue.

There are about 90+ other kids on the roster who aren't in his situation, so I'll stick by my "knucklehead" analysis of him until he shows us otherwise.

KantoSooner
12/15/2015, 01:29 PM
Since it now appears that the ticket was handled properly and the problem was one of county clerk error, we can all drop this.

MiccoMacey
12/15/2015, 01:41 PM
Stop revising. I knock the kid for not taking care of simple business. I said nothing about speeding or getting a ticket.

Also, if it weren't such a problem, schools wouldn't devote extra money to positions within their athletic departments for things like "Student Life" coaches...or, as they are called at OU, "Bridge Builders."

My point is two-fold, no matter how many times you miss it:
(1) The athletes can't simply play the "I'm poor" card anymore for everything because the NCAA now allows them to have jobs AND allows the schools to give them stipends.
(2) OU does have a mentoring program in place for "disadvantaged" kids, but in spite of it, Thomas has been suspended twice for internal things and arrested once for an external issue.

There are about 90+ other kids on the roster who aren't in his situation, so I'll stick by my "knucklehead" analysis of him until he shows us otherwise.Yes, but neither of your scenarios is the case.

He's not playing the "I'm a poor college student", nor is he a "disadvantaged" kid. If he were, you and I would be in agreement.

It went to his Mom and Dad's house. He thought it was paid. This jives with what Kanto was saying, that it was a clerical error, not his.

swardboy
12/15/2015, 01:42 PM
Since it now appears that the ticket was handled properly and the problem was one of county clerk error, we can all drop this.

How 'bout the sequel? "Lawsuit!"

herecomedajudge
12/15/2015, 02:00 PM
What's the source of info that ticket was paid and warrant resulted from clerical error.

herecomedajudge
12/15/2015, 02:04 PM
Got some doubts about "ticket got mailed to parents house" Troopers give ticket to driver on the spot, and it has court appearance time and date. Notice of suspension would be mailed to address on license. That might have been parents.

herecomedajudge
12/15/2015, 02:24 PM
OSCN docket shows ticket 321.50 pd by Jordan Thomas on 12/14/15. Order of release and a guilty plea that same day. Clerical error appears unlikely.

MiccoMacey
12/16/2015, 03:34 PM
Got some doubts about "ticket got mailed to parents house" Troopers give ticket to driver on the spot, and it has court appearance time and date. Notice of suspension would be mailed to address on license. That might have been parents.It's true. I saw it on the internet. ;)
I was told that's what his girlfriend tweeted that out. Who knows exactly. I doubt we ever know for 100% certainty. Out of all this, I think the bigger point is that you never know why someone did (or didn't) do something. To just chalk it up as "knuckleheadedness" just seems a bit too much rush to judgment, IMHO.

badger
12/16/2015, 04:03 PM
He's gonna play in the Orange Bowl.
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/ou-sports--jordan-thomas-set-to-start-orange-bowl/article_b1054913-1b41-5ebb-9c2f-9d598a7a124d.html)

“Just a mix-up… with the family paying a traffic ticket,” Stoops said. “Nothing else to talk about. It’s pretty simple. That happens to everybody.”

I think Bob is giving us clearance to drop this :D

Okie35
12/16/2015, 04:44 PM
He's gonna play in the Orange Bowl.
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/ou-sports--jordan-thomas-set-to-start-orange-bowl/article_b1054913-1b41-5ebb-9c2f-9d598a7a124d.html)

I think Bob is giving us clearance to drop this :D

Thanks for the info even if it wasn't a mix up I'm sure he was going to play anyway.

dwarthog
12/17/2015, 08:15 AM
One thing is for certain in this deal.

He got some quality self reflection time this weekend and hopefully came to the conclusion that as TDTW says, a little prompt attention to these kinds of things is in his own self interest.

A lesson learned hopefully.

Tear Down This Wall
12/17/2015, 12:09 PM
Yes, but neither of your scenarios is the case.

He's not playing the "I'm a poor college student", nor is he a "disadvantaged" kid. If he were, you and I would be in agreement.

It went to his Mom and Dad's house. He thought it was paid. This jives with what Kanto was saying, that it was a clerical error, not his.

Hmmm. What is the name of this police force again? Police Force That Doesn't Hand You A Speeding Ticket When They Pull You Over For Speeding, But Agrees To Send It To Your Parents' House Instead?

Hello, McFly? Police officers and highway patrolmen HAND you the ticket to sign and TELL you how much time you have to respond...AND, some will even flip it over to show you where the court is located and what the protocol is for taking care of the ticket. Does Jordan Thomas not read or speak English or something?

It's simple: The kid gets his room paid for, his meals paid for, his tuition paid for, his books paid for, is given a stipend...but, somehow can't be expected to do something as menial showing up in court to respond to a ticket? Most these days will allow you to either MAIL in the fine or...now, imagine this in 2015: PAY THE FINE ONLINE! He couldn't flip open his free, university-issued laptop and pay his fine?

OU has "bridge builders" to help these poor, defenseless student athletes cope with the "real world"...or, what passes for the "real world" on college campuses.

Given his two prior suspensions for breaking team rules, plus this, I think it's safe to say that this is a kid who doesn't use his head well...even with help from "bridge builders."

Parents' house. Give me a break. How much f'ing coddling do these players need?

cherokeebrewer
12/17/2015, 02:52 PM
Given his two prior suspensions for breaking team rules, plus this, I think it's safe to say that this is a kid who doesn't use his head well...even with help from "bridge builders."

Parents' house. Give me a break. How much f'ing coddling do these players need?

This may not be the case and please forgive me if it's not, but you come across as a very angry and judgemental person...