PDA

View Full Version : Bama gets their 2nd Heisman

Mazeppa
12/12/2015, 11:27 PM
Only 2 Heismans? You would think with all their success they would have more.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/

SoonerStormchaser
12/13/2015, 05:56 AM
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll find a way to claim 15 more before New Years.

KantoSooner
12/13/2015, 09:23 AM
What does it imply when their all-world coaches can't make headman winners out of 6 star recruits?

SoonerMarkVA
12/13/2015, 04:10 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll find a way to claim 15 more before New Years.

So dang funny. I was reading some comments about the case for each of the guys who was talked about but not invited (Baker of course) and they were mostly 'Bama fans stating why Henry was the no-brainer and there was no reason to talk about this. But what struck me was one of the guys who made the typical comments about Henry, but then finished it with, "Now, let's go and bring home NC #16!" I about split my gut at what a stereotypical elephant that guy was.

lexsooner
12/13/2015, 04:21 PM
Only 2 Heismans? You would think with all their success they would have more.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/

Bama should have gotten one in the early 70s but Johnny Musso was robbed by Johnny Rodgers. ;)

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2015, 04:58 PM
I think one thing that hurt McCaffrey was that everyone kept pushing his all purpose yardage record. I think all purpose yards, and in particular, kickoff return yardage gets discounted. Heck, I tend to discount them because a touch back nets 25 yards, so I think they should only count yardage past the 25. But McCaffrey *rushed* for over 1800 yards that's into Heisman territory all by itself. Add in receiving yards and punt returns and he was definitely into elite territory. I think he was the most entertaining player to watch in all of CFB. Not that that implies Heisman, but that's a lot to say from me since I a huge (and biased) fan of Mayfield, Perine and Sheppard.

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2015, 06:19 PM
Oklahoma should have gotten one in the early 70s but Greg Pruitt was robbed by Johnny Rodgers. ;)
FIFY

rock on sooner
12/13/2015, 07:05 PM
Bama should have gotten one in the early 70s but Johnny Musso was robbed by Johnny Rodgers. ;)

With respect to Pruitt, Johnny Rodgers and three of his "blocking in back"
friends were the culprits. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm an ol' fart but my memory
(and YouTube) know the facts! BTW, that weren't the only things involved
in the robbery!...Ima jus sayin....

Sabanball
12/13/2015, 09:38 PM
Obviously, we're glad to see Derrick win it. Breaking Herschel's record that has stood for 34 yrs on 40 less carries by DH is significant. Hopefully going forward we can continue to catch up with the very rich Heisman tradition of the Sooners.

lexsooner
12/13/2015, 09:46 PM
With respect to Pruitt, Johnny Rodgers and three of his "blocking in back"
friends were the culprits. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm an ol' fart but my memory
(and YouTube) know the facts! BTW, that weren't the only things involved
in the robbery!...Ima jus sayin....

Johnny received a pardon in 2013 for the felony conviction in the gas station robbery. The committee felt his three other subsequent brushes with the law and statements from witness and co-defendants that Johnny brandished a gun in the robbery should not diminish from the fact that Johnny is a changed man, merely misunderstood, and a fine, upstanding citizen of Nebraska.

Harris County Sooner
12/13/2015, 10:04 PM
Johnny received a pardon in 2013 for the felony conviction in the gas station robbery. The committee felt his three other subsequent brushes with the law and statements from witness and co-defendants that Johnny brandished a gun in the robbery should not diminish from the fact that Johnny is a changed man, merely misunderstood, and a fine, upstanding citizen of Nebraska.

I love revisionist history

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2015, 10:43 PM
Didn't he beat up a cable guy that was trying to disconnect for non payment with the trophy?

badger
12/14/2015, 11:11 AM
Congrats to Derrick

lexsooner
12/14/2015, 11:57 AM
Didn't he beat up a cable guy that was trying to disconnect for non payment with the trophy?

In 1985 he threatened a Cox cable guy with a gun after the cable guy tried to disconnect Rodgers' cable for nonpayment. He got six months in jail for that conduct. Since it took place in San Diego, Rodgers has not received a pardon. It is not clear if it was the same gun he used to rob the gas station in Nebraska in 1970. Rodgers has claimed he did not use a gun and the gas station heist was nothing more than three drunk guys pulling a prank with no weapon involved. However, witnesses and co-defendants reported Rodgers brandished a handgun during the robbery, which netted $90. His offense was reduced from armed robbery to felony larceny and he did not miss any playing time. He had a couple of other brushes with the law, but has been clean the past couple of decades. This is not uncommon for criminals, who often burn out in middle age.

mainline13
12/14/2015, 07:13 PM

He was required to pay with the trophy?