PDA

View Full Version : It's a start...

delhalew
12/9/2015, 01:06 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/14321459/big-12-schools-required-schedule-game-power-5-team-notre-dame-fighting-irish-going-forward

So the Big 12 mandates one Power 5 opponent in the non-conference each year, in addition to limiting FCS opponents to one.

I would prefer doing away with FCS opponents entirely, and having an additional rotation of conference to conference matchups at a neutral site, in addition to whatever home and home a school can schedule. Think this year the Big 12 matches up with Pac 12. Next year B1G, SEC the next...ect.

Baylor can cry about having to act like the big boys they claim to be, but this one step closer to having more quality football to watch.

Okie35
12/9/2015, 01:08 AM
Yea but Baylor will still schedule teams like Vandy, Virginia, etc...

I totally agree w/ the rotational thing playing power 5s... I remember on a show I think Mack Brown said how about you just pay the FCS teams and scrimmage them rather than have them on your regular schedule or just do away w/ them. I think everyone should just straight up play power 5 teams, period OOC.

yermom
12/9/2015, 01:11 AM
Sometimes OU steals Bowling Green and you have to schedule The Citadel

UNC had tOSU cancel on them I think, that's why they ended up with two FCS teams this year.

delhalew
12/9/2015, 01:16 AM
Even at that, they would be less of an embarrassment than they currently are. Same goes to the other Big 12 teams that had an embarrassing schedule this past season.

Group of 5 teams would be better than some of the trash on non conference schedules this year.
I am never embarrassed to see Tulsa on our schedule. At least they aren't FCS.
I actually get angry when I do see an FCS team on our schedule.

hawaii 5-0
12/9/2015, 02:36 AM
I'm all for getting rid of FCS teams on schedules.

Play real teams or suffer the consequences.

5-0

swardboy
12/9/2015, 08:49 AM
This is gonna kill Troy State. My son played there. They made bank on Miami, LSU, Missouri, etc. And occasionally beat them.

delhalew
12/9/2015, 08:53 AM
Most teams will still schedule one FCS team.
I don't think they should, but they will.

delhalew
12/9/2015, 08:54 AM
And of course, the SEC still needs cupcakes for November.

achiro
12/9/2015, 09:00 AM
Unless all the power conferences are set up the same way, this would be stupid.

delhalew
12/9/2015, 09:03 AM
Not really.
The Big 12 can't compete without a strong ooc slate, considering the missing "13th data point".

Pride1Mom
12/9/2015, 09:42 AM
And of course, the SEC still needs cupcakes for November.

SEC schedules those cupcakes at the end of the year to still be playing, but treat it like a bye week, and yet show another win at the end of the season. Not a bad strategy to rest your wounded.......

delhalew
12/9/2015, 10:25 AM
SEC schedules those cupcakes at the end of the year to still be playing, but treat it like a bye week, and yet show another win at the end of the season. Not a bad strategy to rest your wounded.......

I think it's disgusting.
Don't show me that pathetic excuse for a football game in the month of November.

oupride
12/9/2015, 02:19 PM
The Baylor rule.

winout
12/9/2015, 02:52 PM
Can we add the "Oklahoma Schedule" to the "Oklahoma Drill" in CFB lore? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_drill

Kudos to Stoops and Castiglione for always giving us a good schedule. It's one of the reasons we got into the playoff this year and BU and TCU didn't last year.

Soonerjeepman
12/9/2015, 04:10 PM
IF Stanford only had 1 loss we'd be out..no matter how tough our schedule was.

This is fine, but not having a CCG will eventually hurt us IF there are 5 conf championships with the same record.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/9/2015, 04:30 PM

This is fine, but not having a CCG will eventually hurt us IF there are 5 conf championships with the same record.

I do think you are correct. I think over time it will probably hurt OU not having a CCG.

I don't agree that OU will automatically lose out to other 1 loss teams no matter what the schedule is. Here is a hypothetical: Next year OU beats Ohio St, drops a conference game say at TCU in early October. OU then runs the table, TCU loses 2 games and OU again is the clear conference champ with one loss. Ohio St wins the Big 10. I don't know that a 12-1 Ohio St team automatically gets in over an 11-1 Oklahoma team that beats them.

I do think not have a CCG game limits OU's options of making a playoff unless the situation plays out similar to this year or OU goes undefeated of course.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2015, 07:23 PM

Of course a lack of a CCG could hurt us. But it could help us too - as it did this year. Everyone seems to take it for granted that we would have been in this year even if we had a CCG. Go ask Iowa about that as they were #4 before the CCG weekend. If we "back date" the situation, the CCG in '03 would have cost us a playoff slot. Only the rigid BCS formula saved us. In '08, we didn't need it as we were already ranked BCS #1 and the game was a mis-match. But we lost Murray on the opening kick-off which had a huge impact on the BCS final.

To me, the question is how often does the CCG help vs. how often does it hurt? The angst over that question used to be reversed when the big12 had a CCG and the big10 did not (and I think the Pac10 as well). Fans seem to just worry about whatever they don't have and take for granted what they do.

yermom
12/9/2015, 09:29 PM
Mizzou could have probably done without the CCG in 2007...

And isn't Troy in the Sun Belt or something? Is that a thing anymore?

Soonerjeepman
12/9/2015, 10:37 PM
Of course a lack of a CCG could hurt us. But it could help us too - as it did this year. Everyone seems to take it for granted that we would have been in this year even if we had a CCG. Go ask Iowa about that as they were #4 before the CCG weekend. If we "back date" the situation, the CCG in '03 would have cost us a playoff slot. Only the rigid BCS formula saved us. In '08, we didn't need it as we were already ranked BCS #1 and the game was a mis-match. But we lost Murray on the opening kick-off which had a huge impact on the BCS final.

To me, the question is how often does the CCG help vs. how often does it hurt? The angst over that question used to be reversed when the big12 had a CCG and the big10 did not (and I think the Pac10 as well). Fans seem to just worry about whatever they don't have and take for granted what they do.

totally agree, but considering we were the "minority" with a CCG in 03...the rest couldn't complain. Now that we are the only one without one it will hurt. Pac12 is already lobbying that it's unfair, the rest will follow suit, especially if OU wins it all this year...."OU had an extra week off..blah blah blah"

As far as Iowa...did the Big 10 champ get in? yes they did. IF, the P5 champions all have 1 loss, then it will hurt "us" the Big12.

Obviously if the championship games all have a team with 2 losses...if msu had 2 losses and beat iowa...and they beat an undefeated team them it could even out.

I'm not lobbying for the Big12 to get a CCG...just saying IMHO it will hurt more than help...or be 50/50 at best...so far we are 1/1 = 50%

yermom
12/9/2015, 11:07 PM
I'd rather see us add a couple of new not as good teams and go down to 8 conference games and let us play two P5 teams OOC again and add a CCG

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2015, 11:23 PM
I'm not lobbying for the Big12 to get a CCG...just saying IMHO it will hurt more than help...or be 50/50 at best...so far we are 1/1 = 50%

I'm talking about *our* fans complaining when we had a CCG and some others didn't. My point is fans complain no matter what - even when they are handed a gift horse.

As far as a lack of CCG hurting more than it helps - I'm just not seeing the data. Of course, most that is based on the BCS and not the committee. I still think Baylor's OOC schedule was a much bigger factor last year than the lack of a 13th game. Baylor was getting the same message this year while they were still undefeated and dominating everyone. All I know is that the CCG never really helped OU and the lack of one certainly didn't hurt this year. We had a slot locked and didn't have to risk a critical injury and our coaches got to recruit. Besides, I don't really give a sh.it if it hurts Baylor. We have a stronger brand and we always play a quality team OOC.

oudivesherpa
12/13/2015, 05:42 PM
I thought that Notre Dame and the Military Academies counted under the "Baylor Rule?"

Anyway, my wife wants to go to the Army game. She's not a football fan as much as she is a fan of going to NYC. (West Point is 40 miles North ).