PDA

View Full Version : Pac-12 commish Larry Scott wants Big 12 to play championship game

Okie35
12/9/2015, 01:05 AM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/college/img25406224.jpg

College football would be better off if the Big 12 stages a conference championship game, said Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott, whose league missed the College Football Playoff this season.

"I'd like to see more consistency (between conferences) rather than less," Scott said. "I'd like to see the Big 12 go to a championship game. I don't think it's good or fair to see a conference not have to win that extra game and have that extra opportunity both for a win and a loss. I don't like the idea that a champion can be in the clubhouse and not put it on the line when, in this case, there are strong teams in other conferences that if they lose can be out of the playoff."

Oklahoma won the Big 12 and made the playoff without a game in the final week. A year ago, the Big 12 missed the playoff when a conference championship game helped Ohio State beat out Baylor and TCU for the final spot.

The Pac-12 is this year's conference left out of the New Year's Eve party. Scott said the final rankings were no surprise given that Stanford lost two games and where earlier rankings placed the Pac-12.

"The irony is this is probably the strongest year the conference has had, and I think clearly we're the deepest conference in the country with 10 of 12 being bowl eligible and the caliber of wins that we've had," Scott said.

There is, of course, some irony that Scott wants the Big 12 to stage a championship game. The Pac-12 made an unsuccessful play for Texas several years ago that caused the Big 12 to lose members and drop below the 12-member, two-division NCAA threshold for a championship game. Scott supports the Big Ten's amendment to NCAA legislation that would allow the Big 12 to stage a championship game with 10 teams, but only between division winners. Deregulating conference championship games will be voted on at the NCAA convention in January.

In reality, the problem for the Pac-12 this year was that it didn't appear to have a truly elite team. The Pac-12 had five different teams ranked in the top 10 this season. Stanford, Oregon, USC, Utah and UCLA finished with a combined 22 losses and only Stanford had fewer than three defeats.

2015 Record vs. Power Five Conferences
Conference Record
SEC 6-5
Big Ten 9-8
Big 12 4-4
Pac 12 4-5
ACC 7-14

Stanford beat Notre Dame but lost to Northwestern and Oregon. USC was never a real playoff contender and lost to Notre Dame out of conference. Oregon got hot late when Vernon Adams was healthy again, but not before falling to Michigan State, Utah and Washington State. Utah helped itself early by defeating Michigan but lost three Pac-12 games.

Even results in lower levels of the conference didn't help the Pac-12. Washington State went 8-4 but lost to Portland State, the No. 5 team in the FCS. Washington looked improved yet had a Week 1 loss to Boise State, which dropped three games in the Mountain West. Colorado brought up the bottom of the Pac-12 South and lost to 3-10 Hawaii.

For several years, some Pac-12 coaches have complained the league would get left out out of the playoff due to nine conference games and a championship game. But this isn't the year to make that argument. Even if the Pac-12 played eight conference games, Stanford still would have faced Northwestern out of conference and Oregon within the North Division.

"The question had no bearing this year with Stanford's candidacy," Scott said. "I think there's a deep level of conviction to play nine games. Our schools like playing each other as much as possible. We think that's doing things the right way and it's good for our fans and good for college football to play the highest caliber competition."

No playoff appearance means the Pac-12 will fail to win a football national championship for the 11th consecutive season, the longest active drought for a Power Five conference. A Pac-12 school other than USC hasn't won a national championship since Washington in 1991.

"On the one hand, I'm absolutely delighted with the development of the conference and the strength and depth and quality of the coaches," Scott said. "I really like the direction we're headed. On the other hand, it's disappointing for Stanford not to be in it, but that's the nature of the system we've created."

And no, Scott doesn't want an eight-team playoff.

"With a couple plays here or there, Stanford or Oregon would be in the playoff," Scott said. "That's the nature of the competitiveness of college football right now. I think we as commissioners all understand how thin a margin it is between having a team in the playoff and not, and it's not necessarily an indication of the strength of the conference."

No, it's not. Nonetheless, it's the Pac-12's turn in the outhouse.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25406227/pac-12-commissioner-larry-scott-wants-big-12-to-play-conference-title-game

Judging how the conference has a losing record against OOC power 5 teams... yea buddy you have the deepest conference ha if a pac-12 made it in the playoff he wouldn't even be crying about it

I love how the article called him out on his BS regarding this years results.

delhalew
12/9/2015, 01:10 AM
Larry Scott can mind his own damn business.

Breadburner
12/9/2015, 08:21 AM
These ****ing dip****s just dont get it......

delhalew
12/9/2015, 08:26 AM
Dividing ten teams into divisions would be ****ing stupid.

If Scott is going to cry about something, it should be conferences 0laying only 8 conference games.

yermom
12/9/2015, 08:45 AM
i think 9 conference games encourages cupcakes, and makes scheduling more boring

playing two P5 conference teams would be way better

delhalew
12/9/2015, 08:57 AM
How so?
Still leaves 3 ooc games.
Probably 1 power 5, 1 group of 5, and 1 FCS for most teams.
Programs are realizing they need to step up scheduling.

delhalew
12/9/2015, 09:00 AM
I really want every conference to match up with another P5 conference each year, and schedule home and homes with an additional P5 school.
That still leaves room for a group of 5 school, or FCS if you must.

bmjlr
12/9/2015, 09:25 AM
Screw him. If I am not mistaken...and I am not...he had no problem not having a conference championship when USC was winning national championships, and the Big 10 had no problem sending OSU to the title game not having a conference championship, when the Big 12 did. Now that they a conference championship, they don't see how the Big 12 can get away with it. Loser.

Pride1Mom
12/9/2015, 09:34 AM
Screw him. If I am not mistaken...and I am not...he had no problem not having a conference championship when USC was winning national championships, and the Big 10 had no problem sending OSU to the title game not having a conference championship, when the Big 12 did. Now that they a conference championship, they don't see how the Big 12 can get away with it. Loser.

Exactly!! The Big XII had a championship game which if OU had not won would not have gone to the NC. Short term memory loss......

FaninAma
12/9/2015, 09:48 AM
It's easy to see what going on here. First the Big 10, PAC 10 and SEC snipe 4 teams from the Big 12 then the Big 10(G) steps in to block the current Big 12's request for a CCG. Now the commish for the PAC 12 demands the Big 12 have a CCG. They've created a catch-22 situation that makes it impossible for the Big 12 to go forward unless we add some mid level teams that will weaken the conference. The other conference's see the Big 12 as weakened and vulnerable. By making sure that it continues to weaken they understand that their conferences can come in and pick up the few remaining marquee programs while at the same time increasing the appeal and television rights negotiating strength in the future.

The Big 12 is the wounded wildebeast and the other P-5 conferences are the hungry hyenas.

oupride
12/9/2015, 02:18 PM
You could be right.

SoonerMarkVA
12/9/2015, 02:32 PM
It's easy to see what going on here. First the Big 10, PAC 10 and SEC snipe 4 teams from the Big 12 then the Big 10(G) steps in to block the current Big 12's request for a CCG. Now the commish for the PAC 12 demands the Big 12 have a CCG. They've created a catch-22 situation that makes it impossible for the Big 12 to go forward unless we add some mid level teams that will weaken the conference. The other conference's see the Big 12 as weakened and vulnerable. By making sure that it continues to weaken they understand that their conferences can come in and pick up the few remaining marquee programs while at the same time increasing the appeal and television rights negotiating strength in the future.

The Big 12 is the wounded wildebeast and the other P-% conferences are the hungry hyenas.

The first 3 slots are settled: Pac-12, B1G, and SEC

The battle was for the 4th slot, between ACC and XII.

The ACC was proactive and locked in FSU and Clemson. If we'd been bold, we could likely have swiped FSU, Clemson and a couple others (UM and VT, e.g.) and then the ACC would be outside looking in.

As usual, the XII leadership blew it. Big time. We are, already, bleeding out. How long? Who knows?

TheHumanAlphabet
12/9/2015, 03:50 PM
Larry Scott will mean something to me when he overturns the Oregon game score and awards us the victory like we should have had it and apologizes for the horrendous officiating in the game.

SoCalBigRed
12/9/2015, 05:11 PM
Wow, I know this place is PG-13...

My response would be censored.

The last dude on this planet that should be commenting, however.

tycat947
12/9/2015, 05:44 PM
I think the bottom line here is Big 12 teams are making more money per team AND making the playoff. Last year they didn't care since the Big 12 missed the playoff. Eff them!

badger
12/9/2015, 09:29 PM
If the PAC 12 et al didn't steal some of our teams wwd still have enough to have a conference championship game... Not that I want Colorado back. No refunds or exchanges on the buffies

tycat947
12/10/2015, 11:13 AM
If the PAC 12 et al didn't steal some of our teams wwd still have enough to have a conference championship game... Not that I want Colorado back. No refunds or exchanges on the buffies

I think they (PAC 12, B1G) would probably like to see Big 12 dismantled so they could go after OU, tu and probably KU (for basketball). PAC 12, especially, doesn't look like it's going to get to the level of SEC or B1G. They just don't have the rabid interest so I think they'd love to grab onto OU, tu, KU and another to bring them further east and open them up to more exposure.

oupride
12/10/2015, 11:35 AM
The fact is the PAC 12 CCG was played this year with absolutely NOTHING riding on the outcome. Got to love that aspect of things. They are in bed with the B1G for eternity with the Rose bowl. Don't forgert that.

JoeR
12/10/2015, 11:39 AM
So this year the UT-BU game would have been played a week earlier and OU would have had to play OSU 2 weeks in a row to win conference. How stupid would that have been? Ten team conferences that play every team do not need a CCG, anyone with a brain can see that. I assume the playoff commitee members have brains.

tycat947
12/10/2015, 04:43 PM
So this year the UT-BU game would have been played a week earlier and OU would have had to play OSU 2 weeks in a row to win conference. How stupid would that have been? Ten team conferences that play every team do not need a CCG, anyone with a brain can see that. I assume the playoff commitee members have brains.

You know what happens when you assume, right??? :highly_amused: