PDA

View Full Version : Big XII may need to add two more teams for a CCG

deweydw
12/7/2015, 10:14 AM
The B1G conference is blocking the Big XII CCG effort. LINK (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/6/9859054/big-12-championship-game-big-ten-bob-bowlsby)

The Big 12 has been hoping to get championship game rules deregulated, allowing it to add a championship game even with only 10 members and no divisions. However, thanks to a last-minute amendment filed by the Big Ten, the deregulation effort could fail, as commissioner Bob Bowlsby told ESPN:

FaninAma
12/7/2015, 10:18 AM
The B1G conference is blocking the Big XII CCG effort. LINK (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/6/9859054/big-12-championship-game-big-ten-bob-bowlsby)

Interesting. The Big1G helps to facilitate the breakup of the Big 12 by recruting Nebraska away then they block any attempt to compete for equal consideration in the CFB playoffs. I wonder if Nebraska regrets its decision to become a perrrenial also-ran in the Big1G conference.?

tycat947
12/7/2015, 10:27 AM
Dr Tom and Barry Alvarez (NU alum) are fighting the B1G fight. Notice 3 B1G teams in Top 7 of rankings although B1G is horrible.

rock on sooner
12/7/2015, 11:27 AM
Here's my take, at least for this year. (Assuming a champ game). After
the thumping of the Pokes, we play whomever. With another week of
practice and likely 50 or 60 more points scored, we jump everybody to
#1 in the CFP, get MSU in the Cotton Bowl, win convincingly and go to
Glendale after 18-20 days of high intensity practice, lay waste to whom-
ever for #8 and become odds on favorite to repeat in 2016!

Fantasy for certain. But, as long as the Air Raid is in vogue, (remember
the "Bone? and how long it took for the defenses to catch up?) I don't
think the B1G, Pac 12, SEC and, to a certain extent, ACC can defend
HEALTHY Air Raid offenses consistently. There is a big hunt for dual
threat QB's...there is one each in B1G (Barrett), SEC (Prescott) ACC
(Watson) and the PAC12 (the OR QB, name?). There at least five in
the Big 12, so I think the powers that be elsewhere want the Big 12 to
stay at 10 and cannibalize one another.

Oops, I dropped my Crimson colored glasses...'scuse me.

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2015, 11:30 AM
Having a CCG in a 10 team conference is a bad idea. Way too high odds of having a rematch which can do lots of damage and rarely does good. We either need some positive realignment to add a couple of good teams or just live with the current situation which is sometimes an advantage, sometimes not.

delhalew
12/7/2015, 11:33 AM
I don't really care if we have a championship game and I am against watering down the conference with inferior teams.
But am pretty sick of the B1G in every way possible. Pretentious, overrated pain in the ***, if you ask me.

badger
12/7/2015, 11:40 AM
My talking tin foil hat says that they put B1G vs SEC in semifinal to ensure one of them in the title game. They did the same thing last year, as you may recall.

If it's three years in a row, the fix is in?

rock on sooner
12/7/2015, 11:52 AM
Badj, you may be right but look at the setup now...two pretty
compelling stories....Sooner payback + BV vs Stoops and Saban
vs Dantonio + Saban coached MSU. I can just see all the research
and human interest approaches at ESPN.

As an aside, the Striker interview yesterday was refreshing and
provided a little insight into the Sooner mindset. I'll repeat myself
from another thread. I got that 2000 feeling after Tennessee...jus sayin..

oupride
12/7/2015, 12:02 PM
As an aside, the Striker interview yesterday was refreshing and
provided a little insight into the Sooner mindset.

Hungry.

oupride
12/7/2015, 12:21 PM
I got distracted with rock on's post. Sorry, what I wanted to say is what I has been my soapbox for a couple of years and that is: The Big 12 needs to expand to 14 or 16 teams and do it quickly. I was astonished and quite frankly shocked that the Big 12 Commish was quoted as saying "I don't think it's critical mass for expansion". http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/wvu/2015/07/21/Big-12-Commissioner-No-immediate-plans-for-expansion/stories/201507210060
Well obviously, I do and if he can't read the tea leaves from this past 2 seasons then he needs to go. Baylor and TCU were shut out of the playoffs last year and many believe that it was because the Big 12 has no CCG. Heck, even OU Pres. Boren said the league is “psychologically disadvantaged”! (Did you know he is a Rhodes Scholar?)
Anyway, although I do not know WHO the 4 or 6 teams would be to invite, I think 4 is reasonable goal to attain for the reasons:
1. Expand the TV viewership (more $$$)
2. Grow beyond 12 teams to protect from what happened before if a couple decide to leave, whereas you could still play a CCG.
Either way, I am positive it will be addressed next summer's media days.
Okay, that's my soap box and I'm steppin off now.
Boomer!

delhalew
12/7/2015, 12:45 PM
Meh. I'm more interested in the aforementioned Striker interview.
Where was that?

Soonerjeepman
12/7/2015, 12:54 PM
I would say IF Stanford has not lost 1 of their games then they would have been in and not OU. That in itself is compelling enough.

5 power conf...only 4 spots. Guess which one gets left out if all even? The one without a conf playoff game.

delhalew
12/7/2015, 12:58 PM
Unless your name is Oklahoma and you schedule tOSU and Houston, as we have next season.

Soonerjeepman
12/7/2015, 01:01 PM
Unless your name is Oklahoma and you schedule tOSU and Houston, as we have next season.

true...OU doesn't back down. but 3 of our 4 wins against top 25 cfp teams are conf teams...that won't happen every year.

delhalew
12/7/2015, 01:04 PM
This conference will always get a reasonable amount of respect whether some on the committee like it or not...
Unless we scramble to add subpar teams that only drag us down.
Another game is not worth that poison pill.

swardboy
12/7/2015, 01:05 PM
My biggest gripe AGAINST a conference playoff game is those dang outdoor championship games. It is inevitably soooo cold by that time of the year. Only the St. Louis Edward Jones dome or the San Antonio stadium are indoor, but those aren't really Big 12 towns. I know, I know, football is meant to be an outdoor game, but give me a break.

delhalew
12/7/2015, 01:06 PM
And I am surprised to find that I like it at four finalists.
I hate the NFL, and can't imagine the damage 8 or 16 teams in the playoffs would do to the most compelling sport on this planet. College football.

Breadburner
12/7/2015, 01:10 PM
We didn't need a CCG...We ****ing played everybody.....

rock on sooner
12/7/2015, 02:15 PM
oupride, hope you didn't hurt anything getting off the "box" :biggrin:. I don't
know who the teams should be, except no more Texas teams. I think
Colorado St., Air Force, BYU out west and Cincy, Louisville and Memphis
represent a six team pool to look at. I don't think 6 should be the number,
two more is more like it, 4 at the most. There is good football and round
ball in those six so the hunting ground is fairly fertile.

rock on sooner
12/7/2015, 02:20 PM
Meh. I'm more interested in the aforementioned Striker interview.
Where was that?

It was on ESPN after the CFP announcements. I looked on Youtube
and it wasn't there, so I don't know where to link you...sorry...

delhalew
12/7/2015, 02:37 PM
It was on ESPN after the CFP announcements. I looked on Youtube
and it wasn't there, so I don't know where to link you...sorry...

No worries. At this point I can just about imagine what he said!

tycat947
12/7/2015, 03:20 PM
I don't really care if we have a championship game and I am against watering down the conference with inferior teams.
But am pretty sick of the B1G in every way possible. Pretentious, overrated pain in the ***, if you ask me.

+1!

tycat947
12/7/2015, 03:22 PM
My biggest gripe AGAINST a conference playoff game is those dang outdoor championship games. It is inevitably soooo cold by that time of the year. Only the St. Louis Edward Jones dome or the San Antonio stadium are indoor, but those aren't really Big 12 towns. I know, I know, football is meant to be an outdoor game, but give me a break.

JerryWorld is indoor stadium with the roof shut.

ddub0224
12/7/2015, 04:03 PM
I didn't like the CCG when we had it but I think it is less of a liability than the current "play everyone" system from a conference standpoint. The other conferences can can get multiple teams in the top 10 and a handful in the top 15 because they don't all play each other. That makes the conference look stronger. It is unrealistic for the Big 12 to ever have more than 2 in the top 10 at the end of the year because of the math. Either we have 3 1-loss teams, or our third best team will have 2-losses. And as long as the 2-loss teams are TCU, Baylor, or OSU, then they don't have the "name" weight to keep them up in the rankings with a 2-loss big name program.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/9/2015, 04:21 PM

True. I think the Big XII needs a championship game much more than Oklahoma does. Still I think it is in the best interest of Oklahoma for the league to have a championship game. They might not realize it yet but I think it is in Notre Dame's best interest now to be in a league. Would like to get in the habit of getting to beat ND on a regular basis. I'm not opposed to 14 teams though I think 12 is just fine. I'm not THAT concerned about exactly which 2 teams they are because I don't think Oklahoma's prestige and national respect is tied to who those teams are. I would say in rough order I would go after: Notre Dame, Lousiville, Memphis, Houston, BYU, Colorado St or Air Force.

Again I think the Big 12 needs it worse than Oklahoma but it would help us too.

tycat947
12/9/2015, 05:04 PM
The committee keeps talking out both sides of their a$$! First it's supposed to be the BEST 4 teams. NOW, they want only conference champions. AND they must be crowned champions thru a championship game! NONSENSE! The Big 12 has a conference champion! They keep moving the target! If a stupid championship game is required (whether or not all the conference teams play each other and determine a true champion!) then STATE that in the requirements! They need to take the politics out, or they should get out!

SoonerMarkVA
12/9/2015, 07:56 PM
I didn't like the CCG when we had it but I think it is less of a liability than the current "play everyone" system from a conference standpoint. The other conferences can can get multiple teams in the top 10 and a handful in the top 15 because they don't all play each other. That makes the conference look stronger. It is unrealistic for the Big 12 to ever have more than 2 in the top 10 at the end of the year because of the math. Either we have 3 1-loss teams, or our third best team will have 2-losses. And as long as the 2-loss teams are TCU, Baylor, or OSU, then they don't have the "name" weight to keep them up in the rankings with a 2-loss big name program.

This is a fascinating point that I had never considered, nor (obviously) ever heard before. You really nailed it. We're promoting the "all teams play" as such a feather in our cap, and you completely destroyed that by showing the conference really can't have multiple contenders going into the end of the year, ensuring those teams beaten don't count for nearly as much as they would otherwise.

Well done!

Jacie
12/9/2015, 09:09 PM
Notre Dame managed to play for the 2012 national championship and almost got into the playoff this year w/o conference affiliation. I don't think the irish need help from anyone in football. Yeah the Big XII can make an overture, extend to them an invitation to join, just don't get bent out of shape when they return the envelope unopened.

SoonerMarkVA
12/10/2015, 07:44 AM
The Irish are generally getting what they need in their alliance with the ACC. There will be no ND to the XII.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/10/2015, 08:44 AM
The Irish are generally getting what they need in their alliance with the ACC. There will be no ND to the XII.

You might be right. I don't think we will ever know until the committee is put in a position like they almost were this year of choosing Notre Dame or a conference champion. We learned very little about the committee this year because there was no real choice to be made this year.

Personally I don't care that much if it is ND that would join the Big XII but I think expanding to 12 teams in a good idea and they are the best choice to start. I would totally be fine if it was Memphis and Houston. It is a secondary concern but Baker Mayfield is not going to New York because he didn't have a game last Saturday. Primarily I think having that 13th game will over time help us.

Soonerjeepman
12/10/2015, 11:30 AM
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=210564801

Zach Ty and Eric interviews...on right side not sure if this is the one..

stoopified
12/10/2015, 01:53 PM
IF we are going to have a CCG we MUST add at least 2 teams t divide into divisions so we will not always be assured of a rematch game as we currently are. In adding teams teams I think it is unlikely we would land any Power 5 conference teams so we are looking fo scholls with potential much like WV and TCU.

In that way of thinking I think the first thing is we do NOT add any more Texas teams as we already saturate the Texas market .I would suggest schools who show a history of success long term even without having been a Power 5 team.To this end I would that choosing 2-4 teams from these institutions;Bowling Green,Ohio,Cincinatti,Toledo,Miami of Ohio.That would do several things for you,among other thiadd a huge recruiting footprint in talent rich Ohio. It also opens up a new area of TV markets and fans.In addition it would give WV some geographical rivals so they are not isolated from the entirety of the Big 12'The final factr is it would limit us to two time zones unlike adding BYU or Air Force or(gag) Boise State.

hawaii 5-0
12/10/2015, 02:12 PM
My 2 cents.....

I'd be OK with adding Rice and Houston. Get back to 12 teams with a Conference Championship Game.

Louisville would be OK also.

5-0

deweydw
12/10/2015, 04:12 PM
I'd like to see either Louisville or Cincy and lure Iowa away from the B1G.

deweydw
12/10/2015, 04:31 PM
Another article (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/college-gridiron-365/os-big-12-ucf-title-game-20151209-post.html) on the Big XII expansion. It's all the same as the other story. But had to get to the bottom of the article to get this...

Several schools including UCF and USF have long-been rumored as possible candidates if the league decides to expand. Other schools rumored to be considered have been BYU, Houston, Cincinnati and Memphis.

It’s no secret that UCF and its fan base would love to see the school make the move to a Power 5 conference in the future. The Knights have climbed up through the Mid-American, Conference USA and now American Athletic Conference.

Proponents of a move point out that the school would provide the Big 12 with a large student body as well as a key television market, not to mention providing the league with a foothold in the state of Florida – a recruiting hotbed for college football.

ddub0224
12/14/2015, 04:45 PM
The Big 12 missed their shot at landing Louisville. And let's be real, we are not stealing any teams away from another Power 5 conference. We can talk TV markets, but its the play on the field (and other major sports most notably basketball) that will make the decision. If the Big 12 expands, my money is on Memphis, Cincy, or Houston and probably in that order.

ddub0224
12/14/2015, 04:59 PM
Geographically you could do 2 scenarios:

#1 adding Cincy & Memphis
North division: Iowa St, 2 Kansas schools, WV, Cincy, Memphis
South divison: 2 OK schools and 4 TX schools
*north would be pathetic compared to south

#2 adding USF and UCF
North division: 2 OK schools, 2 Kansas schools, WV and Iowa St
South division: 4 TX schools and 2 FL schools

TAFBSooner
12/18/2015, 04:44 PM
Geographically you could do 2 scenarios:

#1 adding Cincy & Memphis
North division: Iowa St, 2 Kansas schools, WV, Cincy, Memphis
South divison: 2 OK schools and 4 TX schools
*north would be pathetic compared to south

#2 adding USF and UCF
North division: 2 OK schools, 2 Kansas schools, WV and Iowa St
South division: 4 TX schools and 2 FL schools

I still want to see the line be I-40. OSwho can finally win a "championship,"

. . . and we get to beat them twice a year!

This is more a fun taunt for my orange friends than a realistic plan.

swardboy
12/19/2015, 11:36 AM
I've always thought that USF would put the whole conference in a great recruiting hotbed. Nice stadium. I've got family in Tampa so I need an excuse to fly down there too :0

yermom
12/19/2015, 02:15 PM
geographically, Memphis and Houston aren't bad

i honestly don't think it matters too much

going back down to 8 conference games and adding a CCG would be cool

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/19/2015, 02:23 PM
No more Texas schools

tycat947
12/19/2015, 09:51 PM
No more Texas schools

+1000! In fact, it would be ideal to drop 2 of the 4 we have now, Hypocrite U and TCU!

yermom
12/21/2015, 02:19 AM
why?

if Baylor and TCU weren't there, we never would have made it in this year

no one we are looking at adding would be more competitive than they are

ddub0224
12/22/2015, 03:38 PM
^ thanks for adding logic

JLEW1818
12/22/2015, 11:26 PM
Would you take Tulsa and UohH right now? I would.

yermom
12/23/2015, 12:14 AM
Yeah, I was kinda thinking Houston and Memphis

Tulsa would get rid of an easy to schedule OOC game, and wouldn't expand the footprint

Would make some easy road games though.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/23/2015, 09:18 PM
Would you take Tulsa and UohH right now? I would.

Tulsa is the one school I would not want in the league. I think it helps if the teams are somewhere not already in the big 12 TV market. You could argue that Houston is already but I think with A&M and LSU that Houston is more of an SEC market right now.

yermom
12/24/2015, 12:13 AM
But if we just need a warm body, they are there

As far as i know they are still the smallest FBS school though.

Pride1Mom
12/24/2015, 12:38 PM
Boise State if they changed the turf. I cannot watch that team! BYU, Louisville?